Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Is the Grimoire stones mechanic in classic as well as story? Ditto for that cooking/diner place mechanic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I understand why people think Fafnir is the main damage dealer in EO2U, but I can't say the same for EOU's Highlander. Arthur and Fredrica are good sources of damage too, right?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Niflheim. Because more Norse mythology.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Supremezero posted:

Update 4.9, AKA "Lumen and Quona's Excellent Adventure"

Can't wait for Lumen and Quona's Bogus Journey!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Tyler, Milly and Realga.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I watched a let's play of this game on YouTube, and the transformed Fafnir has a different sprite. Does it change over the course of story mode?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yes. His original state looks like a demonic version of his human self, then he gets the version in this LP before the fourth Stratum.

SO BADASS!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
One thing I like about the Untold Story mode is that the different characters have different lines to say when attacking, using certain skills, using items, etc. Really helps establish personalities without using up 20 lines of dialogue to say what a few in-battle lines can say in five words or less. You agree?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Tyler, Sophie, Rheine.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I wondered...
If Hexers help make Dark Hunters and War Magi really awesome, would all three in the same party be semi-gamebreaking?
Because from what I've heard, outside of Fafnir, this game is the second best EO game in terms of balance (behind 4, obviously).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Crosspeice posted:

Haha, yeah, I'm loving Ranger.

I'm... ambivalent about him. Ragnar the Bloodedge seems to be writing him like:

: Derp! I'm random and weird! Because random and weird is funny! I get pissed off easily! I have a demonic superpower that gives me amnesia!

Junpei fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 14, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

alcharagia posted:

It's a classic Junpei Non-JokeTM by juxtaposing the OP's username with Ragna the Bloodedge, protagonist of the BlazBlue series.
*ding ding ding*
We have a winner, ladies and gentlemen! Hats off to this poster!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Look, I can understand why you don't like Ranger. I will admit the hat thing was a little shaky, but it was a friend's idea and I liked it enough that I wanted to put it in even if Ranger wasn't in the party. But please, don't just make non-sequitur "jokes" for the sake of them.

It's good. I will admit that Demon Ranger is badass (and, in my head, Yuuki Terumi levels of hammy). It's just...
Random does not equal funny.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Future-proofing. The moment they make EO3U or EO4U, they'll have the lines already in the game, and therefore they'll have less effort at that time. See, it's genius, not laziness. it's absolutely laziness

I can't tell if that is the smartest or dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Wait, no. I exist, so it's the smartest.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Milly, Ranger, Stardust, Phoebe.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Freyja, Sophie, Phoebe and Asriel.

I've wondered: What exactly is the meaning of the small phrases that appear when you enter a floor?
You know, "The king's roar sounds", and stuff like that. Why are they there?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

theshim posted:

They're the names of the floors and a little idea of what you can expect on them. I like 'em.

Yeah, they're sorta poetic. I wonder if anyone has a list of all the floor names in the series?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, found the original EO's floor names.
F1: The first hope-filled step
F2: The verdant in-between
F3: Marble orchard of soldiers
F4: The depth's black teeth
F5: Staring down the roar (Fenrir fought)
F6: Dance of the fairies (Stratum 2)
F7: Trail of enduring pain
F8: The wyvern's nest
F9: A labyrinth for monsters
F10: The forest's silent king (Cernunos fought)
F11: A mysterious cerulean wood (Stratum 3)
F12: The insect queen's palace
F13: The soldier's washbasin
F14: The flood of God's tear
F15: Lord of the celestial ocean (Cotrangl fought)
F16: The pathless drifting sand (Stratum 4)
F17: Doorway into the unknown
F18: Nature's boundless horizon
F19: An excursion into despair
F20: Gold wings for the pilgrims (Iwaopeln fought)
F21: A bounty of relics (Lost Shinjuku started, player's mind blown)
F22: The steel rendezvous
F23: Ghost town out of granted dreams
F24: Road of inner sorrow
F25: Moment of epiphany (Etreant fought)
F26: Beyond the gods' sight (postgame stratum)
F27: All that lives shall succumb
F28: Explorer's abbatior
F29: Half-mad from self-doubt
F30: The sentinel of eternity

Junpei fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 17, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Crosspeice posted:

They're the same for the remake too, so quick check and B18F is Nature's Boundless Horizon

Thanks. Edited that in.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, the original EO2 had:
F1: An invitation upward
F2: Hazardous habitat
F3: Field of mortal peril
F4: A soaring shadow above
F5: The king's roar sounds
F6: Vale of hidden threats
F7: The balance of pain and fear
F8: Fire-cloaked demons den
F9: The unopened crimson jaws
F10: The hellion's domain
F11: A trap of ice and sorrow
F12: Daunting frozen path
F13: The heart's Gordian knot
F14: Allure of the ice princess
F15: Gateway to sorrow

Junpei fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 18, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Even without boss names, that is spoilery. Please edit that out.

I spoilered the floors we haven't been to yet.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I did not say spoiler tag them, I said edit them out. Please.

Done. Sorry for misinterpreting your instructions, sir.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Found 2 games you might you might be interested in.

