Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I like my large Boos, but it's heavy and when I had less counter space it was awkward. It also has a stain from some water pooling on it for a week while I was traveling, which I'm not sure how to get out, but that's hardly the board's fault.

Confession: I haven't oiled it in long enough that I've forgotten what I used. How are people caring for their wood boards.

E: how is a carving board different from a regular board?

I have a bottle of stuff that's just called "cutting board oil" or something. Might just be mineral oil? Here's some from Williams Sonoma that's not as horribly overpriced as one would expect http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/6121370/

I think a carving board is bigger and has a channel(s) for drippings whereas a regular board will just be smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, give us an example of a laughably bad recommendation. I've never had them steer me wrong. I wouldn't always agree that their rec is the absolute best, but I've never been disappointed either.

Kind of like the wirecutter for me in that regard.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cross post from the SV thread:

Never used this brand, but there's a $100 sous vizzling circulator on Amazon today.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017HX1FTC/

edit: Look like their 2nd gen product is also $99. I'm so confused.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M18LGU4/

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 28, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just got a Waring pro dehydrator and it seems to do the job well. Frankly, it seems like such a simple concept I doubt you could go wrong with any reputable brand, really.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

Just keep in mind that a Dehydrator will MAKE YOUR HOUSE SMELL LIKE DELICIOUS JERKY. Best to keep your windows closed so you can enjoy it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

What's the best meat thermometer that you leave in, has an alarm for when it reaches the proper temp, etc.

I don't know that there's consensus here, but I love my DOT, by the same folks that made the thermapen. A lot in this category have a bunch of poo poo you don't need like meat settings and whatnot. This is just about letting you know when it hits the temp you set.

http://www.thermoworks.com/DOT

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I bought the Waring Pro double waffle maker on the left. My friend got the commercial waffle maker on the right for free and dumped it on me. Is there a reason to keep the one on the right over the left? Is the commercial version that much tougher and long lasting? Does it not matter because the nonstick coating will eventually fail on either?

The only way to know is do a side by side test. I think the Waring is 1400 watts. Any idea how powerful the other is? In my experience that makes a big difference in waffle making. (Although that Waring is what I use/love)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You know what this means, right?

You can now make three waffles at once

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

taqueso posted:

Make some waffles.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

I like my Cuisinart

Same

You can get some higher end ones that are probably more powerful/built like tanks for restaurant use, but my Cuisinart has never let me down.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What's the best can opener these days? We had the fancy oxo one that creates no sharp edges but it's gotten dull with time.

Also has anyone ever invented a reliable device thats like an egg slicer but for onions, chopping onions and shallots takes the most time of any kitchen prep job for me.

The EZ DUZ IT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071OUJDQ

It is the same as the famous Swingaway, but Swingaway got bought by the chinese and they started making them out of crap steel. This is made in the US of quality steel. Been using one for several years now. Nothing compares.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Going to buy a cuisinart thanks guys. Another quick question, anyone got a good brand for a cheese grater? I had a handheld one and the handle snapped and I also had one of the triangle kind that you set down on something and grate the cheese and that one also broke. I need something sturdy and easy to use, but not super fancy.

I like the microplane professional line. All metal construction.

https://smile.amazon.com/Microplane-38000-Professional-Coarse-Grater/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Also recommending the EZ DUZ IT. Any can opener will dull eventually, but if you run a doubled-over paper towel through it a few times after it contacts food (especially tomatoes or other acidic/corrosive food) it'll last way longer. Mine's three years in and still just like new.

e: is there a Best Citrus Press? I want something handheld, ideally - but if the countertop ones are way better, I can deal with the extra bulk.

I have some no name handheld one that works fine (as long as you don't put the fruit in the wrong direction, a mistake a lot of people make), and a countertop press for orange juice (or when you gotta press a shitload of lemons). When I got it, I had also purchased an electric orange juicer with the spinny thing on top. The manual press is about twice as fast as the electric one, no less effort (because you have to press the fruit on the electric one pretty forcefully), and gets probably 98% as much juice as the electric one (I pressed a bunch of oranges, then tried to use the electric juicer to get what was left in them. It was a minuscule amount).

I don't know that this is the same one that I have but it looks like it:
https://smile.amazon.com/New-Star-Foodservice-46878-Commercial/dp/B00KQ47HL0/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Flash Gordon Ramsay, you have the Waring double waffle maker right? When you make the yeast waffles, is it like sandwich bread inside, or more like cake?

I'd say more sandwichy. Definitely a little bit of chew/gluten development.

I have taken to making my quick waffles with cake flour though. Really appreciate the lightness I can get with it.

edit: Add a little baking powder to the yeast waffles if they're not light enough for you

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe you get a better oven spring in the more powerful pro? Were you using the same amount of batter in both?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why does the name SMEG look all rusted out

I mean I know that's not the point of the joke here but it's bothering me

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The Bosch is the budget option, but it doesn't do as well with small batches or really large batches. It's also not built as well, so it won't last as long (on average). The mixing action is different (worse) and it's harder to clean.

