Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
http://i.imgur.com/nl7nRMX.jpg

This has been making the rounds on my facebook, though because people i know are going "what the gently caress???" because they have some crazy relative who posted it seriously. Being insanely stubborn is this great American trait it seems, like invading a country and shooting all its people if they look at US soldiers cockeyed in responses to terrorists attacks has worked so well over the last 15 years, it will work again this time!

One of the best was "my gun nut brother who has failed to get into the Army three times because he fails their psychological tests because he literally tells everyone he wants to join up to shoot Muslims because he has the same mentality of the Door Gunner in Full Metal Jacket shared this."

Thing is, if the gun was replaced by a first aid kit or something else that's you know, humanitarian, it would be a fine cartoon, but because its YEA AMERICAN loving GONNA KICK rear end!!!! it feels insensitive. Also paired with a lot of "bet you wished you joined us in invading Iraq now right Frenchies?".

I wish the post was still around because another person had an argument break out between two people one who was all gung ho for more invasions of brown people and the other who went all Alex Jones "This didn't happen, false flag/it happened because the totally not Jew Jew rulers of the world wanted it to happen" and it was hilarious until it straight up turned racist in a scary way.

Re: Social Media is bad art, the dumb thing about those is they are always suggesting "Put down the phone and talk to people!" because that always is a treat. You start talking to a random person on the bus and everyone loves that. I love some guy who carries with him a miasma of weed and booze telling me about his life philosophy, or why music sucks today, or 9/11 truth or a million other topics i'd rather not discuss with total strangers. And you know what, edgy hipster artist who probably lives of their parents, when I'm staring at my phone, i'm talking to people, so i'm not being anti-social, i'm not just being social with random strangers I encounter during the day. Though obviously there are times where looking at your phone is rude, but no more rude than pulling out a book and starting to read it at the table or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Stinky_Pete posted:

I'm the subtle outline of the confederate flag, and the comic sans used solely for the source URL

I love this kind of stuff because none of that is unique to Islam, and its all done in lovely, authoritarian regimes, or places that have suffered from Western invasions and meddling.

There are 1.4 billion Muslims in the world, if these things were widely practiced, it would be a lot more noticeable. But nope, pretend you're concerned with the welfare of Women just so you can mask your Islamophobism behind it.

I also like when they bring up things from literally a thousand years ago. If you look back a thousand years, no one looks good, not Christians, not Muslims, not Buddhists or Hindus, First nations and African peoples, humans have done lovely, terrible things to each other for a million stupid reasons, but for some reason, Muslims get looked at through a harsher lens.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

There's an AUG thread? I thought they got gassed like the TVT treads.

Ugh why are these people always the same? There's some thing for kids, and adults who take things way to seriously and then add weird sex stuff to it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bondster posted:

Really Happy to have this thread back.

Red is a constant stream of IOSM. Went to highschool with the guy, haven't really talked to him since graduation. All I know about the guy is he went to the military at some point, and now he is out and way too into crossfit.

Lets casually talk about the genocide of 1.4 billion people because some are jerks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Someone I know on FB posted this

http://i.imgur.com/4B93h9s.jpg
Look at the time stamps. 5 months between begging for boobs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

goose fleet posted:

So how long until all the anti-GMO scaremongering about the newly approved GMO salmon?

You should counter that wild salmon stocks are near extinction levels, so if you want your artisan sushi, you're going to have to go without salmon or accept the GMO.

also

http://i.imgur.com/uMr8izR.jpg

Lets put a literal war criminal in charge of the military! And this is pretty much a recipe for WW3 where the entire world aligns against the US.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tiberius Thyben posted:

HAve we ever not had a war criminal in charge of the military? :confused:

Yea, but Allen West was a hands on war criminal. He directly was involved with War Crimes. It would be like Kissinger piloting a b-52 over Cambodia.

The best was the person who shared it had comments like "Yea, Palin's not the best but she's hot!" :suicide:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skaw posted:

Nice fantasy circus team, dudes gonna win the pool for sure.

Who's the AG? I don't recognize him among the other mental patients in the image.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea i've read that some studies have found that height is one of the major things women look for in men. Its mostly likely a social construct because we've always had men who are tall are more manly than ones who are not.

