Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Show up to the game blackout drunk and belligerent to intimidate your opponent into making suboptimal decisions.

Well that's a given, as is the fact that I will also assume control of his Bluetooth speakers to blast Space Jam at max volume postgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I'm still a little unclear on how many turns before I'm allowed to start throwing models.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Brief notes from my first 30k match:

Salamanders are right hard to push off a point if they've dug themselves in.

The Medusa siege gun makes my boy parts tingle. I can only imagine what this would be like with more artillery.

I don't know if I can go back to regular 40k.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Enjoy them while you can!

:rip: templates

I don't know, I think knocking out d6 hits at AP -4 or whatever will still get me hard.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Slightly more detailed battle report (sadly, without any pictures because the lighting in the store is godawful):

It was a 1200 point match, Iron Warriors versus Salamanders. As expected, my opponent took a couple of Tac Squads with Apothecaries, a Kheres Contemptor, and a Firedrake squad with the Praetor Tribune. I had the loadout I mentioned earlier, plus a multi-Melta Contemptor, which sadly meant I was a little more kitted out for anti-vehicle than I should have been. Our mission was Blood Feud from the Betrayal book - basically a slugfest with points awarded for killing Infantry units. We set up in the Vanguard Strike deployment, which is the one with the weird diagonals. I ended up deploying first and taking first turn, which I think was probably a huge mistake overall as it ended up with my Contemptor too far from the only enemy vehicle to really do anything.

On the first turn, the Medusa laid a hit squarely into one of his Tactical blobs and deleted a fair chunk of it, but that was really the only thing of note as the Havocs failed to make a dent in the Firedrakes at all thanks to some terrible dice rolls. On the Salamanders' turn, they managed to get close enough to mire the Contemptor in an assault, and their chainblades ripped the gently caress out of it.

My Reserves came in via Outflank on the second turn, which actually kind of sucked since they came in on one of the short edges, much too far away from any of the really choice targets. To fast-forward over the next few rounds, there were some ineffective trades between his Contemptor and Rhino full of melta vets and a Delegatus, while the Combi-Plasma Suicide Squad Vets and the Medusa mopped up the rest of the first Tac Squad. This second part felt pretty good, I won't lie - it was nice to see his stupid sexy FNP blob just disappear entirely so quickly. The shrapnel rounds heavy bolter Vet squad got booted out of their Rhino by the Firedrakes but then the Sniper USR earned its keep as the HB and a shitload of bolter shots managed to whittle the Firedrakes away, leaving just the Praetor Tribune. He and his goddamn loving Paragon Blade ate that squad for lunch before the Suicide Squad Vets were able to end him.

The enemy Contemptor finally popped the Rhino housing the Machine Killers Vets with the melta gun and the plasma pistol Delegatus, who then circled around to the side armor of the Contemptor and brought it down to 1 HP. A stray shot from the Medusa scattered onto the Contemptor to kill it. I had been aiming at the second Tac blob, but I wasn't exactly sad about wrecking the Contemptor.

Let's talk about that second Tac blob, because this is where the loving magic happens. Throughout the course of the match, it had been dashing across the board at top speed toward a building which my Havocs had been occupying up until his Contemptor opened up its rear end in a top hat and shat Kheres and missile shots all over them. That building looked out on my newly-disembarked Machine Killers squad, and the cover that it provided gave the Tac blob a chance to pull the big boy move of the match: Fury of the Legion.

Holy gently caress. I think the other guy actually got an erection from rolling that many dice in on Shooting attack.

44 Bolter shots later most of my squad was gone including the Delegatus. There wasn't much to do after this; they were the only enemy unit left and the cover, FNP, and their horseshit Morale fuckery pretty much kept those Tactical cockgoblins sitting there till the end of the game. Final verdict was 12-7 as the building they camped out in was worth 2 VP.

Most favorite parts: Every turn felt incredibly swingy since both sides were able to lay down some serious loving hurt. That Medusa just loving melted everything it touched, and Fury of the Legion was loving insane.

Least favorite parts:
None of our structures turned out to be the unexploded Life-Eater Bomb, which was some serious bullshit because I wanted to see half the models on the board vomit up their own blood.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

panascope's cheating: the 30k thread decides

Fulgrim's pear, but with a Kharybdis Assault Claw.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Second match against Salamanders, quick notes:

- Marksmen Vets are so absurdly good it's not funny, especially with heavy bolters.

- He got real salty when he realized that losing a Sweeping Advance roll in 30k meant that his entire Tac + Apothecary blob got wiped out. I tried not to gloat but I'm only human.

- Legion Medusa, I love you, let's run away to Olympia together.

- War of Lies, man. Fuckin' War of Lies. You think you've got this sewn up and the variable score objectives gently caress you bad.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

chutche2 posted:

a friendly chinaman.

Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature, dude.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

ijyt posted:

Don't be offended on other people's behalves on Something Awful dot Com

whoosh

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I didn't know Iron Hands got access to Ironfire.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Looking at scratch-building a Praetor to run along with a Weaponmasters Vet Squad which is equipped with power swords. I'm thinking Artificer Armor, Iron Halo, and a Paragon Blade. I've got two things that I'm mulling over.

1) Is it worth sticking a Volkite charger onto him? I'm thinking either that or a plasma pistol, but the major strike against the pistol is that it doesn't grant the extra attack.

