Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

youre in for a ride, OP. its good that youre playing SM first too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Benny D posted:

Apparently o can't get back out until I get a new item or find a new route. My only options are a room that eats my health too fast for me to get through or a hallway with doors that close really fast. There's a tunnel below and one up top with a monster in it but I'm bombing everything and can't find a way in.

i got stuck at that part too my first time :)

if you want a hint, go to the very tall orange room and try getting to the bottom. to the right there'll be a big room where you need the super jump to reach something.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Benny D posted:

After a ton of backtracking & bombing literally everything I found a "spazer" and a big monster that gave me a new space suit. The music in this game
Is sick

beaten. i was stuck at pre-kraid forever

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

this reminds me: RIP widestancer

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the 360 controller is fine and a huge upgrade from a keyboard lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i personally set it to

X shoot
A jump
R run
L angle up (you p much never have to angle down)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

rediscover posted:

congratulations on destroying phantoon with seemingly no problems at all, which is impressive.

benny D is a natural. found kraid quickly and then blazed through a tough boss.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i think any pad is better than a kb for this kind of game but beyond that its really dumb to argue over specific controllers. i mean i dont think the OP is doing crazy poo poo like mockballs anyway

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

aria of sorrow is some ownage. im emulating the psx so i can finally play symphony, it will be my first time playing it :)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

He's super easy with the right charge combo iirc

i didnt even know those were in the game my first time through, i was blown away when i looked at a guide and samus has all these secret ultimate finishers

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Benny D posted:

Other than grappling being a little hard at first playing on keyboard really isn't hard. I can wall jump & stuff just fine. What is a mockball

you use a little trick to keep your speed out of a jump in morphball mode, it comes in handy for some puzzles and lets you get some important items early

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

RIP AM2R. has a great demo but when you have to use the spiderball to crawl every pixel of a huge rear end room to make progress lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

very few games hold a candle 2 the holy grail of gaming that is MP1. MP2 is good but full of weird poo poo like dumbass backtracking segments, and while the music is really good the areas are devoid of life or anything interesting until like the last 30% of the game when you get to the ghost in the shell cyberpunk city

metroid prime 3 just loving nags you constantly with story and tutorial poo poo, and also has a pretty bizarre backtracking quest

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

here you are, at the space pirate base, everything has been leading up to this moment: poo poo is about to get real. btw go right back to the area you just beat and are probably sick of and get the spiderball

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

SM64Guy posted:

i liked the cyberpunk place in 3

i motherfucking LOVE everything about 3 except pretty much every scene where there's voice acting and getting calls from Good Mother Brain every 5 loving minutes telling you what to do

i mean, i guess they felt pressured to swing in a new direction because metroid games dont do well commercially and they figured "well people must not like it because they feel lost so let's hold the player's hand" but they took it too far. the hint system in 1 was the perfect balance of letting you explore and guiding you in a general direction

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

frank.club posted:

Prime 3 has one of the best moments in the series when you listen to the Aura Unit log where it gets taken over by phaze. The whole derelict cruiser part was tense

the abandoned ship in 3 was genius. it looked loving cool, it grew more and more infested with metroids and space poo poo as you progressed through the game, and while you only needed a couple of not-artifacts to progress to the finale, you needed to find them all to get to that secret room with that log and get the final missile upgrade

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

some of the puzzles to get the secret optional power cells were loving crazy too, some of the best parts of the game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

All 3 Primes have a ton of backtracking, and it only really bothers me in 3 because of the ship cutscenes. The Sky Temple key quest is exactly the same as the Artifact quest in 1, down to the fact that you can pick most of the keys/artifacts way before you need them. Hell, I enjoy both quests because they test your knowledge of the game world. Treasure hunting is fun.

i feel the artifact quest is handled even better in 2 because the final upgrade, on top of being a really badass suit, lets you teleport between the worlds and take a bunch of new shortcuts that make exploring a lot smoother.

mp3, yeah, the main problem was the huge load screens. its def better on the wii but youre still staring at samus' ship a lot

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

MP1: +nearly the perfect video game
-its really easy once you figure out all the enemies and bosses are dumb as hell, there are some spots that still gently caress me up to this day though

