Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Mango Polo posted:

So FW newsletter is out and just hinting at the Calth stuff being revealed tomorrow. Or maybe they are showing new stuff to go along with the pre-orders? Would be cool.

P.s. gently caress the casting of the Sicaran tank, what a mess.

As bad as the Fire Raptor or? Sicarans are pretty ace, but is the kit particularly awful to build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Sir Teabag posted:

So what are the hallmark differences between this and 40K? I've played since 3rd ed, with 5th ed being my favourite but I never looked at FW as anything other than "cool and overpowered" models.

To be honest, I've always felt the idea that Forge World was a means of cranking out expensive and overpowered models has always been a bit of a myth. There may have been some truth when they just made Titans and Superheavies, since they're kinda overpowered by design, but since they've moved onto Horus Heresy and producing their own campaign books their rules tend to be more side-grades and alternatives to GW's stuff. TBH the sooner the myth dies the better, it'd be nice to be able to use my Contemptors or my Taghamata without being accused of being a filthy neckbearded power-gamer.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Sir Teabag posted:

So my next question is, does the balance feel like it's there by design or more by happen stance since the majority of models are using the same basic profile? I think by it's nature of marine on marine action it would be significantly easier to balance than when you start including t3 races and so on.

In my experience balance feels a lot better tuned than 40k for certain, I've only played a few games now personally but nothing feels particularly foul or unfun to go up against. Marines are Marines, Mechanicum is hard as nails but run comparatively tiny armies, Solar Auxillia have all the tanks and play like a better armoured/equipped Guard.

BULBASAUR posted:

The biggest upset for me is that they allowed the Cerastus Knight army list to be part of 30k. Most events ban it outright, but as it stands its probably the dumbest thing in the entire game.

Is it really that bad? I've played a few pure Knights armies in regular 40k, usually pointing enough Melta and Haywire at them while nabbing objectives under their feet is enough to grab a victory from them, though I must admit the two guys local who have the spare cash to run Knight armies are also dumb as rocks. Do the extra Knight varients make that much impact?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

koreban posted:

Can you make the dodododo from a base Contemptor chassis, or are they based on a different platform? I wouldn't necessarily object to buying upgrade bits to make it into the better model. Plus I sort of like the idea of keeping the arms and then buying the EC legion-marked contemptor and making Ancient Rylanor.

Different platform and loadout. I suppose you could load up a regular Contemptor with dual Autocannons and a Missile Launcher and run it as a counts as, but the Dorito is a pretty cool model in itself. http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-NZ/Deredeo-Pattern-Dreadnought?_requestid=690170

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

ijyt posted:

Ok, so! The transfers in the Calth box for Word Bearers are actually Serrated Suns right, hence the daemon skull in the flame rather than just a good ol' burning book?

Don't think the box comes with transfers, but if they did it'll be Twisting Rune chapter (All the dudes who hated the Ultras so much that they were gonna be a liability) so their badge and the demon face markings if there is transfers.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I stand corrected. Though I was right that it's Twisting Rune rather that Serrated Suns, who I think were all Gal Vorbak by Calith?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Weirdest thing, FW has that fucker painted up along with the Word Bearer Contemptor. I swear I've seen pictures of them in the miniatures gallery at Warhammer World. They really have a raging hate-on for Iron Warriors eh?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
D'awww look at him. Adorable little chubnaught. Think he might be going on the ol' Christmas list.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are the arms for the various builds sold separately so I can just magnetize the plastic chassis?

Arms are sold separately, but the shoulder joint you attach them to are sold with the main body of the Contemptor. You could magnetize the joint between them though, probably.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Nuclear War posted:

When are the rules for Custodes coming out? That might actually get me into building an army

Think the Forge World guys said they'll be coming in the Prospero book, so sometime next year maybe.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

spacegoat posted:

So £44 to fully upgrade ten Ultramarines (£25)? :psyduck:

Which is £0.50 more expensive than buying the torsos, heads, and shoulder pads separately?

:psyboom:

Welcome to 30k and Forge World's wonderful pricing.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Crossposting from the Painting Thread.

SteelMentor posted:

Finished my first Marine (sans transfers, they're late) for my Heresy Alpha Legion. Really growing to love the Betrayal at Calith kits, the Mark IV armour's such a joy to paint with it's clean panels and minimalist details.

(Do excuse the lighting.)

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

DeadGame posted:

Wow that Alpha legionnaire is fantastic. Would you mind posting your paint scheme? I wouldn't mind trying my hand at that.

Just so happens I just posted it in the Painting Thread.

