Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I had to scroll back thinking "Why didn't he put in a funny picture of Sipilä?" before I noticed it was a wax sculpture realdoll.

As far as I've gathered Essayah is the same kind of insane Räsänen was, she just hasn't had the opportunity to talk about the gays on TV yet and might have the nous to shut up about them for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Kokoomus realized they can privatize poo poo and there's still that whole slate of legislation Sipilä is happy to help push through. This is the best possible coalition for them and the best possible sote package for them from the best possible coalition.

"Freedom of choice" is essentially a poison pill. It'll gnaw at the system from the inside. Sweden went with the model and costs didn't go down. When the costs won't go down because of "freedom of choice", Kokoomus can deflect blame and say it's because of too many sote regions instead. Keskustas people probably saw the poison pill coming, but seem to be content with having secured their position for the current generation of their political class.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 7, 2015

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

SnowblindFatal posted:

I think that since PS has currently 0 negotiation power, Kepu and Kock want to keep the government together as long as possible.

They're holding the PS party hostage!

Yeah, PS has no bargaining power whatsoever and Kepu and Kok are free to go completely off the reservation on any point in the coalition program because the only thing Soini can do about it is also the last thing he wants to do.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Did Sipilä really make any promises? He was a quintessential centre-right politician right up until the election campaign started and that he spent in radio silence. My guess is that he got persuaded by neoliberal shock doctrine sometime in 2014 and having drunk the kool-aid realized that talking about such things in the open before the election would be risky so he just avoided saying anything, you know, for the good of the country. Those rubes might not make Kepu the biggest party if they knew he was ready to do all these necessary reforms!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

doverhog posted:

Look I'm sure the thing is poo poo and could be better in a lot of ways but even so it's still an improvement on the old thing. 18 areas is a lot less than the number on kuntas that were handling it before.

And Finns aren't white, Mongol ancestry is well established at this point.

Costs increased in Sweden after they implemented "money follows the patient" and a slice of the money will go to tax havens instead of domestic consumption. 15 sote regions without privatization bullshit would be fine by me. (18 just plain isn't viable, the areas would be too small)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Befedorad MRAs have co-opted it to explain their own twisted worldview.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

The third sector is included too so it's totally not just about the private sector, guys. Freedom of choice! :911:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

The unionized workers are being asked to train scabs, so I can see why they are reluctant to do so. However it means that they've been kicking people off work and refusing them health services for it, when training is not even their main job, so Posti is purposefully crippling itself by removing its employees for refusing to train scabs. This is technically called a lockout (työsulku) and the employer is not supposed to do that without any forewarning. So on that reasoning it's not an illegal strike, but an illegal lockout.

Of course the whole thing is tastier because it's a publicly owned corporation.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

It will never pass parliament, no, but it'll be fun to see if Cock and Pers let PS play the internal opposition game or if they'll require them to have the rest of the government's stance on euro.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

It's a longer vs. shorter term problem. In the short term you benefit from keeping an increasingly desperate and election-shy party in the coalition because they'll do whatever you can come up with, but it doesn't go towards popping the populism balloon, and you set a bad example for future cooperation with other parties.

You could go the gays/nukes route and make abandoning the euro a matter of conscience since it's never going to pass, but that seems kind of far-fetched. Also, I've actually believed Soini when he's said that he doesn't want Finland to leave the euro, he just wants to "reform" it or whatever the hell. So it'll be another chance for the propellerhead brigade to strike a wedge into the middle of the party.

Although since we already know to wait for the Wet Fart scenario, I imagine they'll kill it in committee without forcing PS MPs to vote on it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Postal strike starts tomorrow, but at the very least, Posti has agreed not to use SOL's temps as scabs.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Hey speaking of greedy porvarit, Kimmo Sasi is back! He's now a lobbyist for EVA and the former chairman of the parliamentary constitutional committee wants to get rid of that pesky part in the Constitution that reserves the use of public power to the state.

The whole thing is kokoomus.txt but some choice bits:

quote:

Evan johtajan Matti Apusen mukaan perusoikeuksien rooli olisi kasvanut suhteettomaksi.

– Niihin vetoamalla yritetään ennakkoon estää lakihankkeiden alulle paneminen, kirjoittaa Apunen raportin esipuheessa.

People are claiming garbage laws are against the constitution before we even enact them! How dare they!

quote:

Evan johtaja Matti Apunen sanoo, että perusoikeusargumentti jakaa vasemmistoa ja oikeistoa voimakkaasti leireihin. Mutta kyse on Apusen mukaan myös siitä, kuka perustuslakia saa tulkita.

