Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So I just discovered this. Apparently, Bill Maher was dating this chick for two years at one point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cara_Santa_Maria

There's a 20 year difference between them. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

greatn posted:

Your surprised he's an old disgusting lech?

Not so much surprised that he was willing to date her, so much as someone like her was willing to date him.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

JonathonSpectre posted:

Yeah, I know if I had the chance to gently caress a hot woman 20 years younger than me I'd turn it down in a heartbeat to prove my superior morals. :rolleyes:

Wha? I think you misunderstood the reason for posting that.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Has this been posted? Cause I'm surprised this news is just coming out:

quote:

How is Rubio helping the poor so much? Well, Rubio's plan would replace the standard deduction and personal exemption with a $2,000 credit ($4,000 for couples). That's a big increase. Currently, for a couple in the bottom, 10 percent tax bracket, the standard deduction and personal exemption is worth a maximum of $2,040. A $4,000 credit is a near doubling of that.

That helps people at the bottom end — but only somewhat. After all, many of the poorest Americans don't owe any income taxes in the first place. In 2015, 40.4 percent of tax units will have a negative or zero income tax burden. That's mostly the poorest Americans, and they're not helped at all by a plain old credit. But Rubio's proposal, as originally laid out, is not a plain old credit. It's a fully refundable credit. Think about that for a second. Rubio's original proposal would give any household in America $2,000 or $4,000, no questions asked. It was a basic income. It was a massive increase in the welfare state of a kind that no Democratic candidate, including Bernie Sanders, is proposing.

So it's perhaps no surprise that when I asked his team about this, they insisted that this was a mistake, and the credit was in fact much more limited. "Rules would be tailored to ensure that our reforms would not create payments for new, non-working filers," a Rubio aide told me in April.

It's unclear what exactly that means, especially since the aide insisted that the tax was nonetheless refundable
. But one thing it definitely does mean is that millions of people who would've benefited from a simple $2,000 to $4,000 refundable credit won't benefit under Rubio's actual plan.

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/30/9642850/marco-rubio-john-harwood

So apparently, the only reason Rubio's tax plan looks as good as it does in terms of benefiting the poor, is because Rubio misled (or at the very least, let them assume without bothering to correct them) the Tax Foundation into thinking that his plan would provide refundable tax credits, even though that's something he actually opposes and insists is not the way his plan is supposed to work. :lol:

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 2, 2015

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I thought it was pretty much accepted that Obama administration trotted the youtube video out because the Benghazi attack was in direct contradiction to their claims of Al-Queda being weakened/beaten back.

I'm not trying to give legitimacy to conservative conspiracy theories but Benghazi was a embarrassment to the claims the administration were making.

Why was it "embarrassing"? There was tons of conflicting info going down for a good while, considering there were actual protests all over the ME.

And as someone mentioned, the administration came out and corrected themselves later.

Which is one of (many, MANY) things I find funny about this inane BENGHAZI! conspiracy. Obama and Hillary had this brilliant plan that they would try to save face on the terrorist attack by blaming it on a video (which did exist and WAS causing problems in other parts of the ME), only to back away from this just mere days later? Really? That was their master plan?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Why is this thread so quiet? Carson's doing another press conference right now.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

poo poo, it ended a while ago it seems. But he did call some reporter stupid.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/chuck-todd-grills-fiorina-on-lack-of-detailed-tax-plan-show-us-what-youre-gonna-do/

It's amazing to me that Fiorina can come off even dumber than Carson.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So apparently, it seems that Ben Carson wasn't lying about one of his stories, surprisingly enough:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/ben-carsons-yale-classmate-we-did-the-prank-test-that-carson#.vxwxvowNL

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Man who voted for man who wanted to take away his medicaid shocked that same person will be doing just that:

quote:

Still, the broad contours of his condemnation of the ACA are creating a quandary here in remote Pike County, where 55 percent of voters supported Bevin even though the county benefits greatly from the health-care changes he plans to rescind.

