Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

panascope posted:

IX Legion: The Blood Angels
Oh gently caress me I'm dying.

Still my favourite part of the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Were Luna Wolves still loyal when they switched to being Sons of Horus? I love the colour scheme of SoH and I'm still trying to decide between Alpha and them.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

panascope posted:

Yes. The Sons of Horus were loyal for a short time until the campaign on Davin.

Sweet! How's Loken rules-wise (though I can probably guess the answer). Sorry for the inane question but phone posting.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

There's also presumably army sized detachments sent elsewhere around the galaxy or attached to other legion's expeditions that had no idea about what happened and are still loyal to Terra, although they'd have to earn their trust.

I know it seems is dumb but having fluffy stuff is like, the foremost important thing for me with 40k/30k, followed by themes that are fun to paint and followed far behind by rules.

It's the reason I ebayed so many Mk VIII armour pieces for my Minotaurs. :sigh:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

You make a strong case for painting Salamanders instead of Alpha Legion/Emperor's Children.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

You still get about £14 off with shipping included in the price from Dark Sphere, but I definitely shop less with them than I used to. It's much more of a chore to get in to Waterloo for pick-up as well, and a bit pricey, while my GW store is a pleasant walk from where I live.

It's a shame because its always fun to browse their other stuff.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh,Firestorm Games have it for 15% off with free shipping in the UK.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

How will the Calth bix work with Emperors Children, I think it came up in the old thread but phone posting and everything is slow and poo poo.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Cool! Doing a test model as we speak, thanks for the quick reply!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Alpha Legion, Word Bearers, can take advantage of the models the easiest. Salamanders, Emperors Children, World Eaters, can make good use of the models.

Nope, just can't pick. My EC test model ended up looking a little flat, so going to have rethink using the GW purples. Would be just too much mixing to get a smooth highlight, it seems to go Dark Purple > Purple > Pink with no light purple from GW.

With World Eaters, would I need to get some chain axes or some poo poo for them?

Can Word Bearers be grey or were they all red by the Heresy?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The more I think about it the more fun World Eaters would be to paint, though my issue is I only really know about the lore of very few chapters. What are some good books to read for EC, WE, WB and SoH? I've only read (listened to) Horus Rising and I'm kind of put off the others because of people saying anything that isn't by Abnett is poo poo.

e: I'm going to be one of those posters, would I just need some chain axe bits or god I don't know. This is the hardest choice I've had to make since choosing a course at university.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh yeah if I wanted to play Loyalist I'd play 40k, half the draw of 30k is getting a crack at those Pre-Heresy schemes.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thank you :)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Started reading False Gods, interested to see how Horus, after seeing the poo poo going on on the moon, decides "yep this is my cup of tea".

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm enjoying it so far, same feel to it as Rising.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

ijyt also enjoyed battle of the abyss

I don't know what that is but probably.

And yeah Erebus seems like a right lil' oval office.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Still kind of want to paint grey word bearers though.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So I just got the part with Eugan Temba and I'm even more confused about how Horus falls after dealing with that poo poo.

I mean come on he literally spelled it out for you, gently caress.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

No way. Battle of the Abyss was poo poo, but it was also far better than anything written by Nick Kyme

I got in like 10 pages into one of his HH Salamander books and vowed to never read another of his books again.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

My other bit of advice is don't get hung up on WAAC or min maxing. It is surprisingly difficult to make a dogshit list. Go with what is cool and fits the fluff. In my 2000 pt salamanders list I have around 800 pts sunk into a Spartan deathstar... In 40k that's madness, in 30k it's viable.

:swoon:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

These are obviously from the

legion

Disappointed that The Ultramarines isn't actually listed.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ok, so! The transfers in the Calth box for Word Bearers are actually Serrated Suns right, hence the daemon skull in the flame rather than just a good ol' burning book?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thanks for clearing that up, and for the patience in answering my endless questions.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Would I ever need much more in terms of Astartes than what comes in the Calth box for games of ~2,000?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Only if you're running multiple blobs- so World Eaters or Iron Hands type armies

e: gently caress, I need that dreadnaught in my life

Argh, I might be! Have a chance to be at DarkSphere tomorrow so tempted to pick up some stuff just to save a trip later and get the web pricing.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fearless posted:

From what I hear, Rampagers are a bit overcosted for what they do (and Caedere weapons aren't totally poo poo hot) but could make a decent retinue unit for Kharn in a land raider if you're feeling a need for SKULLS, but I don't run them so take what I say with a grain of salt. Red Butchers, on the other hand, are fun as hell to paint and are two wound terminators with a 4++ invuln that are slow moving murder machines. They absolutely need some sort of transport though. They're slow as gently caress.

