Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Deporting the slaves doesn't seem like the best thought out policy but it's probably better than just having them continue to be slaves.

#FeelTheBirn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

For those of you with any interest in American history, the History Channel will be airing their new show, Join or Die tonight at 11:00/10:00c. The show stars former Late Late Show host, Craig Ferguson, and a random panel of historians, talking heads, and comedians as they discuss a particular historical topic. The first episode's topic is, "Worst political blunders," so stay tuned to see whether they discuss the Hartford Convention or Alexander Hamilton's ill-conceived crusade against John Adams.

All of these are pretty recent

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I feel like the whigs are the way to go this time, as a party that stands a decent chance in the real world and unlike the Liberty party, doesn't believe in spreading war.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Corek posted:

Also being a "dark cabal" doesn't jive with our opinion on Freemasons.

Sure it does, we just don't like that other cabal

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think the goon cabal's goals are mostly to cause chaos

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean i guess we should vote free soil, but we've already abolished slavery like 6 times. IDK, is there another fun party to vote for? I guess the dead guy.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

UrbicaMortis posted:

Kind of tempted to vote Southern Rights just to have an insanely ahistorical swing to right instead of left this time.

Yeah, I mean, why not? Also Quitman is kind of a funny name?

It would still probably start a civil war for what it's worth.

Southern Rights

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

not to tell you what to do but I think webster is more representative of your demographic

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

karmicknight posted:

Thread subtitles you say,
SA Decides, 1788 - 2000 "'Well, We Already Bought the Tickets' - Abraham Lincoln."
SA Decides, 1788 - 2000 "Free soil, Free labor, Free speech, Free men, Frémont"
edit: SA Decides, 1788 - 2000 "The Birth of the Grand Old Party"

Other than that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the show?

Jump King has issued a correction as of 16:58 on Mar 8, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Quorum posted:

we spent too much time fighting the fifteen civil wars over the abolition of slavery and mandatory hard cider.

We really have to stop reinstating slavery after each abolition

Or do you think it's just the south winning each time?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I voted for the south just so that could happen!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

this election is a wash, next please

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Finally the civil wars will be over

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Going all in on "Others"

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lincoln was decently "no more slavery" and the other choices are "a bit more slavery" and "as much slavery as possible" so I think Lincoln was winning this one regardless. I think his soft stance would be seen as an effort to win moderates and such, but who knows, if there was a free soil party we might have gone for that instead.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

idk, Canada's pretty cool

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh yeah, I actually genuinely hate Canada's smug brand of patriotism that downplays all internal problems in favour of blaming americans, I just wanted to be a prick. Canada had a huge amount of racism toward every creed and culture but we weren't as flashy about as you guys were so therefore we're a "good" country

MarsDragon posted:

In this thread we realise that all nations have problems and no one land, society, or people is perfect.

But we can at least agree that the south is objectively the worst

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

foobardog posted:

On one hand if you're lucky, and don't buck the trend, you can graduate to "one of the good ones", while you're always a "friend of the family" to the north.

Like the way I've seen it is that the North was for equality in general, but against it when it became specific, while the South was more accepting of it in specific cases, but had to hold on to be against it in general.

We are all sinners.

I think it's probably best explained in that the more actual black people there are around you, the more likely you are to have a black friend, but the places with the most black people tend to have the worst systemic racism. If you're not around people of any minority its much easier to other them on a personal level even if you are broadly for equality. In my limited understanding this is all applicable today at least.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

lambeth posted:

Lincoln is alright by me, but I don't trust Johnson at all. No Southern scoundrels in the White House, that's my opinion! I know he's getting on in years, but why couldn't Lincoln have picked a true believer again this time for VP like Thaddeus Stevens? Or even Benjamin Wade? Sigh, what could've been.

It's ok, he's just there to capture some votes, he's unlikely to ever hold any real power in Three Term Lincoln's presidency.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What's bad about Grant, this seems open and shut to me

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

jesus

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

If there's one thing America doesn't have, it's slaves. Or Masons. Or peace.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

"What did the future machine say?" "It keeps printing ABOLISH SLAVERY over and over again"

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Quorum posted:

(I assume hip-hop still exists)

Pretty sure we voted in some guy who had a platform of deporting all the slaves to africa so if hip hop does exist, it came about differently.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hm, an adams ticket bourbon party going up against suffragette prohibition party, tough call.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm going to give myself some time to weigh the options

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Bob Ojeda posted:

He's gonna die and Benjamin Brown seems cool

This is a good argument, Brown basically wants to do what grant does but with less corruption.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Empress Theonora posted:

if this thread ends reconstruction and un-wins the civil even sooner than real america did it would be proof for all time that goons are worthless imho

We've been winning the civil war for like 10 elections now

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Not really sure how I feel about a highly religious government though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ok you've almost won me over, but what do you think about the secret presidential choice Benjamin G. Brown?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I truly think Secret Candidate Ben Brown is a good choice here. Grant policies without corruption, seems more progressive in most ways actually. Although, I don't know what his policies are like toward Natives and the lack direct military experience might not help him there.

Probably if Greeley won the election, Ben Brown would not be supported by the electoral college and we'd either get a conservative rear end in a top hat or the split vote would allow Grant to win. Hard to say really.

I think I'm going to vote for the Prohibitionist party, it's certainly no weirder than some of the parties we elected, but this one might maybe bring good things.

How do we feel about bimetalism again? That's an issue I cannot wrap my head around.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

This is the worst election.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Well, I cast my vote. It was tough.

E: I already regret it

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cross posting from the historical facts thread.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Do I vote for a corrupt racist, a corrupt rapist, a guy who legalized rape or the prohibitionist?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Platform wise I like the greenbacks, but I figure america's gotta get prohibition out of the way at some point.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So looking up the whole "treat them as prostitutes" thing it appears that while it was a draconian and ridiculous action, it mostly covered the social aspect of respectable women being relatively immune from verbal or physical retaliation. So you know, that order is hilariously insulting and disrespectful and surely lead to violence against women, but appears to not quite be as bad as I was interpreting it before?

Looking into his rule in New Orleans is quite something though. He Confederacy considered him a war criminal and they've got a good argument for it. He was also notable for his anti-semitism.

On the flip side, during his time there, he was apparently very good for the poor in the area and his rather extreme tactics did contribute a lot to the union effort in the area.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

fwiw butler's order p much just authorized soldiers to be rude right back at southern women

Yeah I probably should have wrote "A dictator" or "A war criminal" instead there

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

IDK, for all the extremist tickets we voted for on the basis of their anti racism, I think I can give this one to Streeter for the women's rights stance alone. We should throw them a bone for once imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think it wasn't literally that, that would have been the strengthening?

• Locked thread