Dennis Blackburn has this splintered self-interest. The 56-year-old mechanic hasn't worked in 18 months, since he lost his job at a tire company that supplies a diminishing number of local coal mines. "The old guy had to go home," Blackburn says of his layoff. […]

On Election Day, Blackburn voted for Bevin because he is tired of career politicians and thought a businessman would be more apt to create the jobs that Pike County so needs. Yet when it comes to the state's expansion of health insurance, "it doesn't look to me as if he understands," Blackburn said. "Without this little bit of help these people are giving me, I could probably die.... It's not right to not understand something but want to stamp it out."

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2015/11/10/1448153/-Kentucky-warily-waits-to-see-what-Matt-Bevin-will-do-to-400-000-Medicaid-enrollees

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Good poo poo. People voting against their own interest realizing what they did is always good.

Except this guy (and many others like him) are probably not gonna live until the next election, so....

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Carson's poll numbers plummeted. What the hell happened? No way those "scandals" over the weekend could have effected him this much.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

evilweasel posted:

even the most religious and conservative and distrustful of the liberal media republican voter still thinks that calling the pyramids granaries is so loving dumb that he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near any power at all

You would think that, but there were quite a few polls out last week after he said the pyramid thing, and it didn't even make a dent.

Of course, it is possible that maybe enough time has passed by that more people were exposed to that stuff.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Huckabee said that there hasn't been wage growth in the past 40 years.

40 years?

But...who was president 40 years ago? :O

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

drat, its seems I can't do math.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Lotka Volterra posted:

If I'm understanding your point correctly, would it matter? St. Reagan would fall within those 40 years.

Eh, the issue is merely being technical, as I said who was president 40 years ago, not who was president within those 40 years.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

Our analysis finds that the plan would reduce federal revenues by $3.6 trillion over the next decade. However, the plan would improve incentives to work and invest, which would increase gross domestic product (GDP) by 13.9 percent over the long term. This increase in GDP would translate into 12.2 percent higher wages and 4.8 million new full-time equivalent jobs. After accounting for increased incomes due to these factors, the plan would reduce tax revenues by $768 billion.

http://taxfoundation.org/article/details-and-analysis-senator-ted-cruz-s-tax-plan

Somebody help me out here, make sure I'm reading this correctly. Is the Tax Foundation saying 4.8 million jobs would be created over a decade? Cause that's some horrendously loving lovely job growth.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I really, really dislike Carly Fiorina. She is in many ways probably the worst candidate among the lot.

My favorite part of the debate was when Mario Baritomo asked her why people should trust Republicans on the economy when Democrats have been historically more successful, and Fiorina answered by 1) not answering the question at all and 2) agreeing with the opposite of what Baritomo actually said, despite saying it mere seconds ago ("It's true, the economy does worse under Democrats" :psyduck:).

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Fix posted:

itshappening.gif

Finally. Now we just gotta see the size of the crater this shithead makes.

Nooooo! This is terrible news. I want his dumbass to stay in the race as long as possible. He can't flame out so soon. :(

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Man, what is up with Bill Maher? He seems to be getting more crotchety as he gets older. He was on Colbert tonight and absolutely trashed Colbert's Catholicism. Yes, yes, Maher's super anti-religion, that's his main schtick and all, but he would show some sense of cordiality when he was on another person's show at the very least. And on last week's episode, he keeps bringing up these inane strawmen that the left doesn't attack the lovely things that radical Islam does like female circumcision, and killing the gays cause of "political correctness". Like, seriously Bill? Seriously? :psyduck:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Man, there was some grade A false equivalency going on Morning Joe today courtesy of Joe, Chuck Todd and Ron Fournier:

"This was a terrible week for American leadership. You have Republicans arguing that saying we should start registering muslims on a data base as if we were in some Orwellian hellscape, and on the other end we have President Obama criticizing Republicans for suggesting such things!"

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So ISIS says they plan on attacking New York.

Anyone wanna explain to me what the conservative logic is of Obama wanting Isis to attack A major Democratic stronghold like that?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

A Winner is Jew posted:

This is basically what Rubio said, yes.

