Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

rabidsquid posted:

They could ban JTMS in Modern and it would be fine. Also they should unban Seat of the Synod.

Anyone who agrees with either part of this has never played a format where either are legal. JtMS specifically is actually one of the most broken cards ever printed, and including it in modern would warp the format entirely. Like, JTMS is one of the most powerful legal cards in legacy

Legalizing any artifact land would suddenly make affinity a broken deck as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Bugsy posted:

"Overwhelming Denial 2UU
Instant (R)
Surge UU
Overwhelming Denial can't be countered by spells or abilities.
Counter target spell."

If this translation is correct, wowzers.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Whoever decided flashback drafts shouldnt have swiss options should be shot. Like, why do you expect people to play formats they don't know, and that won't be around for more than a week, when they might only get to play a single game of them for 10$?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

BJPaskoff posted:

Am I the only one so turned off by #mtgfinance that I want to sell my collection and exclusively draft, or even just cube?

Sell off Modern when your poo poo spikes, buy Legacy cards, play the best format :getin:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sickening posted:

Its not the same list because his sideboard is just b/w.

I have actually watched an MTGO streamer from the UK stream b/w tokens and it looked really good sometimes and really poo poo others. It looks like Cho's list is pretty similar although its only what I can tell by his games because he doesn't have the list available for what he is playing now.

Basically

4x bitterblossom
4x procession
4x lingering souls
4x Auriok champion
4x path
Hand distruption + random black removal
4x Intangible Virtue
2x sorin
2x gideon

The disruption seems to be IoK, TS, and Duress at least 2x each (though some of it is in sb). He also has 4x path and I think 2x Murderous Cut in main. He's also running Windbrisk Heights, and I think 4x Gideon instead of 2.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Zoness posted:

Oh jeez he named Borborygmos instead of Boborygmos Enraged.

Laffo

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

He also asked the judge specifically before trying that so its not like they weren't aware this was going to happen.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Until WOTC announces something official or calls your store specifically, Id honestly say just keep running poo poo as is. gently caress them, make them create an official 'we hate players' policy if they want to stop proxy NON SANCTIONED events. Forget their lovely intimidation tactic bullshit.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Good news on the gameday playmat friends

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Telex posted:

The same language is basically on the Pre-Release deckbuilding sheets.

You cant pick up Wastes from a land station at the pre-release. You have to get them in your packs, they're seeded as common cards NOT basic land cards, and you have no guarantees to get any but I guess it's probably such that with the full art and the non-full art and 3 of each happening that you'll at least end up with 1 per pack.

The non full art wastes aren't going to be in packs I think, just in the precons.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Entropic posted:

So if I have Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth in play I can still tap a Wastes for colorless mana?

Yes, the same way you could tap a mountain for red still.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I actually bought some of these 2 months ago based off an MTGLion video. The Chinese fakes are two things: Hilariously bad or perfect. Some cards are brighter on the back and feel like poo poo and some others you can't tell it's a fake.

I just wanted to bring this back because in the time that I've been investigating chinese fakes (for real trying to find ways to identify them) I have still never seen one that isn't immediately obvious if you just pull out a loupe. This includes some of those fakes from a few months ago that people freaked out at a GP over.

If you're ever really worried about fakes, grab a loupe off amazon (its like 10 bucks) and just look at the text on the card. Is it printed as a hard-edged layer of ink above the printing on the rest of the card? Congrats, it's real, and I've seen no evidence anywhere of a fake being able to come close to matching that.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Do zombies have anything as aggressively costed as the 8 Lord of Atlantises?

No, most of the zombie lords are XX1 (Death Baron, Diregraf Captain, Lord of the Undead) or more (Risen Executioner, Mikeaus)

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 14, 2016

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Boco_T posted:

Saffron Olive had it on his "buy this now before it's $40" part of his article or something

Too bad his comparison were to two of the worst draft sets ever released. I'm not saying OOB will be good, but oath is going to be more opened than those two sets combined. He also forgets expeditions exist, which means even in a set like BFZ where's there's one good mythic, it's going to be available at 20-25$ in a month or two even if there's 0 other money cards.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Lancelot posted:

if there is funny magic stuff on twitter please embed them into this thread tia

https://twitter.com/MishrasFotoshop/status/686704349821689857

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

https://twitter.com/Meowzalot_/status/688226222900301824

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I'm actually far more interested in modern now that twin is banned than I have ever been. Grixis control is a fantastic deck in modern, it didn't need an "oops I won" factor on top of the best control shell in the format.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I actually had a conversation today with a real life "Reserved list is good", "Expensive modern is good" opinion-haver today. It was like talking to somebody from Mars - his argument was "You get into these formats the same way I did, by playing for years and trading up in to them! By buying cards smarter!" etc etc etc. He didn't seem to get that not everyone has been playing magic for a decade.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So Grand Prix DC has a 75$/head price, meaning its $225 per team.

loving :laffo:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Chill la Chill posted:

Lol who's hosting it? Thankfully there's an X-wing championship going on that weekend, so I know what I'm gonna do instead :3:

I poo poo you not this is a quote from reddit

"I'm saying renting an event venue in DC during an election year is going to be more expensive than in an off year."

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yeah someone mentioned this earlier but Fulminator Mage is probably a good thing to get now rather than later if you are thinking of getting them

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Angry Grimace posted:

Too bad Garruk Wildspeaker isn't legal :( It feels like there should be some kind of Overrun effect that doesn't actually exist.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Also also I quite legacy when TCruise was running around so Lands was a T1 deck at that time when everyone else was playing Omni and Miracles. We can argue about it if you want but that was its prime time as a deck in my opinion.