SteelMentor posted:

Prime White,
Base Leadbelcher,
Layer Ironbreaker, then Runefang Steel atop of that,
Layer Guilliman Blue til you reach a nice strong blue,
Wash with thined Thraka Green (or whatever the dark green wash is called now) to give it that more teal colour.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

DJ Dizzy posted:

Chosing a legion is hard work. Now im stuck between Alpha Legion, Ultramarines (lolnope) and Loyalist SoH with Loyalist DG allies.

gently caress.

:negative:

Go Alpha Legion, and steal all the other Legions' poo poo :smug:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Deptfordx posted:

So if i pick up a Calth box and decide to go Word Bearers. Could I proxy my 40k Possessed as Gal Vorbak or are these significantly bigger?

Edit: I went to the Dark sphere site this morning. They had new stock in 6 in stock, 10 copies coming in. I went and made a cup of tea and checked my email. Refreshed the page 15 minutes later and they'd all gone. This thing really does seem to be selling like gangbusters.

It's kinda strange, people pre-ordered the poo poo out of it up here, but there's a ton of copies warming the shelves in stores. I'm not complaining, means more for me when the paycheck rolls in.

Also I don't see why you couldn't use the 40k Possessed, any size difference could be passed off as Daemon fuckery and I think there's only about 5 different sculpts between the Forge World ones, as lovely as they are.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Star Man posted:

I need a plastic box set for the Mechanicum. That way I can play with Martian robots and not need a split codex to get the full experience.

Apparently there's some Heresy upgrade kits coming for the Skitarii in the works, which makes me hopeful for some Heresy-era rules for them. Would be nice to run them alongside my Taghmata rather than use them as proxy Tech-Thralls.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

PierreTheMime posted:

Yes, they are five unique mono-pose models. They're gorgeous but unless you mod them you're going to have doubles.

Speaking of, I bought some from eBay late last week with a 3-6 week delivery estimate and got them in the mail today. :stare:

Delivery estimates are bullshit. I ordered some alt-heads from over-seas for my Kastellans and the seller told me to expect them in a month. I got them three days later. Meanwhile I sent off a few spare shoulder-pads to a friend down about half a day's drive away and he didn't get them for a month and a half.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

PierreTheMime posted:

Has anyone worked on modding the Calth Contemptor model to use two Kheres assault cannons? I saw someone post a completed shot online and it looks good but I wanted to know how much work was involved.

Seems it's as simple as cutting just under the shoulder and triming a little from the Khere's upper 'arm' to get it to look right. Planning to do that to my Calth Dread come Xmas, as well as give it a Havoc Launcher if it fits.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Germ posted:

Are there any physical characteristics or bits that differentiate a Mortis-Contemptor from a Contemptor? What makes it obvious that it's a Mortis?

Nope, Mortis just have two paired guns for arms and that's it. The Havoc Launcher comes with a different head if you wanna make it even more obvious it's a shooty Dread.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Safety Factor posted:

I always forget that that's actually a havoc launcher and not a cyclone missile launcher. It's even listed on Forge World's site as a cyclone. Do 40k contemptors get them?

Yep, pretty sure the Chaos Contemptors still use the Havoc launchers through.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Safety Factor posted:

Why the gently caress does Garro have a master-crafted bolt pistol? He's got a two-handed sword and a fancy assault 3 bolter. It will never be used or have an impact on the game unless a player decides to specifically use it for shits and giggles. Seems like a fun character to use though.

I've noticed something about 30k characters. A bunch of them, primarchs included, have unique, master-crafted weapons in their fluff or descriptions, but they don't have the actual master-crafted special rule. You'd think, of all things, primarchs would get that on every weapon. Meanwhile, a praetor can slap it on just about any single weapon they own. Whatever.

Flavour I suppose? I dunno, seems to be rather rampant across both GW's and FW's rules writing. Pretty sure Calgar gets a Bolt Pistol in 40k, that honestly you'd never fire and it'd look loving ridiculous if he tried to.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
At 500pts Mechanicum's gonna struggle to fit that in unless they take a cheap-rear end Magos and a ton of Thralls. In which case I doubt you'll have much trouble winning even with the AV14.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Yeah, thought the fluff always stated that every single Word Bearer was converted to Chaos or murdered before the Heresy, hence their Chaplains becoming Dark Apostles and whatnot. An interesting idea but there probably wouldn't be enough of them to fill a Rhino never-mind a fighting force. Would be the smuggest Rhino going though.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Cythereal posted:

There's already been a loyalist Word Bearer in one of the Horus Heresy novels. According to him, while most of the legion did convert the Emperor-worshipers simply went underground with their cult.

I stand corrected. I haven't really kept up with the Word Bearers as I find them boring as tar, but if they do more with that little loyalist cell I might turn around.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Dont play with WAAC players. Ever.

