Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I wish they would print some playable Eldrazi aggro guys at a CMC of something other than three. Like we've got Herald of Kozilek, Wasteland Strangler, Ruination Guide, Vile Aggregate, Molten Nursery, now this guy, plus I want Kolaghan's Command and Exquisite Firecraft, and I want all of those cards to be in the Ghostfire Blade deck that I just know is gonna be a thing.

Then to curve out ahead of all that you have... Sludge Crawler and Forerunner of Slaughter, which wants to be a three drop half the time too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
The color power levels in this set are going to have way more impact on the draft format than the power levels in BFZ. Green could end up highly playable, hell an excellent green common has already been spoiled. If there's a better common fight spell than Unnatural Aggression or whatever it's called, green is no longer grossly underpowered.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Angry Grimace posted:

They did the patented MTG Cheesecake Angel complete with wonky-as-gently caress proportions to try and fit her in the box. Her legs are like 6 feet long and stuck out as weird as gently caress angles.

I thought the same thing at first because it looks like the bit of toga flying off at almost a right angle to her body looks like her other leg but after realizing what her actual legs were it doesn't look so bad

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Angry Grimace posted:

I have no idea even right now where her right leg is supposed to be.

Touching the left one, with the foot crossed behind. She's got like a gold thigh-plate on but only on the one leg

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Nah do it in Grixis, use Skyspawner, Herald of Koz and Blight Herder. Or do it in four color since we're getting devoid-city of brass.

And Ghostfire Blade. Love Ghostfire Blade.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Yeah that guy is probably good enough but what I'd really like to see is another decent one drop to stick a turn two Ghostfire Blade on. In an ideal world they'll give me a devoid 2/1 for 1

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Elyv posted:

at least the truly putrid names have largely vanished I think

Dude, "Pia and Kiran Nalaar" exists

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

WhalerWren posted:

Aaaand I missed one.

Quality story-telling.

Eurgh

This is like, an eighth grader's creative writing assignment. That they forgot about and threw together the period before it was due.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Elyv posted:

the first things that jump to mind for that haste card are zada and, especially, monastery mentor.

Well there just going to print my entire wishlist for GhostfireBlade.dec aren't they

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
I like this set, there are a lot of neat cards, they gave my pet strategy (Ghostfire Blade) a lot of love, and I especially think they did a good job considering the whole block paradigm change but godDAMN the art is disappointing. I hope this hyper-CG style doesn't persist.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Lottery of Babylon posted:

We've done it. We've reached a point where Shock is too strong for standard.

Shock with an upside is currently in standard.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I like lower power levels in standard. The fewer Siege Rhinos and Mantis Riders around the better. I like games being a little durdley and less swingy, and lower average power level seems to lead to gameplay decisions, deck construction and player skill being bigger determinant factors than just "turn 4 Siege Rhino turn 5 Siege Rhino oops I win".

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

TheKingofSprings posted:

You're the loving worst and may the outliers trample and drain you for 3 until the end of your days

"Imagine a pachyderm, stamping on a human face forever"
- en-Kor expression meaning "get used to it"

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
I'll tell you what, at a minimum my Assault Formation deck is pretty high on that guy right now

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Well Patrick and Cedrick got excited a few times and I would always laugh when they lost it.

This is just boring. Also they keep being wrong.

"Affinity has no way to draw extra cards" like 4 turns after he cast Thoughtcast
"Maybe tom won't cast the second pump and just let this attack as a 5/5" as they are discussing the galvanic blast in response to the first pump. You can't leave it at 5 because it's loving dead if he doesn't save it. Pay attention.

Getting basic game analysis wrong and failing to RTFC are much, much worse than being boring as far as commentary goes imo

They should hire John Madden

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Um... Well you see WotC has a vested interest in making sure that.. uh... You know, they have to make money to keep being able to... make... games. And, like, Sharpie is technically a direct competitor so......

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Ultima66 posted:

No really the reason Trick Jarrett is a total corporate mouthpiece is because WotC literally fired a guy in 2013 for saying it's okay to proxy for EDH on Twitter.

I'm not saying I don't believe you buy did anybody have a source for this. It seems.... incredible.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Something tells me that if you sit around your LGS playtesting with proxies, WotC isn't gonna come kick the door in and strip away all their privileges. The dude who said "just stop pressing the issue" is pretty right on.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

JerryLee posted:

the statement zoness literally says "the store has zero involvement (including no use of Event Reporter)" (emphasis mine) so that implies that there are other things that you could get nailed for as 'involvement.' what about putting it on the store calendar? verbally promoting it to your customers? "donating" store credit as a prize for the players' tournament?

I'm not going to say I'm never obtuse or a neckbeard but you are straight up misrepresenting the announcement zoness quoted.

I mean, obviously a store can err on the side of not interacting with the player-run tournaments in any way whatsoever, but that leaves with the fact of it having a huge chilling effect on the ability of proxy tournaments to exist, which is what we were (rightfully) pissed off about at first, even before the apparent potential slide into the hilarity of Wizards banning people for sharpie jobs.

