Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
(This will be posted after every EO2U update until the LP is finished.)

(Addendum: for EO2U early submissions, if you're thinking about submitting a character, I ask that you try and think of one for the classes that don't have as many submissions as the others, for variety's sake. At the time of this post, this includes Dragoon, Shaman, Masurao, Necromancer, and especially Fencer.)

This is your regular reminder that early EO5 character submissions are still open. For reference, we currently have the following submissions for each class:

Fencer: Aniodia's Anya (1B)
Dragoon: BlackPersona's Nolan (3B), Grashbar's Sheila (2A)
Cestus: Level Seven's Duke (3B), Tyty's Jill (2A), GeminiSun's Amelie (Earthrun F)
Reaper: Dr. Fetus's Raven (1A), Tyty's Teyla (4A), Pyro Jack's Corvus (3B)
Warlock: AweStriker's Nille (4B), Aniodia's Kaelin (3A), theshim's Aurora (4A)
Necromancer: blizzardvizard's Jude (1A), Wonderslug's Morris (3A)
Hound: Kemix's Ritz (1B), GeminiSun's Kaede (1A), mischievousart's Gram (4B)
Masurao: GeminiSun's Momoka (1A), BlackPersona's Shin (3B)
Shaman: Dr. Fetus's Gabbo (1A), Level Seven's Non (1B)
Herbalist: Dr. Fetus's Wanna (4B), FriskyBoat's Dak (3A), mischeviousart's Caleb (3A), Pyro Jack's Cassie (4B)

(alcharagia's Warlock is not listed because, being one of the co-authors of the LP, she is disqualified. Her entry was merely meant to stir up creativity.)

Want to get in on submitting your own character if you haven't yet? The EO5 intro update is over here, and character creation info is here. Remember to provide a voice for your character (I forgot to put that in the creation info), which can be sampled in the intro update. Remember, also, that you're free to submit as many classes as you want, with the caveat that only one character from you can win.

Also, here's some very sound advice regarding EO5's world and how it might affect characters from Clarste:

Clarste posted:

Frankly I'm not even sure if I should mention this, but reading all these character suggestions makes me wonder about how they'd fit into the setting of the world. I see a lot of profiles that talk about growing up in "the city" or whatever, and I just have to wonder how they got there. I mean, the city of Aeolis isn't a central metropolis or anything, it's a relatively small town that's currently undergoing a huge gold rush style boom now that exploration is legal. Basically none of the characters you meet were born there: they're all immigrants from all over the continent. Each race other than Earthrun also comes from a very specific culture, and it's implied that there's not normally all that much cross-pollination between the races. Like, Therians are from a Spartan culture where each child is trained to use a weapon from a young age, and to hunt for their own survival. Lunarians simply want to unlock the secrets of the universe, which maybe other people think is dabbling in things man was not meant to know. Brownies live in harmony with nature, but are also known for being especially materialistic and greedy. These three different cultures are basically at the center of why people want to explore Yggdrasil: for glory, knowledge, or treasure.

Not that anyone should feel obligated to stick close to that when making a character. Those are just the stereotypes, and even the game takes pleasure in subverting them. But the interactions of the four races is sort of a big thematic point of the game. Not everyone gets along with everyone else at first, and this melting pot they find themselves in is a bit of a novelty. It's just... an interesting time for an explorer to find themselves in. I say this not to limit your creativity, but maybe to give you a launching point. That's the hope anyway.

Rea fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Another Shaman, I guess?

Name: Paige
Class: Shaman
Portrait: A4, with pale eyes -- think "blind seer"
Voice: Old-Fashioned

Sure, Paige has the Sight--or clairvoyance, or ESP, or future vision, or whatever else you want to call it. Especially acute Sight, no less--which is sort of the problem. Cosmic-class prophecies are so deeply alien to the daily life of a Brownie in a quiet Plains town as to be irrelevant--who cares whether "the moon will be as blood, and the seas as ash, come the day of the King in Yellow, blessed be his name"? Paige wanted to win bets and avoid getting hit by carts, not to foresee the end of civilization in a parallel reality or to witness the birth of a curséd star whose hideous name was Wormwood. Like, if it's not going to turn the seas into blood this century, we probably don't need to stockpile water, you know?

By means of a variety of material foci--Zener cards, tarot cards, talismans, the occasional blank piece of card stock just to keep the Gods guessing--Paige has managed to significantly narrow down the range of her Sight, albeit just to "continent-sized" instead of "all time and space." She came to Aeolis to make her fortune on minor foretelling (Brownies don't need all that much in the way of prophecy) whilst refining her card-based fortune-telling to a science, only to discover something curious: her visions had stopped concerning themselves with anything but events inside Yggdrasil. Convinced that the Labyrinth was the key to her divine science--and somewhat concerned that the end of the world might've suddenly become way too local for comfort--Paige managed to convince a local explorers' guild to hire her on, ostensibly as a "geomancer" for avoiding spiritual troubles, but mostly as a good-luck charm... as a person, Paige likes gambling (especially on cards), seeming more mysterious than she is, and big dinners.

EDIT: And since there's a dearth of them...

Name: Sette
Class: Fencer
Portrait: B4, with hair the same white as her torso and eyes the same red as her... skirt thing
Voice: Soldier

Everyone has heard tell of the legendary Knight of the Arc--the vigilante, tied to no country, but as impermanent as the wind, a dashing and romantic figure, who dispatched a thousand armed soldiers in a single night...

Well, everyone except the Knight herself, who kind of remembers all those guys being drunk and having to "fend off" -- i.e. make threatening motions at with a small saber -- a few morons who mistook her for an enemy combatant. The next morning, someone was found dead by unrelated means, and the blame was laid on her head, but Sette was always fairly good at not getting caught. Her evasion of said guards likewise grew in the retelling, partially due to guards who didn't want to admit they'd been outrun and outwitted by some rando fencer. Two weeks of the rumor mill grinding later, Sette was a folk heroine called Lancetta, the D'Arc Knight, a master of four-sword style who had stolen and refined to perfection the esoteric techniques of the mystic East (although opinion was divided as to whether she also fought by strapping guns to her feet and performing high-impact gun-based martial arts).

Sette is kind of understandably wigged out by this, but over time, she's grown into the "folk heroine" role; in fact, she claims it's improved her handling of the sword to know mythographers are industriously writing papers about her, not to mention that her old weapons will probably sell for a mint once she's old and gray. As for the Labyrinth... well, is unbelievable fame and fortune in battle against unrelenting monsters something any self-respecting heroine could stay away from? No, and that means Sette's going to have to go too.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 11, 2016

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Maybe it's just me but Highlander isn't much of an interesting class compared to the others outside of using spears. Of course, maybe it's just the fact that I've played EOU into the second Stratum and I'm in the Story Mode of EOU2 and haven't seen what a Highlander can do yet.

Name: Florete (Floret because of the small space)
Portrait: 2A
Skin Color: First row, 5th
Hair Color: 170, 101, 96 (highlight) 110, 67, 73 (shade)
Eye Color: 73, 182, 121 (highlight) 45, 91, 68 (shade)
Voice: Lively

Florete is a legendary warrior who braved a Labyrinth, solved its mysteries and vanquished terrifying beasts! There's nobody that can beat her in battle, leadership and everything else!

At least, that's what the real Florete wishes to be real. Like almost every child that lives on a farm, Florete desires nothing more than, making a name for herself, having an adventure and becoming famous for it. Maybe it's because of bored of the farmer's lifestyle, maybe it's that she heard tale of guilds succeeding in traversing the various Yggdrasils or maybe it's that her dad named her after a sword because he couldn't think up a name for her. Regardless, when she heard of Aeolis now allowing adventurers to step foot into their Yggdrasil, she grabbed what she needed and headed to fufill her dream.

There's a lack of Fencers and that's needed to be fixed.

Pyro Jack fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 11, 2016

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Guess I'll toss in a Fencer too, why not?

Name: Emma
Portrait: 4A, Skin: bottom, 3rd. Eyes: brown
Voice: Cruel

Emma's first, last, and only dream was to be a princess. She dreamed of all the parties she would attend, the princes that would woo her, the gifts that she would receive. She would be the belle of the ball, and everyone would fight over her, just to have one dance! The delicacies would be fanciful, amazing, and she would have the prettiest dress, and all eyes would be on her... She'd eventually marry a prince, and settle down somewhere, maybe somewhere close to Armoroad or Tharsis, in her own private castle, with hundreds of her attendants waiting on her every hour of every day... But she would still be the most beautiful dancer in all the lands, and she'd dance every night with her beloved prince...

...Yeah... Turns out dance lessons aren't exactly cheap for a farmer's girl. They weren't exactly poor, per se: they lived comfortably enough, and Emma even had a decent education. The problem came later on, when she and her father found an injured man in the forest. They were allowed to attend a ball after they delivered the injured noble to the local doctor's. From there, Emma became fascinated with the richer life of the upper crust, from their table manners to their more refined dances. When that single night ended, she became obsessed with emulating that life. She would spend so much time buying random things that caught her attention, from odd little sculptures she insisted were much more refined than the average person could acknowledge to plays of romance and love. Soon she was demanding money from her father to take the dancing lessons and etiquette classes and, and, and...

Well, let's just say that she may or may not have singlehandedly bankrupted her family. She did turn out to be a natural talent at dancing, but everything else that Emma insisted on learning she was a poor hand at. And it wasn't as if her family was going to help her reach her dreams. That was when she heard of the Yggdrasil Labyrinth, and all the riches and fame she'd get if she could conquer it. Well, she figured that she'd just latch onto a guild and see if she couldn't get her own riches! She was a pretty decent farm hand, at least, and all that dancing helped her be light on her feet, too, so she'd be able to help along the way, maybe. Draw attention from the monsters, and they'd not hit her. Hopefully. And hope that no one was watching her skin every animal they found. Gotta get that money in somehow, right?

She's totally not desperate, nope, no sirree.

BlackPersona fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 12, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 71: Frolic Playfully Through the Thirtieth Floor

And we open with the most exciting thing in the universe: selling the Great Dragon's scale. I got the Dragon Scale off-screen.

Dragonbane (+210 ATK, +5 all stats) is unlocked by selling 1 Dragon Scale, 1 Blizzard Scale, and 1 Emperor Scale. For all intents and purposes, this is the ultimate sword, and it's basically what I buy for anyone that can equip swords, short of Ronin.

Dragon Orb (Immunity to fire) is unlocked by selling 1 Dragon Scale. Unlike the other orbs, if you're doing a certain gimmick with a certain DLC, this actually has a very good use.

So, wait, let me make sure I understand this right: you think the Labyrinth and your home town are boring now, so you want to travel with Realga and I when this is all over?
Yep.
Did you...ask anyone else if you could go with them?
Everyone said no. Except for Milly, she just got really angry that I asked.
I... Look, Ranger, Realga and I would rather just travel alone. You understand why, right?
Is it because you're working on a really secret script that you don't want anyone else to see?
...No.

Today, we finish exploring the Labyrinth with the 30th floor.

That subtitle totally isn't ominous.

A small, empty corridor at the start's has to mean something bad's going to happen.

Monsters behind the door?!
I'm quite surprised the higher-thinking monsters haven't thought to ambush us behind these before!

Almost every door in 30F begins a battle as soon as you walk through it.

Nothing special about this group, though.

So, here's 30F's gimmick: you walk through corridors, which each lead to doors that force encounters, and then you take a teleporter forward.

Kind of simple and a little underwhelming for the final floor, if you ask me.

Ranger, I swear to the gods, if that's you making those stomping sounds...
...Why would you automatically assume it's him?

OH gently caress, OH GOD, OH poo poo, WHY TWO OF THEM, WHY THE SECOND BATTLE, WHY WHY WHY

Dinogator
HP: 31243, STR: 93, TEC: 72, VIT: 73, AGI: 50, LUC: 72
Skills:
  • Playful Bite: Uses the head. Deals 110% melee STR-based cut damage to each party member. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Frolic: Cannot be disabled. From 100% to 51% HP, used when Dinogator has one or more binds. From 50% to death, used randomly. Attempts to bind the head, arms, and legs of each party member, with a 40% base chance. Has a 60% speed modifier.
  • Pout: Uses the head. Deals 10 instances of 130% melee STR-based cut damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Rigid Croc Hide. 100% chance. Sells for 5000 en. 1 needed to make Crocodile Vest (+101 DEF, +5% fire/ice/volt resistance).
    "Crocodile hide dappled with wedgelike scales. It can be used to make highest quality leather."
  • Conditional: Pierced Fang (Kill with stab damage). 100% chance. Sells for 9999 en. 1 needed to make Royal Byrnie (Sovereign ultimate armor; +106 DEF, +30 TP, +3 TEC).
    "The 4th fang, and Dinogator's largest. Dinogator must be alive to remove it."
Damage resistances:
75% 75% 75% 125% 125% 125%
Disable resistances:
25% 50% 25% 25% 50% 50% 50%
0% 0% 10%
50% 50% 50%

A rare reptilian that likes to play with its food before devouring it. Don't be its dinner!

Dinogators are basically super-FOEs that you can randomly run into behind doors on 30F. They're extremely dangerous if you're unprepared, and can easily cause a game over if you don't know what they can do. Playful Bite can kill almost all of the class roster even from full HP, and Pout is basically a guaranteed game over. Frolic is by far their most infamous skill (if only because of the original EO2), though, and it's really easily to be blindsided by it if you're used to binding random encounters to make them easier.

One Dinogator is fairly manageable if you're prepared, but TWO of them can be a serious problem.

Binding one of the Dinogators' heads would be a serious mistake, but thankfully this doesn't work.

Getting unlucky here (and by unlucky I mean "one of them does anything but attack") could spell death for Ursa without Desperation.

No games, not pulling any punches. If I want to have any hope of killing these things, Ranger has to Transform immediately.

Stardust does the same stuff she always does.

Same for Milly.

Okay, I'll take that.

Oh crap.

Rrr...rn...
Maybe we ask...too much of her, sometimes... Ow...

GATOR BLOOD FOR BEAR BLOOD!

Thank god I have one of these things.

Uh-uh, no way, you don't get to sleep on the job.

Better me than everyone else, I suppose...

Okay, that's better than having Ursa die upon revive.

I'll freeze those jaws shut!

Okay, Colette's dead and I have no way of reviving her, but that's fine, everything's fine.

Jesus Christ, even during Desperation Ursa still takes quite a beating from Playful Bite.

What would I do without Auto-Heal, honestly?

Okay, given that Ranger's hits are being distributed between the two of the Dinogators, this isn't that bad.

I want one of these things dead ASAP.

Good, good, the left one ate 7 of the hits...

One multi-fanged bipedal alligator down, one to go.

This is winnable, better safe than sorry.

If this isn't enough to wipe the other one, I'm screwed.

Those things were kinda cute.
You have a seriously screwed up view of what's "cute." First that yellow dragon, now these things?

I'm frankly kind of amazed I made it out of that alive, especially given that Colette spent most of the fight dead.

SYSTEM: It seems you have succesfully registered Dinogator on your Codex. You should return and show your Codex to the client.

Yeah, uh, I kind of need to heal up after that, so might as well.

Ah, h-hello. Members of Lumen, were you able to register Dinogator to your Codex?
Mhm.
R-Really!? Please, show me then...!
Right here.
I drew the picture.
...Awwwww...! It's so cute, just like I thought it'd be! Look at its lovely movements, its beautiful scales, and oh, its teeth! They look like they could cut through anything!
Oh, great, two weirdos that think those things are cute. It's a lot less cute when it's trying to EAT YOU.
Yes, that's correct. That's possibly a result of its living conditions, I would think. But the variety in its nature is part of what makes it so-- Oh, I'm sorry... I got a little too enthusiastic again... But thank you very much for helping me out this time, too! I'm really glad to have seen the Dinogator! I've been wanting to see it with all my heart! I've left the reward with Cass, so please take it from him. Thank you so much for helping me again!

That little lady's still got that weird hobby, eh... Seems like she eats, sleeps, and breathes monsters. Well, I guess I ain't one to judge. I eat, sleep and breathe money! Haw haw haw haw! But anyhow. Here's yer reward. This is known as the Claw of Bonds. It's a real treasure. Only folks who live in harmony with the forest can get this! ...I guess in that case, it's not a real big surprise that the little lady had it in her possession first... Here, take it!

The Claw of Bonds is the semi-ultimate Beast weapon. It's considerably less good than the Wolfram Nail, since it only gives ATK, which isn't that great on a Beast.

More importantly, we are DONE with quests. A dance with death, along with Crimson vengeance, are the two last non-DLC quests you get. Now that we've finished them both, we're 100% done with quests.

Ignore me retaking the chicken quest, that's for something next update.

One rest later, and we're back at it.

Bloody Soldier
HP: 2431, STR: 82, TEC: 63, VIT: 64, AGI: 48, LUC: 62
Skills:
  • Bloody Blade: Uses the arms. Deals 100% melee STR-based cut damage to all party members and all enemies, besides the caster. Has a 70% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Red Iron Shard. 45% chance. Sells for 1600 en. 1 needed to make Ogre Axe (+204 ATK). 4 needed to make Hotarumaru (+205 ATK). 6 needed to make Bloody Gauntlet (+38 DEF, +2 STR, can be equipped by Beasts). 7 needed to make Blood Nail (+198 ATK). 20 needed to make Stun Seal (Immunity to stun). 7 Red Quills and 2 Red Iron Shards needed to make Tyrfing (+181 ATK).
    "Shard of armor that looks bloodstained. It makes for reliable weapons and armor."
  • Conditional: Burnt Iron (Kill with fire damage). 75% chance. Sells for 2370 en. 1 needed to make Crusader Shield (Protector ultimate non-body armor; +73 DEF, +10 HP, +3 LUC).
    "Iron scorched even after its bearer's death. If heated after death, it reacts differently."
Damage resistances:
75% 75% 100% 75% 75% 125%
Disable resistances:
50% 100% 50% 100% 50% 0% 0%
50% 50% 50%
50% 100% 100%

A monstrosity, its armor is soaked in the blood of those who died to its thirst for violence.

