Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Those are some super nice looking traitors. How did you make the chaplain?

The BaC pret sticks out like a sore thumb, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I chose Death Guard because their scheme was the easiest/least insane in that one FW pdf with painting instructions. You know what I'm talking about!

I'm running them as loyalists, since I don't feel like playing traitors, and I think that the whole "eh, who needs a good plan when you can tough it out" is silly and my loyalist force commander thought as such. This would be basically the reason why IWs - if I ever collected them - would be loyalist: some commander always thought Pert to be a moody emo git and wanted to break away from the whole "we'll bury the enemy under our own corpses" thing.

My thinking is so rigid that WBs are probably the only army that I'd collect as tretors.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'm thinking of buying 40K Marine bikes and giving them DG helmets and shoulderpads to make them look more 30k. Sure, the Outriders are updated Epic Marine bikes, but I feel like the brutal shapes of the 40K ones serve DG better.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I spent so much time hating 7e that I though 8e was going to be good. And while it has good stuff (AP, no more random rolling for WTs or Powers, Vehicles and MCs aren't that unbalanced, everything can technically hurt everything) it found some new bullshit (Mortal Wounds, vehicles becoming MCs, aura stacking). I can probably say that I hate 8e less than I do/did 7e, but HH is in 7e++, so I can't do poo poo.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I didn't feel that the loss of templates was that bad... until I played in an Infinity tournament, where I felt the true kiss of blasts. Templates 4ever.

Now, I have a long list of grievances I have with 8e as well as a few compliments. Here it goes!

8e cons, in no particular order:
1. lovely rule writing in general - they should have playtested it better before the release, w/r/t things like how do you measure charge to dudes on 2nd floor.
2. IGO/UGO is still a system where your opponent can go to sleep during your turn. Alternating activations or rolling for activation like in Epic would have been much better.
3. Mortal Wounds is a horrible patch to deathstars - there are units that negate MWs already, and if the power bloat remains anything like it was in 7e, soon they'll get out of hand.
4. There's really nothing to represent chain of command outside "commander dead, you lose the aura and enemy gains 1 VP"
5. The new morale system is horrible and I hate it with a passion.
6. A shootmanz game without pinning baked into the rules is a bad game (conversely, VisV/TacStrike is super good)
7. Random Number Of Hits is a poo poo replacement for templates.
8. Psychic powers have been nerfed to be totally boring, and yet some armies are still aiming to be OP in Psychic phase.
9. Melee armies either getting a first turn charge, or getting cut to ribbons is not good game balance.
10. New hero targeting rules and auras is not a great way to solve the issue of 5e-7e heroes.
11. Rerolls after modifiers are trash
12. Making rules shorter somehow resulted in endless FAQing.
13. Vehicles without armor facing are pig disgusting
14. Command Points are the new "Roll for your WT/Psychic powers." Are some things hard to balance? Give them a CP price. Creating a new mode of battle, like Cityfight? Put all the fun stuff behind CPs. Don't have a kit for Command Chimeras or Commissar tanks? Hide them behind CPs.
15. Chapter Tactics FOR EVERYONE ended up with "chapter tactics" being super bland and some of them being obviously superior (-1 to hit over 12" vs. 6++++ save)
16. There might have been too many USRs previously, but giving out snowflake USRs to each and every unit is a bad idea, especially once it comes to balancing poo poo.
17. Outside of manpacked mortal, artillery should not be placed on the table in any 28mm game.
18. Infantry can charge fliers in flight.
19. Fliers are still a thing, instead of being an abstraction/representing drop off like drop pods do.
20. The game still takes forever, partially because the armies always fight till near mutual destruction.
21. Too many lovely itty bitty armies getting their own dexes while some entire factions aren't getting updated (Orks!).
22. The stupid long dex development cycle will result in power creep and already does.
23. Previously, you had some chance of defending from psykers even if you had none. Now you're poo poo outta luck.
24. Tanks draw line of sight from any part of the hull, which sucks hard.

8e Pros

1. Challenges and Look Out Sir, also known as Cancer and Cancer II: More Cancer, are gone. Challenges were never interesting, being a way for character to both whack a unit leader (and whatever dudes die out of sympathy) without fear of retribution.
2. Vehicles don't really explode from one shot.
3. Damage spillover is dead and gone.
4. The keyword system lessens the possibility for death stars, unlike previously, where you could put Azrael into a 50 man blob of Conscripts, give them a priest, boost them with a psyker and end up with an invisible, fearless murder mob. This was so bad, HH rulebook axed invisibility.
5. Vehicles are no longer inferior to MCs.
6. Glancing hits are dead and gone, though you could argue that the new wounding system works the same.
7. No more random warlord traits or psychic powers; making them random was an obvious ploy to avoid careful balancing. You don't have to worry about players always taking the Good And Powerful Powers when the players don't get the choice.
8. High end units are no longer functionally immortal when faced with hordes of say Guardsmen.
9. AP modifier is cool and good,
10. The old formations and detachments aren't back... yet.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

yeah JC shouldn't be wasting his time trying to explain a superior game to a bunch of broke-brained toxic fucks who prefer to spend their days cleaning release agent off models and jerking off to templates

I wasn't posting about Necromunda tho

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Templates are fine! The best case against them that I have seen was in a MWG vid where orks went against NLs and gretchin cannons were demolishing dudes. Sure, you're BS2, but when you're spamming shots, it doesn't really matter, it will land somewhere.

