Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I told Google I owned a small business (true) and boy are they ever spinning their wheels trying to figure out what it is.

Also I've been asked if I've gone truffle hunting twice in the last six months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Uthor posted:

I have the Google App giving me box scores for the World Series and its updating the score in a notification. That notification is typically 20+ minutes out of date. Is there a way to have it update at least every five minutes without opening the app itself and manually updating it? Or on screen unlock?

Same thing happens when it's spitting out Bears scores at me.

Yeah, I hate how long that takes to update, but I also think if it polled more, people would get pissy about battery usage.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Tried it today - pretty nice. Need to remember to turn on my car as a trusted device so I don't have to PIN it on every time I want to look at something. Wish you could re-arrange the items under Audio so Podcast Addict isn't at the bottom. I also wish the delay on Bluetooth wasn't two seconds or more so I could say OK Google and have it pause playback. I might try getting things working under USB, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 8, 2016

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Is there a way to make Timely start up on reboots? It's a great alarm app but if my phone reboots overnight (Pixel XL, twice???), the alarm doesn't go off.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

It does that, I've never had timely not persist during reboots/anything. As said, why the hell is your phone rebooting??

Dunno, I'm asleep when it happens! :v:

I assumed it was part and parcel of the Android 7 experience, but my patch is still at 11/5/2016. Other than that, and a weird Maps glitch when I'm in Auto (which I assumed was because Auto is pretty much beta at this point), my experience has been extremely solid, so! If there's a system log somewhere where I can say "yo why'd you reboot", that'd be a good thing for me to check.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Vykk.Draygo posted:

How often is it rebooting?

Had it for about five weeks, first time was about two weeks ago.

Blue Train posted:

http://android-revolution-hd.blogspot.com/2014/02/how-to-generate-kernel-log-after-random.html

dmesg or logcats from before it reboots would be handy too but harder to get obviously seeing as it's random

Can't seem to find that file location and looking for where such a thing would be in Android 7.1 isn't turning up anything.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Vykk.Draygo posted:

That doesn't answer my question. How often is it rebooting?

Just the two times, once on Thursday night and once a few weeks ago, both times when I was asleep. Never when I've been using it.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Vykk.Draygo posted:

That doesn't answer my question. How often is it rebooting?

Blue Train posted:

Try /sys/fs/pstore/console-ramoops 

So by the grace of my jerk dog barking, I happened to be awake to see the phone reboot itself this morning at 4:45. Scrambled downstairs and got the log off the computer, which looks to my untrained eye like it's starting from where the reboot happened. I've got it uploaded to my Google Drive, but I don't know if there's any identifying information I should scrub from it before putting it out here?

I did check and I'm still on 11/5 security patch, and still showing Android 7.1, so no update.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 6, 2016

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

There's going to be a lot of stuff like your email address and things in there. ctrl-f and see if you can find stuff you don't want read. I'm concerned though you might have grabbed the log going forward from the reboot rather than the last_kmsg (last kernel message)?

Also maybe I'm wrong but I thought it wasn't possible to get decent logs without being rooted now.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12fNdwVyCfGZd77r0psB7R2KpQApYEBgsjtJEtZOJ9Ps/edit?usp=sharing is what I grabbed - don't see any identifying information in there, though, and it definitely looks like going from reboot forward, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'll look into getting rooted if this keeps happening after I get 7.1.1 installed; maybe installing the ROM fresh wouldn't be the worst idea I've ever had.

Also apropos of current topic, I also use Podcast Addict and vastly prefer it to BeyondPod and whatnot, mainly for the subscription stuff (for Giant Bomb/Wrestling Observer) working really well.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

That's definitely from the boot onward. What you want is located here /sys/fs/pstore/console-ramoops though I don't know if you have permission to get it.

