Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!

sneakyfrog posted:

oh ok then. Crisis response folks are ok since i actually patch my poo poo and try to keep up with current poo poo.

hows life these brave new shadowbrokery days friendo?

I like people like you, you can stay 😁!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

What do we have here...... Some extremely strong 15 inch gold things. Speedline 2000 series to be more precise. As I am investigating parallel importing I was able to get them for a price that was quite cheap.

The reason for all this expenditure ( If you didn't see the earlier posts) are these sexy things. Monstrous AP brakes sporting 32mm wide Brake rotors and WRC brake pads.

The rear...So nice I'm posting the pics again. Reality only does them justice.

Good enough to get the WRCTank to 8th outright in the APRC round in Canberra. The other notable fact is the rotors diameter expands by 4-6 mm when stinking hot.

We were going toe to toe with the winner of the Pacific Cup and we lost to them by 1 1/2 corner overshoots (about 3/4 of a Minute) Impressive does not even describe these things. you want to pull the front of the car into the bank to corner hug? Press a tiny bit harder. Is the rear hung in a ditch and its all about to be expensive? Flick the bias valve forward and stomp the brakes whilst jamming it down a gear and flattening it.

Now I know how the WRC boys do it!

If your wife comes with you to your mates workshop what else do you do besides teach her to strip and fit tyres. Any comment I can put here can be misconstrued so I'm saying nothing. But I did put a ring on it... Just saying.... SuperService crew instructing on the fine art of Big round things. She also does double duty as the PR Manager/Promogirl which has raised our profile considerably.

And a trial fit on a APRC car in its natural state. Pretty proud of how it looks!

The Second bonus of Marriage is the CHU got a happy new home and a pet Dog. Dog not pictured, The Dog seems to like the CHU and hangs out under him. Ironside also resides there as well and they happily stink out the neighbours when they start.

So I got a wife who is a hoon, a kid who is drat cheeky, a Mortgage, a Dirty big carport and a Shed (That's now becoming a second Garage to then use to build the new Rallycar, (yes, another one, But more on that in 2 months, I'm collecting parts).

I think I won big time.

And the new KB/ KBPromogirl project. You may recognise this car from such posts as Look what KB Brought in the UK, HD builds a Rallycar, the Cowboy brother has a new RX and KB Is a borderline Alco because of his ex-wife but this is actually good because the wife he will get is way cooler.

Promogirl likes cars with pop up headlights and hates seeing RX7's in the storage paddock at my mates.

The Interior was damaged by water, Vogon Engineering raided the S5 Motor for the Hi Compression rotors which then went into the Blue RX7, then HD raided the rest to fix his RX7. New carpet is ordered and the headlining should be ordered this week. Fortunately one of the cousins did an Aus spec N/A-JDM turbo conversion so I've got the better direct fire coil system ECU/Wiring and replacement front end electrics.

From last count I have owned this car 4 times.....

Kaptainballistik fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 3, 2017

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

And I bet him $5 it would start.

Just putting it out there....

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

To keep the other side of the Garage up to date.

Lots of exhaust work for Rally of South Australia. As usual I cannot show any part of what I did because of IP... More importantly I dont want competitors to know.....

However it's time to post about Ducatis.... Once I get this last fairing on...

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

So "apparently" it is the 3rd Rx8 6 speed conversion in the world , the first in a pre RX7 rotary and the only one we know of in a RX2, and I'm apparently the first to then use the RX8 series 2 gearbox in anything...... Heyward rotary worked out the Rx7 clutch mount, I figured the gearbox mount out. It's apparently a much easier fit into a FD however.

I still think it pales to the fact the car has power steering... Or the fact it's fully road regoed with a 12 point chrome moly rollcage.

Yes people, you can drive by a police officer and they leave you alone....

The Rx8 series one has the better ratios and is quite fine for road use. It just wears out the Dog teeth on the gears too quickly.

Kaptainballistik fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 29, 2017

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Oh yeah.... I also just Purchased a WRX 😂

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

I Think I've stopped trying to tell him one project car at a time........... We are looking for a factory unit now....

Now, for a video of KB wine tasting.... https://www.facebook.com/kaptainballistik/videos/10155041672098723/

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Cue some of my spares going missing 😂

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Note: if its a GG8 or Gc8... I don't know and I don't look at ancient technology....

For a GDB:

05-07 STi Rear arms are 5mm longer than a WRX-Pre 04 STi So the car's track is 10mm wider on the rear. This Reduces your oversteer.

Yes, Reduces.