What'd he say exactly?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

What a tool.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So I saw something interesting about Turkey:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_NATO

Apparently they have the second highest numbers of active (and inactive) troops only behind the U.S.? Really? More than the UK or France? What's up with that?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Also, I think I officially have had enough of Sam Harris:

quote:

During a discussion on whether the U.S. should allow Syrian refugees into the county, neuroscientist and atheism advocate Sam Harris continued his personal jihad with author Noam Chomsky while finding common cause with Christian conservative GOP presidential candidates who want to keep the refugees out.

In his podcast interview with author Douglas Murray, Harris lamented the “demagoguery on both sides” by the political parties, while accusing President Barack Obama of being “politically stupid” in the way he addresses the threat of Islamic fanaticism. Harris did have kind words for Texas Republican Senator Ted Cruz, despite admitting that he is a “religious maniac.’

“The Republicans are right to be completely outraged by this — and they’re completely crazy,” Harris explained.”This is a terrible situation to be in politically.”

It was toward the end of the broadcast that Harris had to take a shot at author Chomsky with whom he has had a running battle over ideology and political worldviews.

“Given a choice between Noam Chomsky and Ben Carson, in terms of the totality of their understanding of what’s happening now in the world, I’d vote for Ben Carson every time,” Harris stated. “Ben Carson is a dangerously deluded religious imbecile, Ben Carson does not…the fact that he is a candidate for president is a scandal…but at the very least he can be counted on to sort of get this one right. He understands that jihadists are the enemy.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/sam-harris-id-vote-for-dangerously-deluded-religious-imbecile-ben-carson-over-noam-chomsky/

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Also, it's doubly aggravating that Harris is using the stupidass right-wing talking point about how Obama's not "mad" enough in his speeches against ISIS.

HE'S AUTHORIZED SIX THOUSAND AIR STRIKES

But none of that matters cause Obama doesn't call ISIS names like Republicans do?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Not really news, but the National Review sure picked some real winners to have on their payroll:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/art..._Should_Doctors

:psyduck:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

D'oh!

Well..regardless I'm pretty sure he hasn't bothered to apologize or change his opinion on the matter since.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Whoops, looks like we celebrated too soon about that stupid conservative kid:

quote:

“Right now, the best candidate tackling race relations that I, with my beliefs could get behind, is [Florida Sen.] Marco Rubio,” Pearson told TheBlaze, adding that he doesn’t see himself working for any other campaigns this presidential cycle.

Pearson said that working for Cruz’s campaign had nothing to do with his decision to distance himself from the conservative label and admonished that he is “no Jonathan Krohn” — the 13-year-old who spoke at the Conservative Political Action Conference in 2009 but denounced conservatism just a few years later while attributing his previous views to his “naivety.”

To those who may criticize Pearson for once again changing his mind, Pearson said, “they’re smoking too much.”

“I have long been a champion of conservative principles,” Pearson said. “I’ve simply decided to remove a label and listen to both sides.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/11/27/13-year-old-viral-sensation-c-j-pearson-disavows-conservatism-heres-who-hes-now-supporting/

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So we were talking about abortion a few pages back and it did make me curious: where in the Bible DOES is talk about abortion? I know the whole homosexuality thing has been referenced constantly in Leviticus, but I don't recall conservatives ever really referring to any specific part of the bible when it comes to abortion.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

pathetic little tramp posted:

The proper translation is miscarry, the "gives birth prematurely" was either a nicety added because miscarry is such a dirty word or it's a straight up political decision that cropped up after birth control came into existence.

A quick bible lesson by someone who studied it for 4 years (mostly a total waste):

- The idea of a "literal" bible being the inspired perfect Word of God is really bizarre and has only cropped up in the last couple hundred years. Most likely the source of this was when slavery really started picking up. Until that point, biblical scholars who studied the bible for context would have been vehemently against slavery because it pretty much violated what they had agreed was the core message of the bible, i.e. "love thy God and love thy neighbour - everything else rests on this." Combine that with the later apostles writing about how we must test every tenet of our faith in the light of loving our neighbours and you end up with actually a pretty progressive interpretation of the bible.

