Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In my experience it's along the lines of gay guys who like to shoot guns.

Not real big on "social programs", more on the "let everyone do whatever as long as it doesn't cost anything" side of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

aas Bandit posted:

I unfriended someone tonight that I've been friends with for over 30 years. He's always leaned pretty hard right, and is ex-military and always posts a lot of OUR TROOPS stuff and how liberals are dumb. Fifty people dead, and all he could offer was a snarky Facebook lecture "clearing up some of the ignorance" that he's seen regarding gun facts and terminology. gently caress.

Facebook didn't even exist 30 years ago, what the hell

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Huh. I drove that highway on the way back from Alaska via the ferry system back in 2005. I had no idea that was a thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

cptn_dr posted:

Wasn't it Flavor-Aid, anyway?

Yeah, generally you should lead with this

I'm serious--it's so trivial and such an abrupt turn from the germane point it throws people off balance; and yet it immediately shows you know more about the incident than the other person

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ok trapped mouse, you didn't have too go that far with it, just a post

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"extent" may vary by person

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Every "fact" in that meandering pile is wrong.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know that when I'm living as a guest in another country, I make it a point to engage native motorists in conversation and tell them not to display symbols of nationalism

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's "didn't have Nintendo, we just poured salt on snails"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plus an awful lot of now old racist boomers used to be hippies, and openly awaited their depression-era parents dying for the same reason.

Basically don't trust anyone over 30.

E: poo poo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Besides candy and sweets, they have other ready to make pastries, drink mixes. It's almost like that fundraiser poo poo you'd bring home at Christmas as an elementary student. It's super weird, and their website isn't very forthcoming about what is for sale, but I guess that's so you'll either host a party or become a seller.

The fun part is at the bottom of the website, there is a logo for the Direct Selling Association (https://directselling.org/). I guess it's supposed to appear like a Better Business Bureau, policing Pyramid Schemes MLM Direct Selling Businesses, but it's a lovely wordpress site spread so entirely thin.

I mean I looked that up too, earlier, and apparently the DSA is a real thing, founded by Avon and the like; and they claim only to have like 5% MLMs in their membership (though why anything more than 0% is not a big problem I'm not sure). But yeah, that website could not look more like some domain squatter setting up shop.

I guess my question is how is that chocolate thing able to use the Dove name if they're unaffiliated and shady (or even just unaffiliated)?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh my lord

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Who What Now posted:

Ignoring him won't make him go away, that has literally never once worked in all of human history. It'll just make him become more and more obnoxious until he does get the attention he craves. So might as well keep him from escalating and get some catharsis in the process.

peace for our time

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's like cracking jokes about bombs at the airport metal detector. Sure everyone there can obviously tell you're joking, or at least not a real threat. But they can't afford to allow even the impression that an "it's a prank, bro" defense will hold water. It's more about setting examples and creating deterrence for when a real threat arises.

Then again it would probably be smarter to let actual terrorists/assassins think it's safe to plan in the open so they can be nabbed, than to scare them into hiding in darker places where nobody will rat them out.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That infodump is largely accurate except for the thing about 2/3 of the way through that suggests that "putting a little extra effort into your own life so as not to be a dick to other people who might be having a tough time at theirs" is something only an ENEMY COLLABORATOR would do

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I hope someone makes some MRA costumes for Halloween this year, complete with some of those "This is my culture, not a costume, this is not OK" posters.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whatever it is, if they're proposing that a wad of maggots landed on the burger after it had been grilled, cheese melted on top of it, and the whole thing sealed into a bun with no gaps between the ingredients, then their scam is based on a poorly conceived idea of how burgers are made in the first place.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

EVEN NOW SITHRAK OILS THE SPIT

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rolo posted:

Man that is one big blown out vagina.

Like Coach McGuirk's pecs.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

hyperhazard posted:

I can't remember if it was a Chick tract or the crazy After Eden guy, but my favorite is where a little kid asks if she'll see her dog again in heaven, and the dude responds with an angry rant about how animals don't have souls.

