Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Adams and Adams is the true ticket, lets elect a dynasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

I can't wait till we get past the civil war I feel too many decisions are based on how the person feels about slaves because...yeah.

Well speaking of slavery were there any serious movements after the war to "bring it back" or something?

Ibogaine posted:

Yeah, I can't wait to switch from the "Abolish Slavery!" platform to the "Full Communism Now!" one, either.
Eugene Debs the eternal president.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Octatonic posted:

I mean, yeah, but still better imo than Andrew "Genocide rulz" Jackson.

E: i talk big on the Internet because if we had ever met, homeboy probably would have shot me.

Pretty much the only reason to vote Jackson is fear that the fucker would rise from the grave and personally shoot you, because thats something he would do.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

troubled teen posted:

Good thing we put him on our money for some reason.

If it helps that fact would probably piss him off to no end.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

lol. I hope you are ready for 1832.

Im predicting an Anti Masonic Party upset for that.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Corek posted:

Wild Willie Wirt is the only non-slavelover of the bunch, so I agree. (he's also not a Natural Born Citizen, but I digress)

That didn't stop Chester Arthur :v:.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

Vote Clay to not wipe out native Americans any more than we already have!

Vote Anit Masonic, don't screw over the Indians too much AND stop the Illuminati from laying the seeds for their one world government.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Honestly given the Anti-MAsonic coup last election how can we not vote for William Henry Harrison? He is the only candidate to firmly commit himself to be wholeheartedly against freemasonry.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Carrasco posted:

So in the SA Timeline, have the Freemasons and anything even remotely related to them been destroyed so thoroughly that no one even thinks it could be them, or does everyone who blames Masons think Daniel Webster's election halted Ellmaker's righteous campaign prematurely?

The Freemasons are always plotting, always lurking in the shadows constant vigilance is required citizen!

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
I vaguely remember reading in a book that at the time of his election Taylor was lukewarm towards the South but by the end of his presidency he had gotten so sick of their poo poo so much he just started essentially trolling them.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
I am kinda curious just how many civil wars we have probably triggered with our goon elections.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

CuwiKhons posted:

Well we didn't vote Washington into office so probably just that first one, and America hasn't been a united country since.

Well I meant more each separate individual election we aren't running a continuous timeline, after all if we were clearly America would be a monarchy under the Adams Dynasty :v:.
I figure a civil war at least every other election is probably a safe bet.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

karmicknight posted:

Oh god, eight terms of Adams might have caused the nation to collapse under the weight of his many titles.

You think after 3 terms and a vice presidency he didnt somehow manage to work those titles into law? And maybe add a few new ones.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I mean i guess we should vote free soil, but we've already abolished slavery like 6 times. IDK, is there another fun party to vote for? I guess the dead guy.

We should have voted for Zach "hang the South" Taylor last election. Dead dude is definitely the comedy option though. This and the elections after it probably are not ones you want to consider for getting away from slavery politics since it seems everyone is either making it a central issue of their campaign or trying to be as blank a state as possible and have little to no actual platform that could potentially piss one side off.

QuoProQuid posted:

Presidential Nominee: Daniel Webster His positions are irrelevant, because he is dead.
If only someone had told the republicans that about Reagan. Also any samples of Reynell Coates poetry? Poetry on the Catholic problem sound like they'd be hilarious but then again probably not.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It is amazing that two parties are both engaged on running on a platform of having no platform because they are so internally divided. You can really make the case that the party is running because the party machine doesn't know how to stop.

Not only are there two parties running on "no platform" it is the two major parties that are doing that.

Mantis42 posted:

Please don't vote for the Southern Rights Party even as a joke. If you're wanting to mix things up from the usual abolitionists, then go for the dead guy. But Christ, Troup sounds like the biggest rear end in a top hat we've gotten yet.

If people wanted to mix things up they should have voted for the blank slate that adopted the policy of "gently caress the south" last election :colbert: maybe we can settle on Zach Taylor lite in Old Fuss and Feathers.

Edit: Also considering that Andrew Jackson, Calhoun and Clay are all dead by this point any other worthwhile quotes or phrases for the title?

SpRahl has issued a correction as of 07:05 on Mar 8, 2016

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hey, it's the Democrats who are pushing this weakass "no platform" platform. The Whigs are going with a platform of both abolitionism and pro-slavery (abolitionism first, of course).

Well the Whigs did it first last election with Taylor and tried to do the same thing with Scott, Old Fuss and Feathers however cannot keep his mouth shut.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
The sad thing is the Full Communism Now! block is going to result in one of our legit good presidents not being elected.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Well, I know that and you know that...

I think the important question for this universes electorate is, is he a free mason and what is his opinion of the pope?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Hey QuoProQuid nothing major but I just thought you should know you have the election labled as 1852 rather than 1856.

Franco Potente posted:

If this party's got foxy libertarian spinsters, it's got my vote. :grin:

Fremont/Dayton in '56.

Yeah its like the opposition is trying to get us to vote Freemont.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Personally I hope QuoProQuid will continue to inform us of everyone's Freemason membership status, the people have a right to know!

foobardog posted:

We've tried it fast, we've tried it slow, the South really needs to go!

