Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I'll add some heavy duty camera apps, for when Google Camera doesn't cut it:

Manual Camera is a nice all-rounder, with a very polished UI, full manual controls and RAW capture. Use their compatibility checker to see which features your device supports before you buy.
Camera FV-5 has some extra features like burst mode, timelapses and histograms, but can't match Manual Cameras level of polish.

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mogomra posted:

Huh? Is that an opinion or is it for real abandoned? I love tasker.

It was taken off the Play Store by Google for using the override-doze permission without good reason, but the Tasker dev says he only ever declared that permission on the manual APK download build, never on the Play Store build.

:iiam:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mogomra posted:

Does he have a blog or social media profile he updates? I didn't see that on the Tasker website.

He posts on a Google Group as Pent.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

beerinator posted:

Think I'll find a new option.

Solid Explorer is the way to go if you don't mind spending money.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ElegantFugue posted:

Is there any particular reason to use PushBullet over AirDroid, or AirDroid over PushBullet? It looks like they do mostly the same things.

AirDroid is half the price if you upgrade to premium :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

hooah posted:

So now what happens if I just... never update Pushbullet?

Unless they're completely incompetent the free account limitations will be enforced on their backend, so all you achieve by holding back the update is your client getting confused when you hit the limit rather than telling you to :homebrew:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

XIII posted:

Can you transfer files between two devices over wifi with Solid Explorer like you can with ES? It's not something I use that often, but, when I do, it's pretty handy. I don't need a file manager often, so I've still got ES installed, but I've considered switching.

Under the Share menu there's an option to push your selected files over NFC/Android Beam. Can't speak to how well it works though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

I'm looking for an app that when I get a text message with an address in it I can click it and it will open up in maps.

Similar to how when a phone number appears you can click it and call it right away.

If you have Marshmallow you can bring up Now on Tap, it spots addresses in whatever you're doing and directs them to Maps.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CortezFantastic posted:

I have almost $17 in Google monies, what apps should I definitely own? I have Pocket Casts which is pretty much the only paid non-game app I own so lemme have it

DraStic DS emulator, to increase the number of good non-microtransaction-infested games you can play tenfold.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Deeters posted:

Is there a preferred Gameboy/GBA emulator? Paid is fine.

Robert Broglia's emulators are the gold standard for older systems.

The SNES one is free (due to licencing issues with snes9x) if you want to try out his UI first.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

You can now sell your soul for free apps in :denmark:, :norway: and :sweden:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/05/06/google-opinion-rewards-is-now-available-in-denmark-norway-and-sweden/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yep, that must be it. That's a really weird connection.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/05/10/es-file-explorer-updated-with-super-shady-speed-charging-adware/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Deeters posted:

Any good simple widgets that show battery percentage, with time to charge/drain? Seems like there's a lot of bloatware crap in this category.

Ampere is the usual recommendation for battery sperging, and comes with a clean 1x1 widget.

e: Nevermind it shows charge/discharge rate, not time to full/empty.

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 28, 2016

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I got a survey asking if I would recommend YouTube to a friend or colleague recently

Y'know, all those people who've never heard of YouTube

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Pocket Casts just backpedaled, people who paid for the web player now get a lifetime Plus subscription instead of 3 years :)

https://blog.pocketcasts.com/we-heard-you/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Google is doing the Apple Arcade thing

https://play.google.com/about/play-pass/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNl21sqNCFs

U.S. only at launch, lol google

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I had the logo for a while but it just disappeared today after people started widely complaining about it, seems Google got the message.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

me your dad posted:

I'm surprised there's nothing simple. I'm not sure I want to suggest another browser for my mom, as that might confuse her. I was hoping for the equivalent of a Chrome plugin that would be as simple as that.

Another option would be to use something like NextDNS for system-wide adblocking. It's slightly less effective than browser-level blocking but OTOH means she can keep using Chrome.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Spotify is atrocious for this and why I don't use it. The 10k library limit is tiny, you can't add music they don't have, and every piece of the interface makes it clear they just want you to hit "SHUFFLE" and hope their algorithm plays things you like, even when you open a specific album.

