Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ugh, seeing these last few updates are giving me nasty flashbacks to when I was trying to count and unlock everything in this game. IT WAS HELL.

I'm so glad the EO games have been cracked and I'll never have to do something like that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

On the one hand, all the fog-based puzzles are a cool idea. On the other hand, gently caress those petaloids... And every part of the fog puzzles I guess. Hope they don't make a return, turning off the map is always a pain in the rear end.

Also, here, have another character submission:

Name: Shin
Class: Masurao
Portrait: 3B, Skin: 4th, bottom row, Hair: 5th, top row.
Voice: Confident

Shin was the best swordsman of his age group, easily the ace Therian warrior in his tribe. He picked up the sword as soon as he was able to walk, and managed to make a name for himself at the young age of 15. He wandered around the mountains of his home and bested every swordsman he found, and, with it, his ego inflated heavily. A few years later he managed to be known as one of the swordsman in his land. So with this reputation and confidence, he left the mountains to find stronger opponents. Unfortunately, being so used to the swordsmanship that Therians utilize, Shin found himself humiliated more often than not against the other ways of sword-fighting, especially against those drat Fencers. Soon he was the laughing stock of most swordsmen outside of his home. Undaunted and still overconfident, he left for Aeolis after hearing the announcement for challenging Yggdrasil. Not to actually challenge the labyrinth, moreso to understand how these Earthrun swordsmen manage to beat him so handily (he thinks it's their hair, but he wouldn't admit it). But, hey, if he could pick up some glory too, that'd be just as expected. :smug:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 69: Vegicide and Regicide (Lumen vs. Frost King and Thunder Queen)

So where are you and Colette going after everything's done?
Etria! There's some really ancient ruins there that Colette wants to investigate.
Can I go with you and Colette?
...Uh, I wouldn't mind, but she probably would. Why do you ask?
I don't wanna live in the Labyrinth any more. It's boring now.
Don't you have, like, a home to go back to?
Nah, that's boring too.
I'll...ask everyone else if you can go with them. I wouldn't get your hopes too high, though...

Today's update consists of clearing up one annoying loose end and taking on the scrapped Ginnungagap bosses. Let's get to it, then.

That annoying loose end is killing one of these fuckers.

Cursed Pumpkin
HP: 18418, STR: 81, TEC: 84, VIT: 65, AGI: 49, LUC: 67
Skills:
  • Terror Pain: Uses the head. Deals 90% ranged TEC-based almighty damage to every party member. Attempts to inflict fear on hit targets, with a 60% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • Absorb Vine: Uses the arms. Deals 25% melee STR-based TP damage to one target. Has no speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Pale Bone. 90% chance. Sells for 6690 en. 1 needed to make Cursed Sword (+189 ATK, +20 HP). 3 needed to make Hex Armor (+100 DEF, +40 TP).
    "Piece of a horn from a Cursed Pumpkin's head. Unnerving to touch, so most keep away."
  • Conditional: Poison Pumpkin (Kill with poison damage). 100% chance. Sells for 17500 en. 1 needed to make Formaldehyde (Gives all drops of any enemy killed on turn of use).
    "Pumpkin with poison coursing through it. Certain medicine can be made from it."
  • Ingredient: Blue Pumpkin. 1-3 given. 1 needed to make Pumpkin Pie (Western Food 6; restores 15% damage dealt as TP). 1 needed to make Eastern Nishime (Japanese Food 6; all FOE and boss encounters, with a few exceptions, become preemptives).
    "The innards are blue as well."
Damage resistances:
0% 0% 0% 150% 150% 150%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 50% 50% 50% 0% 25%
10% 10% 10%
25% 25% 25%

A three-headed pumpkin. Weaken it before you strike!

So, yeah, we've seen a bit of these things already. Purely physical damage is completely worthless against them, so bring along your War Magi, Alchemists, and Fafnir if you have one.

Also, gently caress THAT CONDITIONAL. By this point in the game, it's almost as bad as "kill with curse damage," since even a level 20 Venom Curse with the 2x Poison Damage food can only do so much. I'm going to be blunt here: I do not care about getting this conditional legitimately, so I'm just going to use a Formaldehyde.

Mmmm. It tastes like a candy pumpkin.

At least between Colette, Ranger, and Stardust, killing this thing shouldn't take too long.

Oh, those long arms...are good for something...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

In case this thing breaks out of the panic, I bind its head to put a stop to Terror Pain. At least Absorb Vine's annoying at worst and pointless at best.

Eh, with a Volt Prelude on Colette, this should take maybe another two turns or so, even with Stardust dead.

Yes, I forgot to pack some Nectars, and can't revive her.

I've talked quite a lot towards the end of the LP about how much I value Stardust, but Sophie deserves special mention too. Creeping Curse just makes inflicting disables so easy, and disables take so much of the pain of postgame FOEs and bosses away.

Fun fact: Creeping Curse makes a return in EO5, kinda. It's a Union skill now (think Limit skills from EO3), only increases inflict chances by 2x, and only lasts for one turn, though. It also requires draining 4 party members' Union gauges.

Anyway, yeah, Cursed Pumpkin drops.

Cursed Sword (+189 ATK, +20 HP) is unlocked by selling 1 Pale Bone.

Formaldehyde (Gives all drops of any enemy killed on turn of use) is made from 1 Poison Pumpkin.

It was at this point that I took the time to do a little grinding, since the rate at which you gain EXP from the Forbidden Wood starts to lag behind a little what the game expects for end-postgame bosses.

Brr.
I k-kinda wish my robes were thicker...

Let's take care of Winter's Harbinger, shall we?

SYSTEM: Normally, the air would be filled with beautiful pink blossoms, but instead a relentless snowfall is drifting down! Gazing around at the curious anomaly, you hear a familiar voice echo from above...

Guild Lumen. It seems you accepted our request.
That we did.
I'm certain you've heard already. The one that brings winter wherever it goes... We have decided to call it the Frost King. The closer one goes to the beast, the fiercer the cold becomes. The plants in this warm forest are even beginning to freeze over. We attempted to banish it ourselves...but we could not even reach the creature.
Y-you guys don't really seem like the fighting kind, anyway.
Is it a matter of how strong this Frost King is, or is it a matter of how harsh the blizzard is?
SYSTEM: Taking note of Canaan's grave and serious demeanor, you inquire as to the severity of the snowfall near the monster.
Well...actually, it isn't necessarily severe. It's just that... We do not...handle the cold well.
W-when you wear as little as I do, that c-can't be helped.
Indeed. I'm glad that you understand... Even now, I... I feel all but frozen.
SYSTEM: He nods to you, appreciating your apparent understanding. Despite his proud posture, you notice he is shivering... He seems very cold.
I have heard that the earthbound ones are strong against the cold. Thus, I believe you can successfully reach the Frost King. May I borrow your map? According to our investigation, it seems it's holding position somewhere around...here.

Well then, I bid you good luck.

Well, that's not a very long walk.

Also, yes, 18F's appearance changes while Winter's Harbinger is active. You have a blue tinge layered over your viewport, and the snowfall particles from the Frozen Grounds replace the falling petals.

SYSTEM: The closer you get, the lower the temperature drops. It is just as Canaan said... This must be the Frost King!
H-how is he even d-doing this? He's just s-standing there.
M-magic.
SYSTEM: When the monster notices your presence, it growls lowly, coldly glaring in your direction! Now, take your weapons in hand and fulfill your duty! Slay the monster that calls forth winter!

:siren: VIDEO: Boss Fight: Frost King :siren:

Frost King
HP: 32500, STR: 82, TEC: 63, VIT: 64, AGI: 40, LUC: 58
Skills:
  • Avalanche: Uses the head. Deals 400% ranged TEC-based ice damage to each party member. Has an 80% speed modifier and 150 base accuracy.
  • Soul Freeze: Uses the head. Deals 10 instances of 150% (if the Frost Armor is dead) or 600% (if the Frost Armor is alive) ranged TEC-based ice damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has a 50% speed modifier. Has 110 base accuracy if the Frost Armor is dead, 150 if it is alive.
  • Pile Bunker: Uses the arms. Deals 160% melee STR-based bash damage to one target, with line-piercing effect. Attempts to bind hit targets' heads, with a 50% base chance. Has no speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Buster Arm: Uses the arms. Deals melee 180% STR-based bash damage to one target, with splash damage. Has a 70% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Crystal Scar: Uses the legs. Purges all buffs from one party member, and reduces their physical/elemental defense by 20% for 4 turns. Has no speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: King Plate. 100% chance. Sells for 20000 en. 1 needed to make Ice Crown (+41 DEF, -30 action speed, can be equipped by Beasts).
    "Thick chest place of the Frost King. It's so big, carrying it will be troublesome."
  • Conditional: Bound Ice Arm (Kill while arms are bound). 100% chance. Sells for 41000 en. 1 needed to make Arm Shield (+84 DEF, +50% ice resistance, -50% fire resistance).
    "The bound arm of the Frost King, now still. It can no longer strike down any innocents."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 125% 0% 100%
Disable resistances:
25% 75% 25% 50% 25% 0% 25%
0% 0% 10%
25% 25% 50%

A high monarch of frost, wielding ice not only as a weapon but also as his impenetrable defense.

And because we won't actually get to see it, the Frost Armor's stats:

[NO IMAGE]
Frost Armor
HP: 8000, STR: 82, TEC: 63, VIT: 64, AGI: 40, LUC: 58
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 150% 0% 100%
Disable resistances:
0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%

Frost King is, honestly, a pretty boring boss fight. There's nothing that really stands out about him aside from the Frost Armor having a whopping 1/4 of the Frost King's max HP.

To that end... Honestly, I'm sure you can guess how this boss fight's going to go: Sophie inflicts panic and then arm bind, Milly stacks up the same buffs as normal, Colette, Ranger, and Stardust all unload whatever they have, the Frost King dies in 4 turns.

As much as I like EO2U, I do have to admit that postgame boss fights do tend to boil down to "either disable the boss or run an extreme risk of your party getting killed by extremely high damage you can't do much to prevent."

If you really want to see the actual fight in action, go watch the video.

SYSTEM: In its place, a warm, gentle breeze blows through the area... Sophie calls out in surprise, pointing towards the trees in the area.
Look, they're all turning back to normal!
SYSTEM: As if beckoned by the changing winds, the buds on the trees blossom one by one, and their vivid color returns to them! Wafting on the new winds, the soft aroma of fresh flowers fills the room... As you gaze at the flowers, you hear the familiar sound of flapping wings.

Mm... Yes, this temperature feels most pleasant.
SYSTEM: Canaan inhales, slowly and steadily, then exhales with a satisfied expression. He then turns to face you.
Once again, I must thank fate for your intervention. Some among our clan had already fallen ill due to the cold. We have sent a token of our gratitude to the establishment you call a bar. When you return to town, please find it there... But indeed, this exchange of tokens, and the strange garb you call "clothing"... Earthbound ones truly are bizarre.
I guess if you do look at it from a simple point of view, it can seem strange.
Oh? So you follow a path that even you yourself believe strange. Hmm... The earthbound ones are truly intriguing. Well then, Guild Lumen. May the blessings of Father Sun and Mother Moon be upon you.

Nice goin'. So, a monster was really bringin' winter down on a normally warm stratum, eh...?
That went way beyond winter.
Geh. Makes me shiver just thinkin' about it. I've been through a couple High Lagaard winters--the cold can be real rough. Though if there's a monster that makes things cold...there's gotta be a counterpart that makes things feel warm! Hey, if yeh lot find a monster like that, then yeh gotta let me know, awright?
...Any particular reason why?
Ain't it obvious why? If I get a monster like that in here, I can say goodbye to my heatin' bills! Firewood costs an arm and a leg these days, yeh know. Much cheaper to just get some monster feed! Haw haw haw! Here, take yer reward! Remember, if yeh find a monster that makes it feel like summertime, I've got first dibs!

Nectar IIs are a pretty nice reward, since you have to make them from Profound Fruits otherwise, which are the rare material from Take points in the Forbidden Wood.

Too bad the Frost King's drops don't really make anything good.

Ice Crown (+41 DEF, -30 action speed, can be equipped by Beasts) is unlocked by selling 1 King Plate. Genuinely don't know why you'd want this, since there's even other helmets that outclass it in terms of DEF.

Arm Shield (+84 DEF, +50% ice resistance, -50% fire resistance) is made from 1 Bound Ice Arm. By this point in the game, there's really nothing left where this could even be slightly useful.

Anyway, Thunder Queen's Legacy.

SYSTEM: ...Do you remember the request you accepted at the bar? An unfamiliar monster appeared in the forest, and is now running rampant... According to the request's information, it's extremely likely that this unknown threat is up ahead. If you plan on proceeding on, you will need to exercise extra caution. If you are resolved to confront this vicious monster, then proceed onward!

What a welcoming host.

Perhaps we should move instead of making quips!

SYSTEM: You barely manage to dodge, but you can feel its trailing heat scald you even in passing. Its power must be immense... What shot that arrow... appears to be a grotesquely fused being, comprised of both humanoid and equine form. You've never seen a creature like this before... It is clear that this is the beast you have come to slay! To defeat the monster, you must evade its deadly barrages of arrows! Ready your weapons, and confront the creature!

