Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
Hillary Clinton
Bernie Sanders
Martin O'Malley
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

dont blame me i voted for omalley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I like it when all of these flat little lizards come out of the woodwork when things like these happen.

There are only two things that can come out of the Paris attacks: fascism and the tangible benefits of hating immigrants.

but these guys have to earn votes from the american electorate at some point so they cant just not vilify the Other

if you don't at least offer a credible threat to respond to murder with murder and perpetuate the cycle you're not a viable candidate for president

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I'm depressed

good

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

stephenfry posted:

its very appropriate

yeah as long as we're talking about sadness re: opinions and world realities and not harming self or others i think it helps one cope in the long run

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

im ignorant of every particular but im guessing the 'republican strategist' was some green room warrior who knows how to say poo poo that gets him back on tv, and that's the be all and end all of his comments

the fact that multiple possible rationales exist for his comments just means he's done a fairly good job at getting himself back on tv

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

babypolis posted:

well rite now they are discussing the importance of social media and some bullshit about how Bernie doesnt listen to twitter, whatever the gently caress that means. I cant roll my eyes hard enough

honestly just as advice from one human to another i would suggest changing the channel

i like sports but you could watch some other bullshit too

liga mx gets coverage here now but i dont have a real good sense of who the teams are and what all the clausuras and aperturas and liguillas and poo poo really mean. i can wikipedia it but id love a solid review show. probably i get one

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

Oh god this is going to backfire on the Bernie campaign so loving badly :cripes:

nah dude he won. 'let's just say we won' he said it himself, that settles it

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

babypolis posted:

clausura and apertura are just different names for fall and spring seasons. liguilla is the playoffs. you can support anyone who isnt America

when i was in denver on federal blvd where the mexicans live there was a car repair shop called 'america [car repair or w/e]' with a surely authorized club logo painted on the side of their building. thats all i had to say about that

edit: never mind im full of poo poo they have their own logo https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7337536,-105.0251723,3a,75y,253.57h,68.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8ZS-pmij_f14XdzhI7EkDA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

basically i should delete this comment and replace it with a single '.'

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 02:20 on Nov 15, 2015

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

FuriousxGeorge posted:

That isn't a conspiracy. It's just what happened. Why else do you think they intentionally scheduled the debates when nobody would be watching?

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2015/11/12/9699836/democratic-debate-schedule

to maximize the democratic party's chances of winning the general election, im guessing

edit: please dont watch political debates

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

politics aren't what you want them to be, they're what a bunch of old people you don't respect who don't even pay attention want them to be

esp bc this is loving cbs

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Jewel Repetition posted:

Then how do you explain Trump?

that's just picking a group of unrespectable old people and enjoying their politics for great irony, it short-circuits my argument. so fair enough. you win.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i suspect that most people dont pay anywhere near enough attention to be affected by pre/post-debate maneuvering by the lovely little staffers whose job it is to whine about this poo poo, similar things were done by various gop candidates' staffers before their debates and i don't think those situations were prominently cited in the analyses of the public post-debate reaction

edit: vvvv good point. watch that game instead of the debate, or any other. or whatever tv show yall tv show people watch on saturday nights

or i dunno read a book? or torrent all the calvin and hobbeses and read them? just spitballin here

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Nov 15, 2015

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

watching debates is actually bad

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

He never got a second day :(

he and we deserve metric days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImEMk6tKEQU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Except for those ones he did vote for

if the murderers didnt have some level of trust for bernie he wouldnt have been allowed to get this far

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Is there a reason to watch this? Is it going to be entertaining without trump/carson?

no

no

no no no no no non on on on on on o non o no no no no no no non ononono nonononono

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

I'm drinking a Stone brewery Double Bastard Ale.

i just finished a 1.5l bottle of red wine

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'll have you know there is a very important football game going on in Iowa City tonight.

it's 14-17! big ten network

i watched 45 seconds of the debate and it wasnt worth commenting upon

another good game is baylor-oklahoma on abc. also memphis-houston on espn2 should be entertaining. oregon-stanford on fox is a shootout too

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

hillary doesnt need to take the wind out of bernie's sails, she has more supporters than him

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

polls say whatever you want them to say and the 'progressive change institute' wanted them to say it's popular

ima link politifact here http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2014/may/14/ralph-nader/70-years-most-americans-have-supported-single-paye/ not to say their conclusion is right but to provide a repository of a variety of links to polling showing a variety of different responses to this question, as evidence that no single poll is meaningful in isolation

