Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

What grinds my gears the most is when people say "combat?" or "attacks?" or something like that, I say OK, and then they try to activate their manlands. Then when I inform them that it's too late to activate their manlands, they try to backtrack and say oh I meant go to beginning of combat. Unless you're floating mana or playing with mana drain, the transition from main phase to beginning of combat is not really something you need to announce that often, whereas going to declare attackers is very relevant, especially in a format with manlands, cryptics, drowner of hope, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Crumbilng Vestige?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

When I attempted to play miniatures games, people would insist on high roll on one die. Using more than one die or using a method that couldn't have ties was so absurd to them that they wouldn't even consider it.
Yeah, that's so infuriating. It's hard to believe that a person playing a complex strategic game competitively can't wrap his or her mind around why rolling even/odd takes way less time and effort. It's like they have this superstition that rolling the dice is a competition in and of itself and they want to prove themselves in it.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Because WoTC isn't publishing any articles this week there's nothing to get mad and angrily message Rosewater on tumblr about, a process known as a Mad Phase. Normally every day WoTC does something and we get mad at it then we get mad at people getting mad (Mad Phase 2 or Post-content Mad Phase). Getting mad at the absence of things at which to get mad only lasts one Mad Phase. We're having to pass Mad Phases without doing anything, which is a total feelbad move.

lol

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

As someone who never watches NFL, to me NFL looks like a bunch of guys standing around and then someone throws a ball and they run around and then they stand around some more.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

While they probably should take better care of the digital side of the game, I think that they should actually double down on the physical, face-to-face game and really push that. Hearthstone is a game made from the ground up to be digital, so it's hard for magic to compete in that area. Magic lets you interact with real people face to face, which is something that digital CCGs can't offer. The reason I play magic is because it's a really good game and you're not just sitting home alone behind a screen, but hanging out and having fun and smoking dope with friends in real life while playing a cool rear end game.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah I agree, it's not like everyone is a super good guy. I was mostly referring to regularly going to events as groups of friends, like informal teams. During the breaks you find each other and tell them about your game or how weird your opponent was and joke around. Lots of players are in facebook chats with like 4-10 people in them that talk about mtg stuff and go to events together. Seems to me like wizards should encourage that sort of camaraderie by giving players the ability to make teams and track their achievements and progress as a team. Lots of young people like to play games competitively together with friends (like dota, etc.) Hire me wizards

hey mom its 420 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 6, 2017

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Wizards have to strike a balance between reprinting cards to sell them but not reprinting them so much that their value drops. The hardest thing for me to understand is how players really want to play modern but wizards somehow sees that as a problem instead of as a business opportunity.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I recall hearing somewhere that there are going to be gods, but their mechanic won't be devotion but something else.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Cool deck to play if you hate yourself or are a literal monkey that can only perform basic rudamentary tasks: RG valakut. The deck is comprised only of lands and ramp spells (even Primeval Titan is ramp spell) and you just play your lands and ramp spells and win. It helps if you can count to six and are good at multiplying stuff by 3.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Also, are you a Jund/Junk player by chance :v:

I mainly play variations of Eldrazi, so I get kicked in by valakut almost every time. I think everyone should play whatever the hell they want, I just can't believe some people don't find RG valakut decks extremely boring.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

also don't get too worked up over magic on the internet. just play when you want, but when you're not playing do other stuff

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah, modern is actually pretty great right now, despite what random nerds on the internet would have you believe.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I remember MaRo saying somewhere that he would prefer spells not to fizzle when their targets are illegal, but just to do as much as possible. And that it's a change that would break too many things if changed in the rules now. I personally don't think it would impact the game in any negative way, it would just make it more intuitive for new players.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

If that change was made, presumably auras would still go to the graveyard if their target was made illegal. But to do that, the rules regarding auras would have to be reworked as well, otherwise they'd just enter play and you could attach them to any other legal permanent.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

Modern is bad and its diversity is a problem.

umm no actually modern owns right now

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

:negative:

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

That art is not bad, but nothing about it says 2/2 super aggro haste guy to me, it conveys no motion.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

True, I guess I'm just used to the old art more. The old art has better composition though?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

People on the internet are really obtuse though. They want wizards to follow the secondary market and reprint cards that are expensive, but when wizards does something like reprinting snap at mythic (since they have to keep some cards expensive to keep selling packs in the future) everyone is like but but wizards i thought you don't follow the secondary market :(

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah, I understand they can't acknowledge the secondary market for legal reasons or whatever (although I don't really see why, it's their game), but I'd prefer them to just not comment on stuff like that instead of engaging in double-speak.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I own playsets of most of the really expensive cards that are getting reprinted and I think it's great. More people will be able to get them and play with me so that I can roll them with my Eldrazi Tron deck. Also it's unrealistic to expect cards to hold $100 prices forever, but they'll still remain valuable.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

What are the most notable cards that are expensive and haven't been reprinted? Karn and Hierarch obviously, and also Spellskite. Ugin is also making his way up in the world of value ...

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah, market research isn't the bend all be all. It's often skewed towards the results that the companies doing it want to get. And just because players say they like A, B and C doesn't mean that they will actually like the finished product that has those things, because it's not guaranteed that those things work together well.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

can't wait to play against that card in the prerelease

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

but what will you cut???? :eek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Are you guys sure that none of the exceptions for rule 400.7 apply here? http://magiccards.info/rule/400-general.html

• Locked thread