Thunder Queen's gimmick is that she fires an arrow that pushes you back to the left wall and hurts the party for 100 HP. You have to snake your way through all those piles of rubble that I already mapped out.

Fetus already mapped out the path to her in his DLC update, so I'll just piggyback off it.

:siren: VIDEO: Boss Fight: Thunder Queen :siren:

Thunder Queen
HP: 58000, STR: 90, TEC: 72, VIT: 62, AGI: 55, LUC: 60
Skills:
  • Electric Arrow: Used at the end of a turn. Uses the arms. At the end of the next turn, deals 600% ranged TEC-based volt damage to each party member. Has 75 base accuracy.
  • Plasma Shot: Uses the head. Deals 4 instances of 180% ranged TEC-based volt damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Attempts to inflict paralysis on hit targets, with a 15% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 110 base accuracy.
  • Volt Shot: Uses the arms. Deals 250% ranged TEC-based volt damage to one party member, with line-piercing effect. Has an 80% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • Lightspeed: Uses the legs. Deals 180% melee STR-based bash damage to each party member. Lowers hit targets' non-base evasion by 500 for 6 turns.
  • Spindrift: Uses the legs. Deals 240% melee STR-based bash damage to one row. Attempts to bind hit targets' legs, with a 50% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 110 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Electric Ring. 100% chance. Sells for 24000 en. 1 needed to make Swift Shoes (+35 DEF, +10 action speed).
    "A wheel used by the Thunder Queen to move. It may be useful for transportation."
  • Conditional: Confusing Bow (Kill while panicked). 100% chance. Sells for 48000 en. 1 needed to make Thunder God Bow (+190 ATK, +5 Force gain).
    "Bow dropped by the queen when confused. Normally inseparable from the body."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 125% 0%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 50% 25% 25% 0% 25%
0% 0% 10%
25% 50% 25%

A high monarch of thunder, raining lightning bolts down upon intruders at blinding speeds.

Another boring boss. Thunder Queen, if you don't disable her, is a damage race: how quickly can you burst her down before she bursts you down?

Didn't bring a Protector? Too bad, enjoy guaranteed death to Electric Arrow unless you have a Beast use True Endurance. Electric Arrow got used again after that? Too bad, gently caress you, enjoy your game over.

I got frustrated enough with dying to random bullshit even through panic that I did the unspeakable:

My mouth feels...tingly...

Yep, I brought out Stigmata again. Ecstasy, too, later in the fight. I make no apologies for this, since the battle's still boring even without it, this just removes the chance of me dying to stupid bullshit I couldn't stop even with Phoebe or Ursa.

Again, if you actually want to see the fight, go watch the video. Dissecting and writing stuff for essentially the same pattern of actions over and over gets really tiresome after a while.

SYSTEM: The Thunder Queen that drove back countless guards and explorers has fallen at your hands. You have successfully completed the request. Return to the bar when you have time and report this in!

Whoa!? Yeh came back safely! Hey, show me yer feet... Good, they're still attached! Haw! I'm drat glad to see yeh come back safely! Still, I wonder why that thing suddenly showed up...? Hope we don't have to worry about anythin' else doin' that... Welp! We'll worry about it when it happens. Besides, yeh lot can take care of it, so we'll be fine! Oh, I almost forgot--yer reward. Here, take it. Don't worry, I made sure the Grand Duchy ponied up somethin' nice for yeh. Ain't yeh gonna thank me? Haw haw haw!

Three Amrita IIs is a really nice reward, and it means I can just set the difficulty to Picnic and auto-battle the Thunder Queen to death instead of having to kill more goddamn Petaloids.

...I, uh, kind of forgot to sell the drops in the raw footage. Oops. You can see the items up there anyway, but I'll give my opinions anyway:

The Swift Shoes are actually pretty drat good, and can help quite a bit with ensuring supports like Hexers act before enemies.

The Thunder God Bow is...less good. Force gain isn't really that great of a bonus for any class that can use bows, in my opinion--you could make an argument that having Illusion Step more in the lategame is good for Survivalists due to the evasion bonus working well with Chain Dance, but eh. It also gives slightly less damage than the Zamiel Bow does, as well as not giving a TP or LUC bonus.

That's all for this brief, repetitive update. Next time: the last major boss of the game before the superboss--Great Dragon.

I will preemptively state: no, gently caress that, I'm not fighting that thing fairly. I am going to cheese him like I did Thunder Queen, and when you see his stats and skills and his loving Red Heart, you will understand why.

Rea fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 2, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
(This will be posted after every EO2U update until the LP is finished.)

This is your regular reminder that early EO5 character submissions are still open. For reference, we currently have the following submissions for each class:

Fencer: Aniodia's Anya (1B)
Dragoon: BlackPersona's Nolan (3B), Grashbar's Sheila (2A)
Cestus: Level Seven's Duke (3B), Tyty's Jill (2A), GeminiSun's Amelie (Earthrun F)
Reaper: Dr. Fetus's Raven (1A), Tyty's Teyla (4A)
Warlock: AweStriker's Nille (4B), Aniodia's Kaelin (3A), theshim's Aurora (4A)
Necromancer: blizzardvizard's Jude (1A)
Hound: Kemix's Ritz (1B), GeminiSun's Kaede (1A), mischievousart's Gram (4B)
Masurao: GeminiSun's Momoka (1A), BlackPersona's Shin (3B)
Shaman: Dr. Fetus's Gabbo (1A)
Herbalist: Dr. Fetus's Wanna (4B), FriskyBoat's Dak (3A), mischeviousart's Caleb (3A)

(alcharagia's Warlock is not listed because, being one of the co-authors of the LP, she is disqualified. Her entry was merely meant to stir up creativity.)

Want to get in on submitting your own character if you haven't yet? The EO5 intro update is over here, and character creation info is here. Remember to provide a voice for your character (I forgot to put that in the creation info), which can be sampled in the intro update. Remember, also, that you're free to submit as many classes as you want, with the caveat that only one character from you can win.

Also, here's some very sound advice regarding EO5's world and how it might affect characters from Clarste:

Clarste posted:

Frankly I'm not even sure if I should mention this, but reading all these character suggestions makes me wonder about how they'd fit into the setting of the world. I see a lot of profiles that talk about growing up in "the city" or whatever, and I just have to wonder how they got there. I mean, the city of Aeolis isn't a central metropolis or anything, it's a relatively small town that's currently undergoing a huge gold rush style boom now that exploration is legal. Basically none of the characters you meet were born there: they're all immigrants from all over the continent. Each race other than Earthrun also comes from a very specific culture, and it's implied that there's not normally all that much cross-pollination between the races. Like, Therians are from a Spartan culture where each child is trained to use a weapon from a young age, and to hunt for their own survival. Lunarians simply want to unlock the secrets of the universe, which maybe other people think is dabbling in things man was not meant to know. Brownies live in harmony with nature, but are also known for being especially materialistic and greedy. These three different cultures are basically at the center of why people want to explore Yggdrasil: for glory, knowledge, or treasure.

Not that anyone should feel obligated to stick close to that when making a character. Those are just the stereotypes, and even the game takes pleasure in subverting them. But the interactions of the four races is sort of a big thematic point of the game. Not everyone gets along with everyone else at first, and this melting pot they find themselves in is a bit of a novelty. It's just... an interesting time for an explorer to find themselves in. I say this not to limit your creativity, but maybe to give you a launching point. That's the hope anyway.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Does Force return in EP5? I really like that system, but it sounds like it doesnt

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Does Force return in EP5? I really like that system, but it sounds like it doesnt

No. You get Union Skills instead.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I've talked quite a lot towards the end of the LP about how much I value Stardust, but Sophie deserves special mention too. Creeping Curse just makes inflicting disables so easy, and disables take so much of the pain of postgame FOEs and bosses away.

:allears: Glad my little starving hexer was helpful for the LP. So many taste descriptions and so many disables.

I swear the Frost King was at least harder than that, though. Might be because running the Story Mode party means it's a pain in the rear end - I don't think there's enough damage that it can deal before the Ice Armor goes up... Thunder Empress, though, she's a chump no matter what mode you're on :v:

(Also gently caress the Great Dragon)

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Arcade Rabbit posted:

It's a shame. I thought it was a fantastic system too, since unlike the 'throw it on anybody' Limit skills, every Force Boost/Break is at least uniquely tied into the schtick of the class that uses it. Not that they're necessarily all GOOD, mind you, but at least they're designed to play in a fun way with the class they're stapled to. All in all I like the skill system in this game more than I liked it in any previous one except EO4, which was genuinely brilliant to gate its skills behind level locks so that lategame levels don't turn into what you saw here, where it's just buying levels of useful-ish passives. Well, OK, they still do, but it ameliorates that to a very great extent by deepening the skill tree and gating progression.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

[*]Conditional: Poison Pumpkin (Kill with poison damage). 100% chance. Sells for 17500 en. 1 needed to make Formaldehyde (Gives all drops of any enemy killed on turn of use).

[*]I'm going to be blunt here: I do not care about getting this conditional legitimately, so I'm just going to use a Formaldehyde.

Is this irony? I want to say it's irony.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Clarste posted:

No. You get Union Skills instead.

Union skills seem to be more akin to EO3's Limit Skills, only far less unweldy to use. Combing through the menus to resetup your Limit Skills every time you changed your party slightly was annoying. Though I guess that's only a problem if you changed your party frequently in that game for whatever reason.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
This LP got me interested in Etrian Odyssey and made me get all of the games available on the 3DS except EOV. I'm glad that I've noticed this LP, I'd say I've thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm excited for the EOV LP soon.

Name: Cassie
Class: Herbalist
Portrait: 4B
Skin Color: Second row, first
Hair Color: 202, 57, 75 (highlight) 141, 7, 26 (shade)
Eye Color: 113, 86, 151 (highlight) 164, 79, 164 (shade)
Voice: Cruel

Herbalists are generally helpful, gentle and kind. Cassie is not one of those types and is definitely not your typical Brownie. Forced into a position that she loathes with a passion and having to deal with idiots that throw themselves into danger drives her to drink, drink and drink until she's mumbling underneath a table wondering why she didn't become a Necromancer or something. Bluntly rude and completely willing to take funds to fuel her drinking problem, it's no surprise that her teammates don't like but unfortunately for them, they have to deal with it because she's the only reliable source of mending wounds in the beginning of their journey and she is willing to rub it in their faces of that fact.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

vdate posted:

It's a shame. I thought it was a fantastic system too, since unlike the 'throw it on anybody' Limit skills, every Force Boost/Break is at least uniquely tied into the schtick of the class that uses it. Not that they're necessarily all GOOD, mind you, but at least they're designed to play in a fun way with the class they're stapled to.

While not quite as uniquely tailored to the classes as Force skills, Union Skills in EO5 aren't just "throw it on anybody", since they're tied to the different races. Each character has a racial skill tree in addition to their class skill tree, and you learn Union skills there. Which means that, assuming you aren't doing weird and probably bad things with class change, your Warlocks/Necromancers and going to have completely different Unions from your Hounds/Masurao, etc. Personally, I played without either of the Brownie classes, which meant I didn't have access to their Unions, which changed how I could deal with things significantly.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 70: Wyrm

S-so, um, didn't we have another quest?
...Oh, right. Marion took that sword and went into the 2nd Stratum.
Kinda hard to believe we almost forgot about that, honestly.
If she's dead by the time we get there, I call dibs on the sword.

Today's update is nothing but Crimson vengeance, and quite possibly the second-most bullshit boss in the game. Buckle up, because I have a lot to say.

Gods, why?! Why another drat dragon?!

SYSTEM: One of the combatants is human, but the other figure is a massive dragon, terrifying to behold! Blood-red scales cover its colossal body, and its jaw is lined with razor-sharp fangs. Its eyes glow with smoldering malice... Its tail is covered in spikes. One strike from it could easily fell a large tree. Its fire breath reduces all to ash... The human figure, on the other hand, wields a grand sword with poise and grace. It steps forward, confronting the dragon. You recognize the figure... It is one you have seen countless times at the Explorers Guild, back in the city.
Oh, hi Marion.
SYSTEM: You have not yet heard the truth from her, but she clearly holds the sword that you uncovered--the Winged God's Sword... As you watch in awe, the red dragon scores a punishing hit on the lone fighter, knocking them off their feet! You immediately rush to the motionless figure's side.
O-oh dear!

SYSTEM: With her remaining strength, she looks hazily to you, and speaks...
...Lumen... I'm sorry...but I must...it...
You're in no condition to fight a Hedgehog, much less that thing!
Dammit...! I thought that with this sword, I would be able to finally slay that fiend...!
SYSTEM: The Guildmaster doesn't seem to be thinking straight! As you try to calm her, you hear a mighty roar from behind you! ...However, the dragon does nothing, merely giving you an imperious stare. Perhaps it does not consider you a worthy opponent...
Rrrgh... drat that thing...! It's taunting us...!
SYSTEM: The Guildmaster has lost her composure. She clenches her teeth, staggering once more towards the dragon! If you let the Guildmaster go on, she will throw herself into a confrontation with the dragon that she cannot survive!
Ranger, Milly, help me get Marion out of the room!
SYSTEM: You all decide to forcibly remove the Guildmaster from the battlefield in order to ensure her safety.
Wh--! Unhand me! What do you think you're doing!?

