Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RuanGacho posted:

This is even more interesting then because if true it means that if internal spending is a way to keep down civil unrest you could have more of these rigid governments ( looking at you Iran) facing greater internal pressure if there isnt any outside sources of income to keep things running.

This is literally a huge part of why Iran wants nuclear power generation. If they can sell their oil instead of burning it for electricity, they have a ton more money to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

happyhippy posted:

I heard Romney went to France during Vietnam doing Mormon Missonary work instead of dying in a rice field. And this is why France is a major Mormon stronghold today.
oh wait

Reading between the lines, I actually wouldn't be surprised if he was a dumb kid and wanted to enlist (or at least proselytize in Africa or something) his dad went "lol no you will do a cushy mission in France and you will like it". Papa Romney was a very decent dude, but I can understand wanting to coddle your kid.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gravel Gravy posted:

I think it's cruel for Jesus to set unrealistic body standards for men while at the same time force feeding followers bread and wine at 9 in the morning.

I think you mean delicious human meat and blood.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Mr Jaunts posted:

At a Q&A in New Hampshire today, Rubio was asked, "Who would you like to have a beer with who is not a politician?” His answer?

Malala Yousafzai, Nobel Peace Prize winner, and noted Muslim teenager :lol:

My answer would be Peter Watts, misanthrope, immigration and customs criminal, and noted Canadian. One more reason I am not running for office, I suppose.

Edit: alternatively, Henry Kissinger.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pillowpants posted:

So,

In my city I've been waging a completely fake over the top write in campaign to become dictator of the city. I've spent two months talking about making rivers run with chocolate, annexing surrounding towns, deciding leash law disputes with duels etc etc etc. while at the same time asking everyone to stop name calling each other. I've been doing this on all Facebook with photoshopped signs and long rants every few days.

Last night, this got me elected to the Housing Authority in my city and I came in second for Planning Board, and got 12 votes for city council.

:911:

This is genuinely inspirational.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pillowpants posted:

Oh and I should also mention that I've been told not to accept the position by a city councilman.

On the plus side, you may be the first goon to be murdered over defying a third world power structure. Well, maybe second, given Caro.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

fknlo posted:

asking why Obama never faced the same kind of scrutiny.

:psyboom:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Joementum posted:

Ahh, I see the confusion. I believe he's trying to say that the systemic oppression means that the students of color don't have access to equal opportunities, not that they are not rising on their own to meet them.

Yeah, if this is a tragic repeated failure of messaging, I feel a bit bad for the guy - on the other hand, messaging is a pretty big part of being a university president, so even if we give him the benefit of the doubt on his statements and his clunky bureaucratic responses to endemic racial issues, he still needs to up his game.

I'm not sure it's exactly a firing offense, but I also don't see him exactly being a professional pariah. If nothing else, he fell on his sword to protect the functioning of the institution and its football money. :911:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

alpha_destroy posted:

From the reports I've heard from Concerned Student 1950 he didn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Remember, up until the last few weeks it was Loftin's head on the block, but after dealing with both Loftin and Wolfe, CS1950 and the Forum for Graduate Rights determined Loftin was a dummy, but was willing to listen. The reports I've heard is they believed Wolfe was totally unwilling to listen.

So, I don't think he misspoke. I think he really is that much of an rear end in a top hat.

That's a bit interesting and does sound plausible.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Zombie Samurai posted:

I really love the way Trump responds to things.

"What are we talking about? I have the best one. It made a million dollars. Everyone loves it. I don't care about it anymore. Is it bothering you? We'll do it your way. Make America Great Again."

It's mesmerizing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fix posted:

itshappening.gif

Finally. Now we just gotta see the size of the crater this shithead makes.

Don't count him out yet, heretic scum.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

I just want you guys to know I'm working with HR and our wellness director at the Big Corporate Office to ban all processed sugar.

Fried food is next.

:getin:

You monster.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

If you're ever wondering "why is food X kosher/okay for lent/halal and not food Y" the answer is usually medieval rules lawyers.

See also, Iranian caviar being spontaneously declared un-haram in the 90s because Iranian fisheries were losing tons of money for well founded technicality reasons.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Same thing with fish, actually. Fisheries in England did well because there were so many meatless feast days. Then Henry VIII started his own church with blackjack and hookers and only papist scum ate fish and all the fisheries went to poo poo because there was no more demand. After he died they decided "well okay, fish is for Fridays" and the fisheries did okay again.

This owns. God bless Anglicans. :allears:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

loving Snake People trying to ruin our democracy

I have no consseptssion of what you are ssuggessting.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

It won't be allowed by the forces of gibbis who will invade it and ruin it but other than that

Gbs might not be evil. Maybe it is just misunderstood.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gotta say, I love that 6%.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

zoux posted:

Greg Abbott just released a statement saying that he won't permit Minnesotans to enter Texas.

That is actually pretty funny.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Good riddance to the apostate.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Mr Jaunts posted:

Well, it's not quite physical violence, but someone photoshopped a selfie by a Canadian Sikh guy to make him look like a terrorist and tricked multiple international news agencies into claiming he committed the Paris attacks. The icing on the cake is that this was done by a GamerGater! :suicide:

Pretty sure I despaired about this, but it was probably in the Paris thread which sensible people do not read.

Veerender Jubbal is one of the kindest men on the internet, but he said a mean thing about Gamergate and is a brown man who wears a turban.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

Not quite US politics news, but it sounds like the French Police have cornered that last terrorist and are in a shootout with him as of now.

I hope they take him alive.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

Me too, but I sense that GIGN isn't in the mood.

