Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Name: Katarina
Class: Alchemist, portrait 4

Sharp as a tack and twice as prickly, Katarina does not make friends easily. A gifted Alchemist who constantly seeks new ways to apply the standard formulas , Katarina came to the Labyrinth to test her mettle - and her experiments - against the foes (and FOEs) it has to offer. Looking for a group that will meatshield for her and will let her get on with the important stuff. Confident, proud, and not a little reckless, but with results to show for it. Fiercely loyal to the few friends she has, and occasionally in weaker moments worries about ever finding anyone else. Likes the color green, sweet fruit, and summertime. Dislikes birds, loud music, and winter.

ground floor god drat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Huh. Until the portrait now, I never noticed that one hair sticking out on Abigail. :3:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Issen is pretty absurd. I think it has like a 100% proc rate on the Instant Kill as long as the Ronin's LUC isn't too low, and enemies aren't resistant to it.
Issen is a great trash mob/add clearer, unreliable against FOEs, and useless against bosses. Which, honestly, describes most of the offensive Force Breaks...which, unfortunately, runs a bit counter to the whole idea of "one big boom you can only pull out once" - those are the kinds of things usually saved for bosses etc. Just using the Force Boosts tends to be waaaaay more effective against bosses.

e: also yeah it was a throwaway line but saving on the cart takes a good ten seconds or so for some reason, while saving to the SD card is almost instant. It's nice to have multiple save files so I don't have to keep overwriting each of my SCCs when I want to play again.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

I like the new Force system. It's far better handled than Force in the original game. (Oh hello there endless stuns, eternal bind lockdown, and the party taking absolutely no damage for the entire battle.)
Yeah, the game is way better now that you can't just chug Axcela IIs and wear everything down.

theshim
May 1, 2012

alcharagia posted:

NO MORE GAMES
original character

do not steal

theshim
May 1, 2012

Minorest of quibbles, but I thought Tramonte was a dude?

Also FOEbucks is too appropriate.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

Near as I can tell, their gender isn't explicitly stated, they just have a lady they like.

You homophobe. :colbert:
Huh. Shows what I know. I thought I remembered later on one of the other NPCs mentioning Tramonte as a dude. :shrug:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

That's a screwup on my part then!
Hey, I could be misremembering anyway! :v:

alcharagia posted:

: AH, AH, DUUUDE LOOKS LIKE A LADY
:frogout:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

EDIT: Gah, wrong EO thread!
Ahh, the wonderful dangers of EO Appreciation Season :allears:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Milly, Sophie, Nadia

:gibs:

theshim
May 1, 2012

There's a fun thing you can do with the third tea that I'm sure you'll show off. That thing is mad busted. (It would really help these SCCs if I bought the grinding DLCs, but they just feel cheaty :v:)

theshim
May 1, 2012

Hivac posted:

the only thing causing you to overgrind is yourself
:smith:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ursa, Stardust, Realga

Anecdotal, but on my Gunner SCC, Supreme Bolt never failed to stun anything that wasn't actually immune to stun.

theshim
May 1, 2012

If you don't start jamming out to Reach Out for the Truth at some point I shall be very disappointed :colbert:

theshim
May 1, 2012

No
More
Games

theshim
May 1, 2012

Hivac posted:

Alternatively you can hate yourself like me and subject yourself to 5 survivalist gathering runs until your fingers bleed
ah yes, "gathering" runs

theshim
May 1, 2012

The chaser scales up with level to eventually deal very respectable damage, but is fairly unimpressive for a while.

The most annoying thing for me about Scapegoat is that it doesn't get up to 4 covers unless you are lucky enough for it to be level 20, so an all-target attack will still hit at least one party member. Combining Scapegoat and Chain Dance made my dodgetank insanely effective in the Survivalist SCC, but their damage output is still just woefully low and the TP costs eat through their dinky little pools way too quickly (at which point everyone dies).

theshim
May 1, 2012

Oh, don't be such a baby. Ribs grow back!

No they don't.

?

theshim
May 1, 2012

That was a wonderful update. :allears:

theshim
May 1, 2012

It varies, which is irritating. Sometimes opening the door is instant fight, and sometimes you get to navigate.

Also the music link there is a pro click.

Heh...sporalysis.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I mean, just going from the more recent games:

EO3: Narmer is the only one where opening the door doesn't lead into the fight.
EO4: Berserker King, Boiling Lizard, and Cursed Prince all let you move, while the Hollow Queen and Cradle Guardian engage upon opening.
EOU: Fenrir and Iwaoropenelep allow moving, but Cernnunos, Corotrangul, and Etreant engage immediately.

EOU2 has a similar mix of instant fight vs time to move around (without spoiling anything, it's five to five). It's notable that those bosses that let you still move are generally the ones with environment gimmicks, while regular boss fights just stick you right into them.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

EO2 is kind of an exception in that there's only one boss (two if you count the post-game) that you engage immediately upon going in. EO2U changed things up though, as EO2 did not have Ginnungagap or the environment puzzles at all. All it really had were those Bell items you could use to move FOEs around, and those got taken out in this game.
Now, now. You could also take bosses out entirely, after all :unsmigghh:

Dr. Fetus posted:

EO3 had more. There was Gatekeeper (Only on the Armoroad path. If you were on the Deep City path, you engaged it immediately.) And then there was Kirin and Shin. Granted you don't actually get to see them in the room until its time to fight.
Huh. I thought I remembered Gatekeeper being an immediate fight on both routes - same for Kirin/Shin.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh and before I forget, what kind of person do you think our protagonist is? A serious and upstanding person? Or the complete opposite of that?
Knight is an absolute troll who lives to screw with everything up to and including Yggdrasil itself.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Stella Glow. Recently released Atlus game that plays like Fire Emblem. It's pretty fun, though some of the female designs suffer from :japan:.
I was going to look this up because I am a loving junkie for SRPGs but

Ragnar Homsar posted:

"oh it can't be that bad, certainly can't be as bad as female troubadors/gladiators/dancers"

<actually googles the character>

"oh"
:sigh: goddamnit

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Why the interest in the transformation?