There's a reason apple crates are a major industry in hollywood.

It's funny, because I know a guy who really got into MRA because he honestly through it was about breaking down macho bullshit in society, how wrong he was.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

change my name posted:

Idiots are losing their poo poo over the "goatman" sighting (not even including the obvious joke here). Not going to bother editing out any names or anything, but it's a trending tag on Facebook and kind of amazing.

Did someone find a copy of Wild Animus?

It is heartbreaking to see someone you care about in a bad relationship, and I mean an abusive one, mentally or physically. But that's not what guys who moan about women only dating assholes are talking about. They're mostly thinking of what would be to other people just normal guys. Or they're guys who have treated mr woe is me like crap, because that kind of person tends to not get positive responses from people.

Wait, did that dudes son lay down a burn? That's kind of awesome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

darkwasthenight posted:

The trick is not finding a copy of Wild Animus. Only slightly less common than Gideon Bibles I believe.

My favorite story about Wild Animus was the one I heard about from I Don't Even Own a Television (bad book podcast, hilarious and at least listen to their episodes on Ready Player One and Armada) about how a box was sent to the Yale library, but because they didn't know what it was and it was just left there without any shipping labels or anything they worried it was a bomb so the bomb squad blew it up.

kinmik posted:

Yes, how dare this racist bitch, one of the busiest people in the literal world this time of year, not take the time out of her paying hours to be a selfless, honorable, not-racist person like I.

Do you think that you should get a medal for not being a shitheel?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nothing says "I am a crazy person" like comments that say "I know what really going on SHEEPLE". I guess if people like him work for the Government all their lives, then yes, we should be scared of it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

snergle posted:

being a southern racist is a religion you heard it here first folks.

Well, it kinda is.

And Lol at Southern History of treason and slavery.

A facebook friend posted about while they are a gun owner, they hate all the fucktards who feel the need to walk around armed as if they were living in Fallout, and their tacticlol accessories. This brought out a bunch of gun nuts who started yelling about how they didn't feel safe going to walmart or subway without a gun because of terrorists, thugs and cartel enforcers everywhere. She then told them to grow up and not be afraid of everyone, to which they said that she wasn't really in favor of the 2nd amendment, which somehow makes it a requirement to shoot any shifty eyed brown person you see.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This was commented on by a friend of mine. It was about petition.org crashing because some many people signed the "keep Trump out of Britain" petition

http://i.imgur.com/6ak7zrP.jpg

Yea, I'm sure being upset that your entire race/relgion/culture a bunch of subhumans that are responsible for all the problems in the world is just being oversensitive. Also, what the gently caress does that have to do with guns?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Stuntman posted:

What the gently caress did you do to that poor jpg?

It looked fine at first, then imgur did something weird to it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

subpar anachronism posted:

For the record lemon ice cubes aren't even mentioned in the article. Their advice is to freeze an entire lemon and then shred bits of pith and frozen lemon directly into every single thing you eat. Because cancer big pharma blah blah. Because you will experience a 'taste you have never experienced before'. I feel dumber just for having read this.

This reminds me of the woman who claimed "worms" would come out of her skin if she rubbed it with a lemon. She claimed they were put there through geoengineering from chemtrails. To the credit of the chemtards, many of them realized it was just the lemons pulp.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Well, I was an idiot on social media for throwing in on an discussion about safe spaces. Some old comedian who no one cares about says something about how colleges should be places where you're gonna have to think and not be coddled. Someone brought up the Jerry Sienfeld thing and I was "uh yea old comedian with lovely material whines that college students found his act out of touch and offesensive. Lots of young comedians do really well on college tours and have no problem, even people like Daniel Tosh, because they're actually funny to kids. There is no mobs of students running them off because they failed the use a gender neutral pronoun. I think if you're an entertainer and can't take criticism you're the one with the thing skin that needs safe spaces."
And the respond "clearly you're ignorant of the situation on college campuses" and links to a reason.com article that's based on that stupid coddling of the American mind article that uses a lot of anecdotes and second hand stories as fact and says kids are all pussies these days.