SYSTEM: She glares at you, rage burning in her eyes. However, her anger gradually dissipates, and she hangs her head.

I became Guildmaster hoping that the work would be enough to drive it from my mind, and let me finally shed my burden... In truth, my time here was very fulfilling. I...believed I had found a new home here, among the people of High Lagaard. But...no matter how much time passed, my scars reminded me every single day of what I had lost...! ...So, when I heard of a sword sharp enough to pierce through the dragon's hide... I acted rashly.
"Rashly" is a bit of an understatement, but go on.
...Tch. Pathetic, really. I deceived you in order to get the sword, and even after that, I've failed in all my efforts... It looks as though... I haven't changed at all...since then...
SYSTEM: The Guildmaster falls silent. Her normal air of assurance and valiance is gone. Now, she only looks exhausted... It seems her spirit has been completely broken. Perhaps you should try saying something to her.

Maybe one person's not enough to take on that dragon, but what if you and the others fight it together while I eat it?
Together...? What are you talking about? Surely you aren't planning on fighting that dragon, are you?
Th-the others have said this plenty of times, but we've fought worse...
I've already told you--that monster cannot be bested by humans like us. Are you mad enough to still challenge that dragon after hearing that?
Have you seen Mr. Brainless over there?
That thing's definitely the least cute of all three dragons. No question.
It's just a big dumb lizard anyway, when you get down to it.
A lizard...? Certainly, a giant winged lizard that just so happens to breathe fire! ...Ahah...Hahahaha! Indeed! I suppose you could say that. You always look at things in the most eccentric way... It would never have occurred to me to view it like that... My comrades and I used to talk like this all the time. I had...missed the laughter.
SYSTEM: Her expression softens, lost for a moment in her reminiscence. Her expression is one of odd fondness--an unusual sight on her.
...Fight together, eh?
SYSTEM: The Guildmaster smiles, a new determination blazing in her eyes as she looks to you.
Lumen... I would ask a favor of you all. Please, lend me your strength against the red dragon. You've already offered, I know, but... I feel this is something I should ask of you properly. I want to move forward. To move on from the day I lost everything. But...simply put, I cannot do it alone. Which is why... I need your assistance, Lumen. Would you please lend me your strength?
You didn't need to ask, really.
Thank you, Lumen.
SYSTEM: She smiles gently, nodding in quiet gratitude...then her expression hardens, and she speaks, self-assured once more.
Well then. We shall now commence our assault on the red dragon. Are you all prepared?
Ready as we'll ever be!
Good. Then let us begin. I'll follow your lead--you can handle the tactical approach to the combat.
SYSTEM: You meet her gaze, seeing her steadfast confidence in you, and nod in response. The time has come to attack.

Marion actually joins your party for the Great Dragon fight if you let her--the only guest party member you get in Classic. She's...not too great. Her build's a mishmash of pointless, half-invested skills, with a level 10 Ice Chaser being the odd man out.

SYSTEM: The colossal dragon stands there, just as you left it. It stares you down with an arrogant air of superiority, but the blazing heat is enough to tell you its pride is well-founded... Your bodies tense as you lock eyes with the dragon...

Remember: big dumb lizard.
O-once we've defeated it, there'll be nothing to be worried about...
Heh. You're exactly right... All the reason more for us to be victorious. Come, then...let us strike!
SYSTEM: Now, draw your weapon and step forward! The time has come to slay the dragon directly before you!

:siren: VIDEO: Boss Fight: Great Dragon :siren:

Great Dragon
HP: 72000, STR: 95, TEC: 75, VIT: 64, AGI: 44, LUC: 63
Skills:
  • Fire Torrent: Uses the head. Deals 600% ranged TEC-based fire damage to every party member. Has a 50% speed modifier and 180 base accuracy.
  • Resonant Roar: Uses the head. Reduces each party member's physical attack by 50% for 4 turns. Attempts to inflict panic on each party member, with a 50% base chance. Has a 200% speed modifier.
  • Dragon Strike: Uses the legs. Deals 4-6 instances of 110% melee STR-based bash damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Attempts to stun hit targets, with a 20% base chance. Has no speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Draconic Fury: Used out of turn. Uses the head. Increases the Great Dragon's physical/elemental attack by 50% for 4 turns.
  • Dragon Claw: Uses the arms. Deals 135% melee STR-based cut damage to one row. Attempts to bind hit targets' arms, with a 20% base chance. Has a 140% speed modifier and 110 base accuracy.
  • Wyrm Quake: Uses the legs. Deals 110% melee STR-based bash damage to each party member. Attempts to bind hit targets' legs, with a 20% chance. Has a 70% speed modifier and 110 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Dragon Fang. 100% chance. Sells for 30000 en. 1 needed to make Flame Axe (+227 ATK, normal attacks become bash+fire).
    "Fire dragon's fang that can crush all. Its dreadful strength can shatter boulders."
  • Rare: Dragon Scale. 25% chance. Sells for 38000 en. 1 needed to make Dragon Orb (Immunity to fire). 1 Dragon Scale, 1 Blizzard Scale, and 1 Emperor Scale needed to make Dragonbane (+210 ATK, +5 all stats).
    "The only reverse scale on the fire dragon. It takes great fortune to acquire this."
  • Conditional: Scorching Horn (Kill with fire damage). 100% chance. Sells for 66000 en. 1 needed to make Dragoon Mail (Gunner ultimate armor; +77 DEF, +30 HP, +3 AGI).
    "Fire dragon's horn, wreathed in flames. Some say it holds the key to ultimate power."
  • Ingredient: Dragon Tail. 15-19 given. 7 needed to make Imperial Manhan Quanxi (Western Cuisine; party is revived at 1 HP upon game over once per battle).
    "Fatty meat near the base."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 0% 150% 100%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 50% 0% 25% 0% 25%
0% 0% 10%
25% 50% 25%

A legendary red dragon who has slain countless foolhardy adventurers.

Hoo boy. You thought Storm Emperor was bullshit with how easily he could wipe your party, with barely any ways for you to defend yourself? Evidently Atlus didn't think that was enough, since Great Dragon's even worse. At 95 STR, even his normal attacks can one-shot most of our roster and leave the tankier members badly hurting. He also has access to everyone's favorite ailment: panic. And if all of that wasn't bad enough, he can also buff his damage by 50% using an out-of-turn action you can't stop aside from binding his head. Also he's a massive goddamn HP sponge, so even with Ranger along, whittling him down can take a while.

Oh, and like every other dragon, he has a summon. You thought the Blue Heart maybe had a little too much HP?

Red Heart
HP: 13000, STR: 95, TEC: 75, VIT: 64, AGI: 44, LUC: 63
Skills:
  • Resonant Fire: Cannot be disabled. Deals ranged TEC-based fire damage to the entire party at the end of the turn. Damage is based on the number of turns that have passed since the Red Heart was summoned: 60%, 90%, 135%, 200%, 300%, 450%, 675%, 1000%. The damage resets when the Red Heart dies. Does not check for accuracy.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 0% 125% 100%
Disable resistances:
0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 10%
0% 0% 0%

THIRTEEN THOUSAND loving HP. That is far too high for a summon, especially one on a boss that's already an HP sponge. And remember, leaving this thing alive simply isn't an option, because the damage from Resonant Fire will ramp up way too quickly.

Anyone who's played EO2U before and fought the Great Dragon will understand why I did the following:

YEEEEEEAHOWHOWHOW HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT!

Yep, I broke out Stigmata again. Coupled with Freyja being here, I'm sure you can guess what's coming up next.

Again, I make no apologies for this. Without Stigmata + Ecstasy, the Great Dragon is just a massive HP sponge and the fight becomes me hoping and praying that I don't get hosed over by random chance.

There is nothing interesting about this fight, honestly. If you want to see the full thing in action, peek the video.

SYSTEM: The Great Dragon gives a loud roar as its legs buckle, and it crashes to the ground, felling the surrounding trees! At last, you have defeated one of the mightiest monsters within the Labyrinth... The Great Dragon has fallen!

SYSTEM: This is what the Guildmaster had sought for so long, but she only silently looks upon the carcass of the dragon.
A-aren't you happy?
...I am happy about the outcome. I can finally shed my regrets from that day, and move forward. But...even so, I now realize I hadn't given any thought to what I'd do after I'd completed my goal...
Why not just stay as Guildmaster?
...True. I may have finally gained closure, but this fact has nothing to do with my current post. And of course, if I suddenly disappear, I'm sure the place will fall into utter disarray... If I had considered everyone back in the city, perhaps I wouldn't have tried to throw my life away so recklessly.
Come on, now's not the time to mope. You've got rookies to train.
You're right. They can barely handle a sword as it is! They have much to learn.
SYSTEM: There is a strange tenderness to her voice as she speaks. You can sense her newfound optimism--freed from demons of her past. As she opens her mouth to speak further, the blade in her hands gleams with a sudden light! Though startled, you soon realize that the same light is shining from within the scaled chest of the dragon! The two lights grow brighter and brighter, as though resonating with each other. Soon, the light utterly fills your vision!

SYSTEM: The blade is known as the Yggdrasil Sword. It is a manifestation of Yggdrasil's raw power, and is said to cut through anything.
This is...
SYSTEM: Her eyes widen in awe, but after a moment of contemplation, she raises the sword and hands it towards you.
Please, allow me to return this sword to you... I'm sorry to have taken it without your permission.

I don't really like the Yggdrasil Sword. Not only does the Dragonbane have a fantastic secondary attribute, even if you don't want that, the Dragvandil give +40 HP/TP in exchange for 2 less ATK.

I'll be heading back to the city now. I'll have to report today's events to the Palace...and I will accept their due punishment.
SYSTEM: With these words, she trudges away.
I can only guess at what manner of punishment they'll have for me... Tch, I can just imagine the paperwork involved...
SYSTEM: She grumbles as she walks on, but her steps are much lighter... It seems you need no longer worry about her. As you watch her walk away, she suddenly turns and raises her hand.
Well, then... I'll see you at the Explorer's Guild. You'll always be welcome there.

SYSTEM: With that, she turns around once more, and begins to head back to the city. You have completed the request! Head to the bar when you have the time to report its completion!

Hey, good work! Looks like yeh've accomplished quite the feat, Lumen. Heh. 'Course I ain't gonna ask what happened. Yeh've already taken care of everythin', right?
As far as we know, yeah.
...Aw, fine! It was all my fault. Yeh got me!
I...beg your pardon?
'Cause yeh gave me the sword, and I just totally forgot I still had the thing. Embarrassin'! What a mixup, right?
Nnnnnnnnno?

...Welp. It looks like whoever wrote this dialogue forgot that the way the sword got in Marion's hands was changed for EO2U. This isn't even a translation mixup, this is just the original script being wrong.

Haw haw haw! Glad yeh're quick on the uptake. Yeh got that now? Yeh lot gave me the sword, but I forgot to pass it on to the Duke's Palace. I gotta be more careful. drat, I'm gonna get an earful for this one... At least it'll take some of the heat off Mar.
Cass, is your brain not screwed in right?
...S'pose everyone's got one or two things from their past they don't want anybody seein'. Ain't that right, Lumen? In any case, that's the end of that!
Um... Okay.

And I forgot to sell the items again. Dammit. I'll do it next time.

Next time: ...Well, there's not much left to do from 30F.

Aside from Nadia soloing the Master Bird. I should get around to doing that, huh?

Rea fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 5, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

This is your regular reminder that early EO5 character submissions are still open. For reference, we currently have the following submissions for each class:

Cestus: Level Seven's Duke (3B), Tyty's Jill (2A), GeminiSun's Amelie (Earthrun F)
Reaper: Dr. Fetus's Raven (1A), Tyty's Teyla (4A)
Necromancer: blizzardvizard's Jude (1A)
Herbalist: Dr. Fetus's Wanna (4B), FriskyBoat's Dak (3A), mischeviousart's Caleb (3A), Pyro Jack's Cassie (4B)

(alcharagia's Warlock is not listed because, being one of the co-authors of the LP, she is disqualified. Her entry was merely meant to stir up creativity.)

Want to get in on submitting your own character if you haven't yet? The EO5 intro update is over here, and character creation info is here. Remember to provide a voice for your character (I forgot to put that in the creation info), which can be sampled in the intro update. Remember, also, that you're free to submit as many classes as you want, with the caveat that only one character from you can win.

Also, here's some very sound advice regarding EO5's world and how it might affect characters from Clarste:

Clarste posted:

Frankly I'm not even sure if I should mention this, but reading all these character suggestions makes me wonder about how they'd fit into the setting of the world. I see a lot of profiles that talk about growing up in "the city" or whatever, and I just have to wonder how they got there. I mean, the city of Aeolis isn't a central metropolis or anything, it's a relatively small town that's currently undergoing a huge gold rush style boom now that exploration is legal. Basically none of the characters you meet were born there: they're all immigrants from all over the continent. Each race other than Earthrun also comes from a very specific culture, and it's implied that there's not normally all that much cross-pollination between the races. Like, Therians are from a Spartan culture where each child is trained to use a weapon from a young age, and to hunt for their own survival. Lunarians simply want to unlock the secrets of the universe, which maybe other people think is dabbling in things man was not meant to know. Brownies live in harmony with nature, but are also known for being especially materialistic and greedy. These three different cultures are basically at the center of why people want to explore Yggdrasil: for glory, knowledge, or treasure.

