Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

My GMail box is out of control. I get a poo poo ton of emails in my inbox in addition to the other folders and lately I've been missing important stuff. My thought is to set up some rules on my Gmail account to forward certain emails to another email address with push capability so I can set that app to vibrate my phone and watch. I'm open to more elegant options though. Anyone used an app to solve a similar issue? Perhaps something like this?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hermes.enotifylite

You're the exact use case for Inbox. It exists for another 12 days.

You should be able to set up notifications based on your Gmail labels, or did that go away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Sextro posted:

But seriously. What email app best suits my needs of: I get way too many emails, I read none of them and they're all irrelevant except for plucking out tracking numbers/travel info that Assistant missed, and I hate being in front of a desk so the mobile/app version needs to be fully featured.

Outlook doesn't have bundles and snoozing is working strangely in Android, but it does sort emails into important and not important buckets. The app works well with Outlook.com (of course), and you don't need an account there to use the app.

I use it for work and it is nowhere near Inbox, but I find it better than Gmail app plus special web link to view the full site.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Echophonic posted:

The more I use Spark, the less I like it. The notifications are really finicky and they don't re-update if emails are removed from someplace else.

I also don't like how much the emails jump around on the screen.

I wonder if it's one of those apps that work better on iOS. I never have trouble with Outlook on iOS but its snoozing is so broken on Android I'm sending videos to escalated support about it. At least I know someone is looking at it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

gariig posted:

The Google Calendar website can do all of that. You can duplicate an event and edit the new one. Gmail can be setup to put items into your Calendar but it's pretty unreliable to do automatically.

See that's part of the problem. Google has crippled apps but quite decent web stuff, and for a lot of us getting to a desktop every time we need to do something just isn't convenient.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I need the wind chill forecast for work and link to various NWS pages because I can't get an app to give me that in a nice graph the way they do with their hourly weather forecast.

Dark Sky is nice and Weather Underground has a nice enough widget & seems to have solved their "crash when requesting location" bug.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm looking for a recipe book app. Something I can add/store my own recipes as I want to get rid of my gravy-stained paper recipe cards. I don't really care about all the ones that have a search to find other recipes and save them, etc, I want to store my own only and be able to search, etc. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

I made some OneNote notebooks. I can store the recipes, take notes, add pictures, search them, tag stuff, etc. Did a few custom styles so everything looks like I want it to. Has been working really well.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Twitter app: tap on the 3 stars at the top, to the right of where it says Home. It'll ask if you want to switch to latest tweets first. This keeps your timeline chronological and does not show you tweets others liked etc.

It resets every time the app updates, but it is an easy switch at least.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
No widgets, but I made a shortcut to the NWS Hourly Weather Graph web page for my location and that has served most of my needs, with Google taking up the slack for current temperature quick viewing.

Weather Underground killed their widgets so now I just have a shortcut to the NWS forecast page for my location so I can get the wind chill/heat index, too.

I guess weather just isn't profitable :(

effika
Jun 19, 2005

spincube posted:

99% of my GPM listening is 'shuffle my thumbs-up playlist' - so rather than mess around with the original files I downloaded the playlist contents from GPM, re-uploaded the MP3s to a folder in Google Drive, and used up some survey money on CloudPlayer for my phone. Works a treat so far: it pre-caches the tags and artwork, it supports offline copies of albums/playlists/whatever, and it integrates with Android Auto as well. Solid recommendation.

Oh man, DoubleTwist makes it--that's a blast from the past!

Thanks for the recommendation.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

LonelyMudkip posted:

Hey, sorry if this is dumb but I'm having trouble with the whole Google Play Music situation. I only ever used it to buy, download and listen to music and never touched the streaming stuff, so the switch to YT Music is a real pain in the rear end and I'm probably gonna have to find a new app to use. I live rurally and between spotty coverage, outages, and limited data, streaming isn't a super great option.

Since Music Manager is no longer available, I've used Google Takeout to download my Play Music data but now I've just got a bunch of loose MP3s and CSVs and I have no idea what to do with it. Is there an easy way to sort this mess out?
Also, any recommendations for music players if I only want to play local files?

PowerAmp is a great local music player. If it seems to complicated at first try a different skin, and play around with the settings. It is as fancy or as plain looking as you wish. There's a free version but it's worth the cash.

I gave up on the exported playlists, and just used the file folders and file names as a guide to recreate them.

The loose mp3s I didn't deal with as I had all my music mirrored locally anyway. If it is anything like the playlist situation a lot of the data will be in the file names and flat files. Make sure you aren't missing any mp3s- Google Play Music wound up sending me only csv files for about a third of my music, stuff I can only imagine it had deleted as a duplicate. I suggest getting a music library manager
for your desktop to sort through everything and re-tag as needed.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I see discussions about GPM and YTM and spotify, but does anybody actually have a recommendation for a good music player strictly for local files? I just can't deal with YTM and I don't have that large of a music collection anyway.

