Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The fact that the majority of eco-warriors consider nukes a non-starter and yet are trying to advocate for green energy is just so, so depressing.

I'm at work and going over a Friends of the Earth report on transforming energy systems and they lump nuclear in the same category as loving coal fired power plants, it's absurd. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

blowfish posted:

The issue is that a lot of environmentalists don't operate under a framework of seeking pragmatic solutions to environmental problems no matter what the solution looks like. Historically, environmentalism has often involved fighting the ~system~ or picketing corporations and economic development has obviously caused quite some damage to ecosystems so just developing in a different direction or throwing energy at problems to make them go away is quite a radical way to go about things. In addition, you get a lot of people who generally want a more ~connected~ society (everyone should grow their own food or at least know their farmer and produce electricity locallly, so decentralisation is a goal in and of itself), have an issue with the concept of a corporation itself and/or need a clear villain (Monsanto is a special kind of evil, not just a generic uncaring business), have an idealised view of nature and ~natural~ things vs. technology, and what have you. Centralised big nuclear power stations powering dense cities and factory farms are thus anathema, even if some ivory tower scientists paid shills say they're sustainable.

The people worth targeting most are those who just adopted these positions by cultural osmosis and are sufficiently lukewarm about them to be convinced to follow different approaches.

Yeah I understand why they are the way they are (growing up in the 60s-80s didn't help either with the specter of MAD looming over your head) but holy poo poo is it frustrating. I find I have to bite my tongue often because I enjoy my job and the envrio-community does do good work and relentlessly advocates for social and environmental justice.

Nukes and GMOs, like you mentioned, are just terribly frustrating to me.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

blowfish posted:

And that won't get better - rainforests become more vulnerable after initial disturbance because they need quite a while to rebuild the dense vegetation that maintains high humidity and thereby lowers fire risk, so regrowth forests (and newly-exposed forest edges) will be more easily burned.

Also Indonesian rainforests grow on a very thick layer of peat that stores a poo poo-load more carbon than the trees themselves. It is the reason that Indonesia is such an incredible GHG emitter.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Geoengineering truly horrifies me and God loving help us if we ever start.

Thankfully I'll be dead before the effects of a fuckup get bad. Jesus Christ what a terrible idea.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Placid Marmot posted:

You are very clearly not a member of the green movement and, given your posts in this thread, you clearly know next to nothing about climate change. I have nothing more to add; your posts just annoy me greatly.

Moar trees! Moar!!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It is by no means perfect, but it looks like a good start.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

I doubt you helped that poor autistic nerd. Good post though.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/mar/30/sea-levels-set-to-rise-far-more-rapidly-than-expected

quote:

Sea levels could rise far more rapidly than expected in coming decades, according to new research that reveals Antarctica’s vast ice cap is less stable than previously thought.

The UN’s climate science body had predicted up to a metre of sea level rise this century - but it did not anticipate any significant contribution from Antarctica, where increasing snowfall was expected to keep the ice sheet in balance.

According a study, published in the journal Nature, collapsing Antarctic ice sheets are expected to double sea-level rise to two metres by 2100, if carbon emissions are not cut.

Previously, only the passive melting of Antarctic ice by warmer air and seawater was considered but the new work added active processes, such as the disintegration of huge ice cliffs.

“This [doubling] could spell disaster for many low-lying cities,” said Prof Robert DeConto, at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, who led the work. He said that if global warming was not halted, the rate of sea-level rise would change from millimetres per year to centimetres a year. “At that point it becomes about retreat [from cities], not engineering of defences.”

As well as rising seas, climate change is also causing storms to become fiercer, forming a highly destructive combination for low-lying cities like New York, Mumbai and Guangzhou. Many coastal cities are growing fast as populations rise and analysis by World Bank and OECD staff has shown that global flood damage could cost them $1tn a year by 2050 unless action is taken.

The cities most at risk in richer nations include Miami, Boston and Nagoya, while cities in China, Vietnam, Bangladesh and Ivory Coast are among those most in danger in less wealthy countries.

The new research follows other recent studies warning of the possibility of ice sheet collapse in Antarctica and suggesting huge sea-level rises. But the new work suggests that major rises are possible within the lifetimes of today’s children, not over centuries.

hosed, we're all hosed. Don't have children.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
What the gently caress do nuclear weapons have to do with the possibility of 6 feet of sea level rise by the end of this dang century??

