Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

You're the best, UP.

This is a big problem, and I am one of the ones who wishes we didn't have it.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the best we can hope for to come out of the summit in Paris? Obviously the worst case scenario is that nothing happens, but what is the best we can hope for? I undersrand you likely aren't a politician, but still...

The news is reporting that we have the capability tolimit warming to 2.7C if every country follows through on their pledges AND THEN follows up on them with more, but even that seems pretty rosy to me at this point.

As for what I am doing to help, 350.org is holding an event in DC at the end of November. I will be there. I'm phoneposting so I can't do links (I tried really hard for the link to that article above!), but I assume that people here can google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Squalid posted:

Googled this, didn't find anything. Their website isn't very intuitive... What's the date/subject?

Sorry about that.

https://act.350.org/event/global-climate-march_attend/11168/

They're holding events all over the world related to this, which is likely why it didn't show up.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Yup, and Rainforest in South America is still being decimated at an alarming rate.

We're already halfway to the 2*C limit that we set for ourselves. And we're barely into the 2000s.

I don't know why I keep coming back here for news. It just makes me want to go back to spewing doom and gloom everywhere.

This whole thing is just completely out of control at this point, and that scares the poo poo out of me. I should be sleeping right now for fucks sake.

:smithicide:

I suppose I should contribute other than that...

...Yeah, sure. Nuclear would be great.
Don't know how to make it happen though.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

blowfish posted:

Nobody who is grounded in reality seriously believes in less than 2°C of warming. More realistically, we're aiming for anything below maybe 2.5 or 3°C.

You're starting to make me not want to come to this thread for good news and cheery thoughts, you know that? :negative:

Is there ANY good news from this deal at all? Does anybody have good news whatsoever (on the topic of climate change)

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Theres been a bit of an oopsie in southern california, if you consider hundreds of thousands of pounds of methane leaking from the ground to be "a bit of an oopsie."

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

computer parts posted:

Yeah, like I said it's inertia. It's cheaper right now to keep what you've got and run it until it breaks down, rather than investing in any sort of upgrades.

If we're starting from ground zero, very few people are going to build a coal plant (and no one is going to build a coal plant like a lot of the ones currently in existence because they're only grandfathered in).

China and Japan appear to disagree with you on that one.

What you're saying is definitely true in the US, but America isn't the whole world.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

computer parts posted:

Japan is specifically doing that because they're being dumbasses about nuclear power and realized too late that they're too far north to generate solar power.

It doesn't matter why they're doing it. In terms of carbon emissions, its the same result - more coal plants.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

More good news!

The Supreme Court has issued a stay on the Clean Power Plan!

:negative:

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Colonel J posted:

I see what the graph says, but what DO those months have in common?

Sea ice volume for the two months are approximately equal.

January is the dead of winter, and September is just after melt season ends, if I am not mistaken.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

For a period of 24 hours (March 2 - March 3), the average temperature across the northern hemisphere was 2C above pre-industrial average

quote:

Since this post was originally published, the heat wave has continued. As of Thursday morning, it appears that average temperatures across the Northern Hemisphere have breached the 2 degrees Celsius above “normal” mark for the first time in recorded history, and likely the first time since human civilization began thousands of years ago. That mark has long been held (somewhat arbitrarily) as the point above which climate change may begin to become "dangerous" to humanity. It's now arrived—though very briefly—much more quickly than anticipated. This is a milestone moment for our species. Climate change deserves our greatest possible attention.

*AHEM*
:siren: :derp: :siren:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Overflight posted:

tl;dr If things are so bad WHAT IS THE GODDAMNED POINT IN ANYTHING?

Simply put, if your panic about anything is preventing you from functioning in life, you need to fix that. That being said, theres no shame in seeking mental help, such as therapy or even just a friend. (If you don't like people, maybe get a pet?)

I am not a mental health professional, so I can't be of service beyond what I've already said.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Rime posted:

You think we won't see the bad effects of climate collapse in our lifetimes? We already are, go read the news, it's only a matter of time before that shitshow comes to every shore.

Right, but thats not the same thing as "we will literally be like the start of Interstellar." These are problems that can theoretically be fixed and adapted to. We need to start working on how.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Rime posted:

Climate models have underestimated Earth’s sensitivity to CO2 changes, study finds

I can't wait to experience the end-permian extinction, without the hassle of building a time machine. :smith:

jesus loving christ we are all so dead. That is a stupidly high sensitivity they came up with. I mean... wow.

Really not much else to say about that.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Hollismason posted:

The human race won't go extinct we have enough technologically wise that the earth's population may die off but there will still be enclaves of the wealthy etc... who survive. So literally apocalyptic wasteland. Like we have the technology to build climate controlled large enclaves, small cities, etc..