Yea, I bowed out, known that some dickhead is smugly sitting there going "showed that skeleton!", when really I just realized there was no reason to engage someone so far up the MRA cultures rear end.

I mean seriously, the only people that I could find actually having an impact based on the whole thing was people with serious complains or faculty that were straight up racist/sexist/whatever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

cash crab posted:

Only sort of related, but I am always strangely disappointed with myself for not continuing to touch poop that I have already touched because of that idea.

Case in point: there's this guy who I met at a party who immediately went home and added me to Facebook (which is weird because I don't use my real name on Facebook precisely so people can't do this). Anyway, not surprisingly he turned out to be a batshit chemtrail "pot cures cancer" weirdo. He posted this thing about how if weed dispensaries here start being run by the government than they will start injecting them with antifreeze to scare people off of pot, just like they did during Prohibition! I tried to explain that a) the government wouldn't legalize and tax an item and then try to kill people using it so they could de-legalize it, and b) Canada's prohibition period was hilariously short in most provinces anyway and c) ???? when did that happen? Most people poisoned themselves trying to make bootleg liquor.

He retorted with the least intelligible gobbledegook I've ever read and I just gave up. Some little part of me is terrified that he realized I wasn't going to respond and he assumed I read his response and went, "poo poo u Right, thanks"

To be fair the US Government did poison alcohol to prevent it from being used, but not in secret. Cases were marked, but unscrupulous bootleggers used it anyways because gently caress their customers, they got paid and they're criminals. Deaths caused by this was one of the reasons people began to question prohibition in larger numbers. Not because of the poisoned hooch, but because the Temperance League and the Anti-Saloon League were very cavalier about the deaths claiming "Well, they were dirty criminals and probably Catholics so they deserved to die".

But yea, there's nothing worse than interjecting some reality into someones derpy argument and then realizing you've done the wrong thing because while you were approaching it with reason, they're so invested in their system of beliefs, they'd spew garbage at you all day from suspect sources and you either have to give up or invest time you could be using productively like watching cat videos or eating pringles to counter them.

Reminds of that FB group i briefly belonged to called I Don't Like What Stephen Harper is Doing to Canada. It was all fairly reasonable until suddenly "Jews are controlling our government and blah blah elders of zion quote" and i questioned this sudden outburst, and got a ton of infowars links. The owner actually said "I see you haven't been enlightened by Alex Jones". I left that group super quick. Then I got spammed by the owner again with infowars links. I straight up told him "i don't want to hear your crazy nazi poo poo" and he got super pissed and threatened to find my home and teach me a thing about who really runs the world.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Is he complaining about DOAX 3 not being released in North America? That's the new hill to die on for GGs.

The really dumb thing is its clearly a business decision because the games are terrible and sold like poo poo. They are collections of bad mini games and then a bikini trading game. That was about it, and nothing says designed to appeal to a certain type of Japanese gamer than that. Playasia has been promoting that they're selling it as if it was some kind of subversive act. I've seen a lot of idiots getting them selves worked up over the stupid game.

I'm pretty sure they're the same people who are pissed off that there won't be any more Rapelay games.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fishstick posted:

SJWS ARE RUINING OUR VIDYAGAMES BECAUSE THEY BANNED BOOBS WHY ARE GIRLS PLAYING THIS THINGS I LIKE

That's about it. 99% of people playing vidyagames don't give a poo poo, but some communities are very toxic and it gets even worse with some GG influence (god I hope I don't summon the fairy).

While 3 of the best games of the year have lots and lots of tits in them (Phantom Pain and Witcher 3). Though tits in Witcher are done in consensual sex scenes, while Quiet just wants to shake her titties at you for Japanese gaming reasons.

Every tournament I've been they are really strict on the way people can act. They will tolerate people getting angry up to a point but yelling and screaming and swearing are not permitted. Sorry that somehow oppresses you but everyone has a right to not hear that kind of poo poo when they're trying to have fun. Though they have all been Magic, Warhammer, board game etc so there's probably a level of maturity at work that goes beyond Smash bros players. Actually the con I'm part of refuses to do SMB tournies because their playerbase is so god drat toxic.