If you can't spend $500+ on a mixer, go with a Bosch. If you can't afford a Bosch Compact, save up.

agreed that if you don't bake bread, mill flour, or grind meat you should probably just get a KA, but don't expect to ever knead bread in it. You'll kill the poor thing.

e: IIRC I've always been a bigger fan of the Ankarsrum but it used to be so far outside of my budget that I didn't really bother speaking up about it. It's definitely on the line between consumer and commercial pricing.

The gently caress? I've been making bread in my kitchenaid for years.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Here is the one I have. It has served me faithfully for at least four years with regular use. The mini-processor attachment is also very handy, and the measuring cup that's just large enough to fit the head of the blender is perfect for making salad dressing and homemade mayonnaise.

I too have a Cuisinart stick blender and it has served me well. Would buy again.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Water777 posted:

kitchenaid is good enough for mixing/crushing ice and doughing.

ripping poo poo apart needs rpms. Robo all the way.

Convince your employer to keep it's blades sharp, realize they paid too much for etc so no, plastic
safety cover will not work properly after being used constantly, machine blade is dull as gently caress (sometimes to a good dull)

Jam a loving bamboo skewer into it to make it work.

maybe i missed a thread about machine faults

I have no idea what's going on here

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just buy disposable bags but zip locks work pretty well too. Tips and what not are pretty cheap at craft stores like Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Crosspost from the sous vizzle thred:

The instant pot folks have their own IC now. You can get it today for $80 with the code BIGTHANKS.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JNKEMH...316%5Bb%7Cdeals

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

That's a lie. You're a liar trying to trick people. (coupon expired at midnight)

It was true yesterday. Need me to spot you the extra 9 dollars?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

glynnenstein posted:

The only thing that distinguishes bbq from an electric smoker vs other methods is that you won't have a smoke ring. Otherwise it's exactly the same.

Why wouldn't you get a smoke ring from an electric smoker?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Neat. That I think also explain why my smoke ring seems so anemic with lump charcoal.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

"[ts posted:

xenophobe" post="470724699"]

http://www.fizzgiz.com/

Is that a hard g or soft g? Because if it's the latter: ewwww

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Woot has an immersion circulator on sale today.

The bad news is I've never heard of the brand. The good new is it's $69 shipped. Nice.

http://www.woot.com/category/home?ref=w_gh_hm_2

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Make them pay for a new one.

You're not married, are you?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

Anyone used these openers?
https://www.josephjoseph.com/en-us/can-do

My favorite would be these traditional ones however, but wall mounted can openers like this doesn't fit into my kitchen, it worked real well in my grandmothers kitchen next to the firewood operated stove:
https://www.remodelista.com/products/bernadotte-wall-mounted-can-opener/

Just get a good ol Ez Duz It and never look back.

https://smile.amazon.com/EZ-DUZ-3028-Deluxe-Opener-Grips/dp/B0071OUJDQ/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Thermoworks is doing 15% off everything on their site with code SITEWIDE15OFF.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the heads up. Ordered the SMOKE for, well, my smoker.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

They just had a sale on Smokes specifically like a week ago for I forgot how much off. You might have been able to get it cheaper then. :(

Well I almost ordered one at full price this past weekend, so this is an improvement, I guess. And I didn't need one last week because my Maverick was still working.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

I went anova just to have the display and physical controls

Yeah I'm ok with IoT stuff, but don't make it require an app just for basic function.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VERTiG0 posted:

Can you actually make soups in a Vitamix, and as mentioned due to friction, the soups will come out already hot and ready to eat?

It will come out steaming. I did a broccoli soup this way once.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

Dumb question, but can it also not produce heat for things like frozen smoothies and such?

The heat comes from friction, and smoothies are not frictionless. Just don't blend it until it heats up.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

El Jebus posted:

Thats how I keep the mileage down on my Costco Vitamix. The Kitchenaid doesn't have a reverse gear, though.

Just hold it upside down when you use it. Duh.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't the original one a computer vac that someone glued a bowl to? Or am I thinking of what the dude I bought weed from in college did?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bongwizzard posted:

But for real can I make cheese taste like weed with one of these things?

I don't know, you're the bong wizard

(real talk, not sure that weed smoke is a great flavor. but get one and report back)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No, because it's salt.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gummy is always from too much oil. Wipe it off so there is only a shine from the oil. If you can see any depth/thickness to the oil, it's too much. It helps to warm up the cast iron which lowers the viscosity of the oil and makes it easier to get a super thin coat on.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doc Walrus posted:

So fellas, I have a dumb idea. My parents got me a nice knife set as a housewarming gift, and the most interesting part of the set is this terrifying peeler with a blade like a combat knife. Like, this thing looks like a Man-Opener. The idea I have is to grill up a nice steak or chicken breast (or maybe sous vide instead of grilling, I've been planning on buying a Joule) and then hacking it up with this dread peeler for a steak sandwich or a pita wrap or something. I'm positive it's sharp enough, but not positive it will work out beyond that. Has anyone used a peeler like this before? If not, why do they even make peelers this brutal?

Picture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just invest in lots of side towels. And make a point of always keeping the side towels near the stove dry so you don’t flash steam the palm of your hand.