MP2: +a lot harder than MP1 +sky sanctuary loving rules +some of the sickest boss fights in gaming
-first half of the game is p dull -dumb fetch quest thrown in the middle of the final act

MP3: +beautiful +best game combat-wise
-constant nagging -big load times - elysia is the worst area to explore in any metroid game, its built like a loving maze and even the map is confusing

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

my favorite moment out of all the primes is when you walk out into the sunlight in the middle of the hidden pirate base in MP1 and get attacked by jetpack troops for the first time, and its just a gauntlet w/ waves and waves of pirates with that awesome pirate theme blaring, everything blowing up and full of lasers. it really looked spectacular in 02 and its still awesome

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the thermal vision scene in mp1 was the first time my dad looked at a game i was playing and said "woah thats cool as gently caress, did i buy you this game?"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

a friend lent it to me, but he liked watching me play it so much he bought me 2 for christmas ;)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

he still refers to it as "el juego con las chochas que vuelan" (the game with the flying pussies, in reference to metroids)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bolverkur posted:

your dad rules lmao

hes really chill, and im glad he financially supported my love of metroid :)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

metroids are extremely vaginal, i know because ive hosed one before.

e: a vagina i mean

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Nothing requires mockball, it's a glitch that you can use to sequence break. I wouldn't try to use it for one area you can't get past

OP if youre where i think you are, def dont try to glitch past it. you could get stuck for good. try coming back there later, there is a mid-late game upgrade that lets you move normally underwater

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

maridia is chilling and has cool music but its a loving bitch to play

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

also the boss in my av is horrible unless you know the secret trick to beating it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

it starts off as barely doable at all and you have the tiniest window to get missiles into his belly, then in the latter part of the flight he flies by in like 3 frames and i dont know how tf youre expected to beat that without save states

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Aston posted:

It took me a whole bunch of tries. I'm guessing the "secret trick" is what's in your avatar?

that doesnt even kill him i think, just a TASer showing off.

the secret is letting him grab you and then grappling an electric field, it fries him in seconds

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

playing a super metroid randomizer where the items were mixed up, i didnt find the grapple beam and it was the first time in many years i had to fight draygon without that trick. what a loving lovely fight tbh

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

the op playing the game for the first time in a normal way is more important than speedrun hacks and tricks form people whove played it 5000 times

true

In Training posted:

He's really not that bad.

yeah yeah hes doable. just not what id call fun

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Maybe it tanked after they put it on the eshop, I haven't checked. It's my most prized possession though.

it hasn't tanked, especially not the limited foil box ones.

i owned the physical copy and bought it on the wiiu anyway lol

The Sharmat posted:

the Wii Prime Trilogy retroactively added the springball to Prime 1 and 2 and this is perhaps the greatest crime Nintendo has committed in recent memory

youre dumb, its a nice mobility upgrade and it's not like double bomb jumping in the primes was ever hard.

the timing for infinite bomb jumping in super metroid is really fucky though

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Samus, this is Aurora Unit 242...

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ralp posted:

I stopped playing prime 3 when I got to a giant golem that moves his weak spot around all the time, it didn't even seem like a difficult fight, just really tedious, and I still haven't bothered going back yet.

it's really easy

the wii controls are a big improvement to all the primes

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ralp posted:

Quadraxis is the best boss fight of any Metroid I've played, by a long shot.

its a good boss

omega ridley in 3 is badass though

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

frank.club posted:

Oh I meant the last boss in prime 2 for GameCube

did you know you could just use the annihilator beam to destroy him lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

god that last dark samus fight is so loving bad lol no i was talking about emperor ing. in his final phase he switches between light and dark vulnerabilities to gently caress you up but you can just mash the shooty button w/ annihilator to kill him in like 1 minute lol

i also later found out you can screw attack his backside to instantly kill him or deal massive damage, which is just ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

frank.club posted:

I've never done the screw attack thing because it's hard to score an accurate hit with it in the primes. Was it even in 3 I don't remember? But yeah the annihilator beam ruins him. Dark Samus is the epitome of final metroid bosses though

the screw attack was in 3, but it was an early mid-game upgrade and it got a pretty severe nerf. one of my main complaints about the game tbh lol the screw attack is like samus' ultimate upgrade, i mean it's cool the game had a true plasma beam that wrecked poo poo near the end but :(

• Locked thread