Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Play Music Family plans are now available, at least for me.

Got to settings in the Play Music app and there should be a setting for Family plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Now to find the other person in the world who uses it instead of Spotify and rake in that $3 a month

I think it's worth it because that subscription includes Youtube Red.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

2. You can stack up a bunch of links in floating Link Bubble style bubbles. So, for example, when I'm looking at my suggested Google Now stories, I can look through them, click the ones I want, and each one pops open another bubble. Then when I get to end of list, I can go through the bubbles and read the articles.

It has seemed very hit or miss about loading the page in the background. This is what I liked about Link Bubble was loading several pages from Reddit Is Fun in to bubbles, and letting them load up while I read more headlines. Then opening the bubbles which will have fully loaded in the background.

Chromer seems to do this less than half of the time for me. I open a "web head" bubble and then the page starts loading.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ShaneB posted:

So on my S7, after I get a gmail notification, I might read it on my desktop. Even after being read, the notification still sticks on my phone. This used to not happen on my old Nexus 5.

Help!

I don't think it's just you. My S7 does the same thing for gmail and hangouts notifications. I had assumed it was related the the 6.0 doze/sleep power save stuff or something, but I don't know.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Zom Aur posted:

I'd appreciate it more if they actually replaced stuff rather than just making one more alternative.

Like, sure, abandon hangouts if that's what they want to do, but if they launch a new app with pretty much the same features then remove the older one. I'm sure this wont happen though, since hangouts will likely stay as a google voice app.

Hangouts will stay the Google Voice (and Google Fi) app for 18-24 months. But during that period they will neglect and ignore it. Then they will announce that Google Fi is moving to Allo, then 12 months later Google Voice will move over too but it will be missing some of it's features like group MMS or something.

Around the same time, Google will announce the Jibe/RCS is ready and they will release a new messaging client based on it.

Seriously, I am really hoping that Allo turns out to be Jibe/RCS.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Taffer posted:

What do Fi and hangouts have to do with each other?

Doesn't Fi use Hangouts for it's SMS and MMS?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Uthor posted:

Doesn't have to. I broke the ties within five minutes of getting Fi.

It is required if you want to get calls and texts in Hangouts on your PC, though.

Ah, I thought it was required.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
It always pissed me off when I use voice controls to ask for "gently caress you" and it plays "Forget you"

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 21, 2016

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LastInLine posted:

I guess since you're just learning stuff now's a good time to let you know that Eric Schmidt has a soundproofed sex dungeon in Manhattan.

Larry Page also has a sex dungeon, but it is not sound proof.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
If you use Google Voice and don't have Allo, you can't respond to Allo messages.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Skarsnik posted:

It really really wont believe me when I tell it I haven't invested in the international copper market either

Maybe you should.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Horn posted:

I go with Chrome and NetGuard.

I put NetGuard on this morning after reading this post. There has been a noticeable battery hit for me.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

Just so you know that because of the way Android's VPN service works, the battery usage for network traffic in all apps is attributed to NetGuard in the battery stats instead of to each individual app.

Yeah, it even warns you as much. But even still, I am at 70% battery and the phone has been in my pocket almost all day. On a day like today, I would have more than this left at the end of the day.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Pruney posted:

CLAM DOWN mate.

Back on topic

Is there any point using the GMail app or should I just get Inbox instead?

Both my wife and I tried Inbox for about a week. Neither of us thought it was worth sticking with, with the way we manage our messages. But if it works for you, then use it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Is there a browser that does ad block and syncs with Chrome?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Google is shutting down "Spaces" on March 3rd, so that is one less google messaging app.

9 months might be a new record for killing one off.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

peepsalot posted:

Is there an android app to automatically submit FCC complaint for do not call registry violations? I am getting more and more spam calls lately and its driving me insane. Is the FCC capable of even enforcing this poo poo in any way?

No, but I would like to chime in and say that spam calls have been increasing a lot here lately.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Has anyone used a good habit tracking app?

I am looking for something that I can set up some goals for myself and track how well I am keeping up with them. Things like go to the gym X times a week, study for X hours a day, etc.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I like the fluid simulation live wall paper. You can customize it so that it is very show and suddle.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/dev?id=7596352546733505681

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
:smith:

Vykk.Draygo posted:

On the topic of live wallpaper, I used the Live Earth one that came on the Pixel for a while, but eventually upgraded to this parallax Earth and Moon one and I really enjoy it.

That is really nice looking. The pro version is $9.99, which seems like a lot to me for a live wallpaper. Free version seems good enough.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Uthor posted:

Plex or Emby?