The first is Class of Heroes. It's a lot like Etrian Odyssey: Make a group of adventurers with different classes, explore (randomly generated, so that's new) dungeons, make new equipment out of random drops. It has a race system, like Wizardy or the Exile trilogy, though. Different races have unique skills and stat spreads, and they have "affinity" with other races. If two character's races like each other, they get a stat boost while in the same party. If they don't like each other, they get a debuff. But this can be overcome by having them spend time in the same party, which can negate and even reverse negative affinity. It's an interesting game, and worth playing. It's on the PSP

Demon Gaze is my other game, and it's a lot like a hybrid of EO Classic mode and Story mode. Predefined, unique protagonist with unique powers, but recruitable allies with set classes and-get this- races, just like Class of Heroes! There's a story focus, but the main character (Default name Oz) has dialogue choices. Again, assemble team, explore dungeons, bring back loot. Oz's unique power (summoning demon bosses to fight for you) certainly adds a twist to the classic gameplay, and it has a great twist near the end. It's on the PS Vita, though.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Time to prove my worth!

Junpei's Guide to Etrian Mythology

In these updates, I, Junpei, will explain some of the names of places, bosses, items, and other such things in EO. Let's start off with a few obvious choices.

Q: What's a Yggdrasil Labyrinth?
A: First, it's a where, not a what. In Norse myth, Yggdrasil is the world tree that all of the worlds are connected too. Here, in EO, it makes sense, as the Labyrinth of 2 is actually a gigantic tree.

Q: What's Ginnungagap?
A: Ginnungagap also takes it's name from a Norse source. Ginnungagap is the name of the world in the beginning, in the Norse creation myth. It was a large void in-between Muspellheimr, a fire realm, and Niflheimr, an ice world.

Q: What's Gladsheim?
A: Gladsheim, which was Ginnungagap's equivalent in EOU1, is the name of the realm where Odin, head god, put his seat in the halls of Valhalla.

Q: What's a Fafnir Knight?
A: This one's a doozy. To shorten a large myth, Fafnir was a man/dwarf, depending on source, who became enraptured by cursed gold. His jealousy and greed became so strong, he killed his own father and used magic to turn himself into a dragon to guard it. He was slain by the hero Sigurd by having his heart stabbed with the sword Gram.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Does the Staff Mastery TP bonus work on Grimoires?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Is it just me, or does Story Mode Fafnir have a lot more idiotic dialogue choices than EOU Story Mode Highlander?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

alcharagia posted:

phaphnir has a personality, yes. it's a vast improvement

Yeah, he has a personality. A sometimes kooky, weird, and stupid personality, but one nonetheless.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Highlander's options were "Generic anime hero answer" and "Out of character rear end in a top hat answer that no one will ever hold against him".

Compared to that, Fafnir is a breath of fresh air.

Huh. I vague remember a few "Sarcastic quip" lines.

And all I'm saying is that Fafnir = Occasionally Weird and Quirky.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Tyler, Colette, Milly and Jackie.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Nope, the story mode encounter plays out pretty much the same. It really is just there for the sake of being an EOU reference--and catching cowardly players off guard, since backing away causes a blindside. :v:

Edit: Nevermind, spoilers.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 28, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Red haired girl? Time travel? A guy who gives things wierd names?

I cannot literally believe you referenced Steins;Gate of all the things you could have referenced. I am in shock.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm going to try and predict where Armoroad and Tharsis are in the real world, going by climate and location.

Armoroad: Warm, on the sea. Going by this, basically gives us nothing. My top choices would have to be either rogue Californian coast, a Caribbean island, or Greece.

Tharsis is a bit trickier, but my gut says either somewhere in China, or possibly the Great Plains of America (Somewhere near Colorado or Wyoming).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Whoops, my bad, just piggybacking on what Ragnar said about Etrian being in Shinjuku and Laagard being in Russia.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
And now you referenced FE: Fates. I will concede with Realga and Stardust: The Babyrealms was a stupid idea. I liked Awakening's "stop apocalyptic future" justification because it made the children have real good quirks. Inigo's line in his B Support with his father is a good example: "I had to fight every day of my goddamn life and wear a smile through it all!"

Eh, anyone else feel like going to the FE thread and talking?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

8_Escape posted:

As amusing as sending you against a superboss with a party of dead-weight and Grimoires would be I support locking in the pseudo-required characters.

Seconded.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Sorry I'm late, but thanks for doing all this. You're a great person for sticking through all of this.

"Pats back of computer to simulate patting Ragnar on the back"

Good job. And good luck with the postgame, you're gonna need it!

And for this celebration:

Junpoll(s) of the day

Which character do you think Ragnar wrote the best?

As for me, I liked the way you write Collete. When this gets archived, I'm going to compile a list of how many games and anime you referenced.

And...

Which game would you like to LP after this, Ragnar?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Just flipped a coin, you're doing 4.

Just kidding, your choice.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Sweet new portrait, dude!
That behind the scenes stuff seems interesting, too. I feel that EO lends itself to a more humorous tone, but someone doing a more dramatic narative would seem interesting.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Colette, Tyler, Ursa, Asriel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I re-read the Alchemist skill guide, and I had an idea:

Could a Palm skill force Riot Formula to be a certain damage type? If you've tested this, tell us. If not, try it out!

• Locked thread