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

spoon0042 posted:

smoke weed

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Bad Caller posted:

Doesn't Rhode Island benefit from it by giving them more power in the senate

like all politics it had to do with long-forgotten specific concerns, apparently the specific reason was about paper money from googling

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the memphis-houston game is getting good

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

oregon-stanford is coming right up to the finish on fox right now, stanford shooting for a td then they'd need the 2pt conversion

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Regis Christ posted:

I wish Gus Johnson could moderate a debate.

as always he had a great call for the touchdown pass and the batted down 2pt conversion pass

he could stump the trump im sure of it

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Ralp posted:

I'm going to write a coming-of-age novel set during this debate wherein a goon comes to terms with the realization that he was never really in love with Bernie Sanders, he was in love with the idea of Bernie Sanders.

and then he doesnt vote in 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Mitt Romney posted:

I also think Joementum is right again that she did give up a couple bad soundbites for general election ads.

meanwhile even the most 'electable' establishment candidate on the other side has said 'you gotta kill baby hitler'

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Bad Caller posted:

I'm honestly worried a Republican will win just because of so many of the Democratic base not being all that for Hillary

Like yeah she'll win the primary but she could lose a general from voter apathy and a republican candidate is just asking for more dead americans

that's just the nature of the current democratic coalition, it's got the high-apathy high-cynicism groups and that always gives republicans an advantage

obviously it's easy to find examples of people who will be happy to hand the white house to republicans rather than vote for hillary but they've always been there and while there's a non-zero amount of them i think they're vastly overrepresented in the online nerd demographic and outside of that and a handful of other groups this primary has really not been very bitter at all

but the problem you identify will be real until the next time the two parties realign

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Tigntink posted:

I dunno man, I'm in Seattle and even at 14$ an hour I was having to split a 2 bedroom apartment with 3 people in order to live and I was even living in the exburbs. Maybe not across the board 15$ an hour but many cities definitely need it. This was in 2006-2009 so before the major cost inflation we've had recently.

Also don't forget that living paycheck to paycheck isn't really living. In the US if you are paycheck to paycheck, you're one single accident from being on the street thanks to our awesome healthcare system.

to combat this youve gotta fight the nimby rich fucks who drive up housing prices and perpetuate urban sprawl by refusing to countenance the possibility of poor people living anywhere near them

those people have the explicit goal of keeping property expensive and rents high in big cities and no minimum wage can help deal with that

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ike would've killed baby hitler

he sure as hell killed Eddie Slovik

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

democrats really need to intentionally lose the 2016 elections then stonewall the president so he's really unpopular in 2018 so they can win lots of state legislatures and governorships and gerrymander the house of representatives in the redistricting phase after the next census so the next democratic president can ever have any hope of passing any of their campaign promises through congress

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Tigntink posted:

You've gotta start high and bargain. Everyone knows that the republicans are going to start off no matter what by saying X number is too high, come down. So then if you start high you might be able to get what you wanted or a little below.

youve also gotta get elected by the same electorate that sends all those republicans into office though, just saying 9999999999999999999999999 and waiting to be negotiated down is therefore not optimal

the argument about X vs X+Y is more about positioning so the no-hope candidates can look good to their liberal donor base while the yes-hope candidate gets to look like the moderate for all the idiots who need to actually vote for the d in like 51 weeks

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, if you're still watching CBS you're seeing a Bob Hope infomercial.

this is the world that most voters live in

we do not and can not understand them

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

stephenfry posted:

and under clinton's batting average, the 12usd ~compromise of compromises~ would only resurface in 2023 to be defeated among party-wide proclamations of "welp"

the entire discussion is hypothetical anyway, the republicans will control the house of representatives for the foreseeable future so none of the poo poo these candidates talked about will happen in any event

dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

stephenfry posted:

when are the polls predicting turnout going to appear

then we can continue this argument

really we wont know poo poo until after the election and me saying something 'will' happen is horseshit

here's my stupid little argument just for the hell of it

the median house district was 7% more republican than the national popular vote in the 2012 presidential election. you've got to see an '08-level margin (obama beat mccain by 7.3%) plus a bit more to deal with the advantages of incumbency and ticket splitting in places like upstate new york, long island, maine, rural minnesota, i guess that's almost the whole list of places that still vote republican for congress but democratic for president, ticket splitting is a pretty small issue these days, as a basic rule of thumb if you want democrats to control the house. it could happen - maybe dr ben carson loses to hillary by 15% i dont loving know - but i am guessing that it will not. even if it did it'd be awfully tough to hold on to marginal seats in the midterm when democratic voters wander off