Not that anyone should feel obligated to stick close to that when making a character. Those are just the stereotypes, and even the game takes pleasure in subverting them. But the interactions of the four races is sort of a big thematic point of the game. Not everyone gets along with everyone else at first, and this melting pot they find themselves in is a bit of a novelty. It's just... an interesting time for an explorer to find themselves in. I say this not to limit your creativity, but maybe to give you a launching point. That's the hope anyway.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

gently caress the Great Dragon. What an utterly awful fight. Not only does the Great Dragon himself have a poo poo ton of HP, so does his heart. And it'll get summoned twice (assuming you don't take too long to finish off the Great Dragon, which could very well happen considering his massive HP pool.) If you don't just burst him down, or just bring a 2nd Fire Wall user, you have to chew through [b]98000 HP[/b when you take the hearts into account!] Almost breaking 6 digits there!

If I knew about the Paralysis food the first time I played through this game, I would have abused it here. Shutting down the Great Dragon for so many turns would have made the fight so much easier.

On the plus side, Draconic Fury is the best damage buff in the game, so if you can get that on a Grimoire, you can do some crazy things.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I don't think I could've asked for a better dunk than that. Four turns on that loving Wyrm, well played Ragnar :golfclap:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bonus: Draconic Cooking Part 1

For this update, we're gonna be cooking all the 6th Stratum foods.

I've made dangerous flowering tea. Could you try drinking it?
...Hm? What's wrong? I though that Arianna would like this drink...
W-Well, there's no complaints about the dish, it's just this scent...
Scent? ...It smells fragrant to me.

Both of these choices lead into the same bit of dialogue.

It's a trap!/Don't let your guard down!
Wh-What the!?
...Er, sorry about that. This particular scent puts us on guard.
This smell makes me sleepy... We can't move... It's very dangerous.
...I-I see. To me, it's a very flowery smell... but is it THAT dangerous a monster?
...What will you do? If the smell's too traumatic, you don't have to drink it.
B-But... it's Regina's cooking. We should drink it!

You're right.

...The sweet smell relaxes you, beckoning you to slumber. ...At this rate, you're going... to fall... ...asleep...

Good night.

Unable to resist the soft scent, you let your consciousness go.

A slap can be heard.

Thanks.
It's nothing. I can't just let my buddy put himself in danger.

What are you doing?
Whaddya mean by that!? If you sleep here you'll be in danger!

That bit of dialogue merges here.

Er, I don't think there's anything dangerous here in the restaurant...
Huh? ...Now that you mention it, yeah...
But still, it is a bit dangerous to nod off due to the scent. ...I'll serve this with something to waken the customers.
And I'll put a warning on the menu... You guys be careful too whenever you order it again, okay?

Going back to an earlier choice...

We can't sleep!

...This isn't good! You open your eyes with firm resolution!

Zzzzzz...
...Oh, you're awake. I was wondering what happened. You nodded off due to the sweet scent... That IS a bit dangerous.
...I'll serve this with something to waken the customers. And I'll put a warning on the menu... You guys be careful too whenever you order it again, okay?

Going back to an even earlier choice...

Exactly. Go ahead!
Yes!
...Huh? Um... Am I the only one to drink it!?
Wow, that's something I can't do. You're amazing, Arianna.
Good luck, Arianna.
You guys are all mean...
Oh? Then you drink it with her. I'll sit back and watch.
Yes. Keep watch.
Ugh...
F-Fine then... Here I go!
And I, as well!
Now then, how's the taste?

Sounds of people slumping to the floor.

Arianna? Flavio!? A-Are you two okay!?

...Don't worry. They're both just sleeping.
The smell is so good it put them to sleep. Isn't that a bit dangerous?
...I'll serve this with something to waken the customers.
And I'll put a warning on the menu... You guys be careful too whenever you order it again, okay?

You get the Hazardous Bud from killing a Petaloid, which are one of the most iconic and hated enemies in the series. Mainly because they could put your entire party to sleep, and then kill you while your party took a nap. Or let other enemies kill you during nap time.

Anyways, this is a decent food effect, as it's basically a passive version of Black Mist. Only ailments and binds are forced to last 2 turns longer than usual instead of 1 turn. It's nice for longer battles, but there are other food effects I prefer.

Alright, it's done. Could you try eating it now?
Oh, that looks good! Heheh, let's eat!
It's smaller and easier to eat than the bun.
Mmm, the flavor of meat comes bursting out when bit into...! This is so delicious!
But they're all smaller, so they're gone in an instant.

This size is perfect.
That's right. There's a perfect size for everything.
If it's big, it'll be hard to eat, and you'd get full in the middle of eating it.
I wouldn't.
*giggle* It's true that we wouldn't have to worry about Dame Chloe becoming full.
You really do eat a lot... Do you want my portion, too?
I do!
Glad you like it. I'll add it to the menu, so order it whenever you like.

Let's make it bigger.
Oh, that'd be nice. You can't go wrong with that!
Well, first... I'd like it as big as Flavio's head.
A person's head, huh? ...Do I even have a steamer that size?
No, but before that, I'd need to rethink the skin's composition.
...It wouldn't be as easy as simply making everything bigger?
Well, maybe if I didn't think about it, but you'd want it as delicious as possible, right?
The pride of a professional, eh?
It'll take some time to make a giant shumai... but I'll add this to menu. Order it whenever you feel like it. I'll be waiting.

Increases the party's resistance to Petrification by 80%. This WOULD be a good food effect if not for several reasons. Not many enemies and bosses can inflict Petrification by this point. The ones that do can inflict several other ailments on top of that. Pass.

There you go, twice-cooked meat. Could you try it out right now?
Oh... I like this dish. This would be great with some rice!
I vote for that, too.
I figured you'd say that, so I prepared some. Here.

How considerate of you.
We've worked together this long. I can tell how you guys like to eat.
...I can feel Regina's love.
H-Hey, don't say it like that.

I love you too.
Wha...!?
Oh, me too! I like Regina, too!
Sh-Shut up! You guys are making such a big fuss over a bowl of rice!

Dame Regina, thank you!
Wh-What are you saying!? I said don't call me that!
No, I understand Knight's feelings. Regina alone isn't enough.
That's right, Dame Regina!
I have no idea what that's supposed to mean!

Dialogue merges here.

*giggle* You are all really such good friends.
...Oh, Dame Regina, Dame Regina. I love you too.
E-Er, stop that...
...What? Is this where I'm supposed to jump on the bandwagon?
There is no such bandwagon! Ugh, I'll add this to the menu, so eat as much as you like! And I won't give you any more rice!
Nooo...!

Going back to an earlier choice...

I'll pass.
I see. If you need any, just ask me. There's no reason to be reserved.
Regina, give me a big helping.
Me too! I'll take a large helping!
Yeah, yeah, I know. You just sit and wait.
Okay!
*giggle* It's like Dame Regina is a mother, hm?

You're right...
No one's ever told me that before. I doubt there's a mother this rough.
But you did just seem like my mom. Mom also said the same thing when I asked for seconds.
...I-Is that so?
Hmmm... That's kinda touching.

Can I call you Mama?
Of course not!
Th-Then... Mother?
Who was talking about the way you call me it! I don't recall having any kids, let alone children this big!

Dialogue merges here.

*sigh* I'll add it to the menu, so order it whenever you like. ...I won't give any more rice, either.
Nooo...

At the end of every turn, dead party members have a 5% chance of reviving with 1 HP. Yes, 5%. Utter trash, especially this late in the game.

Here you go: BBQ lizard. Could you try eating it right now?
The flavor is a bit strong, so try sandwiching it with bread.
...Ho-ho! This is pretty good.
How can I put it? It is melodiously sweet... And the saltiness that follows is so well-balanced...
Ohhh, and yet it disappears so fast from my mouth...!
Man... I want to keep this in my mouth forever...

It's edible happiness.
Putting it that way... it's a bit sad.
...Do you always think of such difficult things when eating?
No, but it was so good it made me think.
...I understand the feeling. It is just so delicious.
I'm glad you took a liking to it. I'll add it to the menu, so order it again. I'll be waiting.

One more, please.
Shoot, I didn't think of that!
Seconds, me, too!
I hate to burst your bubble, but I didn't prepare that much this time...
...I see.
Hrmmm... I'll add it to the menu, so the next time you order it, I'll make extra. Okay?

Increases Instant Kill resistance by 80%. This WOULD be a good food effect in other Etrian Odyssey games. In this one? By this point, the enemies and bosses that have the capabilities of inflicting Instant Death are so few and far in between, and the ones that do can ignore any bits of Instant Death resistance altogether. Pass.

Anyways, once I leave Cafe and come back in...

For what...? What're you talking about?
Of all the scattered recipes of Apicius, the Grand Duchy has withheld the most demanding--the pinnacles of culinary art. I think it's about time I put myself to the test with those recipes.
Th-The most demanding...!? That sounds rather daunting.
They say these recipes remain incomplete because even Apicius himself couldn't perfect them. ...I'll entrust these recipes to you. If you manage to find any of those ingredients, please, bring them here.

Once you cook all the foods of a specific kind, you'll be given a special recipe to work with.

These count as special recipes.

So you know how the dragons drop ingredients? This is what they're used for. That's right, we're cooking the dragons! :unsmigghh:

Here it is: traditional osechi!
Oooooh...
Wow, a dragon made of vegetables...!

That's what I expect from you.
*chuckle* Thank you. I've been waiting for that line.
It took a while to make this, but I wanted to see the surprise on your faces.
Yes, we were truly... surprised!

I have nothing more to teach.
Haha, what are you saying?
She's right, Sir Knight. You have never taught Dame Regina once how to cook.
...Actually, that may not be true It may be true I've never learned cooking techniques from you, but I've learned something more important.
Dame Regina...

Dialogue merges here.

But still... Eastern households sure make some amazing things. It's pretty luxurious to have this decorated dragon.
Yeah, it's a once-a-year celebration. Each household has its flavor.

Well I' sure like to wonder where that missing “d” went.

Huh!? ...Regina are you leaving?

It'll be a bit lonely.
You even have your own restaurant, too...
...What are you saying? You're all from different countries; you're not going to stay here forever, right?
But... it makes me happy to hear you say that. Well, that's still off in the future. I'll probably need Grandfather's permission, anyway.

Want us to come along?
That's a good idea.
Hey, don't turn this into a big deal. You have your own places you need to go to, right? Plus, Knight has to return to Midgard...

Um, that's completely impossible at this point, but none of this is even canon, so whatever.

Well, that's still off in the future. I'll probably need Grandfather's permission, anyway.

Dialogue merges here.

The Minister's permission, huh? He's really attached to you, so convincing him may be a feat...
Hmmm... He might even cry.
...Don't say things that'll make my resolution waver. I, uh... have a soft spot when he cries.
Hey, kid. Tell me when you do go talk with the Minister. I'll go watch.

I want to watch, too.
Yeah, sounds fun doesn't it?
Trand, Knight, both of you have poor taste. You should let them cry by themselves.

That's in poor taste.
What, and be a Goody Two-shoes? It'll be a blast.
You have poor taste, Trand. You should let them cry by themselves.

Dialogue merges here.

That's right. It's an important parting for the two; you should let them cry together.
Hey, you guys. Why are you determining that I would cry too?
Huh? Dame Regina, you wouldn't cry?
Er, well...
Ugh, I said that's in the future! Enough with the suspicion of whether or not I'd cry!
Anyway, I added this to the menu, so order it at any time. I'll work hard to make it for you.

This food completely eliminates any random encounters in the Labyrinth. Considering how annoying the later floors in the 6th Stratum can get, it can make things more bearable. Unfortunately, all the special foods only last for one trip.

Here you go. Hermit sugata-zukuri. Go ahead and try it.
...Huh!? It looks like a monster is simply sitting on a plate.
Wh-Where are we supposed to start eating from?

Let's try the shell.
Well, it DOES stand out...
Hm? This part's movable? ...Whoa, it came off!

The whiskers?
Hm, I'll try pulling on a long one.
...? The head came off.

How about the claw?
You're right. If there's a place filled with something to eat, it'd be here...
...Huh? It came off!?

Dialogue merges here.

Amazing! The inside is cut into bite-size pieces!
*chuckle* It looks hard to eat at first, but it has been prepared to be easy to eat.
The yuzu goes well with it. Bon appetit.

Before you realize it, the giant hermit has disappeared!

Phew... The presentation has impact, but more than that, the taste was great...!
My heart was pounding when the head came off. However, it was pounding more at the taste. It's so good, even though it's not meat.
I want to give this Chloe's Honorable Meat Award.
*giggle* A blue-ribbon winner!
Is that even praising it? ...Well, I guess it is in Chloe's eyes.
I'll take that award and add this dish to the menu. Order again anytime.

Fire Jars, Ice Jars, and Volt Jars are now infinite use. Okay, why in the world would you want to use this!? If you're gonna use a food to increase the effects of items, go with the one that doubles Jar damage or quadruples the chances of gases and tanglers having an effect.