Okay, but when I say "we are all so dead" I mean we as in "the poor people"

I'm not happy about that.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Yeah, we're doomed. That's life.

In the states in particular, we're fairly isolated from the cycle of life that has in general defined existence on Earth. People die. Civilizations die. You rise, you live for a bit, you die.

I used to be deeply bothered by this when I was younger. Then you realize that this is normal. You live, you do the best good you can, and you don't get in a tizzy when it becomes clear that you're facing the end. So many people have faced their end knowingly. This has happened so many times, and, well, they got through it.

I get that it can look grotesque to look at death or the prospect of others (or, in this case, pretty much everyone) being royally screwed. Continue. Do the best good you can regardless. The universe is okay. You'll live better and be able to do more good if you can personally accept it.

For me, the thing about that is that it's hard to deal with that viewpoint without also surrendering to nihilism. Yeah, I can do some good now, but as selfish as it seems, I'd like there to be a tomorrow I'm doing this good for. I'd like to have at least a little time to enjoy a perfect world before I go. Call it naive, call it selfish, but I'd like it if humanity stuck around long enough for spaceships, thank you very much.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Isaac0105 posted:

Well the reason you think this way is because the concept of progress in the West is something comparable to a religion. You think surrendering the idea of progress towards a better and brighter future is "nihilism" but that has less to do with reality and more to do with the "my god failed" effect.

The idea of progress is dead, industrial civilization will be dead soon but humanity might still go on. That should be enough of a tomorrow for you to do good for.

But...
...can I at least still shitpost on forums dot somethingawful dot com after industrial civilization collapses?

EDIT: Trabisnikof says yes, so I guess I feel better now.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 8, 2016

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

Carbon taxes are regressive and would cost a much larger % of a poor persons income than of a rich individal. Also they are a litteral death sentence for the third world. They also encourage monopolies and crony dealings.

When you make a claim like that (and don't bother to spell check) the onus is on you to provide evidence. But I'm going to be nice here and link my own sources:

quote:

Impact on Gasoline Prices
The EIA study of Lieberman-Warner found that the bill would add 42 cents per gallon to gas prices in 2030 as compared to BAU (a 12% increase). Analyses of Waxman-Markey found that it would increase gas prices 22 to 35 cents per gallon by 2030 (6 to 9%). The Peterson Institute analysis of Kerry-Lieberman found it would increase gas prices by approximately 10 cents per gallon (3%) by 2030.

Impact on Utility Bills
Analyses of Waxman-Markey found that its impacts on monthly utility bills by 2030 ranged from a $5.60 decrease to a $2.80 increase. The Peterson Institute analysis of Kerry-Lieberman found that by 2030, monthly utility bills would range between a $0.67 decrease and a $2.62 increase.

The potential decrease in monthly electric bills is due to the energy efficiency programs established through the bill's provisions. Though energy prices are expected to increase modestly, energy consumption is expected to counteract these increases as households take advantage of these energy efficiency programs.

The Google.org study found that through electric car breakthroughs as a result of investment in green tech and carbon pricing, household energy bills (electric plus transportation fuel) would decrease 53% by 2050, by approximately $950 per year.

Impact on Household Costs
The analyses of Waxman-Markey concluded that the bill would cost the average American household between $84 and $160 per year by 2020, which corresponds to $0.67 to $1.28 per person per week. The majority of the increase comes through increased gasoline costs. The studies also concluded that the costs would be lower for lower income families. For example, the CBO analysis of Waxman-Markey concluded that families in the lowest income quintile would see a net decrease in average annual costs of about $125 in 2020 due to low-income assistance provisions (CBPP 2009).

Over the entire span of the Waxman-Markey bill (to 2050), EPA found the average annual cost would be $80 to $110 per household in current dollars (64 to 88 cents per person per week).

Cost-Benefit Analysis
Although most economic analyses of these policy proposals only estimated the costs, a study by the New York University School of Law's Institute for Policy Integrity (IPI) also evaluated the benefits of Waxman-Markey by using a range of possible values for the social cost of carbon (SCC). SCC is effectively an estimate of the direct effects of carbon emissions on the economy, and takes into consideration such factors as net agricultural productivity loss, human health effects, property damages from sea level rise, and changes in ecosystem services. It is a difficult number to estimate, but is key to any cost-benefit analysis of climate legislation. Figure 2 from the IPI study illustrates how the direct benefits of Waxman-Markey compare to the costs for two economic models (ADAGE and IGEM) in relation to SCC in Figure 1.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

TildeATH posted:

For those of you who are actually in the trenches, at what point did/do you just throw your hands up and accept that the tragedy of the commons is unavoidable?

Not actually in the trenches, but I think humanity will muddle through this just fine and continue to be its old, destructive self.

