Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

BULBASAUR posted:

Good news nerds:

FW hired a veteran 40k writer to help them finish the upcoming Prospero book :)

Not funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

adamantium|wang posted:

Operation: gently caress your farming scythes Mortarion is a go

Gotta neaten it up and fill that gap at the top, but I'm p pleased.

So much better.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Where's Magnus already. FFS.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

My 1k sons are just tactcals with bolters, and some terminators with ranged weapons.

The style will likely not involve a lot of close combat.

Other than that I'm in your boat as many others are, waiting for the book to drop.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Funny seeing the 40k version before the 30k one.

Also Arhiman overcooked the legion.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

ijyt posted:

Thanks for this, having a look around looks like a mixture of Tamiya Smoke and Clear Yellow/Green might get me the colour I'm looking for. I'll keep on going with the now matte olive green though, as painting Minotaurs, Alpha Legion, and now Salamanders might just be a bit too much metallic for me to handle sanely.

Use very dark metallic base undercoats- I use VMA black metal primarily (highlight I believe with VMA gun metal) and from there you thinly layer the clear. When painting my 1k sons one of my attempts looked EXACTLY like the Word Bearers colors because I went TOO dark.

Grab a pack of plastic spoons and experiment to find the right mix.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Never had the urge to jump legions. I played 1k sons since 3rd edition (mind you I took a break between 4.5-6) and never looked back.

Totally never pondered Iron Hands. Nope.

e: May be interested in the Custodes, also your BoP game board f you want to dispose of it. I'll shoot you an email.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Anyone who had metallic paint jobs done on their men will like the fact that gloss wash does in fact work and look good.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

PantsOptional posted:

For those of you who bought the Prospero box, does the booklet clear up the deal with Geigor Fell-Hand at all? Is it just an entirely new character who happens to be unfortunately named very similarly to Bjorn, or something else?

Um there isn't much. Here, this is all there really is:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

PantsOptional posted:

Well the obvious answer is snow/ice, although making some sort of Prospero-themed bases wouldn't be a bad idea either. Maybe some sort of marble effect?

I've been trying to do a marble base effect for a while now with no luck.

I think one problem is that I don't want to do white marble- most of the tables I play on are darker so it'll stand out and draw from the model.

I was thinking black with white and gold veins, but every time I do it just looks like poo poo.

With the BoP set I was considering getting the pre made plasticard with tile 1/4" tiles engraved and have them match the boards that came with the set.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Every time I paint the lines they look like someone tried to paint veins but they came out like lightning.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Felime posted:

Re: Marble Chat

I work in a library that houses samples of architectural materials. I have not yet tried this, but I really want to try to make laminate work for terrain/bases.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wilsonar...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I may grab a sample tab off our wall at work today and see what I can do to a test base. Biggest issue is probably cutting it neatly and if the pattern scales well to that small.

I have a sheet of that exact same laminate that I bought for that purpose when trying it.

There are 3 problems:

- The scale of the marble is too large for bases
- The laminate is thick, about 30% of a base height.
- The texture is made to grip some, so it's matte and rough like typical laminate.

I spent a lot of time at Home Depot looking at the little cards they have as samples, and some would work (if I could acquire about 100) although I haven't found a really good classic marble sample.

e: I'm also looking into dollhouse floor types.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

That scales better than I imagined, although as you say probably would need to select specific areas.

I'm looking into one of those circle cutter things (like a compass).

I ordered one of these on eBay yesterday- it's a sheet of 1" black marble squares, cost about $10 with shipping.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Lord Twisted posted:

Finally (Dec WD)

About time. I've been waiting on this to start spending beyond tacticals. :homebrew:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Marble base update: I ordered the Handley marble base flooring, ran about $10 when you count in shipping.

I'm ok the fence. In some ways it looks more like granite, and if you look very, very closely you can see the color dots showing it's essentially just a print. The lines defining the tiles are sunk in.

I may experiment and try to wash it down. I could just go with a white marble base (it's easier) however I feel white bases are a bit off compared to the usually darker tones of most boards.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I do! Have had this saved for a while.

Pretty much black marble with jade veins. Some of them would highlight with white, but the green is just subtle enough to keep them being Christmas sorcerers.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I gave up on black marble due to lack of shade options and just went for another go at jade. Used many layers of Kabalite green, coelia greenshade, waystorne green, and waywatcher green with veins in VMA white/ VMA blue grey. Underneath I mixed cadandora yellow with some spiritstone red, then 2 coats of 'ardcoat. I also tried to do what I could to keep it from looking Christmas-y.

e: ignore the power sword paint. It's not done.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Thanks- it's not a lot more time than what I've had before for other armies (static grass, mud and cork or sand) just that it's a little more involved. Having a hair dryer helps speed it up. Also Mango your duders were my inspiration to keep plugging away.

The blue with red/green probably is a bit, but most of the models are the usual boltmarine. I do worry the green is too much, so I was thinking about splitting it between green and white with a gold grout strip. I'll paint something up tonight if I have the time.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Jeff Sichoe posted:

Burning of Prospero was just delivered to my home - guess what i'm gonna be doing tonight!

Has anyone played the actual board-game part? I assume most of you fellas just whip the models out and consign the cardboard and dice to the bottom of the wardrobe?

Anyone in welly playing HH? I would visit the GW store and ask around but it's closed because of the earfquakes and stuff. Although my co-worker is happy he's saved a few hundred in the last week or so because of it :)

There's a game with it?