That's what I got - grabbed it using adb shell cat /sys/fs/pstore/console-ramoops > crash.txt on my computer, once I got to it; it'd been about fifteen minutes from crash to command, though.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I am looking for an app or a service or something that will let me sync contacts with my wife and Google at the same time. Some intermediary, I guess? Is this a thing?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

peepsalot posted:

Is it possible to create an alarm from google calendar? I'm sick of this thing loving me over. A 1/2 second duration notification sound is apparently not enough to wake me up for important doctor's appointment, and I don't see any way to make it an alarm. I need event reminders to effectively remind me; whatever the gently caress calendar is doing is not working.

Is there something that I can do so that it forces me to acknowledge the thing before going silent?

why don't you...make...an alarm

I use Timely and paid the extra bucks to make it do the tests to make sure I'm awake.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

always be closing posted:

I have Fenix for Twitter, and I like it well enough, but it uses a lot of battery if I forget to close it. Any other recommendations?

I use Talon, but it is also a motherfucker for battery; my guess is because their "Talon Pull" so I can get "push" notifications from Twitter is a trashfire.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

RandomPauI posted:

I don't care for podcast addict or pocket cast. I don't want to have to memorize what pic goes to what podcast. I'd rather see a text list of the podcast names.

You can do that in Podcast Addict. (Podcasts-Display Settings-Display Mode)

I would also like to thank the recommendations for background generators!

Is there a better version of Bluetooth Connect and Play that will stop everything on my phone from trying to play when it connects to my car? BC&P kills Android Auto and keeps killing stuff even after the ten seconds or however long. Oh, to just be able to tell my phone STOP PLAYING THINGS.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
228.78 since 11/27/13. Google knows I own a business and Google is trying for the life of me to figure out what it is, so I'll have a run of $1.00 surveys every once in a while.

And yeah I just started getting the receipt ones after I go grocery shopping.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Jewce posted:

Have there been any posts about apps to spend your Rewards dollars on? I've got like $30 and I can't think of poo poo to buy. I guess I could get books or movies or something, but some cool apps would be fun.

I've paid for a few weather apps, reddit app, SD maid, nova prime, etc... All the usual poo poo, so now what?

I use it as my primary Google Play Music method so it just drains out most of that payment every month.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Are there any dumb Android games that have a system like Star trek online with the crew where you tell your guys to go do stuff and a few hours later or days it's done and you tell them to do something else. One that doesnt involve clicking a thousand times

Crazy Taxi was my go-to.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, JustType WebOS, you were years ahead of the curve.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

sirbeefalot posted:

What's unique to Inbox at this point anyway? I'm glad they actually integrated many of the new features into one app though, instead of just killing it off and forgetting about it.

Reminders. I let Reader go because RSS and websites weren't really doing it for me any more, but man, gently caress Google.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

azurite posted:

Yeah, i had the Gboard and battery saver things happen today too. It's all resolved now. Strange.

I didn't notice the Gboard thing but the battery saver thing was driving me up the loving wall.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Molten Llama posted:

Also, Inbox has officially begun nagging you to stop using it. Boo.

Give me Reminders and I will, jackasses.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Soysaucebeast posted:

If I needed to go over to GWS that's cool, just let me know.

But does anyone know any good cookbook apps that let you create your own recipes, and ideally will let me upload recipes from digital books I've bought? I've been using My Cookbook, but it just refuses to import the digital cookbooks I have. It just sticks on 'importing' for hours. I'm only just getting into cooking, so it would help to have everything in one place instead of having to remember which recipe was in which book.

I would also love one of these that supports beaming to Google Home Hubs.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

thehoodie posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask about this (please direct me if not), but google is shutting down Inbox and forcing everyone to move back to Gmail. I can't stand Gmail (why would I possibly want 5 separate I boxes) - is there an alternative that allows bundling, snoozing, and swooping like Inbox? Preferably with a desktop equivalent.

Why, google, why? :smith:

You can snooze and swipe to archive/delete/mark-read/move in Gmail - default on swipes is Archive, but you can change that (one for left and one for right) in General Settings, and Snooze is in the three-dot menu by default.