How much of humanity, and how many of the other species are coming along with us is another story entirely.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Here's an actual piece of good news - Apparantly China's coal peak is a real thing rather than a blip

They may be playing up just how good the news is, though, especially since all this means is that their emissions are starting to drop.

quote:

The economists argue in a new paper on Monday that this can now be seen as permanent trend, not a blip, due to major shifts in the Chinese economy and a crackdown on pollution.

“I think it is a real turning point,” said Lord Nicholas Stern, an eminent climate economist at the London School of Economics, who wrote the analysis with colleagues from Tsinghua University in Beijing. “I think historians really will see [the coal peak of] 2014 as a very important event in the history of the climate and economy of the world.”

The team’s analysis, published in the Nature Geoscience journal, concludes that China’s coal peak “may well be an important milestone in the Anthropocene and a turning point in international efforts to [cut] the emissions of climate-altering greenhouse gases”.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Geostomp posted:

So another four years of bravely ignoring the problem and demanding even more pollution and destruction for a quick buck. Hurray. :smith:

I hate this damned country.

Dehumamize yourself and face to trumpshed.

EDIT: I am actually having a mini panic attack over this in another thread now. What the gently caress are we gonna do?! WHAT THE gently caress ARE WE GONNA DO?! (Nothing, probably)

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 9, 2016

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Wakko posted:

There are a number of community projects that already exist for folks looking to make it through the Jackpot, they mostly go by Transition towns or Eco villages. I know some well educated folks who now spend their days laying foundation for rammed earth houses powered by solar and installing rainwater catchment systems. Hope you enjoy backbreaking work.

You know what? If nothing else, its exercise.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Tanreall posted:

Again I reject the idea that I should only concentrate on what's good for my own survival. In the words of Albert Camus "There are causes worth dying for, but none worth killing for."

Yeah, I'm with Tanreall. "FYGM" is sort of what got us into this mess to begin with.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

NewForumSoftware posted:

Where am I advocating for isolationism? I'm advocating that you can't change federal policy so you shouldn't care about it. Your argument seems to be "but you can't give up hope!"

Like I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here, what makes you think, even if the US elected a climate-change first president, that they could muster enough global coordination to reverse or slow down climate change in any meaningful way?

Are you being serious?

NewForumSoftware posted:

you realize that humans lived for tens of thousands of years without knowing what was happening 10 miles away, much less across the entire world

stop investing your own well being into those of people who you have no real connection with and start worrying about your neighbors because they are in real danger and when the world goes to hell those are going to be the people you need to rely on

NewForumSoftware posted:

I agree

Local green action is literally the only thing we can do so maybe it's what the thread should be about instead of pontificating about the implications of international policy that will never happen.

Put it this way, what if government can't save us, climate change is going to happen and what we call global civilization collapses in the next 10 years. Is there literally zero value in discussing what action you might take today to buffer yourself from such a scenario?

"gently caress everyone who isn't in my neck of the woods" is a longer way of saying isolationism. We have one planet, and Climate Change is not a local issue. It is a global issue. I personally believe that it can only be solved completely on a global level, and that solution involves humanity not emitting GHGs into the atmosphere. How we get there is what we have to decide. We either let our economies collapse to the point where we stop emitting and deal with the consequences of that, or we can have a controlled descent in emissions. Local solutions are part of the solution, yes, but in this case, the planet has to be our first priority.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Telephones posted:

So how soon is the first world hosed? Until we see food shortages and violence? 2025? 2030?

Canonically? 2060.

Guess I pull out of my rear end? ...2060 actually sounds kind of good, yeah.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

climate change is real i just dont believe its as dangerous as the alarmists say. Basically what we should do is try to empower and enrich third world nations so that if the poo poo really hits the fan and their surroundings become unlivable, they have the means to pack up and go somewhere cooler. I live in quebec and we have 2 carbon taxes (provincial and federal) even though every year since the beginning of times we emit a negative amount of co2 in the atmosphere. Were paying out the rear end to offset american and Chinese greenhouse gazes and all the funds are squandered/gifted to huge corporations. "Climate justice" is the biggest ponzi scheme of all time.

all that stuff is cool and good if its being done voluntarily and without subsidies. The problem arises when you force these policies onto the masses.

If your plan relies on entire national populations being able to "pack up and go somewhere cooler," you have no plan worth taking seriously.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Gamma Nerd posted:

*optimism and hope*

Quick, someone post something about how Gamma Nerd is wrong and we're all hosed, because I no longer feel like jumping off a bridge!

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

Don't take this the wrong way: it's going to be bad and being afraid is the correct response. All I'm saying is that industrialized civilization won't collapse and the world of 2050 will almost certainly be just a shittier version of 2016. Society won't fall apart because people are forced to migrate inland over a period of decades.