Here you go. Black osuimono. Go ahead and try it.
Hrm, this smell is powerful. I can tell what it is, even though it's a clear soup.
Whoa... It's like... Boom! Don't you think so?

Yeah. Boom!
I'm usually not one for these type of clear soups...
But with this “boom,” I can drink it!
Hrm, I know you're giving me opinions on the flavor...
But I have no idea what exactly that's supposed to mean.
Don't worry, kid. I don't get it, either.
...No clue either. How are they having a conversation with onomatopoeia?
Do you think so? I think I can understand
them.
These kinds of refined soups are usually a bit “floofy," but... this one is “boom"! Correct?

What are you talking about?
Huh? You don't get it...? Why not? I mean, it's “boom”!
I don't get it either. You're just repeating onomatopoeia.
Do you think so? I think I can understand
them.
These kinds of refined soups are usually a bit “floofy,” but... this one is “boom”! Correct?
Ooh! You get it! That's right, it's “boom!”
Hrm, I know you're giving me opinions on the flavor...
But I have no idea what exactly that's supposed to mean.
Don't worry, kid. I don't get it, either.

Dialogue merges here.

“Floofy”... and “boom,” huh? I-I see... Hrmmmm...
Well, I'll take it to heart. I'll add it to the menu, so give me your opinion again.

I'm pretty sure that skit was a reference to Arthur from EOU, who held similar conversations.

Anyways, this food doubles the chances of Grimoire Fevers occurring and continuing, though I have no idea what the odds on those even are. Not that useful to be honest. There are better foods if you want to go Grimoire farming.

Here you go. Sumo chanko pot. Go ahead and try it.
Full of meat. Thick slices. Me happy.
Hmm, it's a big pot, but it's been well-stewed, so it's easy to eat!
...But what's a sumo?
Ah, that's a warrior of the east. Something like the ronin.
Exactly. This dish was developed to help them retain their powerful bodies. In other words, this is the secret to their strength.
I see. So warriors of the east are also chefs?
...I wonder if the ronin also have some traditional dish?

Maybe.
...What kind of dishes do they learn? I would like to ask them about that!
Well... I have a couple of acquaintances, but I haven't heard anything from them.
...Maybe it's a secret. This pot was a secret too, right?
Regina said it herself: the secret of their strength.
So the Mr. Ronin may be keeping their cooking a secret?
Then perhaps it is not something to simply ask on a whim... It is dangerous to recklessly reveal the secret of your strength, after all.
But still, that shows how much Apicius was trusted by the sumo that told him this.
...He was truly a great man.

Probably not.
...Do you think? That's a bit unfortunate.
I thought the same as well and asked several ronin, but turned up empty-handed. According to them, sumo is a job where having bigger bodies is beneficial. That is why they have secrets in eating.
The bigger the better? I wonder what kind of job it is.
Are they incredibly tall? Then this dish was prepared to increase their height...?
Heh, if that's true, then Chloe needs to eat a whole lot, huh?
Shut up, Trand. Chloe's not small. This is my perfect size.

It may not just be ronin.
...Does everybody know of a secret dish!?
Wh-What should I do...? I do not know of any sovereign cooking...
I don't know any survivalist secret dishes either...!
...Now that I think of it, Trand made a protector grill when we were traveling together.
Ah, that was a mess. I tried cooking meat on my shield, but it burnt and the maintenance oil made it smell...
...That's just a failure.

Dialogue merges here.

Hm? The entire pot has been emptied out while we were talking... I'm glad you took a liking to it. I'll add it to the menu, so order it again. I'll be waiting.

Fun fact, this effect was completely mistranslated in EOU. That game said that any Grimoires created would have their levels doubled instead of this.

Anyways, any equipped Grimoire is considered to be 2 levels higher. If you combine this with the legendary effect that increases Grimoire levels by 3, you can make it so that you only need level 5 Grimoires to reach level 10. For the record, this can't overflow and give you like a level 11 or 12 Grimoire. This is handy if a Grimoire has a bonus effect that you want, but its level is too low. Though Grimoires are trash, and I am glad they are finally gone in EO5.

Here you go. Eastern nishime. Go ahead and try it.
Whoa, what's this!? The vegetables are shaped like flowers... They're like toys.
They're so cute and delicious! *giggle* I'm at a loss what to eat next.
Yeah, I thought this recipe was for you, Arianna.
Conversely, I figured Chloe would hate it. Not hungry, Chloe?
But... there's no meat.
I figured you'd say that. It's such an elaborate dish, too... What a waste.
Huh? It's definitely good, but... isn't it just stewed vegetables?
Stew all these types of vegetables together, and you wouldn't get a taste like this.
I think that the seasoning and stewing process is different for each vegetable.
Oh... So that's why each vegetable has such a definitive flavor. I was wondering how they were prepared.
Huh? What's wrong, kid? Standing around like that.
S-Sorry, I was surprised. I never imagined hearing something so normal from you...
What!?

That's your fault.
...Do I act THAT bad usually?
Usually, yes.

Regina, that's harsh.
S-Sorry... It was so unexpected, I accidentally spoke my mind...
You like to lay it on, kid...

Dialogue merges here.

At any rate, I'll add this to the menu, so order it anytime.
And, um... Bertrand, sorry about that.

This is kind of underselling the effect a bit. What this actually does is that all encounters with FOEs are forced to be preemptive strikes. Even if they walk into your back. Not only that, it works for bosses as well. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on the post-game superboss or the DLC superboss. This effect isn't super useful, but it's a bit neat.

Anyways, I leave Cafe and come back.

Tell... us?
Yes. I thought I'd tell you what happened at that dinner--the one for my relatives.
Wh--Geez, that's pretty important! Don't just 'forget to tell us' that kinda stuff!
I agree. I was pretty worried about it.
Haha, sorry.

So it went well, right?
Hah, you could tell?
Well... ahem. My relatives have now approved my independence. Looks like they were extremely impressed with my recreation of the lost recipes, and all we've done to develop the city.

...That's cold.
Well... ah... I apologize. How do I put it... After I discussed it with you, it felt as though the issue was already resolved.
...I felt like I was already over it. It was a little embarrassing to simply bring it up again.
Heh. I suppose there's not a lot I can say on the matter, anyway.
So, how'd it go? I'm guessing things turned out alright.
Well... ahem. My relatives have now approved my independence. Looks like they were extremely impressed with my recreation of the lost recipes, and all we've done to develop the city.

Dialogue merges here.

My...! Dame Regina, that's wonderful news!
Haha, thanks. ...Some of them were still against it, but even they cleaned their plates. I think that was what made me happiest.
Regina's cooking is always good.

Wouldn't expect any less, Regina.
...I couldn't have done it alone. If Grandpa hadn't helped me, I wouldn't have even had that chance, and...
All that I have achieved wouldn't have been possible without your help.

It's thanks to us.
...Knight, stop being so conceited. You're not doing yourself any favors.
It's the truth, though.
All that I have achieved wouldn't have been possible without your help.

Dialogue merges here.

I'm surprised those bigwigs actually gave up on marrying you off.
Well... about that... My father was furious, and still can't let it go.
But I have a cafe to run! I can't afford to be thinking about unimportant stuff like marriage right now.
Of course, if it's someone I've chosen for myself... You never know. I might change my tune. *chuckle*

I doubt an average man could handle it.
Haha, you could say that. I wouldn't choose just an average man, now, would I?

The Minister'll have a fit.
Oh, I wouldn't think so. The person I've chosen has already earned Grandpa's trust.

Are you saying...
*chuckle*

Dialogue merges here.

R-Regina... y-you don't mean...!
Hm? Something the matter, Arianna?
N-No! You mustn't! Y-You can't!
Whoa, what're you freaking out about? ...What do you mean by 'she can't'?
W-Well, she just... can't!
Haha, relax. I know, I know. I was just poking fun.
In any case, that's all I have to say I hope that... we'll continue to help each other, like we always do. And I'll continue to cook for you... to the best of my ability.

And that's the end of Regina's subplot. Of course I also cooked all the Japanese cuisine available, so another scene plays immediately after that.

I think it's about time then.
Wait, there's more of those incomplete recipes left?
Yeah, that's right... I'll entrust you with this now, as well. If you're able to find these ingredients, please bring them here.

The first conversation with Regina unlocked some new town dialogue. None are exclusive to Story mode.

Here it is: court haute cuisine!
This is... incredible! The dragon is all bread! This is bread, right!?
Alright, let's start cutting! Should I start from the tail?

Give me the tail.
Ooh, like the edges? Then the tail is yours, Knight.
Then I take the head. It looks crunchy and tasty.

Give me the middle.
Okay, then. I'll take the tail.
Ooh, the end is crispy, but the center is fluffy!
This is cooked superbly!

Give me the head.
The head!? You're starting from there!?
No, Chloe gets the head. It looks crunchy and tasty.
This is a pickle... With it being this big, why don't we split it into two pieces?
S-Split this even more...!?

Dialogue merges here.

*chuckle* I'm glad you're enjoying it. So... how is the dragon? Does it look like the real deal?

Exactly!
*chuckle* Not bad for second-hand knowledge, huh?
But still, in order to increase the degree of completion, I would like to see the real thing for myself...

A little different.
Hrm... I suppose that's the limit of creating from second-hand knowledge. I would like to see it for myself...

Dialogue merges here.

Whoa whoa whoa, it's really dangerous. I mean, way past dangerous. Like, seriously dangerous!
Hrrmmm... You're right. I can only wield kitchen knives and pots, so it'd be reckless to explore the forest, huh?
Weapon: Pot. That sounds strong.

Chloe is already brainstorming ideas for a potential chef class.

It does, huh? She's pretty strong, so maybe she can actually do it.

Regina's a chef.
It's true she's skilled at what she does. It'd be a waste for her to change careers now.
...I see. You think that highly of me, huh?
Plus, it really is dangerous. Regina's a girl, after all.
...? Flavio, what does that even mean? Chloe and Arianna are both girls.
Huh? Oh, now that you mention it... you're right.
*giggle* Sir Flavio is quite forgetful, forgetting our gender.
Y-Yeah, leave it at that, please! That's me. Forgetful Flavio!
...You lucked out, Flavio.

Want to join Guild?
You're right. Cooking is a battle with your stamina! Plus it would be fun to have Dame Regina explore with us!
H-Hold on there. You're one of this town's top guilds! Welcoming an amateur would be--Plus, I would have to talk with Grandfather... No, but--
R-Right now, I can't.
Right now? So you're fine with it someday?

Dialogue merges here.

...It's tempting to go on an adventure with you, but before that, I've been entrusted with this restaurant. Right now, my main job is to cook up good food for you as you go exploring.
...You're right. We also enjoy coming here to eat.
Yeah, I will continue to strive to make you useful dishes. Now then, I've added this to the menu, so order this whenever you like. For you, I'll cook my best.

Broken Force Gauges have a 10% chance of being repaired after a battle. Not that great.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 3, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bonus: Draconic Cooking Part 2

:catstare: UM.

I kind of had a feeling as I was making this... but is the presentation a problem?

You're finally getting it.
Well, after all I've made... I finally figured out that dishes of whole monsters--especially insects--aren't very popular.
I'm glad that you've learned, but... Regina, are you really okay handling this?
Hm? The most I thought about it was that it was a big catch... an ingredient worth cooking.
Cooks are crazy...

This is out of the question.
I knew it... It may have been fine during Apicius's time period, but it might not be as well-accepted now.
A time when whole roasts were normal... That must have been an exciting time.
I'm interested.
I've never been more glad to have been born in this era...

...Actually, I'm okay with it.
Hm? Is it the size that makes it okay?
Wait wait wait! Whaddya mean by “actually”!? What makes it actual!?
Hrm, so it does vary from person to person.

Dialogue merges here.

So, what're we gonna do? Eat it?

All 3 choices lead to the same bit of dialogue.

Let's eat./We have no choice but to eat./...Let's eat.
If you are resolved, Sir Knight... Th-Then... so am I!
Huh, wai-- Really!? I-I... can't even...
I'll eat, too.
Then, I guess I'll go along.
Y-You're all eating it...!? Th-Then... M-Me, too!

...It is a long and heavy battle. It is flavored, but for some reason you cannot taste anything...

I somehow missed screenshotting this, but this next line is spoken by Arianna. My shame is eternal. :negative:

“U-Um... Do we have to eat this face here...?”

You impressively clean the plate! You are filled with a sense of accomplishment, similar to when you defeat a powerful foe.

But, good work. I'll add it to the menu, so order it again if you feel like another challenge.

This is a bit of a weird food effect, and how, erm, “useful” it is depends on the difficulty. If you happen to get a game over, you can retry and get sent back to the moment before you got into the losing battle. Letting you use an Ariadne Thread or whatever to avoid that outcome again.

On Picnic, this is useless. You have infinite retries there. On Standard, you start with 1 retry, so that gets bumped up to 2. On Expert, you don't have any by default, so you get one with this in effect. Now this effect would have been handy in EOU because its 6th Stratum is brutal. In fact, it's possibly the most brutal post-game in the entire series. The game can just simply decide to just give you a game over whenever it feels like it. This game? The random encounters in the Forbidden Wood are not a threat at all. Really the frustrating part is navigating it, not fighting through it. And this isn't that great for boss fights and the such since it doesn't take that long to get back to them, and you don't lose much progress there in most cases. Basically too situational and not that great in this game. Eat something else.

