Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I like broken stuff, but not when, like, my opponent is able to combo off on a turn that isn't 4.

You're a monster if you can't appreciate losing two games in a row to blightsteel via mana vault and tinker turn 2 then mana vault, izzet signet, tinker turn 1.

This is the broken cube poo poo I live for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

stinkles1112 posted:

I like this set, there are a lot of neat cards, they gave my pet strategy (Ghostfire Blade) a lot of love, and I especially think they did a good job considering the whole block paradigm change but godDAMN the art is disappointing. I hope this hyper-CG style doesn't persist.

I'm sure the art style will be back in the near future, just slightly shittier.

:laugh:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Snacksmaniac posted:

Doesn't fit. Will have to be Proxy Trick Jarrett

Email submission to therealtrick420@gmail.com

You wouldn't steal someone's identity

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

I'm dumb but I don't see how this confirms evil avacyn(although it does confirm zero copyediting)

"Betrayed by the hope it held so dear"

Edit: beaten word for word and now this is a terrible first post of the page

Content: uh they should reprint uktabi orangutan, the best magic card ever made

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Maro retweeted this tonight, hopefully Trick Daddy mcNasty can lay the smack on that kid for stealing wizards IP

https://twitter.com/keldson/status/691818638299504641

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
New weird and cute behavior in MTGO: when using birchlore Rangers' activated ability, it taps the birchlore Rangers. However, you can click it again and it untaps, then another elf and it taps both as if the cost were paid. So the card works correctly but I had to pray that you could still tap the birchlore otherwise the elves pauper deck basically doesn't function correctly.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Cynic Jester posted:

Liliana, The Tamiyo

Liliana, Eldritch Moonsocks

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Bugsy posted:

So why does Simian Spirit Guide tap in your hand when you exile it for mana on mtgo?

I posted about this recently with Birchlore Rangers, which also "taps" when it's ability is activated. I say "taps" because you can tap it to pay the cost as normal; it just untaps and then taps again, this time for real.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

Gonna do some Oath drafts tonight on MODO, haven't even touched the format but I've watched a few streams. Any tips/recommendations?

Everyone else is wrong, draft 6 bone saws and some warm bodies and win.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Snacksmaniac posted:

I specced hard on ludes and it paid off, big time.

Bill Cosby plays magic?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

uggy posted:

it is always fun telling girls i play magic because i'm incredibly attractive

I went on a date with a girl who previously dated a magic pro. I think the magic playing worked in my favor, but trying to explain crackgate might have hurt my chances

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with the secondary market?! :stare:

Apparently people really want to make my old kitchen table UWB artifacts deck.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I signed up for the Card Kingdom Pauper tournament in a couple weeks and I have no idea what deck I should take. I play UB teachings and Soul Sisters online, but the Elves and Bogles decks look awesome (Bogles a little less so, only because I've Edicted a lethal creature after a Bogles player emptied their hand onto it many times). The Delver variants look OK, but I'm not sure that's the kind of magic I want to play. Anyone have a pet deck or rogue Pauper brew?

Recently I swung for 117 damage, leaving my opponent at 20 life playing pauper elves n turn 5 or 6 In the mirror match. I killed him the next turn with a wirewood pride.

Pauper elves rules if you like having a shitton of creatures and hands of 25 cards where you can play all of them except the lands.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Uktabi Orangutan or Kiki-Jiki for me.

"Is it true that the apes wear furs of gold when they marry?"

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
They're called cryptoliths because the flavor text on the land says so. Is there a "you gotta read the cards" emote?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

dragon enthusiast posted:

Pauper too expensive for you to afford? Play the format designed for the poorest of the poor, Bulk (only cards less than $1 are legal)

Calling it now, Wizards is trying to kill Bulk

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

MiddleEastBeast posted:

From Caleb's latest article on Madness:

that's sick

I had a question about madness today so I looked up the rules, saw a forum post saying you can discard a madness card to exile during cleanup, which gives you priority again, thus allowing you to cast, say, dark ritual into paying the madness cost. Anyone confirm/deny?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

If we can get him to dress like Don Cherry he might still be watchable.

HEY LISTEN UP OUT THERE YOU YOUNG CANADIAN MAGIC PLAYERS: MAGIC IS ABOUT SMASHING FACE WITH FAT CREATURES, THATS HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME THE RIGHT WAY. THESE DAYS YOU'VE GOT THESE SOFT LAZY EURO PLAYERS WITH THEIR CONTROL DECKS AND COMBO-WOMBO DECKS AND BIG COLORLESS FREAK AL DRAZI DECKS, CROWDING THE GOOD CANADIAN BOYS OUT OF PLAYING OUR GAME WITH GRIT AND TRUCULENCE AND SOME HEAVY HITTING GRIZZLY BEARS SUITED UP WITH A LEONIN SCIMITAR

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Make sure you stay until the end for the parents who think a box of every set is gonna put their kid through college

Also, count me as one guy who had no idea Alesha was supposed to be a trans character.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Clip Wings has some pretty serious issues with the 1/1 spirit token theme in the set though.

Clip wings is great in sealed, probably going to be nigh unplayable in draft.

It murdered my Goldknight Castigator like 3 times last night.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

vandalism posted:

They used to have books that corresponded to sets. I liked the ones I read. They do that anymore?

