Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
The dutch are known for only eating the yolks of eggs, not the whites (racism?) so people called them yokels as a slur, later joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Carbon dioxide posted:

Please do your research before posting in this thread.
https://www.etymonline.com/word/yokel

it was a yolk, friend

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Byzantine posted:

The revolution will happen, and then it will descend into the same backbiting and settling accounts and dictatorship and corruption as every single other time the revolution happens.

god forbid the us become a corrupted dictatorship run by backbiting morons

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Duodecimal posted:

Wait, so what happened? Did the US ever build a navy?

They built 2, that's why there's an entire store dedicated to selling off the Old one.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Nessus posted:

I imagine it's just some bullshit about how the real* makers** are being robbed*** by the takers****

* - white
** - who resemble the holder of the ideology
*** - through democratically determined and levied taxation
**** - Jews

"Examples of politicians or groups that are cited by these critics include the Reform Party of the United States of America, Ross Perot, Pat Buchanan, and Lou Dobbs, as well as Jean-Marie Le Pen in France, Björn Höcke in Germany and similar dissident politicians across Europe"
fuckin nailed it

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
woops

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
never knew she was finnish

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
you realize Hague and Prague don't rhyme right?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Tashilicious posted:

same with half the US tbh

example:

msg in new york city

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Kennel posted:

My attempt:

My cat, I had her four
months in the army. She was
not afraid of horses, guns or any noise.
Used(?) to be with me on [?????]
purred(?) herself to [?????] my arm. I sent
her home by a sick(?) ???

Went to be with me on [Proper Noun] & [Proper Noun]
I sent her home by a sick soldier

ed: not normandy

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
please stop

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

christmas boots posted:

I don’t get it

i like wordplay as much as the next guy but it was definitely going on too long

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Elyv posted:

What was Antillia based off of?

Another legendary island, settled by christians escaping the muslim conquest of spain. it's what the Antilles are named for.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antillia

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Historical Fun Fact: ESL was a mistake

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
pretty impressive that you're reading it upside down

edit: wow now i look dumb

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Shifty Nipples posted:

I wonder if a new hybrid of UK and US English is developing as people on either side adopt words from the other.

nah yeah nah

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

fun fact, kind of: it's amusing to me how the most yee-haw, confederate-flag-wavin' klan-infested parts of the south these days are the ones that were most opposed to the original confederacy. Nowadays they're Trump country and political centres and the plantation land of old are the most progressive bits of the south (largely thanks to the black citizens of those areas, but the trend holds for white people too.)

And then there's the midwesterners and upstate new yorkers who fly confederate flags. Dunno what's up with them.

yeah it sure is weird how the poor people who got dumpstered by the federal government hate the government as opposed to the slave owners who got off easy and were allowed to keep all their land and money

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm gonna contest your claim that the black belt and the residents of the south's large coastal cities are mainly the descendants of rich slave owners, and also that the rural inner south mainly votes for fascists because of economic anxiety

uhh most of the rich white (non yankee) liberals in the south's large cities are former slave owners my dude, sorry to ruin your classist argument?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

CommunityEdition posted:

As an American, my people’s legend is that when the country is in danger, our leader will hide inside a mountain while the rest of us burn.

in the dead city of raleigh, trump lies sleeping

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Carthag Tuek posted:

I found a contract from 1831 where one of my ancestors sold his farm to another dude, with the condition that he could live in a house on the property until his death. Also he was to be supplied with a liter of brandy and "a half quart" of dipping tobacco per week. Not sure what unit tobacco was usually measured in, but it can't have been the same as butter cause that would make out to 14 kilograms.

idk man, as a southerner I've definitely seen people who go through a pint of tobacco a week

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Carthag Tuek posted:

14kg is a lot more than a pint tho

Yeah but butter is way more dense than tobacco. I know ye olde measurements aren't standardized but 1 pint (half a quart) of water is only ~500 grams

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
oh half quarter *barrels* of tobacco uhhh yeah your ancestor was either selling it to make money or was a loving human smokehouse

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Red Bones posted:

Bungalow is another one, being just an adaption of Bengali, as in "a Bengali style house". The folk etymology of it being a shortening of "bung a low roof on the building" is a lot better though imo. Do Americans call them Bungalows? The only one-story small suburban houses I know of in the US are shotgun houses.

Yeah america has Bungalows.

wide front porch, front sloping roof. they were a very popular suburban model of house

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Kanine posted:

idk if its just because im an american who was raised fairly areligiously but the idea of people actually still giving a poo poo over whos catholic or whatever flavor of protestant or whatever in the year of our lord 2020 is absolutely insane nutso bonkers to me

tbf a lot of that was cleared by noted catholic JFK. You know the poo poo about "Barack THE MUSLIM Obama"? Imagine that but John F "THE PAPIST" Kennedy and you have a pretty accurate picture of late 50s america

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
also why the gently caress wouldn't americans support the IRA? We have a common origin: hating the english

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

canyoneer posted:

Handshake meme with the Irish, French, Scottish, and Americans

hell yeah

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Sweevo posted:

This is the exact same moronic logic as "hurr blue states should secede and let the south rot".

little bit different considering that the roles are reversed. in the UK England is the powerhouse that sets the rules while Scotland feels left out. In the US the North is the one who sets the rules while poor people in the South basically live in a third world country.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

drrockso20 posted:

Maybe it's just me but this guy seems like a colossal rear end in a top hat rather than anything admirable

so? who gives a gently caress what you think

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
imagine being such a backwards culture that you haven't invented surnames yet

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Wabash = Clear Flowing Water
Ohio = Good River
Mississippi = Great River

A lot of the Mississippi's watershed are just the local word for some variation of river

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

zedprime posted:

Got nothing on the strip of the Mississippi basin/midwest that is Egypt but pronounced wrong.

you mean it's not supposed to be pronounced Care-Oh?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
the mississippi is the nile of america and thus we have named its cities after the great cities of egypt such as Memphis, Cairo, and Caruthersville

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When Roald Dahl was a WW2 pilot, he and his comrades were flying a sortie against a Vichy airbase in what was then Vichy french mandate of Syria.

It was a sunday, and they saw the french pilots all just out in the open on the airfield with wine bottles and picnics next to their planes, entertaining girlfriends and assorted others and showing off their cool flying machines.

Dahl and friends buzzed by really obviously, making clear they were a british attack force, but didn't fire, giving plenty of time for everyone to run away before they blew up all the now-person-free enemy planes on the next pass.

should've turned them collaborators into swiss cheese imo

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

The Sausages posted:

It's a shame you weren't there to show them how it's done tough guy. The hesitation was most certainly because of the presence of the women. Might as well hear it from the horse's mouth:

the nazis killed men women and children day in and day out, they don't deserve a warning flyby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Strange how some schoolbooks tell murderous nazis came in all kinds of nationalities except for american

oh no there were tons of american nazis and they deserved to die