Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

FebrezeNinja posted:

Battleships are idiots who often forget they have secondary weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I run an elite Mahan and get 4-5 kills easily. Destroyers are super fun. Managed to skip almost every Japanese cruiser that way to get to the Agano.

My secret is knowing how to aim with torpedoes and also having upgraded guns. The DPS on guns hugely improves if you get the upgrades. Also being able to hit people is good.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 15, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

James Garfield posted:

How do depth charges work? I dropped one directly onto a submarine and it said "success" but did no damage and I didn't see an explosion.

Drop them on the shadow. Drop perpendicular to the sub for maximum damage since your depth charges drop side by side.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Feindfeuer posted:

Which is weird, cause my Tier 1 Destroyer has no problem sinking any tier 2 destroyer. The only thing it really lacks is depth charges.

Also trip report after my first round in the BB18 Connecticut, the Torpedotubes are placed at the front and back of the ship firing sideways, allowing you to combat any uboat that things your lone BB is an easy target. The primaries are not that great as half of them are only 203mm guns with only the forward and rearward turret featuring 305mm barrels; but they still get the job done. The secondaries are awesome, the 12 x 176mm guns fire fast and accurate and will decimate anything that dares to close with you and the 8 x 76mm manual AA allows you to clear the sky of any plane formation you might encounter at that tier.

And you do all of this while rocking the white/golden paintjob of the great white fleet. Including golden trim between the white part of the hull and the red waterline part and black barrels sticking out from your golden turrets. It's beautiful. :allears:

Pre-dreadnoughts are amazing.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Stanley Pain posted:

Dodging friendly fire is the new meta. Or a game of how many people's names can I make blue.

Friendly torpedoes just add to the depth charge experience.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kylra posted:

Destroyer zigzag charge an open flank and torpedo. Skill won't make them psychic or able to see the future enough to accurately hit where you'll be without luck or if you're predictable. If you move in a straight line, you die to battleships. Simple.

If you're at a good range making a course correction when you see the battleship's flashes will often make them miss you. Another way to make battleships less accurate is to fire a long range spread to force them to turn. Of course you have to be able to lead threateningly enough to force a turn, though.

One thing I noticed is that while my Atlanta absolutely shat on DDs and other cruisers, its larger size(especially height-wise) made it a lot easier for battleships to put more of their shots on target.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Jaroslav posted:

Just unlocked the Benson and my god it is a beast. 10 universal torpedoes is so much fun.

I've been playing the Myoko and man those torps can be a big help. 8 torps a side, and 10 8 inch guns for brawling with some secondaries too.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Stevefin posted:

I have noticed that many people stop, or never move, like my teams battle ships and start playing the game as if they are arty or carriers. I know WoWS also has this problem. but the amount that I have seen battle lines just stop and trade blows with each other is mind boggling

The worst is when your battle line stops in a position where they're actually out of range to help your spotters at all. Subs benefit a lot from having good battleship help because they keep sub hunters from humping them.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I've had it happen a few times that I'd be in a sub and launch a spread of torps at max range at a random stationary BB to force it to maneuver, only to receive confirmation of a kill two minutes later.

Speaking of BBs, it does annoy me a bit that they usually tend to make up the majority of a given lineup. In most matches I look at 4-6 BBs but only 1-2 DDs and CVs/CAs each. With a makeup like that there's often fairly little to do for the smaller ships but to mercilessly get dunked on the moment they're spotted without doing much of anything.

If you do something other than go in a straight line it's very hard for BBs to hit you until you're in torpedo range.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Perestroika posted:

Eh, just getting into torpedo range isn't everything. Especially as a CL when you actually want to do your job (i.e. going after DDs and the occasional SS) getting into range with your targets means being within range of the enemy BBs. So half the time rather than engaging the enemy smaller ships yourself, you're driving in serpentines or circles to avoid their heavy artillery and hope that your BBs kill them faster than theirs can you.

CLs have a harder time, yeah, because they tend to be taller and less maneuverable. You have to be more cautious. The bigger your ship, the more cautious you have to be. You can get more aggressive later on when the BBs start shooting at each other.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Meat_Grinder posted:

Japanese are Damage and Recon, their T4 have 8 frontal tubes vs everyone else's 4. They also get a Hyrdroplane. They also have less oxygen consumption during diving.

US are all about armor and hit points.

German are all about speed and maneuverability.

One important thing is size, too. Japanese subs are huge, while U-boats are tiny. Size matters a lot in this game.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Feindfeuer posted:

Britisch BBs are pretty iconic, and there are already more than enough Players playing that class almost exclusivly. I'd love me a dreadnought, but getting more non-BB boat is probably a good thing.