Guessing Hencoe's more sick of facing what's essentially the same list over and over again than his opponents being WAACs. Gal Vorbak are tasty but Plasma deals with them almost as well as it deals with regular Marines, they ain't the cheesiest thing going. Still, it must suck to have a local meta like that, could easily work to stagnate and kill the scene.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

DeadGame posted:

SteelMentor, what recipe did you use for your golds on your Alpha Legion? I tried Brass Scorpion + Auric Gold + Sepia wash but it ended up more bronze than gold. Also, get PMs it's a cool feature.

Silver trims all the way baby, golds clash a little with the cold blues imo. Glazes take a whole lot of getting used to, I'm still learning how to keep my Alphas consistant, but it's such a welcome change of pace from my typical method of painting Space Barbies. Also, probably will invest in PM's after xmas and the inevitable Forge World binge spend.

In other news I'm off to play my first proper Heresy Ham Slam today. 2000pts against Thousand Sons using a heavily proxied Taghmata force. Opponent came off like a bit of a cheese-monger, but he's never played Mechanicum before so hopefully I can use that against him and Plasma-Fusil the poo poo out of his Marines.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Speaking of things not fun to play against, how can Mechanicum deal with flyers outside of bringing their own? I had to improvise yesterday by having my Myrmidons chip away at my opponent's Fire Raptor and Storm Eagle, with the former spending the game gleefully harassing my poor Thallax, though part of that was my opponent "Forgetting" that jinking reduces you to snap shots, every turn.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Thousand Sons have their upgrade kits now, suppose you could add that. Do we have a confirmed date for when the next book (And probably the updated Legion Red Books) is due to come out?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
It's under your Praetor's Master of the Legion.

But yeah, Battlescribe sucks. Pretty sure none of the points values are actually correct.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Is Exodus worth a drat for Alpha Legion? He looks fun, and I wanna use that 30th anniversary Marine for something.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
There's the Legion Praetors set, gives you a Power Armoured fella and a Cataphractii dude. There's also the Legion Champion/Master of Signals bundle if you're looking for more specific Centurions.

Edit: Also the various command sets. Gives you a generic leader dude and a banner bearer in various different marks of armour.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 13, 2016

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Personally I just model the blades on because they slot nicely onto those vents on the backpack. Can't think of anyone who models Bolt Pistols onto EVERY Tac Marine, anyone who gives you poo poo for it for WYSIWYG or whatever deserves a punch to the face.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
What'd be the best way to become a hardcore masochist build a Iron Warriors list without resorting to counts-as Iron Hands copping out? I love the idea of Ironfire but the local meta would poo poo all over a artillery heavy army.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Hencoe posted:

What kind of a meta do you have anyways?

At the moment it's in a little bit of a flux, so I'm thinking ahead to what it'll probably be like when my Iron Warriors would be table ready. At the moment we have a mechanised Emperor's Children force, a flyer heavy Imperial Fists, a Knight Household with allied Warhound, en-masse Assault Marine Blood Angels, Terminator swarm Death Guard and bog-standard Salamanders.
Then we've got people who're building a Drop Pod-ed World Eaters list and a White Scars biker-mob coming up, as well as a general arms-race for more flyers amongst everyone after too many games with the Knight player's Ultras ruling the sky with a trio of Fire Raptors/Storm Eagles.

Pretty diverse for a small scene like ours I think.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Luckily Knight dude's ability to run the Warhound is entirely reliant on if he can hitch a ride, otherwise he's stuck carting it through one of the roughest areas in town. But even without it, it's a nasty list to play against (much less so when using my Mechanicum admittedly).

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
What'd be the best application of Perturabo beyond a £70 paperweight? He's striking me as a tank-popper right now.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Hencoe posted:

MY BODY IS READY.

Oh man, that looks sexy as hell painted up.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Alphas don't need any new special units, we'll just take everyone else's :smug:

Real answer though, would love many, many more Ad Mech robots. Maybe some crazy flying one so we don't need to resort to dull as dirt Navy planes?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Mango Polo posted:

So adorbs.

I completely forgot about them! Lil' cute-bot. Fingers crossed they don't suck.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I am well and truly stuck with building this Iron Warriors list. I wanted to form it around a big block of Havocs and Tyrants but they're 1000 points in and of themselves. By the time I've added my mandatory slots I've only got around 800 points to play with. Do I take a Super-Heavy to counter the tide of Typhons and Felblades in my scene? Do I take some flyers/anti-flyers? More infantry to play the objective game? Perturbabo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
But what if I'm not a weak-rear end bitch?