But the lands/miracles matchup is abysmal for lands with the new Karakas builds.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yo I really need that loss.jpg edit with the magic cards does anyone have that still

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Is this the one?

Yep thx

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sickening posted:

For those that love to make fun of mtgfinance.

http://blog.mtgprice.com/2016/01/27/why-you-should-get-a-real-job/

Yes, it has a lot of satire but a lot of that should be repeated to anyone you know that thinks that making money of magic is really a thing.

The best part of this is that Xemit wrote it. He's basically mtgfinance.txt, but is actually good enough at it to have paid his way through college.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

JerryLee posted:

There have been one or two people in here who unjokingly defended the reserved list on the basis that they didn't want their "investment" to be revealed for the fairy gold that it was (my words rather than theirs, obviously).

Guy at a local Prerelease said it was because "the reserved list is the only thing that keeps magic cards worth money" and said that "i worked, traded up, and bought smart for years to get into modern, other people can do that too" without a hint of irony.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Some Numbers posted:

Is he aware of the fact that literally zero cards in Modern are on the Reserve List and are all worth fucktons of money?

I mean jesus loving christ.

It's the (wrong) idea that if WotC could reprint anything at any time, WHY WOULD ANYTHING BE WORTH ANYTHING????

Ignoring the fact that WotC could reprint a card any time it hit 50$ tcgmid and every card would still just be 50$.

e; If anyone is going to Baltimore for the legacy 5k tomorrow we should say hello to each other

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

little munchkin posted:

hey yall question about a chronicles blood moon I recieved from puca trade

The card immediately felt odd to me, like it was lighter or something. I don't have any other chronicles cards to compare it to but it looks a bit thinner than other cards I compared it to. I'm not used to handling cards that old so maybe it's me just being paranoid/inexperienced. It passes the light test, but the art on the front face is slightly off-center and the art on the back is noticeably off-center.

How concerned should I be that card might be fake?

(from pucatrade)

Just look for hard edges on letters to show they were printed on a separate layer. Note that the dot pattern is going to be different on chronicles cards than the one shown here.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Zoness posted:

There's always this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvJyCL7Pemo

Warning: potato quality video, but very high quality jokes.

This is a classic vid

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So in upcoming set chat -

Rosewater mentioned on his blog that poison was the mechanic with the longest return time - 15 years not including TSP - but that another mechanic was returning within the next few years (0-3) that *might* take that record. e; It's explicitly not banding.

So, what could it be? This is the stuff in the right time range -

Cumulative Upkeep 2006 (10 years) - A contender, but 10 years isn't really close to 15. Plus, upkeep costs haven't really been a thing in general recently.
Fading 2000 (16 years) - Possible, but last I heard they didn't like fading because players didn't notice that they were getting an undercosted thing, just that it felt bad that it didn't stick around.
Madness 2002 (14 years) - Lots of really weird rules issues
Recover 2006 (10 years) - Again, 10 isn't 15, but has interesting graveyard synergies.
Ripple 2004 (12 years) - COOOOOLD SNAAAAAP Yeah no way this one is it but I can hope, ok?

Out of all of these, rules issues aside, it does actually seem like Madness has the best chance to be the returning mechanic. I could see Recover or Fading as well but I'd place them below Madness in terms of player excitement for a returning mechanic. I just hope it's after processors rotate.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 3, 2016

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

griselbrand is dead in-story so he can literally be never reprinted ever in any circumstances because of flavor and his ban from commander.

Not if they do the "Echos" thing that has been rumored.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Rinkles posted:

Flanking? (not including TSP)

Flanking is in a weird space according to MaRo in that it is named in such a way (HORSE CARDS) that the mechanic is difficult to use in a general context. The same problem arrives with Bushido and Ninjitsu.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The Real Foogla posted:

Treshhold

It's graveyard themed, Judgment was 2002

Threshhold is an ability word not a mechanic. That said, if MaRo wasn't being literal about "Mechanic" than it's a possibility.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Pontius Pilate posted:

I know you are not maro (or?) but how is flanking specific to horses or culturally specific like those other two? Pretty general tactical and strategic concept there.

Look at all of the cards that have flanking on them. They're all cavalry/horse cards.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Nibble posted:

So glad we get to hear BDM's labored breathing as he goes through the strenuous activity of "taking a walk"

https://twitter.com/MishrasFotoshop/status/695657336174723072

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Or Bosejui mana.

Well my point is it's a strict upgrade to Envelop which already sees play with some interesting implications.

It has implications but I honestly dislike the card - the last thing we need are more extirpate/surgical/etc effects at 1 mana.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why? Those cards don't harm anything as it is.

They're very swingy cards as is - you can completely disable a deck's ability to function because you happened to draw your sideboard card - and that effect is already why modern sucks as a format. If the 'solution' your deck has to another is "remove a card from being a play option" then you either A)Have it and win hands down or B) Don't have it and have no way to win

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Rogue0071 posted:

Whiffed CoCo into extracting CoCo (including one in hand). Brutal.

Yeah wow that surgical extraction was certainly a very skillful play and it totally wasn't entirely random that he won the game because of it |^:|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I think that t8 is 6 eldrazi, infect, and affinity.

The eldrazi decks are spread between UR, B, and BUG

• Locked thread