Dunno if it was James Herriot or someone else or it's just a well-worn one-liner, but I always want to give a hearty handshake to any religious person who says "Of course your pets will be there in heaven; otherwise it wouldn't be heaven, would it?"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

During my spiteread of Wheel of Time (in which men must retake the mastery of the gender-divided world from a hairy coven of man-hating lesbians, and in which cosmic justice is meted out through spankings), I was told to read Sword of Truth next. I'm not falling for that poo poo again.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ambitious Spider posted:

Yea the books have some wonky gender politics, but it's more written by a clueless old dude then being actively horribly misogynist.

Like you could even argue the books have a vaguely feminist if extremely clumsily handled slant to them.

I'll grant that it was probably a whole lot more welcome in the 90s, and I picked a particularly bad year to pick it up. It's just that, perhaps by an accident of history, the universe concept feels like exactly the kind of thing a Gamergater or one of those Return of Kings people would come up with.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Magnus Manfist posted:

I used to read a lot of fantasy and I remember I picked up one book and the main character had something really painful happen to her boobs while she had to stay quiet maybe four or five times. Like a magic amulet heating up on her chest but she couldn't move it or scream because she was hiding from some dude, getting bitten on the titty by some big insect while hiding from a different dude, a third dude I think threatening to chop them off or something. Real loving specific, just...again and again.

Can't remember what it was called but it was a fantasy series so there was probably like nine books of The Nippletwister Saga: Shadows of Midnight: Chronicles of Getting Your Tits Bit Off

That's on like page 3 of that let's read thread; it's what happens the first time they meet one of their universe's orcs (only it's that they're getting bit on the neck by flies but they can't move or swat them because then they'll be seen)

So I guess what you're saying is that this happens a lot in that series, which I guess means Goodkind's way-too-specific fetish is about immobilization

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lipo-injection.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mu Zeta posted:

There is going to be a 21 Jump Street/Men in Black crossover film. Close enough.

As I understand it, the original ghostbusters script / studio pitch was closer to Men in Black than the final movie became. Belushi and Aykroyd as government agents/paranormal investigators traveling the astral planes chasing down troublesome ghosts.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

EvilGenius posted:

Personally I'm totally behind the female cast, and think getting the original old codgers back would have been pathetic. I'll watch it, and it will have no bearing on how I feel about the originals.I thought terminator 3 was total garbage, but I don't fly off into a rage that it ruined 1 and 2, because they're still ace. Same with the Star Wars prequels.

Combined with the earlier people talking about remakes/reboots "replacing" the originals in OG fans' minds, I think the reptile-brain fear they have is that then other people will hear them saying they're a "Ghostbusters fan" or a "Star Wars fan" or a "Mad Max fan" or whatever and think that what they mean is the new thing; and if the new thing is headed by women then it means the OG dude is saying he's into feminist-propaganda chick movies :tinfoil:

In the case of the Star Wars prequels it's a 30-something guy being terrified of being lumped in with a 15-year-old fan of Jar Jar Binks. You don't know maaaan, you weren't there

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You found it funny because you don't know. The OP could have gotten that Pikachu without stopping the kids because it's instanced. One person catching doesn't remove it for anyone else. So they were an rear end for no reason.

Big mistake on the game's part. I could have seen hilarious nerd brawls in front of every statue and plaque in Manhattan.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I used to worry that imgur would disappear like waffleimages.

It never occurred to me that the opposite result might be worse.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fathis Munk posted:

Isn't there a cliché that black people don't tip well?

As for the Morgan Freeman thing, I saw your post about it but the quote still has been popping up a helluva lot on imgur recently. It's a pretty dumb quote in general tbh. Yeah sure lets just stop talking about systemic racism and ignore it. I bet that'll make it go away.

Where all these discussions always lead is that people will suddenly turn and point at Obama: "He started this! There was no racism before Obama started whipping up race-war fever! Now look what he's done to us!"

