Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh man, WoWs taught me a lot of bad habits for this. First round in my destroyer I spot a lone enemy Kawachi. Of course I charge right in, only to be immediately vaporised by about fifty secondaries while managed to get off only one lone torpedo.

Also, for some reason I'm struggling with surprisingly bad performance. I can play WoWs and other comparable games on high details no problem, but here I'm often reduced to just some 30 fps. Any settings in particular I should look out for?

Edit: Oh, also just applied to the fleet, same name as here.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Things I hate: Being ~500 meters away from depth-charging some cheeky enemy sub, only to have a random stray shell knock out my engine. Which leaves me stranded while the sub sloooowly turns around and gleefully torps me from near point-blank range. :argh:

Edit: Also after yesterday we miiiight just wanna rethink that flag.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I Greyhound posted:

Downloading now. When you score hits with dive bombers, do they actually do more than tickle the enemy ship like in WoWs?

After playing a CV for a bit, it seems like dive bombers are decently powerful if rather situational. A single bomb does a decent amount of damage, about 2/3rds that of a torpedo, and the bombers don't appear to need much in the way of a run-up so you can change targets on short notice.

The downside is that the bombs will scatter in an oval that's a little bigger than a BB, so even with an ideal approach there's a chance that they'll just outright miss (though they do at least a little damage even on a near miss). Also, dive bombers appear to be insanely vulnerable to AA fire, I've had whole squads just vaporise attacking just one single isolated BB.

So on the whole, it seems like torpedo bombers are better suited to engaging the enemy line while they're still clustered together from a stand-off range, while dive bombers seem better to finish off damaged and isolated enemies that ideally have their AA weakened.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

After some more testing, it kinda seems like CVs are all around a bit poop right now, at least at lower levels. Planes will die pretty much instantly the moment they get into range of any kind of AA, meaning that all of them are pretty much suicide squadrons.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

An instructive lesson why you should really, really not rush ahead as a cruiser: http://fat.gfycat.com/BoringSmartDodo.webm :stare:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Feindfeuer posted:

So Goons are sailing under the Flag of Kurdistan now? I'm fine with that, certainly cooler than the ISIS flag, but I doubt anyone will recognize it.

The turks certainly won't. :haw:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just like in WoWs, destroyers are pretty much the most fun class of ship. First of all, you get to poo poo all over submarines all the time, which is probably the most satisfying thing to do in the game. Secondly, you can fart out about seven hundred torpedoes whenever there's an opportunity, and there's always an opportunity.

Case in point:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Feindfeuer posted:

Explain Carriers to me, I don't have one yet but I would love to understand the basics before heading into my first round.

Perhaps somebody will manage a more thorough one, but here's a general overview. You can have three squadrons active at a time. You can choose the type of plane for each squadron. So for example you can have three torpedo bomber squads active at the same time, or a mix of one fighter, scout, and dive bomber squad each, or any other combination. You can also choose the number of planes per squadron, but most of the time you'll probably just go with the maximum number unless you want to send a single scout on a suicide run somewhere, or are in a hurry to just get planes in the air asap.

As for resources, you obviously have a limited number of planes per type in reserve, so if all your fighters get shot down then that's that. Planes also have a limited amount of fuel. If they run out completely then they'll just die on the spot, so always make sure to send them back early enough. Lastly you have a deck capacity that determines how many planes you can launch in quick succession. Each plane you launch will use up one capacity, which will slowly recharge at the rate of about one plane each ~10 seconds up to a certain maximum.

You have four types of planes at your disposal: Scouts, Fighters, Torpedo-Bombers and Dive-Bombers.

Scouts are there for spotting both ships and other planes, and are arguably your most important plane type. For one because they allow your team to get a view on the enemies without having to risk themselves, but also because all your other planes have absolute poo poo for spotting range. On their own they won't see anything until they're right on top of it, so it's usually a good idea to have a scout loitering near wherever you're sending your other planes.

Fighters are really straightforward, they just shoot down other planes. Note that enemy planes are actually rather difficult to spot without a scout, so just having a squad of fighters patrolling a flank doesn't guarantee that an enemy squad won't manage to just slip past.