Wizards is just trying to create a dynamic life-format where player choices are more meaningful. They are subtly encouraging Magic players to do what they do best: liberally interpret vague rules to come to conclusions that benefit them personally. Wizards said "Cast Meddling Mage, naming 'Tournaments That Allow Proxies'" to which the astute Magic community can and will respond "OK then I cast 'Player-Organized Tournaments That Allow Proxies'"

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

JerryLee posted:

Actually I think you'll find that you never announced the "allow proxies" trigger when it went on the stack :smuggo:

It's not a "may" ability, scrub

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Zoness posted:

That's a SBE not a trigger.

Damage doesn't destroy fun, SBE do.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Death Bot posted:

Wonder what kinda punishment you'd get for showing up to a gp with a swamp that said "island" on it

what if you then played it as a Swamp though

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
So does anyone else think Sylvan Advocate has the potential to be stupid good? Isn't this guy gonna be the better part of a Tarmogoyf plus an additional upside a lot of the time? Plus recurrable with Ojutai's Command, seems real good to me.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Yeah I was wondering about that too. Reshaper didn't really seem to belong. I'm not crazy about Titans Presence either, I feel like this strategy would be better if you dipped into red for Vile Aggregate and some reach like Wild Slash and Exquisite Firecraft. Although I'm probably just looking for an excuse to play Firecraft because I like it.

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 18, 2016

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Oh ok I actually did misread that and overlook the "may"

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

En Fuego posted:

Yes I see that, but the inherent bonus of it is lost.

I think I'd rather run a BR Eldrazi deck, TBH.

I've been attempting to brew a decent BR Ghostfire Blade aggro deck and my main conclusion so far is that I really wish we still had Sulfurous Springs

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

kizudarake posted:

FNM is supposed to be more casual. The flatter the payout for the entry fee, the more casual it should be. If it's free entry and win a box prizing, it'll be full of grinders. If it's 5 dollar entry, everyone gets a pack, 1st gets 3 extra, second gets 2 extra, 3rd gets 1, it should be more casual.

But I wish this were true where I play. It's four dollar entry, usually a 16-20 pack split at top four and I don't remember the last time I didn't play either Jeskai Black or Abzan aggro rounds three and four.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
What are everyone's thoughts on Dimensional Infiltrator? It's an interesting card I think, it has a very narrow range of application but I think there are certain roles it could fill very well. Primarily I've been liking it in the Ghostfire Blade deck that I am goddamn determined to make work. The threat of being able to bounce it to dodge removal, even if on average the odds of it's ability hitting a land are less than 50%, is enough to make opponents generally not want to try in the first place. I love that it has flash too, between it and Ulamog's Nullifier it gives a counter-aggro strategy the options at instant speed it needs.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Another card I think could be really good soon, and certainly post-rotation, is Herald of Kozilek. There are so many cards that get stupid good when you knock a mana off the cost.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

The Shortest Path posted:

Literally kill everyone who plays this game

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Guys

Reality Smasher is completely absurd. The card just steals games by itself.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Sickening posted:

At its core it's just another pro saying he doesn't like a modern pro tour.

I kinda agree with his argument. The pros should have to be constantly adapting to format changes. He's mostly right that the idea of Modern is that you can play the same deck or two all the time, and I can definitely see why he would think that's lame for pros like him.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Ramos posted:

This Abzan Aggro deck is running Sylvan Advocate, which someone in here was thinking was pretty good. We'll see if it pulls its weight.

That was me, and I maintain that it is a very playable card. Six lands isn't a high threshold in a world of Explosive Vegetations and Oblivion Sowers. 4/5 vigilance with upside for 2 is definitely going to find a home, if maybe a limited one.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

mcmagic posted:

It's really not since it's meh as a 2/3 and by the time a deck with no ramp gets to 6 mana it's way outclassed.

It's not so much that it gets outclassed by then as it is that it's a two drop that scales up if it makes to the late game, and also I'm going to jam this guy and Noyan Dar and Ojutai's Command and stuff all together and it's gonna be sweet.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Why not have white for Mantis Rider also? And you get other good options like Silkwrap and Surge of Righteousness and Seeker of the Way. That's what I've been brewing.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
What are the lists you guys are seeing running for dudes? Just Swiftspear, Stormchaser and Jace? That seems so brittle.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Don't you hate it when people around you insist on trying to interact with you casually?

Sperling must be the kind of guy who just starts shouting his order when the Burger King cashier ask him "Would you like to try our...."

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

black potus posted:

satire implies skill in execution and comedic value

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's to never assume a Magic player is joking.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Count Bleck posted:

This joke was funny the first time, the subsequent 30 times that same day killed me inside.

In college, my girlfriend and I both worked at Wal-Mart and she hated this joke so much, before the customer could even get the entire sentence out, she would say "no it isn't", every single time, without the barest hint of levity. She was awesome.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Madmarker posted:

Luckily, I only spent one year in retail, I worked at a local grocery store chain, but in that year, that joke never really bothered me. What bothered me was the time we got robbed by a guy with a kitana or the time a homeless guy took a poo poo in the produce aisle.

The Wal-Mart I worked at made national news for having a meth lab set up in the bathroom.

Oooooo-klahoma!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Zoness posted:

Also sperling's article seems fine, really digged the part about a legendary llanowar elves.

Yeah I wholeheartedly agree with his 'creative deck names' point, just using the wedge names is so boring. For instance, if you're making a RWB deck and don't make a newspaper pun, I'm pretty sure you're doing it wrong.

Because it's black and white and read all over, you see

• Locked thread