Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Did you erupt all over your monitor when you read it? Or are you a strict disciplinian when it comes to drinking at the computer?

Perhaps you were eating a Stromboli roll and blasted food all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zeroisanumber posted:

Just have Obama going about his usual day and bring in Keegan-Michael Key as Luther to dance through the White House.

I just realized that Trump's anger translator would be Andrew Dice Clay.

E: Clinton's would probably be Lena Headey for office meetings and Melissa McCarthy for press conferences. Bernie's would have to be Lewis Black.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 3, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Teflon Don posted:

What kind of clown bombs a Walmart?

The Southern Avenger.

E:

Greatbacon posted:

The kind of person that wants to buy a traitor flag at Walmart.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Well, Kynect was good while it lasted.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Paul MaudDib posted:

Never thought about the Amazon a-> thing.

Their full-size logo had an arrow going from the A to the Z in Amazon.

Because they had all sorts of books from A to Z.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Spiffster posted:

Our mayor, Pete Buttigieg, won in a landslide victory of 80-20. :woop:

From what I heard democrats on the whole didn't do to shabby in Indiana tonight. Bloomington was a sweep for D, and even a few other cities like Anderson picked up New Democratic mayors.

Please tell me his name is pronounced butt gig.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zoux posted:

Through what mechanism can the KY governor unilaterally rollback the Medicaid expansion?

I think I heard it referred to as an executive-level decision to expand it so I assume the power still resides in the office to rescind that order.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mitt Romney posted:

Polls extremely well. But the majority of counties that benefit from it most went strongly for Bevin.

It's real hard not to just straight up hope they all get loving Shingles but with numbers like that they probably won't learn anything. It's like coming home and punishing a dog four hours after it made a mess. They won't be able to connect the loving dots.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pathetic little tramp posted:

Here's a scenario I see being possible in kentucky, and it's the only Hope I'm clinging to. Bevin goes hard after killing Medicaid on the first day and institutes his Medicare drug testing program on day two.

These measures, when actually seen by kentuckians, instantly sour them on their idiot governor and the state legislatures panic, seeing that they're all in danger of getting ousted at next election. They work on reinstating Medicaid expansion by law and override bevins veto. Bevin is neutered and spends the next four years totally powerless, as the stalemate in the legislatures never resolves.

Yo they just voted the guy in after he promised all that poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pathetic little tramp posted:

Except in the past few weeks he said he totally didn't mean any of it guys, that's all crazy talk I'd never do it. People are dumb enough to fall for that poo poo sometimes.

Chances are they'll fall for it again when he says he had to throw 400k people into the uninsured woodchipper only for a little bit first in order to make a way better system.

Then, when he doesn't deliver, they'll fall for it when he blames the Ds in the legislature, resulting in an R supermajority.

Look - Kansas can't even keep its own courts running, they've hosed their economy so bad with this lolbertarian bullshit, and they're still huffing what Brownback is spewing. Kentucky just fell for a blatant "ME OR YOUR LYIN' EYES" gag and decided their eyes were the ones lyin'. Kentucky has a long death spiral ahead of it after this, anyone who thinks voters will just spontaneously find their own assholes is either terrifically naïve or beset with a cognitive impairment preventing anything containing the word "Wisconsin" from being remembered.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 4, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Petr posted:

How long will it take the Republican stranglehold on state-level politics to translate into a lock on national elections as well?

When they start apportioning electoral votes by district results rather than state results. Take Pennsylvania for instance. It's basically one decent city, one "actually West Virginia but close enough" city, and a bunch of inbred fucks who talk like boomhauer and say yinz in between the cities. Population-wise the majority of voters in the state are going to be in those cities, and a huge majority of those city-dwellers are not down with the GOP. Moreso in the decent city than the 'burgh, but the stats legislature can draw electoral districts so that they concentrate as much of the civilized vote into as few districts as possible, while slathering the mumbling chickenfucker hill people vote as thinly as possible across all districts while still maintaining majorities.

Now, come every 4 years, you have the people in the cities always outvoting the loving filth in the woods. If they stop counting votes and just start counting familial-amplified birth defects per acre as a metric for awarding each district's electoral vote, then you've got like 14 wasteland districts with 50.1% dogshit and 5 with decent people running up the score 80-20, and you award 14 EVs to Ricky Boucher or whoever these dumb shits warble for, and 5 to Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders or whoever.

As of tonight Pennsylvania is not in danger of pulling this, seeing as their SCOTUS got a good infusion of competency.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah I'm shocked but happy at the fairly large sweep the dems pulled today. Also I live in north central and I don't appreciate being called an inbred gently caress, okay. Most of my neighbors also have no visible deformities :colbert:

But do you talk like boomhauer and say yinz?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jonked posted:

As a Pittsburgh resident, I want to make it clear that this is absurdly wrong.

