Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

Anyone know how long you have after separating to move on the govt.'s dime? I'm planning on moving to San Diego, just got to sell my house and poo poo. Lots of stuff.

It also makes a difference if you're separating or retiring, but that all gets explained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

Question. So I have two disqualifying conditions for the military for the medboard. In order to get an idea on my percentages, do they count both percentages before doing the weird hosed up math? Or do they count one leg then go to the other in the "healthy body" status like my 2 status conditions fit (PTSD and other stuff)?

First percentage against 100%, second against what's left.

eta: rounded to the nearest ten.

I have a 30%, 20%, and 10% for 50%

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 9, 2016

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
This is probably a question for Vasudus, but I'm thinking about doing the VA work study, does anyone have any experience with it? Are there any benefits to it rather than just a work study through the school I'm going to?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Zero VGS posted:

They said I'd do an audiogram or something there, and that my psych eval would be conducted over Skype, which sounds a bit ghetto. Is there anything I should know going in? Naturally I'd just like as much benefits as I can get without looking like I want as much benefits as I can get.

The "Skype" call is just a video chat with a psychiatrist/psychologist and other than the fact that you're in completely different places it is essentially just like any session you'd have discussing the relevant issues. If you treat it like that it should go fine. Answer the questions honestly but don't expect treatment, whoever you talk to is just trying to confirm/deny whether you have a valid claim.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
It's been more than a month since I've heard anything from the counselor I was assigned for Voc Rehab. The last thing I heard was when I did the aptitude testing, which I was told I did quite well on. Should I get in touch with the guy or should I assume it's just the VA slowly doing paperwork and wait it out for another week or two?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

How does the $1,000 book&supply stipend work? 3 times a year? Every time you get new classes?

$1000 split up over however many quarters or semesters you take. So it's maybe one or two books at full price. Enjoy!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Genocide Tendency posted:

Unless something changed and I didn't hear about it..

It's not a straight addition.

They start with the single highest percent, 50, then each rating is taken from the remaining percent. So it's 20% of 50, and then 20% of 30, ect...

Once you get that number it's rounded to the nearest 10.

Just want to let you know that 20% of 50 is 10, so it should be 50% leftover, then 40%, 32%, ~29%, then ~26% leftover at the end. Should be getting ~74% disability. Using the table at

http://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/rates-index.asp#combined

I went to the intersection of 71 and 10 to get a rating of 74, which will round to 70%

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Hello, I am an undergrad currently "planning" my future and looking for options to pay for ivy league graduate school. If I understand correctly (and I feel like I'm misunderstanding this), a Yellow Ribbon scholarship will pretty much completely pay your tuition, assuming the school accepts the program and you are "100%". A couple of questions:

1. How many years of military service is required to retire honorably and be eligible for the ribbon?
2. Are there certain branches of the military, or types of jobs (intelligence, machinery, etc.) that would be more likely to receive this type of scholarship? (To my limited understanding you can apply for most military positions assuming you score well on the ASFAB.)

Thank you.

You're misunderstanding. Yellow Ribbon is on top of the Post-9/11 GI Bill. If you qualify for that you can apply for YRP. Three years of active duty service gets you 100% GI Bill.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

I recommend you talk to your school's ROTC admissions officer.

Don't listen to this man. Go to your nearest recruiter and ask for whatever ships the quickest.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Unholy ghost my man you need to read through McNally's post history and decide if you really want to have similar interesting experiences

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

Not really sure what my point was anymore.

poo poo is hosed. People are awful. The military is the worst.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mike-o posted:

when you come back here in a while after you've been in for a bit and you're like "you were right guys" i'm just gonna tell you to go gently caress yourself and suck my dick from the back

This as well as telling you you've gotten exactly what you deserve

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Used to be a strip mall next to Target but now it's a standalone building next to a Walgreen's.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Outside of veterans choice and emergency care I've found that the therapists at vet centers are pretty good

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Delizin posted:

I'm trying to get approved for Voc Rehab and I've already got a very solid plan on exactly what I want to do and how I'll achieve it. I hear it is a lot easier and faster to get a plan approved when you come in prepared. I've been reading through M28R, the Voc Rehab and Employment Service Manual, but I haven't found the section on what exactly they need for plan. Does anyone happen to have a plan, with details removed, that I can use as a template?

