Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Guess I shoulda posted this before buying the thing, but what would you check when buying a used stand mixer? I just picked one up off craigslist for $50

I pressed on the drive mechanism to make sure the gears didn't slip, didn't feel any broken teeth. It's missing the whisk, but does have everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I got a used kitchenaid mixer recently. Works mostly ok (it was $50), I'm going to open it up and service it, but one of the things I can't resolve is that the coatings on the beater & dough hook are chipped and slowly coming off.

There are 2 ways I'm thinking of resolving this:

1. Buy stainless attachments

2. Remove all of the coating and buff down the surface of the beater & dough hook.

Has anyone bought aftermarket kitchenaid attachments? First-party ones are pricey so i'm thinking of getting some off amazon. What are your experiences with them?

Alternatively, do you think a polished aluminum surface would be food-safe if it wasn't anodized? Would it cause off flavors?

e: I'm not sure if the beating paddle is the right size, it doesn't look like the one in the manual. Maybe this is causing the problems with the locking head? Does anyone have a 4.5 qt mixer with the OEM attachments that's willing to measure the length of their beater? From flange to tip, this one is 6.125"/155.5mm

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 9, 2023

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Don't finish chipping off the enamel. You have no idea if the metal under the enamel is food-safe. I've successfully bought accessories for my mixer on Ebay, but I did my best to steer clear of fakes.

Gonna give this a shot, thanks. Looking up the model # and serial, I think this mixer is about 21 years old, and has seen an unknown but apparently non-trivial amount of use in that time.

Anyone ever had to fix or replace the tilt head latching mechanism? There's play in it that I can't resolve. I looked up tutorials that recommended adjusting the height using the screw on the upper underside of the hinge. When I tried this, I have to unscrew the screw almost all the way for the lock to engage, and even when it does, it doesn't adjust the play in the mechnism.

I think I found the service manual for this mixer, but there's no mention of this latching mechanism.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Dogpiling on the "get cut-proof gloves". I saw a housemate of mine slash herself very very badly with one of those things

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Borsche69 posted:

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no he cant!!!!! alton brown said NO unitaskers.... NO!!!!!

My unitaskers:

- 5-cherry pitter
- Glass cake stand
- Hacked sodastream (arguably)
- Waffle iron
- Ooni clone (arguably)
- popcorn popper (which I use exclusively for roasting coffee)

Do they take up space? yeah. Do they really loving shine when their moment comes? Absolutely.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

CommonShore posted:

It's mostly the sam vimes boot problem: the amazon basics ones will probably lose their coating, rust, and wear out much faster. The higher quality pans can be a buy for life thing - easily lasting 3 or more times as long as the cheapo garbo ones.

When I'm a newb at anything though I buy a basic thing to start and if I wear it out I buy the good one the second time around.

I buy the cheap ones every time and that's why I have a mountain of cake pans with thrashed coatings piling up in my pantry.

Because I can just line them with aluminum foil and use them with nachos

When I make individual nacho plates for a dozen people

(ugh i'm terrible about throwing poo poo away)

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

SwissArmyDruid posted:

.....do you often make individual nacho plates for a dozen people? And are they getting a whole half-sheet pan? And can I visit sometime?

lol no i think i've done 3 max. my black bean nachos are great movie night dinner though.

they're individual like ~8 inch cake pan sized

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I can bake a pie that makes your heart sing. My cornbread is remembered by everyone that's ever tasted it. My cassoulet would bring a frenchman to drunk tears.

But I've long since lost the ability to cook any sized hunk of meat. I've tried turkey, chicken, duck, steaks recently... each one its own tragedy, a tale of squandered potential

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I've used an induction burner at work way back when, but I've never done a side-by-side comparison with resistance coils. What's it like?

I've got lovely electric coil elements and most of my cookware has either a cast iron or stainless bottom. Is it worth getting a cheap induction hob to try out?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Ror posted:

Refurbished KA 8qt Commercial mixers just went back up on their site for $425 and I have been telling myself I'm gonna pull the trigger on my first stand mixer for months, but of course I started doing more research and now I'm second-guessing myself.

Because I want an Ankarsrum (the colors, duke, the colors).

I honestly don't make that much bread in the kitchen, but also because it's work intensive. I've made a bunch of no-knead, some buns, pizza dough, and brioche once. I would love to try homemade bagels and just bake stuff like buns and loaves more frequently instead of getting store-bought. But I've also always wanted a stand mixer for all of the other kitchen tasks like whipping cream and mixing batters on autopilot and I eventually would love to get stuff like meat grinding and pasta rolling attachments.

I'm not too bothered about spending an extra $300 on a machine I'll use for years, I think I'm more worried that I'll regret it if I struggle to do stuff like whipping cream and wish I just had a simple KA-style mixer. I know some people have both and basically just use the Ankarsrum for bread, but I've also seen people say the Ankarsrum does everything better if you know what you're doing. I'd really just like to get one machine and use it for a few years to see how it changes what I do in the kitchen and I know the KA would do that at a lower entry cost, but I'd also love to just get the perfect machine the first time and spend my time learning to use it right.

So I guess I'd just like some goonpinions from people who have used these machines.

I make a 2 kg batch of pizza dough for a 6 person movie night every week and occasionally other things where it comes in handy (finicky emulsions for baking, frosting, whipped cream). I have an old 4.5 qt mixer I got off Craigslist for $50. its kinda worn (especially the locking mechanism) and that much dough climbs over the mixing hook, but it does the job without complaint, never slips or bogs down.

I don't have a ton of experience with bread beyond that but from what I've tried, most of the work and hassle comes after it leaves the stand mixer bowl.

Unless you bake for frequent parties or a house of 10, I can't imagine being better-served by a mixer that size as opposed to a smaller one that takes up less space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Can anyone recommend an induction hob? I've got a lovely coil stove and I'm curious about trying out induction.