I think this could be remedied with misfires and the lot.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

That's one way to apply glazes, I guess

JcDent
May 13, 2013

If I ever collect Mechanicus, the leader will be Magos Dominus Arcane Lad.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, those Death Guard make my dudes look like warmed-over crap.

So jelly of you, Amerigoons.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

How big were those Bush lights? I'm usually drunk after 4 half a litre cans!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I don't think I was ever 7 L of beers in, even with the "normal" 3.5-4% range.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

panascope posted:

It’s not that confusing, Iron Hands Terminators are good.

But we're talking about IWs?

BULBASAUR, you git, when are the rules coming out? My friend has lost faith in 40K (good) and maybe wargaming in general (less good), I need something lure him!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Calth was super confusing to some people.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

This sounds exciting and cool, and bulbasaur is a great dude

JcDent
May 13, 2013

"Mah Gawd, look at th' size of it!"

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Better than Girlyman and/or dorn.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Your Magos specialization also counts. Go with Lacrimae and recreate the living dead with tech-thralls, for example.

For me, Mechanicum is the faction where all the cool poo poo (Thallax, Castelax, thralls) is in Troops and the rest is kinda meh.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Peltasts seem generally broken in 7E because of their stacking shields and whatever. They'll shoot you to gently caress but won't be shot back.

Thallax > ursurax and non-heavy Myrmidons have spindly nerd arms

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Probably gonna have silly protodefilers and stuff. Maybe babby soulgrinders?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I thought Hellbrutes are just a retcon on CSM dreads, with GW pretending they were there all along.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The Maro Lago is a lot different, seeing how it's one of the OG possessed fused with a shattered contemptor.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I have magnetized support, in both tac and heavy varieties (I like the ML targetter backpacks). Unfortunately, not all heavy weapons are backpackless, so I'll have to have exclusive dudes.

Once I get to Veterans, maybe I'll magnetize some over the shoulder weapons from the SM Heavy/special weapons kit.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Big tank is cool

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Conversion beamer is an interesting choicr for a termie weapon

JcDent
May 13, 2013

What's the Mountainfire company?

Also, some sweet IFs there. Those poor taxticals, tho...

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Just establish dominance by taking your opponents’ units and smashing them on the ground as you kill them putting them in your mouth and you’ll be fine.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Oh, cool. Why no vexilias/special weapons?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The angle of the right arm on the first zerker seems a little extreme.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Interesting that the Aurox is available for non-Survivors of the Dark Age provenance Imperialis Militia (the Rhinos were only SotDA).

Considering that you can only take them for Grens and command squads, there's not that much difference... unless yer not taking survivors yet want a non-SH transport.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

How much of FW costs is just rear end in a top hat pricing? Resin materials and silicon molds are not that expensive, right, if half of some random shops use it?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I wonder if the dude who wrote that about hentai was doing it unironically.

Also, you made a mistake there stating that FW has good daemonttes when
1. They have none
2. No company has ever produced a daemonette to match diaznettes (wtf, Raging Heroes).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Something something Overton window

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, at least there are all those books that I'll be able to read long past the point where 30K is entirely dead. In 6 months, the only thing on sale is going to be the Leviathan, because rear end in a top hat 40k players want those mortal wounds.

I love this well planned genius business - that made Titatinicus, a giant robit game, 8mm not because they want to gently caress over Epic miniature havers, but because they're so forward planning enough to plan for infantry down the line - discontinues legion upgrade kits five months after releasing a new rulebook and LCtOs a bunch of Solar Auxilia stuff on the day it launches a new SA transport.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Next week: Orlock weapon packs, last chance to order Goliath and Escher weapon packs.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So they're removing parts unusable with Primaris... and pads for non-plastic PA mark only?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

TTerrible posted:

This is a really great battle report:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrUrnGOxRgE

I'm the 22 seconds of intro.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

ijyt posted:

I’m the guy who pauses the video to post

I'm
BWEEEEM
a
BWEEEEM
poo poo!

That poor sod, all that shooting at the Castellax. Should have Fury of the Legion'd them sexy Thallax.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I like your love for tacticals and apothecaries, but what will you do if you see a vehicle?

Also, is the whole point of the RoW to give you one deep striking squad of termies?

What do transponders do?

How will you not go insane painting that many yellow Marines?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Primaris Marines are good models*.

Shame about the fluff and everything else.

*Notable exceptions: any hero/command models, which have zero choices aside from "do you want your miniature holding right hand down and pointing the gun with the left, or vice versa?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Meanwhile, here I am, slowly converting those 40k bikes to 30K DG outriders.