He's a useful intelligence source, and most of the others exploded. His thoughts can be compared to the other surviving attacker's.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

zoux posted:

Well, gee fellas I sure can't see how that could possibly be abused.

Looks like Hillary Clinton gets more than three free kills. :getin:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Regrettably, that purse contains fiat money.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

PUGGERNAUT posted:

George Takei was also upset by the rear end in a top hat mayor from Roanoke.

Nice to hear someone in the public eye not being an rear end in a top hat. George Takei rules.

"I get to see Allegiance as George Takei's personal guest! Mission accomplished!"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

JT Jag posted:

I think I've stumbled upon an argument that makes the refugee panickers think twice if nothing else.

The "America is a nation of immigrants argument." Specifically, the "we have seen all of this before and we will see it again" strain.

"This is a country where the Irish were denigrated as drunkards and feared for their secret loyalty to the Pope, where the Chinese were hated for stealing good honest jobs, where the Japanese were loathed and kept in internment camps. Now these people are productive parts of American society. The Syrian refugees would be no different. The American melting pot is undefeated."

The Chinese angle is particularly valid, because the Chinese Exclusion Act was ridiculously over-the-top and stayed on the books for sixty goddamn years.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hasn't Rush and Fox been relatively pro-Trump?

Ultimately, they're both driven by ratings to an even greater degree than they are driven by political partisanship, and Trump brings the ratings.

Fox is having trouble deciding whether to embrace the madness or try, and fail, to draw back from the abyss.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I'll accept it, but only if we establish a database for Christians, Hindus, and Buddhists.

Sikhs get a pass. They're wearing their yellow badges on their heads and faces anyway.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna be real loving disappointed if Trump or maybe Jeb! doesn't hoist him from this one.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

The final verdict was 5 people shot. The family of the victim who was getting protested for in the first place wants the protests to end so nobody else will get hurt, according to the updated version of that Star-Tribune article.

Mission accomplished, sounds like.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

At the very least he seems to be as much of a pain in the rear end to the RNC as the DNC.

Enormous piece of poo poo, though. He's just the worst and everyone who isn't a frothing-at-the-mouth Tea-guzzling lunatic hates him.

I do like how he has exactly one friend in the Senate.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

DemeaninDemon posted:

He's just trying to convert him.

It's Mike Lee from Utah right?

It is indeed. :3:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah it really does. I know you want to defend your fellow racists Trump supporters but short of video evidence showing the guys were being cut off and attacked they're up poo poo creek if they get caught. No sane person is going to believe that white supremacists went to a BLM protest and just happened to find themselves in a situation to shoot black people while coincidentally being armed and armored. Without SYG laws "I was being chances so I stopped and fired at those people" is not a very good defense even ignoring personal beliefs of the shooters.

Minnesota imposes a duty to retreat. Another win for rule of law liberal pussies. :negative:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

The polices job isn't to protect lol.

Then we should pursue reforms so that it is.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

How?

How will those reforms get you a promotion within the force?

Not really a topic I've focused on, I'm a transportation economist. Could definitely offer advice on adjusting incentive structures for traffic stops based on what actually causes road unsafety, which... isn't really the current topic of discussion.

"More reliable punishments for undue/excessive use of violence" isn't a terrible idea, though, and does have the advantage that the Internal Affairs infiltrators and investigators have their own promotion incentives!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

DemeaninDemon posted:

D&D liberalism pushes one towards alcoholism. So I'm sure Big Booze loves it when an LP register shows up here.

Maybe Joementum isn't Dave Weigel, but is in fact a liquor marketing operative. :tinfoil:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ted Cruz called the shooter a "transgendered leftist activist" according to this Texas Tribune reporter.

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/671088191139639298

Getting out in front to try to be a worse person than Trump.

Good luck with that, Ted.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

evilweasel posted:

We went to war with Tripoli pretty quickly though, you know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Barbary_War Calling them the longest standing ally sort of suggests they've been an ally the whole time.

You want to call a nation our oldest ally it's probably France.

Yeah, I guess Morocco did temporarily reauthorize corsairs and revoke their hilarious sanctuary policy (for about a month) after the XYZ affair. France probably wins, but Morocco's a respectable second place.

On the other hand, did we have active alliance terms with France prior the early days of the First Barbary War? Because Morocco pretty much immediately told the other Barbary states to go gently caress themselves and gave us civilian sanctuary rights, which kinda-sorta extended to military boats.

Edit: We didn't properly re-ally with France for a... while, after the Revolution and so on. Post-first-Barbary-War Morocco might win the title.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 1, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Alliance_(1778)

:confused: We kind of stopped sticking to it because of neutrality during their revolution and basically not wanting to wade into a war between superpowers, faffing about in the caribbean not withstanding.

Yeah, it's definitely a weird situation. Maybe we can just call it even. France and Morocco: equally bestest American buddies. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Captain_Maclaine posted:

In large part they suddenly stopped being besties with the French Republicans as soon as that revolution kicked off another, closer one which for some odd reason caused Southern landowners to suddenly remember how they'd always had reservations about such wild excesses of liberty, for as Jefferson himself said, "I become daily more and more convinced that all the West India Island will remain in the hands of the people of colour, and a total expulsion of the whites sooner or later take place. It is high time we should foresee the bloody scenes which our children certainly, and possibly ourselves (south of the Potomac), have to wade through and try to avert them."

Not gonna lie, I want to see a good solid historical miniseries about the Haitian Revolution. Intrigue! War! Betrayal! More intrigue! More betrayal! Moral ambiguity by major American historical figures!

• Locked thread