I'm not happy about it either (GIVE ME REMINDERS IN GMAIL), but I don't use bundling and as long as I can swipe to snooze/archive, I'll be fine, I guess??

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
My problem with the Spotify app is that there's no way to clear the queue. Always gotta have something ready to play!! Sometimes I'm just done with an album, thanks, guys

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Ola posted:

I thought they fixed this a while ago. Perhaps only in the desktop client, I don't have an active sub at the moment to check. But you can definitely turn off that thing where it keeps playing random stuff after your album or playlist is done.

You can do that, which is great, but I want a playlist/queue to disappear when it's done - if I play an album, I don't want it back at the start when I'm done, I want it gone. And there's still no Clear Queue button, even if I remove everything from my Queue, you can't have Nothing playing.

mango sentinel posted:

I just buy all my music on Bandcamp :shrug:

i mean, me too, but not all bands put their stuff there!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Rifter17 posted:

Its not that bad to use the mobile app. I run into problems when I'm adding follow-up doctor appointments to it while I'm still in the office and I accidentally put it under the wrong calendar (like business vs. family). There's no way to edit the event to change it to another calendar.

Its more that its something I have to remember to fix at a later time instead of just fixing it right then and there.

Tap the event, three dots, Copy To the right calendar, delete original. Stupid to not have it under Edit, I agree, though!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone else see what I assume was an A/B test on Gboard yesterday? Back to normal now.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

Long press on the Calendar app, either on your homescreen or in the app drawer. You can also literally type into the search bar on the home screen "Remind me to ..."

Oh, gently caress yes. I totally forgot about long presses and I use reminders constantly.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

We Know Catheters posted:

Is there a Twitter app that actually works? Fenix doesn't have it's timeline chronologically and everything else does not show all of the replies on posts.

I don't have a problem with the official app, but only if I shut off push notifications since that nukes the battery harder than anything I've ever seen.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Android Apps: Delete Twitter, Use AMDroid for alarm clocks

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Am I blind, or is there no way to edit a calendar event in the Google Calendar to change what calendar an event is saved to?

When you tap the event, then the pencil to edit, it's the first thing under the event name?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Not on mine. Right below the title is the All Day selector, the time range, the time zone, and the repeat option. Below that is Add People. Below that is event location, add notification, add conferencing, default color (only affects color, not calendar), description, attachment, public/private, busy.

I think that means you didn't create it/don't have high enough permissions to unilaterally change it? Try copying it to the calendar you want it on?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It must be a server-side rollout, because my app didn't update in the store, and I've found complaints about it dating back to the end of February.

Yeah, I literally just updated to the latest gboard, rebooted, and it's just a blank space bar for me. A/B testing!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I, too, am getting You Hangouts.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Guy Axlerod posted:

Yeah, it's going over the top of the screen and dims the rest of the screen while using navigation. I had it hidden entirely before, it's a distraction I don't need.

yeah, I assumed that was how it was for everyone? Is it supposed to come up from the bottom? Is there a setting to change this??

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

August 20, 2020 is when Android Police wrote about it but I had it on mine about a week before that. Pretty sure it's server side. I assumed everyone had the updated UI by now.

Those screens look like the in-dash version and I'm still on my phone so that's probably the difference. Should possibly invest in a Screen

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

kirbysuperstar posted:

I wish I could rearrange the order of tokens in authy. They're alphabetical on desktop but on mobile it's just scattershot

Long tap, hold, and drag.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I'd say Keep but I also just yell at my phone/devices to add things to my shopping list and then to show me that shopping list when I'm at the store.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

teethgrinder posted:

Is there anyway to have a rotating album of images as a lock screen, independent from the wallpaper?

It seems the only way to keep it separate/different from the live wallpaper is to use a single static image. (OnePlus 9P)

Tapet seems to do this, but it randomly generates wallpapers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Google has finally followed through on its threat to move Shopping Lists to Keep - where are they? Is there some special section I'm not seeing? Do I need to recreate my lists? Will I not be able to yell at my Homes to add things to a list? Have I finally been Googled?