Mostly it's fanfic quality fiction published online now. Maro once wrote for Roseanne therefore it makes sense for internal WotC people to write Magic Fiction

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Sestze posted:

he joked about it in the first vid I posted, but unfortunately Kibler's interaction is still needed because he has to cut after every ghost quarter/flooded strand/tarn sacrifice. As such he couldn't hit the can without incurring a slow play infraction.

Is the cut required by rule? I've never thought twice about an opponent refusing to cut or even doing it myself sometimes in limited.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

In competitive REL, yes.

Probably should have figured. I'm sure the pros realize it makes no difference and yet do it every time.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Skyl3lazer posted:

eek

I can't even really agree that this lawsuit is spurious, the judges actually have a nonzero chance of winning this if it actually goes to trial (which it probably won't)

There's a case to be made that they're contractors, specifically because wizards does not set the hours the judges have to work, or where, or in what sort of attire, which is one of the litmus tests of employee vs. contract worker. However their tasks are specifically set by wizards and I assume wizards sets rules and regs for the judges, both of which land on the "employee" side of employee vs. contract.

I hope wizards gets boned on this because unfair labor practice is a pet peeve of mine, and I especially hate how they rely on the goodwill of the players without ever throwing much of a bone to us that doesn't involve their profits.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

I'm pretty sure that judges do have a dress code.

Lmao, that's one of the example "requirements set by company that constitute an employment agreement." Also, is the dress code "your shirt must have been washed in the last 2 weeks. Your pants may have no more than 3 unexplained stains in the crotch area?"

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

pakman posted:

Innistrad should just hire Geralt. He'd fix the monster problem

Regis, the Higher Vampire
Legendary creature
BBB
5/5 indestructible. whenever Regis is dealt damage, exile it. Put X time counters on it. It gains suspend X, where X is the damage dealt to Regis.

Im not sure how to template that but now I want a fan set of The Witcher cards. No, not Gwent.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 27, 2016

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I'm a freak who loves lands with the old angled T symbol on them. Don't know what it is, but I love those drat things.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Utility: master of etherium, the first card I ever built a decent kitchen table deck with.

Flavor: Uktabi Orangutangs. Self-evident.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

The Lord of Hats posted:

I didn't realize Michael Jordan played Magic.

*Little kid taps for R, hesitates before casting Lightning Bolt*

"Shoot it, midget"

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Boo

Content: anybody got that post of good MaRo podcasts handy? I've had a hankering for some magic talk lately.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Lsv today, multi-queuing: "how did I draw four cards? Oh, I f8ed through 4 turns."

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

Everyone wants more women in magic in the abstract but there are relatively few dudes who can handle getting their rear end handed to them by a girl.

Things are improving in gaming slowly but a big part of that movement is because there is continual awareness and people are starting to advocate for not being giant dickheads to women.

No one is buying this as an actual defense of mtg culture. "Improving in gaming slowly" sounds like complete nonsense when there's a woman about to be nominated for President.

This poo poo is dumb, let's talk about "cool" early playing experience kitchen table magic decks instead.

My first and favorite kitchen table deck ever was an artifacts deck that varied between UWb and UW. In its final form it was pretty well tuned to my playgroup's metagame, playing masters of etherium, glint hawk idols, tempered steel, and some other cheap pieces like frogmite, welding jar, and oblivion ring. However, I always got wrecked by my friend's jund deck that ran skullclamp (maybe Pontius Pilate will describe it in here). So I bought playsets of swords and enlightened tutor, everyone in our house playgroup accused me of starting "an arms race," and they built a cube instead of playing any more swingy kitchen table magic.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

Well, in any case, you probably want more than four creatures total that you can cast in the first two turns.

I've drilled the necessity of the two drop into my brain after listening to Limited Resources talk about how important it is. And this format seems to be fairly fast in draft with all the 1 and 2 drop vampires, humans and even a handful of powerful 2-drop werewolves against which I really don't want to be casting a Stoic Builder on turn 3 and hoping to stabilize.

Echoing the LR lesson learned. Think LSV suggests 7-8 2 drops if you're in aggro, and that's spells that you actually want to cast turn 2.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

uggy posted:

I'm used to mono white though

Cast Leonin den guard, equip Leonin scimitar

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

Rancor

still probably bad though

Mutagenic growth is probably the correct answer for "efficient +2 power at instant speed"

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I don't understand how Delver could be fun in Modern. I just want no part of that card without Brainstorm or Ponder. As for Zoo/Infect the logic is that the Phyrexian Mana cards are broken so you want to be abusing them and those decks do that best.

Ponder is too busted for modern, meanwhile CoCo players are popping out 6 cmc in creatures for 4 mana at instant speed.

:negative:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Rally was actually less parasitic than the original allies because it affects all your creatures rather than just allies; Cohort was super parasitic though

Devoid/colourless matters wasn't parasitic at all, artifacts are in every set and the previous block had morph

Converge was if anything anti-parasitic because there was very little 5c support in the block itself

Ingest was about as parasitic as you can get though, an additional trigger that does basically nothing unless you also have processors, sending cards to a zone that by design is rarely interacted with

I was going to mention ingest and processing, but those are less parasitic than arcane, for example, because exile is at least deciduous (is it evergreen? My offhand card knowledge is... Not as good as some in this thread).

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Remember when Cedric mentioned wizards had never even approached him about coverage? That's proof positive they don't have a clue where to even start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'd be down for a draft with goons

I live here so yeah I would be down to draft something probably

Edit: and yes we could draft Pontius pilate's cube which is really excellent IMO, especially after amazon sent me a very powerful shipment of definitely not fake magic cards

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 17, 2016

• Locked thread