The 10k library limit was lifted recently, although you can still only download up to 10k tracks to each device for offline use.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/26/21270409/spotify-song-library-limit-removed-music-downloads-playlists-feature

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

NextDNS is pretty decent for non-rooted global ad blocking, it's just a DNS server so you don't have to route all your traffic through them.

They have an app but it's optional, you can just sign up via the site then change your Android DNS settings manually.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

How is this compared to AdGuard's DNS? I use that and have to constantly turn it off to get on store networks and my college's network. Is it faster or anything or?

I've never used AdGuard but it looks like you don't get any control over what it blocks. NextDNS lets you customise which blocklists to use, view the log of blocked requests, add your own whitelist and blacklist rules, etc.

It's free up to 300,000 requests a month (which in my experience you're very unlikely to hit) so you may as well try it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Is anyone else having an issue where both Chrome and Android WebView have a pending update, but refuse to actually update

Since they're related it seems like a circular dependency or something where each won't update until the other does

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nope, I tried uninstalling the updates (can't uninstall then completely since they're system apps) and they still won't update so now I'm stuck with the old versions in the system partition

google'd again

e: clearing the play stores data fixed it

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 4, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Google Drive has a scanner built in now, have you tried that?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ElegantFugue posted:

In the middle of upgrading from my old Pixel XL to a new Pixel 4a5g, what's the current go-to for blocking ads? I was using Blokada on the XL.

I just use Mullvads adblocking DNS now. It's free regardless of whether you use their main VPN product.

https://mullvad.net/en/help/dns-over-https-and-dns-over-tls/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

How are 3rd party Twitter client these days? I remember them being flaky because Twitter is hostile to developers using the API that way

The official app is pissing me off with jittery scrolling and what feels like memory leaks, which haven't been resolved after a long time

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Uthor posted:

Who is Branch and how concerned should I be?

(never heard of them)

I've never heard of them either but my ad-blocking DNS seems to be blocking their site so I'm going to take that as a bad sign

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

twitter has been actively hostile to full replacement clients for a long time now, so yeah web browser + ublock is probably the least bad option

alternatively block all the big brand accounts until you start getting the funny/weird ads from the bottom of the barrel

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they killed apps which used the official public API, but things like nitter use the private APIs that twitters web UI and official apps are built on

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

android is phasing out support for 32bit apps so a lot of those delisted apps will stop working anyway even if you find a way to install them

enjoy flappy bird while it lasts

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

eventually these apps run out of new people to sell to and their income dries up unless they pursue other funding (like selling out to an ad company)

niagara is expensive but their model means they'll have a sustainable income to keep development going long term

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

incogneato posted:

Yeah, despite me griping about $30 for a launcher, I do understand why and what they're trying to do. Niagara themselves had a blog post about it, how it allows them to develop without selling data etc. I respect that.

But it's also hard for me to justify $30 for a launcher. Maybe I'll feel different after the 30 day trial is up.

to be fair there's also the 10bux/year option, you don't have to pay 30bux outright

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the yearly option is still there, 30bux is to buy it for life

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

great, android now allows apps to insert their own hooks into the text-selection popup and of course its immediately being abused and google didn't have the foresight to let you customize the behaviour

the "web search" shortcut is now pushed into the second level menu because the amazon app puts it's own search shortcut at the top, and the only workaround is to uninstall amazon and any other app that does that

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the API might allow apps to only show their shortcuts in certain contexts, i don't know, but amazon at least seems to have set it up as a wildcard that shows up in any context in any app

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i will for now but lol if this catches on and you have to wade through 10 different app specific search shortcuts to find "select all" buried at the bottom

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

if the API isn't new then it's all the more stupid that you can't force-disable shortcuts, nor does it learn which ones you never use and push them down the list

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

gone for me too, they were getting hammered with 1 star reviews over it so i guess they decided it wasn't worth it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

google drive has a pretty good free scanner built in which does cropping/alignment automatically and spits out a PDF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

in true samsung fashion they'll have copilot and bixby and google assistant and won't let you uninstall any of them