Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Welcome, to Something Awful Decides 1788-2000, the thread where you get to post, discuss, and mock Presidential candidates from across U.S. history. Each week, you will be told about a past election, have the opportunity to vote in it, and debate endlessly over which nominee is the least bad. It should be fun.

:siren: CLICK HERE FOR THE CURRENT ELECTION :siren:

Q: hi, what is this dumb thread about?

In this thread, I will be running mock Presidential elections for every election between 1788 and 2000. These elections will take one week, after which time I will announce the results and post the next election in the series.

In addition to providing a poll, I will give a brief background on every election and the candidates who served in it. You can use this thread to discuss these facts, encourage others to support your dream candidate, or complain about how every nominee is a literal monster. Depending on how successful this is, I might even post old political cartoons, campaign documents, and audio files.

Q: Okay, that sounds weird, but who will be included?

To make sure each election has some diversity, I will include every candidate that attained at least .05% of the national vote. I’ll mainly be using Dave Leip’s Atlas of Presidential Elections to determine who meets this criteria.

For elections before 1803, you will be able to vote separately for President and Vice President.

Q: How will you be conducting the poll?

Instead of setting up 54 different threads, I will be using Google Form to collect the results. If you know of a better service/ less abusable system, please let me know.

Q: How long will this thread be running?

Because I am consumed by self-loathing, I hope to keep this thread active until Election Day. I have already asked one of the moderators here to move the thread to Debate and Discussion if/when Election Erection closes.

Q: Hey, I disagree with how you represented a candidate. Can you fix that?

To avoid issues, I'll try to keep my background posts as simple as possible and avoid getting bogged down in inconsequential historical details. If you have an issue with how a candidate is presented or notice a mistake, I'll review the issue and decide whether to make a revision. Just keep me updated and be patient.

Q: Why are you doing this? What do you hope to accomplish?

I like history and want to be entertained.

I am also interested in the types of candidates that this board will elect. In its history, an enormous number of people have contended for high office. While some of these individuals have attractive platforms, strong managerial experience, and a network of backers, others have not. In certain elections, picking a candidate might entail sacrifices, either in policy or experience. The Prohibition Party, for example, once campaigned on a platform of civil rights, women’s suffrage, child labor laws, and the national prohibition of alcohol. Other parties might make wild promises, but provide no realistic way of achieving those ends.

I hope this project can generate discussion the types of candidates that are nominated and elected.

Helpful Resources:

Books
  • His Excellency by Joseph J. Ellis (George Washington)
  • First Family: Abigail and John Adams by Joseph J. Ellis (John Adams)
    • Burr by Gore Vidal (Aaron Burr)
    • Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow (Alexander Hamilton)
  • American Sphinx by Joseph J. Ellis (Thomas Jefferson)
  • Madison's Hand by Mary Sarah Bilder (James Madison)
  • The Last Founding Father by Harlow Giles Unger (James Monroe)
  • John Quincy Adams: American Visionary by Fred Kaplan (John Quincy Adams)
  • Andrew Jackson: His Life and Times by H.W. Brands (Andrew Jackson)
    • Henry Clay: The Essential American by David S. Heidler and Jeanne T. Heidler (Henry Clay)
    • John C. Calhoun and the Price of Union: A Biography by John Niven (John C. Calhoun)
    • Daniel Webster: The Man and His Time by Robert Remini (Daniel Webster)
  • Martin Van Buren and the American Political System by Donald Cole (Martin Van Buren)
  • Mr. Jefferson’s Hammer: William Henry Harrison and the Origins of American Indian Policy by Robert Owens (William Harrison)
  • John Tyler: The Accidental President by Edward Crapol (John Tyler)
  • Polk: The Man Who Transformed the Presidency and America by Walter Borneman (James Polk)
  • Zachary Taylor by John S. D. Eisenhower (Zachary Taylor)
  • Millard Fillmore by Paul Finkelman (Millard Fillmore)
  • BONUS: The Presidents' War: Six American Presidents And The Civil War That Divided Them by Charles DeRose (The Civil War and Buchanan, Tyler, Perice, Fillmore, and Van Buren)

Movies and Television
  • John Adams (Miniseries)
  • The Devil and Daniel Webster (1941)

Podcasts
Other

Election Directory

1788-89: John Adams (Federalist) / John Jay (Federalist), Announcement, Results
1792: John Adams (Federalist) / Aaron Burr (Democratic Republican), Announcement, Results
1796: John Adams (Federalist) / John Jay (Federalist), Announcement, Results
1800: John Jay (Federalist) / John Adams (Federalist), Announcement, Results
1804: Thomas Jefferson (Democratic-Republican) / George Clinton (Democratic-Republican), Announcement, Results
1808: Charles Cotesworth Pinckney (Federalist) / Rufus King (Federalist), Announcement, Results
1812: DeWitt Clinton (Democratic-Republican) / Jared Ingersoll (Federalist), Announcement, Results
1816: Rufus King (Federalist) / James Ross (Federalist) Announcement, Results
1820: DeWitt Clinton (Independent) / Daniel D. Tompkins (Democratic-Republican) Announcement, Results
1824: John Quincy Adams (Democratic-Republican) / John C. Calhoun (Democratic-Republican) Annoucement, Results
1828: John Quincy Adams (National Republican) / Richard Rush (National Republican) Announcement, Results
1832: William Wirt (Anti-Masonic) / Amos Ellmaker (Anti-Masonic) Annoucement, Results
1834: Amos Ellmaker (Anti-Masonic) / VACANT
1836: Daniel Webster (Whig) / Francis Granger (Whig) Annoucement. Results
1840: James Gillespie Birney (Liberty) / Thomas Earle (Liberty) Announcement, Results
1844: James Gillespie Birney (Liberty) / Theodore Frelinghuysen (Whig) Annoucement, Results
1848: Martin Van Buren (Free Soil) / Charles Francis Adams, Sr. (Free Soil) Announcement, Results
1852: John P. Hale (Free Soil) / George Washington Julian (Free Soil) Announcement, Results
1856: John C. Frémont (Republican) / William L. Dayton (Republican) Announcement, Results
1860: Abraham Lincoln (Republican) / Hannibal Hamlin (Republican) Announcement, Results
1864: Abraham Lincoln (National Union) / Andrew Johnson (National Union) Announcement, Results
1865: Andrew Johnson (National Union) / VACANT
1868: Ulysses S. Grant (Republican) / Schuyler Colfax (Republican) Annoucement, Results
1872: Ulysses S. Grant (Republican) / Henry Wilson (Republican) Announcement, Results
1875: Ulysses S. Grant (Republican) / VACANT
1876: Peter Cooper (Greenback) / Samuel Fenton Cary (Greenback) Announcement, Results
1880: James Garfield (Republican) / Chester A. Arthur (Republican), Announcement, Announcement
1881: Chester A. Arthur (Republican) / VACANT
1884: Benjamin Franklin Butler (Greenback) / Absolom M. West (Greenback) Announcement, Results
1888: Benjamin Harrison (Republican) / Levi P. Morton (Republican) Announcement, Results
1892: Ongoing

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 16:24 on Jul 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

ELECTION OF 1788-89

:siren: Click here to vote. :siren:

Background:

The Election of 1789 is the first Presidential election under the newly ratified Constitution. There is minor opposition to this election by Anti-Federalists, who oppose the creation of a stronger federal government. However, their objections have been mitigated by the immense popularity of the election’s frontrunner, George Washington.

The states are looking for a charismatic leader who can shepherd this new system and a capable Vice President who can support him.

The Candidates:

George Washington
  • Notable Positions: Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army, Delegate to the Constitutional Conventions
  • Party Affiliation: Independent
  • Biography: George Washington is the hero of the American Revolution and one of the wealthiest men in the former colonies. Though he never received a formal education beyond childhood, Washington is a successful military leader and a prominent surveyor in Virginia. He owns a plantation on the banks of the Potomac.
  • Platform: Washington has made no effort to campaign. Generally, he is opposed to political factionalism and an excessive national debt. He supports American neutrality in international affairs and free trade. He is considered a de facto Federalist on other policy issues. He is a slave owner.

John Adams
  • Notable Positions: Ambassador to England, Ambassador to the Netherlands, Delegate to the Constitutional Convention, Author of the Massachusetts Constitution
  • Party Affiliation: Federalist
  • Biography: Known as “His Rotundity,” Adams is a brilliant lawyer but prone to pompous behavior. In the years before the Revolution, Adams was a key figure in pushing the colonies toward independence. He and his wife, Abigail, hope to develop a coherent political philosophy to guide the new republic.
  • Platform: Adams considers himself to be naturally suited for the Vice Presidency due to his good relationship with Washington. Adams supports Hamilton’s economic reforms, which will empower the national government at the expense of the states, but considers domestic policy to be Congress’s domain. In foreign affairs, he supports closer ties with England. He is an avid opponent of slavery.

John Jay
  • Notable Positions: Secretary of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador to Spain, President of the Continental Congress, Author of the Federalist Papers
  • Biography: John Jay is the leader of the wealthy Jay clan and a dominating force in New York politics. Despite initial misgivings about independence, Jay served important roles in the Continental Congress and helped build the newly independent government of his home state. He was the chief negotiator in the Treaty of Paris, which ended the Revolution with American independence.
  • Platform: John Jay supports a strong, centralized national government and is willing to encroach on the states to build an independent American economy. He strongly opposes slavery and supports rapprochement with England.

Robert Harrison
  • Notable Positions: Chief Justice of General Court of Maryland, Lieutenant Colonel in the Continental Army
  • Biography: Robert Harrison owns a successful law firm in Alexandria, Virginia and is a close personal friend of George Washington. During the Revolution Harrison served as Washington’s military secretary. His father was a prominent member of the Maryland legislature.
    Platform: Little is known about Harrison’s political views. Though he holds the highest judicial position in Maryland, his decisions largely concern real estate law.

John Rutledge
  • Notable Positions: Governor of South Carolina, Delegate to the Continental Congress
  • Biography: John Rutledge is the son of a Irish immigrant who became a wealthy Southern plantation owner. During the Revolution, he governed South Carolina. After British forces seized it, he and Nathaniel Greene led the Continental Army to reclaim it. Rutledge was one of the most influential delegates at the Constitutional Convention. His brother signed the Declaration of Independence.
  • Platform: Rutledge is a political moderate and concerned with the procedural issues of the new constitution. He is responsible for denying the Supreme Court the right to issue advisory opinions, eliminating wealth-requirements in national elections, and establishing the single-man executive. He supports slavery and is strongly opposed to restoring ties with England.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

pig slut lisa posted:

I'm afraid to vote for anyone but the winners. I'd hate to butterfly effect this thing and end up with the Confederate States of America on the moon or something. :ohdear:

But if you don't change the past, who is going to kill baby Hitler?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Mr. Powers posted:

IMO we should be doing instant runoff rather than first past the post. Also, does Google sheets let you have a live updating graph? That would be cool.

Why would I introduce a sensible voting mechanism into a thread about the United States Presidency?

Google Forms does allow for a live updating graph, but I am hesitant to post it for fear of it influencing the results. I like the uncertainty as it forces people to make pragmatic decisions about their vote.

Ibogaine posted:

Are non-americans allowed to participate in this? Because I'd love to.