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Overflight posted:

My first niece was born today.

...how the hell am I supposed to react to this?

Probably best not to think about it too much or you will get very depressed.

I've been on the fence about having children for a while now and wasn't planning on having any for 5 or 6 years anyway, but if the science that papers such as the above purport turn out to be true then I just don't think I'll ever be able to justify doing it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The occasional good news:

quote:

US and China lead push to bring Paris climate deal into force early

The US and China are leading a push to bring the Paris climate accord into force much faster than even the most optimistic projections – aided by a typographical glitch in the text of the agreement.

More than 150 governments, including 40 heads of state, are expected at a symbolic signing ceremony for the agreement at the United Nations on 22 April, which is Earth Day.

It’s the largest one-day signing of any international agreement, according to the UN.

But leaders will really be looking to see which countries go beyond mere ceremony and legally join the agreement, which would bind them to the promises made in Paris last December to keep warming below the agreed target of 2C.

So far, the US, China, Canada and a host of other countries have promised to join this year - boosting the hopes of bringing the Paris deal into force before the initial target date of 2020 – possibly as early as 2016 or 2017, according to officials and analysts.

That is well before the timeline originally envisaged at Paris. Environment ministers attending the World Bank spring meetings this week said the faster pace indicated serious commitment to dealing with the global challenge.

The accelerated timeline would have one obvious advantage for Barack Obama. The standard withdrawal clause on any such agreement would force a future Republican president to wait four years before quitting Paris, according to legal experts.

An earlier start date could also turbo-charge the agreement, providing momentum for deeper emissions cuts.

It could also help efforts to attain the more ambitious goal of limiting warming to 1.5C – which would give a better chance of survival to small islands and other countries on the frontlines of climate change.

Christiana Figueres, who heads the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, has said global emissions need to peak by 2020 to have any chance of limiting warming to 1.5C. There has already been about 1C warming above pre-industrial levels.

“Early entry into force – we are very committed to making that happen,” Catherine McKenna, Canada’s environment and climate change minister, told a panel at the World Bank last week. “We can’t just now rest on our laurels and have a nice signing on Earth Day, and then we all go home.”

She told The Guardian Canada was committed to signing the agreement this year.

The push to bring the climate agreement into force quickly is in sharp contrast to the earlier international efforts to fight climate change through the Kyoto Protocol, which did not take effect for four years.

Eliza Northrop, an analyst at the World Resources Institute, said there was growing momentum behind an early approval of the agreement.

“It’s likely it could come into effect in 2017. It could even happen this year,” she said.

Governments at the Paris climate meeting had initially set the start date of the agreement in 2020 – with intense discussion over whether that start date should be at the start or end of the year, according to diplomats.

The 2020 date remained in the negotiating drafts almost until the very end, the diplomats said. But unaccountably the final draft prepared by France left out the entire clause. By that point, after a few late-night negotiating sessions, a number of countries did not notice the omission.

The agreement, the first time all countries agreed to emissions cuts and other actions to fight climate change, aims to limit warming to below 2C and move towards a zero-carbon economy by the end of the century.

But it’s a tall order. The agreement needs to be approved by 55 countries accounting for at least 55% of global greenhouse gas emissions to come into force.

The US and China committed to join the agreement this year – but that still leaves a gap of more than 15% of global emissions.

A number of countries, including India and Japan, require their parliaments to approve the Paris agreement – a process which could take time.

The European Union will need agreement from its 28 member states before it can join the agreement – which makes it highly unlikely to be in a position to join early on.

“The assumption is that you have to do this without the EU to get to that 55% hurdle, if you want to see that in the next year or so,” said Alden Meyer, strategy director for the Union of Concerned Scientists.

That will force governments to cobble together a coalition of smaller countries if they hope to reach the 55% emissions threshold.

Possible contenders include India, Mexico, the Philippines and Australia.

So far, about 10 countries have said they would join the agreement this year.

On Wednesday, Román Macaya, Costa Rica’s ambassador to Washington, said his country would join the agreement in 2016. Palau, Switzerland, Fiji and the Marshall Islands have also said they will approve the agreement this year.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/apr/18/us-and-china-lead-push-to-bring-paris-climate-deal-into-force-early

How are u fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 18, 2016

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I was really hoping to get the chance to dive the Great Barrier Reef some day.