My... Purple meat and orange sauce make it quite vivid!

Yeah, they're complementary colors!
Yes, they do make each other stand out. It is a nice combination.
Y-You think...?

Looks poisonous...
Do you think so? Purple is a beautiful color; does it not make you hungry?
...You really love purple, don't you, Arianna?

Dialogue merges here.

But why is the meat purple? When we brought it, it was a normal color.
This changes color when you cook it. If you mess up the temperature, the entire thing'll turn purple. It's pretty difficult.
The entire thing will be purple...? That sounds delicious, too!
Hrm, you may be right. I think that this temperature is best for steaks, since any more would change the flavor... But it may make for some interesting color combinations for stews and such when combined with vegetables.
...Well, that sounds like it'll turn out to be quite a unique stew.

You should try everything.
Hrm... Then, I'll give it a go!

I'll pass on the taste test.
Hrm... You telling me that makes me want to feed it to you even more.

Dialogue merges here.

Not an Apicius recipe, but a Dame Regina's original.
*chuckle* A recipe with my name, huh? It'll be a long road... but I like the ring to it. Alright, I'll add this to the menu, so order it again whenever you feel like it.

This is what I consider to be the best stat food in the game. In fact, until I discovered the true effects of the Blind and Paralysis food, this was my food of choice for dealing with the post-game. A 5 point stat increase to everything is a huge boon to diverse parties. Sure it's half as effective for specific stats than the other stat foods, but overall it's a 15 point stat gain over them. Of course if you're trying to optimize, and have all STR based attackers or something like that, you're probably better off with the 10 point versions.

Sarmale? ...Not cabbage rolls?
You can think of it as a type of cabbage roll. I'm using pickled leaves to wrap the meat. I also added rice inside, so it might last longer in the stomach than a normal cabbage roll.
Rice...!? Hmm, that sounds interesting. I always thought you only put meat in cabbage rolls!
Chewy and crispy... *giggle* My mouth is quite enjoying this!
Man... Normal dishes like this sure are relaxing.

Considering what our usual is...
Yeah, Apicius's recipes are full of crazy stuff.
That's Apicius's characteristic, so I can't do anything even if you complain to me.
Besides, most of the customers enjoy the novelty of his dishes.
That's something I don't get... Er, the actual taste is great, but...
Yeah, huh? It's great... but crazy sometimes.
I got it, I got it. This dish is on the menu, so order it whenever you need a break from the other dishes. I'll be waiting with the same flavor as always. That is my job.

You need spice sometimes.
When you become like me, you want to just relax. You'll understand eventually.
Knight... becoming like you?
I can't imagine that.
A Sir Bertrand-like Sir Knight... *giggle* That sounds interesting!
We don't need any more bothersome people.
Hey, whaddya all mean by that!?
It's exactly as it sounds.
Now, enough with the gibberish. I'll add this to the menu, so order it whenever you feel like it.
Talk about me was gibberish...?

Every time a party member deals damage, they recover HP equal to 5% of the damage dealt. Ehhh, there are better foods.

Here you go: pumpkin pie. Could you give it a taste now?
It's pretty blue...
I've never seen such a bluer food.
Me neither. If you add a little more red, it would be a beautiful purple...
But this is delicious as-is!
Kid, you eat without hesitation. ...Well, the monster WAS a pumpkin, so I guess everything's okay?

Indeed.
Yeah. A pumpkin is a pumpkin.
Eating monsters is an everyday occurrence for us now, huh...?

But it was a monster.
Ohhh... Normally, that would be true, but don't you think it's a bit late to say that?
This restaurant's food is pretty much all monster-made.
Hey, at least say it's forest-native.

Dialogue merges here.

If you want to eat something sweet, you're free to order it anytime. I'll be waiting.

RIP Elderevenge. Any party member recovers TP equal to 15% of the damage they take from enemies. Yeaaaaah, eat something else.

Anyways, that was the last normal recipe in the game.

She says the same thing as the 2nd time we completed all recipes of a specific type. We get Western Cuisine for our troubles.

Here it is: Imperial manhan quanxi!
Whoa, this is amazing! Huh? This dragon is edible!?
Yeah, the horns and wings are candy, but the actual insides are pretty much dragon meat.
Ooooh...! All meat. Everyone, meat... This is the ultimate.
Yes, I agree!
It was difficult to defeat it, but seeing it like this, it is plump and quite adorable, is it not?

It's attacks weren't adorable.
Oh, you are right...
Definitely not something I want to remember...
But it won't counterattack any more. Meat is good.

It does look adorable.
Right!? We won't have to be so scared the next time we meet it!

...Riiiiight. “Next time.” Sure, whatever you say.

I'd rather not have to meet it at all...

It looks delicious...
U-Um, that's not what I meant...
But the round thighs do look juicy...
Chloe thinks the tail gets a high score.
Young'uns are true to their stomachs, eh?

Dialogue merges here.

Man... They're really all so good. I don't know what to eat next!
That answer is simple. Eat it all.
Yeah, eat as much as you want. That's why I made all of this.
This is worthy of being called the ultimate dish.
But... wasn't this a task to prepare so much food?
It was a bit tiring... But I wanted to answer to you for bringing me such great ingredients.

I'm glad we worked hard!
Hahaha! That's the face I wanted to see! Not only do you bring me ingredients, but you eat my food so deliciously; that's what keeps me going strong.
...Seeing that face makes me reaffirm that it's thanks to you that I made it this far.

You don't need to worry about it.
It's just me acting on my own. It was thanks to you that I was able to focus so much on cooking. It's my little show of gratitude.
Er, this amount of food... That's definitely past “little.”
Do you think? I feel this isn't enough... at least, thinking of you guys.

Dialogue merges here.

Dame Regina...
Now, eat to your heart's content. Filling your bellies is my reward. If you want to fill up, order this dish any time. For you, I'll cook my best.

If everyone dies during a battle, they'll all be revived at 1 HP instead of getting a game over. I dunno, I guess it could be handy? I generally prefer more offensive oriented foods over defensive ones.

But now we've cooked every single food in the game! Regina has something new to say when we talk to her.

I've been writing it for a while now... but Grandpa suggested that I try getting it all down in proper book form. Oh, I know. Why don't you write a little something at the end? I would never have been able to complete this without all your help, after all... so... 'co-author' has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

The next time we enter Cafe...

Knight, Arianna, Flavio, Chloe... and Bertrand, I guess.
Yes?
...'And Bertrand, I guess'?
It was only thanks to you that I was able to recreate the lost recipes of Apicius. ...You've helped me recreate a part of history... one that we thought was lost to the ages. As a chef... no. As a citizen of High Lagaard, you have my gratitude.

You exaggerate too much.
No, I'm not exaggerating at all. My thanks alone are nowhere near enough for all you've done.

We had fun helping out.
] Had fun, eh? It's... a little embarrassing to hear that from you... but it makes me happy to hear that as well.

We did help a lot.
Haha, I suppose so. You have every reason to be proud.

Dialogue merges here.

But... it's strange. When I first started running this place, I wasn't concerned at all with the history of High Lagaard. All I could think about was gaining my independence, and convincing everyone of my worth... That feels so long ago, now. I think... it was thanks to you that I was able to change.
Hah, but that's enough from me. Do you have some time after this? I've actually prepared a little something for you.
A little something...?
Yes, it's over here!

https://gfycat.com/UnfitDeadCaiman.webm
Th-This is amazing...! Look at all these dishes!
Dame Regina, what's this about...?
It's celebrating the completion of the menu. Everything's on the house today, so eat all you want!
Eat all we want... She said it. You all heard her say it.
Whoa there, lady. You might regret saying that to Chloe.
Never. On the contrary--I'll cook until she says she can't eat another bite.
Challenge accepted. Today... I will eat!

Today... I will eat too!
Sure. Eat all you want!

Let's not get too crazy...
No need. Today's a day for celebration. Come on, sit down. Eat all you want!

Thanks, Regina.
Save it for after you've eaten. Seeing you enjoy my food, and calling it delicious, is the only thanks I want.

Dialogue merges here.

*munch* *munch* *swallow* ...Gotta try this too. *munch* *munch*
Chloe! I was gonna eat that!
No. This is my meat. You can have this instead.
Uggggh! D-Don't pass me the deep-fried carcasses! Give those to the others!
Ahaha! I'm getting accustomed to the sight of it now. Though it did surprise me at first...
Customers order it just for grins, but it seems to be catching on because of how good it actually is. ...These High Lagaard guys sure are big-hearted.
Apicius is from High Lagaard originally. *munch* *munch* Cooking things whole might be a tradition here.
I want seconds.
Sure. You want an extra large helping, right? What about you, Flavio?
Yes please! I'd like it extra large too!
You better pace yourself, kid. There's a lot more where that came from.
Heh... Don't worry about it. So, you think you'll be needing seconds too?

Extra large!
Sure thing! Eat all you want.

Just the usual for me.
About this much, in other words. Heh... Guess at some point I memorized your usual serving size.

No thanks.
What, are you getting cold feet?
*chuckle* I'm kidding. Feel free to eat however fast or slow you want.

Dialogue merges here.

I want seconds.
What...!? B-But she just served you an extra-large portion! ...I-I haven't even finished mine.
But I'll try my hardest to have seconds, so please save some for me, Dame Regina!
Haha, you got it...

Fade to black.

Thank you for the meal...!
Oh man... I'm completely stuffed... This is bliss...
You had quite the appetite.
But... I wasn't expecting you to actually finish everything I made.
Almost didn't make it.
...Urp.
Hey, you better not puke.
I'm not going to throw up. That would be a crime against Regina's cooking.
That's for sure! I'd feel terrible if I threw up a perfect meal like that...
...I'm glad to hear that. But the only reason I could make all that great food was because of you. I wouldn't be who I am now – Regina Dubois, master chef - if I didn't have you all standing with me every step of the way.
Dame Regina...
Your work on the recipes may be over, but this cafe will always be here. Just promise that you'll keep coming here. And that you'll keep ordering my cooking.

And that's it for cooking, we are completely done with it!

Next time: Finishing up and cleaning up loose ends.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 4, 2016

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Update 70: Wyrm

SYSTEM: The colossal dragon stands there, just as you left it. It stares you down with an arrogant air of superiority, but the blazing heat is enough to tell you its pride is well-founded... Your bodies tense as you lock eyes with the dragon...

Remember: big dumb lizard.
O-once we've defeated it, there'll be nothing to be worried about...
Heh. You're exactly right... All the reason more for us to be victorious. Come, then...let us strike!
SYSTEM: Now, draw your weapon and step forward! The time has come to slay the dragon directly before you!

I think a few pics are mixed up here?

Dr. Fetus posted:

Bonus: Draconic Cooking Part 1

Wha...!?
Oh, me too! I like Regina, too!
Sh-Shut up! You guys are making such a big fuss over a bowl of rice!

And here Ranger is saying Regina's(?) line.

Anyways, I'm not getting the error with Cass and the sword. Was it flat out stolen in EO2, or something?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Booky posted:

Anyways, I'm not getting the error with Cass and the sword. Was it flat out stolen in EO2, or something?

...I'm a colossal moron and should've read Cass's dialogue closer. I'll go and remove that note, but I think the dialogue could still fit.

Also yeah, those images got mixed up. Shouldn't be that hard a fix.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I get the feeling that the later food conversations weren't proofread as thoroughly as other things in this game. Typos are one thing, but some of the lines also seemed just a bit awkward to me.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Booky posted:

I think a few pics are mixed up here?

And here Ranger is saying Regina's(?) line.

Oops. Well I can't fix that at the moment.

There's none. I checked the original game, and the circumstances change slightly, but not by much. Instead of handing off the sword to the phony guard yourself, you leave it with Cass. Who then hands it off to the phony guard.

What he's trying to do is cover up for Marion (this is more clear if you ask Cass what the hell he's talking about and talk with Marion afterward, who reveals he took the bullet for her.) Unfortunately, the original game kind of mistranslated that section and it just looks like Cass has lost his mind. The remake makes it much more clear what he's trying to do.

Clarste posted:

I get the feeling that the later food conversations weren't proofread as thoroughly as other things in this game. Typos are one thing, but some of the lines also seemed just a bit awkward to me.

Okay so it wasn't just me. Yeah as I was making the updates, the dialogue felt a bit more stilted and awkward than usual. It almost looked like the characters were talking about unrelated things at a few points.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 3, 2016

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
Right, let's do this.

Name: Morris
Class: Necromancer
Skin: Top row 2
Hair: Bottom row 5
Eyes: Top row 4
Voice: Excitable

Morris's business cards used to say "troubadour," but his gigs--mostly kid's birthday parties and senior centers--always seemed to end the same way: with the unwelcome appearance of a troupe of ghastly spectral backup dancers, followed shortly by his speedy exit from the venue trailed by projectile party favors or tubes of denture adhesive, or in extreme cases actual torches and pitchforks. Attempts to spin this as part of the act were met with, at best, stony silence, and all efforts to prevent it from happening at all were futile.