Of course. Go ahead.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Candidates on the Issues: Slavery

George Washington

quote:

I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of it [slavery]; but there is only one proper and effectual mode by which it can be accomplished, and that is by Legislative authority; and this, as far as my suffrage [vote and support] will go, shall never be wanting [lacking]...

I wish from my soul that the legislature of this State could see the policy of a gradual abolition of slavery. 9

John Adams

quote:

"Every measure of prudence, therefore, ought to be assumed for the eventual total extirpation of slavery from the United States ... I have, throughout my whole life, held the practice of slavery in ... abhorrence.".

John Jay

quote:

"It is much to be wished that slavery may be abolished. The honour of the States, as well as justice and humanity, in my opinion, loudly call upon them to emancipate these unhappy people. To contend for our own liberty, and to deny that blessing to others, involves an inconsistency not to be excused."

John Rutledge

quote:

If the Convention thinks that N. C. S. C. & Georgia will ever agree to the plan, unless their right to import slaves be untouched, the expectation is vain. The people of those States will never be such fools as to give up so important an interest.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Lemming posted:

Isn't it going to take 10 minutes before we all start killing each other if Washington isn't our king president?

What country before ever existed a century & a half without a rebellion? & what country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon & pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure.

Oiled and Ready posted:

so are these elections considered canon for future elections or do we reset each time? This impacts my vote. I feel like if we're carrying the canon forward I need Washington but if we aren't I got to go with Jay.

My background posts will treat each election independently. There would be no way for me to discuss the issues surrounding the election or to post the primers I have planned on various groups, individuals, and issues. It would also make later elections problematic.

If you, or anyone else, would like to consider these elections to be part of a single, cohesive timeline then go ahead. I would love to see someone try to form a narrative. I'm not going to force that on the thread, though.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 02:24 on Nov 19, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Ralp posted:

I think he already gave up, which is for the best probably, because at this rate this project won't be even close to finished by the time the next actual president gets sworn in.
it will take almost two months even if he does one election every day.

Nah, I am still here. Weekdays are just busy for me and there isn't a lot I can post. The current schedule is still once a week. I may accelerate these early elections if people are getting edgy.

I will probably do a write-up on the Anti-Federalists or the Critical Period when I get off from work.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 12:46 on Nov 20, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

:siren: Polls for the election of 1788-89 will close at 8:00 AM EST tomorrow. If you are, for whatever reason, holding back your vote, now would be the time to use it. :siren:

The election of 1792 will be posted at the same time, so prepare yourself for a "struggle between the Treasury department and the republican interest." Jefferson and Hamilton are already organizing their forces.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

can we vote for washington as king

Sorry, but "SA Decides: The Newburgh Conspiracy of 1783" has already passed.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 14:38 on Nov 21, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

ELECTION RESULTS: 1788

Thank you all for voting in the first election of this new republic’s history. In a surprise upset, John Adams has been elected the first President of the United States. Serving as his Vice President is the equally surprised John Jay. General Washington wishes the best of luck to both these men and has happily retired to his estate at Mount Vernon. His Highness, John Adams, President of the United States, and Protector of Their Liberties looks forward to his next four years in office.

RESULTS BREAKDOWN

Most popular candidates:

1. John Adams – 104 votes (72.7%)
2. John Jay 90 votes (62.9%)
3. George Washington – 68 votes (47.6%)
4. John Rutledge – 15 votes (10.5%)
5. Robert Harrison 10 votes (7%)*

Most popular tickets:

1. John Adams / John Jay – 59 votes
2. George Washington / John Adams – 41 votes
3. George Washington / John Jay – 22 votes
4. John Jay / John Rutledge – 6 votes
5. Robert Harrison / John Rutledge – 4 votes
6. George Washington / John Rutledge – 3 votes
7. George Washington / Robert Harrison – 2 votes
8. John Adams / Robert Harrison – 2 votes
9. John Jay / Robert Harrison – 2 votes
10. John Adams / John Rutledge – 1 vote

* Note: You will notice that there is an odd number of votes listed above. When originally putting together the survey, I forgot to insert a data validation and submitted a test vote for three men (Washington, Adams, and Harrison).

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 14:43 on Nov 22, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

ELECTION OF 1792

:siren: Click here to vote in the Election of 1792! :siren:

Candidates:

Sixteen years after the signing of the Declaration of Independence, the United States has begun to stabilize. Though Washington’s Administration has not been easy, he has succeeded in ending the direst threats to America’s independence and establishing precedent for future presidents.

With the advice of his Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton, Washington has established a national bank and had the national government take on state war debts. Though many former Anti-Federalists see these acts as dangerous steps toward tyranny, American bonds are now considered safe in European markets. In New York and Philadelphia, these programs have been so successful that stock markets have formed. In other domestic affairs, Washington personally put down a revolt by angry veterans and farmers who were protesting a tax on Whiskey. He has also strengthened the federal judiciary.

In foreign affairs, Washington has asserted executive control over treaty negotiations to avoid foreign entanglement. Though beloved in France, so much so that Washington was sent the Key to the Bastille, Washington is deeply suspicious of the ongoing revolution in France. He has limited American support of the new French government, only helping the French put down the Haitian Revolution to reduce the country’s debt. Washington is also increasingly concerned about the British. Despite promising to recognize American sovereignty in the Treaty of Paris, British forces remain in their forts and outposts around the Great Lakes. There are also growing reports of British forces kidnapping American sailors. Washington does not believe the country can withstand another major war and hopes to resolve both these issues peacefully. Though he is expected to be re-elected, Washington’s Vice President is likely to be seen as a referendum on both these issues.

The Election of 1792 is also notable for being the first election with partisan undertones. Despite Washington’s pleas for civility, Hamilton and Jefferson are establishing loose political networks to support their policy preferences. For Hamilton, he hopes to build a centralized and fiscally sound union capable of co-existing with European powers. For Jefferson, he hopes to smash the tyrannical Treasury in favor of a decentralized, expansionist confederation where every man can own a plot of land.

Background:

George Washington
  • Notable Positions: President of the United States, Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army, Delegate to the Constitutional Conventions
  • Biography: George Washington is the hero of the new Republic and one of the wealthiest men in the former colonies. Though he was elected unanimously in 1789, Washington wants to retire from public life. He has offered himself for re-election at the behest of his Cabinet.
  • Platform: Though politically unaligned, Washington is a de facto Federalist. Washington has enacted Hamilton’s financial policies, strengthening the national government. He is committed to neutrality in international affairs. Former anti-Federalists are considering whether to resign from Washington’s administration in protest. He has made no moves to strengthen or harm slavery. Washington is suspicious of the revolution in France.

John Adams
  • Notable Positions: Vice President of the United States, Ambassador to England, Ambassador to the Netherlands, Delegate to the Constitutional Convention, Author of the Massachusetts Constitution
  • Party Affiliation: Federalist Party
  • Biography: Adams is a brilliant lawyer but principled to a fault, demanding adherence to precise pre-established procedural and policy guidelines. As Vice President, he has taken an extremely hands-on approach to the Senate and actively debates for the Administration, despite threats that he will be censured for doing so. He otherwise plays a minor role in politics and Washington rarely consults with him on policy matters.
  • Platform: Adams expects to be re-elected to the Vice Presidency. Adams supports Hamilton’s economic reforms, which will empower the national government at the expense of the states, but hates Hamilton himself. In foreign affairs, he supports closer ties with England. He is a strong opponent of slavery and believes in public education. He is wary of the revolutionaries in France.

George Clinton
  • Notable Positions: Governor of New York
  • Party Affiliation: Democratic-Republican Party
  • Biography: A Revolutionary War hero and Governor of New York, Clinton is a powerful force in New York politics. Before independence, he was known for protecting the Sons of Liberty, an act which earned him imprisonment by the British. During the war, he served as New York’s wartime governor and was responsible for coordinating the state’s war effort. His prior opposition to the Constitution has made Clinton a divisive figure outside the state. Hamilton has used his network of printers to spread rumors that Clinton is still opposed to the Constitution and will undo it if given power.
  • Platform: A former Anti-Federalist deeply committed to the small freehold farmers of New York’s countryside, George Clinton is known as the “yeoman politician.” He opposes Hamilton’s economic reforms, as he believes they will give the national government excessive authority over the state and individual. He is fanatically opposed to the British. Clinton would like to see the establishment of a standing army to protect existing territory and to seize British lands. He opposes slavery on a personal basis, but sees the issue as a low priority. He is inclined to support the French Revolution, but wants to see how the situation develops.

Thomas Jefferson
  • Notable Positions: Secretary of State, Ambassador to France, Governor of Virginia, Delegate to the Continental Congress, Author of the Declaration of Independence
  • Biography: Brilliant. Humorless. Cosmopolitan. Slaveholder. Jefferson is a man of contradictions, at once the author of the Declaration of Independence and at the same time a defender of the plantation system. Though his revolutionary zeal and legal brilliance attracts admirers, Jefferson is known for being uncomfortable in public settings. He rarely speaks before crowds, dresses in old-fashioned clothing, and often secludes himself from other people.
  • Platform: Jefferson is heavily influenced by the Enlightenment. He is committed to ending corruption and ensuring equal rights for all white male citizens by limiting federal authority. Distrustful of British aristocracy and the merchant class, Jefferson hopes to build an “agrarian republic,” an America large enough that every citizen owns their own plantation or farm. He supports wars that will halt “the dangerous extension of the British Province of Canada and add to the Empire of liberty.” He is a fanatic support of the French Revolution.

Aaron Burr
  • Notable Positions: Senator of New York, New York State Attorney General, New York State Assemblyman
  • Biography: Son of a Presbyterian minister, Aaron Burr is active member of the New York social scene and a Revolutionary War veteran. Though known by few people outside New York, Burr is quickly building a national reputation as a populist leader. Nonetheless, there are uncomfortable rumors about Burr’s his lack of principles and willingness to go outside the law. Burr is a known womanizer, but utterly devoted to his daughter.
  • Platform: Burr is extremely charismatic and has popular support as the candidate you want to have some whiskey with. Burr has allies in both Federalist and Democratic-Republican camps, but has lately begun siding increasingly against the Washington Administration and its “Federalist aristocrats.” He opposes slavery and believes that women are equal to men. He has made no public statements regarding the French Revolution.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 15:25 on Nov 22, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Platystemon posted:

If Washington didn’t want to be re‐elected, he should have encouraged another pro‐federal politician to run.

The Federalist argument is, "Oh God, Washington, please run. You are the only man whose election won't risk a massive civil war and British conquest of our new republic. Also, Hamilton has these great profitable ideas about financial reform that we would really like to get them passed without having serious opposition. We've got incredible amounts of money depending on the success of the National Bank and the stock market."

The Democratic-Republican argument is, "Yes, you are completely right. The old general is probably on the verge of senility and is being manipulated by the monarchist Adams and the bastard, immigrant Hamilton. However, not electing him risks a massive civil war and British conquest. You can guarantee that once we get in office, we'll make sure that President Washington is listening to the right people, people who won't try to infringe on individual liberties, like a man's right to own a slave."