Seriously though, I used some of the dice for wound counters (along with some of my x-wang evade to mark jinks)

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I have about 40 tacticals and cataphractii (shooty) for my 1k sons, but no idea where to go next. I've been waiting for he book but with so little info and the release being pushed back so often maybe I should expand a bit? Where would I go that would be "safe" choices to flesh this out to a somewhat playable force in the meantime?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mango Polo posted:

February 4th. Patience is a virtue.

Why have you been doing in the meantime?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

:toxx:ing for Magnus.

If for some reason FW delays a year shift it over to a Sicaran.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

panascope posted:

A Sicaran ain't a lord of war.

I didn't read the part where it had to be a LoW.

Backup should be Corax, I'm too broke for a Glaive or Fellblade.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Either way your account will be banned on Jan 1 of next year unless you post some kind of LoW you painted in this thread! :evilbuddy:

I'll have to set up an annoying calendar reminder for every 3 days like I have to remind me to update my CEUs

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Finally finished the 30 or so tacticals that I started months ago. I decided not to go with the marble base, it looked great but detracted from the model. After a while I just fell into using astrogranite debris combined with agrellan earth, then painted VMA black grey.

Sorry about the lighting, I did try.

I used a Necron staff because I figured it's a good symbol of their pre-heresy attitude: the desire to mess with things they do not have a full understanding on. It's like something this little dude "found" and figured it worked pretty cool.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

1k Sons win awards for coolest looking and least effective legion. Their primary accomplishments during the Heresy were (1) not using enough stamps when sending space mail to the emperor and (2) as a result of the former, getting wrecked by Norway's pissiest chapter of furries. The 1k Sons couldn't even die right! Magnus told them to just chill and wait for death, but then he bailed on that decision once the norwegians burned his first edition copy of LotR books of awesome knowledge.

Magnus killed two eldar titans with his brain.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

So are we coming up on when Magnus is revealed? Please say yes.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mango Polo posted:

Alright, I did say we can make generic units amazing, so let's go over that (and some list-building ideas).

Thank you so much for this writeup- I've been having trouble reading the images leaked from the weekender, and haven't been able to really analyze what we have. Add in that I haven't been able to really play 30k since I had no idea what I was going to get (aside from what o have at the moment) this really helps.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The only thing seems to be losing the one time perils protection?

Also I thought breachers were meh outside of ZA?

I like list #1 more but I have zero experience in 30k itself.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

First I hate how autocomplete changes ZM to ZA.

Second given how early on Russ was shown, I have a feeling the puppies were done long before TS and definitely from a different persona.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

OhDearGodNo posted:

:toxx:ing for Magnus.

Need to change my LoW choice to Ferrus.

Long story but no regrets.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

BULBASAUR posted:

Why are you playing Iron Warriors??

Is this a :thejoke: thing? I might not understand

First, I partially blame you:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750247&pagenumber=115&perpage=40#post462775171

But Eagerly awaiting 1ksons getting a revamp in 40k and a book for 30k, I spent most of 2016 in eager anticipation. When WoM fell I gleefully began to build a sweet coven and laughed as I generated 23+ warp charge per turn. My psychic phases were only rivaled my my IG turn 2 shooting phase (where I go nuts with prescience + FRFSRF).

However as I began playing the games my shoulders sank, I don't know what happened but I wasn't enjoying it. For 30k, as soon as the images came up here I began building small lists and proxying what I didn't have. Still, it just didn't seem to really follow my method of playing. In addition, many things using the psychic phase go against a significant issue I have with short term memory. But overall it didn't click like it did with my first 1kS army I used to have back in 3rd Ed. I played about 5 games with different lists and it's always the same.

My oldest son has been playing Emperor's Children in 40k (and 30k recently) for a few years now, and he is who I play against almost weekly. I honestly love the Ferrus model, I have always considered it the best sculpt of the Primarchs (The best model overall is a Brian Nelson sculpt from Inquisitor).

Anyway, I decided to shift gears and paint my Mk III as IH and the test games I played against my son's EC were really fun (especially with the banter back and forth) and I feel like shifting in that direction at least for now.

Today I bit the bullet and ordered Ferrus from FW.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

SRM posted:

He's only about a head shorter than most Primarchs.

I subscribe to a bailout theory that he made a backup copy of his brain and returns someday as an Levi Dread which would be on par with what IH seem to aspire to.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Lord Twisted posted:

Lol Jesus loving Christ mate it's a massive error on the goddamn FIRST PAGE OF THIS £80 BOOK.

It's a print issue.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

GW and FW have always had top notch customer service, even when they would send out poo poo casts.

Quit bitching and whining about how they are complete poo poo because a page is upside down, and contact them like any other adult would.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Whoever designed Ferrus' backpack and the convoluted way to assemble it can burn in hell.

2 hours and 3 pins.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

DJ Dizzy posted:

Awoooooooo

Awuuuuuuu

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

If you apply your paint a little thinner, and wash with nuln oil, you can clean up some of where it bled over.

As a guy with bad vision and also shaky hands, I tend to hold close and make sure both hands are on the table- it helps immensely.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Figured I'd post and update on my :toxx: LoW- progress is agonizingly slow in fear of screwing something up. After a box of spoons I finally got the gun bluing effect I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Stanyer89 posted:

I see you are going with the optional head bit.

My son plays EC. Prior to gluing, it disappeared no less than 4 times.