Bloody Soldiers themselves aren't too bad, but the encounter formations they're put in very much are. They're deliberately put into formations consisting of the enemies that punish you for hurting but not killing them: High Crawlers, Carbuncles, and Lord Saguari. Bloody Blade'll set off (or help set off) their skills that respond to dying/being damaged, in addition to damaging your party pretty hard.

Unfortunately, nothing interesting happens in this battle.

Logging the Bloody Soldier and those drops means that we now have every normal enemy, FOE, all but one boss, and all associated drops logged, though! All that's left is the superboss and its drop.

Peppering each of the corridors is a teleporter back to before the previous door.

Honestly, none of the random encounters here really scare or threaten me, besides the Dinogator(s). Stardust can usually wipe out most monsters in one go with Warrior Song, and Colette can put a stop to disables with Barrier. Hell, I can even take advantage of Ranger's slowness and have him pick off any enemies left behind after an all-target Formula.

...I don't like the look of that.

Of course we had to have one last drat fog room. And there's Cursed Pumpkins and Petaloids too, just for good measure.

I killed the Icy Bulb and then killed this Pumpkin just to map out the initial part.

Oh, by the way, there's only two shortcuts in 30F: one at the halfway point, and one at the end.

Yeah I'm not going through that mess without killing one of the Cursed Pumpkins. Screw that.

Here's the halfway point.

There's a small area here with each type of gathering point.

30F is honestly a pretty big anticlimax for the Labyrinth. It's just small corridors leading to teleporters, aside from that fog room.

This teleporter is a trap! It'll just send you back to the previous corridor. The only hint you get of this is that the door leading into this room didn't trigger an encounter.

This secret passage leads to the real way forward.

Christ. (Remember that Ancient Hermits summon Asterii when they get to low HP.)

We're now in the final room with FOEs. Almost every single tile here is designed to cause you problems, so pay attention.

Firstly, there's a Petaloid there.

Secondly, there's Asterios spawn points where each of them are on the map. Even walking forward one tile in the direction you automatically face after coming out of the teleporter in will trigger the one on the bottom.

And lastly, there's goddamn Cursed Pumpkins on the edges of the room.

The teleporter I marked with a pitfall trap will send you back to the room with the teleporter I marked with the 7 icon, while the bridge icon will send you back to the start of the floor.

I just said "gently caress it" and killed the pumpkin on the right.

In the top right corner of the room is this teleporter.

Which leads to the final room.

This door triggers narration as soon as you step in front of it.

SYSTEM: The door before you radiates malice and danger as you've never felt in your journeys. You have come so far... Over your many travels, your strength and confidence have won your share of victories. Whatever lies beyond the door, you must face it with that same boldness and confidence. When you feel that you are ready, take hold of the door and open it to meet your fate! Fight well, and good luck!
Of course this stupid place couldn't go out without one less giant rear end in a top hat to ruin my day.
Why did you join us for this exploration, again? You've done nothing but complain, as far as I can recall.
Because I thought I could take everything we'd gotten and run once you all died to that yellow thing on the fifth floor, okay?! But I've done MORE than my fair share, so don't even THINK about complaining about that!
...A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.
What the hell?
Think. Surely if we had all perished to Chimaera, you would've as well.
Can you two quiet down? It's probably a good idea for us to at least see what's beyond the door.

...Dear gods.

I've said this a million times already, but: what the HELL is that thing?!
I cannot even begin to fathom those protrusions... Tentacles, eyes, and teeth?
Nothing about this thing is even remotely cute.
SYSTEM: The demon you face must be that which ushers in the end of all things; the most powerful monster in the Labyrinth! There is little to do now but meet your foe in open combat. You confer with the rest of the party to ensure your equipment and inventory will suffice. You take a glance back at the demon... Once you are sure, all that remains is to fight!
How about we retreat instead of blindly throwing ourselves at this thing and dying for no reason?
Sounds like a plan!

Meet the superboss: Ur-Child. I have a LOT of goddamn words about this thing, enough that I'm gonna give it an entire pre-fight overview before the final update.

Before we conclude: 30F has one last secret. This is going to sound a bit bizarre, but to see it, you have to go through the teleporter I marked with a 7 (the one that leads to the big room with all the FOEs) once...and then loop back around and do it again.

Doing so will put you here. Don't open that door unless you want to suffer a painful death.

There's a shortcut back here, so no, you don't have to do that looping around business multiple times if you want to come here again.

I swap out Colette for Nadia.

Because behind this door lies...

A GUARANTEED FIGHT AGAINST A RARE BREED DINOGATOR.

You might be asking: what does Nadia have to do with this? The answer is I decided to get the Pierced Fang using this thing. In retrospect, swapping out maybe Stardust for Jackie would've been a good idea, since her attacks would count as stab for the conditional but get the damage bonus from Dinogator's weaknesses, but eh.

If you want to know how long this took: a solid 20 minutes of raw footage is dedicated to me trying to get the conditional. Killing this thing is, honestly, pretty easy. Getting the conditional isn't, since that 75% stab resistance means Nadia gets her damage cut pretty noticeably.

I get it in the end, though. The fight's not terribly interesting, it's just me hoping that Nadia paralyzes the thing and that Ranger and Stardust don't kill the Dinogator before Nadia can finish it off.

The chest has a Formaldehyde.

And so our exploration of the Labyrinth is basically done. All that's left is Ur-Child.

Oh, and Nadia 1v1'ing the Master Bird. I almost forgot about that. In fact, it's coming up next update.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

(Addendum: for EO2U early submissions, if you're thinking about submitting a character, I ask that you try and think of one for the classes that don't have as many submissions as the others. At the time of this post, this includes Dragoon, Necromancer, and Masurao.)

This is your regular reminder that early EO5 character submissions are still open. For reference, we currently have the following submissions for each class:

Fencer: Aniodia's Anya (1B), Poltergrift's Sette (4B), Pyro Jack's Florete (2A), BlackPersona's Emma (4A)
Cestus: Level Seven's Duke (3B), Tyty's Jill (2A), GeminiSun's Amelie (Earthrun F)
Shaman: Dr. Fetus's Gabbo (1A), Level Seven's Non (1B), Poltergrift's Paige (4A)
Herbalist: Dr. Fetus's Wanna (4B), FriskyBoat's Dak (3A), mischeviousart's Caleb (3A), Pyro Jack's Cassie (4B)

(alcharagia's Warlock is not listed because, being one of the co-authors of the LP, she is disqualified. Her entry was merely meant to stir up creativity.)

Want to get in on submitting your own character if you haven't yet? The EO5 intro update is over here, and character creation info is here. Remember to provide a voice for your character (I forgot to put that in the creation info), which can be sampled in the intro update. Remember, also, that you're free to submit as many classes as you want, with the caveat that only one character from you can win.

Also, here's some very sound advice regarding EO5's world and how it might affect characters from Clarste:

Clarste posted:

Frankly I'm not even sure if I should mention this, but reading all these character suggestions makes me wonder about how they'd fit into the setting of the world. I see a lot of profiles that talk about growing up in "the city" or whatever, and I just have to wonder how they got there. I mean, the city of Aeolis isn't a central metropolis or anything, it's a relatively small town that's currently undergoing a huge gold rush style boom now that exploration is legal. Basically none of the characters you meet were born there: they're all immigrants from all over the continent. Each race other than Earthrun also comes from a very specific culture, and it's implied that there's not normally all that much cross-pollination between the races. Like, Therians are from a Spartan culture where each child is trained to use a weapon from a young age, and to hunt for their own survival. Lunarians simply want to unlock the secrets of the universe, which maybe other people think is dabbling in things man was not meant to know. Brownies live in harmony with nature, but are also known for being especially materialistic and greedy. These three different cultures are basically at the center of why people want to explore Yggdrasil: for glory, knowledge, or treasure.

Not that anyone should feel obligated to stick close to that when making a character. Those are just the stereotypes, and even the game takes pleasure in subverting them. But the interactions of the four races is sort of a big thematic point of the game. Not everyone gets along with everyone else at first, and this melting pot they find themselves in is a bit of a novelty. It's just... an interesting time for an explorer to find themselves in. I say this not to limit your creativity, but maybe to give you a launching point. That's the hope anyway.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I was laughing so hard when Ragnar told me he ran into the double Dinogator on a Steam conversation.

Assuming you don't get massively unlucky and encounter 2 of the dang things, if you have a War Magus, the best way to deal with them is to bind them and then spam Barrier as long as they're bound since Frolic is the only move that they will use in that case. Ironic in that in trying to make them stronger, they were given a weakness. :v:

Fun fact about Frolic, it had a 75% success rate in the original game! :unsmigghh: It absolutely sucks as a Grimoire skill though. But that applies to most enemy Grimoire skills in this game. If you want your Hexer to roleplay as a Dinogator, just give them Stigmata.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
man don't you even try and fuckin tell me dinogators aren't cute as poo poo. cutest eo monster. adorable mommas

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bonus: The 6th Stratum

Okay, let's start our file back up and begin the post-game.

Knight is back with absolutely no explanation, and don't expect anyone to comment on that. In fact, everything that happens from now on is essentially non-cannon as far as the game is concerned, because Knight is actually taking a vacation in Armoroad at this very moment. Yeah they pretty much went for a sequel hook instead of an actual ending, because that's such a great way to end a story. And with how badly EO2U did sales wise, who knows if we're even getting an EO3U.

Anyways, there is some new dialogue in Story so let's see what the townsfolk have to say. These all count as their floor 26 dialogue.

But... you already reached the top of Yggdrasil... but you're still coming here...? Which means...! You'll keep exploring in High Lagaard!? Yaaay! I-I mean, thank you very much! I'll keep doing my best to help you from here! We'll always be open with a smile at Sitoth Trading! Please, take your time and look around!

Haw haw haw, I always knew yeh had it in yeh... I guess yeh can take care of yerselves just fine. So now, let me in on the details. Just enough so that those bigwigs won't have a fit about it. Hey, c'mon. I'm a barkeep! Ain't gonna tell anyone. Got one of those, yeh know, confessionality clauses. Like doctors. Uh... Confi-- Confidentiality? Well, it was somethin'. Whatever it is, I got it. When yeh celebrate, yeh drink! That's explorer tradition, ain't it?

You found the floating castle, uncovered its mysteries, and though many may never know, saved all of High Lagaard... ...Yet you haven't returned to Midgard, I see. Do you have some unfinished business here to attend to? Surely, you too must be thinking... there exist undiscovered wonders beyond the floating castle. Ha... Don't worry, I won't waste my breath. Continue your journey as you see fit. I must admit... I am glad you stayed. Once more, I can watch you progress onward, and upward. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope you find fortune on your travels.

The princess of the past, the Ruler of Heaven... None of our records give any clue as to their true intentions... However, there is one thing that I know. High Lagaard is now free from the ancient chains that shackled it... ...And we have you to thank.

Well, there was some unfinished business in Overlord's throne room. Let's go back there and take a look.

Now with the plot effectively vaporized, there is nothing stopping us from going up these stairs anymore.

DS Version

Okay, I'm going to be honest here. I loved the look of the Forbidden Wood in the original game and loved the music that played here. In the remake, not so much. In my opinion, the Forbidden Wood got a massive visual downgrade, as it just kind of looks like a regular old forest now. Also I really hate what they did with the music. It was originally a peaceful track, and then the remake turned it into elevator music. As a kicker, the post-game in EO2U is way more pathetic than EOU's. None of the encounters or FOEs here are remotely a threat as long as you don't play like an idiot. The bosses are a different story, but what can you expect from such a well designed game like EO2U?

Anyways don't expect me to show most of it off. There aren't any events up here, and there's only one thing the Story mode party even pipes up for in here. And since this is one of the few times we'll be seeing this place, I'll just put in both audio only conversations that can play here. Here's the first one:

You know, thinking back on the whole trip, we've come a long way.
I never would've imagined we would've made it this far in.
Especially this team of misfits.
But we're a good team.
Indeed. We're a wonderful band of misfits!
Yeah.
Heh heh.

And here's the final audio only conversation in the game:

How queer. We're floating high in the air, yes?
Well, our feet are on the ground, but the ground itself is miles above the Earth.
I'm curious how it floats.
If we find out how the castle flies, we might be able to fly too.
Oh, how wonderful that would be!
What if we ended up floating and couldn't get back down?
Oh, that's possible.
Not so wonderful at that, then.

And here are the rest of the town dialogues. Floor 27:

My heavens... That sounds like it's going to be tough. You're planning on climbing it? It's just another adventure for you... You really make me worry! You just keep climbing, and climbing... You'll bang your heads on the sun if you're not careful!
I suppose... We are climbing up rather high.
That's what I'm saying! Oh, I'm getting so worried for all of you! Oh, I know! Why don't you all just climb the Labyrinth at night? The sun won't be up during the night, so you'll be perfectly fine! And it'll be less hot and stuffy, too!
Ah, what an ingenious solution!
*sigh*...If the professor could hear us now...

I never thought there would actually be a castle so high on Yggdrasil, but there's a forest even higher... It's a little scary, to be honest... but thanks to that forest, you'll all be staying in this city longer... I wish the forest went on forever...

No, I'm not saying that you should leave. Actually, I... well, how do I put it... ...... N-Nevermind! If there's a whole new forest to explore, there must be more ingredients that I've never seen before! What are you doing wasting your time here? Hurry up and go get those ingredients!

The hell are yeh still doing around here? I thought yeh Midgard folk had no business 'round here anymore. ...What? There's still more to the Labyrinth, so yeh're staying here for a little while longer? Well why didn't yeh say so earlier!? Man, yeh really are weirdos. Yeh're actually staying to investigate that deathtrap? Wait a minute... Did yeh say there was more to that Labyrinth!? And here I was drownin' my sorrows 'cause I thought I'd never see yeh again... Haw haw haw! Guess I was completely wrong! Yeh know what yeh do when yeh get good news, eh...? Drink!

But I also hear that you intend to keep exploring the Labyrinth. Hrm. I had no idea there were branches that extended even above the castle... One could assume that the branches grew beyond the castle because it was blocking any sunlight from hitting them. ...Ah, but we can theorize as much as we like. This is still Yggdrasil we are talking about, after all... I'm sure it won't be easy. Listen carefully, Guild Guild. We here at the Grand Duchy will not hesitate at anything for your sake. ...Hm? You wonder why we would do such a thing? I should think it would be obvious. ...Your dream is our dream. Your fight is our fight. I would like you to keep that in mind. Be sure to come back safe.

Before I go onto floor 28, there is something I want to show off first.

Ragnar showed off the correct solution to this platform puzzle, but there's actually an alternate solution you can pull off. One the devs did not see coming.

Oops I broke it.

The platform is even clipping into the flowers. :v:

Oh and the ending of The volt king's rampage quest is different if you have a Survivalist or a Gunner in the party. Ragnar had neither by the time he did this quest, so I'll show off what happens if you have a Survivalist.

You have defeated the fearsome legendary dragon! At last you relax, pausing to catch your breath after the harsh battle...

...Suddenly, the dragon bolts--whirling into the sky, flying despite its grievous wounds! If you do not interfere, the dragon will return to wreak further havoc, fully healed and filled with hatred! ...Against all expectation, you see something else appear in the sky. The figure glides through the sky faster than your eyes can follow, on a direct collision course with the dragon! ...All at once, it hits you. You recall the quest from Abigail, to rescue the young monster whose parents had been slain... There can be no mistaking it. The figure diving towards the Storm Emperor... is that very chick! It may be that the chick wishes to repay you, but it doesn't stand a chance against a legendary dragon! You cast around desperately, trying to determine some way to help!

You hear someone behind you cry out, and something falls into Flavio's hands. ...It's a bow. When you look behind you, you see the chief of the winged ones nodding, eyes ablaze with determination. Flavio loads an arrow into the bow that Canaan passed off, draws the string, and shoots the dragon! The arrow cuts through the sky, and pierces the dragon's forehead, burying deep! The dragon's head snaps back, the shot slaying it instantly. It plummets to the ground. You have saved the monster!

Now safe, the monster flaps down to you and hops happily about your feet. As you fondly watch the triumphant chick frolic, Canaan approaches you.

If you didn't save the baby monster earlier and don't have a Survivalist or Gunner in the party, Canaan snipes the Storm Emperor himself. And I kid you not, you can actually accuse him of kill stealing. :allears:

Why are you here?
That Divide Bow, passed down through generations in our tribe... Upon touching it, I had a vision... that you would need it. But for you to truly fell the mighty Klanvaline... you never cease to amaze me.

Nothing is impossible for adventurers.
Then, that is your fate... Earthbound ones truly are interesting.

His gaze falls to the bow, and he gestures towards it. Canaan nods his head in understanding. His gaze falls to the bow, and he gestures towards it.

I do not know if this is enough to repay you, but please, take this bow. I brought it here that you might make use of it.

Oh yeah, there are “ultimate” weapons you can get from quests. Most of them kind of suck, but a few of them are more useful than what you can buy in the store. This is not one of those weapons.

Goodbye, Guild. Your heroic deeds will forever be passed down our tribe in legend... I swear it.