- Back to the slavers of the 17th/18th century. The overarching idea up to this point was what I wrote about above, that the bible is a very complicated book full of nuance and open to interpretation best left to theologians who had new ideas about the bible and what it means constantly. Knowing that, slavery seemed like a pretty bad idea. So they pulled a "Steve Martin at the Carnival in The Jerk" and isolated the few quotes in the bible from the Law that talked about how to treat your slaves, saying that means the bible supports slavery.

- Of course, the prevailing theory about the bible was that "some books are the law, some books are poetry, some books are stories all reaching the same desired idea". No one would honestly advocate following the laws in Exo/Lev/Deut/Num to the letter except for Orthodox Jews. It was well-understood in the old days that the book of Job had not literally happened and was basically a Jewish parable about how the prosperity gospel makes no sense, the book of Jonah likewise except Jonah is supposed to be a funny story (those old Israelites had a reallllly dry sense of humour). The idea of the bible being literally written by God would have been met with derision (though they did believe the Holy Spirit guided the original bible compilers so that only God's selected books made it in)

- So all of this leads to the modern version of Christianity, heavily neutered from its history, where biblical debates devolve into "yeah but Matthew 24:6! So? Job 14:19!" Every verse in the bible is given ridiculous importance and is read through whatever conceptions the person who wants to read it reads it as. I like to call this "apothecary Christianity" because when you go to a druggist in the states, next to the prescription counter there are all these books that say things like "Hmm, your son's gay? Well remind him that Ecclesiastes 3:12-22. Dying of Cancer? Well don't forget Zechariah 10:1." The book of Jeremiah is obviously a story meant to show that God has a plan for us and uses flowery hebrew hyperbole ("I knew you even in your mother's womb" is probably trimmed down from an earlier version of the text that went through a series of "I knew you when you were a teenager, I knew you when you were a boy, I knew you when you were a toddler, hell I even knew you when you were in the womb!") and the idea that that single verse was included as a polemic against abortion would have been met by the old biblical scholars with looks of "Get the gently caress out of here."

Anyway, so that's a quick primer - modern Christianity is a bastardised religion of Christianity and very few Americans to this day actually study the bible, but rather get told by right wing radio to believe something and then get told by "Christian" radio which verses back that up. The problem is, those Christian left-wingers who study the bible the old way are also pretty smart and figure out pretty soon that you don't need the bible at all to be progressive / humans are hard-wired to be altruistic, helpful people without a book of morals / and a lot of stuff in the bible is goofy, so they just become atheists and it's pretty hard to convert right wing Christians from their idolatry when you're coming at it from the point of God plain old not existing.

Go Now in Peace.

Thanks for the explanation.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Ugh, I'm already preparing for a repeat of the VP debates, where the media went off every time about whether or not Biden was "bullying" and whether or not Ryan/Palin was "doing well considering". :jerkbag:

It was still fun to watch Biden wipe the floor with everyone, but the "well, I guess it was a tie" :shrug: mentality kills me every time.

Actually after the the Ryan debate, I do recall the overall impression being in Biden's favor. Sure, you might have had a few beltway journalists give Ryan some brownie points, but it was a solid win (if you need any more proof, just see the conservative reaction afterwards which was basically; HOW COULD THAT BULLY BIDEN BE SO MEAN TO THE INNOCENT WIDDLE PAUL RYAN :qq:)

deoju posted:

Cruz was on the debate team at whatever Ivy League he went to and he argued a case before the Supreme Court, albeit unsuccessfully. If it was him versus Clinton I wouldn't expect her to walk away with it.

There has to be some special rules or something involved in the debates Cruz was involved with in college, cause I've seen the guy for the past 3 years and he comes off as one of the most incompetent, high profile politicians I've seen. I've said it before, but the guy can't even pull of the pseudo intellectual facade that you could get from Paul Ryan or Newt Gingrich. His arguments always come down to the most facile things like "constitution" and "Jesus". Look at how he does against Chris Matthews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StGzhLCKkkY

JehovahsWetness posted:

Hey, I'm sure if we just took a moment to reflect we'd decide that everyone shares a little bit of the blame.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/261431-carson-both-sides-in-abortion-debate-need-to-tone-down

If only both sides would tone things down and make polite, uncontroversial, non-inflammatory references like to slavery, the Holocaust, etc.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Is Fiorina still relevant?

