Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alright, how long do we think this iteration of this thread will last?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

The Assault Squad, hands down, is the most overpriced unit in the book. 250 points for 10 regular dudes? Insane.
At max size it's still like 20 points per dude. They could probably use a small discount.

The most overpriced unit has to be Justaerin though. I feel sorry for those guys.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Those upgrade kits are hilarious. They save anywhere from 0.50 - 1.50 GBP depending on the legion.

And yeah, the Dark Angels demo models suck. It's kind of funny, I browsed through the others to see if they were as bad or as rushed and the Dark Angels really are the worst of the bunch.

Edit: Their barrels aren't even drilled. :laffo:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 6, 2015

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AndyElusive posted:

Other than the Dark Angel sergeant, the standard bearer is probably my favorite paint job from all the Task Forces.

That is the sergeant. I'm guessing you mean the bare-headed dude with the plasma gun who is even worse.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord Twisted posted:

Wait two things

1) those bundle display Marines have mk3 helmets on mkIV bodies what the gently caress IS THIS MY IMMERSION

2) what patten are those bolters...?
Same

And those are Tigrus pattern bolters.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

The more I think about it the more fun World Eaters would be to paint, though my issue is I only really know about the lore of very few chapters. What are some good books to read for EC, WE, WB and SoH? I've only read (listened to) Horus Rising and I'm kind of put off the others because of people saying anything that isn't by Abnett is poo poo.

Aaron Dembski-Bowden is really good and, conveniently, he's done a few books focusing on the Word Bearers and World Eaters. They're absolutely worth reading if that's what you're interested in.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The eye watermark just indicates Horus Heresy, but some characters have a special rule that specifically limits them to traitor or loyalist armies. This will never matter and can probably always be ignored. :v:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Really? What if I'm playing Horus*? The Emperor didn't walk out a winner in that one

*Horus infused with the powers of the chaos gods.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Also, pretend I put a :goonsay: in my last post.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

Looks like the Deathshroud can only take a Phobos, but there is no model?
The Phobos is the standard, plastic Land Raider. :v:

Edit: Beaten.

If you have to shell out for a Heresy-lookin' one you could get the MkIIB upgrade kit. It's purely aesthetic and doesn't have any fancy rules though.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 12, 2015

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nuclear War posted:

My favourite thing in 40k is the Imperial Guard or whatever they're called now. Could anyone talk about the regular human faction? Are they pushovers? Does anyone play them? Will they be supported at all?
There's a full blown militia list you could easily use IG models for. They don't have the full list of options their 40k counterparts do, but they are highly customizable and can take army-wide doctrines. These can range from genetically engineered super-barbarians to squats in power armor with souped-up guns and a bunch of land raiders. Or warp cults, they're always an option. All of this stuff's in book V.

Additionally, there's a list of elite human soldiers, the Solar Auxilia. They're the dudes on Forge World's site rocking the flanged pressure suits. They're meant to be second to only the space marines and have an army list in book IV. Seeing as how their models are FW only, this is a really expensive option.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hauki posted:

Am I... missing something with the Calth bundles? The base game is $150/£95, and the legion-specific bits kit to upgrade are £44, but the bundle of the two is £225? How does that add up? I can't find anything extra listed in the descriptions.
It's three upgrade packs. You'd save a whole £2 versus buying everything separately. The packs themselves save anywhere from £0.50 to like £3 depending on the legion. It's typical FW discounts.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AndyElusive posted:

Play as Dark Angels and be both good and bad guys.
I hope they get good legion rules. I've been burned too many times. :ohdear:

I'm sure their rules will turn out decent and then their unique units will be awful or something along those lines. Dark Angels don't get nice things. I want to play them anyway.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pro-tip: Don't use upgrade parts on every loving model. Who cares if a tactical marine doesn't have a legion-specific torso or helmet?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Broguts posted:

So Betrayal at Calth is 180 CAD. But any upgrade set from forgeworld is 450CAD, do those shoulder pads and helmets really add an additional 270 dollars of value GW?
You don't need the dumb upgrade packs. Shoulderpads, sure, some helmets to spread around, maybe. Torsos are expensive as hell and drive the cost up considerably. Unless the models are posed specifically to show off their sweet chest armor, no one will even notice. Bolters cover up a lot of real estate. I can see shelling out for veterans or a command squad, but not the basic guys.