06 Spec C and those fantastic derivatives (s204 and RA-R) has the funky Pillow ball bush lateral arms. The Cars are also slightly shorter in wheelbase compared to a "Normal" WRX because the funky pink trailing arm is also shorter. This gives you a wheelbase that gets longer as the suspension squats and is hence more stable when you land the sucker from big air... at around 160KPh this becomes important.

All of the R180 hubs are identical in the rear, There is no such thing as a "wide track" front hub, the 02 on WRX and 05-07 STi are Identical in track. I've used a 180mm handbrake hub with the 160mm Disc and brakeshoes.

Now if you find a set of 2006 S204 front arms you may be pleasantly surprised they come with rose joints on the inner front bushes.

Yes, I have a set,......yes, I'm using them..... No, No one can have them :)

Kaptainballistik fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 29, 2017

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

At the moment I'm looking at a TIG as I also need to fix the very mangled sumpguard....

MRS Ballistik approved straight away.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Chiwie posted:

Ah drat. I figured that computer trickery would make it next to impossible compared to older gens.

Apparently it's a full loom swap and a dash graft in.. That's if you don't have the drive assist stuff...

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

iospace posted:

Effortpost on CVTs:

The ability to keep the engine in at the top of the powerband and always have the perfect gear ratio is why F1 banned them the moment that Williams tested one. If F1 were allowed to use them we might be seeing a different tune by most people here. Maybe not. Anyway.

I think CVTs get a bad rap for few reasons: 1. The most "automatic of automatics". Ok, sure, that's fine if you're "manual or bust!". I won't dispute that.

2. Some people complain that it makes the engine drone because it'll lock the engine at the top of the power band and adjust the gear ratio as the speed changes, and ok, that's also fair.

The big problem though...
3. Makers completely ignore what makes it good because people will complain if you don't have shift points that their car doesn't feel right. They're designed to have the best gear ratio for the job at any given moment, which is why they're the best, but having set "shift points" completely defeats the purpose of them. The other thing is I believe makers aren't as aggressive with the ratio changes in true CVT mode, but don't hold me to that. So CVTs from a performance standpoint suck because people want "shift points", not a "gearbox" that saves them money by always having the best gear ratio for the job.

I will reply.... Prodrive went BACK to a Manual gearbox in the 97 ish WRC car.

Complexity in Motorsport is never a good thing.

Then there is modulating weight transfer with the clutch, drive control mid corner... All the boring stuff that makes a car a racecar.

Kaptainballistik fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 19, 2017

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

McTinkerson posted:

You bet your Fuji Heavy Industries loving rear end I am. Ordering a WRC Bad Boys shirt ASAP as well.

Order off the Facebook page.

The unicorn Teeshirt is $15 bucks more from memory.

Yes... The Unicorn Teeshirt 😂

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Yes, we are up to something.

No, I'm not telling.. It will blow your feeble minds....

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Im loving Discustard that I didnt think of that :D

Because it's trademarked 😂

But wait, isn't it little Ballistik's job to name cars?

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

It's cutie mark time!!!

https://zacatron94.deviantart.com/art/Fluttershy-s-Cutie-Mark-559415274

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

We have a project to solve the bum hopping on a car woth a similar suspension... But it may be a bit too severe 😂

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

14 miles per Imperial gallon, you weren't kidding drat!

It's also got the GTO throttle body fitted, the cold air intake and a reflash... It's got more power than originally AND better fuel economy..... A standard Adventra pushes 24+ L/100 km towing. It's also deceptively quick. Other Commodores steer clear of a traffic light drag..

The running gear appears to be c10/Silverado based for the motor/ Trans.

I haven't decided in Eureka yet. Doing the whole championship pushed my Budget a bit. The car just needs the new balljoints/tie rods /outers fitted as routine maintenance (they have only done 4 WRC's..... Lol) that are sitting in the front seat and a pair of new rear shafts as they have done nearly 3 seasons.

I've also got a new car in the works this going to seriously mess with you lot. It's beyond your comprehension. I think CI's head was blown when I actually got the drivetrain to fit....

I see you doubt me.... Stay tuned.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

slothrop posted:

I recall being on the way back from Mudgee and being passed by a Captiva, over double lines, right in front of a sign alerting them of a passing lane coming up. Then I noticed that the rear drivers side wheel had a severe wobble to it and noped the gently caress back. Never mind the poo poo you see every time you drive on the M4/M5 etc. But a pod filter is dangerous :rolleyes:

twin LS 4WD ute in the spirit of the Dirt Every Day Caddy or GTFO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ChAd3dxXRc

goddamit why can't I just make that url a link!