– Missä on se ylipapisto, joka kertoo, mikä hanke on kelvollinen alulle pantavaksi?

Also known as the two camps of "the constitution" and "against the constitution". And note that completely bizarre attempt to frame a debate on the constitutionality of proposed laws into "Well where are the scholars who tell us what is constitutional?!"

Just to reiterate, the way I read this they want to remove the entirety of section 124, not just the last sentence. To refresh your memory,

quote:

Julkinen hallintotehtävä voidaan antaa muulle kuin viranomaiselle vain lailla tai lain nojalla, jos se on tarpeen tehtävän tarkoituksenmukaiseksi hoitamiseksi eikä vaaranna perusoikeuksia, oikeusturvaa tai muita hyvän hallinnon vaatimuksia. Merkittävää julkisen vallan käyttöä sisältäviä tehtäviä voidaan kuitenkin antaa vain viranomaiselle.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 24, 2015

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

So, Kempele. The narrative basically builds itself. If they were (they're confirmed to be Afghani asylum seekers, so much for the police-media conspiracy) housed in Sipilä's spare house, wowza.

Still not sure Sipilä's crisis meeting and how changing laws is going to do anything since last I checked raping people is already super illegal. Fence in refuge centres so you can't leave I guess?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

You still run into non-refoulement problems if they're from a shithole like Somalia or Afghanistan. It just means they have no legal status whatsoever, which I'm sure will not lead into more crimes being committed by them. You're still not allowed to drop a murderer or rapist into an active war zone by international treaties.

There's already that one case with the Somalian murderer who has been released from prison and the police are trying to figure out how they can deport him into Somalia.

Edit: I went to check the law and there's already an escape clause in case of secondary protection (toissijainen suojelu) and humanitarian protection: it can be refused if the person is suspected of committing a "törkeä rikos". If it doesn't apply here for some stupid reason then yeah, sure, broaden it sufficiently. (And yes, that's just suspicion, not even a conviction.)

There's no such escape clause in the legit asylum section for crimes committed in Finland, but these two particular guys were never going to qualify for actual asylum, which is available if you are personally persecuted for your political views or sexual orientation or whatever. They're just from a shithole.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 24, 2015

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Is it possible for that to be a false flag false flag? 'cause that person sounds like a Hommafoorumilainen fantasy of kukkahattutäti and not a real person. Or am I missing the joke?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Interesting. "Actual" asylums are probably easier to figure out so they might just be getting the easy poo poo out of the way first, though. But it's also possible the whole noise about tightening things up was just PR and they're just shifting around the grounds on which they let you stay.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Our government is so resolute.

My prediction: all black people are to be banished to Africa. Then 24h later the decision is reversed.

But they weren't even bla- oh. Oh. Yes, that is something they would propose as a solution to this particular problem!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Two years in tutkintavankeus is a gently caress of a long time. Even if he's ultimately convicted there's no point in keeping him banged up if he can't tamper with the investigation or the trial.

I think tutkintavankeus is written off from your conviction so he might end up sitting very little if any time if he is convicted and given ehdoton vankeus. E.g. he gets four years and serves only half because he's a first timer. Although if he's guilty of all parts of the indictment it'll probably be more than four years.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

As far as I can tell the unions were basically offering employers a collective zero raise contract on a platter for 2017, and then EK declared they won't do tupo anymore, giving AKT a great excuse to stop playing ball too. I can't blame AKT for taking the opening if EK are being greedy.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

That's not the kind of "if" that "if" is. English is a dumb language.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Rexroom posted:

As for those who do get a sentence based on rape: I suspect the "does not end the asylum process" means they'll go through it and say: "We have refused your application. Nice meeting you! Bye." This is Finnish bureaucracy after all.

Yeah, you'd think that as a general rule, "If you make an application for something you get an actual decision you can appeal on it" is fine, especially since you can theoretically hang around in the country for eternity if your case is never processed (that's why they are trying to process them so quickly).

Politicians just like to bloviate about enacting new pointless laws when stuff happens because it's the only thing they can do about it, save for marching into a police station and ceremonially executing the suspect with hanzo steel as the police applaud.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Reminder that Stubb also claimed that he'd consulted constitutional scholars about the pakkolait and then when the scholars were asked and documents were requested, no evidence of such consultations were evident. Stubb is a fabulist, he constructs a personal reality based on what he thinks ought to be true and then forgets to keep his doublethink going like all the other politicians. If he were a junior minister (or, heaven forbid, a woman) he'd be out of the cabinet already.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

What do the tax agency and the police know about tax evasion and money laundering anyway?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Like I posted earlier though, that's only actual turvapaikka, and Sipilä just didn't pay attention to his terminology or (more likely) doesn't understand the difference.