The monster chick flaps up into the air, cheeping, and flies off into the sky. You watch the two leave, and take one last moment to look at the Throne of Thunder. The Throne's master has been slain. You have defeated the thunder dragon. For your efforts, you now hold the most powerful bow in existence. Congratulations! All that remains is for you to return to the bar when you have time, and report your success!

“Fun” fact about this quest in the original. The game only asked if you had a Survivalist in the party. Which was one of the worst classes in the game. A Gunner did not count for that quest. And if the monster decided to help out here, it would flat out die. Even though it was just flavor text, people weren't really happy about the game essentially saying “gently caress you for not using one of the worst classes in the game.” So in the remake, the monster just gets injured instead, but lives in the end. Anyways, let's take a look at some more Story mode exclusive town dialogue.

Floor 28:

...So? What do you think? Good...? This was actually made by my daughter. She said she wanted you all to have a taste. I knew she was a hard worker, but she's been doing everything she can lately. I'm sure she wants to help you. She's always going on about the great Guild guild, you know. I might even change this place's name to the Guild Inn... Bahaha, I'm just kidding! Your faces! You're all still going into the Labyrinth and investigating it, right? Well I hope you'll still come and visit us. My daughter and I will always be waiting to welcome you back!

Oh, Arianna, there's... some kind of leaf stuck in your hair?
Oh dear. I wonder how that could have happened?
Eheheh, I'll get it for you... There! I got it! ...This plant must be from the Labyrinth, isn't it? Um, would it be all right if I kept this?

Of course.
Yay! Hee hee, maybe I'll press it and make it into a bookmark...
Kid, it's just a leaf. Not that big a deal.
But it is! I've never been in the Labyrinth, and besides...

What do you want that for?
I-I'm serious! It's just a little souvenir, that's all.

Dialogue merges here.

I've never been in the Labyrinth, and besides... Er... um... w-well, it's, uh... I-I just thought maybe I could feel a little like... like you do, when you're out exploring in the forest... I-I mean, nevermind! Forget I said that! That must have sounded so weird...! I-I'll be working over there... so... Um, I hope I didn't come off as some weirdo, there...

Man, that's... hard to imagine. Don't the monsters in there get tougher as yeh go up? What kinda lunatic would willingly go to a place like that...? Yeh're monsters yerselves, yeh know that? Haw haw haw! What, did I offend yeh? Sorry, but I ain't one to sugarcoat what I'm thinkin'. No hard feelings. ...Yeh lot are probably going to get even stronger, and become even more famous. But whatever happens, don't ever quit comin' to this bar, yeh hear? It'll get lonely without yeh droppin' by. ... Plus, it means I got good connections with a hotshot from Midgard. Ain't that a sweet deal? Haw haw haw!

Do you remember the guild Beowulf? The guild that you saved back in the first Stratum, right? I thought they would just remain as they were, a two-person guild... but it seems they've accepted some new recruits. Ha... they were novices, with quite a lot of training ahead of them. Still, they look as though they're enjoying themselves. It was something of a relief to see that. People... can change, after all.

We have been scouring our records for information... But we have yet to find any. If something turns up, I'll alert you. ...Lady Gradriel ordered it herself. She told us that any peril you must face is something the whole nation must face. And to think explorers would win the heart of Lady Gradriel... my, my. What am I to do with her! Under normal circumstances, of course, I would have to take some sort of action against such insolence... However, it would seem that none in the Grand Duchy have any objections to your significance to her. ...That includes myself, of course. Hahahaha! The Duke's Palace is certainly a fine home these days!

Floor 29:

I mean, you don't sound like a hero if I just call you Knight... But I suppose the usual way's best. Oh, that reminds me! I heard the news! You made it to the 29th floor, didn't you? Is that... almost the top? What are you planning on doing once you reach the top? Are you... thinking about leaving this place?
That's...
...Oh, I'm sorry. I suppose that was a silly question. Well... this is just me talking to myself, but... We're pretty shorthanded around here... It would be great if I had a couple people I can trust, like you loves, working here. If you work here, you'll be guaranteed citizenship, and you'll get room and board, plus you get to see my daughter every day. ... Of course, mama's just rambling to herself like usual... but try giving it some thought.

Hm...? Oh, it's you. So, how may I help the heroes of High Lagaard today? Ha, relax. I'm only joking. But it is the truth, you know. You're allowed to have a little pride in your accomplishments! If you can't take a simple little joke like that, I dread to think how you would handle the bartender's banter! That is all I have to say. If you need nothing more, than I won't keep you further.

Hrm, judging by your faces... You may have done something that you greatly regret, no? ...Well, I will not press the issue. Regardless of your decisions, we will stand behind them, and support you. Whatever the matter is, don't worry, and press onward. Do what must be done.

Pictured: Either the original writing team in Japan, or the localization screwing up. So in the original game, there was an extra plot that took place in the 6th Stratum aside from trying to kill Overlord's ultimate creation. There were actually a bunch of post-game quests in the original game which were kind of themed around stronger than usual monsters coming down to the lower Strata. Canaan and the party find out that opening the way to the 6th Stratum also opened the way for an army of monsters to come down from the 6th Stratum straight to High Lagaard. Floor 29 is where the party finds out they screwed up big time, and that's why Dubois says those lines in the original game. I have no idea why those lines are in the remake, since that plot got cut out entirely.

There is only one new dialogue in Story on floor 30:

I've been thinking... This nation has no deep political ties with Midgard, so we've never had an investigation team come. And yet here you are, and staying among us as well... truly, it has been good fortune for us. Knight, if it's not too much to ask... I would like you to share with Midgard the splendor of our nation. This land was built on toil, fellowship, and the spirit of adventure... Yes, I could ask for no better land to serve. Of course... there's no rush. I'm sure you can delay your report a while longer, hmm?

Now there's one last thing I want to show off.

Ugh, what is that thing...!?
I-It's still far from us, yet even here I can feel its overwhelming malevolence...
Anything this far into such a dangerous place has to mean trouble... If we're not ready to face it, we might want to regroup and come back later.
I think so too. Knight, are we ready? Do we have enough items and stuff?
We're completely ready.
Mm. Then it's up to you to make the call, Knight.

The rest of the guild raises no objection. If you have come to a decision, then the time is nigh to act upon it!

This is Ur-Child, the true final boss of the game, and the final test of Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold!

Which I'm not showing off. I'll let Ragnar Homsar field that one-and wow that is really lucky. Happened to get 2 of his drops right there.

But its power is so incredible that it seems the battle will never end... At last, however, victory appears to be nigh! You land a powerful blow on the demon's forehead and it recoils in pain! The fiend collapses onto the floor, its body dissolving into light...

I-Is it over...?
I hope so...

As you catch your breath in anticipation, the monster completely disappears.

Yesss! It's over!
Thank goodness we survived...
That was nothing.
No! Nuh-uh! There's no way you're blowing off a monster like that as 'nothing'!
...Right?
Oh, I've only just noticed... There seems to be no path leading to the next floor.
Huh, you're right... I don't see anything.
Does that mean this is the top of the Yggdrasil Labyrinth?
Are we the first ones here?
I don't know about that...
No wonder the air tastes so great.
Truly... It's so crisp and clean...
Meat tastes better.
Goodness, Dame Chloe! Ahaha... I would expect no less from you.
Well then, shall we get going? I wanna get a good rest back in town.
Yes. And once we have rested, let us depart on another adventure together!

You nod to the woman and, with a swelling sense of fulfillment at conquering the Yggdrasil Labyrinth, take your leave.

There is some new town dialogue after beating Ur-Child.

Oh don't be like that. You're the heroes of Lagaard! We can't have you dressed in dirty rags like that! Come on now, Chloe. You're a young lady, for goodness sake! Now here, let's wipe your face off.
Bwuh!?
And you, Bertrand! Your cuffs are a mess. And don't think I haven't noticed your jacket, Flavio.
Wh--!? Hey, cut that out, lady!!!
And you too, Knight. Now hurry and get out of those dirty clothes! Oh, you'd better turn around, Arianna. This isn't going to be pretty.
Ah, th-that is... um...!
Look at you all. You're heroes of this city, but you haven't changed a bit. You're still a scruffy bunch of children! Hahaha... I have to say, though, that makes me strangely happy. I'll always have a way to help out you lovelies. Quona and I will always be here to help when you need it. Bahaha!

...It's been quite some time since you first started exploring the Labyrinth, hasn't it? You know, the barkeep's been bragging that he was the one that made you into the heroes you are today. Then again, he's not the only one making such claims. Everyone in the city is trying to claim credit for your success. They're obviously all misguided. The one that first saw your potential was me, of course.

You're absolutely right.
Ha, I can count on you to run with the joke. Thanks, Knight. ...Yes... just a little joke, before you return to Midgard...

Were you...?
*chuckle*... As blunt as always, I see. But I was the first one to tell you where Arianna was, wasn't I? ...Oh, I was just having a little fun. Before you return to Midgard...

Dialogue merges here.

Anyways, I'm sure it's difficult being the center of attention all the time. You've accomplished a great deal. The chaos seems far from over, though. Well... If you ever need a place to get away from it all, I will be waiting here, with tea. That's all I have to say. Feel free to make yourselves at home here.

And that's it for the 6th Stratum and everything in Story mode! Thanks for reading this little side LP of Story mode! (also serving as Ragnar Homsar's cleanup crew. :v:)

What's that? I'm forgetting something? Nah, I'm pretty sure there's nothing...

...left.

...SON. OF. A. BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Never change, Atlus. :unsmigghh:

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

alcharagia posted:

man don't you even try and fuckin tell me dinogators aren't cute as poo poo. cutest eo monster. adorable mommas

R.I.P. Dinogator Avatar. :smith:

Dr. Fetus posted:

What's that? I'm forgetting something? Nah, I'm pretty sure there's nothing...

...left.

...SON. OF. A. BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

R.I.P. Dr. Fetus :unsmigghh:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that the plot party does get some more reactions if you take them through the postgame, however little sense that makes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Original Sin: The poo poo Show Begins

:sigh: Well, no point in putting this off for any longer.

Takin' that one, eh? Guess nobody else would've taken it anyway, since it's intended for Guild... So this comes from the Grand Duchy. Seems they've discovered some kinda pillar of light 'round the forest entrance. And, from what I'm hearin'... it's connected to the Forbidden Wood. Accordin' to the palace, the place the pillar leads to has some terrible monster they're callin' the 'deepest darkness'... Anyhow, they want yeh to drop by the Palace before yeh set out on this one. ...... ...Yeh've accepted the quest, so keep yer guard up, and dig yer heels in. Yeh're strong, and yeh got experience, but yeh can't just assume that yeh're always gonna be better than everythin' else. ...Oops. Guess it's kinda weird for me to be talkin' all serious like that. Well, hurry up and get goin', then. And make sure yeh come back with a hell of a story!

If you have come here, then it must mean that you have accepted the request. The Yggdrasil Labyrinth that exists in High Lagaard... We have uncovered a new book with a legend regarding it.
A new legend, you say?
Yes. Along with that, we have also found some manner of transportation device that was mentioned in this legend...
Transportation device... What, kind of like the Geomagnetic Poles? Where does this one go?
Its most likely destination is the Forbidden Wood--the sixth stratum of High Lagaard's Yggdrasil. ...According to this book, in some hidden chamber within the Forbidden Wood, the Labyrinth's 'deepest darkness' sleeps... A place hidden deep within the Forbidden Wood... surely this lair of 'darkness' must be the most dangerous place in the forest. I understand that it's odd for me to request an investigation of such a bizarre nature... But it seems possible that, within this hidden grove, something may exist that could threaten all of High Lagaard. If true, then naturally we cannot afford to ignore it... And, naturally, you are the only ones who might be able to aid me in this...
Yeah, I get the picture. You can't send in just anyone for a case like this.
Mm. Leave it to us. Right, Knight?

In milady's name!
My, thank you very much. However... when you phrase it thusly, I fear I may blush.

Behold, the best Arianna expression. Probably the only good part of this DLC.

Ooh. Arianna is jealous. How rare.
Huh? O-Oh, my, no... I-I'm not...
*chuckle* Arianna appears to be quite fearsome when provoked. I shall endeavor not to cause her any distress.
O-Oh, even you, Lady Gradriel!? Really, you mustn't tease me so...
...Ahem. It seems we've gotten somewhat off topic. Everyone... Please, allow me to say it once more. Thank you for accepting this request. I will... pray for your safety until you return... I bid you good luck, members of Guild Guild.

A new destination is available to us.

So this DLC isn't just a boss fight, it's an entirely new floor.

Looks like we're here, but...
The scenery itself hasn't changed much.
I guess this won't really be anything special?
We can't decide that on a snap judgment. Seriously, this forest is full of enough unpleasant surprises already.

Don't get too tensed up, though.
Yes. If our bodies are stiff, we won't be able to move and react when we need to. We should stretch periodically as we go.
I'm not so sure about that either...

Apparently satisfied that you should continue on as normal, you move onward on the path.

So this floor has no random encounters whatsoever, but that's to make the floor gimmick slightly more tolerable. You see, the FOEs here have completely random movement! There is no guaranteed way to get past them and reach the end of the floor. The only thing predictable about them is that they will chase you when they spot you, and even knowing that doesn't help much. This poo poo show is off to a great start.

Anyways, here's the FOE in question.

Anomalocaris
Level: 99
HP: 32399
STR: 99
TEC: 76
VIT: 70
AGI: 62
LUC: 74
Exp: 240000
Attack Type: Bash
Skills:
  • Snaring Tentacle: Uses the arms. Deals 210% ranged STR-based TP damage to one party member. Attempts to completely bind the target and inflict fear on them, with an 80% base chance. Has a 90% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • Greed: Uses the head. Deals 150% melee STR-based Bash damage to one target, with splash damage. Attempts to instantly kill hit targets, with a 60% base chance. Has a 60% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Thorny Barbel. 100% chance. Sells for 8800 en. 1 needed to make Ancient Tendril (+199 ATK, 10% chance to inflict head, arm, and leg bind).
    "Barbel developed from a thorn for capturing prey. It would then swallow them whole."
Damage resistances:
125% 125% 125% 125% 125% 125%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 25% 25% 25% 50% 25%
10% 10% 10%
25% 50% 25%
Description: A wriggling crustacean that made its home in the forest, where it has no shortage of prey...

Anomalocaris are just annoying FOEs. Random movement patterns and they're massive nuisances in battle. They can drain your TP, and instantly kill off one of your party members, forcing you to waste resources to bring them back.

Standard setup stuff. Gonna try to blind the FOE so I don't have to deal with it.

Well that didn't work out.

Geez, look at how much TP that took off!

And Arianna is really in a pickle right now.

Flavio lands the blind on the next turn, meaning that this thing is now just a sitting duck.

It goes down shortly.

Now the fight isn't too bad if you blow your Force Breaks and stuff on it. The problem is, that's not really a feasible strategy for dealing with every one of the critters. The Anomalocaris has a really short respawn time, so you can't dilly dally in a room for long. Not only that...

They respawn the instant you leave the Labyrinth! So yeah, no going back to take breaks. And these fights are really annoying if you don't abuse Force.

There are also fog rooms on this floor, which do reduce their sight range. But again, that's not really helpful depending on how fickle the RNG is. In fact, I can't actually tell you how to get through this floor because someone thought random movement FOEs were a good idea.

Well there is one way. Turn the difficulty down to Picnic, and try to rush through the floor, killing any FOEs that get in your way. That is the only tolerable way to get through this bullshit. And to think we're not even at the main attraction yet.

Oh and this is what the only chest on this floor contains. Might want to stock up on these, just saying.

Anyways, you might have noticed a Take spot on this floor. The materials you can get from it are Bloody Dew, Solomon's Seal, and Antler Fungus. Those make some very special items. Let's go back and see what our loot makes.

The Thorny Barbel makes the Ancient Tendril. Which is a whip that has a 10% chance to bind all body parts. Yeah, not that useful.

The Bloody Dew makes the Eye of Time, which instantly revives all FOEs and bosses when you go back to town. Handy, I suppose.

The Solomon's Seal makes the Healing Remedy, which fully restores the party's HP and TP. The catch? It can't be used in battle, only on the field. Pass.

Antler Funguses makes the Over Somas, which are probably the most useful item from this. What it does is it heals the party for 100 HP, however it can also overheal them up to that amount as well. It's handy for this DLC's boss, especially if you have party members who max HP totals under 501. The overheal only lasts for the turn this gets applied though, and the effects don't stack with other Over Somas.

We'll confront the Deepest Darkness next time.

:smithicide:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Sorry for the really short update, but this entire thing had to be split up into a couple of parts, and I needed a good place to split it off. Strap yourselves in, because this is gonna be a bumpy ride.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Sorry for the really short update, but this entire thing had to be split up into a couple of parts, and I needed a good place to split it off. Strap yourselves in, because this is gonna be a bumpy ride.

Thanks for showing this off in advance, Fetus. I haven't touched this DLC at all (And the Treasures Untold one...), so this is new ground for me.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Anyone who went through the Anomalocaris floor on Normal or Expert mode has my condolences.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Anyone who went through the Anomalocaris floor on Normal or Expert mode has my condolences.

ahahahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA loving SHOOT ME

Doing 31F legit on Expert was one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever gotten from a video game and I think everyone here will agree with me when I didn't want to do it again.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
The point of having a map is being able to plan out moves ahead of time to avoid FOEs. Completely random patterns kills any chance of planning, especially with the goddamn fog. Also makes it really stupid trying to learn how to fight this upcoming pain in the rear end.