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 15:26 on Nov 22, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Octatonic posted:

While Adams and Burr are entertaining, sure, what I find even more entertaining is the possibility of establishing an even earlier Clinton dynasty. Is this Clinton related to our soon to be supreme overlord? Well, no, given that Slick Willie's surname comes from his stepdad! However, think of the possibilities. The Roosevelts, Kennedys, and Bushes all establish themselves much later. We can make an American autocracy where power is even more inheritable than it is today!

Through his election, John Adams probably got his wish of making the President's title, "His Highness, the President of the United States, and Protector of Their Liberties," which seems fitting for an autocratic pseudo-monarchy.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Angepain posted:

as an ignorant Brit the only things I really knew of Burr were from this historical re-enactment (spoiler alert for the distant future of 1804, guys!!!) so I'm surprised that Burr actually seems to have some good opinions on some things. Perhaps this video is just propaganda created by Hamilton's dastardly network of printers, which I assume was the 1790s version of Fox News.

My thoughts on Burr: Aaron Burr's got a Frank Underwood quality to him. He is very good at appealing to the common man, but everyone who interacts with him on a day-to-day basis ends up pretty unnerved by his pursuit for power. You can check his Wikipedia page for a brief overview, but there are a few episodes that stand out. He'll later use disaster relief funds to fund his own personal bank, to counter Hamilton and the Federalist establishment. He'll also be implicated in a scheme to carve a fiefdom out of Louisiana.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 00:58 on Nov 23, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

foobardog posted:

Slavery is my litmus test, so that drops pretty much everyone except Burr and Adams.

You're going to love 1804 and 1808.

Aliquid posted:

In case any of y'all haven't heard, Broadway's getting its rear end kicked by an A-Ham hip-hop musical and it's good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSZwEaYHSpc

It's excellent.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

ELECTION RESULTS: 1792

Thank you all for voting. I am happy to announce that His Elective Majesty, Our Lord-Protector, John Adams, President of the United States, Protector of Their Liberties, has been re-elected President of the United States. Serving by his side is Aaron Burr, who is certain to serve admirably at the President’s side. Adams has already taken Burr into his confidence and given him a prominent role in the administration.

Jefferson and Clinton are stunned by the upset. Jefferson has already mobilized the press against the two victors.

RESULTS BREAKDOWN

Most popular candidates:

1. John Adams – 53 votes (62.4%)
2. Aaron Burr – 46 votes (54.1%)
3. George Washington – 40 votes (47.1%)
4. Thomas Jefferson – 16 votes (18.8%)
5. George Clinton - 13 votes (15.3%)

Most popular tickets:

1. George Washington / John Adams – 24 votes
2. John Adams / Aaron Burr – 23 votes
3. George Washington / Aaron Burr – 10 votes
4. George Clinton / Aaron Burr - 8 votes
5. John Adams / Thomas Jefferson – 5 votes
6. Thomas Jefferson / Aaron Burr – 5 votes
7. George Washington / Thomas Jefferson – 4 votes
8. George Washington / George Clinton – 2 votes
9. George Clinton / Thomas Jefferson – 2 votes
10. John Adams / George Clinton – 1 vote
11. Thomas Jefferson / Aaron Burr – 1 vote

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 16:19 on Nov 29, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

ELECTION OF 1796

:siren: Click here to vote in the Election of 1796! :siren:

Background:

The Election of 1796 is the first disputed election in American history, taking place after Washington’s announced retirement. This election presents both risks and opportunities for the new republic. Many question whether Washington will be able to transfer authority to a successor. They also question whether his successor will be able to navigate between growing pressure by the French and British.

Watch this space! To keep the election series on a semi-coherent schedule, I am posting the survey now and will revise the background section later today.

The Candidates:

John Adams
  • Notable Positions: Vice President of the United States, Ambassador to England, Ambassador to the Netherlands, Delegate to the Constitutional Convention, Author of the Massachusetts Constitution
  • Biography: Adams is a brilliant lawyer but principled to a fault, demanding adherence to precise pre-established procedural and policy guidelines. As Vice President, he has taken an extremely hands-on approach to the Senate and actively debates for the Administration, despite threats that he will be censured for doing so. He otherwise plays a minor role in politics and Washington rarely consults with him on policy matters.
  • Platform: Adams believes that campaigning is a “silly and wicked game” and has refused to campaign on his own behalf. He supports Hamilton’s economic reforms, which will empower the national government at the expense of the states. He supports the Jay Treaty, which allowed American-British disputes over wartime debts, trade, and borders to be settled by arbitration. Adams is further opposed to the French Revolution and hopes to distance America from, what appears to be, a rapidly collapsing country. Adams is a strong opponent of slavery and believes in public education. He is wary of the revolutionaries in France and has tied his opponents in the Democratic-Republican Party to the anarchy there.

Thomas Jefferson
  • Notable Positions: Secretary of State, Ambassador to France, Governor of Virginia, Delegate to the Continental Congress, Author of the Declaration of Independence
  • Biography: Brilliant. Humorless. Cosmopolitan. Slaveholder. Jefferson is a man of contradictions, at once the author of the Declaration of Independence and at the same time a defender of the plantation system. Though his revolutionary zeal and legal brilliance attracts admirers, Jefferson is known for being uncomfortable in public settings. He rarely speaks before crowds, dresses in old-fashioned clothing, and often secludes himself from other people.
  • Platform: Jefferson is heavily influenced by the Enlightenment. He is committed to ending corruption and ensuring equal rights for all white male citizens by limiting federal authority. Distrustful of British aristocracy and the merchant class, Jefferson hopes to build an “agrarian republic,” an America large enough that every citizen owns their own plantation or farm. He supports wars that will halt “the dangerous extension of the British Province of Canada and add to the Empire of liberty.” As such, he opposes the Jay Treaty. He is a fanatical support of the French Revolution.

Thomas Pickney
  • Notable Positions: Representative of South Carolina, Ambassador to Great Britain, South Carolina State Representative
  • Biography: Pickney is among the most educated and respected leaders in post-Independence America. Despite being the son of a prominent colonial official and being educated in Great Britain, Pickney was an early adopter of the Patriot cause. During the Revolution, he served in the Continental Army alongside Horatio Gates and Lafayette. After the war, he allied himself with George Washington and received various appointments within his administration. In 1795, he arranged the Treaty of San Lorenzo, which formally defined the boundaries between Spanish and American territory and guaranteed the United States navigation rights on the Mississippi River.
  • Platform: The Treaty of San Lorenzo has made Thomas Pickney a popular figure in the American South and West for guaranteeing the region’s economic interests. On most issues, Pickney is a political moderate. He supports the Jay Treaty, but not vocally so, and opposes the French, albeit only because he does not believe America is strong enough to defend it. Hardcore Federalists support Pickney over Adams because they believe he can be controlled more easily than the politically entrenched Adams. He is a friend to Thomas Jefferson and sympathetic to his concerns about the increasingly powerful “Federalist aristocracy.” He owns slaves.

Aaron Burr
  • Notable Positions: Senator of New York, New York State Attorney General, New York State Assemblyman
  • Biography: Second son of a Presbyterian minister, Aaron Burr is active member of the New York social scene and a Revolutionary War veteran. Though known by few people outside New York, Burr is quickly building a national reputation as a populist leader. Nonetheless, there are uncomfortable rumors about Burr’s his lack of principles and willingness to go outside the law. Burr is a known womanizer, but utterly devoted to his daughter.
  • Platform: Aaron Burr is the first candidate in the country’s history to actively campaign for the Presidency and has gained support as the candidate you want to have some whiskey with. Burr has allies in both Federalist and Democratic-Republican camps, but has lately begun siding increasingly against the “Federalist aristocrats.” He opposes slavery and believes that women are equal to men. He has made no public statements regarding the French Revolution, but has allowed French emigres to stay at his home.

Samuel Adams
  • Notable Positions: Governor of Massachusetts, Lieutenant Governor of Massachusetts, Delegate to the Continental Congress, Clerk of the Massachusetts House of Representatives
  • Biography: Samuel Adams is one of the central figures of the American Revolution and played a key role in orchestrating the Boston Tea Party. Despite his terrible business sense, Adams is a skilled and popular politician. During the Second Continental Congress he played the role of a “parliamentary whip,” pushing the delegates toward independence. After the war, he and his cousin John Adams drafted the Massachusetts Constitution.
  • Platform: Samuel Adams believes that the future of the American Republic depends on the virtue of its citizens. Unlike other Founders, Samuel Adams is very religious and believes in a tolerant but Christian-inspired democracy. He believes in free public education for children, even for girls. Adams worries about the growing power of the national government and Hamilton’s Treasury, but opposes the use of violence to express those concerns. He opposes the Jay Treaty for not doing enough to end impressment. His close friendship with Thomas Paine makes him a supporter of the French Revolution. He privately opposes slavery.

Oliver Ellsworth
  • Notable Positions: Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, Senator of Connecticut, Delegate to the Constitutional Convention
  • Biography: Oliver Ellsworth is one of Washington’s last appointees and the current Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court. Though he has not yet had the opportunity to hear any cases, Ellsworth is a successful lawyer who supervised Connecticut’s war expenditures during the Revolution. He was one of the principal writers of the United States Constitution. Though a successful legislator, some Democratic-Republicans dislike Ellsworth reliance on backroom meetings and shady dealings to achieve his goals.
  • Platform: Ellsworth is a staunch Federalist and, in the words of John Adams, “the firmest pillar of the whole Administration in the Senate.” Ellsworth believes in the need for a strong central government whose powers are divided among different branches. As such, he led the Senate to pass the Judiciary Act and was the whip behind Hamilton’s economic reforms. Ellsworth supports close ties with England and convinced George Washington to send John Jay to England to avert war. He opposes a national prohibition on slavery and prefers to keep the issue devolved to the several states to avoid civil war.

George Clinton
  • Biography: A Revolutionary War Hero and Governor of New York, Clinton is a powerful force in New York politics. Before independence, he was known for protecting the Sons of Liberty, an act which regularly earned him imprisonment by the British. During the war, he served as New York’s wartime governor and was responsible for coordinating the state’s war effort. His prior opposition to the Constitution has made Clinton a divisive figure outside the state. Hamilton has used his network of printers to spread rumors that Clinton is still opposed to the Constitution and will undo it if given power.
  • Platform: A former Anti-Federalist deeply committed to the small freehold farmers of New York’s countryside, George Clinton is known as the “yeoman politician.” He opposes Hamilton’s economic reforms, as he believes they will give the national government excessive authority over the state and individual. He is fanatically opposed to the British. Clinton would like to see the establishment of a standing army to protect existing territory and to seize British lands. He opposes slavery on a personal basis, but sees the issue as a low priority. He is inclined to support the French Revolution, but wants to see how the situation develops.

John Jay
  • Notable Positions: Governor of New York, Chief Justice of the United States, Secretary of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador to Spain, President of the Continental Congress, Author of the Federalist Papers
  • Biography: John Jay is the leader of the wealthy Jay clan and a dominating force in New York politics. Despite initial misgivings about independence, Jay served important roles in the Continental Congress and helped build the newly independent government of his home state. He was the chief negotiator in the Treaty of Paris, which ended the Revolution with American independence.
  • Platform: John Jay supports a strong, centralized national government and is willing to encroach on the states to build an independent American economy. As Chief Justice he has consistently ruled in favor of the federal government’s authority to regulate the power of the states. He strongly opposes slavery and supports rapprochement with England. He helped Washington draft a Neutrality Proclamation in response to growing unrest in France.