Christo posted:

Encountered this on my facebook feed this morning.
The

Thanks man, I never would have gotten it without those helpful annotations!

I honestly though this was a joke the first time I saw it.

Imgur hosed up the order but you can get the jist of this
http://imgur.com/D6lUXE6&aLRKnJK&EmZYbBS&atTWI3w&Pe0BOn2&hzxc27j&SBbCfXF&J92UGqb&pBxLb6V

Friend of mine does modeling, sometimes nude, sometimes not. She posted some recent pictures on facebook, and this guy message her demanding nudes, because if she does nude modeling, that means he's entitled to seeing them right? And when he said no, this was how he responded.

The "you think you're better than everyone else" is such a vapid comment. What the gently caress does it mean anyways? "Yes I think i'm better than knuckle dragging pervs who demand to see my tits" seems like a reasonable stance to take. Basically every woman I know gets this kind of poo poo constantly.

I hate to find out how many people would like this image on imgur, but i had to share it as well
http://imgur.com/b5NW0Jt
It came from someone in my CT FB group shared by a friend of theirs who's a big Trump fan unironically. When people said "hey fucker, stop it with the nazi poo poo" he claimed he wasn't a nazi or an anti-smite, just spreading the truth. When someone says "i like Trump because he talks straight and doesn't bullshit" they mean "I like Trump because he says racist poo poo that I agree with"

Honestly, I thought these were a joke

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fishstick posted:

No, Quiet has <reasons> she needs that much skin. Replace the Quiet model with a male model and some of these scenes turn hilarious. Bonus if you haven't seen the originals:

"Helicopter": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC0IJhMFLDg
"Rain scene": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87YXRvfMDlM

Yea, that poo poo is hilarious and makes the point "if you substitute a man for the woman, does it look silly or does it not?" when you talk about women in games. The thing that drives me nuts about PP is that its so completely unesscary. I think that if they had just had quiet in the outfit, it would be "okay hot half naked sniper, I can deal with that. This game had a dog with an eyepatch, so whatever" but then you add those scenes and even just "what the gently caress? Japan stop it!".

Also, those turn PP into a tender love story between Snake and Ocelot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Jennifer Lawrence used to be the one they all attacked for being 'fat'.

This was one of the strangest moments I've seen. When people complain about over saturation of celeb reporting, I think "do you not know there are literally hundreds of news outlets that your finger tips have access to?" then I realize these are people who are lazy and let it come to them and then complain because facebook or the yahoo front page is sharing news about Kim and Kanye all the time because they find it more profitable to put that out there than stories about climate change conferences.

Madkal posted:

I know someone who pulls this poo poo too. He will say something racist as gently caress and then say "unfortunately I can't say this in public because of the PC police, but it's all true. There are facts backing it up". An example of this is when he said "Blacks are less intelligent and more lazy than white people. It's true. Studies have shown it, but you can't say that because the PC police will label you a racist even if it's true".

Oh yea, I've had people pull out the whole "look how many blacks are in prison, therefor they commit more crimes!" ignoring the fact that blacks generally get harsher entrances than whites for the same crime and are more likely to be sent to prison than whites.

I always loved how LBJ set up a study to study why minorities have such problems, and it straight up came back saying White Racism was the root cause of everything. That is true even today, though the sensitive flowers on the right want to pretend that it's not.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
http://i.imgur.com/j6hDIKL.jpg

Wait...i, what? I'm sorry not having sex with someone because you're not attracted to them is reverse rape? How does that even work? You can't demand that people find you attractive, that's not a subjective thing that can be shamed into happening.

I'm sure the person who posted this is a really ugly, toxic person to be around and the fact they don't get laid has less to do with them being a fatty than them being just unpleasant.

This is the kind of poo poo MRAs and other shitfarts point to when talking about "SJW are destroying the world"!

EDIT: To hopefully avoid painful derails

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 07:41 on Dec 15, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Oh god. Now you've done it. Last time someone said they weren't interested in sleeping with a trans person in pyf was a 10 page derail.

Oh poo poo, welp, i hope it doesn't come to that again.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tiberius Thyben posted:

You're a hero, cash crab.