Am I remembering things wrong in that the Anomalocaris could sense you through doorways?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

FYI if your party doesn't have a Protector or a Beast (Do not have both or multiples of each. Bad things happen if you do that.), and have your party members above 600 HP, you've already lost the fight. I wish I could say I was joking.

Also do not do the fight blind. I don't know how you would even accomplish that.

Level Seven posted:

Am I remembering things wrong in that the Anomalocaris could sense you through doorways?

Thankfully, they can't.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

They don't sense you through doors, but their aggressiveness seems to trigger very arbitrarily. I remember trying to test it on Picnic mode and I'm pretty sure one reacted to me while facing a completely different direction and being more than five tiles away.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

ahahahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA loving SHOOT ME

Wow. No wonder you hate this DLC so much.

Not that you'd need much more reason to beyond what it already is, but still.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Jesus christ. Who at Atlus made this poo poo?! The fact you are 'recommended' (AKA: Forced) to have a Level 198 (I count those 99 levels you retired with) party to even feasibly do this DLC makes it only worse. I don't even want to imagine what the SMT4:A DLC is gonna require. Well, I already know it's pretty much forced to have a maxed out (level cap broken, thank god THAT one was free DLC) Nanaki to even attempt it.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Kemix posted:

Jesus christ. Who at Atlus made this poo poo?! The fact you are 'recommended' (AKA: Forced) to have a Level 198 (I count those 99 levels you retired with) party to even feasibly do this DLC makes it only worse. I don't even want to imagine what the SMT4:A DLC is gonna require. Well, I already know it's pretty much forced to have a maxed out (level cap broken, thank god THAT one was free DLC) Nanaki to even attempt it.

...Isn't having a maxed out protagonist by the end of an SMT story normal for those games? I've only really played Apocalypse in any great capacity, and I had a level 99 Nanashi quite a bit before even reaching YHVH.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ahh, 31F. I got to the really large room before clocking on to what was going on. I dropped down to Picnic, stocked the gently caress up and had a right old time.

I like playing games on the hardest difficulty, but I can only be pushed so far before I just go gently caress it.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 72: 1v1 Me (Nadia vs. Master Bird)

Man, those five get to go fight whatever that weird humanoid was at the end of the Labyrinth, and I'm stuck down here doing nothing...
...You're kidding. That chicken's back?
Swear t' the gods. And it's itchin' for a real one-on-one this time.
...Did I just hear that the giant chicken you guys fought wants a one-on-one? That giant, buff chicken that knows martial arts?
There's not many other ways to interpret tha-- N-Nadia, wait!
Y'know, you gotta give Nadia one thing. She's the speediest person I've ever seen.
I get the feelin' she'll get pasted by that thing, but godspeed t' her anyway.

If you're gonna do a one-on-one fight with the Master Bird for real, you're pretty much gonna need a Survivalist. A Dark Hunter might be able to manage, but a Survivalist gets the benefit of the Blind Effect Up food and can hit the Master Bird's stab weakness.

You'll notice that the main change to Nadia's skill build is that she now has Sleep Arrow maxed out and has a level 10 Grimoire of it, compared to Paralysis Arrow. This is because, remember, the Master Bird is immune to paralysis, but can be hit with sleep.

The Dragon Orb's also here to nullify Crimson Cyclone, which'll give me a bunch of free turns to do whatever late in the fight.

Master Bird's dialogue is the same, up until you accept his challenge.

The name's Nadia. I'm here for a good one versus one.
Oho...! Nadia, hm? Yes... I sense that you and I are kindred spirits! Ah, it is a glorious day indeed... I have met fine new friends, and shall now fight them hand-to-beak! This is what is best in life!
Anything to break up this non-stop boredom.
Now, my friends... Let us unleash the untamed ferocity of our warrior souls! Bok... bokbokBOKBOK...!
Come at me, you overgrown chick!
B'GAAWWK!

:siren: :siren: VIDEO: Nadia vs. Master Bird :siren: :siren:

First thing to do is put the Master Bird to sleep to give Nadia two turns to use Bravants on herself.

That's right, take a quick little nap while I eat these candies...

Now Nadia has +30% damage for 9 turns.

Rule of thumb with Survivalists is to spam Multi-Shot if you can't use Hazy Arrow or an ailment arrow. Blind Arrow wouldn't do much here since the sleep wears off after the ailment check is done, and sleep's higher on the hierarchy than blind.

Kinda sucks that the sleep bonus damage only applies to the first hit, but whatever.

Blinding/evading the Master Bird until he starts spamming Crimson Cyclone is absolutely crucial.

Spending that much time out of active duty's given me plenty of time to work on these toxins.

And now Nadia has a couple of free turns to spam Hazy Arrow.

Chewing through 30k HP when Nadia's strongest attack deals that much will take quite a bit, especially given that I can't dodge attacks forever.

I get two more turns of this before the blind wears off.

At which point I enable Illusion Step, since we're not at the Crimson Cyclone part yet.

I used Multi-Shot here for some reason, even though Hazy Arrow was perfectly available.

Illusion Step's...not terrible. For what's basically free damage on top of complete evasion, you could do worse.

Now that Illusion Step's worn off, I take my chances with Sleep Arrow again, since the accumulative resistance should've worn off by this point.

Sleeping standing up, huh? That's the kind of dedication I can get behind, even if you look really dumb.

And now I should be in the clear.

Yep.

Aw, come on, that's the best you can do? I was expecting an actual fight!

Couple more turns of that plus Multi-Shot later, and...

The accumulative resistance to blind should've worn off, so I re-inflict it to get Hazy Arrow going again.

Gonna take more than that to really scare me, chicken-boy.

What follows is more Hazy Arrow spam, until...

Come on, what is this? I came here for a battle, not a trouncing!

1v1ing the Master Bird relies on at least some RNG, but not too much. If you know how to build your Survivalist for it, it's honestly a pretty easy fight.

Nadia's one-on-one victory results in the Gold Belt, which gives +100 HP and +5 to all stats. It's pretty much the best possible accessory for any class, and I re-fight the chicken a few more times to outfit the Ur-Child party.

Well, that was certainly something resembling a spectacle. Next time: Ur-Child, and after that, the end.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Pre-Final Update: Ur-Child pre-fight overview

Ur-Child
HP: 140000, STR: 97, TEC: 94, VIT: 73, AGI: 60, LUC: 83
Skills:
  • Dance with Lunacy: Uses the arms. Attempts to inflict blind, poison, panic, and curse on every party member, with a 35% base chance. The poison has 200 base damage, around 419 adjusted for level. Has no speed modifier.
  • Behold my Power: Uses the arms. Deals 3-5 instances of 120% melee STR-based bash damage to random targets. Can hit the same target twice at most. Attempts to inflict every status ailment, along with petrification, on hit targets, with a 2% base chance. The poison has 200 base damage (around 419 adjusted for level). Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • My Wrath/Sorrow/Mercy: Cannot be disabled. Deals 3-5 instances of 200% ranged TEC-based fire/ice/volt damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Attempts to bind every body part of hit targets, with a 10% base chance. Has a 70% speed modifier and 160 base accuracy.
  • Null thy Strength: Uses the arms. Deals 220% melee STR-based bash damage to one target, with splash damage. Reduces hit targets' physical/elemental attack by 50% for 4 turns. Has a 120% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Pity the Weak: Uses the arms. Deals 250% melee STR-based cut damage to one target, with line-piercing effect. Reduces hit targets' physical/elemental defense by 50% for 4 turns. Has a 120% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Materialize: Summons two Origin Buds. While the Origin Buds are alive, Ur-Child can't be targeted by anything.
  • Noble Rest:Cannot be disabled. At the start of the turn, Ur-Child heals itself for an amount dependent on how much it was damaged between the last use of Noble Rest (or the start of the battle if casting for the first time). The heal amount can be: 5000, 10000, 15000, 20000, 25000, 30000, 35000, 40000, 50000, 60000, 70000, 80000, 90000, or 99999.
  • Liberating Light: Cannot be disabled. Used out of turn. Dispels all of the party's buffs.
  • Unhand Me: Cannot be disabled. Nullifies all damage to Ur-Child for one turn. When attacked, Ur-Child will counter with 150% of the damage intended for it to every party member. Has a 1000% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • Howling Winds: Cannot be disabled. Deals 1000% ranged TEC-based almighty damage to one party member. Has a 50% speed modifier, and 99 base accuracy.
  • Twilight's Gleam: Cannot be disabled. Breaks each party member's Force. If anyone is currently in the Force Boost state, it is immediately ended.
  • Eternal Exodus: Cannot be disabled. If the Origin Buds are not amplifying its power, deals 10 instances of 70% ranged TEC-based almighty damage to random targets. Can hit the same target twice at most. If the Origin Buds are amplifying its power, deals 15 instances of 3000% ranged TEC-based almighty damage to random targets. Can hit the same target three times at most. Has a 10% speed modifier, and does not check for accuracy.
  • Sunlight's Dawn: Cannot be disabled. Restores each party member's Force, even if it has been broken.
  • Value of Solitude: Uses the legs. If all party members are alive, deals 1150% melee STR-based stab damage to the entire party. If at least one party member is dead, deals 5% STR-based stab damage to the entire party. Has a 10% speed modifier and 170 base accuracy.
  • Release my Power: Cannot be disabled. Used out of turn. Nullifies all debuffs on Ur-Child, and incrases its physical/elemental attack by 50%, and physical/elemental defense by 20%, for 6 turns. The attack and defense buffs are separate from each other.
  • My Realm: Cannot be disabled. Lasts 3 turns. Triples the chance of all party members being inflicted with status ailments and binds. Deals ranged TEC-based almighty damage at the end of every turn while active. The damage output gets stronger with each consecutive use, and scales as such: 20%, 30%, 50%, 80%, 120%, 170%, 250%, 350%, 570%, 700%.
Drops:
  • Normal: Eden Apple. 100% chance. Sells for 90000 en. 1 needed to make Amenohabagiri (+250 ATK, +40 HP).
    "Strange red fruit from the Ur-Child's wings. It's likely a fruit in name alone."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 125% 125% 125%
Disable resistances:
50% 100% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%
0% 50% 75%

The origin of all life created by the Ruler of Heaven, more powerful than even the Overlord!

Origin Bud
HP: 10000, STR: 97, TEC: 94, VIT: 73, AGI: 60, LUC: 83
Skills:
  • Amplify: Cannot be disabled. Used at the end of the turn before Eternal Exodus. Increases the number of hits and damage of Eternal Exodus.
Damage resistances:
Disable resistances:
50% 100% 50% 0% 0% 0% 0%
10% 10% 0%
50% 50% 75%

Protects the Ur-Child and catalyzes its evolution. Do not fall prey to the Ur-Child...

Pattern
  • Phase 1 (100% to 75% HP):
    • Turn 1: Dance with Lunacy
    • Turn 2: Behold my Power
    • Turn 3: My Wrath/Sorrow/Mercy. Random the first time, subsequent casts will go in this order, starting from the one casted here: Wrath, Sorrow, Mercy.
    • Turn 4: Null thy Strength or Pity the Weak
    • Turn 5: Behold my Power
    • Loops until 75% HP
    • Once Ur-Child reaches 75% HP, it summons two Origin Buds, and moves onto Phase 2
  • Phase 2:
    • Turn 1: Noble Rest, Liberating Light at end of turn
    • Turn 2: Howling Winds
    • Turn 3: Howling Winds, Twilight's Gleam at end of turn
    • Turn 4: Eternal Exodus
    • If the Origin Buds are killed before Turn 3, Ur-Child will use Twilight's Gleam at the end of the turn, and skip to Eternal Exodus
    • Ur-Child moves onto Phase 3 after Eternal Exodus
  • Phase 3 (75% to 50% HP):
    • Turn 1: Unhand Me, Sunlight's Dawn at end of turn
    • Turn 2: Behold my Power or Howling Winds
    • Turn 3: Behold my Power, Howling Winds, My Sorrow, or My Wrath
    • Turn 4: Behold my Power, Howling Winds, My Sorrow, or My Wrath
    • Turn 5: My Mercy
    • Loops until 50% HP, sans Sunlight's Dawn
    • Once Ur-Child reaches 75% HP, it summons two Origin Buds, and moves onto Phase 4
  • Phase 4:
    • Turn 1: Noble Rest, Twilight's Gleam at end of turn
    • Turn 2: Howling Winds
    • Turn 3: Value of Solitude, Twilight's Gleam at end of turn
    • Turn 4: Eternal Exodus
    • If the Origin Buds are killed before Turn 3, Ur-Child will use Twilight's Gleam at the end of the turn, and skip to Eternal Exodus
    • Ur-Child moves onto Phase 5 after Eternal Exodus
  • Phase 5 (50% to 30% HP):
    • Turn 1: Unhand Me, Release my Power at end of turn
    • Turn 2: Dance with Lunacy or My Wrath
    • Turn 3: My Sorrow or Behold my Power
    • Turn 4: My Mercy
    • Turn 5: Null thy Strength or Pity the Weak
    • Turn 6: Howling Winds
    • Turn 7: Value of Solitude
    • Turn 8: Sunlight's Dawn
    • Ur-Child summons two Origin Buds and moves onto Phase 6 after Turn 8
    • If Ur-Child drops below 30% HP at any point, it will immediately summon two Origin Buds and skip to Phase 6
  • Phase 6:
    • Turn 1: Noble Rest, My Realm at end of turn
    • Turn 2: Dance with Lunacy
    • Turn 3: My Wrath, My Sorrow or My Mercy
    • Turn 4: Behold my Power or Value of Solitude
    • Turn 5: Howling Winds, Twilight's Gleam at end of turn
    • Turn 6: Eternal Exodus, Sunlight's Dawn at end of turn
    • If the Origin Buds are killed, Ur-Child will resummon them at the end of the turn
    • If the second set of Origin Buds are killed, Ur-Child cast Twilight's Gleam at the end of the turn, and skip to the Eternal Exodus turn
  • Phase 7 (Until death):
    • Turn 1: Unhand Me, Release my Power at end of turn
    • Turn 2: Null thy Strength or Pity the Weak
    • Turn 3: My Wrath, My Sorrow, or My Mercy, My Realm at end of turn
    • Turn 4: Behold my Power or Dance with Lunacy
    • Turn 5: My Wrath, My Sorrow, or My Mercy (not whichever was casted on Turn 3)
    • Turn 6: Howling Winds or Value of Solitude
    • Turn 7: My Wrath, My Sorrow, or My Mercy (not whichever were casted on Turns 3 and 5), My Realm at end of turn
    • Turn 8: Behold my Power or Dance with Lunacy (not whichever was casted on Turn 4)
    • Turn 9: Howling Winds or Value of Solitude (not whichever was casted on Turn 6)
    • Turn 10: Eternal Exodus, My Realm if it's not in effect
    • Turn 10 will loop infinitely until Ur-Child dies

gently caress UR-CHILD. Ur-Child exmplifies everything wrong with EO2U's boss design: a strict pattern that's designed to severely punish you for not memorizing it beforehand, summons that do nothing but prolong the fight and punish you for not killing them within a strict time limit, kill moves you can't possibly see coming on the first time around, and monstrous HP inflation. 140k HP is already way too loving much, that's over DOUBLE what the Great Dragon had, and that was already a loving annoying HP sponge, but then you factor in the fact that Ur-Child's gonna cast Noble Rest three times, and you realize that it effectively has closer to 170k HP!

I will admit, I do like the idea of Ur-Child manipulating your Force--however, just flat breaking or completely restoring it isn't that great of an implementation, and it doesn't really add much to the fight as a whole. In fact, it can actually seriously gently caress you over. Notice how Ur-Child waits until Turn 8 to cast Sunlight's Dawn in Phase 5. If you don't wait for that turn and instead knock it down to below 30% HP, you are NOT getting your Force back for the rest of the fight, which is pretty goddamn bad with the two back-to-back summons of Origin Buds right after it.

Value of Solitude deserves special mention, by the way. It is the worst kind of gently caress you to the player--it not only punishes you for not knowing the pattern ahead of time in Phase 4, it can just randomly loving happen in Phases 6 and 7! Don't have an easy way to kill someone, even if you know the pattern? gently caress you, then, hope you can bind Ur-Child's legs!

Oh, yeah, speaking of binds, Ur-Child's also immune to every useful disable. Did you like using Hexers up to this point? Too bad, they're considerably less useful for Ur-Child, to the point where I consider them actively garbage. Arm and leg binds only disable a couple of anciliary skills (although leg binds DO disable Value of Solitude), poison is absolutely laughable this late in the game, and blind's only really useful if you have the Blind Effect Up food on, and even then, you can only inflict it a few times throughout the fight.

The Origin Buds are also a special kind of hell. 10k HP is non-trivial to burn through, and you have to kill both of them within 3 turns for most instances in the fight, and you have to do it twice in a row for Phase 6. Failed to meet that time limit? Enjoy an unavoidable game over, since Twilight's Gleam ensures you'll never have either Perfect Defense or True Endurance for Eternal Exodus.

So, I imagine you're probably wondering what my strategy is. This is the party I will be bringing to Ur-Child:

Front row

Colette: Barrier is absolutely invaluable, given how many disables Ur-Child tosses around, and the fight's drat near impossible on Expert without it. In fact, my strategy with Colette is to literally just have her spam it every turn Ur-Child does anything that can potentially inflict a disable.

Ursa: Ursa's job is the same as always, and that is to keep the rest of the party out of harm's way. With the Bikini Armor, she's really loving good at tanking My Wrath/Sorrow/Mercy--in fact, she can eat pretty much everything, short of Howling Winds, full party Value of Solitude, and Eternal Exodus, of course. Auto-Lick and Auto-Heal also mean that she's incredibly self-reliant, and will be at pretty much either full or near-full HP for every turn.

