Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

wizards, hire this man at 60% of the market rate

A generous offer for Wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

They should pay the programming people more just so MTGO isn't as lovely otherwise it doesn't really affect anyone.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Cernunnos posted:

Giving the guys they already have a raise probably isn't going to make MTGO not a poo poo product.

They need to hire actually good programmers and give them the new improved wages to make it work. They also probably need more people on the team than however many they have right now.
This is basically what I meant in fewer words.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I am a Magic Judge.
I am a Magic Judge. I’ve worked hard to be able to call myself that. I’ve been mentored while working events, pre-tested, and tested. I’ve helped to foster the spirit of good sportsmanship between players and within Communities.
I am a Magic Judge. My road has been difficult. Sometimes I work an event with no expectation of remuneration. Other times, I’ve been well compensated - but the hours are long and the gratitude can be sparse. I review myself constantly. I review other Judges and their actions. I am, in turn, reviewed and hope that someone points out an area I can improve.
I am a Magic Judge. I spend time networking, teaching, and supporting. I have a cadre of friends, players and fellow Judges alike, who all help to prop me up for the next event. I live more off of high fives and smiles then I do off of compensation that often won’t cover much more than my travel expenses for the event given my place in the program.
I am a Magic Judge. My goal is to learn more every day and to be an asset to those around me. To be valued by TO’s. To be appreciated by players. To bring a sense of style and fair play to everyone I interact with at my LGS or GP. I live for that moment when someone yells, ‘Judge!’ in a crowded hall.
I’m a Magic Judge. I don’t Judge because I need some form of validation or because I want to be the ‘boss’. A shocking number of my contemporaries are introverts. Some of us even have difficulty leaving our house or being around groups of more than a few people. We Judge for the love of the game.
I am a Magic Judge. I walk miles of concrete flooring to take calls, distribute slips, watch matches, and clean up tables. I wish I could harness the energy of a fully-staffed GP - I sometimes think we’d give the 300 Spartans at the Battle of Thermopylae a run for their money. Romantic thoughts aside, the love for the game expressed by those who choose to ‘take the black’ is second to none in the gaming industry.
I am a Magic Judge. I’ll continue to Judge and hope that my community will respect my desire to help them, even as I see the program questioned from every angle this week. I’ll watch, assimilate new data, and hopefully find ways to see the positive in all of this turmoil. I’ll bide my time and until I’m actually asked for an opinion, I’ll do my job which is essentially a combination of volunteer and independent contractor (depending on the role I’m in at that moment).
I am a Magic Judge. I ask members of the community to recognize the program itself, from its core to the farthest reaches of our service area, is strong and will continue to produce arbitrators you can trust. I’m thankful to be a Judge and even more thankful to be in a position where I can help others pursue becoming a Judge.
I am a Magic Judge.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

kizudarake posted:

Where's this from? I want to see the comments.

It's an original post on the Something Awful Traditional Games forum by poster "Snacksmaniac."

OR I stole it from /r/mtgjudge or w/e

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Zoness posted:

As a one-of until the advent of ug madness tog, dredgeatog , and countertop tog.

Actually just look at all the different tog lists in this pro tour top 8:

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Events.aspx?x=mtgevent/ptla05/t8decks

Pretty sweet stuff.

I was not around for Dredgeatog and it looks hilarious.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

And I am sure Darth Vader was very upset the rebels stole the Death Star plans too.
Evil always attempts to justify their actions as legal, just and apt.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

GeneX posted:

I hope everyone in this thread is banned for the next 3 years, except MCMagic

A very, merry "same" from me.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Are the Expeditions our Christmas preview, wrapped in passive-aggressive bow?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Green/Blue. Blue is for Blighted Agent and some filtering/defense.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Madmarker posted:

No, Crux of fate still exists as a Wrath effect at 5 mana. It isn't a burn spell when you want it to be, and it isn't a wrath when you want it to be. Also it isn't a discard spell when you want it to be. That being said, the use of the word "unless" is good here, which would allow you to create scenarios where it is a 5 mana 10 damage burn spell, but even then, its not particularly good. It is splashy though.

edit-note I am speaking about constructed, in limited, I could see it having a home.

That's not really a punisher since you choose the mode not your opponent. Crux would be an awful punisher card!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I

Rinkles posted:

no comment

I love my tattoo free life.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Why isn't there a card with jealousy in the title? I wanted to quote the T Swifty pic with it.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Kilo147 posted:

I just need to figure out how to get a prerelease stamped Kozilek.

Money can be exchanged for goods and services.

I still want a pre ulamog because my birthday is on it.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

I want to throw Nicol Bolas in Tron now, help

You're a real hero

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I remember playing amulet bloom during theros standard. It's been around a while. Slayers stronghold was the card that made it work.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 4, 2016

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Wonder if that will make the mono black devoid modern deck that I don't understand yet.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Published by Mark Rosewater on his personal TumblrTM blog Blogatog by Mark Rosewater

There was a guy who used to write letters to the local newspaper with inspiration quotes from himself at the beginning. This irritates me far too much.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

The rare slot sure does have some great stuff that I will inevitably get every time I open a pack.

Will this card ever trigger ever?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

mcmagic posted:

This stupid thing wouldn't even be playable if you only had to do 3 of those 4 things....