Again,

Safety Factor posted:

Pro-tip: Don't use upgrade parts on every loving model. Who cares if a tactical marine doesn't have a legion-specific torso or helmet?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hi, thread.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I always forget that that's actually a havoc launcher and not a cyclone missile launcher. It's even listed on Forge World's site as a cyclone. Do 40k contemptors get them?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Deptfordx posted:

Nasty wrinkle on my mass cataphractii madness. Swap out the volkites for Combi-Plasma's at the same cost. March into rapid fire range then unleash 60 Plasma bolts, ouch.
Weep as your terminators explode.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Why the gently caress does Garro have a master-crafted bolt pistol? He's got a two-handed sword and a fancy assault 3 bolter. It will never be used or have an impact on the game unless a player decides to specifically use it for shits and giggles. Seems like a fun character to use though.

I've noticed something about 30k characters. A bunch of them, primarchs included, have unique, master-crafted weapons in their fluff or descriptions, but they don't have the actual master-crafted special rule. You'd think, of all things, primarchs would get that on every weapon. Meanwhile, a praetor can slap it on just about any single weapon they own. Whatever.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

I hope Dorn gets a +2 strength unwieldy heavy chainsword without master crafted
Nah, it actually manages to be worse than that. It doesn't boost his anything unless you want to trade half of his attacks for +2 strength and instant death. He does get rampage out of the deal though. At initiative 1.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think Dorn gives his guys a lot of solid boosts. +D3 to combat resolution is an especially big deal. His chainsword just kind of sucks when compared to other primarchs' weapons. It probably won't ever be an issue unless you're trying to use him to fight other primarchs. Probably shouldn't do that though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like how Perturabo modified an already awesome hammer just to give it Blind and Unwieldy. Nice job, nerd.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Please be good. Please be good. Please be good.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Recoome posted:

I think the Dork Angels scheme is actually a bit lazy. As if there aren't enough black armoured Loyalist space marines around.
Technically, they were the first. :v:

I prefer dark green to black so if I ever wind up actually making a 30k Dark Angels army I'll probably be using it as an accent somewhere. I like the red wings and checker pattern though. Gives the scheme something to work with.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That metallic red is pretty cool :shobon:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sulecrist posted:

Edit: I'm almost positive it's something edible
That might explain some things. :v:

If anything, the red is probably a little too close to cheap Christmas ornaments or something, but I still like it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like how Corax is just shooting some mother fucker dead as he lands.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Recoome posted:

Funny how the Dark Furies have the same jet pack intake as the old Raptors.

No, they don't.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Which doesn't confer over to units. Previously you could take a Cataphractii HQ, attach him to a squad of grav dudes, and then enjoy 24" range. poo poo sucks. I might change our league rules to allow it since it lets you do some interesting things.

But that doesn't make any sense and obviously wasn't the rules writers' intent. I was wondering why the new wording for Cataphractii armor was so specific, but now I guess I know.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

So, I have a pretty big Raven Guard army for 40k. I'm curious, though about RG in 30k. Now that they have a Primarch model and tons of infantry model support, I'm thinking about starting a 30k army. Are the Raven Guard any good? What book are their rules in? Do I need to buy all of the HH books?

Their legion rules give their infantry (not including terminators) Infiltrate and Fleet while everything else (including terminators) gets Furious Charge. They can only take a limited number of tanks though. Their characters have access to master-crafted rending lightning claws, cameloline, and night vision goggles. Their unique rite gives everyone Preferred Enemy (Independent Characters), they can re-roll to see who goes first, and a bunch of their units can get drop pods. On the downside, using that rite limits the army to one heavy choice, one consul, and it can't take fortifications or allied marine detachments. I think that about covers it. I have no idea if their unique units are actually good.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

Which books are their rules in?

Raven Guard are in III, but the main legion list is in I. You're probably better off waiting for the updated red books to come out.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

Ask BULBASAUR why he refuses to take IW RoW

Because he plays his Iron Warriors as Iron Hands?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, I'm sure when the Dark Angels finally get rules they'll be more mediocre than even the Iron Warriors.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Killer_Bees! posted:

you shut your whore mouth!...............................Preferred enemy monstrous creatures right of war, calling it now.

I speak from experience, friend. :smith:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
First Legion
All models with the Legiones Astartes (Dark Angels) special rule are Stubborn.

Tactical Acumen

Master Swordsmen

Ancient Technology

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tallkidwithglasses posted:

No spoiled rules yet though?

Safety Factor posted:

First Legion

Tactical Acumen

Master Swordsmen

Ancient Technology

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dark Angels? More like Dork Angles.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tallkidwithglasses posted:

God dammit, somehow got duped into Dark Angels after drinking with bulbasaur last night. Worked on a test model today and my body is ready for all black everything and terrible legion rules.

You and me both, pal. :shepface::hf::shepface:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That comma is also completely unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Nah, either the comma or and should be there, but not both. :colbert:
I've always noticed FW crams a bunch more commas in their writing than they should. This isn't a new phenomenon.