It's probably being highlighted by Migri because they want to extend it to cover that too. Also making Sipilä look like a clown is always a good time.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

If we'd had reasonable quotas instead of this 500 a year nonsense and a population-based sharing system we could've taken people - and the most vulnerable people too, we'd actually have some over control who - at a steady pace instead of a sudden influx, but obviously that was never going to happen because "if we take 3000 a year now willingly we won't maybe get 30 000 out of the blue next year" is not going to fly with the electorate. Cutting aid to UNHCR so that the refugee camps were too lovely to stay in was also a contributing factor.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Rexroom posted:

The 30% price hike is the perfect solution in cutting down the amount of people queuing for health-care services. This way doctors have enough time to do their work by giving prioritization to people who really matter in our society: Actual (working) people, not some grannies with Munchhausen syndrome or violent alcoholic tramps. :v:

But the important people who matter already have private health care secured through their employer.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Ding ding ding! Valinnanvapaus triumphs again.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Too bad the fundraising law is still outdated so we can't put together a kickstarter and give him money.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

The reason I've never taken Libertarians seriously (besides the obvious reasons, natch) is that when I was a teenager I had very libertarian opinions, but once I was finishing high school and enrolled in university I realized the world wasn't black and white but would look very nice in a shade of red. Brainwashed by communist university professors, etc.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I have an overdeveloped Fremdscham gland so I could only stand to watch it for a few minutes, I hope someone throws together a Best Of edit later.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

Look mates, everybody knows that all important decisions should be taken only when all involved are either dead tired, hungover as all gently caress or have at least one bottle of kossu in them.

But don't you understand, the economy will melt down tomorrow if we don't make a decision tonight tomorrow on Saturday!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

If the economy desperately needs stimulus and the government is refusing to increase spending except by repairing broken windows, then maybe a government-subsidized window manufacture and repair industry is the only politically possible way to stimulate the economy.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

vuohi posted:

You have expressed this idea before in suomipolketju. I'm slowly starting to think that you might be serious.

You too.

Could we at least spare the populations of Nagasaki and Dresden this time? If we have to torch down the cities to improve the economy, let's give the people a chance to get away first. We could pay the burial industry for, eh, just digging a hole and then filling it without actually putting anyone in there this time.

Hey, it would be loving stupid stimulus, just like wiping out the country and starting from scratch would be. But it sure would mean our GDP would rise several percentage points a year!

The economy is made up and none of it really matters, also if asylum seekers poor people get money to buy groceries the money doesn't disappear into a black hole. Also it doesn't help if it's just the same amount of spending spread even more thinly between the old poor people and the new people, natch.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 11, 2015

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

What are these namby bamby wind farms and solar panels? Where's my Russian nuclear power plant?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

hillo posted:

I was discussing with my boss last summer when he was drunk. He told me that they fired one polish or something guy, because he was drunk at work all the time. And that the guy works building OL3 now.

Well the difference between Hanhikivi-1 and Olkiluoto-3 is that Olkiluoto-3 will never be finished but Hanhikivi-1 will probably be because Russia will see it as a matter of prestige and influence to have a nuclear plant operating on Finnish soil. I guess in that sense Fennovoima's plant is a more sensible investment.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I remember when everyone pat themselves on the back when the previous government increased the annual refugee quota (the only legal mechanism for bringing vulnerable people like children and women to Finland from refugee camps) by 300 to 1050 for 2015, although there was some worry whether there'd be settlement places for them since providing them is voluntary for municipalities.

It's down to 750 for 2016, natch.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Paavo Väyrynen, still got it

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

kikkelivelho posted:

Who are these 9 % people who would still vote for persus after seeing how completely paralyzed and spineless theyve been in the government. They're supposed to be the second largest party in the eduskunta yet as far as I can tell they haven't gotten a single thing done in almost a year. It's like betting on a boxer after already learning he's blind, deaf and has glass for bones.

Car tax was lowered.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Well he doesn't want his home to get petrol bombed. I can't blame him but maybe he should stop and think why that is a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Yle invited FDL to their insecurity theme night and declared it's going to be a discussion between the two extreme ends of the immigration issue, so four guests including two MPs have already withdrawn from it. FB is filling up with posts from MPs and ex-MPs about how Yle's called them desperate to get someone to attend.

The best thing to come out of the refugee crisis would be Yle ending these goddamn theme nights.