...W-Wait, that's it?
That's it.

Dr. Fetus posted:

That's enough about us, alright? Mutual understanding, the power of friendship, blah blah, the end. Now that that's done, let's go look for the guard that's supposed to be somewhere in the Labyrinth.
So yeah, Chloe and Bertrand are pretty great. :allears:

Cafe, obviously.

theshim
May 1, 2012

> You begin to suspect the Salamander's lair is a portal to the Meat Dimension...

theshim
May 1, 2012

Jovial March is kind of like a mass Transfer - uses up a huge chunk of the Troubadour's TP but restores some to everyone else. The problem is that they don't have Cursecut, so it's at best a super inefficient way of making Amrita's kind of affect everyone out of battles or blehhhhhhhhhhhh.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I've ranted extensively about Flame Demon in particular in the megathread (especially how hard she can block SCCs) so I'll spare you guys the rehash, but :argh: :argh: :argh:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Hivac posted:

in any other EO game this could be workable, in eo2u it is literally "have antifire or die" outside of ridiculous cheese tactics that require lv20 skills
Well, no, it isn't, but it's way too goddamn close.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Supremezero posted:

5gunners, 5survivalists was probably possible, but I forget if he actually got it done, 5goddamnmedics...
Survivalists have the problem where they don't do any loving damage. They're actually incredibly effective dodgetanks with all the buffs layered on, but it requires constant use of Scapegoat to actually be effective, and you run out of TP way, way, way before you can kill her.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Yeah, it turns out that Vital Hit is actually kinda batshit if you can sustain Overheals :getin:

I guess I should vote, huh? Howzabout Phoebe, Sophie, Milly and Stardust.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I applaud your dunking skill.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Living in central California, which is largely just barely above sea level, I've never had a snow day in my normal life, so I'm something of a sucker for snow environments in video games. I really like the Frozen Ground's visual design, and its music is pretty great too.
Whatup California buddy :hfive: Grew up in LA, we had to drive a few hours to see snow. These days I'm trapped in the hellhole known as New York. please send help Oddly, I like the original DS version more than the arrange for the stratum theme, but it's still really good either way.

Gonna say Zack, Asriel, Jackie and Ranger

theshim
May 1, 2012

Nadia, Jackie, Asriel, Rheine

theshim
May 1, 2012

Those Evil Eyes used to be regular encounters from the first stratum.

And they would get guaranteed blindsides and gently caress your poo poo up.

gently caress those guys.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm pretty sure that last hedgehog event is meant to be a way to make sure you know about Force Breaks.
It's kind of a shame that Force Breaks pretty much nullify ambushes. It takes a lot of the sting out of things like this. I feel oddly nostalgic for events like picking the wrong door for the last part of the puzzle in EO4's 5th stratum :unsmigghh:

theshim
May 1, 2012

siotle posted:

Once you drag Chimera into all the holes, though, I'm pretty sure he stops moving period. I used that to take out all of the bats ahead of time instead of risking them joining mid-fight.
I drag Chimera around, kill the bats, and then leave and come back so I can still get the two free turns.

Chimera's mildly irritating, but thankfully no more than that.

theshim
May 1, 2012

The Story party is actually in a pretty good place for that fight simply because you have a Sovereign and a Protector. You still need to time everything right, but it's doable.

Without them...that fight can be a real roadblock. You absolutely need a way to either burst them down or block the damage, there is no surviving their Force Breaks. (For some of the SCCs they're nearly unbeatable without a massive level disparity, and I think they'd be just about impossible for a solo run.)

theshim
May 1, 2012

Junpei posted:

I wondered...
If Hexers help make Dark Hunters and War Magi really awesome, would all three in the same party be semi-gamebreaking?
Because from what I've heard, outside of Fafnir, this game is the second best EO game in terms of balance (behind 4, obviously).
The thing is, the two classes are kind of at cross purposes. Dark Hunters are strongest when using Ecstasy on fully bound targets, while War Magi get their huge boosts against targets with ailments. DHs can bomb ailment targets with Soul Liberator, but then that removes the ailment, cutting the legs out from the WM. The Hexer can work together with the DH (and technically the WM, lolrandomdisease) to maximize the amount of incapacitation, but it's not as strong as it might seem.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Yep. Flame Demon does the same thing with Kingly Fire--if you stun her on the turn she's supposed to use it, she'll just try to cast it on the next turn.
It's worth noting that she won't do this if leg bound, only if stunned.

In other words, gently caress you for having a Gunner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Realga, Sophie, Stardust, and Tyler

Getting past Scylla basically means the rest of the run is smooth sailing, which is great, particularly because of one thing on this floor (if you don't have a certain DLC, that is).

• Locked thread