Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

TheQuietWilds posted:

What's the current goon consensus on stand mixers? The only one that gets advertised to me are kitchenaid, but popularity isn't always a sign of value or quality.

I like my kenwood major. My mom likes her Kenwood too, bought in the 70s, still going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

1redflag posted:

I always feel like the "bought it X years ago, still going strong" reviews are somewhat worthless, because most companies cheap out on manufacturing expenses nowadays (at least compared to the iron workhorses they made decades ago). Just my two cents.

Yeah it's true, but at least they gotta fall a long way to get real shoddy and Kenwood's still got a good reputation as workhorses, I did a lot of researching before I bought mine and the impression I got then was it's a vastly more capable machine than a Kitchen Aid for the same amount of money.

FWIW I bought mine in 2010 so at least 6 years I got out of it and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere yet. I don't think they managed to dumb down construction too much during the last 6 years. If it breaks I suppose I will start the same approach to kitchen tools as I have to woodworking tools, buy old rear end quality stuff, because it works and is cheap. In that case I've often seen old made in sweden Electrolux Assistents being sold here. I was quite close to buying one of those instead, but it was a bit overoptimized for bread kneading and I wanted something more versatile.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Steve Yun posted:

I decided I wanted to turn my lodge pans smooth. I bought a wire cup brush for my drill and I've been going to town on this pan but other than taking off the seasoning, it doesn't seem to be wearing down the surface much. Is there a better tool? Do i need an oscillating grinder and one of those gnarly metal discs?

I used a big rotary sanding pad. I did this 5 years ago I think and IMO my pan afterwards has performed much, much better than before the procedure.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Steve Yun posted:

Do they make them for drills or do I need to buy a different tool

I used a drill, but it was a pretty high powered 230v corded drill from the 80s I borrowed from my dad, it could twist your arms off. My current 18V makita drill could probably do it easily. I have more tools and a workshop now, so what I'd do today is use my 9" disc sander attachment for my lathe and sand the entire surface in one go.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Free working meat slicer, why not? Brand says Emide, made in W. Germany, so pretty old, which means it's probably better than most new stuff and actually made in europe. Was easy to take apart, every electronic bit lifted out and I could squirt everything down with a chlorine solution, then for a tour in the dishwasher. Eveything came out clean looking. Now I just need something to slice.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Anyone used these openers?
https://www.josephjoseph.com/en-us/can-do

My favorite would be these traditional ones however, but wall mounted can openers like this doesn't fit into my kitchen, it worked real well in my grandmothers kitchen next to the firewood operated stove:
https://www.remodelista.com/products/bernadotte-wall-mounted-can-opener/

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I saw that one yes but the one I linked was available locally for me, shipping to finland would be a lot for said opener really. Also how sure can you be it's not a chinese knock off? I saw reviews on openers bought from amazon where that was an issue.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Part of the reviews in that link claim counterfeit and googling reviews lead me to similar claims, so I am vary.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

How useful is a food processor anyway,. it seems it'll be useful for making pie dough, something I have issues with getting right tbh. But I've never owned one and I don't like having loads of crap I don't use.

Stand mixers have got to be the worst. I got like one stand blender years ago, then I got an attachment for my kenwood dough mixer/assistant, then I was gifted one for Christmas, then my SO bought one for some reason. And now the kenwood processor I am looking at (FPM125) comes with a blender too. I hardly ever use a blender, the one blender I do use is an immersion stick blender and it's broken :(

As for frying pans, I want to throw out everyone but the cast iron ones (SO bought soem cerafit pans, they suck, and we got one country fry pan we got as a gift) and replace them with carbon steel pans.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 28, 2017

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Language barrier got in the way, yes I meant blender. I love my kenwood major stand mixer.

I got OK brand blenders I think, I mean they all work and do their jobs, but I never use them... I just have not found much use for them aside from making stuff like milkshakes or other shakes. I think I shy away from using them if I can get away with it due to cleanup. So they turn into lumps taking up shelf space.

Not sure the same wouldn't be true for a food processor... But every time I make pie (not that often granted) I wish I had one. I just need to convince myself it won't be another forgotten gadget.

I should probably give away one of the blenders I got.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 28, 2017

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Anne Whateley posted:

Imo food processors are good for things like dough, pesto, grated cheese, nut butters, stuff where you want the pieces to be tiny and equal. Before I got mine, I was thinking I could also use it for rougher chops like salsa or stew vegetables like the ads show, and I haven't found that to be realistic at all. It still might totally be worth it for you, just saying to factor out that use case.

I did buy one, a Kenwood FPM250, since I had some built up store credit I could use, so it was like €50. I used it to make Jamaican patties I saw in the dinner thread, turned out great. I will see what I can use it for. Put the oldest stand blender away in storage. I like to muck around and build tools and poo poo, so maybe I'll cannibalize it for the motor and turn it into something different than a blender... Like a grinder.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I picked up a cast iron pan for making "plättar" at a boot fair, gonna need to take the angle grinder and steel brush to it however:

And a buncha old style looking ice cream sundae glasses. And other non food related stuff. 10 bucks for the glasses and another 10 for the pan.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Having a hard time determining which pan I should get. I am replacing a sauté pan with teflon coating that's worn out. Only sure thing I know is gently caress coatings, I'm gonna be using metal spatulas and stuff in this new pan. So stainless or carbon steel? I got neither type before, all my pans aside from this one as cast iron.