Poweramp for sure.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
If you are in an area covered by the NWS and your office has a handle on you local weather, put a shortcut to the hourly weather graph on your homescreen. It's not a widget, but it will have all the data at-a-glance with one tap. (I have it set to show in desktop mode because for some reason the mobile site won't show it.) It's what I moved to when nothing else quite did the job of WeatherUnderground's old graph widget.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Fart of Presto posted:

Uh, so I go in and check if our local Danish COVID app got an announced update today, and I see this announcement/ad from Shazam. It's the first time I've seen something like this in the updates screen:

I used Shazam about a week ago, so it's not that it hasn't seen use in a while. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Fully updated Pixel 2XL running complete standard apps

It's legit. Google is an ad company and decided to make using their own aps even more annoying. I guess they got jealous of Samsung!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Yeah real glad I use a custom launcher and can change those icons to something more distinctive.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

If I want to locally host music files on my phone and stream them via bluetooth to my car stereo what are some good options? I'd create some playlists, want to be able to search by album, artist, play everything in a big rear end random order. I don't mind paying if needed. Previous to now I've been using Google Music but of course that got canned so wondering what's out there.

I like Poweramp a lot. Have to import/export playlists for it since it won't hook into the system playlists for whatever legacy reasons, but it is extremely powerful and customizable otherwise. I paid $4 for it many years ago and happily would again.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Harlock posted:

I knew Google killed Google Play Music a few months ago but it wasn't really an issue for me until today when I wanted to cast some local file music to my TV. YouTube Music hates this for some reason, so I need a replacement app.

Any suggestions on what yall may use for local file in-house casting?

Poweramp can send to chromecast. At least I have a button for it. Not near a chromecast to check right now though.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

dxt posted:

Is there a recommended weather app now that Arcus is dead?

1Weather is working well for me. I also have shortcuts to the website for my NWS office since they have better graphs.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Does the Android swipe navigation play nice with third party launchers like Nova launcher now, or is that still broken? Running on a Pixel 5 with latest public Android OS if that matters.

Pixel 5, latest public non beta Android, been using Nova for a very long time now with Google's gestures. Works great.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I don't think I remember this happening with the At a Glance widget before. I use Nova Launcher and had to remove padding to get the temperature to show fully. I guess nobody thought of Wednesday when testing!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I make my browser pretend to be a desktop so Facebook will let me use messenger that way. I don't really use FB messenger much though.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I mostly just need Nova for the nicer icon choices, widget resizing and finer grid control-or at least that's what I think I use it for. I guess I'll find out what I actually want as I try out more launchers like it's 2013!

:negative:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Yeah I'm trying the Pixel launcher again and I'll adapt. I hate the scrunched up left-hand non-removable Google Now widget (the old 5x2 widget looks so much better), but until I settle on something else this one will Work. Good to know it'll transfer over if I get another Pixel too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Quixzlizx posted:

Anyone have a good up-to-date alarm clock app rec? I used to use Timely, but apparently it's so old and abandoned that it's not officially supported by Android 12.

*taps the thread title*

AMDroid is what you want. It's not named very well so I get missing it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

nielsm posted:

Any recommendations for an app to crop and resize pictures?

Also, I realized it'd be neat to get a sound alert when the phone is charging and at maybe 90% and then 100%. Does anything like that exist?

Photo Editor is really nice if you need more than what Google Photos can do.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been using itunes for my ancient ipods for a long, long time. now that I've switched from those to using my phone for media playing at work(due to the ipods all stopped working), I need a new media player for my samsung galaxy S22 ultra, one that I can import my itunes library + playlists to and sync up with my phone from my PC, if that's possible. Do any of the ones in the OP do that, or is there one that does? I'd rather not have to rebuild all my playlists from scratch if I can help it.

MediaMonkey should be able to do that, if I remember correctly. Can't remember if that feature is premium or not, though.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I got back in to podcasts now that I have Pixel Buds with my Pixel 7. I am using BeyondPod and the audio keeps dipping out for half a second, randomly l, like it was pausing for a notification sound or something.

I can't figure out what search phrase to use to get help. Alternatively, what podcast app should I be using that doesn't cut out constantly like this?

EDIT: I think BeyondPod is dead now? I found AntennaPod and it does not have this problem at all. Seems to work just fine with Android 13 on a Pixel 7. Problem solved!

effika fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 22, 2022

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I just want a keyboard that doesn't autocorrect "in" to "on" and vice-versa while autocorrecting all the other words.