James Iredell
  • Notable Positions: Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court, Attorney General of North Carolina
  • Biography: James Iredell is a devout Anglican with close ties to the British Isles. Despite this, Iredell was among the earliest supporters of American Independence. He is one of the republic’s most prominent essayists and wrote Principles of an American Whig, a treatise which outlines many of the same arguments that Jefferson would later use in the Declaration of Independence. He has held numerous posts within North Carolina’s government. In 1790, Washington appointed Iredell to the Supreme Court.
  • Platform: As a Supreme Court justice, Iredell abides by strict textualism. In Chishom v. Georgia (1793), Iredell was the lone dissenting justice who ruled that a one state could sue another in federal court without its consent. In Calder v. Bull (1798), he opposed Connecticut’s establishment of an e post facto law. Iredell’s opinion in this case suggests his belief in judicial review. Iredell believes in the necessity of a strong military to stop the British from “let[ting] loose Indians on our Frontier” and “exciting [the blacks] to cut our throats, and involve Men, Women, and Children in one universal massacre.” He dislikes the French, distrusts their leaders, and believes that involving America any further in French affairs will lead to the destruction of the American government.

George Washington
  • Notable Positions: President of the United States, Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army, Delegate to the Constitutional Conventions
  • Biography: George Washington is the hero of the new Republic and one of the wealthiest men in the former colonies. He has publicly announced his retirement and has asked that he be allowed to live in peace at Mount Vernon.
  • Platform: Though politically unaligned, Washington is a de facto Federalist. Washington has enacted Hamilton’s financial policies, strengthening the national government. He is committed to neutrality in international affairs. Washington has publicly stated that he would not accept another term in office. Despite this, there are still some officials in the press agitating for Washington’s third term.

John Henry
  • Notable Positions: Senator of Maryland
  • Biography: John Henry was among the first individuals elected to serve in the Continental Congress, where he distinguished himself by targeting civilians who tried to profit from the Revolutionary War. He is known for suffering sudden illnesses and has spent most of his career as the Senator of Maryland in poor health.
  • Platform: John Henry believes that a strong military is necessary to defend and expand the United States against foreign threats. Henry is also a strong advocate for former veterans. He is worried about the growing anarchy in France and feels that war with America’s former ally may soon be necessary. Otherwise, he supports the Jeffersonian ideal of an “agrarian republic” and westward expansion. John Henry owns slaves.

Samuel Johnston
  • Notable Positions: Governor of North Carolina, Senator of North Carolina, Grand Master of the Masons of North Carolina
  • Biography: Samuel Johnston is a prominent member of North Carolina’s aristocracy and has a long history in elected office. Elected first in 1759, Johnston served four terms as part of North Carolina’s provincial congress and later went on to support the Continental Congress. Based on his long service and popularity among the delegates, Johnston was offered, but refused, to be elected the first President of the States in Congress Assembled under the Articles of Confederation. Despite this, Johnston was the primary figure involved in getting North Carolina to ratify the Constitution.
  • Platform: Samuel Johnston represents the conservative faction of the Federalist Party, favoring complete reintegration of Loyalists back into society and the institution of a strong central government that is capable of enforcing order. During the Regulator Rebellion, he sponsored an act that gave law enforcement the authority to shoot protesters on sight. Though Johnston believes that power comes from the consent of the governed, he does not believe the common man is capable of making rational choices. He also opposes the printing of paper money as he feels it will harm the credit of the new republic. Johnston believes that restoring ties with England is necessary. He owns slaves.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 16:33 on Nov 29, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Octatonic posted:

I dunno about y'all, but imho, some of these guys (looking at you, Sams) kinda seem like big ol' dickheads!

Who among us hasn't advocated for the death of our political opponents and the preservation of a kleptocratic slave-owning regime? Samuel Johnston is just your average Southern pseduo-aristocrat, acting to preserve the only way of life he has ever known.

At least he isn't some Bostonian rabble-rouser whose entire legacy depends on an bastard immigrant and a senile old general.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

UrbicaMortis posted:

Electing Washington would be pretty funny in a dickish way.

If you want to play that game, you could elect Washington/ Samuel Adams.

One is going to die before the next election and the other's rapidly deteriorating health will render him incapable of writing.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Just a reminder that Aaron Burr had such a bitchfit over not getting the presidency that he went to the western frontier, made friends with a Spanish spy, and tried to get the west to secede from the union.

Also he shot and killed Hamilton the builder of our national economy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o51rzRr1GJY

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

JosefStalinator posted:

I'm genuinely curious how goons will handle William Jennings Bryan (aka our Emperor until Debs starts running).

I've got Clay, Bryan, Debs, T. Roosevelt, and FDR in my "must watch" pile. I'm also curious about how goons will react to the moral dilemma that is Lincoln in 1864 and Kennedy in 1960.

Tao Jones posted:

In our timeline we'd probably have slavery-related crises much earlier than reality, since in two elections we've elected anti-slavery candidates from MA/NY twice and look like we're set to do it a third time.

A larger Nullification Crisis gives Thomas Jefferson something to do at least.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 02:12 on Nov 30, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Abner Cadaver II posted:

I'm surprised the Founders didn't go whole hog with their Roman Republic love and have two presidents with authority alternating between every day.

A co-consul system was considered early in debates at the Constitutional Convention. John Rutledge thought that a multiple executive system would cause a diffusion of responsibility and lead to easily to inter-executive rivalries. These arguments were opposed by Gerry and Randolph, who thought that the Presidency contained within it "the feotus of monarchy." As the only role of the Executive was to fulfill the will of the legislature, they argued that it was better for the position to be divided among several people instead of one person potentially usurping power from the other branches.

You can probably guess which argument won the day.

GlyphGryph posted:

I got the impression it was specifically to try and avoid the formation of political parties (encouraging multiple different people from each "party" to run) while also empowering the largest group of "losers" instead of making them feel like they have no say in things at all, like a consolation prize. Also I think the VP was supposed to be more involved in Congress and policy? So it might have been yet another "checks and balances" type proposal where the runner up being a different "faction" might even have been intentional on the parts of those who did think of it.

It's not really a terrible idea in concept, but the execution is lacking and a good execution might not have been possible.

The Vice President was intended to act as a spokesperson for the President in the Senate and advocate on behalf of his policies. During the Washington Administration, John Adams actively engaged with the representatives and was able to steer policy using his rhetoric and his authority over procedural matters. Of course, Washington doesn't seem to have encouraged these demonstrations of loyalty and kept Adams out of the policymaking sphere. As such, Adams was threatened with censure halfway through Washington's term. Then, Adams was replaced by Jefferson who had no interest in advancing his rival's policies.

The Vice Presidency never recovered from its early marginalization.

I haven't seen anyone state this outright, but based on Madison's notes, the Vice Presidency looks like an attempt to recreate the Prime Minister position within the U.S. Congress. The idea wasn't fully thought through and breaks down entirely with the "runner-up" system, but it isn't hard to imagine why it got into the Constitution's final draft. You want someone who can speak for the President without making the President a member of the Legislature and further expanding his authority.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 20:46 on Nov 30, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Joementum posted:

Question: in this timeline did Adams and Jay abolish free speech in their first term because people said mean things about them?

I like to imagine John Adams adding increasingly pompous and ridiculous titles to his name as a coping mechanism against the mean Jeffersonian press.

((Then probably jailing a bunch of printers because they depicted him as a short, fat, little man.))

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Thank you all for voting. In a nail-biter of an election, His Elective Majesty, Our Lord-Protector, John Adams, President of the United States, Protector of Their Liberties, Defender of the Faithful, and Father of the Nation, has been re-elected to a third term. Returning from a brief Governorship in New York is John Jay. Both men have announced their commitment to a strong national government, a strong national defense, and stamping a boot on the Democratic-Republican face, forever.

Despite performing even worse than his running mate, Jefferson has vowed to return at the next election. We will see how successful he is.

RESULTS BREAKDOWN

Most popular candidates:

1. John Adams – 40 votes (44.4%)
2. John Jay – 38 votes (42.2%)
3. Samuel Adams – 31 votes (34.4%)
4. Aaron Burr – 30 votes (33.3%)
5. Oliver Ellsworth - 11 votes (12.2%)
6. Thomas Jefferson – 10 votes (11.1%)
7. George Clinton – 7 votes (7.8%)
8. Thomas Pickney – 7 votes (7.8%)
9. George Washington – 6 votes (6.7%)
10. James Iredell – 0 votes (0.0%)
11. John Henry – 0 votes (0.0%)
12. Samuel Johnston – 0 votes (0.0%)

Most popular tickets:

1. John Adams / John Jay – 18 votes
2. Aaron Burr / Samuel Adams – 12 votes
3. Aaron Burr / John Jay – 7 votes
4. John Adams / Samuel Adams – 6 votes
5. John Adams / Aaron Burr – 6 votes

Most popular parties:

1. Federalist Party – 96 votes (53.3%)
2. Democratic-Republican Party – 78 votes (43.3%)
3. Independent – 6 votes (3.3%)

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

ELECTION OF 1800

:siren: Click here to vote in the Election of 1800! :siren:

Background:
Obligatory Song

Newspapers are being shuttered by the federal government. Merchants fear mob violence on the streets of New York and Boston. American ships are being seized indiscriminately by the French. There are rumors that both France and England will soon invade, and that Adams has been calling up on every former Revolutionary War veteran to defend the nation if the time comes. They say that even George Washington was prepared to come out of retirement when he died. States are saying that they will call upon their militias to enforce the election results they want. This is the situation in 1800.

When Adams became president in 1796, war between England and France had already been causing difficulties within the new republic. America’s refusal to call a side has led France, led by the Directory, to suspend commercial relations and begin attacking American ships. Though many have called for full-scale war, especially after French officials demanded huge bribes before they would even consider talking to American diplomats, Adams has resisted these calls. His attempts to instead negotiate with the French and build a large standing army, have alienated Federalists and Democratic-Republicans alike.

Matters have been worsened by growing political tensions domestically. With the French openly endorsing Democratic-Republicans and several within the party calling for a French-style revolution, Adams has passed the Alien and Sedition Acts to maintain public order. Intended to quell uprest brought about by foreign powers, the Acts extend the Naturalization process, allow the President to deport any foreigner, and punish anyone who publishes “false, scandalous, and malicious writing” against a government official. Given Democratic-Republican control over much of the press, Jefferson has insinuated that the Acts are a veiled attempt at establishing a Federalist dictatorship. He has called upon the states to end this tyranny and, in the South, various states have endorsed the concept of nullification, the idea that states can invalidate federal laws. Adams is not sure who is responsible for this idea, but has vowed to prosecute them when he finds out.

Complicating matters even further is Alexander Hamilton. Perhaps outraged by Adams’s association with Burr and refusal to toe the party line, Hamilton has started a one-man crusade to unseat the president. Calling him a man with “great and intrinsic defects in character which unfit him for the office of chief magistrate,” Hamilton has turned the entire Federalist Party apparatus against Adams in an attempt to elect his unmemorable running mate, Charles Cotesworth Pinckney. This battle has largely annihilated Adams’s reputation within his own party. Many believe that Adams will inevitably be unseated. The only question is whether it is in a Federalist coup or a Democratic-Republican revolution.