Ranger: Ranger deals damage. That's it. Akashic Nova combined with Crusade is really loving good at just wiping the Origin Buds in one turn. If you're playing a purely Classic save (ie. no NG+ from Story mode), you can probably put a Ronin in this slot as a generic damage dealer. They don't really get the benefit of elemental weaknesses, but there's not really anyone else you can put in that slot that'd do much better.

Back row

Stardust: It wouldn't be a boss fight without Stardust, would it? She'll do the same thing as Ranger: deal elemental damage. Eschaton deals slightly less than Akashic Nova, due to not hitting a weakness, but it'll still wipe out the Origin Buds in one shot with Crusade.

Milly: Buffs are incredibly important in EO2U, and it stands to reason that I'd bring Milly along for the final fight. Crusade is reserved for one thing, and one thing only: enabling Stardust and Ranger to wipe out the Origin Buds in one turn.

That should do it for my thoughts on Ur-Child. Get ready, because tomorrow, it all ends.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

(Addendum: for EO2U early submissions, if you're thinking about submitting a character, I ask that you try and think of one for the classes that don't have as many submissions as the others. At the time of this post, this includes Dragoon, Necromancer, and Masurao.)

Fencer: Aniodia's Anya (1B), Poltergrift's Sette (4B), Pyro Jack's Florete (2A), BlackPersona's Emma (4A)
Shaman: Dr. Fetus's Gabbo (1A), Level Seven's Non (1B), Poltergrift's Paige (4A)

Clarste posted:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Original Sin: Ur-Devil

That's...!
Is that the 'deepest darkness' ...!?
It just sounded like empty melodrama to me, but... this power... Maybe its name really is accurate...
I don't feel good... looking at that thing...
Y-Yeah. My hands are... shaking, just thinking about fighting it...
No drat way we're just going to leave it be, though.
Yes...! Truly... in the entire forest, there has been nothing as powerful as this monstrosity...

Indeed... all your senses and experiences are telling you that this entity possesses power beyond anything you've ever known! Knowing that, and feeling the raw malice radiating from this being, you immediately understand that it must be defeated! Are you fully prepared for the momentous battle that awaits? If you are, then there is no need for further words! Here, at the zenith of High Lagaard's Yggdrasil, confront and slay the deepest darkness of the Labyrinth!

Oh boy, here we go.

Here's the food effect I'm making use of. It makes the upcoming fight MUCH more tolerable.

Also I normally don't do this, but I'll tell you what my inventory consists of for this fight:
  • 6 Medica IVs
  • 18 Amrita IIs
  • 3 Soma Primes
  • 17 Nectar IIs
  • 5 Therica As
  • 5 Therica Bs
  • 6 Axcelas
You're probably thinking that's complete and utter overkill. Trust me when I say it isn't. Even though my inventory is completely filled, I still feel completely unprepared for this fight.

Every single character in my party has been Trained at level 99, so they all have an extra 10 points in each stat, and 10 extra skill points to work with.

Knight is the main damage dealer for this fight. It's important to have Transform active as long as possible so he can accomplish that goal. Also I wasn't mixing and matching Grimoires from other classes before, but now I am. I need every bit of help I can for this fight.

Chloe is one of my secondary damage dealers, but she's also gonna be playing a support role, ensuring that the boss will get locked out of using more of its more important moves.

Flavio is my other secondary damage dealer, who is also playing a support role. He's probably one of the most important supports in my party, allowing me to scout out what the boss is going to do, and effectively buying me a few free turns with his skillset. Blind and Poison are the only ailments the boss can be hit by, so there is absolutely no point in investing in Paralysis and Sleep Arrow.

Bertrand's main role is ensuring that the party does not die. Not an exciting role, but an important one. If he dies at the wrong time, I am hosed. Plain and simple.

Arianna is the party's safety net. There is little room to screw up in this fight, but Dauntless Order can get me a bit more wiggle room to work with.

And yeah, my equipment setup is mostly the same for most of my party members. Everyone except Flavio has Dragonbanes purely for the 5 point stat boost it gives them. I'd give one to Flavio, but he can't use Swords. Everyone is in a bikini because armor honestly does not matter at all for this fight. The boss' physicals will either kill the party, or they won't. There isn't much middle ground. The boss' elementals are survivable with the Bikini Armor, though. The Gold Belts are for the extra 100 HP and the 5 point boost to all stats.

And as a courtesy, proof that I am doing this on Expert. There is actually a reward for defeating this boss on that difficulty. You get no such thing when doing so on Picnic and Standard.

I'm going to warn you, if you're going to do this fight on Expert, your party members need at least 501 HP if you're using Over Somas. If not, they need at least 601 HP. Also no matter what difficulty you do this fight on, you need a Protector or a Beast! But don't bring both, or bad things happen.

Another thing to note, if you tried to look up how people handle this fight, you would pretty much see mostly cheese parties and no one even bothering to do it legitimately. Allow me to show you the reason why no one in their right mind would bother to attempt such a thing!

Here we go.

Here it is. The ultimate challenge pile of bullshit, the Ur-Devil.

Ur-Devil
HP: 280000
TEC: 99
VIT: 75
AGI: 65
LUC: 85
Exp: 999999
Attack Type: Cut
Skills:
  • Selfless Strength: Does not use a body part. A STR based attack that deals 500% damage to the entire party. (Drains the party's TP instead of their HP.) Has no damage type. 900% speed. Cannot miss.
  • Null thy Strength: Uses the Arms. A STR based Bash attack that 220% damage to a single target, and deals splash damage. Splash damage deals 50% of the initial damage. Targets have their physical and elemental attack power reduced by 50% for 4 turns. 120% speed. 99 hit rate.
  • Behold my Power: Uses the Arms. A STR based Bash attack that randomly attacks the party 3 to 5 times. Deals 130% damage per hit. Attempts to inflict Petrification, Poison, Paralysis, Panic, Terror, and Sleep. Has a 2% success rate. Cannot hit the same person more than twice. Poison deals around 435 damage. 80% speed. 99 hit rate.
  • Pity the Weak: Uses the Arms. A STR based Cut attack that deals 250% damage to a single target and pierces to the back row. Targets take an extra 150% damage from physical and elemental attacks for 4 turns. 120% speed. 99 hit rate.
  • Dance with Lunacy: Uses the Arms. Attempts to inflict Blind, Curse, Poison, Paralysis, or Panic on the entire party. Has a 35% success rate. Poison deals around 650 damage. 100% speed.
  • My Wrath: Uses the Head. A TEC based Fire attack that randomly attacks the party 3 to 5 times. Deals 220% damage per hit. Attempts to inflict Head Bind, Arm Bind, and Leg Bind. Has a 10% success rate. 70% speed. 160 hit rate.
  • My Sorrow: Uses the Head. A TEC based Ice attack that randomly attacks the party 3 to 5 times. Deals 220% damage per hit. Attempts to inflict Head Bind, Arm Bind, and Leg Bind. Has a 10% success rate. 70% speed. 160 hit rate.
  • My Mercy: Uses the Head. A TEC based Volt attack that randomly attacks the party 3 to 5 times. Deals 220% damage per hit. Attempts to inflict Head Bind, Arm Bind, and Leg Bind. Has a 10% success rate. 70% speed. 160 hit rate.
  • Howling Winds: Does not use a body part. A TEC based Almighty attack that deals 1000% damage to a single target. 50% speed. 99 hit rate.
  • Call Ally: Does not use a body part. Summons the Ur-Eyes and sets Ur-Devil's damage resistances to 0%. Always goes last. Does not use up Ur-Devil's turn.
  • Noble Rest: Does not use a body part. Recovers 5000-99999 HP, depending on how much damage you inflicted in its previous phase. Always goes first.
  • Value of Solitude: Uses the Legs. A STR based Stab attack that deals 1175% damage to the whole party if there are 5 living party members, 150% damage otherwise. 10% speed. 170 hit rate.
  • Despise Solitude: Uses the Legs. A STR based Stab attack that deals 1500% damage to the whole party if a single party member is dead, 150% damage otherwise. 10% speed. 170 hit rate.
  • Strongman's Glory: Does not use a body part. Restores around 225 TP to the front row. Does not use up Ur-Devil's turn.
  • Recluse's Glory: Does not use a body part. Restores around 225 TP to the back row. Does not use up Ur-Devil's turn.
  • Release my Power: Uses the Head. Dispels any debuffs on Ur-Devil, and raises his physical and elemental attack power by 50% and reduces damage taken by 20% for 6 turns. The attack buff and defense buff count as separate buffs. 120% speed.
  • Darkness' Shroud: Uses the Head. Dispels all buffs and from the party, places a debuff that lowers the party's HP recovery by 50% for 4 turns. When cast, it inflicts guaranteed Instant Death on the party. The Instant Death component completely ignores any Instant Death resistances and immunities your party members have, meaning that not even Fairy's Robe can protect you from this. The Instant Death component does not take place if your party members have buffs at the time of casting, meaning that the only way to avoid it is to have buffs on your party members. 80% speed. Has negative priority.
  • Know thy Reason: Does not use a body part. A TEC based elemental attack (Damage type depends on which Ur-Eye Ur-Devil decides to use. The Ur-Eye he uses is random) that deals 3000% damage to the entire party. If there are no available Ur-Eyes to choose from on the turn it decides to cast this, Know Thy Reason's damage type changes to Almighty. 10% speed. 200 hit rate.
  • Twilight's Gleam: Does not use a body part. Breaks everyone's Force. Anyone that's currently in the Force Boost state will have their Force Boost dispelled and broken. 70% speed.
  • Sunlight's Dawn: Does not use a body part. Restores everyone's Force, even if it has been broken. 70% speed.
  • Shed Thy Tears: Does not use a body part. Deals 1800 damage to a row, divided equally among its members. Has no damage type. 90% speed. Cannot miss.
  • Realm of Death: Does not use a body part. Places an environmental effect that prevents the party from dispelling debuffs, ailments, binds, and prevents them from reviving dead party members for 4 turns. 80% speed. Does not use up Ur-Devil's turn.
  • Amplify: Does not use a body part. Enables Eternal Exodus to hit up to 15 times and greatly increases its damage. Does not use up Ur-Devil's turn.
  • Eternal Exodus: Does not use a body part. A TEC based Almighty attack that randomly attacks the party 10 times. Deals 70% damage per hit. Cannot hit the same person more than twice. 10% speed. Cannot miss. Since Ur-Devil cannot be stopped from casting Amplify, this version of Eternal Exodus will never be seen in this fight.
  • Eternal Exodus (Amplified): Does not use a body part. A TEC based Almighty attack that randomly attacks the party 15 times. Deals 3000% damage per hit. Cannot hit the same person more than three times. 10% speed. Cannot miss.
Damage resistances:
Disable resistances:
150% 150% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%
0% 100% 100%
Description: The ultimate evolution created by the Ruler of Heaven. It has the power of ruin and reckoning.

Wait, what the gently caress? Overlord thought Ur-Child wasn't enough, so he created something even more powerful than it!? Uh, moving on.

That's quite the skillset, huh? If that wasn't enough, it also has a ridiculously elaborate attack pattern, like Ur-Child. But whereas Ur-Child's attack pattern was a flawed execution of testing your Force management skills, Ur-Devil's attack pattern can simply be described as a mountain of failure conditions! One tiny mistake can cost you the fight, and there are plenty of points where that could happen.

To prevent your eyes from glazing over more than they probably already have, I'll post pieces of his attack pattern one at a time.

Phase 1:
  • Turn 1: Selfless Strength.
  • Turn 2: Null thy Strength or Behold my Power. The first time it'll use a random move, but any subsequent moves will use Behold my Power if Null thy Strength was cast the first time, and vice versa. Ur-Devil will keep switching between the two moves as this phase goes on.
  • Turn 3: My Wrath, My Sorrow, or My Mercy. The first time it'll use a random move, but any subsequent moves will use My Sorrow if My Wrath was cast the first time, My Mercy if My Sorrow was cast, and etc.
  • Turn 4: Pity the Weak or Dance with Lunacy. The first time it'll use a random move, but any subsequent moves will use Dance with Lunacy if Pity the Weak was cast the first time, or Pity the Weak if Dance with Lunacy was cast.
  • Turn 5: Howling Winds. The pattern loops, but it'll start at turn 2 every time. Ur-Devil casts Strongman's Glory at the end of the turn on the 1st loop, and Twilight's Gleam on the 3rd loop.
Once Ur-Devil falls below a certain HP threshold, he'll summon 2 Red Ur-Eyes, and moves onto the next phase.

On Picnic, Ur-Devil will transition to phase 2 once he drops below 51% (142800).
On Standard, the HP threshold is 67% (187600).
On Expert, the HP threshold is 76% (212800).

Also this fight is a bit unique in that Ur-Devil's attack pattern depends entirely upon which difficulty you choose to fight it on. Since I'm on Expert, I have to deal with the whole thing. Well, let's get this started.

Before I have Knight Transform, I want to get up to around 150 Force for him first.

Chloe will deal some damage.

Now Ur-Devil likes to do this thing where it follows a specific pattern, but the first move in said pattern is randomized. Blinding Ur-Devil will not only give me a few free turns, it also lets me know what its pattern is going to be.

Selfless Strength will fully drain the party's TP, effectively leaving them helpless. I'll have Bertrand take one for the team. He won't need to use his skills for a good while, anyway.

Arianna will buff the front row.

Time for Bertrand to take one for the team.

Yeah, take a good look at all that TP damage. Oh I should note those numbers are because of the damage reduction from Hit-Taker. If I just let the entire party get hit by Selfless Strength, they would have lost over 1300 TP!

I'll just say that my entire strategy revolves entirely around not dealing with Ur-Devil's pattern in the first place. I don't feel like playing guessing games, so I'll just make it so that Ur-Devil can't hit me at all. Flavio's chances of landing Blind on Ur-Devil for each stack of Accumulative Resistance Ur-Devil builds up are approximately 162%, 129%, 97%, 64%, and 32%. He only has 1 less point of luck than Ur-Devil, so the chances are only slightly lower. Not that it really matters in the first place. So I essentially have 2 guaranteed Blinds, 1 almost guaranteed, 1 with an okay chance of landing, and one with a really low chance of landing. I'll have to make those inflictions count.

...That was only less than 1% of Ur-Devil's total HP. Yeeeeep, we are in for a long fight!

Standard setup.

This is Flavio's best damage move for now.

Thanks to Ur-Devil being blind, Bertrand doesn't need to do anything vital for a few turns. So he was the perfect candidate to sacrifice. But I won't build up his TP back up just yet. I want to ensure that Knight's Force gauge reaches 150.

It seems I'll have to watch out for Behold my Power on the next loop. As much as I would love to not have to deal with this thing's attack patterns more than once...

I'm not exactly taking off a lot of its HP here.

Ah, excellent. Knight's Force gauge has reached the right amount.

Which means I can really start dishing out damage to Ur-Devil!

Also prepare to hear that song a lot throughout this battle.

Pity the Weak or Dance with Lunacy will be used on the next turn. While Pity the Weak can be avoided, Dance with Lunacy is purely a status move, so Blind won't do a thing to it. However, it uses the arms, so I'll have Chloe Arm bind Ur-Devil so I can scout out which skills to look out for from now on.

Unfortunately, this is Flavio's other only real damage option for now.

I'll have Bertrand spend a few turns building his TP pool back up.

Arianna will help dish out the pain.

...Yeah, not that great. Having a level 20 version wouldn't have helped all that much either, as Flavio would have done 1100 instead of 800 damage. Whoopee.

All according to plan.

And this lets me know to look out for My Wrath on the next loop.

If I didn't have the blind food in effect, I would have had to guess which elemental move it would have used on this turn. And if I got unlucky, several of my party members would have died.

5300 damage would normally be a respectable amount of damage, but it's only just less than 2% of Ur-Devil's max HP. But this is the best I can dish out right now.

Oh sorry, 6800 points of damage. Which isn't much better.

Finishing up the combo.

And this is Flavio's main source of damage for this fight, and the move I'm going all in on. Since I don't intend for Ur-Devil to attack me that often, Flavio should get off a decent amount of Hazy Arrows.

That was from Sagittarius Shot, for the record.

That's from Hazy Arrow. Not on the level of Chloe's damage output, but every little bit helps.

Oh good. If Pity the Weak is all I have to look out for on the next loop, then Chloe can just keep throwing out Ailing Slashes instead of having to toss up a Barrier.

That's a total of 11495 damage, which is only 4% of Ur-Devil's max HP. We've still got a ways to go.

Since Knight isn't gonna be dealing damage this turn, I swapped Bertrand to the front row.

It's absolutely important for Knight to be Transformed as long as possible. You saw how much damage he was dealing compared to Chloe and Flavio.

Howling Winds is pretty much guaranteed to kill a party member. The only saving grace of the skill is that it's less accurate than Ur-Devil's other moves. Which isn't saying much, because its base accuracy is 99.

At the end of the first loop, Ur-Devil will cast this move.

Which restores a decent amount of TP to the front row. That's why I had Bertrand move up there, so he wouldn't have to keep eating Amrita IIs.

Oh yes, he only does this once, so don't try to stall out this phase hoping to get more TP back for your party. Not only that, if you let the phase loop 3 times, Ur-Devil will cast Twilight's Gleam at the end of the 3rd loop (after 13 turns pass), which completely breaks your party's Force gauges. Essentially if you let the fight reach that point, the fight becomes completely unwinnable! I have to deal over 67200 points of damage in 13 turns or I lose. And considering the party's damage output, I'm on an extremely tight time limit here.

