Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

DemonMage posted:

With the big one being you no longer get notification actions unless you're Pro.

And it's a subscription?

Pushbullet's nice, but it ain't that nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've gotten surveys since switching to Marshmallow, but not nearly as often as before.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I probably wouldn't have bought a Youtube Red subscription on its own, but Google Music is the best $10 ($15 now because family plan) a month I've ever spent, and I'm certainly not complaining about ad-free Youtube videos on top of it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm looking for a good 'remind me to do a thing once an hour' app. It would need to be restricted to certain times of day and days of the week, I'd want to be able to dismiss individual instances without affecting future reminders, and I'm hoping for a more elegant solution than just setting twenty different alarms. Not averse to paying a couple bucks (well, surveybucks) for something good.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

flatluigi posted:

What's a good weather app, preferably one with radar? I was using the Weather Underground app but the notification frequently stops updating for long periods of time

I've been using Weather Timeline for about a year and I love it. I don't use its radar feature much but I did just fire it up and it seems radary enough I guess.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

I want it to show the temperature, as well as the current time; I don't need anything fancy.

If that's all you need, then any weather app with a persistent notification should do the trick.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Helicon One posted:

I thought there might be legal tripwires with trying to implement something like what I was hoping for.

Ripping everything to my PC once and then being able to throw it into cloud storage might be an acceptable compromise. I'm guessing (hoping) that doesn't limit me only to files that are also available on that service, and I can use it for basically any audio file I upload?

I'm less familiar with Amazon's service, but Google Play Music will let you upload your own audio (up to something absurd like 50,000 tracks) to their cloud for free (without subscribing), yeah. It's not dependent on it being already in their library.

If you do subscribe, you would gain streaming access (including the ability to pin stuff to your phone for offline listening) to their whole library, which would save you the trouble of uploading your own music in a lot of cases, though I'm not aware of a way of automating the process of adding all the CDs you already own to your music library.

I'm kind of a hard sell on monthly subscriptions, but I can't think of an entertainment purchase I've gotten more use of in the last couple of years than my Google Play subscription. Maybe Netflix. MAYBE.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It does not. (Or maybe it can, I don't know, but it certainly doesn't require it.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Not necessarily vouchers, but I can buy music directly with the Play credits. Neat! I have about $12 to burn so I might be able to get an album.

Is music on Google Play able to be downloaded to my computer or whatever or am I stuck to using my Android device(s) or the web app?

If you've bought the music, you can download it up to twice, I think (or an unlimited number of times if you grab your whole library, or something, I'm not clear on the details).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Finally, a "which of the following places have you visited recently" Google Rewards survey where I can truthfully answer something other than "none of the above". (Which are kind of my $0.10 at a time survey bread and butter.)

Granted, I only was passing through the place in question (a hotel) because I was in in the skyway in downtown Minneapolis and I took the hotel elevator to ground level. BUT I WAS THERE DAMMIT.

I left a nice review of the elevator.

Unrelated: I need to figure what to spend my $15 in surveybucks on, though I think I've still got a while before they expire. (Well less than a year since the oldest stuff has accumulated.) Already got paid versions of Nova Launcher, Weather Timeline, Pocketcasts, Fenix, etc. Maybe I'll buy a movie.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Already got a Google Play Music/Youtube Red family plan subscription, but yeah, might be worth saving a month of payments that way. (...actually, I'm not sure I can, because with sales tax it comes to slightly more than my balance and I don't know if you can split payment methods.)

I don't know if I'd really miss Youtube Red if it were gone (though ad-free videos are nice), and I doubt I'd pay for it separately, but Google Play Music is well worth the money on its own.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm guessing that the people complaining about the expense of SMS aren't in the United States.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

If Allo doesn't precede every message with "LISTEN VERY CAREFULLY, I WILL SAY ZIS ONLY ONCE" in a cheesy French accent, what is even the point?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's okay, "THEY ARE SO" is already written in twenty mile high letters across the entire internet

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm not familiar at all with European money laundering law but identity verification for any kind of transaction account in your name is routine (and routinely required) in the US. Normally it's pretty invisible to the customer, though; they check the info you used to register the account against public records and that's the end of it. The ID docs route is usually a last resort in my experience, and a huge pain in the rear end for all concerned. Trust me, Google is as frustrated at needing to collect documents from you as you are at sending them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Okay, Google, where the gently caress are all my playlists?

E. Never mind, must have just been a temporary Play Music glitch

docbeard fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 10, 2017

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I have iTunes running on a PC.
I want to be able to play Beats 1 Radio on my PC without actually having to go downstairs and use my PC. Any way I can use my Android tablet to start this task?

Unified Remote would probably do it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

The only thing I can think of is that you can swipe left of home for Google Now, on Nova you can't unless you root and install it as a system app iirc. Unless I missed a new development, it used to be that way. I can't root my S7 Edge :(

Yeah, as far as I know, you can't. You can map Google Now to a gesture but a left swipe isn't one of the available ones.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Do Bixby and Google Assistant ever get into fights?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just use the stock clock app, but I'm an old person with cats so my actual alarm needs are minimal.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

sweart gliwere posted:

The simplest alarm is having your mom call you. Or installing Aire Freshener on an Android Windows emulator.