I have been thinking more a LS3 supercharger and heads would be interesting!

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

iospace posted:

Every time I see you post, I wonder "Did another car get purchased"

I see this time I was probably right :v:

You do not understand the Badness that lies in wait....

I am tempted to tease...

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Fun fact... The Astra is such an epic pile of post processed horse poo that Holden wouldn't even trade one in when they were still within factory warranty.....

And for even greater comedy.. GM sold off GM Europe.... and kept Daewoo....

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Don Dongington posted:

Yeah but Opel still exists, and I wouldn't be surprised if the current Astra was a nicer car than the Cruise either.

The 98 Astra I drove was pretty hooked up tbh, but it started bleeding the owner dry on parts cost within a few years.

The last one before GM sold off Opel was loving garbage.

A Dutch oven from Hillary Clinton would be better than driving a Cruse!

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

The problem is GM and companies like it are loosing market rapidly to companies who WANT to build cars.

GM just wants to build fridges.

Tesla is pushing for Autonomous vehicles but they still want to build a car you can really drive. They like cars. GM just wants an autominous car with no steering. They have lost the point of building cars. People like driving cars.

When the accountants take over, the car company is doomed. Holden in Australia is in a market share freefall as they are now selling heaps of crap . Look at TOYOTA.., they build fridges AND cars you would like to drive.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

I can't think of a single Toyota in the US that isn't a Tundra that I would drive happily.

Tesla is neat tech in a loving horrific package. The fit/finish would be offensive in a 25k car, much less a 100k vehicle. They're the iPhone of cars. Neat looking, inoffensive, and a loving horrible piece of poo poo in every other way.

Toyota 86....

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

jamal posted:

Well, assuming you take off the stock Michelin "green x" low rolling resistance tires.

Meh, Back the bastard in like a Mini on crosplies.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Don Dongington posted:

Frankly if you prefer driving a Camry more than an 86, you probably don't like driving.

poo poo dude, did you also transfer the money for burn cream? 😂

Anyway, I see there is an overriding theme of hating an 86's handling and power....

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

Did Ryobi stop the issue with their cordless drills shocking the piss out of you if you put your hand on the back? That's why I stopped using them.

Nah.... ZAP

Yes they seem fine. The drill and sawzilla seem to kill the smaller batteries. Rattleguns go for years!!!

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Ok, t-5weeks and prepare your minds to be blown....

Criptc? Yes..

AI? Yes

Against the laws of nature? Possibly..

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

At the moment I’m trying to get the front Driveshaft’s to clear the subframe. Everything is either 2 inches too long or half a bolt width out...

For example , The front Driveshaft’s are a Hybrid from 3 different vehicles, and it goes on.. death by a thousand cuts. At least I sorted the steering and we can now move it from the paddock.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Slight Sanction body driven change to the new car....

But it does mean you may see something that isn’t a tease in about 2 weeks....

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Because I’m just a big tease..

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10155031202691324&id=552551323

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

New application sent to CAMS retracting original request.

Motor lined up

Prepare your minds....

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Noooo

But it’s a good way to throw the scent!

Anyways.. sanctioning body tick on concept, we are GO!

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Darchangel posted:

I’m seeing spotwelds drilled out, but I don’t see what Nightmare Moon has to do with that.

I’m finding this all very amusing...🤪

On a crappier note, I had to pull out of the Canberra Asia Pacific round as my contract at work isn’t being extended (because they have extended me too many times for HR....)

Gives me time to mope and build things I guess...

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Yeah, it’s way better than sitting through Barbie!

That’s just painful.

And Rainbow dash is fairly comedic.

Kaptainballistik fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 15, 2018

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Unfortunately I get stuck with playing dolls as my wife doesn’t do it.

Fortunately I’ve now introduced Captain America and Batman to the various version of Barbie . 😂🤪. And even better she now hates Frozen.

There are benefits to this however. If I say I need to put wheels on the car she will come out and help... so I can play dolls....

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

iospace posted:

How long till you buy a parts car for that project?

Oh, it’s been fully rebuilt!

It’s the stuff that used to be on the Chu and the piles of suspension parts we have for the thing that will melt your head!

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

The unfathomable evil has Driveshaft’s!!!!!!!

Now for a tailshaft.....

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If we have the length right, there is more than one.... wait didnt you take one already?

I only needed the inner off that shaft.

It’s such fun mix and matching!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Awaiting CAMS to approve/reject a technical request and it’s 2 weeks to reveal...😁🤪