The press for their part have been thrilled by the opportunity to slander everyone involved.

John Adams
  • Notable Positions: President of the United States, Vice President of the United States, Ambassador to England, Ambassador to the Netherlands, Delegate to the Constitutional Convention, Author of the Massachusetts Constitution
  • Platform: Depending on who you ask, John Adams is either the only person standing between stability and complete chaos or a tyrannical despot who plans to stamp out the Bill of Rights and crown himself king. In 1798, Adams and the Federalist-controlled Congress passed the Alien and Sedition Acts, laws which allow the President to prosecute individuals who are “dangerous to the peace and security of the United States.” Though the Federalists argue that these laws are necessary to maintain order at a time of near war, Jeffersonians believe that the Federalists are using the Acts to suppress political opponents. Surprisingly, Adams separated himself from the Federalist establishment on most other matters. Despite the French seizing American ships, Adams has resisted calls to support Britain in its war and instead maintained American neutrality. He has also pushed through new taxes to expand the national navy and army, despite business opposition. Adams is a strong opponent of slavery and believes in public education.

Thomas Jefferson
  • Platform: Depending on who you ask, Jefferson is either a defender of individual liberty or an insane atheist who will plunge America into war, chaos, and self-destruction. Using the Vice Presidency as his platform, Jefferson has attacked Adams for the Alien and Sedition Acts and his new taxes in support of the army and navy. Jefferson believes that the Federalist Party is trying to suppress its political opponents. Jefferson is afraid that the military will launch a coup if he wins. Jefferson has called upon the states to stop any federal tyranny, but it is not known whether he supports the idea of nullification, as expressed in the Virginia and Kentucky Resolutions. Otherwise, Jefferson hopes to build an “agrarian republic,” an America large enough that every citizen owns their own plantation or farm. He supports wars that will halt “the dangerous extension of the British Province of Canada and add to the Empire of liberty.” He owns slaves. He believes in a military based on the militia system.

Aaron Burr
  • Biography: Second son of a Presbyterian minister, Aaron Burr is active member of the New York social scene and a Revolutionary War veteran. For his charisma and connections, Burr is quickly supplanting Alexander Hamilton as the controller of New York. He has convinced the leaders of a little-known social club, the Tammany Society, to convince workers to vote for him by any means necessary. He’s also used federal disaster funding to fund his own private bank, which is currently being used to support favorable press and politicians. For this willingness to go outside the law and exploit others, Burr has earned the scorn of many prominent Federalists. John Adams thinks he is a nice guy.
  • Platform: Aaron Burr is the first candidate in the country’s history to actively campaign for the Presidency. Burr has allies in both Federalist and Democratic-Republican camps, but has lately begun siding increasingly against the “Federalist aristocrats.” He opposes slavery and believes that women are equal to men. He has made no public statements regarding France but is believed to be aligned with Jefferson.

Charles Cotesworth Pinckney
  • Notable Positions: Minister of Finance, Ambassador to France, Delegate to the Constitutional Convention
  • Biography: Charles Pinckney is a nationally-respected leader who participated in the Revolutionary War and the Constitutional Convention. The eldest son of a prominent South Carolina planter, Charles Cotesworth Pinckney was tutored in London and studied law at Christ Church College in Oxford. Despite his loyalist upbringing and a long career serving colonial government, Pinckney joined the Patriot cause. Between 1789 and 1795 he declined presidential appointments to the U.S. Army, Supreme Court, Department of War, and Department of State. Instead, he accepted a position as Ambassador to France, where he helped defuse the XYZ Affair. Pinckney is known for being extremely scrupulous, refusing to pay bribes to facilitate negotiations.
  • Platform: Depending on who you ask, Pinckney is either the Federalist Party’s last chance for a real leader, or a buffoon being used by Hamilton as a puppet. Pinckney is a “High Federalist” who supports siding with Britain and declaring outright war against France. He believes in the need for a stronger, secularized national government that can preserve the ideals of the Revolution. He supports the Alien and Sedition Acts and believes legislators should serve without pay. Pinckney is a large slaveowner and opposed the immediate abolition of the slave trade at the Constitutional Convention. He believes slavery to be integral to the economy of the South.

John Jay
  • Notable Positions: Governor of New York, Chief Justice of the United States, Secretary of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador to Spain, President of the Continental Congress, Author of the Federalist Papers
  • Biography: John Jay is the leader of the wealthy Jay clan and a dominating force in New York politics. Despite initial misgivings about independence, Jay served important roles in the Continental Congress and helped build the newly independent government of his home state. He was the chief negotiator in the Treaty of Paris, which ended the Revolution with American independence. He has begun to excuse himself from official duties, citing poor health, and is expected to retire from politics.
  • Platform: John Jay supports a strong, centralized national government and is willing to encroach on the states to build an independent American economy. Regardless of his position, he has consistently ruled in favor of the federal government’s authority to regulate the power of the states. He strongly opposes slavery and supports rapprochement with England. He helped Washington draft a Neutrality Proclamation in response to growing unrest in France. He supports the Alien and Sedition Acts, but believes it has been used too liberally. He is wary of Hamilton’s desperation to stop the Democratic-Republicans. Jay views a large national military as an unfortunate, but necessary, precaution.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Before you vote, you may wish to read the local newspaper to find their views on the candidates. Assuming you are literate, here is what you would read:

Bache & Co. posted:

The President is an old, querulous, bald, crippled and toothless.

quote:

Jefferson is a mean-spirited, low-lived fellow, the son of a half-breed Indian squaw, sired by a Virginia mulatto father raised on hoe cakes

quote:

John Adams is a hideous hermaphroditical character with neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

Martha Washington posted:

Jefferson is one of the most detestable among mankind

The Philadelphia Aurora posted:

[b]Things As They Have Been (under Adams)

The principles and patriots of the Revolution condemned. . . .

The Nation in arms without a foe, and divided without a cause. . . .

The reign of terror created by false alarms, to promote domestic feud and foreign war.

A Sedition Law. . . .

An established church, a religious test, and an order of Priesthood.

Portland Gazette posted:

Unrestrained by law, or the fear of punishment, [Jefferson will allow] every deadly passion to have its full scope, private quarrels will be revenged, and public feuds and rivalships will call forth the bitterest hate and vengance. Neighbors will become the enemies of neighbors, brothers of brothers, fathers of their sons, and sons of their fathers. Murder, robbery, rap, adultery, and incest will be openly taught and practiced, the air will be rent with the crisis of distress, the soil soaked with blood, and the nation black with crimes. Where is the heart which can contemplate such a scene without shivering with horror!

...the United States will become a horrid scene of dwellings in flames, hoary hairs bathed in blood, female chastity violated... children writhing on the pike and halbert.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 15:24 on Dec 6, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Thump! posted:

When does Adams son run for Presidency? Seriously, John is still the only guy who should have the job. America was meant to be a dictatorship :unsmigghh:

John Quincy Adams will get a single electoral vote in the Election of 1820, which unfortunately puts him just below the criteria to be included as a candidate in that election. He'll run officially in 1824 and 1828.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

For those interested in knowing how voting took place in 1800, The New Yorker's Party Time provides some delicious background. I would highly recommend the book that sparked this article, A Magnificent Catastrophe: The Tumultuous Election of 1800, America’s First Presidential Campaign by Edward Larson, for those that want to get knee-deep in the bizarre Election of 1800.

Fortunately, I will not be trying to simulate the attempts by the Federalist Party to repeal the popular vote or the (likely innumerable) attempts at ballot-stuffing that occurred across the country. Fortunately, Google Drive is probably a little more secure than whatever mechanisms were used by the Founding Fathers to protect and tally the vote.

quote:

“As you love your country, fly to your polls,” the Gazette of the United States urged. But there was no “Election Day” in 1800. Voting stretched from March to December, and the President wasn’t chosen until February, 1801, just weeks before he took office. To get to the polls, you may have trudged through snow; you may have sweltered in the sun.

Whatever the weather, chances are you couldn’t vote. There were sixteen states in the Union in 1800. In Maryland, black men born free could vote (until 1802, when the state’s constitution was amended to exclude them); in New Jersey, white women could vote (until 1807, when the legislature closed this loophole). All but three states—Kentucky, Vermont, and Delaware—limited the franchise to property holders or taxpayers, which works out to about sixty to seventy per cent of the adult white male population. Out of a total U.S. population of 5.3 million, roughly five hundred and fifty thousand were enfranchised.

Even if you could vote, at no polling place, anywhere, should you have expected a ballot with choices marked “ADAMS” and “JEFFERSON.” Nor should you have expected your government to have supplied a ballot of any kind; many states still voted viva voce, and, in those which didn’t, you supplied your own ballot unless you brought to the polls a “party ticket,” torn from the edge of your local newspaper, with your choices already printed: the slate of your party’s candidates.

If you voted by ballot, your ballot would be destroyed. Your government would not keep any record of the results, unless you lived in Massachusetts, the only state where election returns were routinely collected and preserved. Not until 1824 would records be better kept. The scandalous election of 1824, much like the Bush-Gore battle in 2000, riveted the nation’s attention on the casting and counting of votes. That year, Andrew Jackson trounced John Quincy Adams in the Electoral College, ninety-nine to eighty-four, but, because this represented a plurality, and not a majority, the election was thrown into the lame-duck House, which, perversely, chose Adams.

But election returns before 1824 do survive: in newspapers, where partisan editors printed them after every election, like so many box scores. Since Americans voted so often—most legislators and many governors served for one-year terms, and in some towns voters went to the polls every other month—thousands of returns can be found in early American newspapers. Until recently, though, the records were too numerous, and too scattered, to be useful to historians. Then, in one of the strangest and most heroic tales in the annals of American historical research, a man named Phil Lampi decided to devote his life to compiling those returns. He began this work in 1960, when he was still in high school. Living in a home for boys, he wanted, most of all, to be left alone, so he settled on a hobby that nobody else would be interested in. He went to the library and, using old newspapers, started making tally sheets of every election in American history. His system was flawless. It occupied endless hours. Completeness became his obsession. For decades, at times supporting himself by working as a night watchman, Lampi made lists of election returns on notepads. He drove all over the country, scouring the archives by day, sleeping in his car by night. He eventually transcribed the returns of some sixty thousand elections. Since 2004, the American Antiquarian Society, in Worcester, Massachusetts, has been digitizing Lampi’s collection; soon “A New Nation Votes: American Election Returns, 1787-1825” will be available online.

It’s still impossible to give anything like an exact figure for the 1800 national popular vote, but Lampi calculates that, in elections held that year, somewhere around a hundred and fifty-one thousand Americans cast votes for Republicans, compared with a hundred and thirty-nine thousand for Federalists. To the extent that this serves as a proxy for a popular vote, we now know that Jefferson won.