The question that springs to mind then is this one - "Are there ways to make things less lovely when we get to 2050 in this situation?" To me that answer depends solely on "are negative emissions possible?" because if they are, then I guess we can technically make things less lovely (even if it is unlikely). If they are not, then our only option as a species is to wait it out and try not to break anything else.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

vegetables posted:

Could you geoengineer global cooling with nuclear bombs? I realise this is an incredibly stupid question, but kind of want to know the answer anyway.

Yes, but compared to nuclear bombs, even sulphates would be better, because at least those aren't goddamn radioactive.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

:siren: :derp: :siren:

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Nice piece of fish posted:

The only thing positive about Trump is that he only gets to do damage for 8 years max, and after that people will hopefully be angry enough (and the progressives have gotten their poo poo together enough) that dems flood congress and get POTUS. Then we assassinate retire some SCOTUS judges and hey presto, hope.

And ideally we would all have coffee and donuts.

Death is certain.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

I think I agree.

"Tear up" is disingenuous. Yes, Kyoto / Paris targets stand to be overshot by many nations. Others stand to undershoot, others are on track, others are going to barely overshoot.

above shamelessly ripped from wikipedia

I don't think anyone walked into this expecting 100% compliance. That would have been a moment of of naiveté, and so too is throwing out all incremental progress on the basis of "well, some of these gently caress-o countries missed it, throw it all out :suicide:" International agreements on climate change have still garnered necessity for improved emissions regulations within even the countries that presently stand to overshoot goals.

Using percentages seems disingenuous here. Like, this graph leads a casual observer to believe that Australia and Estonia would cancel each other out when that's... not how things work. You got a graph of absolutes?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

The bears are attacking!

It's okay. We've got our "best" people working on saving us.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

How about a massive natural example of sulfate emissions? Would data like that help our models?

quote:

Researchers say the volcano is moving towards a threshold beyond which rising magma could spark the release of fluids and gases at 10 times the normal rate.

This surge would cause an injection of extremely hot steam into surrounding rocks, Giovanni Chiodini, lead author of the study, told AFP.

This could ultimately trigger a “very dangerous” eruption for the three million people living in the area.

Since 2005, the Campi Flegrei has been undergoing “uplift”, which is the accumulation of magma under the surface of a volcano.

"These areas can give rise to the only eruptions that can have global catastrophic effects comparable to major meteorite impacts," said Giuseppe De Natale, head of a project to monitor the volcano's activity.

A supervolcano is any volcano capable of an eruption that ejects a volume of material greater than 1,000km3, which is thousands of times larger than normal eruptions.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Even better news for the GBR

quote:

While severe bleaching events have occurred three other times in the past 20 years — in 1998, 2002 and 2016 — this year marks the first time it's known to have happened two years in a row. Scientists say the damage is caused by higher water temperatures due to global warming.

"It takes at least a decade for a full recovery of even the fastest growing corals, so mass bleaching events 12 months apart offers zero prospect of recovery for reefs that were damaged in 2016," said James Kerry, a senior research officer at the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, in Queensland, Australia.

It was "shocking" to see the extent of the damage in a different section of the reef, Kerry added.

The damage last year was worst in the northern third of the massive reef. This year, it's most severe in the middle third of the reef. As Kerry explained, those areas of damage overlap somewhat so "some of the reefs now, in the central and northern section, have had a double dose of severe bleaching for two years in a row."

You can see how the impacted region has shifted in this map, released by the ARC Centre...

...A recently published study in Nature stated that local measures can ultimately do little to protect the reefs from bleaching. Securing a future for coral reefs "ultimately requires urgent and rapid action to reduce global warming."

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Accretionist posted:

It's an amusing wrinkle in any sequestration-based hopes and dreams.

We'd need to approach it like we do nuclear weapons technology.

You mean build as many as possible regardless of expense in the fears that some other country is also doing it? Yes, I agree.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Climate Change: What is to be Done?

The old climate change thread long ago descended into people either succumbing to despair, or rehashing them same old arguments over and over. This thread (and first post) is an attempt to cover the basics of the old thread, and then point the new discussion more towards solutions and action. For that reason, especially if your post is “how do I argue with this dumbass?” or “oh god we’re all screwed gently caress gently caress gently caress”, please actually read the relevant sections in this big ‘ol dumb OP I’ve made before posting. That said, I know I’ve typed far too many words to expect anyone to actually read any of this, but here they are anyways:

*Cut post that is far too many words to expect anyone to read*

History repeats itself in more ways than one, it seems.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah. Believe it or not, using nuclear weapons remains a bad idea for all sorts of reasons (unless we're pushing massive spaceships)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Dunno if this has been mentioned yet, but Cape Town, South Africa is on the verge of running out of water

It will be interesting to see what happens. And by interesting I mean terrifying/depressing.