He is, he deserves all the marshmallows he can eat.

Anyways, I realized that post is basically the same kind of idea as the Neckbeards who complain about then not getting women because they're Too Nice. It's not me that's the problem, its society!!!! I shouldn't have to change myself at all, people who be attracted to me no matter what!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

And this is why I don't automatically respect anyone who serves, because they often turn out to be giant pieces of poo poo. gently caress you, you don't get to choose who's freedoms your protecting you human pile of poo poo.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Sure, you may have followed Sementanks dot com on Facebook in order to keep informed about the best deals and sales on semen tanks, but you'll also appreciate their cutting-edge political commentary.

I love the part about 20 planes being given to Egypt. Please ignore the tons of materials given to Iraq, Pinochet and other tin pot dictators around the world during the Regan admin.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Madkal posted:

Basically anyone who tells someone to stop saying racist/misogynistic/xenophobic remarks are accused of being too sensitive/PC

They're such delicate flowers, it really wounds them to be told they're racists.

Elderbean posted:

Yeah basically everyone I met in the Navy would not shut up about their SACRIFICES for FREEDOM and how much they valued FREEDOM. It only extended to white conservatives though, everyone else could gently caress off, die, or be thrown in prison.

I've said many times, it's a selfish kind of freedom. Freedom for me and people like me, everyone else can just gently caress off and die. That is kind of libertarianism's appeal.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

goose fleet posted:

All of these old games aren't as amazing if you play through them again nowadays and are mostly just worshiped and voted as best-ever so that these internet nerds can validate their sense of nostalgia in lieu of developing an actual personality

It's like gaming for a certain segment of the population stops around 1997. That's nearly 20 years, and nothing good has come out then? There's a reason I associate obsession with old games (at the exclusion of newer games) with being giant manbabies.

And yea, a lot of older games are really loving slow. I bought Xenogears from PSN and it took nearly an hour and a half of running around to get into a fight. We put up with a lot of poo poo in the past.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The guy in the Silent Hill wiki is like Conservative on Conservapedia. Constantly posting and updating and editing for up to 24 hours straight.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CommonShore posted:

Both safety and healthcare are money-making scams.

The Alberta Government is extending the Health and Saftey act to include farms. Suddenly, a bunch of "Farmers" started freaking out about it saying this will ruin family farms, because kids won't be able to help out, or ride with dad in the tractor and injuries will now have to be reported and that means the Government will have to get involved and such. It was so full of people claiming that the provincal government and its socialist ways where poking its head into business it doesn't have a right to.

Some of the complainers were saying stuff like "losing a finger makes you a man" and so on. Seriously, what the gently caress is wrong with you if you think that's a positive thing? Somehow I feel like someone who says things like that also beats their children for the smallest infraction.

The reason I put "farmers" in quotes is because many of the people who were protesting the bill are not farmers in any way shape of form, but are simply owners of farms as buisnesses, and have no interaction with the crops in any way. It would be like calling a person who owns a factory an assembly line worker.

I love that we live in a world where "provide your workers and consumers with healthy and safe products/environments" and that's seen as a bad thing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CommonShore posted:

I had an argument about this with someone the other day and I came to the conclusion that the whole "mah family furms" is a total canard which distracts from the fact that 99% of people who will be protected by this legislation are adult migrants working on industrial-scale operations.

Did you see the bit about the Wildrose leader politely asking supporters to stop threatening on social media to assassinate the premier?

You know you're a shithead when the Wildrose party is going "Whoa guys, not too far now". Alberta has been the breading ground of Nutbars for a while, and now they've elected a NPD government after decades of corrupt and incompetent Conservative Governments, they've all gone off their nut. Some blame the people who are from out of province for the shift in government, a friend of mine from back home who's worked and lived in Calgary for over a decade knows a bunch of people who have straight up been threatened by native Albertans after the election.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The guy who invented Soylent wrote these right?

