Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
If I trap every person posting in this thread and bury all of us in an eco-friendly bunker miles below the earth's surface, does that count as carbon capture? What if I put a few hungry wolves in with us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Banana Man posted:

What if the wolves have babies

That'd be irresponsible. :colbert:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

this broken hill posted:

any day now i will give birth to our saviour

Oh for god's sake... think about the saviour's potential carbon footprint, you environmental traitor.

Adopt one instead.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

this broken hill posted:

did i say it would be human? did i say that?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm in the toothpaste pessimist category because I don't see any means by which we say:

"Hey there, developing nations! You know all those nice things we westerners have been enjoying for two hundred years off the backs of your slave labor? Well, ends up you can't have any of them. We had too much fun and you're just going to have to suck it up and skip the fun parts or we'll all die. Wait, why are you still industrializing? No, stop! Aren't you listening?!?"

India has a larger population than the EU + USA combined. You could throw every last one of us westerners into an eco-friendly wolf-bunker and their footprint growth will still put the planet below water sooner or later. We have no moral standing to push the point on anyone in the developing world. The toothpaste isn't going back in the tube at this point. Sure, keep trying to reduce your own footprint or your nation's footprint, etc. But in the longer term, the rest of the world is going to develop and want to experience the luxuries we've been hoarding for literally hundreds of years, depending on what particular luxuries you're lumping into it. They're not going to take no for an answer, long-term, and we have no right to demand it given this is mostly our fault in the first place.

Edit: ooh, great way to welcome a new page.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Grouchio posted:

This thread is still garbage.

Coincidentally, there are actually lots and lots of computers in Africa's landfills because that's where we send much of our electronics garbage from the USA. :suicide:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/12/inside-a-massive-electronics-graveyard/383922/

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
The only moral extinction is my extinction.

quote:

Also 1) Why New Zealand and 2) Won't it just overpopulate/overcrowd?

Everyone keeps reading articles about rich people buying properties in NZ and extrapolating that this means they should go to NZ also. Re #2: the trick is to get in early and then pull up the ladder behind you, so that you're safe when the borders close. Bring your butler, too, because otherwise you might have to set your own table from time to time.

quote:

So if homo sapiens go extinct in the next couple of centuries, the biosphere slowly heals and another intelligent life form arises in a few million years, will they be hosed and unable to advance technologically because we've used up most of the resources rolling around in our vomit?

Nah, because they'll be winged dolphin-stoats and explore the deep instead of using rockets. My magic eight ball says so.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 8, 2018

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'll have you know that I liked/shared this thread on Fark, Digg and Odnoklassniki, so I've done my part against Climate Change. :colbert:

quote:

IMO anyone here advocating violence should be treated as the blackwater/COINTELPRO thugs they are.

How's the view from up on that there high road, chumpy?

I think that if someone wants to advocate for violence, they should go all the way and target the children and grandchildren of the rich, not the rich themselves. Go big or go home. Make the estate tax really live up to that "Death Tax" moniker. If you want to discuss this idea further, you can write to me at this cell address at Guantanamo...

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I eat complex carbohydrates in bulk and never use the toilet so that I'm a walking carbon sequestration system. When I die, SpaceX will shoot my body into orbit using a green-fuel rocket, where I will block out the sun for decades to come.

Be the change you want to see.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

sitchensis posted:

It would be a great solution if old people weren't hell bent on taking us all to the grave with then.

https://twitter.com/coinjar12/status/1048380629199417349

Look at all them lovely old people. Their carbon will be the first to be sequestered.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I roll the coal up the hill. Sweat beads on my brow, trickling down, both watering and salting the barren earth at my feet. Only a little higher. I'm almost there. The coal reaches the top and I rest, happy, proud of my accomplishment. I've rolled coal with the best; I've reached the pinnacle. Then it happens, again. Just like yesterday. Just like the day before that, the week before that, the months, years, even millennia that passed as slowly as the stones making homes of my kidneys.

The coal boulder--the coalder--begins to shift. The sand gives way, and the coalder picks up speed. Down the hill it tumbles, all the way to the bottom again, dragging me behind it by the chains of consumption shackled to my wrists. Bloodied, beaten, exhausted; I am defeated once more. The gods laugh from atop their nuclear cloud and send crows on the ever-renewing wind to claw at my eyes. My face is wet, but whether from blood or eco-friendly tears I no longer know. I start again at the bottom, forever rolling the coal to the heights, rolling it toward the light, showing the world that coal has its place in the sun. My tears rinse the coal clean, polishing it to a beautiful, gleaming finish that pollutes neither eye nor air.