It was not until he was fleeing a tavern near Armoroad that he encountered a wandering zodiac who took an interest in his problem. After weeks of poking, prodding, measuring, and divination she informed him that, by pure happenstance, nearly every facet of his being, from the hour of his birth to the proportions of his body to his mean resting heart rate to the mineral composition of his hair, was cosmologically (and funkadelically) attuned to the primal rhythms of life and death. The merest hint of a waggle of a groove thang was sufficient to set up sympathetic vibrations in the ether powerful enough to yank the slumbering dead back into this world, filled with a fearsome need to shake their moneymakers.

Faced with this explanation of his repeated failures, Morris reluctantly shelved his dreams of bringing joy to children and retirees and restyled himself as...the necrodancer.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

quote:

SYSTEM: You have not yet heard the truth from her, but she clearly holds the sword that you uncovered--the [Color:0x0005]Winged God's Sword[Color:0x0000]... As you watch in awe, the red dragon scores a punishing hit on the lone fighter, knocking them off their feet! You immediately rush to the motionless figure's side.

There's also the small matter of the color code being broken right near the beginning of Update 70.

quote:

Morris the Necrodancer

:drac:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Aniodia posted:

There's also the small matter of the color code being broken right near the beginning of Update 70.
:drac:

I fixed the color control codes (god I should've just mass find-replaced those forever ago, they've bit me in the rear end so many times), but what is the broken thing near the start of the update? Or was that the color control codes around the Winged God's Sword?

Rea fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 5, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Small announcement because I feel like it: I now have everything left in the game recorded--30F, Dinogator, Nadia 1v1'ing Master Bird, the superboss, and the final 100% dialogue/credits. The end of the LP is nigh--if I was gonna use a somewhat-reasonable guess, it might even be over by some time next week.

And I still have the loving Beast and Highlander class writeups to do. :suicide:

I'm gonna get all of those things out of the way much earlier in EO5 because good lord my "schedule" for those things in this one was embarrassing.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

If you don't mind me asking, how long will it be between this LP ending and the EOV LP starting? Guessing you're gonna have a small break before jumping into it, at the least.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

BlackPersona posted:

If you don't mind me asking, how long will it be between this LP ending and the EOV LP starting? Guessing you're gonna have a small break before jumping into it, at the least.

Oh hell no. My current plan's to open EO5 within a couple of hours of EO2U ending, if not immediately after the final update goes up. :v:

My friends are all getting back into the swing of school (my summer and fall semester this year have been spent on an internship required by my school's CS program) so I spend less evenings after work playing Overwatch with them, and working on an LP is a good way to fill up that time gap.

Yes, that's why the LP slowed down really badly after June: a bunch of my friends got Overwatch and we spent drat near every night during the summer playing it. :v:

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Wow, doing another LP just after one is finished? That's some dedication.

Name: Corvus
Class: Reaper
Portrait: 3B
Skin Color: First row, 6th
Hair Color: 105, 109, 177 (highlight) 55, 58, 101 (shade)
Eye Color: 250, 180, 123 (highlight) 199, 98, 69 (shade)
Voice: Cocky

Corvus (real name: Johnathan) didn't initially wanted to be a Reaper, he wanted to be a Troubadour but his sense of style and his taste of music were too different from normal Troubadors that he didn't get the job. At least Reapers get a cool outfit and a sweet scythe to go with it, which is fine by him.. Probably one of the friendlier adventurers despite appearances.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Pyro Jack posted:

Wow, doing another LP just after one is finished? That's some dedication.

I'd call it less "dedication" and more "the workflow is almost exactly the same," as well as "I need something to do with my spare time." :v:

Apropos of nothing, I felt like sharing this small snippet from the Discord Clartse, alcharagia and I use to coordinate:

quote:

Ragnar Homsar - Today at 2:04 AM
another EO5 submission
lotta male characters this time around

Kinu - Today at 2:05 AM
all that sapphic desire in eo2u musta done it

(Kinu is alcharagia)

Rea fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 6, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So what purpose is there in challenging and rechallenging dragons? Well, DLC quests, I suppose.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
After reading this LP I understand why Atlus USA charged money only for Treasures Untold and Eldritch Hound, they were trying to save people from the worst DLC in the game.
Glad I was feeling too cheap to buy DLC so I never experienced those particular ones first hand.....

I guess that doesn't explain the Original Sin DLC being free though, but though I tried that one I didn't get far enough in the annoying always foggy 31F to fight the boss.

That's really cool that you are doing EO5! So far I have gotten up to the 5th stratum boss and it'll be cool seeing the game in a language I can read more than just "pick out some of the words and remember the attack names".
And I have a feeling that Atlus USA won't release it for quite some time given that they probably have their hands very full with trying to get Persona 5 out the door at the moment.

I think EO5 is perhaps my personal #2 favorite EO.... while EOU was OK and EOU2 was quite good, they both suffered from some dumb BS like Grimoires, bad bosses and the baggage from story mode.
EO5 has some very cool moments in it in terms of boss fights and dungeon/FOE puzzles. And as is usual some really cool music and artwork.
While I have sort of a huge soft spot for EO4, maybe since it was the first and is the easiest to pick up and play, I would give EO5 the #2 spot over EO3 since while EO3 is very cool cosmetically/story wise it has some big problems with class/skill balance.

I vote for including a Cestus with the angry shouting guy portrait because that's the best EO5 character.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Glazius posted:

So what purpose is there in challenging and rechallenging dragons? Well, DLC quests, I suppose.

If you missed the conditional or the rare drops and want to try again for those. Or level grinding up to 99. That's pretty much one of the better ways if you don't have access to the DLC quests.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Dr. Fetus posted:

If you missed the conditional or the rare drops and want to try again for those. Or level grinding up to 99. That's pretty much one of the better ways if you don't have access to the DLC quests.

Also making the things that need dragon meats in mass...if you even LIKE those effects I suppose. I thought there was one that needed all three dragons meats, but I guess I was wrong on that one.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Beasts are the tank class. It's as simple as that. They have a tree for physical damage skills, but its overall effectiveness can best be summed up with a semi-old Dota meme:

There is no reason to use a Beast as a physical damage dealer when you have other classes with far better skills and far better stats for it. Beasts are far better off being used as full-time tanks, and I'd argue they're way better at keeping your party alive than Protectors in random encounters and in almost every boss fight, barring really bad ones like the dragons.

Level 99 Stats
HP: 714
TP: 353
STR: 60
TEC: 42
VIT: 68
AGI: 47
LUC: 48

Innate weapon choices: Claw

Innate armor choices: Collar (note that most defensive equipment cannot be put on a Beast)

Common passives: HP Up, TP Up, Phys ATK Up, Phys DEF Up, Natural Instinct

Beasts have stats you'd expect out of a tank: high HP, high VIT. Their STR's not too bad, but it's pretty mediocre as far as lategame damage dealer STR stats go. AGI doesn't matter a ton since the various protecting skills basically all have priority. TEC's on the medium-low end of the spectrum, which doesn't matter one bit if you put Bikini Armor on them. TP's pretty bad, just 13 more than the lowest of 340 (Ronin), but Beast skills are all fairly cheap, so it doesn't matter a ton.

Loyalty Mastery
Requirements: None

Required to learn protecting skills. Gives the user a chance to halve any incoming damage instance.

The only mastery skill in the game where I'd say it's unambiguously good and not just "it's there." Beasts having high HP already means they can take quite a lot of punishment, but having a chance to halve any incoming damage is even better. There's been quite a few times throughout this LP where Loyalty Mastery activating has saved Ursa from what would've been death otherwise.

Lick Wounds
Requirements: Loyalty Mastery level 1
Body parts used: Head

Restores one party member's HP. Also removes a set amount of binds. Has an 80% speed modifier at all levels.

Beasts having fairly low TEC means that Lick Wounds isn't as strong as it could be, given its healing power, and the way you'll be using Beasts most of the time (spamming Hit-Taker) means using it if you're not in an emergency (like your Beast's arms being bound) is a seriously risky proposition. However, in the late and postgame, it's worth putting points into because of...

Auto-Lick
Requirements: Lick Wounds level 5

If the user knows Lick Wounds, gives them a chance to use it whenever they take damage or have a body part bound, at the end of the damage/bind source's turn.

A 16%/24% chance to use Lick Wounds for free whenever your Beast takes damage is really goddamn amazing, and can really prolong your Beast's lifespan. Combine it with an Auto-Heal Legendary Grimoire effect (if you're lucky enough to snag it), and your Beast becomes nigh-unkillable.

Protect
Requirements: Loyalty Mastery level 3
Body parts used: Arms

Takes all damage for one party member for one turn. Lowers damage taken from blocked attacks. If the user's arms become bound while taking damage, Protect will stop working.

Protecting one person isn't really that important in EO2U due to how many multi-target skills get thrown around, so eh.

Hit-Taker
Requirements: Loyalty Mastery level 3

Protects all party members from a set number of damage instances for one turn. Lowers damage taken from blocked attacks. If the user's arms become bound while taking damage, Hit-Taker will stop working.

A Beast's absolute most basic, bread-and-butter skill. If you have a Beast, you are pretty much going to always be spamming this every single turn until either your Beast dies, needs to be cured of a disable, or runs out of TP.

Protection Vow
Requirements: Protect level 3, Hit-Taker level 3

Places a buff on the user that lowers all damage done to them, in addition to making them take damage in place of party members below 50% HP for a set amount of turns, and for a certain amount of times per turn. Every time the user takes damage for another party member, the chance of them taking damage again on that turn is reduced. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

Protection Vow's most general use is as a 45% defense buff that isn't subject to the diminishing returns system. For the actual "protect allies under 50%" thing, that is...situational at best. On the one hand, you can intentionally lower everyone but your Beast to <50% HP and then have your Beast spam the Defend command while Protection Vow's active and they'll effectively take 37% damage from all damage sources. On the other, why would you set up something that potentially risky given that basically no boss necessitates it?

Self-Defense
Requirements: Loyalty Mastery level 5

Places a buff on the user that increases their physical/elemental defense, but also lowers their physical attack by 30%, for a set amount of turns. Has a 200% speed modifier at all levels.

Pretty standard defense buff, aside from the physical attack reduction, which basically does not matter if you're using a tank Beast. It's pretty cheap TP-wise and Beasts generally have quite a few leftover skill points, so you might as well invest in it once you've gotten everything else and cast it when your Beast has a turn to set up.

Beast Roar
Requirements: Loyalty Mastery level 7

Reduces all enemies' physical attack for a set number of turns. Has a 150% speed modifier at all levels.

Decent for random encounters when combined with Preemptive Roar, pretty mediocre as far as boss fights go.

Preemptive Roar
Requirements: Beast Roar level 5

If the user knows Beast Roar, gives them a chance to use it immediately when starting a battle.

If you're using Beast Roar to make your Beast's job easier in random encounters, might as well toss some points into this.

NOTE: Because Beast attack skills are all such garbage, I will not be adding my own notes for them.

Claw Mastery

Required to learn claw skills. Passively increases damage dealt with claws.

Tiger Blow
Requirements: Claw Mastery level 1
Required equipment: Claw

Deals melee STR-based Bash damage to one enemy. Heals the user for 50% of the damage dealt. Has no speed or accuracy modifier at all levels.

Wolf Fang
Requirements: Tiger Blow level 5

Deals 3 instances of melee STR-based Cut damage to one target. Damage scales based on the user's current HP relative to their max HP (damage goes down with lower % HP)--the specifics behind this cannot be deduced from skill data. Has no speed or accuracy modifier at all levels.

Comet Drop
Requirements: Claw Mastery level 3
Body parts used: Legs

Deals melee STR-based Bash damage to one row of enemies. Deals melee STR-based Bash damage to the user after use. Has no speed modifier and -10 accuracy at all levels.

Wildblow
Requirements: Comet Drop level 5

Deals melee STR-based Bash damage to one enemy. Damage scales based on the user's current HP relative to their max HP (damage goes up with lower % HP)--the specifics behind this cannot be deduced from skill data. Has no speed or accuracy modifier at all levels.

Beast Dance
Requirements: Claw Mastery level 5

Deals melee STR-based Cut damage to all enemies. Has a 50% speed modifier and no accuracy modifier at all levels.

Savage Rush
Requirements: Claw Mastery level 7

Deals 3-6 instances of melee STR-based Bash damage to random enemies. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has an 80% speed modifier and -40 accuracy at all levels.

Berserk
Requirements: Beast Dance level 3, Savage Rush level 3

Deals 5 instances of melee STR-based Cut damage to random enemies and allies. Can hit the same target multiple times. If the target is an ally, the damage is halved (rounded down if a fraction).

Has no speed and accuracy modifiers at all levels.

Endurance
Requirements: Loyalty Mastery level 10, Claw Mastery level 10

Lowers all damage to the user for this turn. At the end of the turn, deals melee Cut damage to all enemies. Every time the user is damaged between the cast time and the attack, the damage is multiplied by 1.25x. The damage is capped at 3x the base damage. Endurance uses the average of the user's STR and VIT as a substitute for STR in the normal damage formula. Has no accuracy modifier at all levels.

Endurance really only works with Protection Vow or someone else using Scapegoat on your Beast, and it's really goddamn bad solely because of those facts.