I am curious to try out a stainless pan since a carbon steel one is probably a lot like a cast iron one, I also cook a lot of tomato sauces in the sauté pan, though I understand a cast iron or carbon steel pan with a good seasoning is fine for that.

Looking at ScanPan for stainless and De Buyer for carbon steel. Also I'm really torn on what type of pan, another sauté pan or should I go for a wok or country style pan, higher edges = less splatter when cooking I am thinking, and I could use it to deep fry stuff on occasion.

Some links but not in english.

Scanpan Sauté pan 99€:
https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/35446/gmrqm/Scanpan-Fusion-5-paistokasari-ruostumaton-teras-26-cm

Scanpan Wok pan 79€
https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/40592/gmqjt/Scanpan-Impact-wok-paistinpannu-ruostumaton-teras-32-cm

De Buyer Country pan 68€:
https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/24157/hcthv/De-Buyer-Mineral-B-Element-paistinpannu-rustic-hiiliteras-28

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Didn't have patience to wait so I went with the sauté pan in stainless.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I would just buy the cheapest non stick stuff I could find. Save your money for the stainless, cast iron and carbon steel stuff. I am still really happy with my stainless sauté pan.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Steve Yun posted:

Does the perfect salt cellar exist? My wish list:
- clear so you can see if it needs refilling
- cover to keep oil droplets and errant food splashes out
- cover that can be opened single-handedly, without needing to pop a lid
- cover that is on a hinge that closes on its own with gravity after you pull your hand out

It's hard to tell from the bad picture in the amazon link, but it might be for onehanded usage.

Here's what a proper one should look like anyway:
http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/references/theequipment/sccu.htm

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Lawnie posted:

I have a 12 inch chef’s knife and it’s just a bit too much knife for me. I’m an average sized American man, FWIW.

I have a 14" knife just because.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I am told this is a danish bread slicer

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Was surfing this finnish auction site, found a meat slicer, 3-phase driven (note 3ph plug)

Motor plate confirms:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

tonberrytoby posted:

3-phase motors are much cheaper to maintain and operate then single phase motors. This was built before electronic frequency switches became cheap.

I already have a free slicer so I don't need it, I also don't have any 3ph plugs in my kitchen. The stove is 3 phase but it's a permanent connection. Don't think those outlets look very good in a kitchen, in the workshop, sure.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

wormil posted:

On to a really important topic ... butter dishes. I have 2, they suck. What I want is one that is big enough for a brick (1 lb) of butter, is dishwasher safe, has a flat top where you can set a butter knife, has a handle or textured sides so it isn't slippery if your hands are greasy, and is reasonably priced.

We've always just left the butter in it's factory wrapping, just keep on rewrapping until it's finished. And a swedish cheese slicer for the butter, just drag it along the top of the cold butter and you'll wonder why you ever used the butter knife.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Wood looks nicer and I can throw together end grain or long grain boards to any design I want in my shop so that's good enough for me. I should make some more tiny end grain boards, they are really nifty, mostly you only find end grain in big sizes in stores.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I got a 10" diamond hone, it's super easy to freehand sharpen with, especially the long 14" buchers knife that was a real PITA with even a bigger bench stone.

I use stones for sharpening otherwise (woodworking tools), but I really like this diamond hone for kitchen knives. I strop the ones I want really sharp.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Feenix posted:

I've decided I am going to tackle crepes. Do I need some fancy expensive crepier pan if I just plan on doing this from time to time on my glass top? (or Induction?)

Or can I just go get a 10-12 inch shallow-walled nonstick and be good to go?

I prefer an old and beaten looking cast iron pan.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Eeyo posted:

IDK mine never burns, most of it is just scratches and metal from my pots :shrug:

My parents have an electric glass stove top that is 25 years old at this point and is unscratched. My induction stove top is 10 years old and looks like poo poo.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

mystes posted:

Yeah

Are you talking about the one in your refrigerator or a second one? Because I think chest freezers suck for your main freezer, because they're annoying for stuff isn't already fully frozen and sealed well, but for a second freezer that you're using for long term storage of stuff that's sealed well they work quite well.

I guess it depends how you use it though. If you don't vacuum seal stuff a chest freezer might be harder to use.

Been using a chest freezer as a main freezer since our main freezer broke because we can't decide on a new one and we thought a new one was expensive and decided to keep a look out for deals. But we've both kinda forgotten about it by now and we're just living like this for a year almost now :v:

It's not that bad, most of the stuff down there is frozen stuff like jams, berries and such harvested during the summer. While the stuff used more often is placed in holders higher up in the freezer.

I hate thinking about our need to buy a freezer so I'll repress it again now.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

We have a stove top kettle from ikea, stainless and whistles when done. Use it on our induction cooktop.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I've never made yogurt but I have made Viili. It's very easy just start from a store bought cup. I have a bunch of reusable glass cups with their own glass lids.

Basically I just spoon out a dollop in each cup, pour over regular milk and some cream because it's better like that. Put them in the cupboard for 24h before moving to the fridge. Works every time. My grandparents did this.

I have like 6 jars in the fridge now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah flea markets are good for that.