We talk like Boomhauser and say Yinz in the city as well. (Also the state party isn't particularly eager to remove the prestige and power of being a semi -swing state, just for the benefit of some dick from Texas/Florida with the added risk of drawing Dem GOTV efforts to Erie/Harrisburg. No supreme court necessary)

Pittsburgh is the "actually West Virginia but close enough" reference :v:

On the other hand, at least you have two cities. Where I am only has one, and it's full of real dedicated bastards who managed to cancel the abolition of prisoner-killing by the state legislature and push it to a ballot measure.

On the upside: a surprisingly human take on immigrants within the city (countered by the garbage views of garbage people out in the garbage burbs) due to the presence of a historically-cemented latino immigrant community in the south end of the city which is a cool as hell part of town with tiled fountains and great food and wonderful people.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grain Storage? How the gently caress does he not know pyramids are exclusively for dead pharaoh storage?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pillowpants posted:

Oh and I should also mention that I've been told not to accept the position by a city councilman.

Why? I hope you asked the bastard why.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"Bald eagle is bald"/ "Bad eagle is bad."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pillowpants posted:

He's an affordable housing guy who doesn't know me at all. All he knows is the joke campaign he sees and that we both hate the same tea party douches in town.

2 or 3 of the city councilors who won last night and 2 who lost wrote my name in because they actually somewhat know me and my history.

Should I make a separate thread?

Oh. Color me surprised. I was expecting he let loose with a proof of ignorance so profound not even poor people could get a pass on account of somehow being too poor (as opposed to ignorant and spiteful) to know what side of the class war they're on.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

stefania_r posted:

I have this really controversial opinion that fishmech should chill BUT sandernistas should also chill :chloe:

They can't chill now, they're gonna bust out of Flensburg and turn this whole thing around any day now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Business Gorillas posted:

what's Rubio's stance on abortions?

i know someone who i just found out is a Rubio supporter and he's talked 4 girls into not having him use a condom, knocking them up, and having them get abortions, which is why i'm asking

Your friend is a shitlord and should be god drat ashamed of himself. I'm pro-abortion as all hell but your friend needs to take some loving responsibility for himself instead of expecting his partners to do all the lifting.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I'm kind of hoping the writers intentionally wrote lovely unfunny stuff to make him look bad. (Insert joke about how they must've been doing that for the last 10-15 years' worth of hosts)

Every time you get that urge, look up something like this:

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...ner=rss&emc=rss

I like to think that "South Boston" is the part of the city that everyone credits for the lovely behavior of all Bostonites.

Random Masshole rapes a kid? "Naw, he's a Southie." When Brady retires, Gronk and Belichick will become Southies in short order.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cythereal posted:

There are racist assholes throughout the entire drat country. Pretending systemic and institutional racism are a uniquely "Southern" problem is disingenuous at best of times.

It doesn't get much more institutional than flying a treason flag on state property out of spite in reaction to the 1964 CRA.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If your football program constantly trolls the NFL draft with garbage "dual threat" quarterbacks who can't handle pro ball then you're in the South.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kaal posted:

Because Republicans don't value internal consistency. Full stop.

It's just not the internal consistency they say it is - for example abortion isn't about being pro-life like they say, but it is definitely about hating women.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

To be clear, their athletic department has been supportive of them and would not cut them for this.

Not to mention the revenue problems effectively putting their football program on hiatus would cause, if they decided to just boot everyone. As long as the players and the AD hold the line on this, there's no good option for the university outside of firing the chancellor.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Riptor posted:

the example that starts off the article isn't really the best - it's horrible that dude's dad died (and in such a horrible manner) but the fact that it was a rope swing seems pretty incidental to the fact that they were renting an AirBNB; are there regulations anywhere governing rope swings? If they were staying at a friends house or a hotel that had set up a rope swing, would those people need to get a permit or an inspection for such a thing?

One of the twitter comments on this story said something along the lines of "regulations are calluses grown from injuries of the past."

Which makes sense, something like this probably happened 100 years ago at a hotel and the result was safety inspections of recreational equipment for public use. Sure, not private use, which is where Airbnb steps in and "disrupts" that public safety regime by turning private-use (e.g. exempt from those regulations) residences into public-use hotels. This juxtaposition was part of the pushback against lyft/uber, where cab companies had a regulatory regime and extra insurance whereas individual drivers didn't. They've more or less fixed that (ongoing labor abuses are a different story) so expect more of this kind of thing to occur as more and more startups "disrupt" their way around a couple centuries worth of evolved regulatory protections.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LGD posted:

Pretty well actually, and I will freely admit to having had very bad opinions and behaved badly. But while we shouldn't necessarily hold this against these Yale students in the future, I'm not sure how it makes anything they're doing now less worthy of derision?

