Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Newbie question: what are the biggest "trap" options (units, equipment, RoW, special detachments)? What might look appealing but is in fact terrible? In 40K I might say that Terminators are the most obvious example: they seem like they should be super awesome with their better armor and invuln save and ability to fire heavy weapons and move, but in practice they end up being overpriced especially since they need a delivery system. For 30K I'm a little dubious about the volkite serpenta but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Yeah, Sisko nailed it. You need to be very conscious of what you intend your troops to be doing all the while keeping them scaled back enough to take your heavy hitters. Troops are either inflexible,.overcosted, or expensive... but once that investment is out of the way you're able to take the economically costed options in other slots to make up the difference. Does this make sense?

I was really surprised at how inflexible the basic tactical squad is in 30k in terms of weapon selection. Am I correct in thinking that the best way to get good Special weapons is to grab a Vet squad?

What would you say are the most overcosted units?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I had thought that wa sa heavy flamer on the Terminator. The other non-bolter weapons, as far as the pics go: heavy bolter, plasma gun, melta gun, missile launcher, terminator sergeant with lightning claws, sergeant with power sword and plasma pistol, combi-melta on the praetor, crozius and plasma pistol on the Chaplain. It looks like all the power armor marines come with a CCW as well, and some of the sergeants looks like they can have either bolt or plasma pistols

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I like that for the big army shots they just straight copy-and-pasted the basic squads. I know it's probably a pretty normal practice, but it's a pretty bad way to showcase a range of models.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Fearless posted:

I like to think that Omegon is basically Tyler Durden. I don't think anyone ever actually sees the two of them together.

I'm 99% positive that Alpharius and Omegon get called out close to the end as being two separate people who for some reason share the same soul. How that works or how it happened is another question entirely.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I was going to say that the two bodies, one soul thing was explicitly confirmed in the book, but then I remembered it was Alpharius/Omegon who confirmed it, so really it's anyone's guess at this point.

As far as the "secret good guys" thing, I think that later books may have implied that they decided to hedge their bets, but ultimately it doesn't matter. The Legion is so secretive that even if they had started with the intention of being the good guys, the vast majority of the Legion would be unaware of the decision and would simply think they had sided with the Warmaster. Between the secrecy about the affair and the corrupting effects of Chaos, most of the Legion has likely drunk the Kool-Aid and believes themselves to be actual Chaos by the time 40k rolls around.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I'm a little confused by one of the Rites of War limitations, which says that you may only take one Consul. Does this mean that you can't take more than one Centurion, since the Centurion has the Consul rule? Or does it mean that you can have multiple Centurions, but only one can be upgraded to a Chaplain/Forgelord/etc?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

You nailed it. It's the latter- you can have as many centurions you can fit, but only one that's been upgreydded to be a consul. I don't know why you'd take a bare bones one though.

The only reason I can think of off the top of my head is to save a few points when you've already upgraded another Centurion to Praevian so you can bring in some Castellax.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

English version of the White Dwarf about the box set is out: https://imgur.com/gallery/yawx1/new

Looks like they included a full set of weapon options for the Cataphractii: 5 sets of LCs, 5 powerfists, 5 chainfists, 5 combi-bolters, 1 heavy flamer, 1 power sword, 1 grenade harness.

Each of the three Veteran Tac squads has 13 heads, 10 bolters, and 1 each of flamer, PG, HB, MG, ML, LC, PF, power weapon, bolt pistol, chainsword, vexilla, and a combi-bolter that has options for flamer, melta, and plasma.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Here's a question for larger point value games which might be useful to put in the OP: How do the various Primarchs stack up against each other? What are their particular strengths and weaknesses? Are there any of them that run counterintuitive to what you might think?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

How compatible are the 30k bits with 40k bits? If I wanted to get some of the Calth bits from a Veteran Tactical Squad to stick onto some 40k Night Lords Kill Team, I would think that it would be a 100% fit but I don't want to assume.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Having looked at Dreadclaw Drop Pods, I need to check that I understand how they work. You Deep Strike in with them from Reserves, but they stay closed up and start flying around the board in hover mode until the models inside disembark, who can then go on to charge that turn since it's an Assault Vehicle? Is this correct? If so, what's the downside to them for armies that can take them, besides the cost?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Losing Inertial Guidance is still worth it to me, I think. Sure it's 85 points but being able to move it before and after disembarking is pretty sweet since it can take objectives if it's a DT for a Troops choice and is a general pain in the rear end for the enemy anyway.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Where would I find those latest rules? There's a 100 point version of a dreadclaw in book 3 but I didn't know if that overwrote the version from book 1.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Night Lords Terror Squads running their Rite of War get Dreadclaws as dedicated transports as Troops because they know what is best in life: smashing lovely Loyalist marines and sitting on objectives like giant assholes.

I think that finally resolved my "kind in a candy store" dilemma about which Legion to pick.

E: derp, misread, they don't become scoring units but IDGAF, still gonna use dreadclaws to block the enemy off and heatfart on em

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 18, 2015

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Man, I know a lot of esoteric warham bullshit but what the hell is a Blackshield?

In 40K a Blackshield is a member of the Deathwatch who has painted his armor black and renounced his Chapter. These guys are in Deathwatch for life and are always expected to volunteer for the poo poo jobs.

In 30K it's a little less clear but it seems to refer to Istvaan V survivors who have done a similar thing and banded together as one despite coming from different Chapters (usually Loyalist members of the Traitor Legions). There's some weird side note about the survivors maybe making a new batch of Astartes out of a mishmash of geneseed from the fallen Marines, but who knows.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

krursk posted:

Is MkIII rumored to be in the Calth sequel?

