Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
OP needs Signal for SMS/MMS (And a warning that if you stop using it you must shutdown your account cleanly), and Inbox is going away if I recall correctly.

Is there such a thing as an app which will turn my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Active) into the equivalent of my standalone Garmin? Basically, Not A Sketchy "Free" App, one time fee for the application - even a large dollar amount. The phone has ANT+ and GPS but all of the apps I'm seeing seem to be monthly subscriptions which I loathe in the most :goonsay: way possible. (Yes, $25/year Strava annoys me.)

I'm looking for something which will allow me to track exercising both on my real live bicycle and at the gym, including my heart rate monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I am looking for an app to convert my Samsung S7 Active into a baby monitor for local use. I am hoping to get a generic stream I can hook into our existing ipad/android IP Camera apps. I technically only need audio, just need to know if a child is screaming bloody murder while we're out in our detached hobby room. One of the children, age 3, has destroyed 2 baby monitors left in his room. I tried some random app and it drained the battery faster than it would charge and ran S L O Wly. It will not have access to the internet, just our LAN so no cloud bullshit need apply.

Paid is fine.

Also: Can the OP be edited to remove LastPass? They are not a great company.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

I've been playing with Firefox on my phone once again and the one thing that I am missing is being able to swipe down to get the page to refresh. It's something I do a lot in Chrome. Is there a setting I'm missing or an add-on I could get?

Firefox nightly has pull to refresh in settings - customize.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gromit posted:

Is there a very lightweight shopping list app? I currently use Check Off, but it takes a few steps to remove an entry from the list, rather than just one press or swipe. I don't want any bells or whistles, just a simple list that maximises screen space and lets me quickly add and remove/reorder entries. No cloud integration, fancy pictures or clever reminders.

Maybe even a todo list would work? But those I've seen have lots of reminders, deadlines etc and take up lots of screen space.

Anylist is great and well worth it. We use their paid family plan for 2 years now.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

Ok so now gmail opens links in a built in browser too. That's like the third app I've come across in the past year that thinks this is a desirable feature worth adding somehow. Sure you can turn this one off, I just don't get the trend. Who benefits?

And it's not showing this powered by anymore?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tiny Myers posted:

I'm looking for a good to-do list or notes app that works with a homescreen widget. Extremely little friction if possible, like tap, write something, hit okay.

Anylist does this. You can either have it display a list and it has a + sign or a list of lists with their own +add item buttons. The only drawback is that it opens the app to add the item but it is to a focused entry box with OK as the one tap action. Super simple. Crossing off items happens in the widget.

Syncs between users, active development, developer is adding new features all the time. We don't use most of them.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
What are people replacing signal with? I used it for SMS and since they are deleting that killer feature I'm done with it. I don't really trust or like the Samsung default sms app.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
They're yanking sms support.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
And going to messages seems like letting them win, given one of their stated reasons is crying about messages supporting some proprietary protocol.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Pocketcast is great. Subscribed to 5-4 premium on it. It works. I don't use any of the widgets or voice command stuff though so who knows. I haven't updated it in like a year or two though because who cares if it works?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.shiftyjelly.pocketcasts

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
And it has a bunch of solid rules and stuff for adding episodes, alerting, etc. It's never made me mad at it for like nagging or notifications or anything. Episode management isn't at all unwieldy I don't know what the op is smoking but maybe it was years ago.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Looks like gadgetbridge is your only hope, but a pixel watch is going to insist on shipping the data to google first and foremost. Only wear it while exercising if it's important to you?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

1) Are there any that tie into Facebook Messenger so I can use their system without putting their actual Messenger app on my phone? I have an account to communicate with a few people who still use that as their primary social media, but I haaaaate their app. It would be useful to be able to message those folks on the go. Right now I only do so when at an actual computer.

lol no. Facebook really insists you use their apps. It's really hard to even get it on a mobile browser these days through selecting the desktop device.

