Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I'm new to the android scene and was using Dolphin as my default browser for awhile. Been using Chrome the last couple of days after a friends recommendation though and I'm a little happier with it since Dolphin seemed to slow down and lock up a lot. I was wondering if there's any other browser that is unanimously favored. The one thing I liked about Dolphin was that I could have my favorite links on the front page, same as Safari on ios. Is there a way to do this with Chrome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

LastInLine posted:

The NTP has a link to bookmarks at the bottom left and should have your most-visited sites underneath the Google logo. You can also make a list of bookmarks you'd like just for your phone in the Mobile Bookmarks folder and Chrome will open to it when you hit the bookmarks button.

I should've mentioned that I purely use Chrome on my phone, so I'm wondering if there's a way go have my favorites/bookmarks immediately on startup instead of having to press a couple buttons to get to my bookmarks.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

vyst posted:

I don't think I've ever calibrated my compass

I had no idea that was still a thing.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Nova Launcher Prime is on sale today for $0.99. There's supposed to be some "big announcement" coming from the dev in a few hours, but it's probably just going to be something dumb like free themes.

Thanks for this, I've been on the fence for this for awhile. Glad I picked it up. The only thing I wish I could change is the font size of my widgets while using Nova, they are larger than when using the stock Galaxy S7 launcher. Anyone know how to fix this?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I just started using Moon Reader. Is it recommended to upgrade to Pro, or are the ads not too annoying?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
What's the best video editing app? I downloaded the stock Samsung app, but it's not exporting an edited video in 60fps as the original video was recorded in. Unless I'm completely missing something.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

stevewm posted:

You can use it to pay for a Youtube Red subscription, which also includes Google Music. $9/month. It is what I do with mine. When you sign up for either service, it will let you pick your Google Play balance as a payment method. (it also works the other way around, if you subscribe to Google Music, it includes Youtube Red, price is the same of course)

I am a huge Youtube nerd.. and now that I have experienced ad-free Youtube everywhere on every device, I simply cannot go back.

When I signed up for YouTube Red I did it through my iPad which set payments through my apple id. Now that I've got rid of all my apple devices, what's the easiest way to set up the payments to be made through Google so I can take advantage of using my Google Play balance? Would I just have to unsubscribe, then re-subscribe through Google?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

stevewm posted:

If you have a Android phone or tablet, you can change payment methods inside the YouTube app. Tap on your account icon in the top right, then tap my YouTube red, then scroll to the bottom and pick update payment method. You can pick a credit card or your play balance there.

Don't know if that will work in your particular situation having previously paid via Apple.

Apparently paying through Apple requires different steps in order to switch. Basically I had to unsubscribe through iTunes, and then I'll have to resubscribe once my current sub ends. Also I had no idea Apple charges an additional 30% for subscriptions (I was paying $13 a month). Seriously, gently caress Apple!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
For anyone that uses their Play Store credit towards a Youtube Red subscription, do you have to have the full monthly amount pre-loaded into your account in order to pay? Or can you have whatever's in your account added towards the bill, and the rest paid through Paypal?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Downloaded and subscribed to Dark Sky, and I really like the design and widget. I normally have location services turned off, and now the widget only displays the message "Please enable location services". Is there a way to have the app default to a specific location for it to use? Or do location services have to be enabled at all times in order for the widget to work?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Molten Llama posted:

The Current Conditions widget? Yep, you can pick a location when you add it. Hit "Search" instead of accepting "Current Location." By default they'll all display weather for your current location, since "hyper-local short term forecasts" is Dark Sky's thing, and that obviously requires knowing where you are.

(I believe you can do the same for most if not all of the other widgets too.)

That did it, thanks!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Scudworth posted:

Who else is getting ads in Gmail, I'm not and I've never seen this and now I'm curious

I always have ads in Gmail app. As Tunga said, they're never in my Primary folder though, only in tabs like Social and Promotions. I always thought it was weird to have ads in a Google app, especially the main email app.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Granted the only other Google app I use is Maps, but even then I don't see blatant ads like in Gmail. At least not any that stick out to me, I just may be glossing over them since they don't stick out as much as in the Gmail app.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Drone posted:

-Lightweight eBook reader (epub/mobi/pdf)

Moon+ Reader is really good.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Are there any decent or recommended apps for rating/cataloging movies and tv shows you've watched? I really like using the website Criticker.com, and was hoping there was an app equivalent.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

LastInLine posted:

I use this and have no complaints.

This is linking to a calender widget?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I'm getting tired of the official Twitter app working like poo poo. What's a good unofficial app?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Cool, thanks everyone. Guess I'll check out Fenix 2 and Talon for now.