I think it's a glass house analogy. The problem there is that people often think their glass is indestructible when nobody ever throws stones.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

STAC Goat posted:

Somehow calling for the end of college football doesn't seem to me like a winning Republican strategy.

I have a feeling Jeb! will take up that banner.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's really hard to maintain the position that people like this deserve to have ongoing access to affordable care. With any luck he will, but if not I'd hope to see news outlets across the state doing interviews with the people who did this to themselves, pain and all. Put their shame and remorse up for all to see as a cautionary tale.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fool_of_sound posted:

Has SEC football been destroyed yet, inshallah?

That's like asking if we've shelled that shimmering mirage on the horizon. SEC football exists only as an internal illusion of football, only as real as the twisted light shining through a layer of impossibly humid air. Travelers bearing contracts and draft picks gleefully hurl them into the mirage like so many others before them, only to suffer years of torment before consigning their charge to free agency or Canada.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

stinkles1112 posted:

Yes they do deserve empathy because they were gratuitously misled by the powerful and persuasive into voting directly against their own self interest and that is a bummer man

They're poor rurals driven by spite and racial resentment, not someone's slow kid who believes in Santa at the age of 14. That doesn't necessarily mean they should die of preventable disease but it's probably good to continually point out how hosed up their beliefs are while making sure they don't die for lack of penicillin or heparin or whatnot.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hobbesmaster posted:

A university president's job is to pander. All that nitty gritty stuff is done by the provost.

Yeah a university president's job isn't to stand right there registering incoming freshmen. I mean sure they might do it as a publicity stunt but the role is largely political as opposed to operational.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

seiferguy posted:

Senator Cruz, you've taken a hard line saying that abortion is murder, but if you were given a time portal to 1889, would you take the opportunity to go back and perform an abortion on Hitler's mom?

You know he'd respond with something about it not being his choice.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Boon posted:

Ok but chastising someone for doing something dumb has rarely had the effect you want it too

Perhaps not for the person being chastised, especially if they're already on a mental "war footing" with regard to civilized society. However, anti-smoking advertising made a lot of references to how many people ended up dead from smoking, and plenty of their other TV spots pointed out how smoking fucks you up before killing you. Hell, there's plenty of examples of where campaigns on the message "DON'T BE A loving IDIOT LIKE THIS STUPID gently caress" worked for military enlistees, who nobody ever accused of being worldly intellectuals.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Someone who hates women and minorities so much they would give up affordable medical care for their chronic illness if it meant they could stick it to those groups: someone with their head on straight as an arrow.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The fifth circuit's geography suggests they'd overturn the emancipation proclamation if the 13th amendment hadn't already set it in stone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AmiYumi posted:

I have literally never heard anyone outside of these forums even mention Debbie Wasserman Schultz, and the fact that D&D does it so often and so conspiratorially it has to be abbreviated "DWS" makes you guys look so loving crazy I can't take any post that does it seriously.

Or maybe it's a long loving name and just dropping "Debbie" doesn't distinguish precisely which Debbie you're speaking of. She doesn't have the name rec that Hillary does, and it isn't a simple context exercise when Debbie Stabenow is right there whereas it isn't really difficult to differentiate between the Human Rights Campaign and Hillary Rodham Clinton because nobody would say "the Hillary Rodham Clinton."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr Interweb posted:

Huckabee said that there hasn't been wage growth in the past 40 years.

40 years?

But...who was president 40 years ago? :O

Ford :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr Interweb posted:

drat, its seems I can't do math.

Neither can the folks on the television, it's okay.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

30.5 Days posted:

We live in a country where whole movies are made about the power fantasy of a famous movie star beating up a journalist who was filming them in public without permission. But some college kids block a journalist's view of some private citizens and this is a serious free speech issue. We treat paparazzi like the scum of the earth.

That's generally because "paparazzi," as the stereotypical celebrity tracker/photographers are known, are notoriously intrusive and intentionally try to get a rise out of people. It's one thing to be blasting flashbulbs when someone's at an event but entirely another when they're going between their car and a restaurant door. They're mouthy voyeurs, not journalists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wonder how one would find a peaceful resolution to the threats at Mizzou. Sure, you might be thinking "gently caress those inbred racists, meet force with force and form patrol crews to intimidate those loving cockroaches and turn those white hoods red" but you'll get a half dozen people saying you shouldn't entertain that notion because they're just scared poor rurals who take their marching orders from the Koch brothers or something. So, absent the "reconstruction" option, what would a peaceful outcome be and how would it be reached? Tell black students to shelter in place until those racist filth sober up and scurry back into their holes?

• Locked thread