Signal is great but their hamfisted removal of SMS makes it less attractive.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Signal is a way easier to use texting app. Just put it in the same spot as their regular texting app and they will never know.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

liquidplumr posted:

I'm a big fan of Buzzkill, Does everything mentioned here plus I love the cool down for keeping an active group chat from dinging your phone every 2 seconds.

Way easier and absolutely foolproof method is to just disable notification sounds. Uses less battery, no sketchy app, etc.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
The default samsung s20 texting app is so terrible. Long mms's are locked behind a "show full text" click which brings you to a dedicated screen where you have to click back to continue reading the thread. loving signal.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Gmail doesn't give notifications for incoming mails with certain labels. Is there a different Mail client that's worth trying? Single payment is fine but I'm not looking for a subscription. It should also support outlook as I have an address there as well.

Nine is great for outlook. One time payment. It's everything the Microsoft Outlook mobile client should be and doesn't require MDM permission to your device.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ninefolders.hd3&hl=en_US&gl=US

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

My wife and I have a shared note in Google Keep for various reminders and such, but it seems that Keep doesn't send a notification when said note is updated.

Is there a setting I'm missing, or should we use another app (and if so, which one)?

I don't know exactly what you're doing but have you considered using calendars for this instead? They're made to do basically that same thing.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
What do the kids use for m4b audiobooks? I want basic ability to have know it's playing a book, chapters, skip forward/backwards, remember my position, basically be a podcast app but audiobooks.

Paid is fine or even preferred assuming it's not an annual/monthly subscription.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

dihaploidy posted:

Smart Audiobook Player should fit your needs. I've used it for a range of different audio files and it's handled them all fine so far.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ak.alizandro.smartaudiobookplayer&hl=en&gl=US

Seems to work, thanks. Extremely basic which is fine enough for me. Kind of funny that it doesn't use id3 metadata to sort things but tells you to sort them yourself into folders. It does detect the chapters in this m4b which is nice though. No cover art etc. (vlc shows all that but doesn't handle books well. It does show the chapters.)

Incessant Excess posted:

Kinda niche but if you have a NAS or server then audiobookshelf is kind of a Plex for audiobooks, works pretty well even for people who are not very tech savvy.

I do, does this work remotely assuming I'm not insane and don't expose plex to the internet? Is there an iphone client as well? My wife would benefit from it as well.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

hark posted:

is wireguard not sufficient for accessing your server stuff from outside your network?

Can I turn in my nerd card and tell you I've never gotten wireguard to work? :ohdear:

Incessant Excess posted:

There is an iOS app but if you're very security minded, this is probably not for you.

Fair enough, if it doesn't have an offline play mode this doesn't help me. Thanks. Basically if it had a functional sync (lol plex + sync + 15 years or whatever and it still doesn't work) I would use it in a heartbeat.

Thanks everyone I'm going to give this smart audiobook player a try today.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah wireguard I would expose to the internet no question. If I didn't suck at computers. I've tried several times. It's my router or something not the server because I also was having trouble getting a basic tcp socket forwarded for like openvpn.

I will give the offline sync a try. So far so good on the smart one despite it not caring about the id3 data no matter how much I push the button. Audio sounds good and it plays through my cars Bluetooth which is all I need.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

dihaploidy posted:

Smart Audiobook Player should fit your needs. I've used it for a range of different audio files and it's handled them all fine so far.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ak.alizandro.smartaudiobookplayer&hl=en&gl=US

This has been totally fine, thanks! 3.5hrs into my book and it's going great. Oddly it doesn't see the title / cover information but VLC (also on my phone, same file) does so I know it's all "there." Just says "Audiobooks" everywhere, which is the folder name. I don't actually care just funny. I've tried toggling the "ID3" button.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Inceltown posted:

Smart watches have killed the need for noise in notifications. Take advantage of that if you can.