When you play T7 it's almost all battleships. I saw someone with a Bismarck, too.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Humbaba posted:

At what point do the credits pick up? I have enough XP for the Tier IV U-Boat and nearly enough for a Wyoming, but only enough to buy one of them. It looks like the U-Boat upgrade is marginal, though. So how does the Wyoming compare to the Florida? Worth getting first?

The Wyoming is a huge upgrade over the florida- better main guns, much better secondaries(you can actually fire more than three at a time with a broadside!), and more hp.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ratzap posted:

I'm saving up XP now on the Furutaka and wondering which one to go with. I'm tending toward the Agano because it's smaller, faster and has depth charges. Has anyone tried both the Aoba and the Agano?

The agano lacks sniper mode and has a shorter range on its main guns. The Aoba can snipe but lacks depth charges.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Meat_Grinder posted:

Just an FYI, People from "6th Reich fleet" will TK you on sight. Apparently they have something against Goons. Did we pwn them in fleet battle or something?

We beat a Nazi-themed fleet in fleet battles yesterday. That might be the one.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
You know it's not their poopsock team when you see ships other than fubuki, Wyoming, or independence.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The premium CL, oyodo is a light cruiser that can carry up to 12 planes, including torpedo bombers.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Pacra posted:

Amazing.

Put in the Ise CV with 20 planes.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Oyodo trip report:

The guns are actually pretty good against destroyers and subs- this thing is probably the ultimate sub hunter with torpedo bombers, tightly spread guns, and depth charges.

Also it has 16 AA guns.

I've been getting about two kills a game with it and learned how to aim torp bombers with it, though the planes it has are flimsy as hell.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Stay back with the battleships, maybe a kilometer or two ahead of them. Your job isn't really to scout, its to screen the bigger ships from threats such as over-extending destroyers.

Yeah, sometimes in the higher tiers the game makes you scout by making you the smallest and fastest ship in the game and that sucks- though if you're cautious a CL can still see a BB from outside the BB's spotting range, but you have to understand where he's going and be sure to stay in that range band.

Also, people whining when I play an Oyodo as something other than a dedicated scout plane user. You have your own god drat scout planes, use those, I have torpedo bombers! They're the only things I have that hurt battleships!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The T3-4 light cruisers that aren't the Atlanta are total dogshit.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Pervis posted:

The Fubuki is so utterly amazing. I think I got every battle achievement: unsinkable, hero, and the 5 kills in 2 minutes achievement as well. 2 full screens worth of scrolling, all so I could get 50k more silver from the elite attack.

edit: although I just got woundless hero as a Florida (or whatever the T3 US BB is), which I haven't seen before.

Welcome to T3 DD games. Enjoy your stay.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Michaellaneous posted:

Getting 3 sub kills in a carrier.

Carriers are actually the best sub hunters in the game.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I kinda wish I went for the Agano. The Aoba isn't as awkward as the Furutaka, but it has the same number of guns and isn't great at fighting destroyers.

The agano's kinda awkward, too. It has slow-firing guns but can't snipe at all.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mazz posted:

So with the gold I have from the investment thing I'm really tempted to buy an Oyodo. I don't think people realize it can launch torpedo planes and therefore have no idea what's coming in those games with no CVs.

It's the same rules as normal CVs, though, but moreso because Oyodo planes can't survive ANY AA at all. They're much flimsier than normal planes. Your CL armament isn't that good but if a destroyer can't aim you'll be okay.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Night10194 posted:

I think this is the only pubby behavior that infuriates me more than BBs that hold still. I cannot fathom why someone would play the Gotta Go Fast cool skirmishing and spotting class and then hide behind fatbotes all day.

One thing i'll say, though, is that DDs have no spotting advantage in night battles. Thusly, the thing to do is to just do the ninja warrior thing you can do in t3. It's never "hide behind the battleships" though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Pervis posted:

I can't find the disguise value, but your theories do fit what I've seen, especially at the higher tiers. DD's (especially the Laforey) can spot and remain un-seen pretty well, but CL/CA can't pull it off for poo poo. I do shove the radar mast on every ship, and the communication leader (450m range) so I'm usually in the 4.5-5k range minimum on every ship minus subs, but only destroyers seem to be able to scout and not be instantly seen. Cruisers seem to be pretty odd ducks at the higher tiers because they are weaker against subs, not nearly as good scouts, but their guns can't really hurt BB's (which are everywhere). Subs fit the role of secondary scouts much better, and are much more fun at t4/t5 than the lower tiers, since you can stay under longer and are generally faster.

