Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Not judging but if you have company over do you put the salt pig on the table? I'd love a salt pig (I just use a jar).

I just put a a glass coffee canister like thing with kosher salt on the table. I have a tiny mason jar with finishing salt that a lot of guests like, because most people use table salt or kosher salt (until I was looking up how to up my steak game). The table salt stays in the pig, or in the container.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Ah, some marketing got me. My wife was watching some cooking show with Gordon Ramesy in it and his kitchen was using HexClad. Apparently some company he endorses or owns. These expensive pans any good? Or are they just some sort of expensive social media pan?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looking to replace my mother's countertop convection oven. She had one for a few years by Cuisinart and used it fairly often. Mostly for like broiling chicken and stuff like that. Any suggestions? Looking to spend between $150-$250.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I've fallen in love with the McMuffin again and I'm searching for an egg ring.

I've never cooked anything with silicone directly on a frying pan, but I assume most silicone is food safe? I'm also worried about scratching my non-stick pan, which is why I'm trying to stay away from metal in it.

Also I saw a 3" Lodge cast iron skillet... What is that for?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thought I would circle back with the egg thing.

I got the little 3" skillet. Works very well and is the first time I experienced non-stick cast iron (after using it 3-4 times). It is amazing, but only allows for a single serving at a tine. Will be good to use on a lazy Sunday or something of that sort. Doesn't allow for mushrooms and anything else you want in there. Not versatile at all, but very cool. I might start using my larger cast iron soon because of this experience.

Got an egg tray to place into the oven and it's legit. Was able to put 1 egg and one large mushroom into it and bahm, perfect egg puck. Good for mass cooking and regular weekday use.

I like them both!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

This is "kinda" for kitchen stuff? But I meal prep into an Anchor 4-cup container. I've been unable to find a lunch bag for it that will hold 2 of them and maybe a little more that isn't obnoxiously large. Do you guys have suggestions?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/shop/7500

This might be a good one. I do not have a blender.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

It seems like a good price and it looks like an updated version of the 5200, which is America's Test Kitchen's favorite. I usually follow their suggestions and they've never steered me wrong.

The bigger question for me is if I really need a blender. When I'm at Costco and walk by the frozen fruit section, I always think to myself how cool it would be to make a smoothie. Or when I'm watching recipes and they require a blender for a sauce. Or maybe soup? But I've never looked into soup in a blender. What other uses am I missing out on here?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

Side question - the one bit of cookware I use that's not compatible is my trusty Tramontina non-stick frying pan. Anyone have any suggestions for an induction-compatible alternative? Are the HexClad pans any good, or are they just expensive crap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rkw0adIAFc

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Take out the utensil holder when you're opening the door?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions for a cleaver?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Meaty Ore posted:

It's going to depend on your use case. Are you going to use it primarily/solely for vegetables? Boneless meats? Do you need something that can hack through bones?

People who post regularly in the knife thread might be able to give you some good recommendations.

Maybe something that can go through bone? I asked my wife to purchase some pork and she purchased a stupidly large sirloin with the bone in. I'm going to borrow someone's large knife for the time being, but I figured it would be good to have one and purchase large cuts of meat like this so I can chop them up. Is my line of thinking correct? Or am I going about this the wrong way?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Someone mentioned an oven cleaner a few pages back, I can’t seem to find it, but my oven is a dirty mother fucker right now. What’s the go to cleaner?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Click here

then here

That's it.

I didn't see that on my mainpage, but here is what I was able to find for those uhh... wondering.

https://www.amazon.com/Warehouse-Deals/b/?ie=UTF8&node=10158976011&ref_=sv_gb_4

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Man I miss Japan

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7148235044451044609

In 2006 while visiting Tokyo I bought some melty chocolates and the clerk asked if I was going straight to my hotel or if I was going to keep touristing around. When I told him I was still sightseeing he put my bag under the counter and then gave it to me. While going around on the bus I noticed that my shopping bag had formed frost on the outside. He’d put some dry ice in my bag.

Where I'm at, the supermarket keeps the dry ice under lock and key.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any of you guys own a Zojirushi/Tiger water boiler? How do you guys like it? Any downsides to owning one?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Suggestions for a freezer thermometer? I’m using an external one and thinking the slight leakage might not be that great for the freezer (I’ve only been using it for a day)

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have this AcuRite one and it's excellent. It's worth it for the fridge monitoring too, but especially for the alarm. This is the kind of thing you don't think you need until the alarm goes off and your fridge is busted but you managed to save all of your food.

Good tip about the alarm. I'm about to store a bunch of breast milk into it, and wanted to measure the temp in case it falls below a certain temp. But having an alarm alert me is a much better idea!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I was doing some research a while back on a knife sharpening kit for myself, but ultimately decided to just bring my knife to a local shop to maintain my knives. But, I was thinking about getting a kit for a Christmas gift this year, is the Work Sharp still kinda the go-to, for something that is about ~$175?

Edit: For a manual one, not the ones that need a weird belt sander.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

BBQ Dave posted:

My mom bought us a "foodsaver" machine with a bunch of vacu-sealed bags and ... I'm at a loss as to what to use it for. I like to cook with minimal leftovers, and I don't have a lot of freezer space. does anyone have one of these and uses it regularly?

I use it to freeze cheap meats to eat at a later time. I only use it in conjunction with a sous vide machine.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any good suggestions for a mandolin?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone here hotpot a lot? I'm trying to decide between a gas set-up or an induction one. Or should I get one of these all in one units? Everyone I know has two gas set ups for different soup bases, but I just don't really want to worry about the gas.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I’m in need of new kitchen utensils, slotted spoons, mixing spoons etc. Is there a go to set I should buy or should I piecemeal it together like I’ve been. If so, is there a list of good tools I can just zap up?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm going to deep fry some stuff for the first time tomorrow in my cast iron crock pot. What do I do with the spent oil? What is the best way to dispose of it? Any other tips for a first time fryer?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

I'm happy you found that you like this and more power to you, but for the love of goon please don't respond to any marketing surveys about kitchen appliances, I don't want these companies thinking we're all touch screen sickos.

Wait until the car you drive is all touch screens!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Work Sharp Precision Adjust Elite has been working well for me. You basically need to dedicate roughly about 8 to 10 minutes per knife depending on how many passes you want to go through. It’s overall fairly easy to use but it requires a little bit of time to sit down set up the blade, sharpen cleanup, etc.It should be able to handle most things, but I think the much larger knives would be an issue.

Because of this, I’ve been kind of looking into their version of the rolly sharpener. That seems like there’s not gonna be any set up and you can just roll it until it’s sharp.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

Anyone have opinions on expensive butcher block cutting boards, specifically Boardsmith? It's very pricey ($340 for the 16 x 22 x 2) but it made Serious Eats' top pick and seems to have impeccable reviews around the internet as far as I can tell. I've read some complaints about Boos blocks splitting but nothing like that about Boardsmith. I'm looking for something large, sturdy, and that will last a long long time. Worth the money or will something cheaper serve just as well?

https://theboardsmith.com/products/maple-end-grain-cutting-board?variant=34751092719766

https://www.seriouseats.com/best-wooden-cutting-boards

My friend’s Boo Block split after 3 months of using it. She emailed them, showed them a picture, no receipt and they sent her a new one. Told her to keep the busted one. She fixed the split one and has two of them. I would say the $150 Boo Block is worth it if they have that type of warranty.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

How long does homemade bread last compared to store purchase bread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Give away to a friend in need.