Thinking of Fremont as their first candidate makes me a little sad for what the Republicans have become post-Civil Rights Act. gently caress, I think I'd take him today.

After they lose this election dont they absorb and pay lip service to the Know Nothings as a means to broaden support?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

He was a gay and gays are bad at being president.

I believe the term is "confirmed bachelor"

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

oystertoadfish posted:

i wonder if people were surprised when it turned out (if i remember my military history right) that fremont sucked as a civil war general

Eh sucked is a bit strong given the plethora of civil war generals you could easily say sucked (on both sides) he wasn't the greatest or anything maybe in the bottom 50% but not the rock bottom, but his greatest problem and the reason he was initially relieved of command was for antagonizing Missourians a tad too much and being way to vocally anti slavery at a time when the North was still afraid all the border states were going to cut and run to the Confederacy. His command history is a tad short for real comparison though given he basically quit the army early in the war.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

von Metternich posted:

Taylor was more popular than Scott because he got in huge bloodbath battles, whereas Scott was very careful and methodical in minimizing casualties, and Americans demand blood! Scott also correctly predicted how the civil war would go, which nobody else did at the time.

Didnt Sherman also?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

For their part, the South’s apoplectic reaction to Lincoln’s candidacy has caused large shows of support from abolitionist communities, who hope to elect Lincoln if only to spite slaveholders.

Ah yes spite, the greatest electoral motivator.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

fade5 posted:

So given that Lincoln is probably gonna win our election, now I'm wondering: when was the last time we voted for how history actually went? Or have we ever done so?

One of John Adams terms i think the third, Jefferson's second term and Quincy Adam's first term.

Although I guess Quincy Adams gets a asterix given the corrupt bargain and everything.

SpRahl has issued a correction as of 18:43 on Mar 20, 2016

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Man from this and other examples in this thread, political cartoons used to be amazing...

SpRahl has issued a correction as of 00:52 on Mar 23, 2016

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

UrbicaMortis posted:

I find it a little surprising. Not the racism itself but the fact they seemed to be on the side of the confederates. By the time of the civil war, slavery had been illegal for like 80 years on British soil, the slave trade was banned in 1807 and it was banned in every colony by 1843.

I think British support was less ideological and more practical they basically saw it as a opportunity to weaken the United States plus the South was a big trade partner for them. I think I remember reading that a lot of citizens in England had problems with their government unofficially supporting a slavery nation.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

What's bad about Grant, this seems open and shut to me

His administration was rife with corruption, although I think there was no real evidence tying him directly to it, his crime was more hiring the guys that engaged in it not profiting from it.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

So the perfect goon candidate is someone who wants to free the slaves and treat them equally, loves hard cider and loving the South, wants to root out the Freemason menace, launch a expedition to the center of the earth, might engage in freemounting and whos last name is Adams?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

AceRimmer posted:

Missed quite a bit of this thread, any entertaining ridiculous timelines or alternate history so far?

QuoProQuid posted:

In this timeline, the word "Americanize" is used to describe the process of fragmentation of a state into smaller, deeply hostile states. Also, the Balkans are a unified and peaceful place.

I think that about sums it all up.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
So we have a choice between them morally upstanding and pretty cool guy Grant who unfortunately has a corrupt as gently caress administration, a proto communist with poor views towards former slaves and does not want to gently caress the South, another Adams candidate! Who is sadly the vice presidential candidate and his running mate is a confederate sympathizer, and the Prohibition Party with great views like equality and womens suffrage but... no alcohol.

Man this might be the toughest election.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
But what does the coat of arms of the Adams dynasty look like?
Or did the election of Jay prevent the creation of a constitutional monarchy?

Edit:

Pakled posted:

$1.00 reverse side: A slave being freed
$5.00 reverse side: The state of Massachusetts
$10.00 reverse side: A Masonic temple burning down
$20.00 reverse side: Electors voting unanimously for the next president
$50.00 reverse side: Hard cider
$100.00 reverse side: An American expedition making peaceful first contact with the prosperous society living in the Hollow Earth.

"In God we Trust" has been replaced by "gently caress The South"

SpRahl has issued a correction as of 00:08 on Apr 22, 2016

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
McClellan also had a bad habit of believing the rebel army was always ten times bigger than his own. Some of the numbers he threw around for Confederate troop strengths were mind boggling.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

What this thread has taught me was that Grant was one of the shittiest US Presidents in a long line of US Presidents. I can't believe you assholes voted this crook in for a second term.

Nah Grant was a pretty cool dude in all honesty. Also the shittest president was Buchanan.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Mountaineer posted:

e: Gotta say, I don't care for Levi Morton though. I guess around now is when the Republicans are shifting from progressive stances to FYGM capitalism?

Eh they still got Teddy Roosevelt going for them.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Alikchi posted:

I'm guessing Debs wouldn't be down with being called "His Imperial Majesty, Lord-President of these United States and Protector of their Liberties". Gonna have to come up with a new title!

Moot point anyway since lets face it in our timeline after Adams narrowly lost his 4th term he probably staged a coup and created a monarchy anyway.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Alikchi posted:

Anybody else fool around in the Oval Office? I guess we wouldn't know.

In the goon timeline clearly Fremont the freemounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Well no matter how far you get this has been an amazing thread.

• Locked thread