Despite that, Fiorina has stood by the statement, issuing a series of videos that ostensibly backed her claims.

NO IT loving DIDN'T

SHE ACTUALLY CUT AND SPLICED HER OWN loving FOOTAGE TO CORROBORATE HER DUMBASS CLAIM

THAT'S THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF "BACKING UP" HER CLAIMS :psyboom:

Why doesn't this get trotted out more than it does? It's breathtaking the level of deception Fiorina's engaged in.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ted Cruz called the shooter a "transgendered leftist activist" according to this Texas Tribune reporter.

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/671088191139639298

Assuming this dude is in fact transgendered, is there any other basis for him/her being a "leftist activist".

And even if all that were true, why would said transgendered leftist activist shoot up a Planned Parenthood facility?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

And that tweet perfectly encapsulates how lazy and facile right-wing arguments are. As if supposedly being on the same team as Democrats would make the acts of said person less horrific to Democrats.

It's the same moronic logic that conservatives use when arguing about slavery and how Abraham Lincoln was a Republican.

Who gives a poo poo what the labels are? Actions are far more important.

edit: heh, somewhat beaten by Puggernaut. :hfive:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

xrunner posted:

What do you think obstensivly means?

Dammit.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

What the gently caress? :psyduck:

Is this a thing that's ever happened?

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 30, 2015

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Jagchosis posted:

Sealing warrants esp in high profile cases like this is not uncommon (DA in Arapahoe moved to seal the warrants related to the Batman shooter as well) and not publicly speculating on motive is pretty common as well. The former because an unarrested accomplice could get notice and destroy evidence before the warrant is executed, the latter to have an untainted jury pool as possible/covering rear end for possible misconduct allegations/not say something that will come and bite them in the rear end later PR-wise (like when they said the motive for that guy murdering 3 Muslims was a parking dispute, did not work out well). But it's understandable why to view this with suspicion

Oh so it's basically standard procedure?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

I give you, Forbes!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johntamny/2015/11/29/bernie-sanders-is-almost-totally-a-creation-of-the-wealth-he-disdains/

"Why would future rich psychology majors want to vote for this man, who would raise taxes on them and enact policies that won't help them???" I love Forbes. I love Forbes a lot.

So if I'm reading that article correctly, the thesis is basically that Sanders is...a fake socialist? That he's secretly on the side of the rich and that this is also a bad thing? :confused:

quote:

Interesting about this is that to look at the Republicans vying for the GOP nomination, just about every single one (arguably to the detriment of every American worker, rich or poor) has called for erasing federal income taxes on the lowest earners

Detriment? I thought someone like him would support erasing federal income taxes for the poor? I mean, isn't that what he's complaining about Sanders? That he's not focusing on actual poor people, supposedly?

quote:

, all the while maintaining the highest rates for those whom Sanders would deem rich.

Maintaining taxes on the rich? The gently caress is this douche talking about? There's not a single Republican that hasn't proposed lowering taxes on the rich.

quote:

Sanders seeks even higher rates of taxation on the “rich.” What this should signal to the rest of us is that Republicans and Democrats are in a fight over who will tax the rich the most. More explicitly it tells us that both major political parties aren’t exactly seeking favor with the wealthy.

Haha, yes. The Republicans sure as hell aren't seeking favor of the wealthy. All those trillions in revenue from tax cuts and deregulating the hell out of everything, oh yeah, I bet the richies just hate that.

And again, what the gently caress is this douche talking about? He spends most of the article whining that Sanders is hanging out in wealthy areas with the people he claims to despise, yet also wants to tax them way more than Republicans, and thus he's a fake socialist? :psyduck:

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Catholic Hospital Argues Fetuses Are Not People In Malpractice Suit

Look the pro-life crowd is very serious and sincere about punishment being dealt out to people who transgress on the lives of the unborn

I mean unless it inconveniences them in any way

This should be a fun story.

• Locked thread