Even at full speed my Mogami 35 has a band where it can see BBs and not be seen, but it's very thin. It's also very dependent on speed- one of the flaws I think we have vis a vis tryhard clans is going full speed ahead at all times and this is actually a significant debuff to your stealth rating. I think disguise is actually really important and probably moreso than spotting range.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Stanley Pain posted:

You actually have to pen to do that damage though. It's amazing vs. things you can pen, but more often than not 1/2 the other team is going to be in BBs. I guess because I went down the German BB line instead of the US line I never had damage/shot that high especially not at tier 5. The Pepsi really does tear other CLs and DDs a new rear end in a top hat though. Main artillery reload down to like 4.5 seconds with the commander slotted :getin:

The Pepsi will pen battleships at max range, and will almost always be able to pen IJN battleships(the Ise and Nagato are oddly lightly armored).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Panfilo posted:

Thank you for the advice.

Do Cruiser and Battleship secondaries get better at higher tiers? I'm on Florida and the problem is that the secondaries have such terrible angles it's hard to get more than 2 aiming at the target. I'm guessing that when I finally get ships that have those twin 5" turrets it'll improve.

I like being able to manually use the secondary guns! Every little extra ounce of lead helps!

Also submarines are fun so far, I have the tier III Japanese one.

The secondaries get a lot better starting at Tier 4. This is one of the reasons you can just ninja the gently caress out of everyone with a t3 DD.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
My Ise BBV trip report is that it owns. Batttleship/Carrier is a lot better a combo than Light Cruiser/Carrier.

The best thing is using torpedo bombers in a battleship duel where he's tunnel visioned.

I am taking it to 5v5s and no one can stop me.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 19, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Night10194 posted:

The Konigs is basically a heavy cruiser with faster firing, less damaging guns that don't get the artillery scope.

Also it dies if you look at it funny with a real gun, but eh.

The problem is CLs don't get high angle shots so they have to go against the belt most of the time.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mazz posted:

5v5s started a few minutes ago, need goons with 6s and 7s if yall want free gold at the end of March.

Nobody's around, heh.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Tryhard carrier tactics involve fighter spam for spotting.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mazz posted:

You should show me, in your Kagero, while I play the SoDak

(Actually you don't have to do that since Panzeh will play his fletcher, get an 8 though)

Yeah a lot of my dodging in a DD is instinct though i'm still working on my skills. It's a lot of fun playing T8s with someone on teamspeak, though. Makes playing randoms a lot less fun.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Burt posted:

I was going to say how hard it is to carry in this game, same as WoWS but then I just saw a tier 2 destroyer get 7 kills in a match. I think it had a lot to do with the other team being bad but even so it was quite a game to just watch.

When you're in t2-3 you can easily get 6-7 kills a game with a DD. It's awesome, but that's why they don't count kills/MVPs below tier 5 for rankings.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Panfilo posted:

Also you are up against tier 2 BBs that tend to be the worst of the lot stat wise not to mention inexperienced or terrible players. Vs a DDs torp wave they are easy pickings.

Tier 2/3 BBs have negligable secondaries and are terrible at being aware of things. Tier 2/3 DDs tend to not use their guns enough or don't dodge much. Tier 2/3 cruisers are rear end.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Night10194 posted:

I do not understand why the Aoba even has Secondaries when it's just 2 lovely 140mms.

The mogami 35 has secondaries despite them being pretty much the same as the main guns.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Night10194 posted:

Later BBs tend to have several destroyers/an entire light cruiser's worth of firepower strapped to them as secondaries.

Yeah, to put it in perspective a SoDak has most of a Brooklyn worth of secondaries, which makes light cruisers mostly worthless.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Night10194 posted:

My first game in the Myoko I picked apart a Pennsylvania, crushed a Nevada, and killed a Northampton.

This constituted killing 3/4 of their team myself. I didn't even come close to running out of ammo. Bote is good.

The Myoko is probably the best IJN CA for its tier in the whole line. It's good at pretty much anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

James Garfield posted:

Nah it's still garbage. The Kongo 1931 is fine with the same slow firing/high damage setup, but the Nagato Proto does less damage for its tier, is slower, and dies faster.
Compared to the Ise you sacrifice a lot of damage over time (Proto does ~10% less damage per minute, and is a tier higher) and your scout plane, and all you get for it is an extra knot and marginally better secondary guns. If the Ise had the same health it would be a much better tier 6 than the Nagato Proto (the BBV is better in every meaningful way, too).

The Nagato Proto might be OK if it had something like 720 damage per bullet, Ersatz Yorck range or noticeably better penetration. Maybe two of the three.

The Ise BBV is the Nagato Proto with torpedo bomber capability.

• Locked thread