Cats. Convince them that feeding time is first thing in the morning, and you will never sleep through your alarm again.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

dissss posted:

I don't see how it could be properly implemented without traffic sign recognition like a lot of modern cars have.

Surveys

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

It'll be like "Nova Launcher is not responding" so I close the app, turn off my phone, and turn it back on.

Moto G5. I wish I could pinpoint a specific thing that causes this weirdness to occur.

That is odd, because I have the same phone and I've not had anything like this going on.

You said earlier that you installed a lot of apps as part of some kind of bundle? My guess is something is conflicting with the launcher somehow, though damned if I know what it could be. Your best bet is to probably go the tedious route of uninstalling every app but the essential stuff (or maybe just factory resetting though that might be a tad extreme) and then reinstall things a few at a time and see if you notice problems.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

I haven't done anything particularly unusual with Chrome. Browsing Facebook, watching the occasional video, reading the occasional article -- maybe the ads were slowing it down, I don't know. Either way Firefox is working fine so I'm not too worried.

edit: for what it's worth I noticed the problem flaring up again while I was trying to type a Facebook status, which led me to believe that the keyboard app might be the problem, but I never experienced the issue when I was texting or anything and I never had it when I was posting either.

It almost sounds like something's kicking Nova out of memory but that shouldn't be happening on a 4-gig G5+.

This may be my Skyrim modding battle scars talking, but I do think your best bet is to uninstall everything and reinstall essential (and then nonessential) stuff a few pieces at a time and see if/when it starts happening.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This is a longshot I suspect, but is there any way to keep wifi from connecting without a minimum signal strength or something (without hand-curating networks several times a day or toggling wifi off every time it happens)? Astonishingly, the 1 bar I get on my home router from across the street some days is not super useful, nor is connecting to the wifi on the bus that's passing the bus I'm actually on.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Enable Developer options (usually Settings > About phone, tap the Build number seven times), scroll down under Networking and enable "Aggressive Wi-Fi to Cellular Handover".

Thanks! Trying it now and so far so good.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Weather Timeline's built-in radar seems all right. I also use Raindar sometimes, I have no idea whether it's better or worse than anything else, but it does the job.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Blue Train posted:

They need to let you hide apps from the drat drawer

something something Nova Launcher something something

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

That, coupled with the poo poo non-swipable news feed and hidden Google Now agenda updates and whatnot, makes me in a constant low-level state of irritation with Google.

I still, somehow, have a swipable feed, gently caress only knows how, but I'm not complaining.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Blue Train posted:

Oh so they got bought by Google?

It hasn't fragmented into twenty distinct podcast apps that each will only play one specific podcast, so no.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good proximity-based alarm app (i.e. one that sets off an alarm when you get close to a specific location)?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

LastInLine posted:

I'm in the 'burbs so I don't think it's so much rural/urban as "go places". If you go places often and Google's tracking you, you're going to get some surveys, especially once you happen across a place that has a promotion going (for years it would trigger when I went to Bedubs which I did every Tuesday but that stopped about a year ago--both Wing Tuesdays and the promotion). I think Walgreen's does some occasionally.

Weirdly, my wife gets $.50 surveys every time she goes to Kroger (and it wants a picture of her receipt) so that's a dollar a week for her but I often accompany her and I've never gotten one.

Either way the key is to get out of the house often.

I used to get a lot of "did you go to this store" surveys based on whatever businesses my bus drove past on any given day but for some reason all my surveys shifted over to the old SIMless phone I use to watch videos on at home and I can't be bothered to sort it out.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't really mind GPM though it's probably just hit the threshold for me of "basically good enough".

Really, the only thing I think I'd miss (aside from ad-free Youtube without jumping through hoops, but if that were the only thing keeping me with GPM, I'd be gone now) is the ability to upload my own music.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

That's what 90 percent of my surveys have been for years.

Yeah, it's usually either this or Have You Been Skydiving For Truffles In The Last Month? Can We Come Along?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My dreams of a Battlestar Galactica phone with the corners cut off are shattered.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Just get a cat jesus christ it'll have you up at the asscrack of dawn guaranteed for 18 years.

This is the correct answer. Get a cat, start feeding it first thing in the morning, and you will never oversleep again.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I pretty much just use the stock alarm (but I'm also one of those old people who hasn't actually been awakened by my alarm in years).

I do use it to make sure I'm awake when I get close to my final bus stop on my way to work, though, and that's a bit more critical. I've looked at proximity-based alarms but I've never found one I could actually make work well.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Them restoring the ability to sort downloaded episodes to the top would eliminate about 90% of my issues with the update but I guess I also don't really know what's meant to be better about this.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I mean, no hard feelings, business is business, but I have way too many subscription services in my life as it is (including two that are podcast-related), and if I hadn't already jumped off the Pocket Casts train a while back this would probably do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Well, poo poo.