Seriously, these were probably written as a joke, but there are people out there that are all "yea, those should be the rules about work, its called WORK for a reason". and they're the people who are in middle management or small business owners than vanish half way though the day and expect their employees to stay late and work on weekends, and when asked about raises go "You have a job, you should be thankful for that".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tiberius Thyben posted:

One of the guys on freep took the radios out of all his company's trucks so his employees wouldn't listen to them :D

Yea, I remember that. Also, a bunch were really smug about firing people for voting for Obama. Which is funny because will Will to Work laws or whatever they're called, people can be fired for anything, but its still illegal to fire people for things like political opinions. Saying to the employee that they were fired due to downsizing, then going online and going "hahah I fired that Libtard for voting for Obummer!", that can get you in hot water.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Telegnostic posted:

That's not true, at least in the US. It's usually legal to fire people for their political opinions. There's a very short list of things you can't fire people for (race, sex, religion, ...), and political affiliation isn't on the list.

And Right to Works laws have nothing to do with it. Those concern whether employees can be required to join a union as a condition of their employment.

I was sure i read that you cannot fire someone for voting a certain way. Maybe in certian states?

It is scummy that you can fire people because they don't like your politics though. Actually, its generally scummy that you can be fired for reasons that have nothing to do with work, or criminal activity.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cumslut1895 posted:

some were mad when Cho Chang was chinese

Go find the logic loops they use to try to justify Cho being white.

"well, she has a Chinese name because she was a white girl adopted by Chinese parents!".

There's a lot of loving racist nerds out there, but don't dare you call them that, its mean and triggering! You don't get to use that word when you're using it to keep people down.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aesop Poprock posted:

There was an Asian girl pilot who had more on-screen time than porkins. Also an alien red squadron pilot who died but that still probably counts as diversity. Also some of the storm troopers were randomly girls including the shiny silver one who might have been their leader or something (?)

Yea, it was cool to hear the random chatter from the Storm Troopers and hearing clearly female voices among them. Also, her name is Captain Phasma and she was played by a true lady

http://i.imgur.com/TbuOcyp.jpg

And I never felt like there was anything stereotypical about Cho at all. She wasn't good at math, or had over bearing parents, or talked in an Engrish style. She seems about as well developed as any of the side characters.

There are certainly a aspect of damned if you do damned if you don;t when it comes to diversity in nerd stuff. If you don't include any POC or women or any other under represented groups, you'll hear about it. If you do add them, people will criticize you for stereotyping or not representing them correctly. There's also the problem of getting "you included women and people of colour, but where are the LBGQT people????????" type comments. I would think that in a ideal society, who you sleep with or who you identify as would be invisible and therefor not needed to have attention brought to it unless the plot needed it. Being gay would not effect being a space pilot in anyway, so why does it need to be mentioned? You can also end up in a situation where that becomes the story, rather than the one your trying to tell.

How would it have changed the stories if we knew Dumbledore was gay to begin with? In no way, plus in his situation there's no reason to announce it. His private life is that, his private life. It becomes part of the backstory which is actually quite tragic, though it's unimportant because this is Harry's story.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aesop Poprock posted:

Legit thought flat earth society people were a joke. I mean I'm not totally shocked they're real but jesus christ

The Flat Earth Theory is weird. It never existed in any meaningful way until the 19th century. Scholars seem to agree that Washington Irving's history book is the first place the idea that people in the past thought the earth was flat in the past was used in a academic work. Maybe average people didn't know, but it wasn't really something that effected their lives. Anyone who sailed or lived near the sea knew it was round, and you can find tons of representations of the Earth in art that shows spheres. Though hilariously this is used by Ancient Alien proponents as evidence because everyone in the past was dumb so therefor Aliens. Anyways, from there it basically became a meme because the Victorians had this romanticized image of the past were everyone was courtly, polite, well behaved and dumb as poo poo. They like to pretend they invented reason and science, and what better way to do it than to say they thought the world was flat. Or on the back of turtles.

Thing is people totally believed that and then that evolved into people thinking that yes, it's true. Every piece of evidence for roundness is faked by THEM. There have been experiments to prove things are flat, but either they fail (because of sabotage) or they "succeed". One well know "success" was using a long straight line of poles that would attach themselves, and if the world was round, the distance would change between their bottoms and the ground, which it didn't. It was later found that the poles were actually curved nearly exactly the curve of the earth so yes, they would have the same distance from bottom to the ground.