That's the rumor that's currently circulating, yeah.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

It's also in the Wolf King novella.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

No, they're part of the GW line. Masters of the Chapter.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

This is just the first batch. Also Iron Hands, traitors? Well why not.

If this thread has taught me anything, they are.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i'm pretty sure he's a tertiary character in the calth books. i know there's a librarian in them, at least, so i assume it's him.

He's barely even a tertiary character in the first one. He's clearly only in the book to satisfy some sort of editorial checklist.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

That last part is pretty dumb, but ok. Thanks for the run-down, I guess.

It kind of makes sense - the Ultramarines are big on doing things by the book, and this guy went ahead and disobeyed an order handed down by the Emperor himself. In another Legion you might have seen them shrug and be grateful that he saved their lives. Here it underlines the inflexible dedication that's the UM stereotype.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

SRM posted:

baller poo poo

What did you use for your gold there? It looks hell of good.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Sulecrist posted:

Do people generally play the Sons of Horus merciless fighter rule as working against vehicles? I can't see why it wouldn't, but figured I should ask before buying two close combat Castellax with a Praevian :unsmigghh:

It specifically mentions comparing numbers of infantry models, so it shouldn't work.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I have a non-goon friend who is dipping his toes into 30k. I think I'd like to ease him into some ViV since he already plays HoR Kill Team, but I also haven't played any ViV myself. Is there any advice that you might give to someone just starting out with ViV?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

The game was $150 but even then that's still ridiculous.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Does anyone run Night Lords? Trying to figure out if it's better in general to use the Terror Assault RoW and use 10-man Terror Squads, or to go for a more vanilla RoW and actually be able to take advantage of A Talent for Murder.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Is there a specific bit for a cortex controller? Or should I just get an appropriately tech-y looking piece and staple it onto some fucker?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Dipping my toes into the waters of a list in planning, please advise. Please keep in mind that this list, like the local 30k meta, almost entirely consists of stuff you can get from the Betrayal box set with some minor additions. There's not a lot of vehicles, for example, and I don't think there are any flyers, so a lot of what's going to be on the field are either footslogging marines or dudes in Rhinos at best.

Iron Warriors (Loyalist), 2000 pts
ROW: Pride of the Legion

HQ
Kyr Vhalen - 195 pts

Centurion (Siege Breaker) w/artificer armor, plasma pistol, power weapon - 135 pts

Troops
Veteran Tactical Squad - 20 men, Marksman, 2 heavy bolters w/suspensor webs & shrapnel bolts, vexilla, Sergeant w/artificer armor, power fist, Rhino - 270 pts

Veteran Tactical Squad - 20 men, Marksman, 2 heavy bolters w/suspensor webs & shrapnel bolts, vexilla, Sergeant w/artificer armor, power fist, Rhino - 270 pts

Elites
Tyrant Siege Terminators - 5 men, 5 chainfists - 320 pts

Contemptor Dreadnought w/multi-melta - 175 pts

Heavy Support
Iron Havocs - 5 men, 5 missile launchers - 210 pts

Medusa w/Phosphex shells - 155 pts

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Hencoe posted:

Try Golg, his kit is the same as the terminator character from the box set. He also won't give up a VP for dying be cause Kyr is a warsmith, gives HoW to the tyrants, and causes ~fear~

I had been debating that for the exact same reasons, actually. The only real reason for taking Kyr Vhalen, aside from getting to bash together a bitchin' model for him, was Battle Logistician. If I run with a bunch of punchrobits in the future i might go with Vhalen but I think you're right, Golg is the right man for the moment.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

If you're running Kyr, you really want to grab a fortification. Use Kyr to boost up the AV of their bunker or give your havocs a +1 to their cover saves. Ammo dumps also make them BS6 so it makes sense to take a whole 10 man shooting deathstar. The seige breaker isn't really worth taking as phosphex kinda sucks on medusas since you can't elect to fire a normal shell to crack open armour. You should consider diversifying your veteran squads too. Keep one as-is, give the other melta guns and +1 on the damage table (that makes you explode tanks on a 4+). For your third squad, give them x6 power weapons instead of those bolters and get them stuck into some combat.

gently caress, I somehow missed that it was an exchange of the shells on the Medusa. I'll have to rethink that, then.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

As Twisted mentioned earlier Vet squads are 5-10 men each.

Yeah, that was a typo, should be 10.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

The Sisko posted:

I also made some flash cards of certain units to help minimize any rules errors.

I am very interested in this. What sorts of things would you put on the cards?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

After about a year of theorycrafting, dithering about, and procrastinating, I finally grabbed a copy of Calth and I'm putting together my Iron Warriors. I do have a question, though: what's the best/cheapest method of getting 30K Rhinos? I saw a conversion kit for a 40k Rhino but it ends up costing more than just getting a Forge World Rhino.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Being able to use 40K Rhinos is delicious news. Now if only I could use something to sub in for a Medusa...

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

It's Pikachu!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I've seen conflicting reports on magnetizing the BoC Contemptor, so I figured I'd ask here: what is the best method for doing so, and what magnet size? I've seen some people say to do it at the shoulder and some at the elbow, and all different magnet sizes.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

The only reason I can really think of to magnetize at the elbow would be to make it easier to grab a spare plastic Kheres and stick it on the close combat arm, but doing it at the shoulder seems better for both storage and reducing the chances of screwing up.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I could see the chaplain converting into a pretty decent Moritat - greenstuff his cape a little more to make The Shadow - but idk if you'd want to run one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

While you might be able to use it in 40k as a general Thousand Sons character, that model is pretty clearly Heresy era Ahriman and not his 40k version.