Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

BeastOfExmoor posted:

App sales lists a bunch of Black Friday app sales. The only big time one I saw was Poweramp unlocker for $0.99. I bought it even though I already own Shuttle+ (sale a few weeks back) and actually typically use Rocket Player (for the integration with iSyncr), but $0.99 of Google survey rewards is a no-brainer.

That was 10p a few days ago too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mogomra posted:

I use airdroid for this, but the second device is always a laptop or desktop, so it might not work as well for you. Thinking about it, I don't know if airdroid supports device to device transfers since I've never tried.

You can open it in Chrome or whatever as usual, bit clunky on a phone but it works fine

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ElegantFugue posted:

Is there any particular reason to use PushBullet over AirDroid, or AirDroid over PushBullet? It looks like they do mostly the same things.

Pushbullet itself doesn't do local transfers, right? Everything has to go through their servers?

I use Airdroid for putting stuff on my devices and as a basic file manager for the occasional time I need that. I use Pushbullet to send links to devices, mostly as a 'look at this later' thing, or to send the occasional small file like a pic I might want for a wallpaper or whatever

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

myron cope posted:

They do have Portal, which is a separate app. It only mentions PC to device, does Airdroid to device to device?

Yeah but it means using your device's browser just like with a PC. Not exactly ideal but it works

e- I never bothered setting up an account, so I don't know what happens when you Share a file to Airdroid

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 7, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Taffer posted:

So Google already has messenger and hangouts, both of which are complete poo poo, and it's plan is to.... Make a 3rd app that supposed to compete with one of the biggest texting/messaging apps out there?

Okay.

Wave's back, baby! With chatbots

I'm gonna guess the idea is something like moving Google Now into more spaces. Instead of having a separate search app you can interact with by directing voice commands at it, maybe followed by some more voice commands, it could become an entity you can just chat to like a knowledgeable person you know, which might feel more natural for some people.

Or so you can have conversations where you can ask this lurking presence a question and it responds in the chat where everyone can see, and anyone in there can interact with it to get extra info, like if you're planning a day out or something. So instead of going to look stuff up and then relaying the information back to everyone yourself, Google is right in there With You Always, that helpful third party chat participant. Or like that Alexa thing, except it's in all your virtual social spaces instead of your physical one

Then there'll be multiple chatbots that are some experiment in AI personalities, with their own mannerisms and likes and opinions based on harvesting user interaction data and branding opportunities helpful suggestions about what similar people seem to be into. Maybe the chatbots will start trying to be your friend and message you of their own accord. Bro, have you heard this band on YouTube Red? They're totally playing Coachella this year

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

If you can get into Developer Options, looking at Running Services would be a good place to start

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Teaches of Peaches posted:

I have an odd situation but thought someone here might have a suggestion. I started a new job and the building I am working in has poor reception. Mostly because its down in a gully and the room is sort of a basement room. The problem I ran into today was battery drain. I figure most of the problem is my phone trying to get reception and ping for various location services. Is there a way disable stuff like that short of putting my phone in airplane mode? I can still receive calls and text I just don't have data etc in that area of the buidling. Today I spent most of the day in that area and my phone was at like 35% by lunch which is unusual. This is a Samsung S6 for reference.

You got Battery Saver mode on there? (The actual Android one in the Battery menu, not some other thing.) It cuts down on background activity so it might stop looking for data networks all the time

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

vyst posted:

Does anyone know of a local video player that has the ability to create playlists as well as adjust playback speed?

BSPlayer can do for ya

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

What's wrong with Duolingo? It's been really effective for me, up to an intermediate level anyway. Obviously people have different learning styles but I don't know what 'bubblegum garbage' means

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Defenestration posted:

I will be more specific: I would like a language app that actually requires me to learn word lists and conjugations rather than game a multiple choice test for brownie points. I'd like more I have to type in the answer rather than which of these four words most looks like the latin root ok I'll pick that.

If you're only getting multiple choice questions then something's up. Generally there's

• Multiple choice word recognition from pictures
  • Free translate a word into the foreign language
  • Multiple choice translation into the foreign language (tests recognition and identifying multiple valid readings which is an important thing to train)
  • Dictation, transcribing the foreign language sentence you hear
  • Translate a sentence into the foreign language
  • Microphone stuff I don't really use

It definitely starts off easy and gets a lot more advanced, with more things like 'what's this a picture of' in the beginning which give way to things like conditionals and subjunctive and various tenses later. You can also drill a certain category when you've completed it, or just 'build your strength' overall which randomly picks material you haven't seen in a while