Welp.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Placid Marmot posted:

No, this is incorrect. If individuals opt not to fly or to eat meat or whatever, then demand is reduced and the service or product will be less profitable; YOUR single influence, as one person, is negligible, but the behavior of a population that is made of individuals does influence outcomes. If you hadn't noticed, all of the individuals in the world make up such a population, so the decisions of individuals in the world do have a cumulative effect on outcomes.
If everyone were to listen to your advice that "you can't make a difference by not X", then we would see an even worse level of excessive consumption than we already have. By saying that an individual can have no effect, you are pushing responsibility for that individual's polluting onto other people.
Not flying (for example) will not reduce the level of CO2 and other pollutants in the atmosphere, but it will prevent the release of pollutants that the average Westerner would produce in your place. It is certainly hypocritical to bemoan the effects of CO2 while being in the top few percent of the world's producers of CO2 because of your decisions.

Go gently caress yourself, I'm not going to stop travelling because you want me to live in a tent and eat only veggies I grow in my garden. I'm not having a child, which basically offsets every single other thing I do in my life that contributes to carbon emissions. I also work in climate advocacy, putting pressure on states and the fed to improve every measure to combat increased climate change. I'm in the clear, gently caress you.

e: jesus I went back and ready all of your subsequent replies and you sound like a quite the insufferable little poo poo.

How are u fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 22, 2016

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Placid Marmot posted:

You work in climate advocacy yet you still fly around the world and think that not having a child offsets your own emissions* - yeah, that's hypocrisy and ignorance all smashed together. You must feel dizzy from the cognitive dissonance.

*So we don't need to have this argument again, the decision to have a child results in a massive increase in the emissions that you are responsible for, while the decision to not have a child is carbon neutral.

Jesus Christ. What, do you like live in a yurt in Portland and never travel further than you can ride your bicycle or something? Get off your high horse you sanctimonious twat. You are part of the reason people have lovely stereotypes about the climate movement and people who are concerned about climate change.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I can't wait for this to become reality in 20-25 years!

quote:

http://gizmodo.com/extreme-heat-will-make-parts-of-the-middle-east-and-afr-1774311994

Extreme Heat Will Make Parts of the Middle East and Africa Uninhabitable by 2050

New research shows that temperatures are set to skyrocket in parts of the Middle East and Africa, making human habitation next to impossible. In a region that’s home to 500 million people, that could trigger a climate-exodus of epic proportions.

These new climate projections, compiled by researchers from the Max Planck Institute, tell an incredibly scary story—like, apocalyptic Mad Max scary. According to Johannes Lelieveld and colleagues, even if Earth’s average temperature were to increase by two degrees Celsius compared to pre-industrial times, the summer temperature in these regions would still increase more than twofold by the midpoint of the century. Combined with prolonged heat waves, decades-long megadroughts, and windblown desert dust, these environmental conditions would be intolerable for humans, forcing many to migrate.

By 2050, summer temperatures in parts of the Middle East and North Africa would stay above 86ºF (30ºC) at night. During the day, temperatures during the hot seasons are predicted to rise to 114ºF (46ºC). By the end of the century, midday temperatures would reach 122ºF (50ºC). By comparison, the average maximum summer temperature in Eastern California’s Death Valley is 115ºF (46ºC).

Heat waves will likely occur ten times more frequently than they do now, and they’ll last much longer. Prior to 2005, there were about 16 excruciatingly hot days per year on average. According to the new models, it will be unusually hot for about 80 days per year—a figure that will jump to 118 days by the end of the century.

And if all this wasn’t bad enough, the researchers also found that desert dust in the atmosphere is increasing over Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Syria. They’re attributing this to an increase of sand storms as a result of protracted droughts. Climate change will exacerbate this even further.

Needless to say, this will have a dramatic effect on people who live in these areas.

“Climate change will significantly worsen the living conditions in the Middle East and in North Africa,” noted Lelieveld in a statement. “Prolonged heat waves and desert dust storms can render some regions uninhabitable, which will surely contribute to the pressure to migrate.”