Check out JellyFin. It's a fork of Emby that doesn't wall off transcoding and other features behind a subscription.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

vyst posted:

The Gboard auto predict/auto correct is loving god awful and I feel like it's gotten worse over time

Much like every other Google product.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Youtube music just gave me a free Google Home Nest Mini. I hadn't seen anyone else post anything about it. App just had a full screen notification about it when I opened it.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 30, 2020

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Soysaucebeast posted:

Seriously. I pay for Play Music because it gets me Youtube Red. When GPM completely goes away, I'm honestly torn on if I'll just move over to YTM, or keep my Youtube Red subscription and just start TOTALLY LEGALLY DOWNLOADING MUSIC again. I'll give YTM a good faith try I think, but if I can't play my music without an internet connection that's a dealbreaker for me.

Edit: I just remembered that I have an Amazon Prime account, so I can probably just use that if YTM is a trash fire. At least I have a backup plan.

I wouldn't call YTM a trash fire, but it is a step backwards from GPM for absolutely no reason. It's little stupid things, like it won't automatically start playing music when it connects to my car's bluetooth, or show album art on my car's head unit unless I am tethered and using Android Auto.

It's your standard Google product that replaces another Google product that was marginally better. I am sure that in the next 2 years, they will kill the YTM app and integrate 80% of its functionality in to the base youtube app for no reason.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

bull3964 posted:

I've never had any Android app show album art over Bluetooth with multiple vehicles, head units, phones, and apps.

I know that Pandora used to do it in my previous car. I assumed that GPM did, but I didn't have a head unit that would show it till a few weeks ago in my current car, which is after I switched to YTM. So, my bad for assuming.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Kheldarn posted:

Ya'll should just be using the Google Weather Frog.

This thing has the least efficient use of screen space of any app I have ever used.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Uthor posted:

Any idea why VLC will occasionally show a notification with play controls that just says "loading"? I can't swipe it away, end up force closing the app. It's been happening every few hours for a couple of days. I haven't been using the app otherwise.

(I figure I'll just wait for an update...)

I figured it was because it wanted to be uninstalled.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Will there ever be a point where Google figures out that no one is interested in any of their new products anymore because they never stick with any of them and constantly replace them with less developed new apps every few years?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Stevie Lee posted:

Seems to come and go for me on my pixel 2 with no rhyme or reason besides :google:

e: currently functional

I recently started using the Another Widget that was recommended in this thread to replace the Google At A Glance, and switched back to Nova Launcher.

It's so much nicer to have a widget that has settings that you control and can set to show what you want, how you want it, instead of what ever the gently caress the algorithm feels like today.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

codo27 posted:

I have pretty low expectations for Google but its truly heinous that the current messages app on Pixel allows exactly zero customization, nothing at all, besides the light/dark switch. Whats the go to texting app that actually has features?? Being able to text from my PC is imperative.

Zero customizations? What else would you call the pinch to change text size that I always accidently trigger when trying to zoom in on a image.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

cage-free egghead posted:

Or WebOS.

Unrelated, but does anyone have issues while casting that closed captions will just turn on automatically even after disabling them previously? I feel like I'm wrestling with this daily with the Youtube app.

I get it in my browser too.

I think on my phone it is at least triggered by my phone's media volume betting on mute.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

sweart gliwere posted:

Borq's 3D launcher is essentially a Packard Bell Navigator for phones, if you want to get really ridiculous.

Edit: I know you mean flat Win8 phone style, just funnier to think CE or pre-vista

Get back to me when we have MS Bob for Android.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Is there some app that allows for total remote control of a phone remotely? Like, including over the Internet?

I would like to be able to remote desktop a phone from another device, pc or another Android phone from remote locations

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

hooah posted:

Same. The only trouble I have is sometimes I can't get internet from public wifi hotspots unless I turn off the private DNS.

I really wish Google would make it so Android would disable private DNS if it falls to connect and just give you a warning notification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

smoobles posted:

For reasons that only make sense to me, I want to customize my phone so certain apps don’t work while I’m at home.

It’s a long story but I’m way too distracted working from home and need to block some apps to force myself to get outta the house

Would Tasker help with something like this? I used Tasker ages ago but haven’t needed it for a while

So, this is how I would do it:

Sign up for Nextdns.io and configure your home router to use it as the DNS it hands out for your DHCP addresses. In nextdns, configure it to block the addresses of the apps you want to not work while at home. then when you leave the house, you will be off your network and using DNS from your cell provider or what ever Wifi you are on, and those apps should work again.