Torpedo-bombers are one of your two options for attacking enemy ships. To make them start an attack run you just click where you want them to drop the torps and drag to set the direction. Their torpedoes tend to have a fairly long activation distance, indicated by the green part of the direction-indicator. The planes need a bit of a run-up to drop their torpedoes, so make sure you place them in such a way that they don't need to turn more than ~45° at the drop point, otherwise they'll circle around and try again.

Dive-Bombers are the alternative way of attacking ships. Their bombs aren't quite as powerful as torpedoes, dealing about 2/3rds of their damage. In return they're much easier to aim, since they don't have an activation distance and don't need a run-up. You can basically tell them to bomb a place right underneath their current position and they'll manage that just fine with no delay at all. The bombs will scatter within a roughly oval pattern that's about the size of a BB, so hitting small ships is a bit of a crapshoot. The long side of the oval is parallel to their flight path, so for best results try to approach a target either from the front or back. Their bombs are supposedly able to damage submerged submarine at the shallow depth, but not deeply submerged ones.

Note that manually targeted AA-fire is ridiculously powerful, to the point where a single destroyer can completely kill any of your squads in two seconds flat. As such it's important to stay away from unoccupied enemies and only move in to attack when you're confident that all enemy ships in range are too busy to actively shoot your planes.

Edit: Welp, most thoroughly beaten :v:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait, that looks like a Nevada Class, but its flying a French flag? Do you get to pick whatever flag you want in this game?

Yeah, you can slap a pretty wide variety of flags on the ships, including a custom one that your ingame fleet/clan can upload.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

"bi" means oval office in chinese

Does this game have the WoWS problem where you get lit on fire for all eternity and there is no other sense of gameplay?

I am confused by my main menu.

No, fire is much more rare than in WoWS and also not nearly as devastating. So far I'd say I got set on fire maybe one out of every five games. In the same vein, there's no being spammed to death by streams of small-calibre HE fire. If the shot doesn't penetrate, it just won't do any meaningful damage whatsoever. Having played both, so far I certainly prefer this game to WoWS.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

FebrezeNinja posted:

I suddenly found myself close to an enemy sub between sonar pings. so i dove and rammed him mid-dive.

As you can see from the throttle, we are completely stuck together. When I went to periscope depth a few seconds later it dragged him up too. I should have let him drown in the deeps, because some torpedo bombers hit us, killing me and leaving him at 16 hp. Then someone torpedoed him.

Yeah, I had the same thing happening when ramming a surfaced sub in a destroyer. It just stuck to me and I dragged it along, but I couldn't steer until I hit the reverse to untangle us again. On that note, always ram submarines if you have the opportunity in a bigger ship, it does major damage to them and they're so tiny that you barely suffer any in return.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Rad Russian posted:

I think they role split the ships better than any other similar games out there. Although 50% of playerbase are subs right now haha. I think it's due to the fact that it's a new fun concept, they don't seem to be OP.

Yeah. Subs, if played well, are a pretty hard counter to BBs and CVs, which is a good and useful niche. But cruisers (at least of the light variety) and especially destroyers are small and nimble enough to evade their torpedoes all day and hunt them down pretty easily, especially if they have torpedoes themselves in addition to the depth charges. It's just really difficult to score a torp hit on something that's much quicker than you and is actively evading. Case in point: http://giant.gfycat.com/ResponsibleElaborateAsianconstablebutterfly.webm :smugdog:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

hahahahahahahahaha WELCOME TO THE SUB ZONE

Hmmm, I can't really remember what Dönitz looked like, let's see...

Jup, checks out.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just a heads-up: If you try to buy something with silver but don't have enough, the game will offer to automatically convert gold to silver to afford it. So make sure not to blindly click through the dialogue windows and accidentally waste gold this way.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

How not to BB:

Never stopping

Never moving

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

Just as a friendly reminder if you nailed a sub with one torpedo and your sub has full health ramming them will kill them.

Basically always be ramming subs whenever the opportunity presents itself. Your speed barely seems to matter, even just a glancing love-tap from a CL may instantly kill them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

:crossarms:

Are you... are you sure about that, game?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

No matter how hard you try, some teams are just determined to lose.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

organburner posted:

Man trying to play this from EU is a pain, takes a looong time before your cannons actually fire.
Is there a EU server?

