Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Still on 2015, but what are the quickest countries for EU nationality these days? Thought Croatia used to be good and now it need 8 years continuous or some mad poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I'm certain there was a football management game in the early naughts that let you bribe opponents to throw the game (which could be leaked to the media) but I can't remember which it was

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Bring back the deliberate foul button and the referee strictness slider

E: also yes that was it - I remember the mad indepth training. Guess I just bought it late?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I like the extra touch of realistic detail that megabastards always get 5-6 minutes of extra time when they're losing

I too love multiple highlights where the ref lets us go several minutes past the end of stoppage time

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Mrenda posted:

LLM woes

I almost always play LLM games. I'm currently sitting at the bottom end of League Two with Blyth Spartans, which took me six seasons from Vanarama North. Not too happy with how long it's taken but we'll see.

Here's some useful things I picked up for 18, in case you haven't thought of these yet:

-Go mad with trials. Once they leave after a week you'll have perfect knowledge of them. Never waste your limited scout availability on an unattached player.
- Any parent team will be worth your while. Loan their worst youth players, who will still be at your level, and snap them up permanently a year or two down the line when their parent releases them on frees.
- Arranging lucrative friendlies in preseason (hell, during less busy weeks of the season if you can) will drag in a bit of cash.
-Back to back promotions is disasterous and should be avoided.
- With the Vanarama North title under your belt you might be able to step into international youth team management for a weaker nation: I'm managing Canada u23s on the side and using that knowledge to snap up Canadians with EU nationality from their surprisingly good amateur leagues.

Basically the tough thing is finding good talent, so anything that lets you know of more players is good.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

NutShellBill posted:

I also love the challenge in starting off in the lowest of the low British leagues. (Weston super Mare and Bath are my poisons of choice.) And I beeline for the Canadian job, because I'm Canadian, and legit have an inkling of who is decent, and an undue sense of national pride.

My question to you is:

How do you get past the work permits? Without fail, I am always told they are being denied a work permit. I appeal, and still no go. I've even hired guys who playing in the Vanarama leagues the year before, only to have their permit expire, and have them sent back to their home country.

Yeah, sorry - I rolled a soft Brexit with no changes to the English league rules. So I just have a filter for Canadians with a second EU nationality, of which there's enough for my needs.

E: I should also note that u23 gigs are for Olympics and their qualifiers only, so they're low rep, infrequent games on a four-year cycle. U19 or u21 roles will be more fun. On the plus side AI managers don't seem at all interested in u23 roles. I got the Canada knowledge though.

Obliterati fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 17, 2018

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I would kill for a goon multiplayer league

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Drone posted:

Well this was certainly unexpected at the beginning of my first season in League 2:

Trying to do a VNN-to-EPL save so I'm going to reject it, but the offer is kinda tempting (even if Canada is poo poo at soccer, and it's not my home country)

Depending on your Brexit Canada/EU citizens are common and can actually be a fantastic untapped source of quality players for League Two

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

NutShellBill posted:

Still playing an old FM 2017 save file, and I just don't understand the British Work Permit system.

There's points, it's based on salary, and being in the premier league, and I just want to sign some Canadian boys for my Sky Bet 2 Weston super Mare squad.

So... from what I can understand, Canadian born players without eligibility are right out, unless I want to loan them out for around 5 full years.

What about players like Fraser Aird?

I realize that he's not a household name, so here's his situation:

- Born in Canada
- Trained in Scotland, under Rangers. Currently plays for Brechin, in Scotland and has been playing there since 2010. According to my math, since he was 15. (Currently 23 in my save)
- Selected to my international team a couple of times. He's a fringe player for the Canadian National squad, but he'd be top 3 on my local team slated for relegation. (But actually worrying me by threatening promotion for the 3rd straight season.)
- I think he'd rank in my top 25% for earners, but I'm not sure that matters because I'm in Sky Bet 2.
- I'm his favourite personel :3

There's no guarantee of him being interested, but can I pursue players like this, without running into the rejected work permit fist? I'd actually spend transfer money on this guy. I NEVER do that. I just poach unhappy young players who want to leave for playing time and then... give them playing time.

Might be considered a home grown player on account of his training, but unless he exercises his right to UK nationality based on time resided, no permit.

If you want Canadians at your level, filter by second nationality. EU nationals don't need permits. I did this in League 2 using my knowledge from running their u23s.

e: 4/5 of my posts in this thread are on work permit shenanigans for Canadians, smh

Obliterati fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 28, 2019

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Boycotting FM until they give me back my liberos

In all seriousness like all of these annual sports games things never improve or change that much over a year, just buy it once every two or three. Especially when FM '21 is pretty decent.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I just want the AssMan to suggest things I already agree with, and I'll just keep firing them annually until I find one that does

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Azhais posted:

It was, now it's useless.

Another good reason to stop buying the annual reskin

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

karmicknight posted:

wish granted

extremely worth it

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

JustJeff88 posted:

A long shot, but is there any mechanic in any of the recent FM games to force Britain, or any nation for that matter, (back) into the EU?

You can use the pregame editor for this. Groupings like the EU are just lists of countries, you could add them back in and start a new game with that modded database. You're poo poo out of luck if you're asking for an existing save, though

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Adrianics posted:

I wasn't being serious lol

I got promoted from L1 to the Championship, we were taken over by a tycoon who promised £40 million for new players then he made our transfer budget £450k as opposed to £200k?? Bullshit

Perfect simulation of reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
The scariest part of the Goon multiplayer league was not being able to savescum the team meetings