The app is a little lighter than the browser version, yeah - there's no free sentence translation like on the desktop (you translate a sentence by choosing words in a correct order), which I'm guessing might be something to do with making it work offline actually there's both. The desktop client is definitely better - you can do free translation, there's a timed practice (which is great for getting your brain thinking quickly in the language), and the 'immersion' stuff is what you want after you've finished the tree - translating and reviewing articles, basically. But the app is great and they do add features, like now you can access the comments on each question if you want some background on some element of it

The gamification is basically motivational, you can pretty much ignore all that if you don't care about streaks or lingots, which are basically useless apart from opening bonus categories and taking fluency tests (I think?) You'll never be short of them, put it that way

Your experience might depend on the language too, some of the newer ones are community-developed - I'm doing Swedish and the creators did a great job, but I don't know how the Dutch one is. And yeah maybe it's not for everyone, but I learned more Spanish on there in a few months than 3 years of high school, so it's definitely worth trying - especially in a browser, if you can do that sometimes. Something like Memrise would be better for purely memorising vocab, but that's a companion to learning the language

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 18, 2016

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That's a weird question. What are you doing to that phone...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

flashy_mcflash posted:

I got a Cardboard-like VR headset (this one: http://www.amazon.com/Virtual-Reality-Headset-Controller-Smartphones/dp/B019NBVJII) recently. Is there anything new/cool for Cardboard beyond the official Cardboard app?

You could try Google Spotlight Stories

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

hooah posted:

I recently tried using the Gmail app for my school's non-Gmail email (again), and it seems to be loving up deleting emails and/or marking them as read. Has anyone else seen this problem? To elaborate, I can delete or read several emails on my phone, but when I open up my email client on my computer, those emails are still there or unread, even after refreshing the client.

Sure your computer isn't using POP3 or something, so it isn't picking up the changes?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

brc64 posted:

Are you saying Dark Sky uses forecast.io? The impression I got was that they had their own proprietary "hyper accurate" system. If that's the case, it'd be cool if Weather Timeline could tap into that. If it's just forecast.io then psh, one less reason to care about Dark Sky.

I might be completely wrong but I got the impression that Dark Sky was developed alongside forecast.io, or it was at least the first weather app to use it. So they did have their own "hyper accurate" system, it's just that that was years ago and other apps have it now, so they're a bit late to the Android game

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, that's what I end up having to do. My point (which I made poorly due to rushing my post because I was cooking) is that if you'd had asked me if I wanted quick access to my old tabs I would've said no but in practice I use it if not a lot, then frequently enough to miss it when it's gone on a computer. I guess then it shouldn't surprise me that some people want that same functionality on mobile.

I think Manky was pointing out that menu is in the Windows version too, the History submenu or whatever lists your last closed tabs

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

maltesh posted:

Yes you can, as long as it's less than 100MB.

https://play.google.com/books/uploads

It uses insane amounts of space on the device though. Your < 100MB books unfurl into into several gigabytes for some reason, I have no clue why. Prerendering pages or something? I have a few books in PDF format, under 10MB each, taking up almost 2GB on my 16GB phone. Thanks google!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah I figured it was a PDF thing, I have epub versions too but I need the proper formatting (got some code snippets in there). I'm assuming it's caching pages up front to make them cheaper to render, but still no drat excuse for filling up all the available space. Wonder if you're right about a specific issue with certain files...

Oh another annoying thing about Play Books, you can't edit the metadata. My PDFs don't have any title and author info, so the book is permanently named after the filename. Classy

nocal posted:

You can clear the data locally, but of course you'll have to reload your books when you want to read them.

Yeah it's that kind of janitoring I was hoping to avoid with the magic of the cloud, not that it should even matter with a few frickin ebooks like it's 1996 or something :argh:

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 12, 2016

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Wrist Watch posted:

Does the google keyboard seem...worse w/r/t swiping words lately to anyone else? It feels like it's been on a downwards trend for a while now, where every few words I swipe I have to stop and correct it because it thinks I swiped something completely different.

Yeah, plus sometimes it'll outright ignore swipes for words like 'was' as though it's getting interrupted, and sometimes it does weird poo poo where backspace on a word adds a whole new word for each letter of the original word you delete

I mean it feels less responsive than it was, but it has some really janky bugs too

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Wasn't it in this thread that people didn't believe that Spotify does weird PTP bullshit that ruins your stuff?

That doesn't affect Android though right?

Wouldn't be surprised if it's related to Chromium on the desktop because Chrome does hella disk writes all the time. I restarted yesterday to update it and it's already written 5GB of who knows what to profile storage. It's been happening for years too

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I have no idea fishmech!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Alan_Shore posted:

How do Live Wallpapers not use much battery and CPU? Is it because they're videos instead?

