Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
voted jay/washington, death to states rights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

JosefStalinator posted:

I'm genuinely curious how goons will handle William Jennings Bryan (aka our Emperor until Debs starts running).

my only emperor is norton :colbert:

speaking of, can we please cast ballots for norton in the election of 1860?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Someday John Jay will President.

Someday :smith:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

if adams wins again Jefferson needs to launch another revolution of a confederacy of southern states imo

hanging the wretched traitor would give me the greatest of joys

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Hooray for John Jay :unsmith:

I guess I'll vote for Pinckney and just pray and hope he gets killed allowing Rufus to be president

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

the_paradigm_shift posted:

Pinckney/King mostly for the alt-history aspect and I'll be damned if I vote for a slaveowner

I've got some bad news....

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
the previous four elections?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Jeffersons only hope of winning was to pass that bullshit 12th amendment, John Adams forever!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The hell with it, James Monroe come on down!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

oystertoadfish posted:

this is probably the period where america came closest to being a one-party state so i guess it makes sense

no that would be the era of good feelings when we actually were a one party state

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

karmicknight posted:

SA Decides, 1788-2000: "Shoot Henry Clay and Hang John C. Calhoun"

can i preemptively vote for doing this?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Holding my nose for King/Ross. What a lovely election year.

yeah but we'll get to elect JQA a half dozen times soon

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Octatonic posted:

I feel like we are now starting to enter the period of US history I know the least about. Like, the civil war, I get, the 20th century, I get, but the politics of this period and its actors seem kind of alien to me. It's such a completely different country in the early 19th century -- expansionist and vulnerable (and genocidal), but not yet a major player in regional or world affairs. What really is the point that the US stops being a wayward British colony, and starts being its own thing on the world stage? Did it happen at all before the (end of the) First World War?

this might just be because the ACW is the period i know the most about but I feel the conclusion of the civil war did it. industrialization was kicking off (during a massive war no less), we had inaugurated the age of iron warships and with the south conquered we brow beat Napoleon the 3rd out of Mexico

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
but where will the nation get its supply of jackson quotes from :ohdear:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

QuoProQuid posted:

god drat menshaviks

An image of the future...

Taft forever

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
welcome aboard president for life John Quincy Adams, may death come quickly to his enemies

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

troubled teen posted:

Good thing we put him on our money for some reason.

putting jackson on the twenty is the greatest historical troll of all time and i salute whoever came up with it all those decades ago

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
andrew jackson isnt actually in hell, he's in a level of purgatory where to survive he has to buy everything with fiat money

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

QuoProQuid posted:

Presidential Nominee: Henry Lee
  • Party Affiliation: Federalist Party
  • Notable Positions: Adviser to Secretary of the Treasury Albert Gallatin
  • Biography: Henry Lee is a prominent American economist who affiliates with the Ricardian economics, which rejects mercantilism and instead embraces the theories of comparative advantage and specialization. Though not well-known in his native Massachusetts, Lee is popular in England, where he provides an American perspective on British economic policy. In 1830, Lee ran unsuccessfully for a seat in the House of Representatives. His opponent, Nathan Appleton, later wrote the Tariff of 1832.
  • Platform: Reflecting the disorganization of the Nullifier Party, Henry Lee is not aware that he has been nominated and disagrees with John Floyd on almost every policy issue. Floyd is a Northerner who opposes slavery and a Federalist, who believes in a robust, centralized national government. Lee’s only credential for the party is his opposition to tariffs. During the Adams and Jackson administrations, Henry Lee advocated for free trade and assisted Secretary of the Treasury Albert Gallatin articulate his opposition to the American System. His position on all other issues is unknown.

Lee's the one, I like the look of him.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

GlyphGryph posted:

Why is he not an option in the poll???

He is, he's just listed after his less photogenic vice president

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

UberJew posted:

depends on if op decides to throw all the plausible nominees for the republican party that election in

chaos reigns

team of rivals is a good book

having democrats/republican/constitutional union primaries as a prelude could be fun

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I disagree. I think it would be a wonderful ending to this thread if we wrapped all the elections into a cohesive narrative.

here you go:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

this election is a wash, next please

yeah i can't see this lincoln guy winning in a landslide, john bell forever!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

axeil posted:

i'll vote for anyone who went fiat money. did anyone seriously entertain fiat money before the mid-20th century?

Secretary Chase during the civil war

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Are we going to get the chance to vote on the president of the CSA?

well it'd have to be for the provisional president of the csa as no one opposed Davis in the actual election

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Platystemon posted:

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that the Russian fleet in San Francisco didn’t do much to help the blockade. Maybe we should take another look at their ulterior motives.

there was actually a confederate raider that made its way up to Alaska and captured a decent chunk of the American whaling fleet

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Grant wasn't corrupt himself and cracked down hard on corruption in his administration when it was found (except for the one time he perjuried himself at his secretary's trial whoops). he just picked really lovely people as friends and after his death, lost cause-ism set out to wreck his reputation

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Between the proto-communist, the suffragists, and grant this might be the closest election we've ever had

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Grant killed the klan and that's why I'm voting for him

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Cross posting from the historical facts thread.

it is mildly humorous that it took until 1863 to find a guy that could grasp such a basic concept

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

oystertoadfish posted:

i think i heard once that the main reason mcclellan was so popular with his troops was because he basically tried as hard as he could to avoid having any of them killed. which is fair enough

not just having more guys but grant was also the first guy to lose a battle and be like 'ok ill just dig in right here in southern virginia at Shiloh, gently caress you' instead of running away. to simplify a bit

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

SpRahl posted:

McClellan also had a bad habit of believing the rebel army was always ten times bigger than his own. Some of the numbers he threw around for Confederate troop strengths were mind boggling.

to be ever so slightly fair to him, pinkerton (yes that pinkerton) also deserves some of the blame with his shitass spy network

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
full communism now and a book of free rolling papers for every citizen? green's got my vote

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

GlyphGryph posted:

What this thread has taught me was that Grant was one of the shittiest US Presidents in a long line of US Presidents. I can't believe you assholes voted this crook in for a second term.

i'm sorry i must be reading something wrong because US grant is actually a top 5 president in a list that includes william henry harrison

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
a pity the greenback party never took off outside of goontime

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
well theres also that charles guiteau has no reason to shoot weaver

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Let's go Benjamin "spoons" "the beast" Butler

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Do I vote for a corrupt racist, a corrupt rapist, a guy who legalized rape or the prohibitionist?

fwiw butler's order p much just authorized soldiers to be rude right back at southern women

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Andorra posted:

"[Fisk] thinks current immigration laws should be enforced and supports neither strengthening or laxening current immigration law."

What were the current laws?

chinese go home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Empress Theonora posted:

Is Burr the only sitting Vice President or President to actually personally kill somebody while in office?

well Cheney certainly gave it the old college try

• Locked thread