Not currently, no. Though personally I've found it to be perfectly playable even with ~150ms pings. Just make sure to lead a little extra and you'll be fine.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

Thanksgiving Day GIFT!!!
Dear captains,

In order to appreciate your support to Steel Ocean, any player who logins on Thanksgiving Day (Nov. 26th) will get the Thanksgiving Day gift pack.

The gift pack contains:

Adv. Smoke Bomb*5
Adv. Extinguisher*5
Adv. Repair Kit*5
Gold*500
Silver*50,000

You will get them in two days after your login by in-game email.

Please do not forget to play tomorrow.

Oh nice, 500 gold's just enough for another ships slot. Yet another line for me that I can't advance on because I don't have enough silver :suicide:. On that note, do we already have some estimation what the best/worst ways to spend small sums of gold are? Gold ammo an consumables seem like far and away the worst, but what about camo or flags?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

:feelsgood:

The Hatsuharu seems to be a particularly good submarine hunter. It's got its depth-charge launchers on either side of the ship, instead of both side-by-side at the back. That gives you much more in the way of possible approaches to depth-charge a fucker. The fairly powerful guns sure don't hurt either.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ratzap posted:

The tutorial stops after two parts? It keeps telling me to go back to port for a commander but it hasn't given me one?

Further parts of the tutorial will be unlocked as you fulfill certain prerequisites. You'll get the submarine-tutorial when you buy a submarine, the carrier-tutorial when you buy a carrier, and so on.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

kalven posted:

How do you get merit points? Only way i have seen to get them is to do missions but since they cut they 15 wins a day merit thing there doesnt really seem to be a good way of getting it. Iam just 90 merit points of buying the 10 commander package so iam pretty annoyed they cut it.

There's another currently ongoing mission for killing 3 american ships a day (called "Tora Tora Tora", I think), which gives 90 merit per completion. It's not much, but I guess it's something.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

I love it when the enemy ships stop in nice clusters so I can introduce them to 2.1K damage torpedoes. :getin:

Yeah, I've had it happen a few times that I'd be in a sub and launch a spread of torps at max range at a random stationary BB to force it to maneuver, only to receive confirmation of a kill two minutes later.

Speaking of BBs, it does annoy me a bit that they usually tend to make up the majority of a given lineup. In most matches I look at 4-6 BBs but only 1-2 DDs and CVs/CAs each. With a makeup like that there's often fairly little to do for the smaller ships but to mercilessly get dunked on the moment they're spotted without doing much of anything.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Panzeh posted:

If you do something other than go in a straight line it's very hard for BBs to hit you until you're in torpedo range.

Eh, just getting into torpedo range isn't everything. Especially as a CL when you actually want to do your job (i.e. going after DDs and the occasional SS) getting into range with your targets means being within range of the enemy BBs. So half the time rather than engaging the enemy smaller ships yourself, you're driving in serpentines or circles to avoid their heavy artillery and hope that your BBs kill them faster than theirs can you.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Even without Hedgehogs the british DCs are pretty hilarious. The T3 DD launches two at the back like usual, but two more are launched about a ship-length away to either side. I dunno if I'll every actually manage to hit something with that, but it sure gives you a much larger threat radius against deep subs.

Also, Pubbies.jpg:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Panzeh posted:

The T3-4 light cruisers that aren't the Atlanta are total dogshit.

True. At least the T5 Königsberg is quite decent. Those triple-turrets really can put down destroyers in a hurry, and for the first time in that chain you actually have a reasonable amount of torps.

Edit: Ahaha what the hell, apparently that same Königsberg's piddly 150mm guns have absolutely no problem penetrating an Ise's armour almost every time.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

That Jerk Steve posted:

It's the worst when you and an allied DD are trying to dunk a sub in a confined area and another DD blows his entire torp load at you all from 3.5km away thinking he's helping the situation.

Using depth charges on a sub are so satisfying, but if there is another DD ally anywhere close I just don't bother anymore. The chucklefucks always wait until im quarter speed and right over the sub before blowing 12 torps in my face.

Then to rub it in they yell at you for being in the way of their torps. :suicide:

It's even better when you get dunked by friendly BBs that decide a tiny sub with a friendly destroyer right next to it would absolutely be the best target for their primary battery. Especially if that destroyer is just about to ram the sub to death :suicide:

• Locked thread