I'm swapping Knight back to the front row and preparing to make use of Accelerate.

Unfortunately, the blind wore off, and I really don't want to have to focus on dealing enough damage in time and dealing with Ur-Devil's skills at the same time, so I'm gonna inflict it again.

If Bertrand has nothing better to do, I'll just use Shield Smite for some extra damage.

Meh.

It's not looking too good at this point.

I really hope I can get to the next phase in time.

I'm using Shock Circle instead of Link Order here, because the overall DPS I'll dish out here is way more than if I had Arianna just use Link Order. For one thing, Link Order only scales off of the base damage. And if whoever set it off used a Charge skill beforehand, the damage boost from the charge doesn't get factored into Link Order's damage. I need to optimize as much as I can to win this fight.

That was around a total of 16400 damage! The unfortunate part? In some of my failed attempts, that wasn't enough to drag Ur-Devil into the next phase. This means I am nowhere near out of the woods yet.

Just because my party hasn't taken any bit of damage whatsoever doesn't mean I have the upper hand in this fight. Not even close.

And blowing Akashic Nova just to get to the next phase is beyond stupid. So instead, I'll cancel Knight's Transformation.

Eh, why not? It's not like her Force Boost is that important.

I have Arianna set up Dauntless Orders in case something goes very wrong. What it does is it places an endure effect on a row for a few turns. If someone takes a mortal blow, they have an 80% chance of surviving and being healed for a bit. If I make a mistake, this skill is my only safety net.

I don't need your pity.

The reason I wanted Knight's Force gauge to reach 150 was so I could Transform as soon as possible when I used Force Reset. Though I don't want to blow my Force just yet, so I set up a Delayed Chase instead.

Arianna has nothing better to do, so why not? Besides, I need all the TP I can get for this fight.

I'm surprised the 2nd blind has lasted this long. I was willing to activate Chloe's Force Boost just to increase my damage output if necessary.

There is a way to deal with this move that doesn't involve blinding Ur-Devil, but I haven't found the need to use that method yet.

I am taking a really big risk here. If I time this wrong, I'll lose the fight. Knight only has 1 free turn to burn here while Transformed.

I don't have that many turns left before Ur-Devil uses Twilight's Gleam, so I'll activate Flavio's Force Boost to get some extra damage in.

I love the Apple Matcha Shaved Ice.

Holy crap, yes! I got to the 2nd phase just in time!

And yes, Ur-Devil has adds as well, because of course he does. The worst part? Until you take them out, Ur-Devil's damage resistances drop to 0%, meaning that it takes no damage while the adds are alive. And unlike Ur-Child, Ur-Devil is still considered a valid target, meaning that using random target moves to deal with the adds aren't going to be effective.

Oh right, the adds.

Ur-Eye (Red)
HP: 11000
Exp: 0
Skills:
  • Wave of Ruin: Does not use a body part. Only used upon death; targets the character who killed it. Deals 2000% TEC based Fire damage to a single target, and deals splash damage. Splash damage deals 50% of the initial damage. Cannot miss.
  • Death's Glimmer: Uses the Head. Attempts to inflict Instant Death on a single party member. Has a 999% success rate. 80% speed.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 0% 125% 100%
Disable resistances:
100% 100% 100% 0% 0% 100% 100%
0% 0% 10%
100% 100% 100%

Also here's Ur-Devil's attack pattern in phase 2.

Phase 2:
  • Turn 1: Noble Rest. If the Ur-Eyes are still alive, Ur-Devil casts Darkness' Shroud at the end of the turn.
  • Turn 2: Dance with Lunacy. Surviving Ur-Eyes use Death's Glimmer.
  • Turn 3: Know thy Reason.
  • Turn 4: Howling Winds. Surviving Ur-Eyes use Death's Glimmer.
  • Turn 5: Howling Winds.
  • Turn 6: Know thy Reason. Surviving Ur-Eyes use Death's Glimmer. Ur-Devil casts Amplify at the end of the turn.
  • Turn 7: Eternal Exodus + Twilight's Gleam. Ur-Devil moves onto the next phase if the Ur-Eyes are all dead. If not, he will move onto turn 8 instead.
  • Turn 8 and beyond: Howling Winds.
If the Ur-Eyes die early, Ur-Devil will skip any end of turn actions he was about to perform and immediately skip to using Amplify. If the Ur-Eyes are still alive during turn 7, Ur-Devil will use Howling Winds over and over until they're all dead.

On Picnic, Ur-Devil will go back to phase 1 and will not do any more phase transitions, meaning that the first phase permanently loops. He will however, start off by casting Selfless Strength, so be careful about that. On Standard and Expert, Ur-Devil moves onto phase 3.

So yeah. The Ur-Eyes need to be killed as soon as possible. Because they use Death's Glimmer every other turn, which is pretty much guaranteed to succeed, though Fairy's Robe can block it.

However, see how Ur-Devil uses Know thy Reason on turns 3 and 6? What that move does is deals 3000% AOE damage to everyone, but its damage type is randomly chosen from any available Ur-Eyes. So in this case it would deal Fire damage to everyone, but that's easily blocked with Fire Wall. The problem is, if I kill the Ur-Eyes on those very turns, Know thy Reason becomes an Almighty attack! Which cannot be defended against at all, so I lose if that happens.

Why not just use Perfect Defense on it? Because that's against the rules. You'll see what I mean by that later.

The reason I said Knight only had 1 free turn during Transform is because I need 2 turns to take advantage of Accelerate.

I activate Chloe's Force Boost so she can soften up the Ur-Eyes. Also because I plan on using Fairy's Robe in case something goes horribly wrong.

11 tuns in, and we've only taken off that much HP.

Flavio will soften up the other Ur-Eye.

At the start of an Ur-Eye phase, Ur-Devil will use Noble Rest to undo some of your progress. Jerk.

Preparations are in order.

Oh yes, Darkness Shroud.

What it does is that it completely purges all buffs from your party. If a party member does not have any buffs, they are instantly killed. This cannot be blocked, not even with Fairy's Robe! Forget to buff your party? Sorry, you lose.

Oh and it also places an HP recovery debuff, but considering that most of Ur-Devil's moves end up killing you outright instead of dealing a bit of damage, the debuff is a bit inconsequential.

This is the reason I didn't want to blow Akashic Nova early. This is the only way I can safely destroy all the Ur-Eyes without having to deal with the entire phase.

But even with Akashic Nova, Knight can't kill the Ur-Eyes by himself, so Flavio will finish them off.

Unfortunately, when the Ur-Eyes get killed, they target their killer with a 2000% TEC damage elemental attack! And as insult to injury, it deals splash damage. This is why everyone except Knight has an elemental wall Grimoire equipped, so they can block that move.

The main reason I had Knight use Accelerate was so he could get priority and go before the Ur-Eyes could use Death's Glimmer. Also that's convenient, taking them out before Flavio could get off his Force Break.

Yeah no, not happening.

For the record, there is absolutely no point in saving your Force Breaks at this time.

And-oh gently caress, I forgot he used Dance with Lunacy on this turn!

Yeah, that was not worth 2000 extra damage.

And here comes this move.

May as well set up with Knight here.

Fortunately, I still have Fairy's Robe available, so I can purge off the status effects easily.

Oh yeah, remember when I said using Perfect Defense is against the rules? This is why.

Because it casts a move called Eternal Exodus. What it does is it deals deals 3000% Almighty damage to each party member, which equates to 6000 points of damage, and hits everyone up to 3 times each! It cannot miss, and Ur-Devil cannot be prevented from casting this since it's immune to every single status effect aside from Poison and Blind. Meaning that if you do not have a Protector or Beast in the party you cannot win the fight! Perfect Defense and True Endurance are the only ways to deal with this move. Well apparently someone discovered a way to survive it without those, but that involves a Medic, Sovereign, and a Troubadour. And we don't have all of them. I am literally not allowed to use Perfect Defense for anything else in this fight, or I will make it unwinnable. Also, Eternal Exodus will still kill you even on Picnic if you don't defend against it properly. Yeah. They really did not want you living through it without those 2 Force Breaks.

And if you had the cheeky idea to bring both a Protector and a Beast, or multiples of those classes, Ur-Devil will randomly cast Twilight's Gleam throughout his Ur-Eye phases! “Because gently caress you for not doing this fight the way we intended it.”

Does this all sound completely insane? Too bad, because we're only just getting started with the fight. That pattern was meant for Picnic players so it's not as bad as the later phases. Oh yes, it gets worse.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Original Sin: Mistakes Were Made

Also, Ur-Devil casts Twilight's Gleam after Eternal Exodus, which is why I said hanging onto your Force was completely pointless.

We're now in the 3rd phase, so I'll list the details of that here.

Phase 3:
  • Turn 1: Value of Solitude. Ur-Devil will cast Sunlight's Dawn at the end of the turn, but only on the first loop.
Now from here, Ur-Devil has 3 different patterns. The first pattern chosen is random. On subsequent loops pattern B will be used if pattern A was used previously, pattern C will be used if pattern B was used previously, and pattern A will be used if pattern C was used previously.

Pattern A:
  • Turn 2: Howling Winds.
  • Turn 3: Despise Solitude.
  • Turn 4: My Sorrow.
Pattern B:
  • Turn 2: My Mercy.
  • Turn 3: Howling Winds.
  • Turn 4: Despise Solitude.
Pattern C:
  • Turn 2: My Wrath.
  • Turn 3: Howling Winds.
  • Turn 4: Despise Solitude.
Then it converges at turn 5.
  • Turn 5: Dance with Lunacy. The pattern then loops from turn 1. On the first loop, Ur-Devil will cast Recluse's Glory at the end of the turn. On the 3rd loop, he'll cast Twilight's Gleam instead.
Once Ur-Devil falls below a certain HP threshold, he'll summon 2 Blue Ur-Eyes and 2 Yellow Ur-Eyes, and moves onto the next phase.

On Standard, Ur-Devil will transition to phase 4 once he drops below 34% (95200).
On Expert, the HP threshold is 51% (142800).

So this phase is one you really don't want running for long. For one thing, the very first move is uses is Value of Solitude, which punishes you for having a 5 man party, or 5 living party members. Not only that, the turn after that is random on the first loop! You have no idea what Ur-Devil is going to cast. But let me go over the problems of this pattern in more detail.

The best way to deal with Howling Winds with this party is for Flavio to use Chain Dance, a move that increases aggro by 440% and increases his evasion by 600. This can be combined with his Speed Up passive to increase his overall evasion to 800, reducing Howling Winds' base accuracy to 19. However, the elemental moves have a base accuracy of 160, which will only get reduced to 80. So if Flavio uses Chain Dance there, he'll be taking all the damage from those elemental attacks and die. Meaning that no one can deal with Howling Winds on the next turn, and then Ur-Devil will use Despise Solitude, which has the opposite effect of Value of Solitude, and punishes parties that dared to bring less than 5 living party members. So if someone gets killed by Howling Winds, I lose. Let me reiterate. The turn after Value of Solitude is a dice roll that can cause me to lose if I guess wrong. Great loving boss design, Atlus.

There isn't really much I can do right now. But you know what?

gently caress guessing games! There is no way I am dealing with that bullshit.

Yeah without Transform, Knight can't really do much.

At least I still have Chloe.

I really love the Apple Matcha Shaved Ice. It is the only thing that is making this fight remotely fair.

And here Ur-Devil used Sunlight's Dawn to give the party their Force back. Like with Ur-Child, Ur-Devil will take away and give back the party's Force at certain points, though Ur-Devil doesn't do that nearly as often.

Even though Knight has his Force back, I'll build up his Force back to 150 before using Transform.

Oh great. See if I decided to take my chances and not have Flavio use Chain Dance if I didn't Blind Ur-Devil, I would have lost the fight instantly, because Howling Winds would have killed someone, and then Despise Solitude would have killed everyone shortly afterwards. Though thanks to the Blind, I now know what sequence of patterns Ur-Devil is making use of for this phase without having to sacrifice anything.

I would have liked it to hit Flavio, since he could have gotten another Hazy Arrow off.

Now I'll set up a Delayed Chase. But unfortunately, the Blind wore off, so I'm in danger of losing the fight again once Value of Solitude comes up.

Even though Despise Solitude deals less damage if everyone is alive, it still deals a large amount of damage, especially since I have everyone in a Bikini.

And I'm putting up Dauntless Orders in case something goes horribly wrong.

1000 damage would actually be respectable in most other cases. Sadly, not here. Though I suppose every little bit helps.

Yeah, Despise Solitude still hits pretty hard. Also this is the first time in the fight my team has actually taken damage.

Okay, I think it's time to stop playing around.

And time to start actually dealing damage to Ur-Devil again.

Since I know that Ur-Devil will use My Sorrow, I prepare an Ice Wall, even though it can only nullify one hit per party member. But there isn't much else I can do about it.

Yeah, the elemental attacks are the main thing I'm worried about, which is why I had everyone wear the Bikini Armor. I can easily deal with the physicals, but I don't have many ways to shut down the elemental skills. Without the Bikini Armor, they would have been hitting for at least 600 damage per hit.

Finishing up the combo.

Dance with Lunacy will be used this turn, so that means Chloe should use Barrier.

Nope.

And it's gonna take a while to whittle down Ur-Devil's HP to 51%. While I generally disagree with most of the “HP bloat” complaints the game has gotten, I will fully admit that Ur-Devil falls under it hard.

And at the end of the first loop, Ur-Devil will cast Recluse's Glory, and restores some TP to the back row. Not that I really needed it in this case.

You know the drill.

Value of Solitude comes out this turn, and unfortunately, this is the only way I can deal with it. Oh well, I still have a decent chance of Blinding it.

In case it doesn't... well, I'll just have to hold onto my butt and pray.

Ur-Devil is once again a useless sack of crap.

I guess watching Ur-Devil whiff most of his attacks isn't all that exciting, but there really isn't much else I can do with this party. The Story mode party certainly has the tools needed to deal with the boss, but they are not the best ones for the job. I mean the only way I can deal with Value of Solitude with this party is to either bind his legs, which depends on Chloe hitting it with Legcut, and I really don't feel like burning her Force Boost right now. I mean, setting Ur-Devil up to kill my party members is easy enough, but engineering such a situation where I don't get screwed over in the long run? Not so easy.

Really, the only reliable way to avoid Value of Solitude is by using the Hexer's Sacrifice skill to instantly kill one of my party members, but I don't have that skill on me. But hey, there's a tip if you're thinking about trying this with a Classic mode party (You maniac.) Though to be honest, a Classic mode party would have a bit of an easier time with this than a Story mode party.

Since Ur-Devil is a useless sack of crap right now, and I've already listed out his pattern earlier, I'll just skip ahead a bit.

That should shut down the 3rd Value of Solitude.

I decided to use Arianna's Force Boost to get some buffs up on everybody, and I'll spend the last turn of it refueling my front line.

Yeah yeah, go ahead. I don't care.

Wait, gently caress! NO! I FORGOT TO USE BARRIER!

poo poo, this fight just went south real fast!

Fortunately, Transform functions as a full heal, so I can buy Knight more time at least.

I'll dispel the Poison from Chloe.

While Arianna will ensure that she does not die to one of Ur-Devil's attacks. Unfortunately, I made a big misplay here, one that's possibly game losing. I thought My Wrath would end up coming out this turn, when in reality it's Value of Solitude. And Ur-Devil still has his legs bound.

So I ended up having Bertrand completely waste his turn, when I could have cured Knight's Poison or uncursed Flavio or Arianna.

At least Chloe's out of the danger zone now.

Now to cure Knight.

Great, now all I have to do is cure Flavio, and then I'm all se-

AW CRAP, I DIDN'T REALIZE UR-DEVIL WAS THAT CLOSE TO HIS NEXT PHASE!

Ugh, it's really hard to keep track of Ur-Devil's exact HP when that HP bar is all I have to go on.

This really screws up my plans. If I knew he was that close to the next phase, I could have held back for one turn and set up an Accelerate.

Oh right, so the new adds and the new phase:

Ur-Eye (Blue)
Skills:
  • Wave of Ruin: Does not use a body part. Only used upon death; targets the character who killed it. Deals 2000% TEC based Ice damage to a single target, and deals splash damage. Splash damage deals 50% of the initial damage. Cannot miss.
  • Death's Glimmer: Uses the Head. Attempts to inflict Instant Death on a single party member. Has a 999% success rate. 80% speed.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 0% 125%
Disable resistances:
0% 0% 10%
100% 100% 100%

Ur-Eye (Yellow)
Skills:
  • Wave of Ruin: Does not use a body part. Only used upon death; targets the character who killed it. Deals 2000% TEC based Volt damage to a single target, and deals splash damage. Splash damage deals 50% of the initial damage. Cannot miss.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 125% 100% 0%
Disable resistances:
0% 0% 10%
100% 100% 100%

The other 2 Ur-Eyes show up in this phase. They're all pretty much the same enemy, aside from their weaknesses and the damage types of their versions of Wave of Ruin. And here's Ur-Devil's pattern in this phase:

Phase 4:
  • Turn 1: Noble Rest. If the Ur-Eyes are still alive, Ur-Devil casts Darkness' Shroud at the end of the turn.
  • Turn 2: Dance with Lunacy. Surviving Ur-Eyes use Death's Glimmer.
  • Turn 3: Know thy Reason.
  • Turn 4: Despise Solitude. Surviving Ur-Eyes use Death's Glimmer.
  • Turn 5: Value of Solitude.
  • Turn 6: Know thy Reason. Surviving Ur-Eyes use Death's Glimmer. Ur-Devil casts Amplify at the end of the turn.
  • Turn 7: Eternal Exodus. Ur-Devil moves onto the next phase. If any Ur-Eyes are still alive, he'll use Howling Winds instead until they're dead.
If the Ur-Eyes die early, Ur-Devil will skip any end of turn actions he was about to perform and immediately skip to using Amplify.