That's their cover: See, we're not racist, we hate racism, we liked it just fine when we were all one big happy colorblind family before Obama came along and ruined everything, that dirty n——

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Henchman of Santa posted:

The a Capella group that sang the Canadian national anthem at the MLB All Star game changed the lyrics to include "All Lives Matter." This on the surface has nothing to do with social media, but one of them is a flat earther too.

https://twitter.com/adrianklee/status/753054139517661184

The one on the right reads like someone carefully rehearsed a series of delusional phrases that they had memorized like a magic spell.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mds2 posted:

The best way to battle an antivaxer is to post pictures of children with the terrible diseases that havent existed for 60 years. "so brave"

Would another approach be to approvingly compare them to those peoples in Africa and thereabouts who refuse to get Western vaccinations because they're afraid of a Jewish conspiracy to make their junk fall off?

"Good on you, glad you know what's really going on in the world!"

E: That depends on them being able to detect irony though, so probably not

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Transmogrifier posted:

This seemed too easy.

I just noticed "like Asian, or Asian or Latina" haha.

"Ghostbusters, The Heat, Spy" aka ALL MOVIES

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Obsolete posted:

Lovin' it.

Can't really understand more than every other word but he's got that awkward shut-in shrugging thing when he talks and that really tilts me.

¯\_(>:¬u)_/¯

Courtesy of

https://twitter.com/danthat/status/752853487197782016?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Karma Monkey posted:

I've never met a Joy who was anything but the opposite of joy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Absurd Alhazred posted:

After you upload, right-click the image and choose "copy image location" or whatever's relevant to your browser.

Hover on the little floating down-arrow and go to "Get share links".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plom Bar posted:

I very seriously doubt you'd find any of these handsome goodfellows at any kind of social interaction to be able to try it.

I would pay to watch that shruggy guy from the Ottawa McDonald's video talking to a woman (who isn't attempting to serve him).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I feel pity for people who can't watch Ghostbusters without making a video about how it is THE WORST MOVIE EVER I'D RATHER WATCH SMURFS THAN THIS MOVIE AGAIN, AND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING A MISOGYNIST I LOVE WOMEN AND THERE ARE GREAT STRONG FEMALE CHARACTERS LIKE INGRID BERGMAN AND RIPLEY AND UH SOME BOND VILLAINS.

Sometimes even a fairly mediocre and harmless gimmick comedy can bring new things to the table, like a whole new/underexplored character archetype like "ditzy male buff prettyboy who is too stupid to live but gets hit on by the female boss". I mean, it's no Citizen Kane, but it's a new thing to have on the screen, and who's against that? Who really wants to look forward to eight more decades of more of the same?

E: I know, I know, rhetorical af.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It may not be misogyny talking but it takes a special kind of person to look at a movie with 97% positive reviews and say "nah it's objectively bad".

This is not appeal to majority either, it's saying that if you stand yourself that starkly athwart overwhelming popular and critical consensus without even saying something self-aware like "Here is an opinion which I realize is probably not shared by many, but I feel it strongly", it makes everyone assume you're speaking as a crank.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Centripetal Horse posted:

Your argument is exactly argumentum ad populum. You literally said there's something wrong with me because 97% of people like thing, and I dislike thing. That's misleading, anyway. Viewer reviews give it a 4.2 out of 5, so a "B." You think it takes some sort of "special" person to look at a popular movie and say it sucks, but it's completely normal to assign psychological demons to people based on the fact that they didn't like a popular action flick?

No, I was in fact trying to say something more specific than that. To rephrase: You can dislike it all you want, that's fine. And you may have valid reasons for it (which you've given now, great, thanks). It's just that if you stomp in and declaim the opposite of what the overwhelming consensus is and you don't give some acknowledgment that you're going against that consensus and that you've got good reasons for it that a sane person might accept, it doesn't make you wrong, but it does make you look like you're deliberately being ironic or edgy or a gimmick or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If YouTube has taught me anything it's that pasty awkward ginger guys are probably the ones you've really got to watch out for.