Depends how much work they're doing, some use insane amounts of battery (like some games), others are pretty simple and efficient. A well written one should only have a performance hit when you're looking at it, and ideally not much then either

Gifs aren't hard to display, it depends how much caching you can do. A fairly small one can be turned into frames and kept in texture memory and then it's just there, ready to display. Some 500MB monster gif is gonna cause issues. Videos are a bit more work, probably worse than smallish gifs but definitely better than churning through a big one that thinks it's a video

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The Dark One posted:

Live Wallpapers were introduced with Gingerbread, so they couldn't have been that resource intensive.

They can be pretty much anything at all, running in a handy service that sticks it on your home screen

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

wormil posted:

I recently switched back to Android from a Win phone and I don't care much for the keyboard. In some apps a double tap on a word will select it, in other apps it does nothing, in some apps it asks if I want to select everything. It doesn't anticipate that I want to paste something I just cut or copied from another tab. Sometimes double tapping or press and hold does nothing useful.

I dunno if other keyboards mess this up somehow, but the usual way to select a word is to long-press it. Then you can drag the end points to select more. A short tap should just put the cursor there, and you can tap its anchor point to get a paste menu etc

LastInLine posted:

Actually this is a good time to ask something: I was in the official Philips Hue app and noticed they disable swiping in their renaming fields. How loving annoying! Has anyone else has ever seen this before? I've seen it for password fields but I could of course see the letters and I wouldn't suspect you could have one without the other. This was on the Google Keyboard if that makes a difference.

There isn't a specific password box, you just add attributes to a text input box to make it look and behave in certain ways. Here's the list if you care! I guess it's probably just disabling suggestions, and that also prevents swiping?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

wormil posted:

I just tried it in Google chrome and long pressing selects everything in a text input.

Sometimes a text box is set to highlight everything when you move focus to it, so you can clear it easily. Tap on it again and you'll get the normal cursor where you tapped, and everything will be deselected. Then you can long-press to select part of the text if you want

You're probably just not used to the general input behaviour and we are, so it's second nature to tap twice to put the cursor in a field or whatever. You'll get the hang of it. Keyboard suggestions are a whole other thing

Also the Google keyboard is pretty broken for me sometimes, probably the swipe backspace thing messing up (even when I'm tapping it). Really weird poo poo happens

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Far as I'm aware getting a compass heading involves measuring the magnetic field, and then correcting for the way the phone is tilted since that introduces pretty large errors. So there are a bunch of sensors involved, like the accelerometer and gyroscope, plus there's the natural variations from place to place which involves location data. It's a bit complicated and honestly it's impressive that this stuff works with tiny cheap components

Also android phones could have anything in them, because who looks at sensor specs when they're buying :pcgaming: Didn't one of the cheap motos lack a gyroscope? That kind of thing will affect your phone's ability to provide good consistent data without a bit of hand-holding

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well there's that feature where if you press the fullscreen icon you can skip the entire video...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

CLAM DOWN posted:

I would like this one too, but I wish I could dim/darken or add vignette or something, like other apps. Some of the wallpapers in this app make icons/text unreadable on my home screen.

I just use the Earth ones, some of the other categories have photos that just make for bad wallpapers - lots of sharp, oversaturated, busy images. Earth is usually good and it's kind of the stock android wallpaper style anyway

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You want a compressor/limiter, but I don't know if anything can hook in and manipulate other apps' audio streams like that

Play Music has a limiter going on, if you push any of the eq sliders too hard those frequencies will start to peak, and the overall volume will drop to get them under control. You can try it by listening to music and raising a slider - after a point it'll start to suck the energy out of the music instead of adding to it

That could be why you're getting major volume changes too - if you have the bass cranked and a bassy song is playing, it'll be 'quiet' because the other frequencies are reduced. If the next one has less bass it'll suddenly have headroom to turn everything up, and the other frequencies will be a whole lot more present. Ideally keep everything flat, or lower some bands instead of boosting the others. Might help, worth a go

I'm sure some player out there reads replaygain or whatever if you care about consistent volume. It's tricky to do 'live' though without loving with the song dynamics. Also you can drag the volume slider if you want more control eh. Also it's the podcast people's fault if they can't handle basic audio production, you shouldn't need to be compressing anything

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 3, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

rocket_Magnet posted:

I'll give this a go, but I don't hold out much hope it just seems to have a mind of it's own because it's simply correcting stuff that isn't even misspelled, or terms I use nearly every single day to random poo poo that I've never once typed. As I've said, it was drat near preternatural in it's corrections and predictions on the note 4/nexus 4 but now it's just terrible and actively hinders text conversations I try to have. I've simply resorted to just turning auto correct off altogether I got that frustrated with it in the last week. Even with with auto-correct off, the dictionary suggestions are dumber than a bag of hammers, where it's suggesting words that are 4-5 characters different from the word I've typed with one typo in.