On Standard, Ur-Devil will go back to phase 3 and will not do any more phase transitions, meaning that the third phase permanently loops. On Expert, Ur-Devil moves onto phase 5.

Somewhat similar to phase 2, but Ur-Devil doesn't spam Howling Winds if you somehow haven't killed off the Ur-Eyes at the end of this phase.

I'm gonna try to land an Arm bind so I don't have to deal with Dance with Lunacy on the 2nd turn. This is because I want Chloe to use her elemental wall once Knight takes out all the Ur-Eyes. There are gonna be 4 Waves of Ruin coming out, so I need everyone to make use of a wall once that happens.

And here is where I realized that I hosed up.

By wasting Bertrand's turn earlier with Fire Wall instead of dispelling the ailments off my party, I can't dispel the curse on Flavio. And I have to use Summer Rain this turn to weaken the Ur-Eyes, because I need him to use his elemental walls on the next turn. Akashic Nova isn't capable of one-shotting the Ur-Eyes, especially since Darkness Shroud will wipe everyone's buffs this turn.

I could just revive him, but the problem is that Ur-Devil casts Darkness Shroud at the end of this turn and Flavio will revive with no buffs at all. Arianna is the only one available who could buff him, but she's much faster than Bertrand. Meaning that even if Bertrand revives Flavio, he's just going to die again, especially since Darkness Shroud has negative priority.

The worst part is, if Chloe's Arm Bind doesn't land, (unfortunately, that has a pretty high chance of not happening at this point) I'll have to use Fairy's Robe the next turn, meaning that only Bertrand and Arianna can use the elemental walls. And while Knight and Chloe will be shielded from the first Wave of Ruin, the 2nd one will take them out. Meaning that they get redirected to Bertrand and Arianna instead. And if when Bertrand dies, it's checkmate for me. Forgoing Fairy's Robe isn't an option either. Killing all the Ur-Eyes still has Ur-Devil cast whatever skill he was going to cast on the next turn. And Bertrand's LUC stat isn't stellar compared to Ur-Devil's so he has a high chance of getting Panicked or Paralyzed. The fight is essentially over if that happens since he won't be able to cast Perfect Defense to block Eternal Exodus.

I missed the screenshot, but Chloe failed to land the Arm bind.

And that means I've lost the fight.

But I might as well go out swinging.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 13, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
It probably doesn't need saying after that, but Ur-Devil is loving horseshit and I make no apologies for skipping it.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

:atlus:: the DLC

Kudos to you, Dr Fetus, for trying that at the least. Hopefully there aren't any similar horseshit bosses in EO5... right? :ohdear:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

BlackPersona posted:

:atlus:: the DLC

Kudos to you, Dr Fetus, for trying that at the least. Hopefully there aren't any similar horseshit bosses in EO5... right? :ohdear:

The final boss can be a serious pain in the rear end, but I'd say it's less "bullshit difficulty" and more "it just hits hard and you have to account for a lot of possibilities." The 1st Stratum boss, the 3rd Stratum boss, one of the postgame bosses, and the superboss all make use of summons, but they're considerably less annoying than in EO2U, and only the superboss uses them for a kill move--even then, you can stop it with either the Aegis Shield Union skill on a Brownie character, or by disabling literally any of the superboss's parts.

Oh, yeah, the superboss and its parts can actually be disabled. What a novelty, right?

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Yikes, the Ur-Devil is certainly something, that's for sure. I'm guesing the reward for beating it in Expert is ultimately worthless due to beating the strongest boss in the game to get it in the first place?

Name: Vega
Class: Dragoon
Portrait: 2A
Skin Color: Second row, 2nd
Hair Color: 216, 172, 254 (highlight) 148, 118, 173 (shade)
Eye Color: 164, 79, 164 (highlight) 99, 38, 98 (shade)
Voice: Soldier

Vega is a veteran explorer who traveled around the world to see the various labyrinths and mazes from the ruined world not for fame or fortunes but, disturbingly enough, for the sheer thrill of fighting dangerous creatures and especially against FOEs. One such fight that she'll never forget was against a Dinogator who gourged out her eye and she paid the creature back with it's death. Why does she love to feel the adrenaline rush against deadly battles is unknown but to her.

Pyro Jack fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 13, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

...Isn't having a maxed out protagonist by the end of an SMT story normal for those games? I've only really played Apocalypse in any great capacity, and I had a level 99 Nanashi quite a bit before even reaching YHVH.
I've played a bunch of SMT games and I've never hit level 99 (though I'm not done with Apocalypse). :shrug:

also the fact that ur-devil just says "no gently caress off" means I never have to bother trying that with sccs :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pyro Jack posted:

Yikes, the Ur-Devil is certainly something, that's for sure. I'm guesing the reward for beating it in Expert is ultimately worthless due to beating the strongest boss in the game to get it in the first place?

If you can beat Ur-Devil on Expert, you probably won't need Ragnarok. That being said, it's nice to have.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Name: Ren
Class: Cestus
Portrait: 4A
Skin Color: Second row, 4th
Hair Color: Preset, row 2, 2nd
Eye Color: Preset, 1st row, 4th
Voice: Timid

Ren is the warm, kind and motherly sort. She is somewhat shy around people she doesn't know and has a tendency to stutter when she's nervous. Don't let that fool you, though, when the chips are down she can punch her way right through a solid brick wall. She picked up this talent while hunting for her own ingredients in the wild, as she's a cooking hobbyist at heart. Really, really wants to pat a Therian on the head to see how soft their ears are.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Original Sin: The Pinnacle of poo poo

Wait, WHAT!? HOLY poo poo ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?

I... I legitimately did not know that Dauntless Order worked on Curse damage, or that it could be endured at all.

Holy poo poo. I'm still in the fight. I was taking a massive blind gamble there. Out of all the possible things I could have done on this turn, I happened to pick the correct choice. Which did not have a 100% chance of going well, mind you.

Talk about getting lucky, but I'm not complaining! It's time for Knight to rev up the pain train.

Kind of a shame that I lost the attack buffs, but whatever. Summer Rain weakened all the Ur-Eyes enough. ...I think.

Time to take out the Ur-Eyes. I switched around Chloe and Flavio's positions while prepping Knight's combo here.

Chloe still has to use Fairy's Robe, so I can only have 3 elemental walls up this turn. Meaning that I'll have to sacrifice Knight and Flavio. But you know what? That's much better than the alternative.

Besides, I can just have Arianna and Chloe revive them on the turn Ur-Devil uses Eternal Exodus.

Here we go!

And then I realized I didn't actually kill all the Ur-Eyes because Ur-Devil took a good chunk of the hits from Summer Rain, so one of the Ur-Eyes didn't get damaged all that much! :argh:

Then I realized that was a blessing in disguise. Since I only killed 3 Ur-Eyes, that means only 3 Waves of Destruction will come out, all of which I can block, so I don't have to sacrifice Knight or Flavio.

Phew. Good thing I had the foresight to use Fairy's Robe, as that could have turned ugly.

Know Thy Reason is coming out this turn, and it'll be forced to be a Volt attack since the only Ur-Eye active right now is a yellow one.

Now I'll have Knight take out the remaining Ur-Eye so I can get past this phase. But he's slower than it, so it might get a Death's Glimmer off.

To counteract that, I'll use Swap Step on Knight.

Despise Solitude is coming out this turn, so I'll have Bertrand use Sentinel Guard. It won't stop me from using Perfect Defense to use against Eternal Exodus.

And the Ur-Eye goes down!

...Wait a minute. Oh no.

gently caress! I FORGOT TO USE VOLT WALL!

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress!

...You know, my first attempts at this fight had Flavio in the back row, and Bertrand in the front. I am really glad I had that the other way around for this fight. I'm also really glad I had Bertrand's Force Boost active for that as well. I was very close to getting party wiped right then.

Without Bertand, this fight was as good as lost.

Fortunately, I'm not out of the fight yet. I can still recover from this.

...That was such a ridiculous string of luck right there. :psyduck:

Okay, we are now in phase 5.

Phase 5:
  • Turn 1: Release my Power.
  • Turn 2: Shed Thy Tears. Targets the front row.
  • Turn 3: My Wrath, My Sorrow, Despise Solitude, or My Mercy.
  • Turn 4: My Wrath, My Sorrow, Despise Solitude, or My Mercy. Ur-Devil will not use the skills he used in turn 3.
  • Turn 5: Shed Thy Tears. Targets the back row.
  • Turn 6: My Wrath, My Sorrow, Despise Solitude, or My Mercy. Ur-Devil will not use the skills he used in turns 3 and 4.
  • Turn 7: My Wrath, My Sorrow, Despise Solitude, or My Mercy. Ur-Devil will not use the skills he used in turns 3, 4, and 6.
  • Turn 8: Shed Thy Tears. Targets the front row.
  • Turn 9: Null Thy Strength or Pity the Weak.
  • Turn 10: Howling Winds.
  • Turn 11: Shed Thy Tears. Targets the back row.
  • Turn 12: Sunlight's Dawn. Ur-Devil summons 1 Red Ur-Eye, 1 Blue Ur-Eye, and 1 Yellow Ur-Eye at the end of the turn. He then moves onto the next phase.
Unlike the other phases, this one doesn't loop. Ur-Devil immediately moves onto the next phase after summoning the Ur-Eyes. But once he drops below 31% (86800 HP), he immediately skips everything and just summons the Ur-Eyes. This includes Sunlight's Dawn, so if you want your Force back, don't deal too much damage to him.

So you know how the previous non Ur-Eye phases were a DPS check? This one is the complete opposite. Like with the Ur-Child fight, Ur-Devil will only give back the party's Force if they let his phase play out. And the next Ur-Eye phase also has Ur-Devil cast Eternal Exodus. And no, Ur-Devil does not give back the party's Force during that phase either. That's right, dealing too much damage to Ur-Devil in this phase makes the fight completely unwinnable!

Though to be honest, that's not really an issue for the Story party. Without any Force, they can't do much to Ur-Devil. Try as they might, they won't be able to bring him below that threshold. But a Classic party is capable of dishing out more damage, so they'll have to hold back and wait through the phase doing nothing but defending against Ur-Devil's onslaught.

Truly the pinnacle of good boss design.

Ur-Devil will only buff himself this turn, so I can revive Knight and Flavio without any worries.

However, I really want everyone to be healed up because of what's coming up in a bit.

Eh, whatever. I can just purge that off with Ad Nihilo easily.

Okay, everyone is alive again, so I'm back in the fight. You know I'm not sure if I got through that by sheer luck or foresight. Maybe a combination of both, let's go with that.

Aaaaand, this is why I wanted everyone to be healed up. So in the fight with Ur-Child you just had to survive his onslaught. Ur-Devil adds in something special to the mix.

What Ur-Devil is doing is telegraphing Shed thy Tears. Which is gonna take a bit of explaining on how it works. So Shed thy Tears is a row target skill that deals untyped damage, which cannot be reduced in any way. It deals a total of 1800 damage exactly, which is then divided among how many people are in the targeted row. So a row with 1 party member will have them take 1800 damage, 2 party members will take 900 damage each, and a row with 3 party members will take 600 damage each. Yes that's right, row micromanagement is actually a thing that this fight is enforcing. Also if your party members don't have above 600 HP, the game basically tells them to go gently caress themselves. You can somewhat get around it with the Over Somas, which overheals the entire party for 100 HP, but you still need at least 501 HP in that case. Though that's a bit more manageable than having over 600 HP.

And here are some more problems with this skill. Ur-Devil telegraphs that he's going to use it, but he doesn't telegraph what row Shed thy Tears is going to hit. Also, allow me to take a step back and tell you that every part of this pattern I'm laying out, and all the skills used in it aren't known to a player that is going through this fight blind. The devs expected for the players to bash their heads against this boss fight in several attempts to figure out the pattern. Also, the mechanics of Shed thy Tears aren't communicated that clearly. If a player is using the 2/3 formation for their party, they are going to wonder why on earth their front line just got nuked for 900 damage, and will be completely clueless on how to mitigate it. What I'm saying is that this boss does not belong in an Etrian game at all.

Knight won't have access to Transform until this phase ends, so all he can do to Ur-Devil at this point is use Delayed Chase + Shock Sabre. Which doesn't deal that much damage, but if I don't whittle down Ur-Devil's HP as much as I can during this phase, I will heavily regret it later.

Since the front row is gonna take 600 damage this turn, I'm gonna have Chloe use War Heal to get everyone up to full health, and so that they can still recover from the damage at the end of the turn.

Won't be blinding Ur-Devil just yet, as Shed thy Tears can't miss.

Okay, good. The front row will live.

600 damage may seem like a small amount compared to what Ur-Devil can dish out normally, but consider that this damage is completely unresistable, and that it can rise to 900 or 1800 damage if you get put into a bad spot.

War Heal All really takes most of the sting out of this move.

This is the only thing Knight can really do at the moment.

Unfortunately, Ur-Devil will use a random set of skills on the next few turns. The saving grace is that Ur-Devil will never use the same skills more than once during this portion. Unfortunately, that causes things to become a bit of a guessing game. And you know what I do with guessing games?

I don't bother with them.

Not all that impressive, but there's not much Knight can do.

Well, that's one elemental skill out of the way. Though honestly, this is the main reason I had everyone in Bikinis. Ur-Devil uses his elemental moves far more than his physical ones.

This fight is just eating through my supplies

Oh boy, another Shed thy Tears turn coming up. This time it's targeting the back row.

This is who I'm having taking the brunt of the attack.

I then realized I forgot to purge off Release my Power off of Ur-Devil.

Let's fix that.

And while I had Bertrand use Shield Smite, as he had nothing better to do, he managed to bind Ur-Devil's arms. Hooray? Not that I need the arm bind at the moment.

This phase is purely about survival.

Not that it matters when he can't even hit us.

But that's not an excuse to let up on the damage at any point, unless you're too strong and are in danger of ending this phase prematurely.

Shed thy Tears is coming up again.

Though all I have to do is ensure 3 people are in the front row.

I'll be honest, I'm more worried about what's coming out next turn than Shed thy Tears.

I'm pretty sure my party has enough HP at the moment, so I'll have Chloe deal some damage instead of healing them up.

And just in case they don't, I'll have Bertrand use Sentinel Guard. That should reduce the damage of whatever's coming out enough, and besides, Howling Winds comes out on the next turn, which he can't do much about anyway.

Behold my Power came out here.

DAMMIT! It turned out that my party members did not have enough HP to withstand it. Fortunately, Dauntless Order was there to cover my rear end.

Howling Winds comes out this turn. The way I normally deal with it is to have Flavio use Chain Dance. The +60 evasion it provides, on top of Speed Up's +20 evasion, and on top of Flavio's high AGI makes it much easier to avoid. Also with Flavio in the front row, he will almost always get targeted by it.

If you don't have a Survivalist with Chain Dance? Hold onto your butt and pray.

Just as planned. Though on some attempts, Ur-Devil ended up killing someone else, or the evasion boost that Flavio had wasn't enough to avoid it.

And here's the last instance of Shed thy Tears in this phase.

This time, the back row will take the hit.

Okay, for the record, I was dealing damage at every opportunity I could, and this was the best the Story party could pull off. They don't have to worry about ending the phase prematurely, but a Classic party definitely has to.

The party's Force has come back. So that signals the end of this phase.

And the start of phase 6.

Phase 6:
  • Turn 1: Noble Rest. Ur-Devil casts Realm of Death at the end of the turn.
  • Turn 2: Dance of Lunacy. Surviving Ur-Eyes use Death's Glimmer.
  • Turn 3: Know thy Reason. Ur-Devil summons 1 Red Ur-Eye, 1 Blue Ur-Eye, and 1 Yellow Ur-Eye at the end of the turn if the first set of Ur-Eyes haven't all been killed.
  • Turn 4: Despise Solitude. Surviving Ur-Eyes from 1st summoning use Death's Glimmer.
  • Turn 5: Value of Solitude. Surviving Ur-Eyes from 2nd summoning use Death's Glimmer.
  • Turn 6: Know thy Reason. Surviving Ur-Eyes from 1st summoning use Death's Glimmer. Ur-Devil casts Amplify at the end of the turn.
  • Turn 7: Eternal Exodus. Ur-Devil moves onto the next phase. Ur-Devil casts Twilight's Gleam at the end of the turn.
If the first set of Ur-Eyes dies before Ur-Devil gets to summon the 2nd set, Ur-Devil will skip any end of turn actions he was about to perform and immediately skip to using Amplify. However, if Ur-Devil managed to summon the 2nd set, those must be killed off as well as the 1st set, in order to get Ur-Devil to charge up for Eternal Exodus early.

Ur-Devil now summons one Ur-Eye of every element here. So you remember the double Origin Bud phase from the Ur-Child fight, right? This is kind of similar. If you take too long to kill off the first set of Ur-Eyes, Ur-Devil will summon another set, which have to be killed off as well in order to get Ur-Devil to start using Eternal Exodus. However, unlike Ur-Child's double bud phase, killing off the first set of Ur-Eyes early causes Ur-Devil to skip straight to casting Eternal Exodus. So I'm on a soft time limit here.

Fortunately...

This party is capable of pulling that off.

Now in order for my plan to work, I need Knight to use Accelerate immediately.