Flat Earthers are pretty harmless on their own, its when they combine it with Chemtrails, Lizardmen, Truth and Birther (yes Obama is a secret muslim AND hiding the flat earth from us).

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, and that's why I think the poem and it's critiques aren't aimed at Rowling herself but leagues of people who still use Harry Potter as an example for everything. Like, J.K. Rowling says Donald Trump is worse than Voldemort (I don't know how because he hasn't killed anybody yet and they both lead a bunch of angry racists) and it's big news. Rowling's work is treated like a perfect text and so part of the point of critique is just reminding people that it isn't. I'm not saying you fall into this trap, but I've noticed that many people seem to equate feminist critiques with being unable to enjoy a thing, but actually, many feminists really like work that is problematic for various reasons (feminist Shakespeare scholars, for example, don't rush to defend the idea that his early use of the cuck meme was anything other than an acknowledgement that men should have women under control).

So in my interpretation, the poet is less saying "wow J.K. you really hosed up by only acknowledging Dumbledore's sexuality outside of the text" and more saying "you nerds can't possibly think this is what a positive portrayal of a gay character is supposed to look like". The idea is to challenge people to create and to want characters who more fully encompass roles at a rate more similar to the actual occurring one. It's also to challenge people to stop worshipping Rowling as incapable of flaw. And when positive portrayals of characters of color and various sexualities start to pop up (Borderlands is actually really good with this, I've found, and nobody talks about how diverse Borderlands characters are across the three main games and the Telltale adventure), people won't bring it up much because they're too busy enjoying the media.

Being able to critique and take critism of things you like is a sign of maturity that most nerds lack. There has never been anything I have enjoyed that didn't have some aspect that could be problematic at the very least. I mean, I love Lovecraft's stuff but even in when I was a teen reading it for the first time, a lot of the obvious racist stuff was clear to me, though some things that were most likely meant to be racist either didn't register because I don't think like that, or was completely missed due to the purple prose. For example I always though the "degenerate swamp folk" in Call of Cthulhu were mean to be like inbred hick white people, and Lovecraft was mocking the idea of the Klan running around in robes burning crosses and being all crazy with their racism, adding a mysticism to it. Though I've seen most critics say that he just meant poor black folks who loved in the swamps. Congaree I think they would have been refereed to.

And yea, does a gay character have to act all fem and fabulous to people? One of the best things was in the Flash when the police Captain is shot someone says "we gotta call his husband". It has never come up that he's gay, it has zero effect on the story, but having that as just a matter of fact is a perfect example of "being gay isn't a big deal and it doesn't need to be brought up".

I'm pretty good friends with my sister's friend who teaches Feminist literary theory (among other things) and we have great discussions about women in fantasy and sci-fi because you can tell when someone says "yes women should have a bigger role, and yes, I should have people of colour and gays in my story" and then because of ignorance or just the way society views these people at the time, they become problematic. Older Sci-fi and fantasy is a lot like this. I always felt Dune was a great work for the time because Baron Harkonnen's homosexuality doesn't feel like its added to make him more evil, though his gluttony certainly is. Also, you have Jessica who feels like an equal partner for Leto. Though I know some people see this in other ways.

It all comes down to nerds filling their lives with media and defining themselves by the media they consume, and therefor attacks of their favorite movies and games and whatnot becomes a personal attack. Jesus gently caress guys, you can say "I have issues with the way women are portrayed in this game, but it is still a good game". I'm not calling you dumb or even sexist just because you really loving like that game. But no, any criticism of beloved nerd things is an vicious attack and must be met with as strong as force as possible (especially if it was a woman).

I tried to find the tweets, but Ernest Cline, hack writer of Ready Player One and Armada has a real issue with people criticizing his work. He got pretty salty on twitter when the Podcast I Don't even Own a Television reviewed both his books and called them bad.