Deadly Resolve
Requirements: HP Up level 5

Passively gives the user a chance to survive mortal hits at 1 HP. Aegis and Deadly Resolve are technically the same skill, and cannot be stacked.

Arguably far, far more important on a Beast than a Protector, due to the nature of tanking. Again, there's been several times throughout this LP where Aegis/Deadly Resolve has saved Ursa from what would've been death otherwise.

Bull Charge
Requirements: Phys ATK Up level 5, Phys DEF Up level 5

Raises the damage the user deals and lowers the damage they take until the end of the next turn. Has a 200% speed modifier at all levels.

Eh. You have to interrupt your Beast using Hit-Taker to use this. "Until the end of next turn" means you could maybe get a little use out of it with Fafnir and Accelerate, if you really don't want to use Force Charge for whatever reason.

Desperation
Force Boost

Triples the user's maximum HP. Sets their HP to their new maximum.

Desperation turns Beasts from effective tanks into complete walls. Short of skills designed to just straight-up cause a game over, it's really hard for a Beast under the effects of Desperation to die.

True Endurance
Force Break

For one turn, the user will take all damage directed at every party member. The user cannot die while True Endurance is active, aside from instant death. All ailments/binds directed at the user are nullified during True Endurance, aside from instant death. At the end of the turn, deals melee STR-based stab damage to all enemies if the user is not at full HP. The end-of-turn damage linearly scales from 300% to 900% based on the user's level.

Gives your party a free turn to do whatever. Perfect for bypassing skills that are designed to overkill your party with no recourse. The only downside to it over Perfect Defense, really, is that your Beast'll probably be left at pretty low HP by the end, since it doesn't reduce damage like Hit-Taker does.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Reaper: Dr. Fetus's Raven (1A), Tyty's Teyla (4A), Pyro Jack's Corvus (3B)
Necromancer: blizzardvizard's Jude (1A), Wonderslug's Morris (3A)
Herbalist: Dr. Fetus's Wanna (4B), FriskyBoat's Dak (3A), mischeviousart's Caleb (3A), Pyro Jack's Cassie (4B)

Clarste posted:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

EO2 Beast is in my opinion, the worst class in the entire series. Having their tanking capabilities tied to a passive that you can't turn off (And making it so that the Beast's defense was based on the party members they were defending) was such a stupid idea. It didn't help that several programming oversights caused the passive to not stack with the Beast's own defensive skills, making them even worse than intended. Then EO2U made it one of the best support classes in the game. But the lack of elemental damage nullification is a bit of a damper if you don't have access to the hot springs DLC.

If there is an EO3U, I really hope one specific class (:argh:) gets the treatment Beast did.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Dr. Fetus posted:

EO2 Beast is in my opinion, the worst class in the entire series. Having their tanking capabilities tied to a passive that you can't turn off (And making it so that the Beast's defense was based on the party members they were defending) was such a stupid idea. It didn't help that several programming oversights caused the passive to not stack with the Beast's own defensive skills, making them even worse than intended. Then EO2U made it one of the best support classes in the game. But the lack of elemental damage nullification is a bit of a damper if you don't have access to the hot springs DLC.

If there is an EO3U, I really hope one specific class (:argh:) gets the treatment Beast did.

I just put antifire/ice/volt grimoires on the beast though...

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
The beast went from the absolute worst to absolutely amazing with the way EO2U revamped things.

Name: Non
Class: Shaman
Portrait: 1B, darker green hair than the default color
Voice: 11 (Gentle)

Non has lived as a wanderer for as far back as Non can remember. Non has sometimes lived in a town and sometimes lived in the wild. Non has lived with people and left them when it was time to. Non has lived with animals and left them to meet new animals. Non's latest trek brought Non to a town that wants to explore the unknown. Non wants to wander in a place Non hasn't seen yet. Non speaks in the third person for no reason, Non just does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Highlanders are a damage dealer class that focuses on a theme of manipulating HP to use skills. They originate from EOU, where they were the protagonist's class. In that game, Highlander was a really drat good class, partially because its innate stats were ever-so-slightly higher than most other physical damage classes, partially because Delayed + Cross Charge was insanely powerful, and partially because Bloody Offense was so stupidly overtuned compared to most damage buffs. In EO2U, they're considerably less impressive, mostly because their numbers are still roughly EOU level, which means they don't stand out as much compared to everyone else. The only thing that stands out about them is that they're a physical class that focuses on stab damage. That's, uh...good for the 4th Stratum, with all of its bird enemies, I guess.

Stats

Level 1
HP: 38
TP: 24
STR: 9
TEC: 6
VIT: 7
AGI: 7
LUC: 6

Level 50
HP: 239
TP: 190
STR: 36
TEC: 23
VIT: 31
AGI: 32
LUC: 21

Level 99
HP: 547
TP: 355
STR: 68
TEC: 43
VIT: 59
AGI: 61
LUC: 39

Innate weapon choices: Spear

Innate armor choices: Light armor, Clothes, Shield

Common passives: HP Up, TP Up, Phys ATK Up, Phys DEF Up, Mine

Highlanders are, stat-wise, incredibly similar to Landsknechts, except for slightly higher TEC, considerably higher AGI and slightly lower VIT and LUC. Their HP and TP are roughly similar (good and bad, respectively), and they have literally equal STR--68, which, remember, is the second-highest of any of the classes at 99.

Spear Mastery

Required to learn spear skills. Increases damage dealt with spears.

Long Thrust
Requirements: Spear Mastery level 1
Required equipment: Spear

Deals ranged STR-based stab damage to one enemy.

Despite how boring Long Thrust is, it's still one of the better choices for "what your Highlander does while waiting for Delayed Charge." I may be the first person in the world who has gotten use out of the fact that it's ranged, honestly.

Draining/Legion Thrust/Burst
Requirements:
  • Draining Thrust: Spear Mastery level 2
  • Legion Thrust: Spear Mastery level 2
  • Draining Burst: Draining Thrust level 5
  • Legion Burst: Legion Thrust level 5

(Draining Thrust)
(Legion Thrust)
(Draining Burst)
(Legion Burst)

Consumes 20% (Thrust) or 40% (Burst) of the user's (Draining) or the party's (Legion) current HP to deal melee STR-based stab damage to the front enemy row (Thrust) or all enemies (Burst). Has an 80% speed modifier and +10 base accuracy at all levels.

All of these skills are essentially the same, so I lumped them together in one entry. Basically the only encounter-clearing skills that Highlander has, so you might as well pick one of them and put some points in it. I slightly prefer Draining over Legion, even though it deals slightly less damage. Alternatively, you could also just have another party member that's better at clearing encounters, like an Alchemist.

Head Pierce
Requirements: Spear Mastery level 3

Deals melee STR-based stab damage to one enemy. Attempts to inflict instant death and head bind on the target. Has an 80% speed modifier at all levels.

Head Pierce is pretty awful. It's one of the few sources of instant death, yes, but given that Highlanders have one of the worst LUC stats in the class roster, good luck making any use of it.

Spear Assist
Requirements: Spear Mastery level 5

Deals melee STR-based Stab damage to one enemy at the end of the turn. If an elemental attack was used before Spear Assist, its damage is doubled, and the element is added to Spear Assist. Has +10 base accuracy at all levels.

If you're not spamming Spear Assist from turn to turn while waiting for Delayed Charge, you should be spamming Spear Assist. It's still fairly low damage, but it lets your Highlander have some elemental damage if you have another source in your party, which you definitely should.

Delayed Charge
Requirements: Spear Mastery level 10

Consumes 15% of the user's current HP to prepare Delayed Charge at the start of the turn it's used. A set amount of turns later, Delayed Charge will activate, and deal melee STR-based stab damage to one enemy. Can be activated with Cross Charge. If activated before the turn counter on activation is 0, reduces damage by a multiplier based on Delayed Charge level. The penalty is (BasePenalty ^ NumberOfEarlyTurns).

This is one of the two big Highlander damage skills, the other being Cross Charge. I...don't have a lot to say about it, actually.

Cross Charge
Requirements: Delayed Charge level 3

Consumes a percentage of the user's current HP to deal melee STR-based stab damage to one enemy. Activates Delayed Charge immediately at the start of the turn if it is active. Cross Charge's damage is doubled if it activates Delayed Charge. Has a +20 accuracy modifier if it activates Delayed Charge at all levels. Costs 8 TP at all levels.

A fairly unremarkable skill aside from its interaction with Delayed Charge. Combined with Delayed Charge, however, results in one of the biggest sources of burst damage in the game that doesn't require fairly elaborate setup.

Turning Tide
Requirements: Phys ATK Up level 1

Passively restores a fixed amount of HP plus a percentage of each party member's max HP to each party member when the user kills an enemy.

It's okay for random encounters, I guess, but in most boss fights, even those with summons, any skill points you put in it do effectively nothing.

Bloody Offense
Requirements: Phys ATK Up level 3

Increases one row's physical/elemental attack for a set amount of turns, at the cost of 10% of their current HP for all actions during the duration. Has an 80% speed modifier at all levels.

Absolutely laughable compared to its EOU version. Bloody Offense is stronger than most buff skills (by 5%), yes, but it's row-target only, which is a pretty big strike compared to something like Warrior Song, given that your Highlander has other things, like dealing damage, to do. For the record, in EOU, Bloody Offense gave a 50% increase at level 10, and 70% when using a level 10 version with Boost.

Bloodlust
Requirements: Turning Tide level 3, Bloody Offense level 3

Passively gives the user a chance to perform a normal attack, with bonus damage, whenever they lose HP. Can only activate once per turn. Has a +10 accuracy modifier at all levels.

Why?

Stigmata
Requirements: Phys ATK Up level 5
Body parts used: None

Inflicts a number of random binds (or all types, if level 10 or above) on the user. After that, attempts to copy the user's binds to one enemy. The self-inflicted binds can be blocked by Barrier and Fairy Robe, which can cause the transfer to fail. Equipment that gives resistance to binds and Curb DEF Up reduce the chance of the user inflicting binds on themself. Self-inflicted binds do not take accumulative resistance into account, and do not add to the user's accumulative resistance. Has an 80% speed modifier at all levels.

Hoo boy, okay. Stigmata is garbage on an actual Highlander, and will just result in you completely disabling one of your damage dealers for no reason. On a Hexer, though, is an entirely different story. With Curb ATK Up and especially Creeping Curse, Stigmata turns into a near-guaranteed chance to completely bind an enemy. If it doesn't completely bind them? You can just use it again, since it doesn't use a body part!

Battle Instinct
Requirements: Phys DEF Up level 1

Whenever a battle starts, there is a chance that the user will give the entire party a buff that makes them immune to status ailments. The buff is dispelled when ailment is blocked. The buff lasts 5 turns at all levels.

Pretty useful when going through a stratum that has enemies that inflict ailments (the 4th and 6th, for example). The question is, is it worth investing skill points in it when it does very little for boss fights?

Blood Fortune
Requirements: Phys DEF Up level 3

Consumes 15% of every party member's HP to give each of them a buff that increases their ailment/bind infliction rates for a set amount of turns. Has a 80% speed modifier at all levels. Seemingly bugged in the same way as Health Requiem and Weakness Curse.

Probably bugged, so bleh.

Allied Bonds
Requirements: Battle Instinct level 3, Blood Fortune level 3

Passively restores TP to other party members in the user's row if their HP was drained by the user's skills that turn.

Why?

Spirit Shield
Requirements: Phys DEF Up level 5

Consumes 10% of the user's current HP to give everyone in their line a buff that increases their elemental defense for a set amount of turns. Has a 150% speed modifier at all levels.

You're better off just having a Troubadour and using Shelter Song if you really want a defense buff, honestly. Spirit Shield's stronger than your usual defense buff, but not by much in the long run.

Limitless
Requirements: HP Up level 1

Raises damage dealt for the next turn. Allows the use of all skills, regardless of equipped weapon, for one turn.

Bad charge skill, extra bad effect.

Black Sabbath
Requirements: HP Up level 10

Deals ranged STR-based untyped damage to all enemies, and restores the total damage done to each party member. Black Sabbath cannot deal more damage than the party has HP. If any enemies have status ailments or binds, they are transferred to every party member. The base damage is divided by (PartyAverageHPPercent * 100). Will always miss if the party is at 100% average HP. Has a 150% speed modifier at all levels. Does not check for accuracy.

...What? What is this goddamn bizarre and random skill? Why would you ever use this thing? It serves literally no purpose and requires maxing out a passive just to learn, no less.

Hero Battle
Force Boost

Increases damage dealt with spear skills by 50%. Heals the party for 25% of damage dealt with spear attacks and skills.

Damage-increasing Force Boost. The heal is fairly nice, actually, and can help sustain a Beast or give your other healers a few turns' respite.

Gae Bolg
Force Break

Consumes 20% of each party members' HP for a ranged STR-based untyped attack to all enemies. Damage scales linearly from 600% to 1800% depending on user level. Gae Bolg has no damage type at all. This is different from Almighty damage; enemies have resistance to Almighty damage (although almost all of them just have 100%). Gae Bolg simply has no damage type (the byte that determines damage type is set to 0x00) and as such completely ignores all resistances.

A big nuke Force Break that's only notable because of the fact that it deals untyped damage.

• Locked thread