The election of 1800 was possibly the least democratic election in American history. In later elections, more citizens voted: by 1828, most states allowed white men to vote, whether or not they owned property or paid taxes. In earlier elections, more states allowed for the election of Electoral College delegates by popular vote. In 1796, seven out of sixteen states relied on the popular vote. But in 1800, after Republicans made a strong showing in local elections in New England, the Federalist-dominated legislatures of Massachusetts and New Hampshire repealed the popular vote, and put the selection of Electoral College delegates in their own hands. Before the year was out, seven of the sixteen states had changed their procedures for electing delegates to the Electoral College.

Citizens of Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Rhode Island, and Virginia could vote directly for their state’s delegates to the Electoral College. In Tennessee, sheriffs cast votes for Electoral College delegates. But, in the other ten states, you could vote only for your state legislators, who would, in turn, choose delegates to the Electoral College, who would, in turn, elect the President. Your choices would be represented, on your behalf, by your betters. The people, Larson writes, were the election’s “wild card,” which is why “lawmakers in most states did not authorize them to vote for electors.”

In some places, efforts to manipulate the voting were thwarted. When, in an election brilliantly engineered by Jefferson’s running mate, Aaron Burr, New Yorkers elected a Republican Assembly, Hamilton tried to persuade Governor John Jay to convene the lame-duck (Federalist) legislature to institute the popular vote, so that the Republican legislature would not be able to choose Jeffersonian electoral delegates. “It will not do to be overscrupulous,” Hamilton claimed, if the result would be “to prevent an atheist in Religion, and a fanatic in politics from getting possession of the helm of State.” Jay refused.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

karmicknight posted:

SA Decides, 1788-2000: "Hamilton Appreciation Station."

The real reason I started this thread was to get a bunch of goons really into musical theatre.

Now someone just needs to make a musical about Henry Clay or Daniel Webster.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 02:41 on Dec 10, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Thank you all for voting. In what is becoming known as the Revolution of 1800, John Jay has been elected President. His ascension is thought to be the result of a rare Hamiltonian-Jeffersonian alliance and Jay's intent to serve only a single term. In a humiliating demotion, His Elective Majesty Mr. John Adams has become Vice President. The relationship between the two men is, understandably, strained.

This role reversal also has many wondering if it might be time to reform the Electoral College. Making the runner-up Vice President seems like a recipe for disaster.

RESULTS BREAKDOWN

Most popular candidates:

1. John Jay – 65 votes (73%)
2. John Adams – 45 votes (50.6%)
3. Aaron Burr – 34 votes (38.2%)
4. Thomas Jefferson – 19 votes (21.3%)
5. Charles Cotesworth Pinckney – 15 votes (16.9%)

Most popular tickets:

1. John Adams / John Jay – 26 votes
2. Aaron Burr / John Jay – 22 votes
3. Aaron Burr / John Adams – 9 votes
4. John Jay / Charles Cotesworth Pinckney – 9 votes
5. Thomas Jefferson / John Jay – 8 votes
6. Thomas Jefferson / John Adams – 6 votes
7. John Adams / Charles Cotesworth Pinckney – 4 votes
8. Thomas Jefferson / Charles Cotesworth Pinckney – 2 votes

Most popular parties:

1. Federalist Party – 125 votes (70.2%)
2. Democratic-Republican Party – 52 votes (29.8%)

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 18:07 on Dec 13, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

ELECTION OF 1804

:siren: Click here to vote in the Election of 1804! :siren:

Background:

Four years after Jefferson’s first election, the United States seems back on track. Adams’s efforts to end the Quasi War have allowed American trade to flow back into Europe, bringing about an economic boom. A ceasefire between England and France has allowed tensions to cool in the United States, ending political agitation. A repeal of most of the Alien and Sedition Acts has allowed printers to reopen, restoring freedom of speech to even the strongest of Federalist strongholds. Jefferson’s purchase of Louisiana has only further bolstered his popularity and many poor farmers are already making plans to settle in the West. Only two dark spots remain on the horizon. First, Native American tribes have threatened to halt American expansion by any means necessary. Second, the constitutional prohibition on the slave trade is set to expire in 1808. Though these events have some worried, the public believes that both issues can be resolved without much dispute.

The only real source of tension in the new republic is the death of Alexander Hamilton at the hands of sitting Vice President Aaron Burr. Spurred by Hamilton’s sabotage of Aaron Burr’s political career, first by preventing his ascension to the Presidency and second by stopping his hijacking of the New York Federalist Party, Aaron Burr challenged Hamilton to a duel. Though many expected the dispute to end without bloodshed, it instead ended with Burr killing Hamilton. The details of this incident are disputed. Hamilton’s supporters allege that Burr shot Hamilton in cold blood after Hamilton signaled his intent to spare Burr. Burr, by contrast, believes that the whole duel was an elaborate suicide. According to Burr, Hamilton realized that the only way to lock Burr out of power was by making him responsible for the death of the “Federalist colossus.”

Whatever the reason, the incident has made Burr a pariah among both the Federalist and Democratic-Republicans. New York and New Jersey have indicted the Vice President on murder charges and have called for his arrest. Burr’s former friends in France and England have refused to shelter him and instead are calling for his death. Burr himself is making plans to flee to New Orleans after his term, so as to start a new life in the West. The Federalist Party is currently in a death spiral, with its two most prominent members now dead or disgraced.

The Candidates:

DEMOCRATIC-REPUBLICAN PARTY CANDIDATES:

Presidential Nominee: Thomas Jefferson
  • Notable Positions:President of the United States, Secretary of State, Ambassador to France, Governor of Virginia, Delegate to the Continental Congress, Author of the Declaration of Independence
  • Platform: Thomas Jefferson has been responsible for several revolutions over the last few years. Under his administration, he has convinced the several states to eliminate property requirements for voting, giving almost all white men the right to vote. Jefferson has also brought about the Twelfth Amendment, repairing a previously broken electoral system. Most recently, Jefferson presided over the purchase of Louisiana from the French. Though some within Jefferson’s party have accused him of violating his principles, the doubling of American territory has proven popular among the common people. Many see the purchase as America’s first step toward becoming an “agrarian republic,” a nation where every citizen will be able to own their own plantation or farm. Jefferson supports wars that will halt “the dangerous extension of the British Province of Canada and add to the Empire of liberty.” He has also brought America one of its first formal military victories against the Barbary pirates. He believes in a military based on the militia system. Jefferson owns slaves, but has suggested that he would support a permanent end to the slave trade when the constitutional prohibition on it expires in 1808.

Vice Presidential Nominee: George Clinton
  • Biography: A Revolutionary War hero and Governor of New York, Clinton is a powerful force in New York politics. Before independence, he was known for protecting the Sons of Liberty, an act which regularly earned him imprisonment by the British. During the war, he served as New York’s wartime governor and was responsible for coordinating the state’s war effort. His prior opposition to the Constitution has made Clinton a divisive figure outside the state. Hamilton has used his network of printers to spread rumors that Clinton is still opposed to the Constitution and will undo it if given power.
  • Platform: A former Anti-Federalist deeply committed to the small freehold farmers of New York’s countryside, George Clinton is known as the “yeoman politician.” He opposes Hamilton’s economic reforms, as he believes they will give the national government excessive authority over the state and individual. He is fanatically opposed to the British. Clinton would like to see the establishment of a standing army to protect existing territory and to seize British lands. He opposes slavery on a personal basis, but sees the issue as a low priority. He has been non-committal about the slave trade’s end in 1808. He supports renewing American ties with France.

FEDERALIST PARTY CANDIDATES:

Presidential Nominee: Charles Cotesworth Pinckney
  • Notable Positions: Minister of Finance, Ambassador to France, Delegate to the Constitutional Convention
  • Biography: Charles Pinckney is a nationally-respected leader who participated in the Revolutionary War and the Constitutional Convention. The eldest son of a prominent South Carolina planter, Charles Cotesworth Pinckney was tutored in London and studied law at Christ Church College in Oxford. Despite his loyalist upbringing and a long career serving colonial government, Pinckney joined the Patriot cause. Between 1789 and 1795 he declined presidential appointments to the U.S. Army, Supreme Court, Department of War, and Department of State. Instead, he accepted a position as Ambassador to France, where he helped defuse the XYZ Affair. Pinckney is known for being extremely scrupulous, refusing to pay bribes to facilitate negotiations.
  • Platform: With Adams’s retirement and Hamilton’s death, Pinckney is viewed as the last great candidate of the Federalist Party. Known as a “High Federalist,” Pinckney supports siding with Britain and declaring outright war against France. He believes in the need for a stronger, secularized national government that can preserve the ideals of the Revolution. He supported the Alien and Sedition Acts and believes legislators should serve without pay. Pinckney is a large slaveowner and opposed the immediate abolition of the slave trade at the Constitutional Convention. It is unknown whether he will support the slave trade’s ban when the current prohibition on it expires in 1808. He believes slavery to be integral to the economy of the South.

Vice Presidential Nominee: Rufus King
  • Notable Positions: United States Senator from New York, Diplomat to the United Kingdom, New York State Assemblyman, Director of the Bank of the United States, Delegate at the Constitutional Convention
  • Biography: Rufus King is known as that other Federalist. The son of a Massachusetts farmer/merchant/lumberjack/sea captain, King had a pleasant childhood until an angry mob ransacked his childhood home in a fit of revolutionary passion. The incident proved to be a formative experience for King, who went on to the Constitutional Convention to condemn Jeffersonian populism and (eventually) the destruction of the Articles of Confederation. Working closely with Alexander Hamilton, King helped prepare a final draft of the United States Constitution and used his oratory to ensure its ratification. Though King has struggled in politics, he does have the respect of prominent people within both major parties. He is also a friend of Francisco de Miranda, a little-known revolutionary and South American dissident.
  • Platform: Having been personally affected by mob violence, King believes in a strong central government that will be vigilant against threats, both inside and out. The national government must have the power to act against mob violence, as it did during the Whiskey Rebellion. It must also be strong enough to raise and control a large national army, so as to avoid conquest or a military coup. King believes that the United States should not align itself with European powers, but seek to end their domination of North and South America. He views Hamilton’s economic reforms as essential to the country’s future. King supports halting the expansion of slavery but is willing “to suffer the continuance of slaves until they can be gradually emancipated in states already overrun with them.” He strong favors an end to the slave trade when the constitutional prohibition on it expires in 1808.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Dec 13, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

the_paradigm_shift posted:

vv whoops abstain then, or writing in Satan.

Sorry, but the Marquis de Sade is constitutionally ineligible for the office of president.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

GlyphGryph posted:

Was there anyone else notable running in this election that just didn't receive any electoral votes, or was this really all there was?

Jefferson's massive popularity, the Democratic-Republican control of the press, and logistical restrictions in challenging either of the two parties really discouraged any third parties. The tertium quids are making some noise about Jefferson betraying his ideals via the Louisiana Purchase and Compact of 1802, but they aren't at the point where they are willing to challenge their party leader.

As we move through the Era of Good Feelings, there's not going to be a lot of candidates to challenge the Democratic-Republican consensus.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

reignonyourparade posted:

drat, as far as a unified timeline is concerned there's really no way to justify John Jay not participating this time around is there?

In addition to what has already been said, Jay's health was in decline by this point in history and he really wanted to retire from public life. Given his exhaustion and a likely desire not to end his Presidency as a humiliated has-been, like Adams, Jay's retirement is understandable. Depending on how these next few elections play out, I could see a single-term, anti-incumbent trend emerging.