E: I'm building a World Eaters list that is mostly infantry-- 20 man tac blobs seem fun (I'm planning on at least two), particularly where World Eaters can build them to be nasty at shooting and brutal in assault. Also, free chain axes. And apothecaries are your friend.

gently caress me about to go pick up my box and I still can't decide between World Eaters, Emperor's Children, Alpha Legion and Word Bearers.

Every time I read a post someone sways me in another direction.

E: maybe I'll just save them until the Thousand Sons upgrades are out.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thundercloud posted:

Look at the colour schemes. What would you like to paint most?

Do you want brutal close combat?
Refined close combat?
Close in firepower?
Monsters?

All of the above :smith:

Basically I play SM Minotaurs and Tau in 40k, so a different playstyle would be welcome. I'm a little scared painting the purple of EC as I'm worried it'd look a bit crap on vehicles compared to infantry, always wanted to try some daemons too.

Also, Mk II Crusade is sold out on FW.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

e: well at least one of them is.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TKIY posted:

A buddy of mine wants to give this heresy thing a try with me. What's the closest analogue to the Grey Knights in the heresy era? Anything that they make a good proxy for with all the glaives and swords?

First thing that comes to mind, at least for me, is Emperor's Children, at least with the glaives and swords.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Also lets say I was going to go with World Eaters for my Heresy box. Would the first thing to do modelling wise be give all the duders chain axes, and have the terminators with lighting claws?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JackMack posted:

I got some Catulan Reavers previously when I was planning a SoH force last year. I have since given up on plan however am planning to use them for my blood Angels. I have not checked but would guess I have about 15 chainaxes that I am not going to use that you can have if this is the route you want to go down.

Might take you up on that offer!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

My manager suggested it's not a limited thing but take it with a grain of salt. I can believe certain things in it getting repackaged a few months later like the assassins.

Also, when are Thousand Sons due? The more I read the Heresy series (just finishing up Galaxy in Flames) the more they seem like the least tratiorous traitors (excluding Alpha Legion).

And just generally not really dicks.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hixson posted:

Somewhere between mid next year and never

So about as long a time as my stuff usually goes unpainted, cool.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yeah the transfer sheet is a better route IMO, for my Legion (unless it's Thousand Sons) I'll likely save the molded shoulder guards for captains etc.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Something something 40k lib ru.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JackMack posted:

Dude I have dug out 14 chain axes if you want them. They have a mixture of left and right hands attached and I can send you some handless arms with them but they should not be too hard to attach to any plastic arms. PM me your address.

I also have a ton of SoH pads which anyone can have if they give me a shout.

Ok!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So with a World Eaters list, what sort of transport do I want for them, are Land Raiders and Spartans the only Assault vehicles?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

Night Lords Terror Squads running their Rite of War get Dreadclaws as dedicated transports as Troops because they know what is best in life: smashing lovely Loyalist marines and sitting on objectives like giant assholes.

I think that finally resolved my "kind in a candy store" dilemma about which Legion to pick.

Between JackMack being an awesome dude and getting a chance to finally use my pot of blood for the blood god, I've decided to go with World Eaters.

And because I'm a sucker for getting to do weathering.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I just like that I finally have an excuse to buy a Fellblade and Spartan.

Though absolutely not until the Calth box is painted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Probably not.

Also, I'm really struggling with getting a coherent list with my World Eaters. So far I only know that blobs work in their favour, so I was going to go for 3x 20 tacticals with extra CCW (once BoC marine prices on eBay drop a bit). The contemptor I was going to stick with the assault cannon and CCW.

But in terms of transport? I love the look of the Spartan but buying 3 just for troops seems a bit expensive in both ways. Plus I'd like to field Red Butchers or cataphractii with Khârn or Angron but obviously they'd need their own Spartan.

Non-assault vehicles like Rhinos seem counter intuitive to World Eaters, and I still need a dedicated method for dealing with armour. Just out of what I like the look of I was thinking either one of the predators or something.

Like, at the moment I'm at the stage of "oh a deredeo would be fun to build and paint, but so would the new leviathan." etc.