There has almost never been a need for notifications to make noise. Set the default to silent. Live your best life.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

saintonan posted:

I still use Textra and think it's great for SMS/MMS.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.textra

This?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Looks like att has finally blocked me from tethering. Is there a socks/http proxy I can run on my phone so I can route my tethered laptop and get internet access on the go? I am happy to pay, just not att.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah pocketcasts has it. You just have to add them.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Medullah posted:

I got so annoyed by the app and hated the physical remote it came with (very little functionality) so I ended up just buying a $20 universal remote. Not the answer you're looking for...but I was where you're at.

That's funny, I think the Roku remote is near perfect. The only thing I wish is they included the IR codes for receivers, which must take several extra kb of memory. I asked why they wouldn't and basically got told I was a moron. Like I just want to control the volume on my receiver with the same remote that I do 100% of my TV watching with, sorry. The new ones are even USB rechargeable.

(To make it truly perfect - remove the mic and paid placement buttons and replace them with more 1/2 shortcuts.)

Also I don't remember popup ads on the roku remote, but I remember it doing unsolicited notifications and other stuff I thought was annoying so I only install it when I can't find the real remote or want to troll my kid.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

Can you use the app to turn on the TV? Do you have to be in the house to use it? I suddenly am having evil ideas.

Maybe via HDMI-CEC? I've always found that a bit hit or miss so I haven't played with it. Plus you have to leave your TV in a "not the deepest possible sleep" state so that hdmi is powered up and listening for commands.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Google calendar is the one true calendar. I use Nine for my work email and calendaring. I don't think there is anything that effectively combines them. I have my work calendar shared with my Google account so I can view it all, but Microsoft only updates the feed between 0 and 4 times a day so you can only sort of trust it. Nine syncs it so is always up to date. It means I get 2 reminders for every work appointment which is turbo dumb.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah having outlook installed bypasses all that nonsense of using a feed, it installs a sort of api that Google calendar can use to access the outlook calendar as if it was native.

Yeah but outlook requires mdm to install and that's a big no from me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Google makes orders of magnitude more money from freemium apps than paid. They're directly disincentivized from making that easy to filter against.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

It was imo on Google to convince me I'd be better off on the play store than to install barely vetted apps by randos

But you repeat yourself.

Apple just put in their T&C that you have to itemize all purchases in your manifest. Google could do the same but they won't for years. They literally don't care as long as the money machine keeps printing on people who can't afford Apple.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The 7a is actually really repairable aside from the USB-C port being soldered to the motherboard.

Parts are reasonably priced and iFixit parterned with Google on all their phones to provide genuine parts and guides. Plastic back makes it easy to get into the phone for things like battery replacement without much fear of cracking the back.

For example, you can buy a genuine battery replacement kit for $39.99 and it comes with all the OEM adhesive to reassemble exactly like factory. Screen kits are $109. Google has online tools to allow you do do things like recalibrate the fingerprint sensor available for anyone.

I'll be damned. I never would have even considered that as a thing. Good for them.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Well no poo poo. My S20 Ultra's main camera hasn't focused in like 2 years and I just lived with it. Sadly the replacement is aftermarket and includes the stupid "100mp camera that is beyond worthless" module, likely jacking up the price. Probably should do this and refresh the battery while I'm at it.

https://www.ifixit.com/products/galaxy-s20-ultra-main-rear-camera

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

smoobles posted:

The app developer chooses the sizes that are available and how the widget "sits" within that space

Some are great but others are "graphic design is my passion"

That's basically why I use a dedicated page for my calendar. I have 3 total screens, default with 99% of what I use, left is calendar, right is misc.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Just never update.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Have you tried calling 611 and asking them?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I was going to say - stop restoring from backup, stop updating apps. Then once it works for however long, update your apps 1 at a time until it breaks.

Either way your carrier can sometimes tell you more information about why the phone is refusing calls. And tell you how to get into diagnostic screens etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

such as the ability to uninstall near every one of their non-essential apps. Samsung, so far, has sucessfully argued they're not a tech juggernaut like the others

But why would you want to uninstall Facebook?!

Only registered members can see post attachments!