The community's failure to elect Washington is probably the harder event to explain. The only explanation I can think of is Washington coming down with his near-fatal case of pneumonia a year ahead of schedule and the delegates electing Adams to avoid crisis right out of the gate. After that, it's just a matter of Adams being inoffensive enough to make Washington believe he is no longer needed.

Adams opposes slavery, but he isn't as much of a hardliner on it as his son is.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 12:13 on Dec 16, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Because I will be preparing for a Christmas party, the next election posting will probably be delayed to noon tomorrow.

In the meanwhile, please check out American Sphinx by Joseph Ellis and Madison's Hand by Mary Sarah Bilder. American Sphinx is one of the definitive biographies on Jefferson. Ellis goes into intimate detail on Jefferson's day-to-day life without falling prey to Jefferson's almost mythic status. Madison's Hand is an analysis of Madison's notes on the Constitutional Convention. It is a fascinating look into the Convention's inner workings and Madison's attempts to rectify his early Federalist-leaning views with his later position in the Democratic-Republican Party. I have borrowed both for reading over the holiday season and am thrilled to finally get the opportunity to read them.

As always, if you have a book or resource that is relevant to the American Presidency/ elections as a whole, let me know and I will add it to the opening post.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Thank you all for voting. In a landslide, Thomas Jefferson has been elected President. Jefferson promises to end the last decade of Federalist tyranny.

RESULTS BREAKDOWN

Most popular tickets:

1. Thomas Jefferson / George Clinton (Democratic-Republican) – 57 votes (69.5%)
2. Charles Cotesworth Pinckney / Rufus King (Federalist) – 25 votes (30.5%)

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

ELECTION OF 1808

:siren: Click here to vote in the Election of 1808! :siren:

Background:

The election of 1808 takes place in the aftermath of a largely successful Jefferson administration. Though the Democratic-Republicans have diffused most of the major issues facing the country, a small faction remains dissatisfied. These individuals, known as the “Old Republicans” or “tertium quids,” accuse Jefferson and Madison of betraying their promises to strengthen state governments and avoid abusing the Constitution. This faction has coalesced around James Monroe, whose opposition to Jefferson has become well-known within the party.

Other major issues this election are the Bank of the United States, whose charter will expire in 1811, America's foreign relations, the size of the military, and the Trial of Aaron Burr.

The Candidates:

DEMOCRATIC-REPUBLICAN PARTY CANDIDATES:

Presidential Nominee James Madison
  • Notable Positions: Secretary of State, Representative of Virginia, Writer of the Federalist Papers, Delegate at the Constitutional Convention, Primary Author of the Constitution, Delegate to the Congress of the Confederation from Virginia
  • Biography: A member of the Virginia aristocracy, James Madison first became prominent during the Constitutional Convention. There, he helped write and build consensus on a new Constitution. In 1799, Madison returned to politics as a member of the Virginia legislature, where he railed against the Federalist Party and supported nullification to counteract their influence. As a result of his spirited action and his personal relationship with Jefferson, Madison was appointed Secretary of State. In this position he oversaw the Louisiana Purchase, the Lewis and Clark expeditions, and the Barbary Wars.
  • Platform:Though he began his career as a strong defender of the national government, but has become a moderate Democratic-Republican due to Jefferson’s influence. Though he supports in decentralized authority in principle, Madison is afraid that the states may become more tyrannous that the national government if they are not kept in check. Madison is unenthusiastic about Hamilton’s Bank of the United States and fears that other countries, like Great Britain, may try to use it to subvert the United States government. Madison supports France and believes that a “Second War of Independence” against Britain may be necessary to secure the Republic’s independence. Madison is one of Virginia’s largest slave owners.

Vice Presidential Nominee George Clinton
  • Notable Positions: Vice President of the United States, Governor of New York
  • Biography: A Revolutionary War hero and Governor of New York, Clinton is a powerful force in New York politics. Before independence, he was known for protecting the Sons of Liberty, an act which regularly earned him imprisonment by the British. During the war, he served as New York’s wartime governor and was responsible for coordinating the state’s war effort. His prior opposition to the Constitution has made Clinton a divisive figure outside the state. Hamilton has used his network of printers to spread rumors that Clinton is still opposed to the Constitution and will undo it if given power.
  • Platform: A former Anti-Federalist deeply committed to the small freehold farmers of New York’s countryside, George Clinton is known as the “yeoman politician.” He opposes Hamilton’s economic reforms, as he believes they will give the national government excessive authority over the state and individual. He is fanatically opposed to the British. Clinton would like to see the establishment of a standing army to protect existing territory and to seize British lands. He opposes slavery on a personal basis, but sees the issue as a low priority. Of high importance to Clinton is the destruction of the Bank of the United States, which he sees as little more than a Federalist monstrosity. He supports renewing American ties with France and supporting its continental ambitions.

Vice Presidential Nominee John Langdon
  • Notable Positions: President pro tempore of the United States Senate, United States Senator from New Hampshire, Governor of New Hampshire
  • Biography: Langdon is the son of a wealthy farmer but has made a fortune as a merchant. Langdon vigorously supported the Revolution and served the Patriot cause in numerous capacities. Though he initially aligned with the Federalists, Langdon has embraced Jefferson and his belief in state authority.
  • Platform: Langdon has been unwillingly recruited by the tertium quids to oppose Madison due to his strong anti-nationalist credentials. Though initially a supporter of Hamilton’s economic reforms, Langdon became increasingly disenchanted with the Federalist Party. He believes the Bank of the United States to be tyrannous and supports its abolition. He has turned down appointments for the Secretaryship of the Navy over his distaste for warfare. Langdon supports a strengthening of state governments.

FEDERALIST PARTY CANDIDATES:

Presidential Nominee: Charles Cotesworth Pinckney
  • Platform: With Adams’s retirement and Hamilton’s death, Pinckney is viewed as the last great candidate of the Federalist Party. Known as a “High Federalist,” Pinckney supports siding with Britain and declaring outright war against France. He believes in the need for a stronger, secularized national government that can preserve the ideals of the Revolution. He supports the Alien and Sedition Acts and believes legislators should serve without pay. Pinckney is a large slaveowner and opposed the immediate abolition of the slave trade at the Constitutional Convention. He believes slavery to be integral to the economy of the South. Pinckney is an avid supporter of the Bank of the United States and has argued that abolishing it will destroy the value of America’s credit.

Vice Presidential Nominee Rufus King
  • Notable Positions: United States Senator from New York, Diplomat to the United Kingdom, New York State Assemblyman, Delegate at the Constitutional Convention
  • Biography: Rufus King is known as that other Federalist. The son of a Massachusetts farmer-merchant-lumberman-sea captain, King had a pleasant childhood until an angry mob ransacked his childhood home in a fit of revolutionary passion. The incident proved to be a formative experience for King, who went on to the Constitutional Convention to condemn Jeffersonian populism and (eventually) the destruction of the Articles of Confederation. Working closely with Alexander Hamilton, King helped prepare a final draft of the United States Constitution and used his oratory to ensure its ratification. Though King has struggled in politics, he does have the respect of prominent people within both major parties. He is also a friend of Francisco de Miranda, a little-known revolutionary and South American dissident.
  • Platform: Having been personally affected by mob violence, King believes in a strong central government that will be vigilant against threats, both inside and out. The national government must have the power to act against mob violence, as it did during the Whiskey Rebellion. It must also be strong enough to raise and control a large national army, so as to avoid conquest or a military coup. King believes that the United States should not align itself with European powers, but seek to end their domination of North and South America. He views Hamilton’s economic reforms as essential to the country’s future. King supports halting the expansion of slavery but is willing “to suffer the continuance of slaves until they can be gradually emancipated in states already overrun with them.” King has demanded the Bank of the United States be maintained and has argued that its destruction will have a corrosive effect on the economy.

DEMOCRATIC-REPUBLICAN TERTIUM QUID CANDIDATES

Presidential Nominee: James Monroe
  • Notable Positions: Governor of Virginia, Ambassador to France, United States Senator from Virginia, Delegate to the Congress of the Confederation from Virginia
  • Biography: James Monroe is the wealthy orphan son of a wealthy Virginia planter. During the Revolution, he fought at Trention, Monmouth, Brandywine, and Germantown ad suffered several near-fatal wounds. After the war, he studied law and met Thomas Jefferson, who adopted Monroe as a protégé. Always independent-minded, however, Monroe’s relationship with Jefferson and Madison has become strained over the issue of foreign relations. Despite Monroe’s pleas, Jefferson has refused to even recognize Monroe’s diplomatic efforts.
  • Platform: James Monroe has aligned himself with the tertium quids, a loose coalition of Democratic-Republicans who believe that Jefferson and Madison have subverted the party’s principles of decentralization, rejection of public debts, and a general hatred of warfare. Monroe believes that the United States should not try to antagonize the British and was personally hurt when Jefferson repudiated the Jay Treaty. He does not believe the country can withstand another war with the British or French. Monroe supports dramatically shrinking the federal government so as to empower local and state governments. He despises the Bank of the United States. Monroe is a slaveowner, but considers the institution to be evil. He has proposed a system of gradual abolition, wherein former slaves will be deported to Africa.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 02:14 on Dec 23, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

SPECIAL NOTE ON THE ELECTION OF 1808: As you may have noticed, there are several oddities about the tickets this election. In determining the winners, I will count the Presidential and Vice Presidential votes separately. That means that if "James Madison / N/A" comes in first and "Charles Cotesworth Pinckney / Rufus King" comes in second, the winner will be "James Madison / Rufus King." Please feel free to vote strategically to get the ticket you want.

I apologize for the delay. Happy Holidays.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

troubled teen posted:

Goddamn these elections suck.

I blame Aaron Burr.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm confused - why is there no Monroe/Langdon? Wasn't he "unwillingly recruited" by Monroe?

The tertium quids are not an organized third party so much as a very loosely organized group of like-minded individuals within the Democratic-Republican Party. Though the Virginia branch is the most influential, led by John Randolph of Roanoke, there's three different "tertium quid" coalitions across the country representing different groups and interests. Because they are not organized, the ballot in Virginia would only read "Monroe." Pennsylvania's faction only was able to secure Langdon ballot access as a Vice Presidential Candidate for Madison, and even then it was against his will. There's nowhere in the country where you could vote "Monroe / Langdon."

Empress Theonora posted:

Pretty soon enough time will have passed that we won't be able to make Hamilton jokes anymore. :smith:

SA Decides, 1788-2000: I'm a slave to the central banking system

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Thank you all for voting. Perhaps driven by a desire to preserve the Bank of the United States and Hamilton’s (pbuh) legacy, the Federalists have eked out a victory over the Democratic-Republicans and their insurgent wing, the tertium quids. Charles Cotesworth Pinckney has been elected President and by his side stands Rufus King.

With such a strong showing from Monroe, the Democratic-Republicans may be forced to retool their party to focus more on a small federal government and fiscal conservatism.