Also,

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress twitter.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
When I had a jailbroken iPhone I was able to add passcodes to individual apps, and I miss this capability. Is there any way to do this, or any decent apps that add this function?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Anybody use bxActions to remap the bixby button? I mainly want to have the button pause/resume any media playback while the phone is locked, but bxActions will only perform this action if the phone is unlocked. Is there something I'm missing, or is this feature locked behind the $2.99 pro version?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm dreading the day they force the switch from Google Music > Youtube Music.

And that'll be the day I start using Spotify.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I think around 2011-ish I gave Spotify a try. Every song I streamed was somehow being downloaded to my phones internal storage as well (same thing happened to a friend who was using the app too). After about a week of using it my storage said Spotify was taking up ~1GB. Does it still do this, or was I stupid and forgot to uncheck some setting?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Annath posted:

Spotify caches songs as you play them to minimize data usage in case you want to listen to them again as well as to buffer if your mobile network is poor. It only keeps a certain number of the most recently played songs.

If you specifically tell it to make a song/songs available offline, it permanently caches those songs separately from the streaming cache, and keeps them indefinitely until you tell it to stop keeping them.

Is the option available to turn off storage caching all together? I have unlimited data and have never had to worry about my data usage.

Also I guess phone storage space has increased a lot more in the past 8 years, so I really shouldn't have to worry about that either if the app only caches a certain amount.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Ok, seems like Twitter likes showing me tweets from people I don't follow more than tweets from those that I do. Is there any Twitter app that won't junk up my feed with poo poo from people I don't actively follow?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Kheldarn posted:

If you or a family member purchased it before it ran out of Tokens, there's Flamingo (a family member who purchased it can add it to Family Sharing, and then you can use it). If you didn't, that link will be a Not Found link. The other Twitter app I recommend is Fenix 2.

If you care about Twitter Polls, note that because of Twitter being assholes, they disabled access to polls in their API, so no 3rd party client will have them.

I used to use Fenix, until it ran out of tokens and the dev abandoned it for Fenix 2, then I switched to Flamingo. Though it's out of tokens, it still gets occasional updates. I enjoy both.

The only time I see tweets from someone I don't follow is when someone I do follow retweets someone I don't follow.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Can anyone actively using Fenix 2 confirm it only shows tweets from followers and nobody else? Or at least much less than usual?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

effika posted:

Twitter app: tap on the 3 stars at the top, to the right of where it says Home. It'll ask if you want to switch to latest tweets first. This keeps your timeline chronological and does not show you tweets others liked etc.

It resets every time the app updates, but it is an easy switch at least.

Thanks for the tip. Less tweets from those that I don't follow, but now half my feed is ads somehow. Guess I can't win.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Seeing some recommendations on reddit for Windy and Today Weather. Any goon approvals?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Kheldarn posted:

Ya'll should just be using the Google Weather Frog.

Where's the widget?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

ThermoPhysical posted:

(crosspost from Android thread)

Engadget: Google Play Music will start shutting down in September.
https://www.engadget.com/google-play-music-shutdown-end-of-2020-150006046.html

In September (Australia and New Zealand) and October (for everyone else), Google Play Music will stop working and you will no longer be able to stream music (or probably play local music).

Users have until December to port music over to YouTube Music.

After December, all data for GPM will be purged.

Google will also shut down music in the Play Store meaning that they will no longer sell music. You will be able to buy music elsewhere to upload to YTM though.

First Dark Sky, now GPM??? I've only ever used YT Music once before, and definitely prefered GPM. Guess I'll learn to live with it.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Transferred all my stuff from GPM to YTM, which was a very simple process, and I'm finding the app to be not that bad. I usually only stream music stations while I'm doing yardwork or grilling, and so far it seems like this will fit that need.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

null_pointer posted:

Shadow Weather has just been dogshit, lately.

It was pouring yesterday afternoon and Shadow Weather had zero indication of it, showing sunny weather throughout. Was kind of surprised it showed nothing.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I just noticed the Flixster app is no longer available on android. Any decent recommendations for movie reviews?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

EricBauman posted:

God I hate all podcast apps so much.

Google Podcasts finally made its export tool available in Europe as well, so the end really is coming.

Having checked out maybe a dozen apps again today, I just hate all of them!
I don't want 'Explore' or 'Discover' or 'Trending' on the home page. I don't want any community features. I just want to see the latest god drat episodes of podcasts I signed up for right away!
I want to be able to create a queue and add episodes to it, and I want to be able to mark episodes as played.

I know everyone is going to say Antennapod is the best, but I bounced very hard off their interface after trying to use it for a few days. Just doesn't work for me.

I really hope someone will have the good sense to just create a Google Podcasts clone. I'd pay good money for that

Been using Podcast Addict for years, I've never seen recommendations or trending. App opens to all the podcasts I've subscribed to and does all the things you want.