I can do one in play, one in exile and one in graveyard easy with intuition!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

It's better than mill

Archive Trap baby.

Zoness posted:

It triggers every upkeep actually, I think.

Enough out of you.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I only read Maro quotes placed on inspirational backgrounds.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

What is mind? It doesn't matter. What is matter? Never mind
Neat card tho. Always cantrips.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Entropic posted:

The visual style is just too much of a dealbreaker for me.

In addition to the art style, the layout of the cards is just awful.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 12, 2016

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

if you're gonna post bad art from FoW, post from the set that consists of nothing but historical figures as cute anime girls.

Is there a magiccards.info esque gallery somewhere? I have to see.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

It gets better and better.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Ultima66 posted:

Reminder: WotC literally fired the previous community manager Mike Robles for making a tweet telling someone that it was okay for him to proxy an expensive card for his EDH deck if his playgroup was okay with it.

In Trick We Trust

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Your problem lies in that you are asking too many questions. I'm being serious. Hear me out.
Essentially, they're saying that - though their official policy is strict on proxies and counterfeits - they REALLY don't care about them actually being used given that they're not Chinese Counterfeits. Like they really don't care, at all.
The original post was made to ONE gaming store that was a private communication. By blowing it up, they now have to reiterate their official policy and refuse you the plausible deniability that we are so often given. Now, instead of ignoring it/giving a "warning" when some douchebag who gets DQ'd reports a store for allowing proxies, they have to follow-through on their promise because we made this private email (which acts as a first warning to that specific LGS), very public (now a first warning to every LGS).
Essentially, when you ask about a policy, they are going to quote you the official policy (the one that protects them legally). NOT the plausible deniability that they give us between the lines.
By blowing this up, we're FORCING them to enforce certain policies that they don't really care to enforce because not doing so would hurt their ability to enforce it when it really matters (in the courts vs. Chinese counterfeiters for example).
tl;dr: In public, when you ask them, they have to quote official policy, but they're winking at you when doing so. If you don't get it, What Trick is saying is the official policy. What Helene is saying is the "Wink" (she's winking really hard). STOP ASKING FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

odiv posted:

This was literally quoted on the previous page.

I blame switching from mobile to desktop.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Also PM where you're ordering from so I can tell WOTC order too.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

There have been pre-releases with unplayable promos haven't there? Like something where there was just one promo? Can't remember but I feel that's happened since Innistrad?
They only became playable in R2R block prereleasese.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I completely missed

quote:

If you see something in a private venue that you can reasonably believe is real, especially if it's prior to preview season, you may be in possession of stolen property.
You wouldn't download a car!

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 14, 2016

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Ciprian Maricon posted:

you don't need to be a pedantic prick

What's the point of posting on this website then?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Someone stop me from making a Trick Jarrett parody twitter.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Archenteron posted:

Sharpied Trick Jarrett Playtest Tweets

Doesn't fit. Will have to be Proxy Trick Jarrett

Email submission to therealtrick420@gmail.com

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The two at at least mythics that have always been strong :shrug:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Amulet still basically exists too, just without bullshit turn1/2 kills. Play explore and extra Azusa instead of bloom. It can do close to the same thing but a little slower, and that's not a bad thing.

Yea or maybe it morphs a little bit with more utility lands or finds other way to cheat prime time. I think there will still be a prime time deck with amulet somehow. Really depends on what else rises.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

This is one embarrassing hobby.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Chairman Pow! posted:

As someone switching from standard to modern, I just don't get where modern fits into Wizard's picture. How does it make money for them? Why aren't they actually monetizing it in a way that draws players in?

Its so drat expensive and hard to get into the format, why dont the sell more modern products with staples for like 75-80% of secondary market and let me buy them and play? Why not push modern products I can buy to coincide with the Pro Tour and monetize that way? I get they cant profit from modern in the same way as standard, but why not let me give Wizards money to get a modern deck going instead of secondary markets?

Because WOTC.
They're really gun shy about reprint sets. When they do reprint stuff, the casual cards end up dropping in price permanently but most of the actual staples end up going back up. They played it real safe on the Modern Event Deck and even MM2 seemed to be a bit lacking (compared to MM1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

mcmagic posted:

There is zero reason for Inquisition to not be a FNM promo so at minimum.

I hope they do more modern FNM promos. They had an excuse last summer with MM2015 so who knows what their next excuse will be.

anglachel posted:

Yes. Playing against the deck makes me think Jund and Tron had a Baby. Eldrazi Temple, Eye of Ugin, and Urborg combo has been compared to Workshops. It turns out that combining 2 Cards (Eye of Ugin and Urborg) to make a Eldrazi Workshop is pretty good. And Oath has given Eldrazi some serious value creatures. A turn 2 Thought Knot Seer, followed by a turn 3 Blight Herder (which you can then cash the Scion tokens to get ANOTHER Blight Herder) is a serious threat. Combine that with the inevitabitely of a deck that runs Ulamog and also has ways to tutor for him and it's really strong. Plus it gets

I've been playing a black list with new cards in it. It gets tricky because Eye + Urborg still can't cast Thought Knot, but other than that, it is sick as hell. Oblivion Sower and Urborg is great because you can snag fetch lands and they don't go to waste.
So uh post your lists people I want to try them out.

• Locked thread