This time, the coalder will make it. This time, they'll finally let me die.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
DEMENTED WORDS OF VIOLENCE & DEATH > Climate Change: Post up your Phd. dissertation, coward.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Epitope posted:

Does this subject make people depressed? Or does it just attract the sad sacks and give them a real world justification for the feelings they have (and would have regardless)

This thread ran out of material three hundred pages ago, and any sane poster not actively trolling the thread is long gone. What you have left are the sad sacks who feel most comfortable when in misery and the people egging them on.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/pet-food-meat-climate-change

(Don't you loving dare feed your cat a vegetarian diet, FYI. I just thought the existence of the article was funny.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

StabbinHobo posted:

i want like a form of scrubs that doubles as an eco-communist uniform

My mother's favorite thing about working in pediatric is that she wears scrubs all damned day long and gives no shits about how she looks. Apart from the screaming children, it sounds like a blessed life.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Eddy-Baby posted:

just lol if you think you can stop me burning your books to stay warm

Hey now, this is the climate change thread. You think anyone here has actually read a book?

(Okay that one was a cheap shot.)

Rime posted:

I'm not saying we're likely to go extinct as a species, but the chances of us ever recovering to punch higher than Roman level development in the event that civilization completely falls apart is unlikely, and even that seems optimistic given the staggering scale of non-renewable resource depletion and widespread pollution which we've engaged in over the past 75 years.

Get help.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Mozi posted:

You should direct that towards the human species in general rather than at those perceptive enough to see the problem.

2 + 2 = we're hosed. People deal with that in all sorts of ways but, I mean, we're hosed.

This thread is almost three loving years old. THREE YEARS of the same core group of depressed headcases moaning into a bucket about something it's impossible for them to change, while intermittently posting links to more doomsday material so they can get their fix and keep the grief party going.

Sure, people deal with things in all sorts of ways. This thread is a pretty damned unhealthy way of coping.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

incredible flesh posted:

let us all hold hands and walk into the ocean

No, we should all walk into the ocean on our own. Proof that individual action can make a difference.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

sitchensis posted:

It's cool and normal to have entire towns destroyed by wildfires in northern California during mid November.

Serves them right for all those almonds.

(I can say that because some of my best friends are burned-down towns in northern California.)

quote:

I wonder how much CO2 those fires are releasing compared to the annual CO2 released by humans.

Five.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

How are u posted:

What must it feel like to be a teen or in your early 20s right now? I imagine it must be infuriating, just incredibly maddening to watch your future burning up into ash.

I'm in my early 30s and I just feel tired. I'm sad about it but the world sucks enough and I've seen it poo poo on people enough that I can't find it in myself to get truly, passionately furious. Just waiting for the end to come.

But if I were young again I imagine I'd feel entirely different.

Just listen to "We Didn't Start The Fire" and accept that every early-twenties group grew up with something horrifying they thought would end the world.

Except our kids will actually be right. :haw:

quote:

Early 30's isn't old, what the gently caress.

This too, by the way. Go lift a weight or two and you'll be in the prime of your fash-smashin' years! :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
What if we do a Stephen King-style Long Walk in each country for the right to an unlimited carbon footprint, kill off everyone until there's only one contestant left, and then kill him too?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

I mean gently caress, I can't avoid climate news no matter what I do. RockPaperShotgun, Polygon, Av Club, Gizmodo, Waypoint, ALL of them can't go for a week without some thinkpiece related to our political and climate Doom. If even hobby sites are infected by doomsaying, the gently caress am I supposed to do? Stare at a wall all day?

Go outside. Pick up garbage on the highway. Have a beer with people who aren't made entirely of internet text. Watch Bob Ross videos and learn to paint happy trees. Do literally anything other than what you're doing right now.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
How dense of a shoo-fly pie do I have to make for it to count as a form of carbon sequestration? Those things basically never decay, so I could bury a bunch of them in a junkyard and put down a ton of carbon if my shoo-fly filling collection process (S-FFCP) is efficient enough.

So yeah, no matter how I look at this, ends up the Lancaster Amish have the keys to our past, present and future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

i don't expect i'm the first person to bring this up in 400 pages, but there's a difference between the vague relationship with personal mortality men have contended with since the dawn times, and the weird existential despair that sets in with imagining the end of humanity/civilization after your death. samuel scheffler has written about this, calling it "collective afterlife dependency". there's something very different between "i am not the master of my fate" and "nothing i build, create, or accomplish matters, because everyone dies with me, and the wind will howl across our bones on the planet we converted to a lifeless tomb".

Yes, in that one of those is something a sane person thinks and the other is blithering nonsense that acts as nothing but an excuse to not do anything.

Edit: Added the quote since someone slipped in between. :v: