Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Shortcuts are also dynamic icons, aren't they? They light up when the path is opened. I thought that was introduced in EOU, but maybe I'm misremembering. One problem with this system though is that the game doesn't really draw attention to the fact that there's an appropriate icon. Personally, I never noticed that the pit traps had an icon (I thought it was a wall or something) and just marked them with Xs. Likewise, if you're in the habit of using the clovers instead of the treasure boxes, you won't get the indicator of whether they've been opened already (although this rarely matters).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Aerdan posted:

Given that pretty much every 3DS game saves to the SD card (AFAIK), it wouldn't have made sense for Atlus's 3DS titles to not do the same.

Well, I guess it didn't make sense then because it took them three games to do it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Jackie, Nadia, Realga.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Supremezero posted:

Where do LPers even pull these numbers from, anyway. I hope it's not ridiculous amounts of testing.

From the way they only have the values for certain levels, it's almost certainly testing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I never bothered with an entire separate party and just used Grimoires to equip the gathering skills when I wanted them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Chasers also work well with Flank Shot to decimate random encounters without going all out and breaking your gauge with Summer Rain.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

AmewTheFox posted:

Seconding Guild

Also, isn't it funny how well the hero takes this? Just after five seconds of looking kinda scared, it's just "eh, whatever". The party gets over it really fast.

Well, they correctly chalk it up to be part of the mysterious ritual they're doing, so there's not much point in dwelling on it.

Also, Guild, which is ironically what I named my guild in this game too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Cafe

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Drop quests were miserable in EO5 until I installed the DLC that gives an accessory that is basically a permanent drop tea that also boosts the holder's LUC.

It's kind of nice.

Really? I never really had any problems with them. The ones that want rare materials from mining/chopping annoy me more, although generally those have scaling rewards for not having the rare ones.

I did have 3 people with the Anatomy skill though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

There's... another reason they're described as submerged in luxury. I didn't even know what it was when I translated that name. We'll likely have to deal with things like that on a case by case basis.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

AweStriker posted:

Voice: uh... what are the options?

There's a big list of them on the test post here: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=145538

The first 20 are male, the second 20 are female (although you can choose male voices for female portraits, and vice versa). There's a link on that page with sound samples, but you'd have to keep count to match them up.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Frankly I'm not even sure if I should mention this, but reading all these character suggestions makes me wonder about how they'd fit into the setting of the world. I see a lot of profiles that talk about growing up in "the city" or whatever, and I just have to wonder how they got there. I mean, the city of Aeolis isn't a central metropolis or anything, it's a relatively small town that's currently undergoing a huge gold rush style boom now that exploration is legal. Basically none of the characters you meet were born there: they're all immigrants from all over the continent. Each race other than Earthrun also comes from a very specific culture, and it's implied that there's not normally all that much cross-pollination between the races. Like, Therians are from a Spartan culture where each child is trained to use a weapon from a young age, and to hunt for their own survival. Lunarians simply want to unlock the secrets of the universe, which maybe other people think is dabbling in things man was not meant to know. Brownies live in harmony with nature, but are also known for being especially materialistic and greedy. These three different cultures are basically at the center of why people want to explore Yggdrasil: for glory, knowledge, or treasure.

Not that anyone should feel obligated to stick close to that when making a character. Those are just the stereotypes, and even the game takes pleasure in subverting them. But the interactions of the four races is sort of a big thematic point of the game. Not everyone gets along with everyone else at first, and this melting pot they find themselves in is a bit of a novelty. It's just... an interesting time for an explorer to find themselves in. I say this not to limit your creativity, but maybe to give you a launching point. That's the hope anyway.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 29, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Does Force return in EP5? I really like that system, but it sounds like it doesnt

No. You get Union Skills instead.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

vdate posted:

It's a shame. I thought it was a fantastic system too, since unlike the 'throw it on anybody' Limit skills, every Force Boost/Break is at least uniquely tied into the schtick of the class that uses it. Not that they're necessarily all GOOD, mind you, but at least they're designed to play in a fun way with the class they're stapled to.

While not quite as uniquely tailored to the classes as Force skills, Union Skills in EO5 aren't just "throw it on anybody", since they're tied to the different races. Each character has a racial skill tree in addition to their class skill tree, and you learn Union skills there. Which means that, assuming you aren't doing weird and probably bad things with class change, your Warlocks/Necromancers and going to have completely different Unions from your Hounds/Masurao, etc. Personally, I played without either of the Brownie classes, which meant I didn't have access to their Unions, which changed how I could deal with things significantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I get the feeling that the later food conversations weren't proofread as thoroughly as other things in this game. Typos are one thing, but some of the lines also seemed just a bit awkward to me.

• Locked thread