the senate is another issue, 2018 sees a bunch of democrats in states that romney won in 2012 running for reelection in a midterm with the democratic coalition almost certain to fall a few % points below their presidential year benchmarks and it'll be really hard for democrats not to lose a bunch of seats. it's really hard to predict senate poo poo though, democrats held it for a few cycles when early predictions would've handed it to republicans recently, they had some historically terrible candidates thanks to the tea party beating the establishment in primaries. might happen again, might not

and sure maybe bernie changes everything but people say that kind of thing whenever it's convenient and it usually doesn't happen. i remember one poll i dug into had more than half of the respondents say they didnt recognize the name joe biden, the voting public has almost nothing to do with the information-world and consequent opinions/assumptions/arguments we all take for granted as the prerequisite of political discussion

also here's a fun little factoid: the same 2014 arkansas electorate that voted for an increase in the state minimum wage by a 32% margin also voted for an all-republican congressional delegation by margins of 17% (senate), 31%, 8%, 59%, and 11% (house). im not doing the research but i doubt any of those winning candidates supported a raise in the minimum wage* http://ballotpedia.org/Arkansas_Minimum_Wage_Initiative,_Issue_5_%282014%29 http://ballotpedia.org/United_States_Senate_elections_in_Arkansas,_2014 http://ballotpedia.org/United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections_in_Arkansas,_2014 voters are just stupid assholes and nothing makes sense. dehumanize, bloodshed, blablabla

*the raise was of course only to $8.50 by 2017 so maybe a third of arkansans are cool with 8 bucks an hour and not cool with 12, but really i dont think most voters even look at the numbers. this is the kind of sentiment that helps poll numbers on the minimum wage but it sure as hell doesnt help minimum wage get votes in congress

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 06:53 on Nov 15, 2015

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

you could call med school, law school, engineering, architecture, accounting, research and development, so on, so forth, vocational schools, the only reason we dont is classism. the white vs blue collar distinction

basically 'STEM' is a classist way to say 'vocational school for jobs that make you prestigious'

hillary doesnt care about the concerns that are being raised wrt this point of hers and neither do most voters, she just likes winning debates and they just like simple arguments involving names they recognize and dont like

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

but it being difficult to fix does mean that if one team tries the other team has to nitpick and stonewall and come up with creepy little lies and make political hay while the creepy making-profit-off-of-human-suffering-using-lies-sun shines

thats one of the preconditions that decides which issues the political elite will put on the table in any given generation and which theyll shove into a cubbyhole somewhere to accumulate cobwebs while millions of lives are squandered

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i remember years ago seeing an article about some girl who was i believe the valedictorian of DC's worst public high school. she figured 'oh ok i must be smart enough', enrolled in montgomery county community college in maryland, and flunked out in the first semester. she had excelled at everything that was presented to her and she was completely unprepared for community college

which is one of the reasons dc has all those charter schools. my impression of them, never having gone into one but having lived near a few of them, is that they give the poor kids with parents who will put in the time a leg up while grinding the kids with parents who aren't there even further into the muck, all while making sure that a bunch of rich people get to profit off the process. it's creepy and exploitative but the parents driving their kids across town to a school that might teach them how to read probably are just glad they're getting a chance at all

but then again im ignorant so

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

we all hate it but she might have made the conscious choice to do it, and maybe itll even work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

It actually gets implemented by the courts. At least it did in those two states.

according to the first citation in that wikipedia article, the courts made their Abbott v. Burke decision based on an amendment to the state constitution, which was made by a democratically controlled state legislature

edit: ok it was in 1875 i just realized. no idea which party controlled the jersey state legislature in 1875. this impacts the validity of my point

BUT if your state constitution doesn't have something implying everybody deserves an equal education you're going to need a state legislature that's not just democratic in party affiliation but also isn't beholden to the 'gently caress you got mine' rich to give the courts the texts they need to implement this reform

oh and the constituency of the political groups impacts the political opinions of the old people in robes who get to determine how we live and die, even in states where said berobed olds aren't elected, insanely

here's the citation link http://blog.nj.com/ledgerarchives/2011/05/the_history_of_abbott_v_burke.html

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 22:21 on Nov 15, 2015

• Locked thread