This kind of reminds me of a discussion I had forever ago on MYSPACE. Friend posted an article say how Fantasy was inherently racist because they always have "evil races" which always are analogs for non-whites. It was very broad and generalized, using a lot of LOTR as evidence, but also looked at Conan, Elric, D&D and others. Basically, if you have an race that's evil, you can draw parallels to the things that make it evil to outdated stereotypes of non-white peoples such as human sacrifice, cannibalism, oppression, madness, violence and carnality. Hence, racism. It seemed completely ignorant of anything beyond surface readings of anything, and I knew it missed things that were obvious in the works it was using as reference. It referred to the Melnibone as "Idealized images of European Supremacy that would make Hitler proud", which is insanely poor reading of it because Moorecock clearly states that the Melnibone are a vile, corrupt and evil people who care nothing for anyone who isn't them, and deserve to have their monopoly of power to be torn down. There is merit to the reading of LOTR that is about proper Nordic European peoples defeating evil peoples of the East and South, though within the books you can find that these were not inherently evil, but corrupted by the power that Sauron offered them. Though that's buried in the appendix that are not something everyone going to read, so it appears more the latter.

Anyways, I commented on it, talking about the misreadings of things or the straight up completely wrong information given, and argued that even if you can draw parallels between the antagonists of these works and real world racial stereotypes, that doesn't mean that was the intention, not to mention many of them were extremely generalized. Someone responded to me with a flippant comment which I remember went something like "Of course you'd defend this kind of racist garbage. People like you are so full of hate, but know its not okay to express it against real people, you need to create fictional ones to put that hate on. You disgust me". I was so taken aback I didn't know what to say. I was not aware that not liking fictional people made you a monster.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Dec 21, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Saddest Rhino posted:

weed makes people weird

Also seems to not want to make you wear a shirt.

http://i.imgur.com/FAWwY61.jpg

That black guy in the background is thinking "WTF white people" but the white guy behind him is thinking "I want to leave my wife for that"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There's also an element of them being unable to accept their favorite things can have flaws. I love FF5 to death but the entire Berserker class is a horrible trap, as one example. But I understand and accept that and find the game's strengths to be far greater than its weaknesses.

But, like, take the response to Twilight Princess getting an 8.8/10 review.

This was before release. None of the people ranting here have played the game. It's not enough that it's good because it's a Zelda game and it therefore must be perfect by default. Part of it is straight up bigotry, but part of the vitriol is in part that mentality.

Oh jesus gently caress. Hardcore classic gaming fans are the WORST. It's fine to be into old school games, but being this obsessed with them is so loving delusional. These types always seem to be the kind of people who build elaborate fantasies around these games the suit their own insecurities and desires. Look at Sonic Fandom, its the most batshit insane thing out there. Someone who's really into Sonic is someone I'll avoid like the plague. Zelda fans can be a little saner, but yea, Zelda is the best game series ever and therefor every game must be the best games ever.

What ever is it that makes people nuts over them must also be the kind of people who are into creepypasta's because almost all the big gaming ones are about these kinds of games.

into the void posted:

This is essentially what The Mary Sue has boiled down to (yet Supergirl still gets a weekly glowing pass). That and the occasional article complaining extensively about such and such media, written by someone who opening admits to never watching/reading/playing said media. Can't even hate read that site anymore.

Paraphrase someone I know on Twitter.
"Rey is not a mary sue, she's a man writing his fantasy without considering what a woman's fantasy might be"
Uh, considering women are generally loving Rey in TFW, I don't think saying that Rey is just a male fantasy is representative of what women think.

But yea, there's an aspect of social justice that is problematic, where if you address one thing, you need to address everything. And if you write anything that may not fit someones perfect image of how that kind of person should be, you'll get hell. Obviously a professional will just look at those criticisms and either ignore them because they're silly, or if they want to risk it, engage with these people and try to find out what they can do to improve it. Though that is met sometimes with "I'm not here to educate you" which means the person was complaining for complaining sake. If you want to see real change, you have to put some effort into it.

My friend is married to a woman who's family name is Cho, and they're from Taiwan. I have another friend who's mother's name is Cho, and they're from Hong Kong. So Cho is a reasonable name for a people from Chinese ancestry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Leavemywife posted:

I have my doubts about that.

:colbert:

Funny, I thought this was the AUG thread for a second when I posted it.