I really need Chloe to stick the Arm bind on this turn, or things will get hairy.

I also need to use Summer Rain right away to soften up all the Ur-Eyes. I probably could have gotten away with using something else, but I'm not taking ANY chances this far into the fight.

Ur-Devil won't cast Darkness Shroud at all during this phase, so I don't have to worry about Knight's attack buff being erased. Instead, I'm gonna have Arianna set up a safety net for everyone in case something goes wrong. Again.

Not as much as the other times he used it, but it still stings a bit.

Unfortunately, I failed to land the Arm bind here, so I'll have to bust out Fairy's Robe next turn.

Ohhhh boy, this skill. So what Realm of Death does is that it places a very special environmental effect for 4 turns. While it's in effect, you cannot dispel any ailments, binds, or debuffs! Not only that, you can't revive any dead party members under any circumstances! Not even Medical Miracle will work against it! It's completely useless here! You thought the fight was unforgiving before? This skill makes it even more so. If I let the wrong person die while this is in effect, I'm hosed, plain and simple.

I plan on nuking all those Ur-Eyes with Akashic Nova.

Dance with Lunacy is coming out this turn, so I'll block it with Fairy's Robe. I'm not using Barrier just in case any Ur-Eyes survive to use Death's Glimmer. Like I said, I'm not taking any chances.

The other 3 will have to use the elemental walls to protect Knight and Chloe.

Okay good, the plan worked.

Okay I made it through that unscathed.

Not happening.

Okay, I'll be able to make it to the next phase. The problem is, that doesn't necessarily mean I can kill him.

Especially with everyone's TP running so low. I'll have to use Arianna's Force Break to alleviate that.

Okay, now I've made it into phase 7, which is the final phase in this fight.

Phase 7:
  • Turn 1: Sunlight's Dawn.
  • Turn 2: Shed Thy Tears. Targets the front row. Ur-Devil casts Strongman's Glory at the end of the turn.
  • Turn 3: My Sorrow, My Wrath, or Despise Solitude. Ur-Devil casts Realm of Death at the end of the turn.
  • Turn 4: My Wrath, My Mercy, Null Thy Strength, or Pity the Weak.
  • Turn 5: Shed Thy Tears. Targets the back row.
  • Turn 6: My Mercy, My Sorrow, Behold my Power, or Dance of Lunacy.
  • Turn 7: Null thy Strength, Pity the Weak, or Howling Winds.
  • Turn 8: Shed Thy Tears. Targets the front row. Ur-Devil casts Strongman's Glory at the end of the turn.
  • Turn 9: My Sorrow, My Wrath, or Despise Solitude. Ur-Devil casts Realm of Death at the end of the turn.
  • Turn 10: My Wrath, My Mercy, Null Thy Strength, or Pity the Weak.
  • Turn 11: Shed Thy Tears. Targets the back row.
  • Turn 12: My Mercy, My Sorrow, Behold my Power, or Dance of Lunacy.
  • Turn 13: Null thy Strength, Pity the Weak, or Howling Winds.
  • Turn 14: Shed Thy Tears. Targets the front row.
  • Turn 15: Despise Solitude or Value of Solitude.
  • Turn 16: Howling Winds. Ur-Devil casts Amplify at the end of the turn.
  • Turn 17 and beyond: Eternal Exodus. Ur-Devil casts Amplify at the end of the turn.
This is the final phase, and it has a time limit. If I don't kill Ur-Devil by turn 17 (or turn 18 if I still have Perfect Defense by then) I lose. Oh and you saw how much HP Ur-Devil had left before, right? I have to chew through around 130000 HP in only 17 turns! No pressure, right?

My party will get their Force back on this turn, so I'll just set up and deal whatever damage I can.

Oh, and Ur-Devil starts using Shed thy Tears again, so I have to perform the row truffle shuffle throughout this phase.

Shed thy Tears is hitting the front row, so I don't have much to worry about here.

Since I need to deal all the damage I can, I need to build Knight's Force back up first, so he can initiate back-to-back Transformations.

A relatively small mercy, but I'll take it.

Ehh, he's not at 150 Force, but whatever.

I really don't have much time to take him down, so I'm really hoping that Knight can put in some good work here.

Unfortunately, Ur-Devil has a couple of turns in this phase where he'll just perform a random action, and I can't really predict what he's going to do. So I'm gonna have Flavio Blind him yet again so I don't have to deal with those.

Now assuming that Flavio can't Blind Ur-Devil, I'm setting up a few safety nets and hope that he uses one of his elemental moves instead of Despise Solitude.

...Never mind. Looks like I had nothing to worry about!

Okay, I'm dealing an okay amount of damage here. The question is, will that be enough?

...I'm gonna be honest. I do not like the way this fight is going right now.

So I'm gonna turn on Flavio's Force Boost to get some extra damage in. Anything to help end the fight soon.

...I'm hosed, aren't I?

I'm just gonna take this opportunity to say that doing this fight without the Blind effect up food is utter hell. My first successful attempt involved making use of the +5 to all stats food, which meant that I had to use Dauntless Order to get through the turns that would pretty much kill my party. This fight is a massive, and I mean massive RNGfest without converting those kill turns into free turns. If I'm honestly making this fight look easy, play through this fight without using the Blind food, and get back to me.

Here we go again.

These are my sacrifices for this turn.

This is one of the few times I use Arianna's Force Boost with the intended effect. I want buffs on everyone without having to spend more turns than necessary.

Well hopefully Knight can dish out some serious damage in the upcoming turns.

All of Ur-Devil's skills he can cast on this turn can inflict binds and ailments, and I am NOT taking any chances of getting my party hit with disables again, no matter how small it is. I mean, take a look at that turn counter. 51 turns in and I'm still not done, or close to it! One little mistake could mean I lose all that progress. And because I'm so far in to this fight, I'm a lot more panicky because of the amount of pressure this fight places at this point.

Flavio isn't gonna get a chance to build his Force back up, so I'm using up his Force Break one last time.

Bertrand doing unimpressive damage with Shield Smite yet again.

...PFFFFTHAHAHA! I wasn't expecting that! Guess I don't have to worry about Dance with Lunacy after all!

4009 damage. Ehhh, well it's more than his usual damage output.

AHAHAHA! drat thing actually went for Dance with Lunacy here.

Won't have to worry about that for a while. Unfortunately, the Blind wore off as well.

I'm not blowing Akashic Nova just yet, since this phase is his longest one, and there's room for at least one more Transformation.

The chances of Blinding Ur-Devil at this point are either extremely small, or just flat out impossible. Still, I might as well try, since I really don't feel like playing with dice right now.

Buffing Knight's damage output here.

Okay, 16000 damage. That's decent I suppose. Hopefully another round of that will be enough to take him down.

...Oh boy, Flavio failed to land the Blind. This fight is going south real fast, again.

Fortunately, Ur-Devil decided not to go for Howling Winds here, and went for Pity the Weak instead. And that Arm Bind Bertrand landed saved me from having to deal with it.

I really have to wonder what the gently caress the developers were thinking with every single aspect of this fight.

Ending off Knight's Transformation for now.

I want to deal as much damage as possible, but I don't think Flavio will be able to land the Blind at this time. So I'll just get 3 free turns of damage for Chloe.

Okay, Flavio not landing the ailment is making me reeeaaaally nervous right now.

Unfortunately, Vampire's doesn't kick in with the Force Boost. You have to be hitting a target with an ailment for it to take effect.

Uhh, that's nice, I guess.

Knight doesn't have his Force Boost ready, but that doesn't matter right now.

On this turn, My Sorrow, My Wrath, or Despise Solitude is coming out, all of which can cause a game over at this point. So I'm restoring everyone's HP because War Heal All isn't gonna be enough. Also Fairy's Robe will at least prevent the binds from My Sorrow or My Wrath from landing if those do come out.

I'm not taking any chances with Knight's Force gauge. I want Transform available on the next turn. Besides, it's not like I'll use them for anything else.

I'm out of the danger zone for now.

Flavio, it would be really nice if you could land that Blind right about now!

Oh yeah, Fairy's Robe was the right call there.

War Heal All would not have been enough to let the front row survive that.

Especially with Realm of Death coming into effect next turn, ensuring that any survivors won't be able to revive any dead party members.

Here we go, the last time Knight Transforms in this fight!

Unfortunately, now that Chloe doesn't have her Force Boost, and Flavio is having a really hard time landing the Blind, she won't be able to do much from now on.

I'm gonna take my chances and hope that My Mercy comes out this turn.

Flavio, please.

My Mercy did come out here, but Flavio got hit twice, which would have killed him. Fortunately, Dauntless Order prevented him from outright dying, which would have prevented me from reviving him until Realm of Death wore off.

Yet another Shed thy Tears turn coming up.

Okay, a victory is looking possible here, but it's not really guaranteed. I only have 7 or 8 turns to shave all that HP off. I'm really cutting it close here.

FLAVIO, PLEASE! :bang:

Yeah yeah, do your worst. ...Wait.

OH loving HELL! I FORGOT UR-DEVIL WAS TARGETING THE BACK ROW THIS TURN!

At least Dauntless Order saved Chloe, but being forced to fight with only 4 party members is gonna sting for the next few turns.

Once again, using Barrier because all of Ur-Devil's skills he can cast this turn can inflict disables.

Oh phew, it was only just Dance with Lunacy.

Okay, I can revive Flavio next turn.

Okay, I only have 5 or 6 turns to take off all that HP, and I am not liking my chances of pulling that off.

Not gonna use Accelerate just yet, since I do plan on having Knight use Akashic Nova.

Gonna bring back Flavio.

The skills coming out this turn are Null thy Strength, Pity the Weak, or Howling Winds. Shed thy Tears is coming out next turn, so it's safe for me to use Sentinel Guard here. I'm hoping Howling Winds doesn't come out here, since I can't have Flavio redirect it with Chain Dance.

If Howling Winds DOES come out, I hope it targets Flavio, since War Revive will bring him back at the end of the turn.

Oh, never mind. It was just Null thy Strength.

Ech, that's actually not a lot of damage for Knight. I need to get that attack buff back on him as soon as possible.

And this is the final time Ur-Devil will use Shed thy Tears.

I only have 4 or 5 turns left, and I barely did any damage on my last turn. It's highly possible that I'm going to lose here.

Hopefully Knight's next Accelerate rampage will shave a bunch of that HP off, but who knows.

Okay, hopefully I can land the Blind because the very next turn is pretty much a coin flip that determines whether if I get a game over or not. See, next turn Ur-Devil will either use Value of Solitude, or Despise Solitude, both are moves that will kill the party if they don't have less than 5 living party members, or have 5 living party members. It really is a coin flip, and right at the end of the fight.

Reapplying Attack Order.

OH COME ON!

This time, I made sure NOT to screw up dealing with Shed thy Tears.

Well, here goes nothing.

That was around 22434 points of damage. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to kill Ur-Devil.

HOLY poo poo, FINALLY!

Also, talk about extremely lucky! If Flavio did not land that Blind, I would have gotten a game over right then and there since Value of Solitude came out.

Okay, while Knight's assault didn't kill Ur-Devil, it did take off a massive chunk of his HP. Even then, I still don't have a lot of time left to kill him.

I swapped Arianna to the front row so she could buff Flavio. ...Even though I could have just used her Force Boost to buff everyone. I wasn't really thinking straight at this point.

...Thanks for giving Flavio another opportunity to use Hazy Arrow! Idiot.

...I'm out of time.

This is gonna be down to the wire.

If I don't kill Ur-Devil this turn, it's all over. Everything up to this point will have been a complete waste of time.

Wait, did that just say what I think it just said!?

...HOLY poo poo! It's over, it's all over! Now... what would be the ultimate form of disrespect in this case? Ah, I've got it!

gg ez win

Ur-Devil doesn't drop anything, and you get absolutely nothing aside from the exp and any Grimoires you might have obtained during the fight on Picnic and Standard. On Expert... well, you'll see in a bit.

But as you lash out at the enemy with all your power, focus, and determination, it finally slumps to the ground! And with that, the deepest darkness of Yggdrasil melts and disappears without a trace...

drat straight. Now never ever put a boss like that in the series ever again, please.

We... W-We did it!
Yes! We have indeed won!
We're strong.

I want to go home and sleep...
Yeah, tell me about it... This old man wants to go back and sleep too. For at least... half a year.
That's... a lot of sleeping, old man... But I agree. We all need some rest. That was... exhausting.
I want to go back and eat until I'm full.
Geez, even now... I can't believe you can say that even after fighting against what we just beat...
Hm? I'm tired, so I'm going to eat. It's only natural.
I mean, that's true, but... nnnh. Nah, forget it. Too tired to argue. Just want to hurry back and get some rest.
*giggle* I suppose it can't be helped. It was truly a force to be reckoned with.
Well done to you too, Sir Knight.

“We we”? I suppose some things never change, even in the DLC.

Let's be honest, both Arianna and Knight carried that fight. Arianna especially with all those Dauntless Order procs.

Thank you, Arianna.
No, Sir Knight, the honor is yours.
You guys are gonna get caught in an endless thank loop. C'mon.
That would be fun to watch too.

Now if you beat the fight while playing on Picnic or Standard, the conversation would start to end here. But since I beat Ur-Devil on Expert, there's a bit more to this scene.

However, as you chat amongst yourselves, Flavio calls out, looking back to the site of your perilous battle.

Hey, Knight. Take a look at this.

Flavio indicates the point where the horrific monster once stood, and to your surprise, you see a sword in the ground.

It is... a sword.
Why is it here?
What, someone lose it...? Yeah, right, like that's possible...
Was this... here even before we started fighting?
Hm... To be honest, I was so focused on the fight that I do not recall...
I don't know either.

As the others discuss its origin, you quietly move over to take a look--admittedly something of a sword connoisseur by now. Its blade gleams in the light, and it appears sharp enough to cut through any known material... Even setting your hand to its hilt makes you feel a sudden surge of power. You try pulling the sword from the ground, and feel even more strength coursing through you. You have no idea where this sword came from, but it clearly houses immense power within...

Wow, that sword is pretty.
Indeed. I daresay it suits you, Sir Knight.
Then, we'll take that home as our prize. Okay?
Well, I... guess it's okay...? I can't exactly think straight right now, but... I don't think it'd be a problem...

If you weren't playing on Expert, that whole portion of the scene is skipped, and just goes straight to this point.

Well then. Now that we've accomplished our goal, let us return. I am sure our requester will be overjoyed.

Before we do that, let's take a look at our shiny new sword.

:stare: That's quite the prize. Though given that Ur-Devil pretty much needs an optimized party to beat, it's pretty much just for bragging rights. Still, it serves as cold hard proof I suffered through that fight on Expert. Also, I listed what was in my inventory before I started the fight, which consisted of this:

quote:

• 6 Medica IVs
  • 18 Amrita IIs
  • 3 Soma Primes
  • 17 Nectar IIs
  • 5 Therica As
  • 5 Therica Bs
  • 6 Axcelas

Now it's:
  • 4 Medica IVs
  • 8 Amrita IIs
  • 3 Soma Primes
  • 13 Nectar IIs
  • 5 Therica As
  • 3 Therica Bs
Out of 60 items, I ended up using 22. Most of it was for safety nets, but thankfully all those Dauntless Order procs prevented me from having to use up even more Nectar IIs.

Fade to black.

But to think you would actually manage to slay it, as well...! Truly, I do not know how to thank you...

Your feelings alone are enough.
Perhaps... saying such things with ease is a part of what makes you all strong. On behalf of the Duchy of High Lagaard, I must express my gratitude to you for aiding us in this grand task.

Oh, no... We are glad to be able to work for the sake of High Lagaard as well.
Right! If someone's in trouble, we give them a hand! That's just how it works!
Geez. Trying to sound all cool in front the lady, eh...? He's right, though.
I had fun going on a new adventure, too.

At no point during that overcomplicated mountain of failure conditions did I consider it FUN.

Let's never do that again.
My... It sounds like it was quite the ordeal, then. However, it is thanks to you that High Lagaard's future is safe... once more. I do not know if it can ever be enough, but please accept your reward for your efforts at the bar. And please... rest well, and prepare yourselves for a new journey. So, members of Guild Guild... Until we meet again...

Eh? Yeh fought the most powerful monster yeh've ever encountered... and yeh came out alive? ...Every time, yeh always do incredible work, and it always seems like yeh hardly broke a sweat... And yeh always just look... unfazed. By anythin'. Guess I really don't have to worry about yeh lot, huh... Welp, guess all I gotta do is give yeh the hardest requests I can get! Just keep comin' back with all yer wild tales of adventure, monsters, and all yer treasure! Haw haw haw haw haw! Here, this is yer reward. Come back next time!

Well that reward sucks. Oh well, I wonder how much that sword sells for.

...You know what, I think I'll just keep it.

And with that, I am done with Story mode in EO2U. I've off shown everything it has to offer. So with all that out of the way...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well done. :golfclap:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That looked genuinely unfun and terribly made, like a challenge made just for the sake of angering the player.

It's the single most Atlus thing I've seen in this Atlus series, is what I'm trying to say.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Blaze Dragon posted:

That looked genuinely unfun and terribly made, like a challenge made just for the sake of angering the player.

It IS unfun and terribly made, and it's one of two bosses in the EO series that I have yet to beat in any playthrough (the other being Abyssal God).

Speaking of bad bosses, I plan to have Ur-Child (and by extension, the end) up within a few hours. Before then, though, I'd like to ask that people post enough to move the thread to a new page, so the final updates doesn't get buried down here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

:staredog:

Good job, Fetus.

• Locked thread