I am giving Gboard another shot right now, as Swiftkey is really aggressive lately. I miss the punctuation shortcut and the long-press spacebar to move the cursor ability, but so far it's a lot better than I remember. Back in 2020 when I got my Pixel 5 it was unusable but now it's fine. We'll see if I stick with it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

sourdough posted:

Gboard has long press space to scroll cursor, and I don't know exactly what punctuation shortcut you want but long press . and see if that does what you want.

I got the cursor to go left & right so that'll do!

Swiftkey has this thing where long pressing the . key and sliding over gives access to !, ?, and ,. It's really convenient. But I'll put up with a lot not to have in and on swapped.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

What Twitter replacements are recommended these days? I usually just used the official app in the past but the promotional ads have skyrocketed lately and its insufferable now.

Log in through the web via Firefox plus uBlock Origin. It works extremely well and there aren't any gross ads for horrible products, because you've blocked them all!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Kassad posted:

^^ I'm also not seeing that button on my 6a

I do that but lately I've had this issue where all outgoing fail to load (because something seems to block t.co URLs, haven't been able to find what). Do you have the same thing happening to you?

No issues so far. I've noticed Firefox doesn't work very well with VPNs and if there's a redirect it'll fail to load because Firefox decided it took too long. So if you're using a VPN that might be it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Gromit posted:

Is there a very lightweight shopping list app? I currently use Check Off, but it takes a few steps to remove an entry from the list, rather than just one press or swipe. I don't want any bells or whistles, just a simple list that maximises screen space and lets me quickly add and remove/reorder entries. No cloud integration, fancy pictures or clever reminders.

Maybe even a todo list would work? But those I've seen have lots of reminders, deadlines etc and take up lots of screen space.

Google Keep has checkboxes that work pretty well. And you can uncheck them later if you have staples you get each time.

I used to use ColorNote and you may like that too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Is there a decent PDF viewer that supports layers? No need to edit, just toggle layers.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

field balm posted:

OK I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly, but I've got a trip coming up and I'd like to be able to have some sort of wiki like thing where I can have different pages for different cities and then on those pages have text and inline images (loads of screenshots off instagram, web pages etc). Probably some sort of note app that let's you include images?

I guess I could just chuck the screenshots in folders but I'd like to be able to annotate etc as well.

OneNote would work for this

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I like the widgets for 1Weather but the app is full of trashy clickbait bullshit and I refuse to tap into it anymore.

My local mesonet has a pretty good app but I find the widgets lacking; you may check for your state to see if you have something like that.

Weather Underground has some OK widgets and an OK app but I remember their early days before IBM and how much better it was then. They have been steadily fixing bugs and the app's in decent state these days.

I like RadarScope for radar.

If you're in the US, the National Weather Service fixed a lot of their local forecast office pages so they look good on mobile. A shortcut to that plus the Google Today widget may be all you need. (or whatever they call that now, the thing that has current weather and upcoming reminders etc).

effika fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 7, 2023

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Trabant posted:

Hello thread. Are the OP recs for wallpaper needs (Muzei, Tapet) still good ones or should I go with something else? I have the Samsung default video lock screen and the matching wallpaper. Ideally whatever app I use would manage both, like a theme. For I am very lazy, you see.

I'm happy with geometric designs, colour gradients, and otherwise abstract designs, in case it makes a difference. Any suggestions?

Tapet is still good. They've added a lot of fun designs over the years. Plus it can save to a folder and you can sync it with Google Photos.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
For us, it was a specific AT&T tower that seemed to not deliver mms to one specific number about half the time.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Uthor posted:

Is there an app/widget to quickly see the air quality in my area? I got an alert a couple of weeks ago from the fallout from the fires in Canada, then an icon in my Google weather widget for a couple of days, then nothing. Just been looking at random websites that are annoying to use on my phone. We've been mostly in the yellow "moderate" level, but hit the orange "unhealthy for sensitive groups" a few times. It's not as bad as others have dealt with, but I like to check it before heading out for a hard bike ride. And it would be important if I happened to be in that sensitive group.

WeatherUnderground and OneWeather both have air quality listed in the opening pages of their apps - just scroll a bit. I can't think of any widgets that do right now, but I know they used to exist.

If your state mesonet has an app, they may have air quality listed front & center too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Does anyone know how to get the top notification to stop displaying every time I get a reminder in Tasks?

I went to the notification settings for it but I'm not sure if stopping the "Reminders and Tasks" channel is the thing to do.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

nielsm posted:

For me that looks like you should disable the notifications from Assistant.

That did it. Thanks for the reassurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

Mine stopped telling me it a day or two after ported all my reminders into tasks fwiw

Mine's been like that for two weeks. I don't know why it wouldn't go away.