You could try switching off the Next-word Suggestions option and the multilingual one if that applies - I think those are the notable changes in the newer keyboard that might make it behave differently

If you're swiping it can help to do loops and swirls instead of straight lines, but that applied to the old version too

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

I guess the other side of the coin though is that I don't expect perfection of the swiping component on Google's stock keyboard.

I do because it used to be perfect like magic, and now it comes out with garbage on the regular

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah at first it was super smooth and I was showing people like 'hey watch this, *swishswishswish* it's the stuff I just said!'

Then it started to get a lot less smooth, like it was having performance issues, so they were obviously messing with it. It's gone back to smooth for me but the prediction is nowhere near as good as it was. Sometimes I need multiple goes at some words with wildly different results, then I remember typing is a thing and just correct it myself

It's more that I get frustrating moments now that I never used to. I've turned off some of the new settings to see if it helps though, definitely feels better without multilanguage on

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

wormil posted:

I wasn't sure where to ask this so apologies if this isn't the right thread but I am trying to upgrade the sdcard in my Moto G4 from a 32gb to a 128gb and am not sure how to do it since there are apps installed on the old card. I googled but 99% of what I'm finding just tells you where to stick it and where the settings menu. The others say to copy the files to your computer but that won't work because it all looks like one drive to my computer. I'm probably not using the right search string because it's hard to imagine this is a rare scenario.

Did you adopt it as internal storage? If you go into Settings and the Storage section, it'll either show up under Device or Portable Storage. If it's portable you can just remove it. If it's under Device then you adopted it and it's combined with the internal storage as a single volume, you can't just swap it out

Apparently you can tap the Internal Storage bit and use a Migrate option to pull data back into internal storage. You'll need enough room to do this so you might need to delete things, clear caches and whatever. Once that's done there's apparently a Format as Portable Storage option if you go into the SD card's section in the storage menu, and then you can pop it out

e- I've never done any of this so imagine lots of handwaving

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's meant for putting a card in and leaving it there permanently. Having an option that moves all your stuff back to internal storage sounds like it makes stuff as painless as possible to be honest

It's like putting a second hard drive in your computer because the first one is too small, and linking them as a single volume - making Windows see them as a single drive with more space. You can't just pull it out later, important stuff is probably on there. Once you connect the two they're meant to stay together, like when you adopt an SD card as internal storage instead of removable

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

tjones posted:

I had to double check the image to make sure I didn't mis-see it. I could see where someone might be offended if it was in the direction of the hooked cross, but it isn't. It is ironic and comical that people would get upset over it.

This is dumb as heck

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oryp posted:

Hey all, are there any good/free apps to act basically as a parental control?

There's some stuff built into android and the play store, this basically covers it

Like it says, if you want stuff like browser filtering you'll need apps, but it depends what you want really

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

If you want to try Inbox just use it. It's just a different view of your Gmail account really, with some hooks into other Google stuff like reminders. You can use the Gmail app at the same time if you want. And when one gets dropped you'll already have a backup plan!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

DemonMage posted:

In what sense? I just scrolled chrome and Firefox back to back (but not side to side) and didn't notice anything particularly different, let alone jarring. Though I imagine that it's one of those things that once it bugs you, you just can't stop seeing it.

Firefox's scrolling is slow as hell. As soon as I installed it I went digging through the stupid about :config stuff trying to find something that would make it less like swimming in mud. Chrome/webview stuff lets you fling the page nice and fast, Firefox makes your thumb work for it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Zerilan posted:

Anything notably good in terms of ad detection poo poo? Haven't installed anything new in awhile but recently started getting full screen pop-up ads randomly including when using awful app and on the home screen, and can't tell what's causing it.

Uh

I think you have bigger problems than needing an ad blocker

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Android looked like trash the three times they tried a dark theme (Gingerbread, Honeycomb, and Ice Cream Sandwich) so why should they do it again? All it does is make things gloomy and difficult to read and it certainly turns more people off than is necessary.

Actually they added a new type of app theme that can switch between light and dark a year ago, and they're anticipating a system-wide setting for if and how the user wants to use night mode. They were messing with it in the Nougat betas but it pretty much all got removed, probably wasn't ready

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's a Google Now on Tap thing - hold the Home circle, it does its thing then hit the Share button at the very bottom. Works on the home screen too! But you'll have to actually share it to something if you want to keep it, it doesn't just save in the Screenshots folder like the button combo

If you're having trouble with the buttons at the same time, make sure you press power before the volume one. You still need to be pretty quick but it seems more forgiving