For the study, the researchers based their calculations on two scenarios, one in which global emissions of greenhouse gases start decreasing by 2040 (i.e. we succeed at meeting the climate target set at the recent UN Climate Summit in Paris), the other based on the assumption that greenhouse gases will continue to increase unabated (usually referred to as the “business-as-usual scenario.”). In the latter scenario, the mean surface temperature of our planet will increase by more than 4ºC compared to pre-industrial times.

Unfortunately, both scenarios yielded dramatic temperature rises in these desert regions, particularly during the summer months when it’s already very hot. Parched desert surfaces cannot cool by the evaporation of groundwater, and since the balance of surface energy is controlled by heat radiation, this makes the greenhouse gas effect even worse.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Copenhagen 2009 and the complete fart that was its resolution was probably about the point where I realized that civilization as we know it is going to be hosed and there's nothing we can do to stop it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The Earth will be perfectly habitable, just by a lot fewer people and at a much, much lower standard of living.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Nocturtle posted:

In this regard it's fortunate that Miami is built on top of the geological equivalent of swiss cheese. It's imminent flooding might provide the shock needed to overcome political resistance to addressing climate change. Unlike the flooding of New Orleans it can't be blamed on a single levee breaking.

Also there are a lot fewer poor Black folks living in Miami, and there are a lot more stupidly rich people living there and driving a hilarious real estate bubble.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

BattleMoose posted:

Yeah, how about no. For the past 10 years or so I have been that annoying little poo poo trying to educate people on climate change. I have faith in the great ocean that separates my country from the others. When it comes to it, Ill be looking out for me and my own.

Thanks for letting us know, rear end in a top hat.
:waycool:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Conspiratiorist posted:

Sounds like typical non-scientific goon connect-the-dots.

I admire your optimism, but human civilization has a pretty poor track record w/r/t reacting to massive, sudden shifts in the prevailing order. If we make it through the next 100 years with merely WWII-esque numbers of deaths due to Climate Change we'll be insanely lucky.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ChairMaster posted:

That's happened like 3 times before, in a few million years it'll be back to normal.

Whenever things seem too dark to carry on I try to think of this, and it really helps. As bad as it will get, we'll never be able to gently caress the planet worse than a meteor the size of Manhattan.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm ready to start drinking my own piss. Embrace death.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

call to action posted:

You can rip open an abdomen to get to the heart, ask me how I know (former EMT in SD, CA). If you've got any more medical questions maybe keep them out of the thread tho

You are weirdly defensive about your extremely selfish and irrational choice. You're a selfish rear end in a top hat, own it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm just looking forward to saying "I told you so" until I expire of climate death.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Going against milk products is a direct attack on populations along genetic lines, and completely unacceptable.

:lol: what??

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
If whites can't eat cheese then the inscrutable Oriental may take over the world!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Climate Change is going to end civilization as we know it no matter what. gently caress if I'm going to give up delicious meat in a futile attempt to stop the inevitable.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
If y'all are ever feeling deeply, darkly depressed about this stuff then just remember that in 10 million years (a tiny blip in Earth's geologic history) humanity will be extinct and the planet will once again be thriving with multitudes of life. Everything has a time to go, but the Earth itself and Life on it will continue A-OK.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I just want to live to see Miami, New Orleans, Las Vegas, and Phoenix turn into abandoned ghost towns. Gonna be doing a lot of "I told you so"-ing.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I've always figured that Alaska will come out in a pretty OK spot. Yeah, things are going to get really hosed up really quick with the accelerated rate of change in the Arctic, but once that shakes out it should be in pretty nice climate zone, no?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It’s an unsettling mix of willfully blind optimism and condescension.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Dang, y’all are coming out of the woodwork today.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
:words:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Good, it can't come soon enough!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
On the bright side, as our ecosystems collapse many climate refugees will starve to death, so the problem partially fixes itself!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
We deserve everything coming to us.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
We're just playing our part in proving that Climate Change is an integral component of The Great Filter.

Maybe the next civilization will get it right in a couple of tens of millions of years.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Climate Change: i love to have sex with frogs

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It's kind of neat to be living in the "decadent, declining empire" phase of history if you think about it :waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Burt Buckle posted:

Sometimes I get this feeling that you guys enjoy seeing articles that suggest things are worse than previously thought.

There's some small satisfaction in being right, and to the absurdity that's put us into this situation. Also, humans have always been drawn to apocalyptic poo poo.