RESULTS BREAKDOWN

Most Popular Ticket:

Charles Cotesworth Pinckney / Rufus King (Federalist) - 33 votes (47.8%)
James Monroe / N/A (Democratic Republican) - 22 votes (31.9%)
James Madison / George Clinton (Democratic-Republican) - 7 votes (10.1%)
James Madison / John Langdon (Democratic-Republican) - 4 votes (5.8%)
George Clinton / James Monroe (Democratic-Republican) - 2 votes (2.9%)
George Clinton / James Madison (Democratic-Republican) - 1 vote (1.4%)

Most Popular Parties:

Democratic-Republican Party - 36 votes
Federalist Party - 66 votes

Note: The tertium quids are not a formal organization, but a loosely organized insurgency within the Democratic-Republican Party. Though the exact number varies depending on how you count, the tertium quids make up about 25 votes (75%) of the Democratic-Republican total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

ELECTION OF 1812

:siren: Click here to vote in the Election of 1812! :siren:

Background:

The year is 1812 and after two decades, displeasure with the British has finally exploded into outright war. Upset by impressment, British support for American Indian raids, assaults on America’s trade with France, and a refusal to recognize America’s expansion, President James Madison has finally convinced the Congress to declare war. Thus far, this struggle has gone poorly. Detroit is under Canadian occupation. The South is under blockade. New Englanders are discussing secession as the American army retreats from Canada.

This conflict, known as the “Second War of Independence” in the South and “Mr. Madison’s War” in New England, has fractured both the nation and the Democratic-Republican Party on regional lines. Though he was expected to be re-nominated unanimously, the Democratic-Republican Convention of 1812 saw mass walk-outs and protests by Northern “Doves.” To prevent Madison’s re-election, and the possible collapse of the Union, Democratic-Republican opponents to Madison have done the unthinkable – they have decided to work with the Federalists.

Though disgraced nationally, the Federalists have thrown their entire support behind the dissident Democratic-Republican DeWitt Clinton. A nephew of George Clinton and friend of George Washington, DeWitt Clinton is considered a rising political star and the North’s best challenge to the Virginian Madison. The Democratic-Republican and Federalist Alliance has accused Madison of incompetently leading the country into war out of a “slavish devotion to the French.” Madison, for his part, has accused the fusion ticket of treasonous slander and corruption. Together with his party’s War Hawk’s Madison has accused Clinton of being a puppet of Northern aristocrats who want to return America to its colonial status. The election of 1812 is expected to be a race between these two men, and a referendum on the pragmatism of the Jefferson and Madison administrations.

Besides these two candidates, one last opponent to Madison remains: Former Ambassador to Great Britain Rufus King. Though the Federalist Party as a whole has thrown its support behind DeWitt Clinton, the candidate’s campaign tactics have left some Federalists unhappy. In particular, Clinton’s tendency to adopt an anti-war stance in the Northeast and a pro-war stance in the South has made prominent party leaders skeptical about Clinton’s devotion to immediate peace. Rufus King remains as an alternative candidate for uncompromisingly Federalist voters.

The Candidates:

DEMOCRATIC-REPUBLICAN “WAR HAWK” CANDIDATES:

Presidential Nominee James Madison
  • Notable Positions: Secretary of State, Representative of Virginia, Writer of the Federalist Papers, Delegate at the Constitutional Convention, Primary Author of the Constitution, Delegate to the Congress of the Confederation from Virginia
  • Biography: A member of the Virginia aristocracy, James Madison first became prominent during the Constitutional Convention. There, he helped write and build consensus on a new Constitution. In 1799, Madison returned to politics as a member of the Virginia legislature, where he railed against the Federalist Party and supported nullification to counteract their influence. As a result of his spirited action and his personal relationship with Jefferson, Madison was appointed Secretary of State. In this position he oversaw the Louisiana Purchase, the Lewis and Clark expeditions, and the Barbary Wars.
  • Platform: Madison’s campaign focuses almost exclusively on the Second War of Independence and his management of it. Though he claims never to have sought war, Madison urges the country to fight vigorously against an enemy “which [is] known to spare neither age nor sex… [from its] most shocking butcheries.” Madison promises to fight the war more vigorously than ever before and to secure the northern states from invasion. He further vows to fight onward, until the British agree to respect American sovereignty, allow the free movement of American trade, and end impressment. There are other whisperings about the possible annexation of Canada and an expansion of the United States into Indian territories, but those are not official war goals. In all other affairs, Madison is an adamant Democratic-Republican. He opposes central banking, supports France, and believes in a military based on state militias. He is a slave owner.

Vice Presidential Nominee Elbridge Gerry
  • Notable Positions: Governor of Massachusetts, Representative from Massachusetts,
  • Biography: In national politics, there are as few politicians as controversial as Elbridge Gerry. The son of a wealthy British family, Elbridge Gerry actively resisted the Patriot cause during the American Revolution and was one of three men who refused to sign the United States Constitution. Though he later acceded to both documents, Gerry’s fear of “demagoguery” and has made him an unusual figure within the Democratic-Republican Party. Though he was dispatched to help resolve the XYZ Affair, some believe Gerry has “done more injury to this country… than he will be able to make atonement in his whole life.” He has the unique distinction of being the namesake of the term “gerrymandering.”
  • Platform: Gerry is a zealous supporter of Madison and has accused the Federalist Party of actively helping British forces to help their electoral chances. He supports the mass arrest of Federalist printers and party leaders. In all other affairs, Gerry is a typical Democratic-Republican. He is a passionate supporter of American-French ties and has paid special attention to Elizabeth Patterson Bonaparte, Napoleon’s sister-in-law, to retain good ties. Gerry supports decentralization and reducing the size of the federal government. He supports states’ rights but opposes increased individual freedoms because “the people have the wildest ideas of government in the world.”

DEMOCRATIC-REPUBLICAN / FEDERALIST “DOVE” CANDIDATES:

Presidential Nominee DeWitt Clinton
  • Notable Positions: United States Senator from New York, Mayor of New York City, New York State Assemblyman
  • Biography: DeWitt Clinton is the head of New York’s Clinton family, a nephew of the recently deceased Vice President George Clinton, and a former confidant of George Washington. Though he lacks military experience, DeWitt Clinton has often drawn upon the memory of his father, a military war hero, to engage with former veterans and the state militia. As Mayor of New York he was known for personally quelling riots and has, notably, defended Catholic immigrants from angry mobs. He is an avid proponent of the fine arts and has used his ties to Manhattan Bank to sponsor New York’s cultural scene.
  • Platform: Though his backers are largely driven by a desire to end Mr. Madison’s War as soon as possible, Clinton has adopted a unique campaign strategy to avoid appearing as an appeaser. He gives anti-war speeches in places where he knows the voters oppose the war, but also gives anti-British speeches and calls for a vigorous prosecution of the war in areas where he knows that war against Britain is popular. In private, Clinton’s backers claim that these positions are not contradictory. Once Clinton is President, they argue, Clinton will massively upgrade the military capabilities of the nation, and then pursue peace from a position of equal or superior strength. This tactic has earned him the disgust of former President John Adams, who has crossed party lines to support James Madison. In all other affairs, DeWitt Clinton is a moderate who falls along the fringes of both Democratic-Republican and Federalist parties. He supports large public works projects to stimulate the economy, including a canal network to link the Great Lakes, but opposes the centralized government advocated by some Hamiltonians. He supports the abolition of slavery.

Vice Presidential Nominee Jared Ingersoll
  • Notable Positions: Attorney General of Pennsylvania, Delegate from Pennsylvania to the Second Continental Congress,
  • Biography: Jared Ingersoll’s political career began in 1765, when a group of radical Patriots tarred and feathered his father before hanging his effigy outside Jared’s childhood home. Seeking to escape the rising tensions of New England, Ingersoll left New Haven to study law in Philadelphia, where he associated with moderate Patriots and eventually supported independence. Always a supporter of strong central government, Ingersoll objected to the Articles of Confederation and participated in the Constitutional Convention. He has since helped define constitutional law from Philadelphia as Attorney General.
  • Platform: Ingersoll has described the War of 1812 as a “miscarriage without even the heroism of disaster” fought with “gross misconduct [by] Madison and his ministers.” Jared Ingersoll vocally opposes “Mr. Madison’s War,” and has demanded the Administration immediately seek peace. In all other matters, Ingersoll is a moderate Federalist who supports central banking, increased authority for the national government, and close ties with Great Britain. He does not own slaves.

FEDERALIST PARTY CANDIDATES

Presidential Nominee Rufus King
  • Notable Positions: United States Senator from New York, Diplomat to the United Kingdom, New York State Assemblyman, Delegate at the Constitutional Convention
  • Biography: Rufus King is known as the Last Great Federalist. The son of a Massachusetts farmer-merchant-lumberman-sea captain, King had a pleasant childhood until an angry mob ransacked his childhood home in a fit of revolutionary passion. The incident proved to be a formative experience for King, who went on to the Constitutional Convention to condemn Jeffersonian populism and (eventually) the destruction of the Articles of Confederation. Working closely with Alexander Hamilton, King helped prepare a final draft of the United States Constitution and used his oratory to ensure its ratification. Though King has struggled in politics, he does have the respect of prominent people within both major parties. He is also a friend of Francisco de Miranda, a little-known revolutionary and South American dissident.
  • Platform: Rufus King is one of the most prominent critics of Mr. Madison’s War in the Senate. He considers it a “war of party, and not one of Country.” The state militias have been illegally transformed from a defensive force to an offensive regular army. Congress has ignored public opinion. Madison has urged for war not to save the captured seamen, but to protect his electoral prospects. As such. King has advocated passive resistance to the Madison Administration to “preserve the country from ruin.” King is fundamentally opposed to violence or an expanded military. He does not believe the public would support a strong military or pay the taxes needed to support it. In all other affairs, King is a High Federalist. He believes in a strong central government, considers Napoleon to be a traitor to the French people, and supports a state-directed economy. King supports halting the expansion of slavery but is willing “to suffer the continuance of slaves until they can be gradually emancipated in states already overrun with them.”

Vice Presidential Nominee William Richardson Davie
  • Notable Positions: Governor of North Carolina, Grand Master of Masons of North Carolina, Lieutenant in the Continental Army
  • Biography: Davie is one of the lesser Founding Fathers, a man who was old enough to fight in the Revolutionary War but too young to affect the Articles of Confederation or Constitution in any substantial way. Most prominently, Davie helped defend Charlotte, North Carolina during General Lord Cornwallis’s advance. Though Cornwallis eventually occupied Charlotte, a combination of guerilla warfare and supply problems forced the British to withdraw from “the hornet’s nest.” After the war, Davie became a circuit court lawyer, orator, and politician. He is the founder of the University of North Carolina, a Federalist island in a sea of Democratic-Republicans.
  • Platform: Davie opposes Mr. Madison’s War and considers it responsible for the South’s economic woes. Because plantations are largely dependent on foreign commerce, any prolonged blockade risks catastrophe. He is worried by the “monstrous strides toward despotism made by the party in power” and is particularly concerned about Elbridge Gerry’s place on the Democratic-Republican ticket. Though Davie is a military man, he opposes the creation of a large standing army to avoid national discontent. He believes that heavy taxes and conscription will drive New England to secede and plunge the United States into civil war. In all other affairs, Davie is a moderate Federalist. He supports rapprochement with the Indian Tribes. He is a slaveowner.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 03:01 on Dec 28, 2015

• Locked thread