You'll put the actual plan together with your counselor as part of the process

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Delizin posted:

I'm a bit worried because of the extent of my injuries and that my plan involves working with firearms which the VA has special rules regarding. Back in January I applied for a very competitive and well regarded and accredited gunsmithing associate degree program and I've made it through all the selection rounds so far with the final decision on if I'll make it in coming at the end of the month.

I've put together my list of goals, rehab timeline, gainful employment disclosure for the program, itemized cost list for the program and tools, and the steps that I will be taking to mitigate the effect of disabilities. It looks like I can keep the expense below the $25k/year limit and I am fine buying my own firearms if that keeps me from having to jump through all the extra hoops.

Anything else you guys would recommend bringing to that first meeting?

A smile and winning attitude? It sounds like you've got pretty much everything you need, now you just get to deal with the VA

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Delizin posted:

VR as in Voc Rehab? My understanding is that while Voc Rehab is Chapter 31, if you get BAH with it that is covered by the Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill. Thanks a to court ruling a few years ago it no longer consumes your GI Bill if you are using Voc Rehab and getting BAH now.

Uhhh pretty sure your understanding is flawed, because when I started Voc Rehab combined with Post-9/11 BAH a few months back I was told that it would be depleting my Chapter 33 benefits.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

:perfect:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Terps go through a lot of poo poo and our country basically shits all over them. Getting them help is always a good thing. You're doing great work helping one out.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The main perk to ROTC is you get to have a mostly normal college experience.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
And a scan of the original in case the cloud remains post-Trump

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
It's one of the bonuses you get at certain disability levels. Try for the high score next time.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
My guy voc rehab is the poo poo

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

Your BAH is determined off your school’s zip. Not where you live.

Yes, but you get a different rate if you aren't a full-time student, and online-only counts as half-time for the rate

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Apply for Voc Rehab now.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Lol let me continue to break my body because I might not get to fly anymore

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
It pays out the first of the month following the month attended, unless the first falls on a weekend, then it pays on the Friday before the first.

Edit for clarification: payments for June should have paid out on the 29th.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Cyks posted:

So I'm trying to get documents from VA.gov and it says incomplete information contained in our system call 1-800-827-1000 and option 7 with a reference code.

That number and option connects to the suicide prevention hotline...

:laffo: if true

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

Is anyone else getting shorted on their GI Bill BAH? The 2018 BAH rate for my school (and what the GI Bill Calculator says I should be getting) is $58 more than what I'm getting.

Has the rate changed for the academic year yet? I know that BAH changes in January-ish but that doesn't go through for the GI Bill until September or so

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

That's bullshit. I'd fight it on general loving principle.

It's worked out so well for you this far

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Howard Phillips posted:

1. When does the VA send an updated COE for GI Bill? I want to know how many more months of benefits I have remaining.

The ebenefits/vets.gov page will tell you how many months and days of GI Bill you have left.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Congrats on the switch, 80% buddy

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Have you looked into the Washington Apple Health? There was a special enrollment period because of covid and you should qualify

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Talk to someone, make sure it gets checked

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

berzerkmonkey posted:

it's weird how when this stuff becomes a constant how you learn to live with it.

Yes it is

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

PageMaster posted:

The extra percents are only percents of the remaining amount to 100, if that makes sense. So if you were already at 70, any new percentages are only applied to the remaining 30 percent possible; basically your 10 percent rating gets you an extra 3 percent total (10 percent of 30 percent), so your new total would have been 73 percent (which is rounded).

It's this

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
VA care is incredibly different for person to person but even with all of the problems I've had with them I'd still tell people that are eligible to use their VA care when other options aren't available

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Booger Presley posted:

Hello,

There are date ceilings which apply a hard stop to VRE and Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.

Please do your needful! I think the VRE eligibility date is +12 and the P911 is +15 hard stop.

I am more confident on the P911 because I hit the threshold and funbux stopped.

There is a clause, that if you separated > 2013 or something, your eds are lifetime.

Holmes, talk to a VA knowing person and do NOT forfeit what you have earned.

That would be the Forever GI Bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mr. Nice! posted:

Florida absolutely will deny unemployment benefits if you're getting too much tax free money from the feds. Each state is different and their unemployment system is based entirely on state law. They can count what they want to count.

In WA I didn't qualify for various benefits like SNAP or whatever because of my VA disability