2) What are some of the better plastic bits, GW or non-GW, for conversion to a paragon blade that would stand out from other swords? I've seen way too many people just stuff the 40k Company Champion sword on and call it a day, and I'm also not entirely sure I want to use the Sanguinary Guard sword either.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Major Spag posted:

Thanks for the advice. Are volkites culverin's actually useful or are they considered too expensive for what they do versus plasma/missiles/lascannons?

Also, with pride of the legion, both the termies and vets would be considered troops, correct? Would I only allocate 10 marines as vets freeing up 10 as assault marines in your opinion or just two vet squads?

You really can't go wrong with Marksman Vets. If it was me, I'd run two squads of those.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Finishing up my fist/PB Praetor, then touching up and varnishing the power sword Vet squad that he's gonna run with. After that, finish up my last 5 suicide squad combi plasma Vets and I'm done apart from varnishing Perty and taking pics for my toxx. It all shakes out to a little more than 3000 points.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Oh hahaha I almost forgot that after I finish this round of varnish I have to oil wash and re-varnish literally everything in my army. Please kill me

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Angron also went daemon prince during the Heresy. It's in Betrayer, one of the best HH novels - it's strongly implied that Lorgar deliberately orchestrated Angron's fall to Chaos and rise as a daemon prince specifically so they'd have someone besides Horus who could face down Sanguinius at Terra and have a shot at winning.

Yeah, but did he participate in the war any more after that? I haven't read anything with Angron in it after Betrayer, and he gets locked away at the end of that.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

In a reversal of normal goon laziness, I've had Perty painted for like four months now and have been super lazy about taking pictures because I don't have a light box.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am going to be painting Angron this month, so I will be (theoretically) half way out from under my TOXX burden.

My real question is how I should paint the dead Marines on his base. Loyalist World Eaters is how it should be, but I think part of me is always sexually aroused by seeing dead Iron Warriors.

Ultras for that Betrayer feeling.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Started oil washing my Iron Warriors and I have a dilemma: do I give Shakin' Perty an oil wash too or do I leave him clean to stand out even more? I think that either way I'm washing the wrecked Titan on his base.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Stanyer89 posted:

Post a pic of it to see if it needs washed or not.

Luckily my Foldio came in today so I'll post pics tonight and fulfill my toxx at the same time, after I'm done beating the pelts off these space woofs.

E: space woofs gave up and quit saltily so here are some lovely cellphone pics that are also literally my first lightbox pics and I probably don't know how to properly use it yet. I'll probably take better pictures later with a real camera.

Perty:

The Boys:

Family Photo:

TOXX FULFILLED

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 24, 2017

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

ijyt posted:

Looks great, classic Stanyer to get mad about space wolves though.

Naw, it wasn't him, it was some hamstore 40k spacewoofs.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

I hadn't considered the homoerotic aspect, oiling might be mandatory now...

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Does varnishing after an oil wash gently caress up the whole effect?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

They're putting out a Heresy core rulebook which will basically be 7.5 from all indications. I wouldn't expect an 8e version for quite a while.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

This is probably a real bad idea but I went and made something dumb and bad to store photos of my Iron Warriors Hands Warriors: https://manlyhamslams.wordpress.com/

It is absolutely not formatted for mobile so I don't recommend going to the site at all but especially not on a phone or tablet.

Right now it's mostly bad iphone pictures but I'm hoping to replace them with actual camera pics later this week.

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 9, 2017

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Anyone got a link to the stream?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Apparently we may be getting trolled hard by TTerrible. Will post live updates as the news develops.

Shocking.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Hell, they make an Averland Sunset spray nowadays that does half the work of painting yellow for you.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Hamshot posted:

All finished toxxes at the end of the year should fight to see who would win :getin:

Who wins when a bunch of nerds beat the poo poo out of each other with chunks of resin? The audience.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Speaking of which, do we have a breakdown of who's completed their toxx and who's doomed?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Other than the obvious Mechanicum, who’s the hot sex for a small Allied Detachment for Iron Warriors? Was toying with the idea of Talons of the Emperor but it looks like you can’t take them as Allies.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Before I decide whether or not to commit, will conversions suffice? Kinda want to do Red Butchers but don’t 100% love the models.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Is Scoria basically wearing a Defiler in that picture? That's kind of hilarious if so.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Broken Record Talk posted:

It's the "Xanthanite Abeyant" which conveys +1 wound, +1 attack, IWND, Move Through Cover, Very Bulky, Hardened Armour, and another Photon Thruster. Angry Mechboi Tomb Scorpion FTMFW!

I was talking more about the visual design. One of the guys here plays Dark Mech, I'm entirely too aware of how incredibly nasty Scoria is.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

panascope posted:

Someone change the umbrella to say Busch Light

:captainpop:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

nice

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Forge World appears to have just put up errata for the main rules and drop pods as a whole, and (among other things) I think we just saw Vet Spam take a bit of a hit as Marksmen were removed entirely unless I’m somehow reading this wrong.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

GreenMarine posted:

For Iron Warriors, what are the recipes you all are finding success with?

Armor:
Army Painter gunmetal spray
Leadbelcher
Nuln Oil in the recesses
Ironbreaker and Stormhost Silver highlights
Varnish
Burnt Umber oil paint
White spirits applied after 10 min of the oil paint, letting the rusty look spread over the armor and into the cracks

Black: Vallejo black grey
Eshin Grey highlights

Hazard stripes: layer of Averland Sunset, highlighted with Yriel Yellow, painter’s tape applied, alternating Vallejo black grey stripes with Eshin Grey highlights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Tommunist posted:

Horus heresy 2.0 but its a card game

Pogs.